Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The SRK Science Thread 2.0

Comments

• white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah the mind has an excellent capacity to heal. Through positive stimulation (music, dogs, games, etc.) it has been well-documented that the body has a remarkable ability of recovering from otherwise permanent or chronic ailments.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

By Steve Silberman icon_email.gif 08.24.09
    ff_placebo_effect_f.jpg
    Photo: Nick Veasey
    Merck was in trouble. In 2002, the pharmaceutical giant was falling behind its rivals in sales. Even worse, patents on five blockbuster drugs were about to expire, which would allow cheaper generics to flood the market. The company hadn't introduced a truly new product in three years, and its stock price was plummeting.
    In interviews with the press, Edward Scolnick, Merck's research director, laid out his battle plan to restore the firm to preeminence. Key to his strategy was expanding the company's reach into the antidepressant market, where Merck had lagged while competitors like Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline created some of the best-selling drugs in the world. "To remain dominant in the future," he told Forbes, "we need to dominate the central nervous system."
    His plan hinged on the success of an experimental antidepressant codenamed MK-869. Still in clinical trials, it looked like every pharma executive's dream: a new kind of medication that exploited brain chemistry in innovative ways to promote feelings of well-being. The drug tested brilliantly early on, with minimal side effects, and Merck touted its game-changing potential at a meeting of 300 securities analysts.
    Behind the scenes, however, MK-869 was starting to unravel. True, many test subjects treated with the medication felt their hopelessness and anxiety lift. But so did nearly the same number who took a placebo, a look-alike pill made of milk sugar or another inert substance given to groups of volunteers in clinical trials to gauge how much more effective the real drug is by comparison. The fact that taking a faux drug can powerfully improve some people's health—the so-called placebo effect—has long been considered an embarrassment to the serious practice of pharmacology.
    Ultimately, Merck's foray into the antidepressant market failed. In subsequent tests, MK-869 turned out to be no more effective than a placebo. In the jargon of the industry, the trials crossed the futility boundary.
    MK-869 wasn't the only highly anticipated medical breakthrough to be undone in recent years by the placebo effect. From 2001 to 2006, the percentage of new products cut from development after Phase II clinical trials, when drugs are first tested against placebo, rose by 20 percent. The failure rate in more extensive Phase III trials increased by 11 percent, mainly due to surprisingly poor showings against placebo. Despite historic levels of industry investment in R&D, the US Food and Drug Administration approved only 19 first-of-their-kind remedies in 2007—the fewest since 1983—and just 24 in 2008. Half of all drugs that fail in late-stage trials drop out of the pipeline due to their inability to beat sugar pills.
    The upshot is fewer new medicines available to ailing patients and more financial woes for the beleaguered pharmaceutical industry. Last November, a new type of gene therapy for Parkinson's disease, championed by the Michael J. Fox Foundation, was abruptly withdrawn from Phase II trials after unexpectedly tanking against placebo. A stem-cell startup called Osiris Therapeutics got a drubbing on Wall Street in March, when it suspended trials of its pill for Crohn's disease, an intestinal ailment, citing an "unusually high" response to placebo. Two days later, Eli Lilly broke off testing of a much-touted new drug for schizophrenia when volunteers showed double the expected level of placebo response.
    It's not only trials of new drugs that are crossing the futility boundary. Some products that have been on the market for decades, like Prozac, are faltering in more recent follow-up tests. In many cases, these are the compounds that, in the late '90s, made Big Pharma more profitable than Big Oil. But if these same drugs were vetted now, the FDA might not approve some of them. Two comprehensive analyses of antidepressant trials have uncovered a dramatic increase in placebo response since the 1980s. One estimated that the so-called effect size (a measure of statistical significance) in placebo groups had nearly doubled over that time.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    One of the most terrifyingly incomprehensible theories in physics…explained!

http://io9.com/5901578/one-of-the-most-terrifyingly-incomprehensible-theories-in-physicsexplained
    Vasiliev theory (for sake of a pithy name, physicists drop Fradkin's name) takes to extremes the basic idea of modern physics: that the world around us consists of fields-the electrical and magnetic fields and a handful of others that represent the known forces of nature and types of matter. Vasiliev theory posits an infinite number of fields. They come in progressively more complicated varieties described by the quantum-mechanical property of spin.
    In Vasiliev theory, there are also spin-5/2, spin-3, spin-7/2, spin-4, all the way up. Physicists used to assume that was impossible. These higher-spin fields, being more symmetrical, would imply new laws of nature analogous to the conservation of energy, and no two objects could ever interact without breaking one of those laws. The workings of nature would seize up like an overregulated economy.
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    One of the most terrifyingly incomprehensible theories in physics…explained!

http://io9.com/5901578/one-of-the-most-terrifyingly-incomprehensible-theories-in-physicsexplained

This is very confounding to say the least. I wonder if these different fields due to their expand far beyond the quantum level and extend on a universal scale, due to being infinite?
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • BeaTs*BeaTs* ∞ Consciousness Joined: Posts: 6,518
    Plant/Human Symbiosis and the Fall of Humanity: Interview With Tony Wright:

http://www.disinfo.com/2012/04/planthuman-symbiosis-and-the-fall-of-humanity-interview-with-tony-wright/

interesting thing I just came across. Contains a lot of stuff I've learned elsewhere but added more interesting thoughts. Ancient peoples were very knowledgeable and experienced when it came to natural and energy healing (like mentioned, it's all the same..all energy/love from the Sun). And many other things (let's hope the great change the Mayans saw in 12/21 is truly the great awakening and, thus, evolution of mankind and we can get out from under the oppressive force on us to see the true genius potential of everyone).

Even when you look into stuff about Cancer (as a fungus) and natural ways of healing it. It's part of the mind but yet it is not. Though it also ties more to what people in power are doing but that's another thread lol (making money off them Cancer and HIV lies)
    Love and Light Arcana, Awakening comes in Flower Multilayers
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Arcana Heart 3 matches and combos: youtube.com/juanniG
    Yeah the mind has an excellent capacity to heal. Through positive stimulation (music, dogs, games, etc.) it has been well-documented that the body has a remarkable ability of recovering from otherwise permanent or chronic ailments.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all
    well it's the mind that can heal but it's also the mind that can hurt. People curing their cancer with positive energy flow/emotion/thoughts (and healthy natural organic eating as well). If placebos are getting more effective lately I would say that might have to do with what seems a greater awakening of people in this age (which is likely what the Mayans predicted...which is why it seems some people are working on dat endgame).
    You say you're Bipolar? Might need to do some doubling.

Featuring: Quadripolar Sun! (now with free quadripolar electrons!). Get yours today.

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/4232012-update-on-quadri-polar-sun-may-2012-polar-reversal-last-occurred-300-years-ago/

http://phys.org/news/2012-04-electrons.html
    You say you're Bipolar? Might need to do some doubling.

Featuring: Quadripolar Sun! (now with free quadripolar electrons!). Get yours today.

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/4232012-update-on-quadri-polar-sun-may-2012-polar-reversal-last-occurred-300-years-ago/

http://phys.org/news/2012-04-electrons.html

Keep in mind I have found no reputable source for the quadripolar sun, but the dual-state electron find is pretty cool.

• goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,506
    Seems "reality" has much grander surprises than basic string theory.

isn't string theory supposed to contribute towards the tangibility of nature by organising the contexts of its ambiguity?
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    isn't string theory supposed to contribute towards the tangibility of nature by organising the contexts of its ambiguity?

I'm referring to the premise of strings as the hitherto answer for everything, not because it can be empirically proven or even rationally tested, but because the theory conveniently provides the answers sought mathematically. It just never boded well with me to faith in such a concept, especially when it needed another theoretical particle to even support its existence.

wrote:

18 April 2012 Last updated at 15:12 ET
    Electron 'split-personality' seen in new quasi-particle

_59715709_59715708.jpg The structure of the material permits careful study of electrons as they only have one way to move in it
    Researchers have discovered another way that electrons - one of the Universe's few fundamental particles - can undergo an "identity crisis".
    Electrons can divide into "quasi-particles", in which their fundamental properties can split up and move around like independent particles.
    Two such quasi-particles had been seen before, but a team reporting in Nature has now confirmed a third: the orbiton.
    These orbitons carry the energy of an electron's orbit around a nucleus.
    Generally, these properties are not independent - a given electron has that set of properties, maintaining them as it moves around, while a nearby electron has a different set.
    But the idea of quasi-particles allow these properties to split and move around independently, granting them to nearby electrons.
    An analogy of this slippery idea is a traffic jam on a one-lane road - it is as if one blue car, pointed west and running at 1,000 RPM, passes on its blueness, its engine speed and its direction to adjacent cars.
    The cases in which such strange behaviour can be induced are rare, but an international team of researchers turned to a material called strontium cuprate to investigate it.
    _59729954_59729953.jpg Electrons can be bumped up and down into different "orbits" around their host nucleus
    The arrangement of atoms in the material is much like the one-lane road: electrons can only move in one direction along it in what is called a spin chain.
    The team used the Swiss Light Source at the Paul Scherrer Institut in Switzerland to shine intense X-ray beams into the material, catching the light that came out with precision detectors.
    Analysis of how the X-ray beam was altered in the process gave evidence of how electrons were given an energy boost, and where it went.
    Thorsten Schmitt of the Swiss Light Source explained that the team made an unexpected find.
    They saw that some of the X-ray energy went into raising an electron to a different orbit around a nucleus, and that this "orbital excitation" could move along the chain, bumping an adjacent electron up an orbit, and then the next electron along, and so on.
    "We wanted to understand the spinon excitations - we were sure we would see spinons - the surprise was also to get these orbital excitations behaving in a collective way," he told BBC News.
    It is a find destined for fundamental physics textbooks, but Dr Schmitt says that the curious behaviour may help scientists understand equally curious effects in similar materials.
    "It's all basic research but we hope this is very relevant for understanding superconductivity in cuprates, which are made out of the same building blocks."

Although this isn't the first time particles have shown this duality (many bosons do the same thing) this is still fascinating.

• hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    what is this duality?
    megaprops to toyrobotterror for avatar gullysh*t
    what is this duality?

Supposedly electrons are composed of a orbiton and a spinion, and although they can free each other from the electron body, each particle cannot exist individually. They are one in the same, and yet separate.

• hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    from reading that I dont think quasiparticles are particles
    It sounds like some kind of weird bulk property that they coaxed out somehow that managed to isolate the orbital quantum number from the spin and charge ones. These are values that all electrons have at all times (usually)
    but maybe im stupid
    from reading that I dont think quasiparticles are particles
    It sounds like some kind of weird bulk property that they coaxed out somehow that managed to isolate the orbital quantum number from the spin and charge ones. These are values that all electrons have at all times (usually)
    but maybe im stupid

That's what I thought initially, but it seems that the electron has dual components that can be definitely separated.

My head hurts and it's 2 in the morning...

nevermind; im prob just dense
    particle physics is maybe just ttoo crazy for me (I have to unlearn everything to understand it)
    but string theory is fiction
    hahaa
    Somewhat disgusting factoid from Neil deGrasse Tyson: the total excess fat of the American people could sustain the caloric needs of every person in Afghanistan for a year.
    Somewhat disgusting factoid from Neil deGrasse Tyson: the total excess fat of the American people could sustain the caloric needs of every person in Afghanistan for a year.

With enough leftover fat to make candles- perfect for romantically lit dinners composed of human lard.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    Stopping brain death breakthrough. The tantalising prospect of treating a range of brain diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, all with the same drug, has been raised by UK researchers. In a study, published in Nature, they prevented brain cells dying in mice with prion disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17952797
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    I can't wait to visit Earth 2... which will undoubtedly turn us inside out and make our atoms implode as they tear each other to pieces due to the different physics.

On the plus side, maybe Earth 2 has CvS3.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Nobody ever picks Sagat or Bison. Nothing but Yuris and Dans. :tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    And Balrog is Dudley and Dudley is Balrog.

Bahahaha... if you're going to insert the "wrong" link, you can't make a better choice than that.

Here is the correct link.

I'm not editing the original post, for obvious reasons.
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    *Watches thread*

183.jpg
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    I will raise by a swag factor of +900

snip

Light powered Bionic Eye has been invented - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18061174

One step closer to everybody owning an iEye

Untitled.png

I didn't ask for this eye, but I'll gladly take it after the 4th of July BBQ orgy incident.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
  • Vampire_SaviourVampire_Saviour R4 Joined: Posts: 333

Light powered Bionic Eye has been invented - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18061174

One step closer to everybody owning an iEye
    This research looks to contribute more to a clinical application rather than a consumer device.

I just did a quick read of the publishing in Nature (http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphoton.2012.104.html), and it does look awesome considering optics is one of the only areas where we have outdone natural selection.

A huge drawback of this approach is the permanence of the interface; those things would require batteries. Retinal prosthesis is so complicated...
    This research looks to contribute more to a clinical application rather than a consumer device.
    Consumer electronics is where the money is. It won't take long.
  • donu7donu7 ninjav surprise! Joined: Posts: 532

dropit.jpg

That dude is high by a factor of about +900
  • Vampire_SaviourVampire_Saviour R4 Joined: Posts: 333
    Another brain-computer interface: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0008218

Researchers at Boston University successfully decoded motor cortex activity to generate vowel sounds from a speech synthesizer in 2009.

Consumer electronics is where the money is. It won't take long.

Maybe when retinal implants become consumer electronics.

As for just the glasses alone, there already is a consumer device placed over the eye, and it isn't from apple: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/05/google-eye/

google-eye.png?w=275

Reminds me of Heavy Rain. Or this:
    236101-3059152-VegetaScouter01.jpg
    Special Tribute to the man who literally created the future:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
    8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I was going to put this in a spoiler bracket out of common courtesy, but fuck it, this is Tesla we're talking about! :rock:

My one buddy linked that on facebook too.

Interesting stuff.
    Insanity is freedom
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    Gat damn, that is a lot of shit.

But good shit.
    the Edison hate is getting a little over the top

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file