MODS SUGGESTION THREAD: No crying in here

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Preppy hey something just set off my spam blocker on page 907 of the lounge..says url is malware.

says http://www.quote-coyote.com/album/small/drake-inspirational-quotes.jpg
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,766 admin
    That link when right-clicked save as spews out a bunch of HTML. I'm not going to bother deciphering it: it's equally as possible that for direct clicks they serve up something innocuous.

Don't use super random web sites for images. If they've got ads, it's fairly likely their ad vendor will be compromised at some point.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    Can we jail idiots who are too stupid to realize DO NOT REPLY TO BOT THREADS? Nobody is going to read your horrible one liner, and you just attract more bots for the next while. Don't abuse flag button, don't post/reply in bot threads, and don't anger @Neesa or question her birthday thread, is this too much to fucking ask?
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
    I banned him for a week. That was needlessly dumb.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,842
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    Can we have a sticky at the top of every forum/sub-forum/w.e that just says: IF YOU REPLY, SPAM, MARK, OFF TOPIC, W/E A BOT THREAD YOU WILL BE PERMA BANNED.

I think it'll keep the idiots from replying to obvious bot spam.

I'm assuming we can still mark bot topics as spam otherwise the button will have no use whatsoever.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,066
    I say that as a precaution.

Best to just ignore bot threads, and just contact a mod via other means.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    Iduno wrote: »
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    Can we have a sticky at the top of every forum/sub-forum/w.e that just says: IF YOU REPLY, SPAM, MARK, OFF TOPIC, W/E A BOT THREAD YOU WILL BE PERMA BANNED.

I think it'll keep the idiots from replying to obvious bot spam.

I'm assuming we can still mark bot topics as spam otherwise the button will have no use whatsoever.
    That's correct. Any post with five spam flags automatically gets brought to moderator attention in the Spam dashboard.

This is also why flagging an actual user with the Spam flag will tend to get you infracted: only use the Spam flag on bots. But do use it on bots.

Yeah, replying to bots is bad and will get you at least a week timeout.

Is there perhaps a way to limit the amount of new threads an account can make, in a certain time limit? Would be an interesting way to prevent these bots from blowing up the forums like this. Just noticing it's only a few bot accounts posting all these threads, so that would possibly limit the damage.

Also, maybe have a mod who ok's new people who join the forum? That way when you somebody like "WetFart69" you can be like 'yeah he is probably a person', yet when you see accounts like "sajklgqweherewnhaehqwor" it's probably safe to assume that's not a real account.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

SoVi3t wrote: »
    Is there perhaps a way to limit the amount of new threads an account can make, in a certain time limit? Would be an interesting way to prevent these bots from blowing up the forums like this. Just noticing it's only a few bot accounts posting all these threads, so that would possibly limit the damage.
    That's already in place.
    Also, maybe have a mod who ok's new people who join the forum? That way when you somebody like "WetFart69" you can be like 'yeah he is probably a person', yet when you see accounts like "sajklgqweherewnhaehqwor" it's probably safe to assume that's not a real account.
    Sure, but there a limited number of mods so that turns out to be a pain in the ass.

• UglylittlebirdyUglylittlebirdy idiot. Joined: Posts: 440
    Is email verification already standard? There's been an increase in bot posting and I think that might help out if not already established. If not that then maybe captchas before creating a thread.
    SFV: M. Bison/Alex/Necalli
    SF4: Akuma/M. Bison/Fei Long
    3S: Oro/Akuma/Alex
  • savaii64savaii64 HYPA POM! Joined: Posts: 2,250
    GJ Preppy putting in work.
    Avatar Request Thread | Play HoN with me!
    "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
  • danomightydanomighty WTFSRK Joined: Posts: 1,343
    What's up with banning ppl for using "wtf" and "off topic" buttons? :wtf:

I get the flag abuse,but If something is "wtf" worthy or "off topic" then what's the harm in using them? Why even have them if can't use them? Wtf means wtf so if I see it's wtf-ish then I'm gonna use "wtf" button. Hella dumb to punish honest users for something that hurts nobody. :bluu:
    I was hung over from both drinking and smoking yesterday so to clam down the smoking and hangover I smoked some more...
    HOLD DAT!
    Marn talking to Mike Ross @ FR14
    The people that have received timeouts were those that had been using them to annoy other users after warnings. Don't abuse the board software to annoy other users: Vanilla has been extremely fragile and doesn't need the help.

And lo there was less crying on SRK! Thanks Wiz.

• LightzLightz Why aren't you holding a bucket of spicy chicken? Joined: Posts: 1,215
    I don't get why Wiz got rid of the Off Topic or WTF buttons here. What if someone posts some 200mb gif or puts in like 100 images in one post or something? How are we supposed to bury that?
    Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,870
    Anybody else see that "Promote" counter next your LOLs and LIKES? Is that some kind of rep bar we need to unlock like a hidden Tekken character?
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
    Lightz wrote: »
    I don't get why Wiz got rid of the Off Topic or WTF buttons here. What if someone posts some 200mb gif or puts in like 100 images in one post or something? How are we supposed to bury that?
    Why would you try to use flags to moderate? That's what moderators are for.

And yes, people kept crying about the flags, with some misanthropes then gleefully using their frustration as an opportunity to needle them further. Wiz posted up a ways back "stop abusing them or you're going to lose them." A great way to get people to stop crying/needling each other after people were told "stop crying/needling each other or these toys will be removed" is to simply remove those particular toys.

Sure, but is that productive? Aren't most people idiots when they first show up? Seems to me it takes a little bit to figure out how to fit into GD.

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 2016
    Preppy wrote: »
    Sure, but is that productive? Aren't most people idiots when they first show up? Seems to me it takes a little bit to figure out how to fit into GD.

How about if someone puts a post in the Rules: Read Before Posting Thread: No introduction threads. The reason they do it is because nobody tells them NOT to. Nobody cares for these threads. Somebody should say SOMETHING. The ridicule the newbs get in their intro threads is FAR from productive, and could cause them to leave from alienation from the get-go (if you're worried about newbies being chased away).
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    Fair 'nuff. Added.

edited January 2016
    Can you make it so people on your ignore list are gone completely? Seems pointless to have somebody on ignore, and yet you still see them post and they can still derail a thread and you still see their posts through quotes, or by moving your mouse over their post.

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster HUMANZ Joined: Posts: 8,347
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    Can you make it so people on your ignore list are gone completely? Seems pointless to have somebody on ignore, and yet you still see them post and they can still derail a thread and you still see their posts through quotes, or by moving your mouse over their post.

+1

And also make the ignore list infinite instead of only having IIRC 5 people on ignore at a time
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Ignore list is at 20 people right now, I believe.

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,434
    After 1 year, all the SRK members that are banned should get deleted from SRK and all of their posts deleted from existence.
    Then keep the posts and delete the users the same way I was deleted back in 2011
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,859
    @Preppy
    There seems to be a glitch or something with the forum. If you try to quote someone using a new tab the text that you want to quote doesn't show up.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i said something in the lounge about that a few days ago, but i don't like making waves so i didn't bring it up beyond that :rofl:
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,066
    Need to start banning people for this shit.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    Can you guys please close/delete all those "is havin sex with X cheating?" Threads. There are multiples of the same ones, they're clogging up the front page and just annoying in general.

This
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 21,859
    edited February 2016
    @Preppy
    Another thing to add to the list of shit that doesn't work on this site.
    If you try to use a .png for your avatar the site crashes and doesn't upload it.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    What did I tell you about new users with smiley avs like a year ago? Block new users with smiley avs until you find a way to tighten up registration (maybe with something like multi-picture captcha (click on all images of capcom characters or something), that needs a human to do, we wouldn't be getting spammed right now. I knew that bots can easily use smiley avs.
  • AlphaCommandoAlphaCommando Spanner and Clink Joined: Posts: 3,134
    Aren't those 'smiley avs' just default avatars given to all new users, bot or not?
    Team Breath of Fire IV (Ryu, Won-Qu, Fou-Lu): Zero[6] γ, Amaterasu[5] β, Dante[6] α
    Zero/Amaterasu/Dante

"As soon as I saw Alpha's avatar, all the blood rushed out of my head and I almost lost my lunch." - Missing Person
    "I betting that every mafia is mad at me for falling for Alpha." - GodotsRevenge
    "AlphaCommando > RadicalFuzz" - Augustus
    yeah, it's a captcha thing not an avatar thing.

*puffs corncob pipe* Back in MY day, noobs didn't git NUTHIN'. We got us a blank spot with our name on it. Ever'thin' else were up ta US, by cracky!
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,574
    One spambot had a girl in football pads over her breasts avatar

Must've been around the superbowl.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,338 mod
    GD Rules need a bit of updating. Right now I have a handful of things that need to be codified so people know what not to do. If you have any legitimate suggestions as to what should be added, please post these now.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • AzureAzure E-Sports is fucking retarded. Joined: Posts: 9,048
    Would ceding Smash "fighting game" status, allow us to get it and its ilk banned from ever again encroaching upon GD?

eSports is fucking retarded.
    Chess is more of a fighting game than that other game...