Why is blanka cheap?

Dave4202Dave4202 Joined: Posts: 5
I'm not saying blanka is cheap, but every 4 or 5 matches i get msg's from ppl sayin how much of a scrub i am for using the cheapest character in the game but when i ask why he's cheap they ignore me, why do ppl think this? is it because he's anti fireball? thats not much of an excuse to call someone cheap, if thats the reason don't spam fireballs right? lol

It really bugs me when ppl say he's cheap considering he's been right around the middle of damned near every tier list i've ever seen. I don't see how people can say he's cheap and heres my reasons why he's not.

1. No Light Chains or any chain combos for that matter (very annoying)
2. All his specials are extremely punishable (also very annoying)
3. Pretty much all his combos are 1 frame links
4. No useable way to combo or juggle into his ultra's
5. No specials are fast enough to be reliable wake up moves.

Sure he does have some huge perks like command dash, insane mix up, best cross up in the game imo and his beast slide (which is also very punishable), but these things don't out rank the downfalls in my mind so what do you guys think? Why or Why not is blanka cheap? Kinda excited to hear what people have to say about this.

Comments

• EllipsenEllipsen SFxTPC + AEPC Joined: Posts: 1,906
    ur Cheap = im salty cuz I dont know how to deal. Ignore haters. Have fun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • JOLTheadJOLThead Joined: Posts: 575
    Blanka is cheap because people need an excuse for their loss. Can't spam hp roll or even mp roll so they can't bitch about that anymore. My assumption is that because he wins by lots of single hits or small combos instead of a fancy vortex or long combo.
    PSN id: JOLThead
  • sombasomba charge char fo life! Joined: Posts: 12
    lol and maybe they cant handle the footsies ..
    my goal is to be the most hated blanka player on the psn ..
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recipe for online tears:
    1 tablespoon of Roll/Hop->throw
    A hint of random slide
    A generous pinch of j.mk
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats funny is that people don't bitch about the actual cheap stuff Blanka can do.

I sit on my ass and AA jumpins = hatemail
    I unblockable someone 6 times in 2 rounds = no hatemail

If you're getting hatemail that means the other person has a bad attitude and you are taking them out of their comfort zone when you win. So you are doing something right.
  • J.ScogzJ.Scogz Bye Joined: Posts: 2,378
    People can't handle being blocked, then punished for their stupidity.
    It's been real.
  • WilWil Semper Fi Joined: Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I did make someone rage quit IRL at an arcade with my Blanka. The guy kept on jumping and refused to block yet he still bitched and complained...and then walked away before the match ended. :wtf: :sad:
    USF4: Fei Long, Guy, Rose
    UMvC3: No
  • alex_000alex_000 Joined: Posts: 56
    What annoys me the most is the turbo accusations. I am not the piano master since I play with keyboard but I buffer lp electricity a lot (on rol , hop etc). I get all these people telling me I am turbo scrub , I tell them there is a replay channel go see my inputs etc but they don't get it.

Anyway accroding to my rep on gfwl 25 % are neutral towards me and 75% avoid me :S .
  • J.ScogzJ.Scogz Bye Joined: Posts: 2,378
    I get accused of Turbos in ST because I can walk up and cancel c.mk xx HP elec. I can also cancel s.lp into HP elec. I play classical piano. It's not that hard for me.
    I get accused of dumb shit too, like a guy that just did Dhalsim drills, and I jump straight up and HP him... He called me "random jumper"
    I get accused of taking "cheap shots" because his Ryu desperately wanted a jump in hk, but I'd vert ball him every time he left the floor because it was so easily telegraphed.

Dumb shit... Dumb dumb shit.
    It's been real.
  • GangryongGangryong Joined: Posts: 44
    new players play blanka and spam blanka balls and win vs people who don't know how to punish them. also i feel like many blanka player do stupid stuff and win a round or a match because you're opponent isn't able to switch from playing a smart player to a stupid one. this is why there is so much blanka hate i think.
  • pauliethebosspaulietheboss RIP Akuma Joined: Posts: 270
    i realise i'm probably going to get torn apart here for replying as a non-blanka player. i've never sent a ragemail to anyone, but i used to consider blanka a real pain and i've been in lobbies with people complaining about blanka.

to answer your question; blanka can't really be crossed up since he can just do elec, ex up-ball comes out real quick so it's hard to safe jump him, afaik his slide is now nerfed(?) but it's quite a soul destroying tool at times, ex ball obviously goes through fireballs and comes out pretty fast, his crossup is relatively ambiguous.

i think a lot of the reason people call him cheap is because of some of the more "gimmicky" things he can do. now again, i'm not saying blanka is gimmicky (i'm an akuma player with too many gimmicks to say that :D) however i've heard a ton of people complain about;

normal roll tricks, namely whiff lp ball into throw
    ex rainbow roll tricks; making it look like it won't cross up, then crossing up.. making it look like it will cross up, then bringing it back short and throwing
    ultra1 50/50s
    hop mixups into throw/combo/elec/ex upball

anyway; tl;dr is imo people call him cheap cause he has a couple of gimmicks that make people panic. however in the long run it's just someone getting salty because they haven't learnt the matchup.
    RIP Akuma
    to answer your question; blanka can't really be crossed up since he can just do elec,

ex up-ball comes out real quick so it's hard to safe jump him

afaik his slide is now nerfed(?) but it's quite a soul destroying tool at times, ex ball obviously goes through fireballs and comes out pretty fast, his crossup is relatively ambiguous.

normal roll tricks, namely whiff lp ball into throw

ex rainbow roll tricks; making it look like it won't cross up, then crossing up.. making it look like it will cross up, then bringing it back short and throwing

ultra1 50/50s

hop mixups into throw/combo/elec/ex upball
    electricity has no invincibility, and Blanka has to buffer it off of something to get it out. If you try to cross a dude up and he hits you with an 18 frame anti air, guess what? that was a bad jump. if he was knocked down, it was still a bad jump.

you can punish ex upball on hit with lots of characters, so even if you time your safejump incorrectly you should still be in good position. It's a very risky reversal because it doesn't knockdown on hit, isn't fadcable, and is very punishable on block. It's a great AA, but a crap reversal.

slides good, but focusable on reaction in the ranges where it is good to slide. Ex horiball is good, but not as good as other anti fireball tools because it doesn't give you any momentum, it just resets the situation with your opponent down some life. His crossup game is good yes.

I can sweep this on reaction 90% of the time. LP ball is something like 26 frames, and throw is another 3. if you can't react in time to hit him consistently you have terrible reactions.

hit a button? thats the easiest way to deal with ex rainbow. or focus. If it was reversal you should have option selected it and it shouldn't be over your head in the first place.

His 50/50 ultra is actually his most reliable way to land ultra. Other characters do this crazy thing where they can turn most any combo string into ultra.

Hop mixups are at massive frame disadvantage so they are very risky because you are relying on your opponent messing up their punish. His hop game on wakeup is no different than any crossup, and is actually easier to see IMO.
    i have no doubt you know your character way better than i do, but you seem to be trying to correct me there, and i wasn't trying make points. i was mostly just repeating blanket statements i've heard people moan about, since the op asked why some people call him cheap.

as i said in my last line, its mostly because they're salty and don't know the matchup.
    RIP Akuma
    Also I didn't mean that to come off like I was downtalking slide or something. It's Blanka's best anti projectile tool, a great punish tool, and great for option selecting with.

However most of the time you get hit by slide you did something wrong. You either threw a bad fireball, did something punishable(ryu sweep), or you did a backdash/etc.

Footsie slide for Blanka is very risky because close in it is a free combo on block and farther out it's very easy to focus. There is kind of a sweet spot for it, that can be blown up by a walk forward block pretty easily. Random slide is no bueno, and I'm saying this as someone who does it too much, it's easy to blow up, people just decide not to.
    i have no doubt you know your character way better than i do, but you seem to be trying to correct me there, and i wasn't trying make points. i was mostly just repeating blanket statements i've heard people moan about, since the op asked why some people call him cheap.

as i said in my last line, its mostly because they're salty and don't know the matchup.
    I like explaining why stuff sucks. Don't mind me.

Other people will read this thread and I like to point out that there is an answer for things, or why things are bad.

A lot of what people complain about is misconception and the part of your post that was personal
    to answer your question; blanka can't really be crossed up since he can just do elec, ex up-ball comes out real quick so it's hard to safe jump him, afaik his slide is now nerfed(?) but it's quite a soul destroying tool at times, ex ball obviously goes through fireballs and comes out pretty fast, his crossup is relatively ambiguous.
    ^ this part, was largely built on misconception.
    sorry, that was from a "when i was way scrubbier and got frustrated i thought..." line of thinking :)
    RIP Akuma
  • sombasomba charge char fo life! Joined: Posts: 12
    IMO if someone hates a char they should main them lol that's how I started to main blanka .. I used to hate getting matched up with a blanka ..now I dont mind at all ..
    my goal is to be the most hated blanka player on the psn ..
  • TheMeth90TheMeth90 Slowly learning Elena on 3S... Joined: Posts: 1,145
    Blanka is weak, but scrubs are too lazy to learn the match up, so they hate him... it's simple.
  • Maxwell755Maxwell755 It's Showtime Joined: Posts: 355
    I got the same comments when I played as Honda as I do now with Blanka. If you are not a shoto you usually get the "cheap" remark about once a week.
  • ssjtinssjtin Joined: Posts: 198
    The 'cheapest' characters would be Blanka, Honda, and Zangief. Basically characters who can sit back and spam high damage moves if you don't know how to block/counter. Blanka can wakeup electricity, blanka ball vertical and anti-air. Honda can spam headbutt and buttstomp, Gief lariats and spd's.

That's pretty much it. There's no need to get into the whole "oh well it's easily punished by this". Only scrubs call characters cheap and scrubs can't adjust so when they're up against something that looks safe and high damage like blanka balls, it's bitching time.
    I call actual good stuff cheap, like Dark Phoenix. haha

Also I thought wakeup electricity was ass week 1 of console vanilla, I don't know why people still do it so often.
  • pimpmuffin07pimpmuffin07 Joined: Posts: 158
    I've tried having legit conversations with good players about this.

Most people just say that Blanka is "gay", and literally cannot explain why...they just say "he just is"...

that annoys me so much
    For most characters it's not a very fun matchup though. The dominant strategy against him is to turtle, and it can be very frustrating if you don't enjoy playing like that.
  • pimpmuffin07pimpmuffin07 Joined: Posts: 158
    For most characters it's not a very fun matchup though. The dominant strategy against him is to turtle, and it can be very frustrating if you don't enjoy playing like that.

this is true, but it's also true of other characters who don't get the same hate as Blanka

people don't hate Gief but you have to play waaaaaaaaay lamer against him
    this is true, but it's also true of other characters who don't get the same hate as Blanka

people don't hate Gief but you have to play waaaaaaaaay lamer against him
    Some chars can just projectile zone him to death. If you try that against Blanka you're gonna eat a slide or EX ball.
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they say 'cheap' they mean to say 'annoying'. Blanka is just annoying as hell and frustrates people, his forward throw does him no favours either.
    Strider still sucks.
  • LAU-HKLAU-HK Joined: Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    well... at my local arcade that i go to regularly.... I've been labelled as the player that nobody likes to play against....

because apparently fighting against me is frustrating..... one time i even overheard one of the guy who hates me the most saying 'who the hell wants to play against him?'

honestly... i think people find Blanka cheap because he's one of those characters that can easily exploit's someone's weakness....

1. if the guys sucks at punishing
    ball him to death... (even now.. with a mixup between LP/MP ball)

2. if the guy sucks at footsies
    use normal move on him and poke him to death

3. if the guy only likes to begin his offense by jumping in...
    Blanka has probably some of the best AA options in the game.

4. if the guy reacts slow
    LP balling, hoping at him works well

5. if the guy can't handle offensive pressure
    electricity pressure him

6. if the guy sucks at anti-air/jump ins
    Blanka's vertical/quick jump is pretty damn annoying.

the list goes on....... but honestly unless the player has a strong basic knowledge of both blanka and the game... it's really not that hard to win... and people are pissed off because chances are you're not beating him with some big ass long combo which people feel better about... because people usually associate big combos = skill....

with Blanka.... it's all about having a strong basic....

all this and Blanka's look 'scrubby' not cool... like most of the other characters

-LAU
  • foxisquickfoxisquick Joined: Posts: 1,298
    a character that has near to no major execution requirements with bnbs and is primarely a spacing/poke character is cheap.

and viper to those same people is not cheap because she is a high execution requirement character.

IRONY
    IMO, If u want to play Blanka at high level, you need to have a major execution.
    Disagreed really ;[ His highest execution requirement is something like hitcoing c.LK c.LK ultra. After that it's pretty simple compared to most other characters.

You got his best bnb something like c.MK s.LP xx electricity or something like that. That is really simple compared to a wealth of other characters. But it doesn't matter really, lots of people can execute and few can foots/space at high levels. That's what would separate top vs mid level.
  • HvEHvE Sidebet LIVE? Joined: Posts: 813
    There is one thing that does bug me. Whenever a Blanka comes up in ranked, I tell myself: Probably gonna lag... and 90% of the time, yup, laggy as shit. I think Blanka is typically the goto character for ppl with shitty connections

but yea, other than that, I think it was pretty accurately said in here that the matchup is annoying, because your main strategy is to bulldog your way in, as blankas typically like to just sit there and wait for you to make your move first. but who can blame them? with the hordes of online players that get hit by day one gimmicks and think jumping in is the only way to start off an attack... There's also the fact that most characters have to use character specific combos on blanka, because of his unique hitbox

in any case, it's been a long time since I've played any good blanka players, so I haven't really had the chance to experience the "cheapness"
    HvE's stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hveq
    [mtler] 4:09 pm: mike how about you post this on srk:
    [MTLSF]: mtler has left at 4:09 pm
    Disagreed really ;[ His highest execution requirement is something like hitcoing c.LK c.LK ultra. After that it's pretty simple compared to most other characters.

You got his best bnb something like c.MK s.LP xx electricity or something like that. That is really simple compared to a wealth of other characters. But it doesn't matter really, lots of people can execute and few can foots/space at high levels. That's what would separate top vs mid level.
    Yeah I really agree. Even when I'm having a bad execution day, I don't feel that limited in terms of what I can do. short short short ultra or st.mp, cr.mk xx electricity is probably the hardest Blanka's execution gets. The thing is most characters have weak execution requirements in this game in general.
    Real cheapness is when a good blanka holds downback and you can't do shit to him. That is the best/worst haha.
    If you can put up that wall as a Blanka player I think you're damn good.
    Get a sliver of lifelead. Win all games by timeout. That is the true cheapness!!!!
    I have Ryu and Viper subs and I find it easier to do their shit than Blankas. Primarily because the penalty for messing up with them isn't as big as when you mess up with Blanka, and they don't have as much char specific stuff to remember (well, learning the timing for Viper's mid-screen U1 combos is a pain).
    Err what that's not true at all. Ryu's BnBs are things that can end in c.HK or a DP. f+HP c.HP xx DP huge risk. c.LP c.HK tight link that is like -15 on block if you drop it. All of ryu's good combos require either FADC or a link. While blanka's hard BNBs are like c.MK s.LP xx electricity.. which even if you can't link the c.MK to s.LP you still get a blockstring that ends with positive frames.

if you're talking about the difficulty of linking blanka's ultra then yes that is not easy at all, but when we are talking execution you usually are referring to BNBs and blanka has some of the easiest in the game. I play balrog on the side and he's got harder execution requirements then blanka and he's still super easy.

Blanka doesn't do big damage because he has no combos haha. I hope no one is thinking that i'm saying blanka is easy to play. He is for sure not. No character is. The ability to turtle and space with him is super hard at high levels.
    Err what that's not true at all. Ryu's BnBs are things that can end in c.HK or a DP. f+HP c.HP xx DP huge risk. c.LP c.HK tight link that is like -15 on block if you drop it.
    SPS into cr.hp can be plinked with hp->mp->lp and even if you mess up you still have the mp and lp to fall back on, and even then you can FADC into a mixup if they block. Jabs into sweep isn't hard. It's a very rhythmic combo (you can use the same timing as cr.lp int cr.mp if you plink it). I guess I'm just used to doing his combos but I don't find him to be an execution intensive char at all. Blanka's unplinkable links are harder than anything Ryu has IMO. You can't really confirm the last hit of think into a cancel so if you mess up you get punished hard.
    Yeah but that's just with ultra. Everything else blanka has ends in electricity and it's always safe on block. But i get what you're saying.
    Yeah but that's just with ultra. Everything else blanka has ends in electricity and it's always safe on block.
    Or ball, in cases where electricity whiffs.
  • LAU-HKLAU-HK Joined: Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    All characters got issues... Blanka is only cheap to those who don't know how to exploit his weaknesses due to their own skill or the character they use. But obviously it's much easier to blame everything other than your own skills and since most players aren't exactly good players... you get a bunch of scrubs telling you he's cheap.

anybody who knows better.. will be impressed if you manage to win a proper tournament with Blanka.... they'll become instant stars.

-LAU
    Ok, perhaps I'm wrong, i have never play other characters than Blanka so, for me, he need a high execution for things like that : Stand jab xx elec is very hard, many blanka players don't use this 2-in-1 cuz they don't master it, but it's very useful, Ultra on combo : not a feasible option for me generaly, and this character have links in one or two frames generaly, rarely more.

They are others chacacters more easy for someone who have a crap execution.

But guys, i say that only for ME.
  • RindoukanKarateManRindoukanKarateMan I like Karate Girls Joined: Posts: 504
    I'm not saying blanka is cheap, but every 4 or 5 matches i get msg's from ppl sayin how much of a scrub i am for using the cheapest character in the game but when i ask why he's cheap they ignore me, why do ppl think this? is it because he's anti fireball? thats not much of an excuse to call someone cheap, if thats the reason don't spam fireballs right? lol

It really bugs me when ppl say he's cheap considering he's been right around the middle of damned near every tier list i've ever seen. I don't see how people can say he's cheap and heres my reasons why he's not.

1. No Light Chains or any chain combos for that matter (very annoying)
    2. All his specials are extremely punishable (also very annoying)
    3. Pretty much all his combos are 1 frame links
    4. No useable way to combo or juggle into his ultra's
    5. No specials are fast enough to be reliable wake up moves.

Sure he does have some huge perks like command dash, insane mix up, best cross up in the game imo and his beast slide (which is also very punishable), but these things don't out rank the downfalls in my mind so what do you guys think? Why or Why not is blanka cheap? Kinda excited to hear what people have to say about this.
    I play makoto almost exclusively (and dudly/guy/cody) but blanka isn't cheap in any sense of the word. Those guys are just mad cause they can't fire ball you and srk you from full screen. Basically they're the people who should be on fighting games period and only hurt the community cause the suck and won't practice to get better. Players like that would be better off play COCK of duty or Halo instead of sullying the Fighting games.
    3rd strike-Makoto dudley
    ssf4-Makoto,Dudley,Guy
    Blazeblue-Bang,Bang,Bang,Makoto
    tekken-Raven
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • StarslicerStarslicer WAKEUPULTRAS4DAYZ Joined: Posts: 285
    Blanka is cheap because he has some the most rewarding intimidation in the game. His mixups are pretty wild and most of his fundamentals jump on grab whoring a lot, good footsies and some moves that people just dont know how to punish (Electric ball.) He has some good recovery on some of his moves as well, depending on the matchups.

Best time to get blanka down is before he can build his meter. Otherwise it can be an uphill battle.
  • DarachnidDarachnid Salty Member Joined: Posts: 559
    There is no such thing as 'whoring' anything if you are playing to win. Do you not realise that? If someone wants to crouching light kick you to death just because you fail at low blocking; who's fault is that? Btw blanka has about as much 'Electric balls' as he has chocolate salty balls.
    Blanka is cheap because he has some the most rewarding intimidation in the game. His mixups are pretty wild and most of his fundamentals jump on grab whoring a lot, good footsies and some moves that people just dont know how to punish (Electric ball.) He has some good recovery on some of his moves as well, depending on the matchups.
    More rewarding intimidation than Yun? You know that character who has both a command grab and an overhead that isn't the worst one in the game and who can turn those tools into a super or ultra?

The primary mixups that Blanka players use put him in a situation where he has no control because he is at negative frames. The large bulk of his moves have bad recovery, and the ones that do have good recovery like st.jab don't lead to good damage for the most part.
  • Balls MahoneyBalls Mahoney Joined: Posts: 14
    Blanka is mid tier there is no reason he should get ANY hate , LEARN THE MATCH UP!
  • StarslicerStarslicer WAKEUPULTRAS4DAYZ Joined: Posts: 285
    More rewarding intimidation than Yun? You know that character who has both a command grab and an overhead that isn't the worst one in the game and who can turn those tools into a super or ultra?

The primary mixups that Blanka players use put him in a situation where he has no control because he is at negative frames. The large bulk of his moves have bad recovery, and the ones that do have good recovery like st.jab don't lead to good damage for the most part.

I agree, but that's why I said some of the most. We all know Yun is given the golden medal at the moment.

It's just, if people learned how to get around his setups, he would not be that hard at all. That's all it really is.
  • 88Xin8888Xin88 Metsu Shoryuken Joined: Posts: 541
    Everyone complains about everything.

Most guys have vaginas in this new age.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,786 mod
    What the fuck?! Calling mid-tier characters cheap? Is this what the fighting game community has turned to? A bunch of scrubs who can't even deal with a fucking mid tier character?