The SRK Science Thread 2.0

white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!!Joined: Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
First order of business:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110524-densest-matter-created-lhc-alice-big-bang-space-science/
NatGeo wrote:

Densest Matter Created in Big-Bang Machine

"Besides black holes, there's nothing denser" we've seen, physicist says.

A superhot substance recently made in the Large Hadron Collider (pictures) is the densest form of matter ever observed, scientists announced this week.
Known as a quark-gluon plasma, the primordial state of matter may be what the entire universe was like in the immediate aftermath of the big bang.
The exotic material is more than a hundred thousand times hotter than the inside of the sun and is denser than a neutron star, one of the densest known objects in the universe.
"Besides black holes, there's nothing denser than what we're creating," said David Evans, a physicist at the University of Birmingham in the U.K. and a team leader for the LHC's ALICE detector, which helped observe the quark-gluon plasma.
"If you had a cubic centimeter of this stuff, it would weigh 40 billion tons."
Densest Matter Acts Like Perfect Liquid
By triggering hundreds of thousands of high-speed collisions each second, physicists using the LHC hope to break subatomic particles into even more basic forms of matter, which can be used to study what the universe was like a trillionth of a second after the big bang.
LHC scientists made the quark-gluon plasma last year by smashing together lead ions—lead atoms that have been stripped of their electrons—at nearly the speed of light.
As the name suggests, quark-gluon plasma is made up of quarks and gluons. Quarks are the elementary building blocks of positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, which make up atomic cores. Gluons are particles that "glue" quarks together using the so-called strong force.
It's thought that, as the universe cooled, the quark-gluon plasma that existed after the big bang coalesced to form matter as we know it today. (Related: "Strange Particle Created; May Rewrite How Matter's Made.")
The quark-gluon plasma created at the LHC is about twice the amount and about twice as hot as quark-gluon plasma previously made using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, New York.
Still, the plasmas created by the two machines are very similar, scientists said this week during the Quark Matter 2011 Conference in Annecy, France. For example, scientists have now confirmed that both versions behaved like so-called perfect liquids, with nearly zero friction.
"If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever," Evans explained.
Some theories predict that, in the extreme heat of the very early universe, quarks and gluons would have been even more widely spaced, creating a quark-gluon plasma that behaved like a gas. The ALICE team is therefore looking for evidence of gas-like behavior in the early stages of their quark-gluon plasma formation.
"There are slight differences between our measurement and RHIC's," Evans said.
"It could well be that in the very early stages [of our quark-gluon plasma], it's behaving more like a gas, and then as it cools it turns into a liquid, but we will need to investigate this further."
Highs and Lows of Making Matter
If this gas-to-liquid transition has indeed been observed, it would be surprising, since theory predicts that it should occur at much higher temperatures than those currently being produced at the LHC, said Thomas Ludlam, chair of the physics department at Brookhaven.
"I would regard the ALICE claim that they may be seeing hints of this as very interesting, but rather speculative at this stage," said Ludlam, who was not involved in the project.
The results are nevertheless very exciting, he added. "They show that the LHC"—which went online in 2009 after more than a year's delay due to mechanical problems—"is squarely in the game now."
(Related: "LHC Gets First Results; Step Toward 'God Particle'?")
Also, by comparing the lower energy quark-gluon plasma created at the RHIC with the higher energy version from the LHC, scientists could gain a better understanding of how and when the substance changed as the universe cooled, Ludlam said.
"I think we're now at a point where, with these two machines, we can look over a very wide energy range at the properties of the quark-gluon plasma as it evolves with temperature and density," Ludlam said.
With this goal in mind, he added, RHIC scientists have been trying for the past year to create a quark-gluon plasma at even lower energies, to find the temperature at which quarks and gluons come together to form protons and neutrons.
Meanwhile, the LHC is still operating at only half of its maximum energy, and the ALICE team expects to create even denser forms of quark-gluon plasma as the machine ramps up in the future.

I'm interested in how gravity would behave with matter so dense on such a small scale? Quark-Gluon plasma sounds delicious.
It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!

Comments

• Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    Wasn't there a possibility of that thing sucking the town it's in through the Earth or some shit?

And we need a flux capacitor nao.
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wasn't there a possibility of that thing sucking the town it's in through the Earth or some shit?

And we need a flux capacitor nao.
    No, there wasn't a threat; just media sensationalism as usual.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    Ok, so this Quark-Gluon Plasma is the heaviest piece of matter...ever. And it spins forever? That's kinda OP. :rofl: How the fuck can you move that shit and will they ever disclose how much they have?
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

• Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    So...like....SCIENCE! or just Science?
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    Ok, so this Quark-Gluon Plasma is the heaviest piece of matter...ever. And it spins forever? That's kinda OP. :rofl: How the fuck can you move that shit and will they ever disclose how much they have?
    I don't believe they store it. I am pretty sure they can only create it for a split second.
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • Sheng-LongSheng-Long Joined: Posts: 1,419

It only exists for a reallly really really really really really really short time . The scientists know that they have created it because of the evidence it left (trace readings on the surrounding environmental effects, etc), not because it was observed directly (by the eyes, because it is humanly impossible to do so).
    Lol whut?

So its tracings still contained the info of it weighing 40 billion tons, and identified it as a perfect liquid?

• Sheng-LongSheng-Long Joined: Posts: 1,419
    It can only be either liquid or gas. Depending on the subparticle interactions thereafter, they can determine whether it is gas or liquid because of the behaviour of the trace and resulting particles. They recreate what they believe the behaviour is when the collision happened from the resulting evidence (similar to how CSI recreates the murder scene and arrives at a conclusion) using mathematical models.

The 40 billion tonne weight is the hypothetical sum IF it is a cubic millimetre combined (they only created a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny*N fraction of that mass). It illustrates the denseness (is that a word?) of the tiny particles they are working with. A drop of water barely weighs anything but how big of a tank would be needed if they need 40 billion tonnes of water? This thing weights 40 billion tonnes already if it is the size of a cubic millimetre, so it the size they are working with to keep it within reasonable energy requirements to reproduce is unimmaginably small.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200512/mixed-race-pretty-face
    wrote:
    Mixed Race, Pretty Face?
    wrote:
    wrote:

Eurasians may possess genetic advantages that lead to greater health and enhanced beauty.
    By William Lee Adams, published on January 01, 2006 - last reviewed on September 28, 2006

Actor Keanu Reeves and supermodel Devon Aoki have more in common than fame, fortune and good looks—both are also part Asian. Known in popular culture by the Hawaiian term hapa (meaning "half"), people with mixed Asian and European origins have become synonymous with exotic glamour. In Hong Kong and Singapore, half-Asian models now crowd runways once dominated by leggy blondes. In the elite world of Asian fashion, half-Asian is the new white.
    The trend may seem little more than an effect of 21st century globalization. As more individuals of mixed descent achieve fame (think Norah Jones and Tiger Woods), it seems natural that society would embrace the mixed look. Media exposure, however, doesn't fully explain the perception of hapa beauty.
    Eurasians may possess genetic advantages that lead to greater health and, as a result, enhanced attractiveness. That's according to a study, the first to find that hapa faces are rated as more beautiful than European or Japanese faces. Researchers say the finding may extend to other racial mixes as well.

The experiment by Gillian Rhodes, a psychologist at the University of Western Australia, found that when Caucasian and Japanese volunteers looked at photos of Caucasian, Japanese and Eurasian faces, both groups rated the Eurasian faces as most attractive. These visages were created by first digitally blending a series of faces from each race into "composites" to create average, middle-of-the-road features typical of each race. Past studies show that "average" features are consistently rated as more attractive than exaggerated features—such as an unusually wide forehead or a small chin.
    The finding that Japanese and white subjects preferred mixed-race faces was surprising because, earlier in the same study, most volunteers rated their own race as more beautiful than others. That is, white people typically prefer whites when choosing an ideal image of beauty; blacks prefer blacks; etc.
    So why might hapas be considered particularly beautiful? Evolutionary psychologists say it's because Eurasians and other mixed race individuals appear healthier. Humans, like other animals, look for markers of good genetic health in their quest for a reproductive partner. Take facial symmetry, for example: Studies show that, whether they know it or not, people prefer individuals with evenly spaced eyes and other signs of congruence. In evolutionary terms, these markers are associated with healthy conditions in the womb. Infants exposed prenatally to toxins or pathogens may develop facial irregularities and asymmetry. The human brain may be wired to avoid these overt cues of lackluster health, says R. Elisabeth Cornwell, a psychologist at the University of Colorado. "The signs of beauty are the signs of health," she says. Rhodes' findings seem to fit this paradigm: Participants in her study said the Eurasian faces appeared healthier, too.
    Similarly, evidence suggests that half-Asians' diverse genetic ancestry would enhance health. According to evolutionary psychologist Randy Thornhill, at the University of New Mexico, "If you hybridize two genetically diverse populations—another way of saying you cross races—then you create more genetic diversity in the offspring."
    Genetic diversity, or heterozygosity, is associated with a lower incidence of some diseases. Genetic diseases, such as hemophilia and Tay-Sachs, occur when a person inherits two copies of a defective gene. This is more likely to happen in isolated populations with little genetic diversity.
    In 2004, Craig Roberts, professor of biology at the University of Newcastle in the U.K., found the first direct link between diverse genes and facial attractiveness. He examined genes of the major histocompatability complex (MHC)—a set of genes crucial to a well-functioning immune system. Photos of people with the greatest MHC diversity were rated more attractive than individuals with less MHC diversity. Here, actual health—the ability to resist infection—was linked to perceptions of attractiveness. Roberts believes this preference helps humans pick healthy mates.
    Which features radiate both health and beauty? One may be the appearance of the skin. In a second experiment, Roberts found that women rated close-up photos of heterozygous males' skin as healthier than close-ups of homozygous males' skin, and these judgments correlated with ratings of overall attractiveness.
    Ostensibly, evidence that Caucasians and Asians prefer mixed race faces counters a major tenet of mating theory: that we are drawn to partners who resemble ourselves, such as those with similar hair and eye color.
    So does this new research explain the popularity of Brazilians, who frequently have blended racial heritage, as fashion models? That remains to be seen. Says Rhodes: "If a preference for mixed-race faces occurs for many different mixes, we could be more confident that it is tapping into something fundamental about human perceptions of attractiveness."

So my anecdotal beliefs that racial admixtures do tend to create more symmetrical and possess universally attractive features bears some scientific truth.

Also this documentary was very informative as well: http://www.toflo.com/category/all/film-tv/documentary-is-it-better-to-be-mixed-race/

• MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's like a void, in magnetic fields! Sounds interesting.
  • remonsterremonster Joined: Posts: 553

Uh yeah, any article that says Devon Aoki has good looks should be immediately thrown out. I find psychology interesting, but studies like these make the field a joke.
    Uh yeah, any article that says Devon Aoki has good looks should be immediately thrown out. I find psychology interesting, but studies like these make the field a joke.

It's more than psychology, there's also intensive genetic studies on the topic. Watch the linked documentary as well.

Antimagnet tech was something I thought about a long time ago, visible light is essentially just a part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,424 mod
    LHC: Higgs boson 'may have been glimpsed'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16158374

Man, I need to get myself leveled up in the hard sciences. Social Sciences are nice and all but they get no respect (good reasons why they do sometimes though).

With Higgs Boson we shall harness the energy of God. We are well on our way to the 4th Bountiful Human Empire.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Man, I need to get myself leveled up in the hard sciences. Social Sciences are nice and all but they get no respect (good reasons why they do sometimes though).

With Higgs Boson we shall harness the energy of God. We are well on our way to the 4th Bountiful Human Empire.
    As far as I can gather, the discovery of the Higgs particle (which IMO, probably doesn't exist and we have to rewrite our understanding of physics) would be an impressive feat, but utilization of such a particle probably isn't feasible. A Higgs Boson acts as a mass transferal system for particles within the "Higgs Field", an omnipresent field by which fermions can acquire mass. Understanding of the Higgs Field would be the grand source of technological advancement, if it truly exists.

The problem lies in the fact that a Higgs Boson is said to decay within a fractions of a second, so it's not so much that the particle itself would be usable, moreso the discovery of such a particle would validate their hypothesis... which could lead to bigger discoveries.

If we could turn off the Higgs Field within a localized area, we could probably make fermions massless, meaning that they would automatically travel at the speed of light. So a starship with the power to turn off the Higgs Field could instantly accelerate to lightspeed, but there could be numerous consequences:
    -How could the process be maintained?

-How would one stop the process mechanically after initiating it?

-What would happen to the momentum of the ship and its inhabitants once the field was back?

-If everything is massless, would their electromagnetic interactions cause matter to be indistinguishable from one another. (basically ending up as a mush)

Personally speaking, the discovery of superluminal neutrinos is even more astounding, because it opens up so many possibilities and generates many holes in our understanding of physics.

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,424 mod
    Snip

you need to surrender all your sources. Every time you write something, I feel like a moron (this is good, it also means every time you write, I learn something new).
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    you need to surrender all your sources. Every time you write something, I feel like a moron (this is good, it also means every time you write, I learn something new).

I read Discover magazine, Popular Science, National Geographic and random online research stuff from time to time. I'll look around the web for you.

• hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I love contemporary particle physics for the sole reason that is one of a few illustrative examples showing that popper's ideas on the mechanisms of scientific advancment exist primarily in people's hopes and dreams.

edit: After ignoring Popper for years, I have just now discovered (via Wikipedia) that he shares my belief that Darwinism is not a testable scientific theory. How delightful! I may have to give him a 3rd look. Hurray for philosophers of science and other adherents to the rigid idealogy of logic.
    hahaa
    megaprops to toyrobotterror for avatar gullysh*t
  • CLU 2CLU 2 Capcom's gonna get sued for that ass. Joined: Posts: 5,710
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200512/mixed-race-pretty-face

So my anecdotal beliefs that racial admixtures do tend to create more symmetrical and possess universally attractive features bears some scientific truth.

Also this documentary was very informative as well: http://www.toflo.com/category/all/film-tv/documentary-is-it-better-to-be-mixed-race/

Except for the "races" and "hybridizing" of them.

Genetic variance is desirable for reproduction?

Symmetry is a sign of good genetics?

No fuckin' duh.

But the whole races talking point is mad bullshit, and makes the people involved sound like rank amateurs.
    "Terribad FG." ~ Hatred Edge, on Soul Calibur V

As for hubcapsignstop, trying to respond to anything he says is like having your OS ask "Delete C:\ and mass-rape orphans? Y/Y?" ~ ThePurpleBunny
    Except for the "races" and "hybridizing" of them.

Genetic variance is desirable for reproduction?

Symmetry is a sign of good genetics?

No fuckin' duh.

But the whole races talking point is mad bullshit, and makes the people involved sound like rank amateurs.

Remember a lot of these articles are written so a layperson can understand them. I've known a few non-racist but very ignorant people who still think the mixing of different ethnic groups actually weakens the gene pool.

• ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sciance is dee devil! The devil wears a lab coat! The devil uses test tubes to create dinosaur bones and put pornoawgrophee on the intarnets! :tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life

Still a skeptic of the whole "Dark Energy" premise and nebulous definition, as I am also indifferent about string theory. This looks like it is at least moving the right direction to get some real answers surrounding catalyzed cosmic inflation.

• goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    I do eventually expect Dark Energy to go the way of the ether, but the whole ancient acoustics thing (sounds like a History Channel special) might figure into the better physics that is somewhere just beyond our current reach.
    I do eventually expect Dark Energy to go the way of the ether, but the whole ancient acoustics thing (sounds like a History Channel special) might figure into the better physics that is somewhere just beyond our current reach.

It has always been my theory that the missing or "dark" matter in the universe are probably protostars and rogue planets in space.

• ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The missing matter was stolen by Loki. He's now storing it up to build a shed in the third dimension, in which he'll store his starion-drive lawnmower and old pornos he doesn't need anymore, but still can't bring himself to part with. :tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Scientific American: homophobes may be hidden homosexuals.

In other words, the "duh" heard around the world.
  • Vampire_SaviourVampire_Saviour R4 Joined: Posts: 333
    In the lab as I type this.
    Where's the neuroscience and neuroengineering love?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20876032
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It has a lot of potential, the noninvasive brain computer interface (BCI). Note, I cannot have read their paper yet, but it is free and I will look at it later.

However, flying a helicopter seems like a bad application at the moment, and yes I know it was a video game. It is the regular practice of any pilot to imagine possibilities before performing them. This is the case because most of the time pilots have a very large amount of time to make a decision. It would be a difficult problem to separate imagination from reality in a BCI control system. Therefore I would be interested to see follow on work with more skilled pilots and more difficult tasks.
    Particle accelerators' search for nature's hidden dimensions comes up empty

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/04/search-for-natures-hidden-dimensions-continues.ars

Seems "reality" has much grander surprises than basic string theory.

• Vampire_SaviourVampire_Saviour R4 Joined: Posts: 333
    It has a lot of potential, the noninvasive brain computer interface (BCI). Note, I cannot have read their paper yet, but it is free and I will look at it later.

However, flying a helicopter seems like a bad application at the moment, and yes I know it was a video game. It is the regular practice of any pilot to imagine possibilities before performing them. This is the case because most of the time pilots have a very large amount of time to make a decision. It would be a difficult problem to separate imagination from reality in a BCI control system. Therefore I would be interested to see follow on work with more skilled pilots and more difficult tasks.

I believe the goal of the virtual helicopter simulation in BCI2000 was to use multiple EEG signals for multi-dimensional control rather than the former 2D cursors that you would usually see in noninvasive systems.

I'm not sure if the tuning processes that BCIs perform are even capable of handling a real pilot's decisions right now. Common intention-generated brainwaves which don't require training can only result in ~10 bits per minute due to the averaging, integration etc. Invasive systems are showing promise though

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22438708

This is a pretty handy review that I recently read if anyone's interested.

As for the problem of reality, we have actually demonstrated that BCI control is intention based, and it is most likely creating an additional channel of motor control. The wiring between the basal ganglia and the cortex is involved with learning BCIs the same way it is involved in learning procedural tasks. (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v483/n7389/full/nature10951.html)
    ^ Please, this is the SCIENCE thread.

Back to Science:

[media=vimeo]39784233

Behold! Look at the biodiversity found in but a drop of pond water!

Well, let's talk about homeopathy from the scientific view.

We know homeopathic treatments are not valid medicine, because there have been many trials that have investigated their efficacy as such. The overwhelming trend in the results is that they are no more effective than placebos. Homeopathy has been around for over 200 years. It has had had more than enough time to prove the medical claims that surround it, which it hasn't done. The only rational conclusion is that it has no basis in medical science; no curative properties whatsoever.

That said:

One interesting thing that I think isn't given much thought is the power of the placebo effect. Typically, it is thought of only as a means of ruling out which proposed treatments are biologically effective and which are not--that is, whether the treatment has a measurable effect on your physical condition (i.e. proven medicine) or whether it produces a sense of well-being without improving your physical condition (i.e. placebo). With a little imagination, the placebo effect can be repurposed as a tool to manipulate a patient's (or even one's own) sense of well-being to make the recovery process more bearable.

Therein lies the oft-overlooked utility of all kinds of B.S. ranging from homeopathy to crystals to tea leaves or whatever. Their effects are often dismissed because they occur entirely in the mind. I would argue that effects that occur in the mind are useful and usable. If you're a cancer patient undergoing treatment that makes you feel constantly sick and tired, wouldn't you jump at the chance to take a sugar pill, rub a crystal, burn incense--to do anything--if it gave you the feeling of improved well-being?

"The effect is in your mind" is a reasonable statement. "The effect is merely in your mind" shows the inward creep of unscientific bias. The former dismisses the ability of something to affect anything outside of your mind. The latter dismisses the importance of anything that affects your mind exclusively. In my experience, a lot of people pay lip service to the mind's role in their sense of well-being while simultaneously showcasing hints of this bias.

There are multiple issues with this approach. One is that anybody can do it for themselves, without special training or resources. I'm sure we've all seen the episode of The Office when Dwight psyches himself up by listening to Motley Crue. Motley Crue is Dwight's placebo. The effect is to boost his capability as a salesman. Is it irrational of him to draw a link between Motley Crue and his ability to make a sale? I don't think so. I think he rationally understands that he is deliberately holding an irrational belief in order to access the desirable effects that holding that belief can have for him.

So homeopaths, horoscope writers, and purveyors of crystals have no special service to offer, at least, not one worth paying for. This leads to the second problem: these people typically make special claims to justify their own existence, then charge people for their services on the basis of those claims. For example, homeopaths might claim that their treatments can do the same stuff that science-based medicine does. Whether they themselves are aware of it or not (I'm sure many homeopaths believe wholeheartedly in what they do), they are perpetrating a scam. They are selling you something that doesn't do what they say it does.

If you can cook up an inert pill or rub a lamp in your house to make yourself feel better when you're sick, or more confident on a date, or smarter when you're having a conversation with your professor... why not do it? It is essentially a mental exercise in the form of a ritual behavior. Nothing special, exotic, paranormal, or supernatural about it. If it works, it works. Just don't let anybody tell you that it's something that only they can do for you, or that you have to pay for it.

The only reason I'm nattering on about this is that I want to disentangle a few issues that regularly get confused: alternative "medicine", con artistry, and the mind's effect on one's sense of wellness. The first two are part and parcel of any discussion about pseudoscience. The third is, I think, woefully misunderstood.
  • BeaTs*BeaTs* ∞ Consciousness Joined: Posts: 6,518
    (5 part vid)
    I like in the 3rd vid where Tesla comes up with the ultimate weapon of energy and splits it up between 5 or so nations (Tesla = Sage of Six Paths lol). Tesla ultimate weapon of energy dealing with frequencies/waves...and in Naruto they are described as forms of pure chakra/energy. And Chakras are generally described as energy at certain frequencies. It's more funny because there's other connections of concepts in Naruto relating to some other aspects of conspiracy theories that I see

Some of the homeopathy stuff sounds silly to me (for now at least) but who knows. I think the problem when using the pill form of energy healing, whether it's the energy in the capsule or the person consciously letting his energies flow to heal ('placebo' effect), is that it depends on whether the person can let his energy flow correctly or not (whether they know they're doing that or not). The energy blockage that can cause some issues would still be happening even if the energy in capsule form does work, it will still be impeded by the person (un) consciously causing these energy disruptions.

I've been researching (more like google-searching) a lot of different subjects recently and some subjects I've been researching for quite a while. Slowly the stuff I was looking up for healing some of my mental/emotional 'issues', which came from a couple different subjects and views/variations of subjects, started to click. But now more and more of other things I've been engrossed in recently, including more science related things (especially a lot of it lost/hidden to history), are also clicking and relating to everything else and how just about all of it involves vibrations/waves/undulations of energy

emotions, consciousness, higher consciousness/awareness, chakras, ego, third eye/pineal gland, mental (and sometimes physical) 'issues', humans' true potential, controlling weather/minds, conspiracy theories (of different levels [from relatively low to do with what's more commonly discussed now all the way to reptilian creatures from another vibrational dimension], though now-a-days I think some lower level CTs are more in peoples accepted view of reality), string theory, reality, wave particle duality, imagination, intelligence, creativity, personality, positive disintegration, current issues/history/science, hidden/'lost' (destroyed) history/science, everything with tesla da gawd, etc. (too many fucking tabs open) and including all kinds of related and inner subjects within these sometimes wider subjects. I've seen some possible connections throughout in certain ways but definitely one of the most consistent mention in all of these is vibrations/waves/undulations/frequencies of energy (or sometimes light or sometimes (which I think is the main point) essence/what makes up everything in our reality).

actually a lot of it is just information from many different areas (some branching and some quite totally unrelated [though I guess the connection ends up making them related]) saying the same thing though sometimes in a different way. Like I'm sure Kazimierz Dąbrowskierz never knew of chakra/energy healing regarding commonly mislabeled negative emotions (which either outright get labeled as various mental 'illnesses' or the perception/restriction of these energies get labeled as such as well) but they are basically saying the same thing. and other things they are saying relate with just about everything else in ways that I'm still sifting through in my head and finding (just started finding these recently after I made the break-through last week in my working on my psyche/spirituality through study of mind related subjects and study/practice of meditation/reflection/awareness/mindfulness/etc.) though at this point I'm making up some of my own theories/possible relations and googling and seeing info from different fields saying the same thing that I was guessing, filling in the dots in the things I'm thinking of.

haha sorry for all the mind dribble but I just want to put it down. I've been feeling like the really inquisitive/creative kid I was when I was young before it was crushed out as commonly happens due to TPTB's grip on the world. not only drastic changes in my psyche issues (which I say aren't really issues), but beliefs, and creativity/curiousness/access to my old knowledge (including memories for healing purposes and just info I've crunched). though I guess this is now getting more personal sorry lol
    Love and Light Arcana, Awakening comes in Flower Multilayers
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Arcana Heart 3 matches and combos: youtube.com/juanniG
    Attempting to attach such a thing as "energy healing" to a physical explanation just overcomplicates and obfuscates what's really going on. You can think of energy flow as an aid to your imagination for meditative techniques or whatever, but it resides purely in the realm of metaphor rather than medicine.

Your mental state affects the way you construct your reality. That is why placebos, laying of hands, etc. can do what they do. If your leg hurts, you can Jedi yourself some healing energy and it may very well ease the pain, but understand that it is an imaginative exercise. It is tempting to associate it with some kind of physical phenomenon, but to accept that is to leave the boundaries of rationality and to become easy prey for hippies and con artists.
  • BeaTs*BeaTs* ∞ Consciousness Joined: Posts: 6,518
    Oh no, don't worry, I don't trust anyone of anything at this point (not in a negative way). accepting all of the info but critical/questioning of everything (including most of what I already accepted). It sorta relates to positive disintegration (edit: actually, now that I ruminate on it, positive disintegration is just another, not spiritual, way of explaining the process of 'awakening' but not quite at the level/scope that comes from spirituality imo...one way to see it is as multiple awakenings to higher and more knowledge, creativity, and possibilities)

I will agree a lot of the things I'm saying doesn't necessarily agree with conventional standards thoughts of medicine/science but I think that's just the problem, imo things have been limited for a reason. I think when we talk about energy and spiritual things and physicality and science all concerning vibrations in energy (or really, everything in how our reality works) I see them as all the same. And as I get to the 5th part of the tesla vid it looks like that is exactly mentioned haha. Like I would say, if I understand what you're saying correctly, that the definition or physical is too limited perhaps. IIRC white shadow posted a scientific link that described the universe as pure consciousnesses in a way (that we most likely can't ever fully comprehend), and also spiritually their is the mention of the all knowing creative infinite consciousness...essence that accounts for everything in our universe including what is sometimes separated as physical and emotional or energy or spiritual when it all comes from the same thing in those usually eastern beliefs. and also mention of all kinds of different frequencies and vibrations. And then when I watch a video on what is consciousness and he's talking about string theory and how all is one, the waves/strings, the concept of all that is is unity and diversity at the same time which rings true with the eastern spiritual beliefs and practices (which also includes physical IIRC) which all say it's all conciousness/pure creative energy in waves and frequencies manifesting in different ways. emotions, all that is physical, matter plus energy, vibrations, how the nature of the universe works (at least in some ways though imo in all ways). Though I'm also not quite sure I understand where you're coming from with your post (sorry). it's most likely because we're seeing the concepts in probably pretty different ways. let me soak on this for a while maybe.

maybe reword it. I'm not exactly sure what you are replying to even lol. it might help me try to explain what I'm trying to say. like if it has to do with that homeopathy stuff like I said it doesn't really agree with me lol. healing of physical pain sensation (let alone actual physical damage) is also not something I really agree with as of now, at least past a small extent.

one other funny relation I made today was from something spiritual I read yesterday that mentioned the cause of jet lag was most likely due to us going so far away from the vibrational range we're used to on the ground and our vibrations need to get back used to being away from this natural vibrations we're used to that had a certain frequency and was a certain heigh above the earth (and also went into more depth on some of those things) and then today as I'm watching this Tesla vid that's exactly what he said scientifically with the frequency range in the ionosphere iirc. these vibrations seem very vulnerable and if it really is how most all things in our universe works then those who have the science of dealing with these (tesla's findings) has quite some power over many things.

I really think I'm coming from it in a different (not necessarily better, gotta be open to everything) way as I see it due to our different experiences and what info you've acquired compared to mine. I mean, I'm even totally reshaping my views on aspects of religion, science, and who and what I believe/trust in those fields. Like almost 180 degrees on Chris Hitchens as someone I admired (I prefer chris hedges now though I'm still skeptical of him as well). Fuck Michio Kaku imo (well, maybe not entirely) but you get the point maybe. Especially when I consider more and more of the "conspiracy theories" and how the mind works and how I saw how my mind and awareness was just a few weeks ago and everything starts getting more related (in my mind at least) and relating more and more to the news that actually gets out imo the news and history and especially the science that we are given is not all of it or changed or in tesla's case hush hushed in a way.

of course I'm not saying anything is concrete I'm just brainstorming and searching mostly and really am thinking of many different forks in how I believe our reality really is concerning spiritual, physical, and just with how our species is doing and a few of those possibilities, depending on what's true or not, is that scientific facts we have been given aren't entirely all true or isn't even given to the public. furthermore we aren't readily given something which possibly holds more importance than we realize (spirituality in the form of chakras/energy vibrations) and don't see the separation between ego/higher consciousness. without that the and considering everything else our thoughts/perceptions can be really limited (even if we think they're not), you get caught up in all the different subtle indoctrinations/false beliefs etc. without realizing it. we're taken away from our intuition at it's best level imo. when I mention these spiritual ideas mentioning similar things to some of the scientific thoughts concerning consciousness and our universe I think that some might be looking at 'science' and the universe and our consciousness in a limited way (and from seeing the difference between being the ego in simple mind/body physicality vs higher consciousness I can really see this) when all these things from both the 'separate' spiritual and scientific ideas seem to be on the same wavelength (lol) I really see it all as one.

if one stays purely in earthbound physicality in body and mind (without knowing of higher consciousness) and they think they are scientific and inquisitive and consider everything...yes, maybe they consider everything but there are still things that are out of their view then yes maybe they consider everything but it doesn't constitute what's out of their view. considering that science (more like scientific info given to people not actual 'science' science [though in a sense it is keeping what real science is from the people maybe]), history, media, news, education, our way of life, global activity etc. is most likely controlled by those who've always been in power or even just considering how the actual reality that most see is...it's not hard to believe that this is possible. whereas the higher consciousness is also referred to as infinite creative wisdom/power/knowledge (actually quite a few ways to say it) but it basically is something that you can connect to that considers and accepts all possibilities without them being filtered by our limited ego (or in the case of our current reality, the stressed, oppressed, molded, indoctrinated, brainwashed, influenced, information handpicked and fed ego). Which it looks like Tesla might've been hella sensitive/attuned to imo. it's not so much acquiring the knowledge. it's also using unfiltered/unbiased ways to full process everything. essentially creativity of a higher level. where much more information stored in the different areas in your mind flow more freely without bias or restrictions. whether the information becomes smaller or bigger than as you acquired before relating it with all other information. ok, you can spit back 'facts' and things fed to you in books that are controlled from someone with much more power. but what about questioning all of it. accepting all other possibilities. thinking for yourself. the thing is a lot of people think they do this already when they don't. from seperate topics about purely art (like drawing) to spirituality, to the status of our education system, to conpiracy theories...all talk about our abilitiy to truly reason, create, use third eye, pineal gland, etc. being impaired or downright destroyed. it's all related. and for good reason to be impaired, that way people will still not consider other possibilities.

sorry for the rambling. and it sounds a little limited when I try to type because all things I'm talking about I can connect/chain to a lot of other of the subjects I've looked up and is flowing through my head but it's hard to type out more of those links and order it (as I'm not sure that there is a way to put this down with a 'start' and an 'end' it just all is sort of a blob of different connecting info that's hard to put down).
    Love and Light Arcana, Awakening comes in Flower Multilayers
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Arcana Heart 3 matches and combos: youtube.com/juanniG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file