Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%FlashkickJoined: Posts: 660
We play fighting games, so obviously, we must do martial arts, right?!

Well, Some of us do...

Anyway, What's your Martial Art of choice? And if you have a representation of your rank, what is it?

I do Tae Kwon Do mainly. My Axe kick is top notch and I've almost made it to where I can do the 180 Degree Kick. My current belt Rank is Red Belt (but I test Friday for Red Tip), and I'm Three belts away from being a 1st Dan. Hwoarang inspired me to take Tae Kwon Do, and amazingly enough, a lot of his moves I've done at my Do-Jang (Rough Korean Translation for Tae Kwon Do Gym). I've yet to Master the Hunting Hawk though. >_>; But I've almost got his 10-Hit-Combo!
EVOLUTION 2013 9th Place Finisher - 40%Flashkick
Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
Twitter: @40Flashkick
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.fein.1?ref=tn_tnmn

Comments

• RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,174 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Damn, I thought this was a brand new account.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I know Shaq Fu...............
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • WingmanWingman Team NB Joined: Posts: 127
    Used to train at a boxing gym. Did a few kickboxing classes, too. I've never really seriously practiced a disipline, though. I should have gotten into karate or something when I was younger. I guess it's never too late.
  • HekutaHekuta Joined: Posts: 39
    Trained at kyokushin karate for awhile, now training in muay thai and boxing.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
    PSN: Takamura-BX, Reickou
  • ChapterBChapterB Joined: Posts: 86
    My dad put me in Tae Kwon Do when I was younger. It was cool, but back then I was lazy and didn't like sparring so I whined and complained my way out of going to my mom until I moved away from the dojo. Now that I'm older, I actually wouldn't mind taking it up again, especially since I started eating right and exercising and getting some weight loss out of it.
  • BobbypigoBobbypigo Joined: Posts: 2,466
    I was trained by Bendejo in the art of Pedo Sucio.
  • ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%Flashkick Joined: Posts: 660
    So we got a Boxer/Kickboxer, someone who practiced Kyokushin Karate and who now does Muay Thai, And someone who'd like to take back up Tae Kwon Do. Very nice.
    Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
  • MrTIMMrTIM Joined: Posts: 199
    3rd Dan ITF Taekwon-Do. And I mix that up with a session of MMA every week, since ITF is dying and most schools just don't train hard anymore. MMA covers my clinchwork, TKD is great for striking, since it's more or less old-school kickboxing when you take away the ITF ruleset.
    Eat a dick.
  • JoezorzJoezorz Certified Ninja Joined: Posts: 195
    Took Tae Kwon Do as a kid. Come to think of it, it was a pretty big rip off because I still can't shoot fireballs out of my feet.
    call the ASPCA, Kenmore idgaf. i stay washin my pocket frogs.
    THEY DIRTY! mad20000.gif
    -Shaft Agent
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,463 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    so we're just gonna pretend we dont have a long running mma thread.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    You gotta find those Old Grandmasters Tim, they teach the real shit, ITF isn't quite as good.

Follow my exploits on;

yep
  • PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    Goju ryu karate do. Been going at it for 9 years now.
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
  • MrTanookiMrTanooki S-Rank Joined: Posts: 151
    I've been training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai for a little over a year and a half now. I've always wanted to take up a martial art as a kid but my parents never put me in anything. Since I was able to pay for my own classes once I got a job at 19, I've been training since. I help teach the juniors (ages 7-12) classes too, and am incredibly envious of their skills. I just hope they remain committed to adulthood.
    Av by ReyArt
  • KumaOsoKumaOso Trust Your Instincts Joined: Posts: 3,752
    I always had a liking for martial arts ever since I played Tekken 3. I remember I would always imitate Xiaoyu's Phoenix Stance.

I took TKD from the time I was 11 til I was 16, and I eventually stopped at three belts away from black at that time because of time constraints and that I was simply losing interest. That being said, I was pretty good in it, and my instructor told me I had to control my power. When I started playing SF4, my interest in fighting picked up and I took Karate for a little while when I started college two years ago, but I left mostly because I didn't like the sensei's methods of teaching. Last semester, I took a Tai Chi class as a gpa fodder, probably one of the best decisions I ever made even though it didn't end up being a fodder. This fall, I'm looking to learn Monkey Kung Fu, specifically Hou Quan along with maybe some staff training since it's the only weapon you can go out on the street with.
    TTT2: Xiaoyu/Jaycee
    Virtua Fighter: Come On Eileen
    Avatar Art by Apofiss at DeviantArt.
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,532
    Practiced Karate for about a year when I was 5 then I just stopped for some reason. Thinking about getting into Kenpo/Kung Fu in the future once I become more fit with further use of Insanity. I'm also thinking about trying out Kendo as well since San Diego has a Kendo Dojo IIRC.
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
  • pootnanniespootnannies addicted to bad things Joined: Posts: 3,052
    i did judo for a while and a little bjj but i got a hernia and needed surgery. by the time i recovered i was so out of shape that i couldn't do it anymore :sad:
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
  • JavidJavid When will all this end? Joined: Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't know how many times this topic or some sort of iteration has appeared in GD. I sure as hell have lost count...

• klenerskleners Joined: Posts: 201
    I have over 20 years of MA experience. The Original Mixed Martial Arts.
    Tae Kwon Do - black belt.
    Cobra Kung Fu - Brown sash
    Jujitsu - Martial Studies
    Goju-Ryu Karate Do- weapons mostly
    Muay Thai - Full contact training and tourny.
    Special Forces Attack Training - Martial Studies
    Model Mugging Teacher Certified
    Child Endangerment Teacher Certified
    Gymnastics through High School
    Sho Ryu Ninjutsu - Martial Studies

Then got a career, married, got some very bad injuries. and now it is all gone. 10 years of no martial arts. every couple of years i find someone very into it. and i go sparring for a weekend. or special guest at there schools. But nothing hard core anymore. And most MMA schools i have seen in the past 5 years teach garbage Pit fighting, no discipline, or technique.
    UCC Presents "DFW Fight Club" check out "DFW FIGHT CLUB!" on facebook.
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    derrr for one that's mixed, for two the mma thread is about mma fighters, not srk mmaers

I don't do any, but I wonder about something. pertaining to the law and fighting training. how skilled do you have to be in order for your fighting ability to be considered a weapon? also.. if you built up fighting skills outside of a training institution, could they still consider it to be a weapon even if it's not a recognizable style? been wondering those two things for a while
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
    derrr for one that's mixed, for two the mma thread is about mma fighters, not srk mmaers
    your an idiot and clearly never visited the thread. you'd realize we talk about all styles, not just mma, as well as a bunch of us posters in the thread do martial arts of some kind.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • klenerskleners Joined: Posts: 201
    After awhile I went from Martial Arts to Martial Science. Or Martial Studies.
    No more History. No more Katas. No more belts. just adsorb all the knowledge, all the techniques, and when you find a weakness move to the next art which teaches you how to fix it. soon you dont say you know this art. because when you spar against them the styles dont match. its like watching the original first few MMA fights. Some very good arts just get stomped in the ground. but i did it all for survival. how to save myself if i was attacked, which happened when i was a child.
    UCC Presents "DFW Fight Club" check out "DFW FIGHT CLUB!" on facebook.
  • orkaorka alpha Joined: Posts: 7,174
    I've been training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai for a little over a year and a half now. I've always wanted to take up a martial art as a kid but my parents never put me in anything. Since I was able to pay for my own classes once I got a job at 19, I've been training since. I help teach the juniors (ages 7-12) classes too, and am incredibly envious of their skills. I just hope they remain committed to adulthood.

You're 19. That's still relatively young, man. Imagine how I feel when I see kids your age whenever I go train BJJ (I'm 27 btw).

Anyway, I plan to take up Muay Thai sometime next year.
    Kleners, that kind of blows that you lost all that ability. And It's sad to hear you actually got attacked while young.

Goju Ryu Karate, Pong? It would be nice to know more, I'll google it. Sounds cool.

Ichipoo, Kendo would be a great thing to take up, and the discipline really helps.

Kuma, Monkey Kung Fu? Hrm, that would be one hell of an interesting style...

Tanooki, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, From what I hear, is hella amazing. It kind of makes me wanna try it from word of mouth alone.

Follow my exploits on;
    your an idiot and clearly never visited the thread. you'd realize we talk about all styles, not just mma, as well as a bunch of us posters in the thread do martial arts of some kind.
    you know what... fuck you.

that's all I have to say.

by the way, you can find posts of mine in the mma thread. STFU.
    see ya buddy

• GalacticGalactic My member is Well-Known Joined: Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I do Gun-Fu.

^_-;
    Too Galactic for you.

^_-;
  • ManxManx Do yo feet stink? Joined: Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have a pretty good samurai sword and I know how to cut. Haven't practiced in a long time, but I got to where I can clean cut through tatami. None of them fancy pattern cuts, Screw all that. Just one single good cut is hard enough. I started off trying to learn iaijutsu, but it's really REALLY difficult learning all the kata for something you'll likely never use. :tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    you know what... fuck you.

that's all I have to say.

by the way, you can find posts of mine in the mma thread. STFU.
    so then you'd know we talk about all styles...which makes you more stupid...or just ignorant, you pick.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • Da BoogeymanDa Boogeyman Joined: Posts: 2,292
    I am a 1st degree black belt in tae kwon do
    I was in varsity wrestling
    I also joined a boxing gym for 6 months
    I am on my way to a blue belt in gracie jiu jitsu

Lol i do aerobic kick boxing on sundays...too does that count?

Martial arts are the purest exPression of humanity. Eh, i mean sure now i roll around with sweaty dudes and working on my gaurd game. No gii is more manly.

Also where i got my tkd black belt my teacher was a deputy sherrif. So we learned judo throws, takedowns, knee bars, armbars, rear naked chokes. Lol it was way different from my friend's tkd of running and fancy spinning kicks. My teacher was teaching us to kick ass lol

Also lack of discipline at an mma gym? Which one? You know how many mcdojos there are dude?

Also stupidest martial art is kung fu and tkd. Kung fu has no practical use in a real fight. Tkd is ass. You become way reliant at tourneys to just kick no hands at all.

Jiu jitsu and wrestling Along with muay thai and boxing pretty much what you should practice if you wanted to own people. TKD does have real nasty kicks though

Spinning back kick, front leg round house, front leg side kick, and axe kick

Tkd is super stylish though. I just never really think of how practical a 1080 spin

I earned my belts by getting my ass kicked. Good lessons.

I hated sparring girls, first hitting girls is wrong, second they were cute, third they kicked you in the nuts on purpose
    ManX, Amateur Bushido Expert, At your service. Very nice.

And I would agree about the Flashyness Boogeyman if it wasn't for the fact that Tae Kwon Do punches are the deadliest thing I've ever seen ever. So those who do remember to punch, punch hard.

Follow my exploits on;
  • MrTanookiMrTanooki S-Rank Joined: Posts: 151
    You're 19. That's still relatively young, man. Imagine how I feel when I see kids your age whenever I go train BJJ (I'm 27 btw).

Anyway, I plan to take up Muay Thai sometime next year.

Well, 20 now, and yeah I've had people tell me that before too. I'm still extremely grateful to be able to train, don't get me wrong. It's just when I see these 12 year olds pulling off techniques that most adults can't even do, I'm just awed by their skills.

Tanooki, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, From what I hear, is hella amazing. It kind of makes me wanna try it from word of mouth alone.

It definitely is. I'm not a big guy, 5'8", and I'm still able to hold my own against others much bigger then myself. BJJ really is a martial art where technique is able to overcome size.
    Av by ReyArt
    I don't want to sound presumptuous, but BJJ is pretty much the strongest form of martial art alongside wrestling (yea I know, I know, some people don't call wrestling martial art but I think it definitely applies).
  • Super EricSuper Eric Is Super. Joined: Posts: 51
    Varsity wrestling in high school, brown belt in Judo. Dabbled in BJJ for a bit too.

Chose school over being a human weapon and I haven't had as much time to practice lately.
  • KumaOsoKumaOso Trust Your Instincts Joined: Posts: 3,752
    Kuma, Monkey Kung Fu? Hrm, that would be one hell of an interesting style...
    It is. I've seen my share of it in Youtube videos, and what I've seen is very, very appealing. It's particularly acrobatic, random, and jittery. I'm a random and jittery person (no surprise there I suppose), and I've always wanted to conquer my fear of acrobatics. I'm checking out this school near my college next week, and I'm extremely excited.

I don't think I'll ever learn a grappling style any time soon. I'm a small person, bone structure wise, so I don't think I'm meant for it. Hmm.... maybe I should Mantis style as well to compensate for this.
    TTT2: Xiaoyu/Jaycee
    Virtua Fighter: Come On Eileen
    Avatar Art by Apofiss at DeviantArt.
  • KrimzonKrimzon Joined: Posts: 399
    I've trained tkd, muay thai, boxing, and jiu jitsu. I've dabbled in Judo here and there but not enough to declare it to anyone who knows what it is. Every gym does things slightly differently but to me, muay thai was the most brutal one of them all. Arms trembling on the 100th pushup and questioning whether I'm a man brutality.
    CvS2
    A-Bison
    activate, HP throw, c.rh (2 hit combo)
    true story
  • Th3 JoK3R JTh3 JoK3R J Got Claw? Joined: Posts: 772
    I don't want to sound presumptuous, but BJJ is pretty much the strongest form of martial art alongside wrestling (yea I know, I know, some people don't call wrestling martial art but I think it definitely applies).

There is no such thing as the strongest martial art form.
    "I get stronger in direct proportion to how strong my opponent is. I do not tire, and cannot be defeated." -Kisame Hoshigaki
  • Da BoogeymanDa Boogeyman Joined: Posts: 2,292
    Bjj and wrestling are strongest, you take a guy down and lock him in a sub

A punch and a kick in a real fight leaves you open to a takedown

A push kick to the chest is funny as hell though

Kung fu sucks, tkd sucks

Kung fu is the shittiest thing to master if you think you can use it in real life

Also sure throwing 300 punches from horse riding stance really helps with a jab

Eh mma has always shown

Grappling>>>striking

A good striker uses grappling defensively

A good grappler uses striking to set up clinchses/takedowns

Kung fu sucks, tkd sucks

Kung fu is the shittiest thing to master if you think you can use it in real life

Eh mma has always shown

Grappling>>>striking

^ question. what's the point of all the knowledge behind kung fu if it's "unusable in real life"
    see ya buddy

• pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,501
    I started doing Shotokan Karate 2 months ago. Found it appealing becasue of the philosophy behind it, and the moves and form blended really well with Muay Thai. something I used to practice in my younger days. I will pick up Muay thai again. Shit is so fun.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • PKSkylerPKSkyler Viewtiful and Stylish! Joined: Posts: 6,998
    Saikyo-Ryuu
    Kick, Punch, its all in the mind. Casino, Dojo, its all in the mind.
    "He may look like a mere boy, but dont let that fool you. He has PSI abilities that defy all scientific explanation. He can use teleportation, levitation, pyrokinesis, and psychokinesis."
    XBL@ PKSkyler
  • AkibanaZeroAkibanaZero @AkibanaZero Joined: Posts: 400
    I practiced Shotokan Karate from 7 years old for 14 years before I herniated a lumbar disc. I acquired my 1st Dan at 12 and participated in national tournaments in my country for several years and did quite decently. I regret never going for my 2nd Dan. During my graduate studies I joined the Aikido club of my university, which was run by a couple of great teachers, and it was an awesome experience as I had the opportunity to practice a lighter, compared to Shotokan, martial art. I live in Beijing now so I plan to one day pick up a Chinese art, either Tai Chi or Wing Chun.

From my perspective, a martial art is only as strong as its user. Grappling is pretty strong indeed but a clean strike to certain parts of the head can seriously disorientate you therefore placing you at a huge disadvantage as well. Karate has a punch that can leave you breathless for awhile when striking the small point below the solar plexus.
    akibana.jpg

My stream:
  • CStaticCStatic Was it something I said? Joined: Posts: 765
    I started off with Jujitsu but now I train Wing Chun and I'm looking to practice Wushu.
    "The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go".

GW2: Jane Woo - Sylvari Thief - The Unseen [UNSN] ~ Incinerator 04/12/12
  • Karas13Karas13 Joined: Posts: 276
    I am a master in the arts On NInjutsu, Sai-supsu, deep underground arts of tunnel jitsu. I have advanced training in weapons and tactics, explosive placement as well as disposal. 25 medals in open long range sniper aim and assessment techniques. I am also a master of the one inch punch, I'm able to punch through solid walls from a sitting down toilet position.
  • AlphaCatAlphaCat Joined: Posts: 106
    Aikido sounds like it might be good to learn about. I wonder if anyone has something to add to this.
  • WydeWyde Joined: Posts: 206
    I've dabbled with fencing for an indeterminate number of years, if that counts. I take part in lessons less often than usual nowadays due to university clashing with it, although I do have the occasional opportunity to poke poor souls with bendy swords every now and then.
    I'm only good at Soulcalibur V. =[
  • MrTIMMrTIM Joined: Posts: 199

Didn't need to know how to wrestle, or be labelled as "BJJ" to know how to do that.

If that were the case, nobody would ever get punched.

Funny as hell to watch, not funny when the other guy cracks his skull open on the pavement.
    Kung fu sucks, tkd sucks

TKD has a massive cross-training history within MMA.

.....something that developed out of real life situations is suddenly useless? The way people fight outside the octagon hasn't changed one bit.

Kyokushin does this as well.
    Eh mma has always shown

Grappling>>>striking

Not true. If anything, it has only shown that both are required knowledge. If grappling was indeed superior to striking, striking KOs would never occur.

This simply proves my previous point.

This also proves my previous point.

PS: Going to ground (whether you're stupid enough to go for a shoot or you just get tackled) is a sure way to get fucked up. Give your buddy a training knife and go for a roll, you'll see how shit ground fighting is in "real life".

The old arts don't suck. People have simply gotten soft. MMA brought full contact training back into the mainstream, and for that I can appreciate it.
    Eat a dick.
    Pretty much what Da Boogeyman said. MMA has proven (so far) that in order to be dominant, you must excel in BJJ, wrestling or both. And while the sport of MMA is in relative infancy, it is only becoming even more increasingly apparent year after year that BJJ and wrestling are pretty much essential if you even want to be anywhere competitive.

The things Da Boogeman listed may sound like blunt generalizations, but they speak a lot of truth. Another thing I will add is that a good grappler can neutralize a good striker's striking, but a good striker cannot neutralize a good grappler's grappling.
    Mr Tim, I salute for trying to reason with the silly shit going on in here.
    another question.. what's the point of boxing in MMA? seems you can get along just fine with muay thai and grappling.
    see ya buddy