The Official PlayStation® Thread: PLAYSTATION 4 ANNOUNCED

SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
WATCH PS4 CONFERENCE HERE

"It Only Does Everything™"

Well, not really--It can't make you breakfast, bend light, and a whole bunch of other things. All the same, here's the new PlayStation®3 thread. Below are items that cover most, if not all, aspects of PS3 gaming.

BULLETIN BOARD
  • FOR POTENTIAL EUROPEAN PS3 BUYERS: THE PS3 IS VERY LIKELY TO DROP IN PRICE FROM £249.99 TO £199.99, WITH SOME SHOPS PREPARED TO GO AS LOW AS £179.99. VERY, VERY SOON. STAY POSTED.
  • FOR PEOPLE WITH A COPY OF DEMON'S SOULS: IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE GAME YET AND ARE PLANNING TO, YOU HAVE UNTIL OCTOBER TO DO SO. DEMON'S SOULS ONLINE SERVERS WILL BE SHUT DOWN TO MAKE WAY FOR DARK SOULS SERVERS.
  • PSN SUMMER SALE GOING ON NOW! 30% OFF OF 11 GAMES! CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.
THIS WEEK'S STORE UPDATE (08/09/2011)
Spoiler:

CUSTOMIZATION
Want your PS3 personalized the way you want? Read on.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

MAINTENANCE
Want your Triple to last long? Up your maintenance game.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

MEDIA SERVERS

Media Servers are great for boosting your PS3's capabilities as a media center powerhouse. Below is a list of good media server programs you can install on your computer or laptop to use for streaming media to your PS3.

GAMES
Last, but not least, the recommended games list. The list includes both exclusive and multiplatform games (Exclusives are marked with EXCLUSIVE tags. semi-EXCLUSIVE means that there is also a version of the game either on some phone device or PC). Let me know if I'm missing some games. Especially in the 'Games on the Horizon' section. I'm not bothering with Move, EyeToy, or Mini games.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

3D GAMES AND MOVIES
Spoiler:

GAME-SHARING
Spoiler:

MISCELLANEOUS LINKS

Q&A
  • Q: Are all PS3's backwards-compatible?
    A: Not exactly. All PS3s backwards-compatible with PS1 games. The discontinued 60GB Phat PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games as well. Some special edition 80GB Phat PS3s (Like the Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB) are also backwards compatible with PS2 games. No Slim PS3s are backwards-compatible with PS2 games.
  • Q: When my PlayStation+ subscription expires, do I lose all of the games I purchased while under subscription?
    A: No. You only lose the games you got for free.
  • Q: When my PlayStation+ subscription expires, are my cloud saves stored on Sony's servers forever?
    A: No. Your saves are stored for 6 months after your PS+ subscription expires. After 6 months the files are deleted from Sony's servers and forever lost to you.
SEND ME YOUR QUESTIONS/ANSWERS

FINAL NOTE
Spoiler:
Post edited by SWBeta on

Comments

• StabbyStabby 北丐 Joined: Posts: 4,050 ✭✭
    Nothing about the highly-likely price drop to $199 soon?
    Matriarch...Cook?
    Yeah right. Wouldn't trust a recipe from that one. Snake venom. "Eye of Newt."
    --WTF-AKUMA-HAX
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleach Soul Resurrection (name change, I guess? It was "Soul Ignition" before) is coming... YESSSSS http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-bleach-soul/716827

From that and the few youtube vids I see online, the only thing I don't like so far is the serious lack of variety in the screams of enemies that are getting killed... it seems like there's just 2 or 3 recordings of 1 guy screaming, and they use that for all the low-level chumps you kill throughout some of the levels... Example (Barragan!!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4qehIpb6U Notice all the times you hear that "WUAAAAHHHH!" death scream from those guys....yeah, we might have to put that on mute.
  • SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stabby:
    Your post is the first I've heard of it. Will update thread now.
  • subt-Lsubt-L Cold Blooded Joined: Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good job. lets get this going...
    it's worse than that now. People seem to NOT understand that I'm actually crushed by this whole thing. it makes me question my motives, my ambitions, my goals, and the fact that I looked up to these guys. Yet, it just a damn joke. I'm mad as hell right now, and this all couldve been squashed professionally. No one cares about that.
    - Shatterstar
  • EvilRyuXEvilRyuX Buttered Toast. Joined: Posts: 643 ✭✭
    Can't believe UC3 beta is just 3 days away. Can't wait for it.

Also, got 3 extra months of PS+ and that Sonic 20th Bundle.
    (((1st Av by ytwojay))) (((Graffiti Av by Nastradamus)))

Yasashiyama: Bitches, I make diifii look like fucking JOHN LEGEND. I make girls turn into lesbians, back straight and then gay. TWICE. I'm Justin Wong with Darkwing Duck assist in this shit!
  • hanzohattori1hanzohattori1 Dust to Dust, Amen Joined: Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Dark Souls for games on the horizon, please.
  • Mr. BastosMr. Bastos Sexy Commando! Joined: Posts: 2,132 ✭✭
    Finished Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty. I remember people saying it was short, but damn that was extremely short. Fun game though, I definitely want to try and grab Tools for Destruction and A Crack in Time now.
    "I have nothing to lose but my life, and I got that for free."
    -Setzer FFVI

"Why did God give me a brain and a penis, but not enough blood to use them both at the same time?" -Robin Williams
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    I once again would like to recommend for Action RPG+Hack and Slash fans that Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll is a decent game. It's 60+ hours long, and one of the characters can put 50-foot giants into an arm-lock. Oh and one of the abilities you learn is GEN'EI JIN.
    EDIT: UC3 beta is soon? Anyone know the size of the beta will be?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • RampageRampage Join Date: Mar 2010 Joined: Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HDD Expansion
    Ran out of space on the stock hard drive in your PS3? Want to upgrade?

Western Digital 250GB HDD
    Western Digital 500GB HDD
    Western Digital 750GB HDD

Western Digital is the highest quality HDD brand you can get for your PS3, imo. As of now, they don't have a 1TB HDD of the PS3's 2.5" HDD size, so 750GB is the highest you can get now, which should already be more than enough.

Side Note: Newegg is an amazing website for ordering these things. I don't think they charge shipping for these HDDs (they didn't charge me shipping), and they were FAST. My credit card info was authorized and the 750GB HDD I ordered was at my house a day and a half later. So yeah, I give Newegg my highest recommendations. For those of you late bloomers looking to jump into the HD age, they've also got great HDTVs at great prices, so check them out!

While I don't really mind adding the opinion that WD is the best drive you can get (as long as it's listed as opinion, which you have covered :tup:), I think you should ensure that the essentials are in place as well.

I.E., make sure that people know that any brand 2.5" SATA drive will work, and that all is needed is a Phillips-head screwdriver to make the change. That information may be included in the videos, but with todays users, nobody is going to watch through them to find out something like that - they're just going to ask in here instead. Whether it is hard disk drive/solid state drive/hybrid drives, 7,200/5,400 RPMs, 8mb/16mb/32mb cache etc. will all function within the PS3.

Also, it is probably worth mentioning that some people have said that there are noticeable gains with a drive with higher RPMs. One source: http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/138288/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-does-ps3-hard-drive-speed-matter/

Also, there are noticeable gains again when going from from HDD to SSD, one source here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/618428?start=0&tstart=0

Great work again. :party:

edit: Also, are you considering adding an "EXCLUSIVE" flag on the games that are exclusive? Or perhaps breaking them out into their own sub-category? That is a question that is asked very often - "what are some suggest exclusives?" - in both this thread and the 360 one, so I think it may be worthwhile.
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dat title. Why do you torment me SWBeta?
    Strider still sucks.
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least we're getting a HD collection for now lol. Can't wait for that.
    Strider still sucks.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second week of U3 beta, I'll be nowhere with internet access...damn.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    Good points, Rampage. I'll edit the op as necessary when I get home. Gomu, it's okay. The title torments me too. Kojima needs to rectify this 'mistake. '
  • SS The True Enemy Joined: Posts: 870 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to recommend Vanquish for the list of recommended games, as well as Anarchy Reigns for games on the horizon.
  • Buster WolfBuster Wolf Are you okay? Joined: Posts: 738 ✭✭✭
    Well, after doing a lot of digging and trying everything under the sun to get my HDMI signal back, I'm moving to the last resort: reformatting the hard drive. What a royal pain in the ass. Apparently, even the quick format won't fix this particular problem, only the extremely long (18 hours in my case) one will. And all for a petty firmware update.
    Well, after doing a lot of digging and trying everything under the sun to get my HDMI signal back, I'm moving to the last resort: reformatting the hard drive. What a royal pain in the ass. Apparently, even the quick format won't fix this particular problem, only the extremely long (18 hours in my case) one will. And all for a petty firmware update.
    Where did you get information that this would resolve your issue? Firmware is not stored on the hard drive, and neither are system settings like video output as far as I know, so I'm kinda doubtful that it will work... :S

Also, I've upgraded my 80gb fat and my 120gb slim without any similar issues. What model do you have? Are there other places you've found that have pointed to this update being the cause of the issue you're having?
  • Buster WolfBuster Wolf Are you okay? Joined: Posts: 738 ✭✭✭
    People posting comments on the firmware update thread on the official blog seem to be having similar and other problems after the update. Someone there said that reformatting fixed their problem, but I did a lot of searching on the net before actually starting the reformat and It seems this has happened to some other people after past updates. And from what I've read, unless you simply have a bad cable, which I don't, a full reformat is the only way to fix it. I also had a friend at work last night tell me that's what he had to do about a year ago when his HDMI stopped working all of a sudden. My model is the 40GB LE MGS4 console.

Maybe it isn't the update, but that's pretty much the only thing I've done on my PS3 in a week and right after is when it quit working. Also, there was a thread I found on the official forums from back in 08 where like 15 different people had this happen right after a new firmware. Seems weird to me too, but whatever, I just hope it works.
  • BoelBoel all this post up in your butt Joined: Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool man, well, I hope it resolves your issues. Good luck :)

@king boelslaw: I really, really like buttons instead of the touch sensitive crap, too. It was really cool at first to be like "WOO I MAKED MAGIC" but then my dog would swipe her nose across the eject button and shoot out my discs, and it sucked. :P
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    I'm REALLY enjoying Darksiders so far....thanks for the input guys!
    No problem man.

I like the touch sensitive "Buttons" on the 360Slim. I thought they where rather bad on the fat PS3.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
  • NAPNAP Joined: Posts: 767 ✭✭✭
    Is Bayonetta on PS3 really as bad as people say?
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont care either way. I use my controller to turn the damn things on and off and to eject games.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    No. It's not as sharp graphically and the load times suck ass unless you install the game on the HDD. Otherwise it's fine. They both suffer from the same amount of slow down which is next to none.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    It was worse than most people would admit to until it got patched.
    99% of the problems have long since been resolved. It's a safe bet to get it now, and while I didn't enjoy it, I am definitely in the minority (everyone else seems to love it)
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Lion's Roar Joined: Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭
    So does anyone here know how to get all the evil side missions to show up in inFamous?
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Zap Mama / Souls of Mischief / ChocQuibTown / Nas / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Salsa Son Tiba
  • mowrmowr B-L-A-C-K ✝ S-A-B-B-A-T-H Joined: Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Yo fuck Bayonetta. If you want to feel uncomfortable around family and friends you need to play this game.
    Nothing is good anymore.
  • DivineChaos97DivineChaos97 Thorhalen Joined: Posts: 928
    Dat 1st post :tup:
    So does anyone here know how to get all the evil side missions to show up in inFamous?

Gotta get to inFamous status, there's some other limits that escape me, but I might be wrong.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to recommend Vanquish for the list of recommended games, as well as Anarchy Reigns for games on the horizon.

I wholeheartedly second this. There is no reason for a masterpiece like Vanquish to not be on this list.
    PSN/XBL ID: Gasarocky
  • Las Vegas PimpLas Vegas Pimp XBL: Da Big Punisher Joined: Posts: 3,568
    So limited games.
    Still have that SRK OG mentality.
    Dat 1st post :tup:

Gotta get to inFamous status, there's some other limits that escape me, but I might be wrong.

I'm already at inFamous Rank, but no missions are showing up at all. It's been like this for a week. I've 100% all territories and Dead Drops. I just need the rest of the evil side missions.
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Zap Mama / Souls of Mischief / ChocQuibTown / Nas / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Salsa Son Tiba
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭
    Yo fuck Arcana Heart 3. If you want to feel uncomfortable around family and friends you need to play this game.

Fixed.

Shit happened to me like a month ago. It detected HDMI, but wouldn't show, using SD cables worked. Doing the reset wouldn't work. Basically I quit trying, unplugged it and didn't touch it for almost a week, and then when I tried it, fired right up on HDMI.

I have a 60GB.
    Playing: GTA Online. Saints Row 4. WWE2K14. Killer Instinct. Forza 5.
    XBL DiegoElFuego

• daydaydayday BalletOfDestruction Joined: Posts: 2,191
    @Stabby:
    Your post is the first I've heard of it. Will update thread now.
    £199 is what I read about, there isn't any news about a $199 MSRP for PS3. Highly unlikely it will go from $299 to $199 without staying at $249 for some time whenever it does even drop to $249.
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,471 mod
    Yo fuck Bayonetta. If you want to feel uncomfortable around family and friends you need to play this game.

It isn't as bad as the hostess section in Yakuza 4. It was pretty much dress-up Barbie time.
  • Grand ichiGrand ichi Gotta Luv a Females Legs Joined: Posts: 117
    Nice thread
    Just You're Average Troll
    Who knew so many good games came out of Finland? You fools should have let me know that Ari Pulkinnen composed for Outlands... I would have been on that shit the nanosecond it was uploaded to PSN Store servers.
    Post-install patch, not at all. Difference is very minimal and not very noticeable, outside of color richness. Check spoiler tag to see a side by side comparison.
    Spoiler:

You probably fucked up and did some good side missions by accident. If not, try getting max evil karma (You'll get a trophy when you do) and see if they pop up.
    £199 is what I read about, there isn't any news about a $199 MSRP for PS3. Highly unlikely it will go from $299 to $199 without staying at $249 for some time whenever it does even drop to $249.

I did some research and I think you're right. I've seen only speculation that NA regions might get a price cut as a result of the EU region price cut that will be announced in August.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Midwest Decepticon Joined: Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to get the 2 free PS3 Welcome back games..................without using a PS3?
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    Is there a way to get the 2 free PS3 Welcome back games..................without using a PS3?
    You could possibly use a PSP to claim them on your PSN account.
    The only other way I could think of is using Sony Media Go on your PC.
    Both options only give me access to the PSP sections.................no luck on the PS3.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Then the answer is no, LOL.

I guess you are going to have to find somebody you trust to do it on their PS3 for you.
  • BIGWORMBIGWORM made the NSFW thread in IMM (RIP in pieces) Joined: Posts: 3,471 mod
    You should be able to log into your PSN through a friend's PS3, access the store, activate Plus (if you want), and at least "purchase" the games, then download them whenever you get a PS3 going. That was an obvious answer that I'm sure you've already considered, but don't have the ability of doing.
    Yeah...............I just need to get my friend to do that for me this week.
    I was expecting to get my PS3 fixed by then.............but now it won't be the case.

I'm gonna wait for that price drop before getting a new PS3..............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Who knew so many good games came out of Finland? You fools should have let me know that Ari Pulkinnen composed for

You probably fucked up and did some good side missions by accident. If not, try getting max evil karma (You'll get a trophy when you do) and see if they pop up.

Yeah I only decided to become evil when such and such such and suched that girl. I did 2 good side missions before I became evil.

• PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a limit when you can use the 'welcome back' package?
    I've yet to download any of the free games offered to me, nor have I started my PS+.

I'm not very interested in the games they offer, and nothing special has came out, in terms of discounts, for the PS+ just yet.
    Kind hope I got the PS+ sooner or whatever, 'cause Dungeon Hunter Alliance is on discount for that game with Plus.
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    I know that the Welcome Back package ends 30 days after PSN went back up..................

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Is there a limit when you can use the 'welcome back' package?
    I've yet to download any of the free games offered to me, nor have I started my PS+.

I'm not very interested in the games they offer, and nothing special has came out, in terms of discounts, for the PS+ just yet.
    Kind hope I got the PS+ sooner or whatever, 'cause Dungeon Hunter Alliance is on discount for that game with Plus.

It's not going to last forever. I've heard that Sony is going to pull the plug on the offer soon. Like, early next month soon. I think someone posted the info in the old thread.
    Yeah I only decided to become evil when such and such such and suched that girl. I did 2 good side missions before I became evil.

Yeah, you'll have to start a new game then. Once you do a good side mission, its evil counterpart is locked out permanently, and vice versa.

Downloading me 'dat Outland. Game looks gorgeous, as expected from team Housemarque. Check it out:
    Spoiler:

This game is Prince of Persia + Ikaruga + Super Metroid. Yeah, I know, you can stop fapping now. That's trife.
    Finished Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty. I remember people saying it was short, but damn that was extremely short. Fun game though, I definitely want to try and grab Tools for Destruction and A Crack in Time now.

Every single Ratchet & Clank game that was developed by Insomniac are AAA+ titles. Amazing, high quality experiences, imo. Definitely give Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time a try. Play ToD first. All 3 games are a trilogy, actually. Timeline goes like: ToD > QfB > CiT.

R&C3: Up Your Arsenal is legend. Back when online servers were up... So much fun, it was criminal.
  • subt-Lsubt-L Cold Blooded Joined: Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a shame they haven't announced a ratchet hd bundle yet. yeah, R&C 1 might be a little dated controls-wise, but all those games are remarkably well polished.

yet, they are coming out with a new bundle with all 4 one with all the ToD and CiT packaged along with it... which would be a great deal if most people didn't have these games already...
    it's worse than that now. People seem to NOT understand that I'm actually crushed by this whole thing. it makes me question my motives, my ambitions, my goals, and the fact that I looked up to these guys. Yet, it just a damn joke. I'm mad as hell right now, and this all couldve been squashed professionally. No one cares about that.
    - Shatterstar
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭
    I actually don't like Outland that much. I'm working on the final boss right now though.

The problems I have with the game is way too many areas where when you fall into a pit, you have to complete an area you ALREADY completed all over again. Considering how slowly you have to take some of the "puzzles" to complete them correctly this gets really frustrating.

Second is the ability moves having ammo is just dumb. They should just tone down the strength of them(aside from the "bomb" move) and make them free.

Third is just the overall bad design of certain situations that just doesn't need to happen at all. Some of the puzzles are just completely annoying, not fun, and completing them doesn't give me any sense of accomplishment, shit is just retarded sometimes. Also what the fuck is up with the last boss making you climb all the way up the ladder EVERY time. That shit is unnecessary.

Another thing that disappointed me is I didn't really feel like the usage of the color switching for platforming was very creative. It's a GREAT idea, but it was rarely pulled off in an interesting way.
    PSN/XBL ID: Gasarocky