Best Zoning Team?

OniLoverOniLover Joined: Posts: 384
For both MVC3 and UMVC3, though we canonly guess on the latter. Also, any discussion of what characters are rumored to play like might go here since we'll need to guess at it to get an idea of how they play.

MVC3:
Magento
Arthur
Phoenix

UMVC3:
Arthur
Hawkeye
Rocket Raccoon

Comments

• Dark RadianceDark Radiance MNS Azula Joined: Posts: 1,307
    Right now the best zoning team is Taskmaster/Sent/Phoenix IMO.
    KOF:Saiki/EX Iori/Elisabeth
    Marvel: Viper/Magneto/Ammy
    Smash: Marth
    - Azula
  • OniLoverOniLover Joined: Posts: 384
    Phoenix def is one of the best Zoning characters, but I don't really know about Sentinel. Would he be for the drones? And for UMV3, I can't see Tasky being better then Hawkeye, nor can i see Phoenix being a good zoner.
  • SketchspaceSketchspace Joined: Posts: 648
    Deadpool(w/e)/Sent Drones/Shuma Mystic Ray

Everybody gets shot.
  • RealpolitixRealpolitix a.k.a. Captain Rocket Joined: Posts: 505
    Wolverine/"X"/Akuma. Because the best zoning is putting them into the rape zone.
    The only thing that's low-tier is your opinion.
  • Cee DizzyCee Dizzy The shit I don't like Joined: Posts: 3,408
    Tasky (a)/Dorm (a or b)/Doom (b)

Shit is annoying as fuck
    https://www.facebook.com/FGCCoble <--- Friend me https://twitter.com/CeeDizzy313 <---- Follow UMVC3: Wolverine/Doom/Vergil, Team Nemo SF4: Fei Long, Rolento Injustice: Aquamane, TTT2: AK/Heihachi, Alex/Kuma
  • RealpolitixRealpolitix a.k.a. Captain Rocket Joined: Posts: 505

Shit is annoying as fuck

Shit, the last time I got bodied was by this team. :bluu:
    The only thing that's low-tier is your opinion.
  • SciroccoScirocco Psycho Power Joined: Posts: 88
    Task (a)/ Haggar (a)/ Doom (b)

Far safer and both task and doom can do a ton of damage from the hard knockdown of lariat if they ever get in.
  • Aerial ScrewAerial Screw Master of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 701
    Wolverine/"X"/Akuma. Because the best zoning is putting them into the rape zone.
    Best thing I've read all week
    SSF4 - Yun, Poison, Dudley
  • HonzogonzoHonzogonzo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Joined: Posts: 3,302
    hsienko/arthur/morrigan is best zoning team
    http://www.justin.tv/honzo_gonzo
    follow me on twitter @honzogonzo
    youtube: youtube.com/thewasteofflesh
    facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honzo-vs-Marvel/254784834545478
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • GraphicGraphic Waifu Fighter V Joined: Posts: 636
    Deadpool/Dorm/Taskmaster is really annoying.
  • WooooShooee13WooooShooee13 Look into my eyes Joined: Posts: 588
    Modok with his shield, trish with peekaboo, doom with missiles.

Shield can obviously kill most of the stuff any other zoning team will use, especially next game. peekaboo kills teleports, missiles kills super jump
    SF4:Guile
    SSF4:Guile
    Team troll:MODOK,Ammy,Trish Deadpool,Doom
    UMVC3:Ghostrider,Hawkeye,Trish,Doom,MODOK
  • Man Town MayorMan Town Mayor Habitual Line-Stepper Joined: Posts: 470
    Dormammu (a), Sentinel (a), Akuma (b)

Akuma goes through all projectiles they might try to throw your way, and is your "get off me" assist. If it hits, you get a free combo into Chaotic Flame with Dormammu. It can also be used in combination with Flame Carpet to OTG and relaunch in the corner or OTG-> Forward+H ->Dark Hole -> Chaotic Flame for a bit of extra damage and ease of use over his normal OTG -> super combo.

Sentinel Missiles assist is perfect for Dorrmammu. That plus dark holes and flame carpet keeps them out very well, and once again, if any of them hits, it's a free super. Missiles putting them in block stun (Akuma as well) makes for a perfect time to put down flame carpet, which shuts down pretty much the whole cast while it's out. Also, they aren't a tight block string, so you can teleport behind them between the second and third missiles and get an almost free mixup. If they start blocking it correctly, you can change the timing of the teleport, or start teleporting in front instead.

I usually play keep away until I kill a character, put down Flame Carpet in the corner while calling Sentinel to setup the unblockable on the next character, X Factor to kill them, then try to get a mixup on the third to win.
    Marvel 3 tier whore since November 2011

334 Mayor
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Maybe I've been away too long, but why has no one mentioned Trish yet?
  • SirKaiSirKai I Can See Through That! Joined: Posts: 66
    The best team would absolutely have to include Taskmaster and Dormammu. I think it's a toss up between Task/Dorm/Trish and Task/Dorm/Phoenix
    Ammy, Trish, Tasky
    SirKai's super unique UMvC3 team
    PSN: OurTheMerchant
  • YungKratosYungKratos My mom's a Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 631
    i play Deadpool A/ Ryu A /Doom A. Deadpool gets to jump back m guns and Doom beam eats everything drones, tatsu etc so you cant use assists to get in. once i land a combo into katana hyper i can dhc into up shinku or lvl 3 and if i really need to kill you i can dhc all the way to sphere flame. i also use ryu A beacuse if i get lazy i can just shoryu you off me when you get close and since its one of the few assists that have invince i can do that. ryu also has a really good lame game because he can do hado hado hado in the air and if you call assist he can just call doom and retake control of his space. deadpool is good because if im in the air doing falling tatsu i can go for an obvious unblockable which means since its seeable you will hold up back and give me space or eat it its your choice. finally doom is at his best with all the meter and lvl 3 xfactor at the end he can basically do as he pleases in the air especially with meter since he can just foot dive and if you jump hell push you out with photon array if you hit a button youll eat photon array and if you think you can punish photon array ill just airdash or footdive again once im done recovering and do it again or go to the ground. again deadpool a is used for unblockables if you do manage to have doom on point while hes alive. so yeah im not saying its the best zoning team im just saying its fucking too cheap.
    Check out AoF Dojo on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AOFDojo
    "Integrating the Fighting Game Community and Education one Mashed uppercut at a time
  • AuhsojSivartAuhsojSivart mmmmm bison Joined: Posts: 989
    Trish (any) / Doom (Missiles) / Sent (Drones)
    Blah Blah Blah I am an insightful person. Here is my post.
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    I'd have to say Deadpool, Taskmaster, and Phoenix.
  • IronknightIronknight Joined: Posts: 106
    Trish, Doom , Dorm
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    This is basically correct. People forget the definition of zoning is "keeping them in the area of space in which you want them." Somehow zoning has turned into slang for "keepaway" or "runaway," which are examples of zoning.
    USF4: Still soul searching. Thus far... Yun, Chun, and Akuma.
    UMvC3 mains: Morrigan Doom Vergil, Magneto Doom Ammy, Morrigan Doom Magneto
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC3: Dante Magneto Sentinel
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
    UMK3: Kabal, H.Smoke, Jax, almost everyone. Chess: 1. c4
  • VocalOgVocalOg Mostly known as TonyOgbot... Joined: Posts: 262
    Taskmaster/Sentinel/Phoenix

There is absolutely no way you can get in on Taskmaster zoning you out with Sentinel's drones coming in. Plus every single shot Taskmaster pulls off only adds meter for Phoenix to eat up. This team is so efficient it isn't even funny...
    This is basically correct. People forget the definition of zoning is "keeping them in the area of space in which you want them." Somehow zoning has turned into slang for "keepaway" or "runaway," which are examples of zoning.

The Slang term is what we're using. I would say "keepaway" if I wanted to be techinically correct, but most people recognize Zoning as a more popular term for the same thing.
  • ThisGuileKillYaThisGuileKillYa SSS++++ tier at exaggeration Joined: Posts: 2,627
    The Slang term is what we're using. I would say "keepaway" if I wanted to be techinically correct, but most people recognize Zoning as a more popular term for the same thing.
    My mom, who was a writer, used to tell me, "it's often more important to be understood than to be correct," so I guess I have to concede this one. But at least you recognize that, as far as syntax goes, the Wolverine answer is probably the best one. :p To keep on topic, though, The Taskmaster Doom missile duo is freakin great for keepaway style zoning. Also don't forget Storm for runaway style zoning. (I consider the two styles slightly different)
    UMvC3 fer funsies: Dante Vergil-or-Dorm Magneto, Wesker Sent Hawkeye, Dante-or-Magneto Doom Vergil, Wolvie Doom-or-Sent Akuma, Nova Doom Ammy, Magneto Doom-or-Sent Dante, Wesker Dorm Magneto, Dante Strange Magneto
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Sentinel ST: Chunny Bunny. 3S: Akuma, Ryu, Dudley. Vampire: Fish, BBHood
  • Canis TrucidoCanis Trucido Joined: Posts: 40
    I don't think we should use it as a slang term. There are a lot of examples in fighting games where zoning characters actually what you at a medium distance.
    Exactly.
    Yes, but most people use the term as slang, so I used it at slang.

If we were to actually use it correctly, then Wolverine Akuma and Wesker beam assist would be great for zoning. Both have incredible corner options, and therefore are good at zoning I.E. keeping them in the corner, which is advantageous because those characters have sick mixups.

Though were talking about "zoning out", so yeah.
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,446
    In terms of keepaway, Arthur (Whatever assist)/Doom (Hidden Missiles)/Hsien Ko (idk which one)
    This guy I played started every match with Hsien Ko, did the armor hyper then tagged in Arthur but smartly enough so I couldn't punish. Arthur runs throwing shit at you and if you get tooclose he uses Hsien Ko. Try to sj and he'll use Doom. His Doom just keeps spamming Hidden Missiles and using Hsien Ko if you somehow get him to come out. Hsien Ko keeps doing her jump in the air swing thing repeatedly (I swear I don't remember her touching the ground once) making you block until she finally gets a succesful hit then does a combo. Cheapest "zoning" team I've ever seen.
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Guile'DGuile'D SRK is truly Outrageous. Joined: Posts: 510
    yay i knew i built my team(Task/Sent/Phoenix) correctly! I feel Deadpool can prolly sub Task master, but Task has 1mil, so more meter when he dies for Jean. Not only does his health help out, but the meter you get from a charged AoH shot+2 or 3 drones= 1/3 a meter. My Secondray team is Task/Sent/Haggar. Not much sucess with this team so far, but its worked VS Phoenix enough for me to keep it. I also play team Wentinel, which is pretty annyoing, but i play it a bit more Rush then Running away. Another good team is Storm/Morrigan/Jean. Its basiclly MVC2 Storm "HoHOHOHOhOhO" all day. Float, call morrigan, throw a whirlwind, land, repeat till Phoenix tiem. :P
    In Umvc3,im thinking of playing GR/Hawk/Sent and having a secondary team of Hawk/Wright(hopefully hes good enough)or RR/Doom Missiles. I also heard cap is getting some major buffs in Ultimate, and Magneto sounds annyoing so far.
    "ATTRACTION!!!1!1!!!111" canceled into Shockwave is GG. And God Ryu with his Invisible Hadokens that give you a wallbounce sounds awsome!
    PSN: Cage-Redfield
    SFxT: Rolento/Ogre, Sakura/Ogre Working on: Poison, Xiaoyu, maybe Abel
    P4A: Chie Satonaka, Shadow Labrys
    As someone who's dabbled in both duos of task sent and task doom(missiles), I find myself wondering if anyone has found any good specific sequences that. Can closest resemble an infinite lockdown. Not in a literal sense, but basically like timing specific arrows and drone calls so as to flow from one drone call to the next, using the timing of the drones and arrows to do so with as little "hole" as possible. I imagine such a sequence would involve single and/or double arrow shots to change the ammount of time the move takes since obv just doing one or two triple arrow shots between drones doesn't quite work this way.

Has. Anyone figured out some good lock sequences in this manner? With missiles you can't keep going and going with no holes, but you can set up some pretty nice locks by timing arrows to hit before and after missiles do. The spiral sent player in me would really love for patterns like these, or something close to them, to exist!
  • LinariLinari Living under a rock Joined: Posts: 734
    Dante/Sent/Doom or Dante/Dorm/Doom

I'm sure these teams can create a nice lockdown with a pattern of Drones/Dark hole and Hidden Missles with Dante: [st.:h: xxweasel shot+ call Sentinel, stinger xxbold cancel, hammer, call Doom+stinger xxbold cancel xxreverb shock] repeat in brackets

Not sure if this is adjustable to advance guard though.

I can't remember clearly, but I saw someone do something similar on the Evo stream.
    XBL GT: Caipho
    SSF4: Cammy SCV: Hilde
    UMvC3: Dante/Morrigan/Strider KOF: Kim/Kensou(Kyo)/Takuma
    I only play fighting games and RE + http://thelinarixchristian.deviantart.com/ + :china:
    Check out a player named big D. He uses dante dorm doom and. Its artwork watching him vomit missiles with dante and doom together
  • MustachioMustachio Green Maid's Husbando Joined: Posts: 3,291
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Chris. Disregarding his lack of anti-air, it's grenades, grenades, grenades all day long. Then again... He gets put in the corner pretty easily.

Eat it. Suck it. Suck on this. Take this you're finished.
  • KarsticlesKarsticles Greetings. Joined: Posts: 2,700
    IMO, Deadpool/Doom/Haggar.

Deadpool and Doom can both OTG off of Double Lariat into a full combo, and Deadpool can use Plasma Beam to combo aerial qcf.M into qcf.M into hyper. If you want to mix things up, you can also use Plasma Beam for a cross-up teleport. Put Deadpool on Quick Work for unblockables for Dr. Doom.
    "Karst" for short.
    My YouTube Channel, Dedicated to Fighting Games:
    My YouTube Channel, Dedicated to Fighting Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8XyfyFtAkiWPRuW6mHB9sQ

My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
    My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
  • crimsonspider89crimsonspider89 Scarlet for DLC Joined: Posts: 2,984
    Dormmy(assist don't matter)/Haggar(what is he good for, lariat)/Trish(peekaboo).

Just sit back there set flame carpet and peekaboo and when they get hit by peekaboo or Haggar or flame carpet, into the corner they go and then dark hole/purification, reset with suffer, chaotic flame. Charge spells as other characters incoming. IF you are facing a team like Wolverine/Shulk and such.

If they have zoners as well, throw in Task instead of Trish with horizontal arrows.
    Zero is now Ichigo. Deal.
    Tools will support tools. Let it be spread.
  • Chipp Zanuff v5Chipp Zanuff v5 Tell me where it hurts.... Joined: Posts: 917

Shit is annoying as fuck

Dont hate on my team :(
    XBL: Bus Orez

Guilty gear xrd: ky
    USF4: Zangief
  • KJunkKJunk Joined: Posts: 2,950
    Here's the deal with zoning teams as a strategy - they usually lose to Phoenix badly. The reason is because if you're just sitting back chipping down a Phoenix team, they're guaranteed 5 bars. "Zoning" teams probably aren't rushing down aggressively snapping her in and mixing her up, either.

So either A) your zoning team needs to be capable of rushing down or B) you need to be playing Phoenix yourself.

Here are a few characters that are capable of zoning AND snapping in a Phoenix into a mix-up or kill. There may be others.
    • Dante - great keepaway normals and specials.
    • Magneto - amazing projectiles in Disrupter and his air :u::uf::f: fireball, and his Shockwave hyper is amazing
    • Amaterasu - midrange keepaway. Glaive stance + paper is awful for rushdown characters to approach.
    • Trish - very annoying mix of mobility, long range priority normals and specials
    • Zero - buster buster buster
    • Dormammu - his keepaway game has a few holes in it, but he also has a good flamecarpet/teleport mix-up game to go with it
    • Storm - she needs good assists to make the most of it, but she can play both roles well
    And a strong assist definitely helps. You're trying to control and win the neutral game, and if their assist outmatches yours, then you've got a big problem. I'd recommend assists like Tron, Haggar, Sentinel, Doom, Akuma, etc.

That or run Phoenix in the back and then you don't have to worry about rushing down as much, just surviving.
    When's Marvel? Go see for yourself - The UMvC3 Tournament and Stream Commentary Thread V2
  • NooneyouknowNooneyouknow Joined: Posts: 2,654
    Here's the deal with zoning teams as a strategy - they usually lose to Phoenix badly. The reason is because if you're just sitting back chipping down a Phoenix team, they're guaranteed 5 bars. "Zoning" teams probably aren't rushing down aggressively snapping her in and mixing her up, either.

So either A) your zoning team needs to be capable of rushing down or B) you need to be playing Phoenix yourself.

Here are a few characters that are capable of zoning AND snapping in a Phoenix into a mix-up or kill. There may be others.
    • Dante - great keepaway normals and specials.
    • Magneto - amazing projectiles in Disrupter and his air :u::uf::f: fireball, and his Shockwave hyper is amazing
    • Amaterasu - midrange keepaway. Glaive stance + paper is awful for rushdown characters to approach.
    • Trish - very annoying mix of mobility, long range priority normals and specials
    • Zero - buster buster buster
    • Dormammu - his keepaway game has a few holes in it, but he also has a good flamecarpet/teleport mix-up game to go with it
    • Storm - she needs good assists to make the most of it, but she can play both roles well
    And a strong assist definitely helps. You're trying to control and win the neutral game, and if their assist outmatches yours, then you've got a big problem. I'd recommend assists like Tron, Haggar, Sentinel, Doom, Akuma, etc.

That or run Phoenix in the back and then you don't have to worry about rushing down as much, just surviving.

This is why I was actually going to say that the best keepaway team is probably Storm/Morrigan/Phoenix in the current meta. The team both floods the screen with projectiles, has access to the DHC glitch (both Morrigan and Phoenix can finish it), and float run away with Dark Harmonizer serves as a meter denial mechanic to your opponent as well. And it's still a Phoenix team. Trish is the single best keepaway character by herself though.
    XBL:Nooneyouknow13
    This is why I was actually going to say that the best keepaway team is probably Storm/Morrigan/Phoenix in the current meta. The team both floods the screen with projectiles, has access to the DHC glitch (both Morrigan and Phoenix can finish it), and float run away with Dark Harmonizer serves as a meter denial mechanic to your opponent as well. And it's still a Phoenix team. Trish is the single best keepaway character by herself though.
    Ive thought a lot about the Storm/Trish + Morri/Ammy + Phoenix strategy. My main concern is fighting other Phoenix teams. Is there really any benefit to getting to 5 first if both of you end up reaching 5 anyway? Even if you play from the "tag in Phoenix, let her go dark, tag her back out" school, have you really gained anything by hitting 5 first? Some extra meter for DP maybe, but then you still have to come in on a welcome setup at some point.

Another question, not exclusively for Phoenix strategies, or even meter build assists, is if you're playing the runaway Trish/Storm game, where you have the options of calling assists while high up in the air, which are the best assists for abusing that privledge? There's got to be a balance of "assist you can hit with while flying around" with "assist you can capitalize off of when it does hit while you're flying around." I love the Storm/Trish runaway stuff in theory, but haven't been able to think of a dirty/broken/nasty enough assist setup to make the strategy jump from annoying to seemingly broken.
  • NooneyouknowNooneyouknow Joined: Posts: 2,654
    Ive thought a lot about the Storm/Trish + Morri/Ammy + Phoenix strategy. My main concern is fighting other Phoenix teams. Is there really any benefit to getting to 5 first if both of you end up reaching 5 anyway? Even if you play from the "tag in Phoenix, let her go dark, tag her back out" school, have you really gained anything by hitting 5 first? Some extra meter for DP maybe, but then you still have to come in on a welcome setup at some point.

Another question, not exclusively for Phoenix strategies, or even meter build assists, is if you're playing the runaway Trish/Storm game, where you have the options of calling assists while high up in the air, which are the best assists for abusing that privledge? There's got to be a balance of "assist you can hit with while flying around" with "assist you can capitalize off of when it does hit while you're flying around." I love the Storm/Trish runaway stuff in theory, but haven't been able to think of a dirty/broken/nasty enough assist setup to make the strategy jump from annoying to seemingly broken.

In a Phoenix team mirror, the denial mechanic works well because it simply means your have meter to burn snaps and welcome chip like Hail Storm, and they generally don't. Since the camera focuses on Storm while she's in flight, any quick assist is useful, and you can get some free pokes on people with low assist, or beams if you cross them up often, or simply to harass them while you pelt them with Lightning Sphere's Double Typhoons. Hitting a Typhoon at any height will allow you to do at least one Lightning Attack to lightning Storm as a follow up, usually two. I'm not aware of any way for Trish to actually call assist at super jump height barring a double jump into flight mode though, so it's not something you're going to see out of her as often as Storm. Essentially the goal with the team I listed is simply to run away with Storm and meter build, Marvel 2 style, and then move in when you're at 4-5 meters, then run again when you spend them. Against a lot of teams you're fully capable of unloading 6 consecutive Hail Storms for chip as well, although that really shouldn't be the primary goal. I don't recommend this against a Dorm team though, Purification can really mess it up, and potentially infinite an assist depending on location.

It's really about being able to play Marvel 2 Storm bullshit with Phoenix in the back though.
    XBL:Nooneyouknow13
  • Guile'DGuile'D SRK is truly Outrageous. Joined: Posts: 510
    my anti-phoenix strat is simple enough: Kill her team, let her turn first, wear out her xfactor, resume being a Jackass with task master/Sent/ phoenix untill Jean is ready, then i turn, and chip what ever is left:P This has been working for me since Task lockdown with Sent drones pretty much kills entire teams for me. PLUS this team has good DHC abilty.

OTG Arrow hyper xx Plasma Storm xx Phoenix Rage.
    Phoenix Rage xx Upward Arrow Hyper, wait, TK OTG arrow hyper
    Rocket PunchxxHSFxxHard DrivexxPlasma Storm xx Up forward Arrow Hyper
    PSN: Cage-Redfield
    SFxT: Rolento/Ogre, Sakura/Ogre Working on: Poison, Xiaoyu, maybe Abel
    P4A: Chie Satonaka, Shadow Labrys
  • TacitMagicTacitMagic Joined: Posts: 7
    Graphic wrote: »
    Deadpool/Dorm/Taskmaster is really annoying.

Who else would fit in as an anchor?
    PSN:TacitMagic
    Steam: TacitMagic

UMVC3: Nova/Dorm/???
    USF4: Decapre
    Melee: Ice Climbers B)