Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,045
    5610bc8f73f25.jpg

She must have had that belt for 20 years...
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    5610bc8f73f25.jpg

She must have had that belt for 20 years...

not necessarily. ive seen belts do that within a 10 year span...just depends how hardcore your school is.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,750
    Be a decent person and wash your belt

• Mr MortMr Mort Giganticus breathalizer Joined: Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dab00g wrote: »

Not sure if you're being sarcastic here...
    No i am serious

Also spinning kicks work
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,007
    Don't wash your belt.

And yes, spinning kicks work.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Your uniform is supposed to be washed, pressed, and kept tidy at all times. Your belt however, is NEVER to be washed. Washing your belt would wash away all the sweat & blood you've poured into it, and would also symbolically wash away all the experience you've put into it. The most basic etiquette Japanese arts have about belts is that you never wash it, and you never place your belt on the ground. It's fine if you're wearing it and it touches the ground, but deliberately putting a belt on the ground is viewed as disrespectful. You put/toss things you don't care about on the ground. Tossing your belt on the ground is viewed as an insult to your art.
    Fuck you. I am not wanting to get staph or cellulitis or ring worm

Wash your belt and your gi
    In fairness, I can understand dab00g from a grappling perspective. Having a sweat stained belt is fine, if you're not emulating hot sweaty man sex every session.

When you have extended contact with another person's gi or belt, I get the need to wash, though.

That shit is so unlikely it's virtually impossible. As long as the uniform is washed, the belt is absolutely not a health hazard. I've trained with people who have had the same belt for decades, and in my 14+ years of training, this has NEVER happened to me, or anyone I have ever trained with. Hell, I've never even heard of such a preposterous theory.
    edited January 16
    Mr Mort wrote: »

That shit is so unlikely it's virtually impossible. As long as the uniform is washed, the belt is absolutely not a health hazard. I've trained with people who have had the same belt for decades, and in my 14+ years of training, this has NEVER happened to me, or anyone I have ever trained with. Hell, I've never even heard of such a preposterous theory.
    lmfaooo ive seen ring worm pop up in multiple gyms. just cause you've never seen it doesnt mean it doesnt happen elsewhere.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    edited January 16
    It is dumb not to wash it. You don't get lucky

Also wash your gloves, wraps, and kickpads

And try to clean your mouth guard

Just clean your gear if you don't want jock itch
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,694
    Your gi should be washed and hang dried after every training session. WTF is wrong with y'all.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    Your uniform is supposed to be washed, pressed, and kept tidy at all times. Your belt however, is NEVER to be washed. Washing your belt would wash away all the sweat & blood you've poured into it, and would also symbolically wash away all the experience you've put into it. The most basic etiquette Japanese arts have about belts is that you never wash it, and you never place your belt on the ground. It's fine if you're wearing it and it touches the ground, but deliberately putting a belt on the ground is viewed as disrespectful. You put/toss things you don't care about on the ground. Tossing your belt on the ground is viewed as an insult to your art.

Oh god this is dumb cleaning your clothes does not take away anything. A belt is just a belt. Fuck off with that mumbo jumbo.

Also you probably do some shitty karate like the other guys who are saying grappling is pointless.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,307
    edited January 16
    it's probably a Karate tradition specifically. You only have to worry about that stuff if your training on mats

"The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    The dirty belt myth originated in Judo and Karate.

The whole losing-your-ki bullshit is....bullshit, obviously. Judo and Karate don't deal with ki in the first place.

It's just tradition, to remind you of all the hard work you've put in.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,778
    edited January 17
    This might just be the greatest martial art school promo of all time :rofl:
    German Jujitsu Better than Brazilian JuJitsu

Her belt is faded, losing black color because it is at least 10 years old. Doesn't have to do with washing or not washing

Myth.
    edited January 17
    Washing your belt will make it fade faster anyway, due to all the agitation and constant soaking/loosening of the fibres.

Tbh, there's nothing more embarrassing to me than red stains on a white gi or dobok due to belt ink.

• MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 2,013
    edited January 17
    Wasted wrote: »
    The dirty belt myth originated in Judo and Karate.

The whole losing-your-ki bullshit is....bullshit, obviously. Judo and Karate don't deal with ki in the first place.

It's just tradition, to remind you of all the hard work you've put in.

Karate uses Ki, Judo does not. As someone that uses Ki in Kendo and practiced at a Japanese Traditional Judo dojo, some people have mentioned not washing belt/gi/gear but no one follows it....EVER....period.....
    In Japan I've heard this before since washing your belt is suppose to be a representation of your hard work and sweat which in turn equates to your Spirit (ki/chi).

Thing is, for one.... no one wants to do randori with someone who smells. Secondly, you should be washing your Judo Gi after every class and Hakama for those types of martial arts once in a while.
    Secondly, if you ever look at any strong Shodan or higher they always look CRISP since looking strong and having the correct posture/etiquette is a FAR more important aspect within a Japanese Dojo. If your gear smells in a Japanese Dojo... that's actually one of the worst things you can POSSIBLY do. Its hands down one of the most embarrassing things.... I know since this unfortunately happened to me. I was told 'you train to much', you need to buy extra gear via my Sensei and trust me it was not a nice conversation....Maybe one of my most embarrassing situations ever doing Budo

Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    Oh god this is dumb cleaning your clothes does not take away anything. A belt is just a belt. Fuck off with that mumbo jumbo.

Also you probably do some shitty karate like the other guys who are saying grappling is pointless.

Please point out where I said that grappling is pointless. Don't bother, because I never did.
    You don't know the first thing about me, where I've trained, or who I've trained with.
    There's more to martial arts than learning how to kick, punch, or grapple. If you can't see the value in studying the history behind your respective art(s), it's lineage, it's traditions (and why they're there), the philosophy behind it, and how to apply it in the modern world (by studying your local laws governing self-defense for example), you may as well be training with your eyes closed. If you really consider all that to be mumbo-jumbo, then I feel sorry for you.
    maxx wrote: »
    lmfaooo ive seen ring worm pop up in multiple gyms. just cause you've never seen it doesnt mean it doesnt happen elsewhere.

If there's ringworm or staph popping up in gyms, it's not because people are not washing their belts. As someone stated earlier, it's more likely that the gym itself is not being properly cleaned. The floor mats/pads, equipment, gloves, punching bags etc., need to be properly cleaned on a regular basis. It's the same reason staph is so prevalent in hospitals. One strip of fabric on an otherwise clean uniform is not going to give you ringworms. Come on, man.

Yeah you the dude coming in with that stank gi/belt
    edited January 18

Please point out where I said that grappling is pointless. Don't bother, because I never did.
    You don't know the first thing about me, where I've trained, or who I've trained with.
    There's more to martial arts than learning how to kick, punch, or grapple. If you can't see the value in studying the history behind your respective art(s), it's lineage, it's traditions (and why they're there), the philosophy behind it, and how to apply it in the modern world (by studying your local laws governing self-defense for example), you may as well be training with your eyes closed. If you really consider all that to be mumbo-jumbo, then I feel sorry for you.

If there's ringworm or staph popping up in gyms, it's not because people are not washing their belts. As someone stated earlier, it's more likely that the gym itself is not being properly cleaned. The floor mats/pads, equipment, gloves, punching bags etc., need to be properly cleaned on a regular basis. It's the same reason staph is so prevalent in hospitals. One strip of fabric on an otherwise clean uniform is not going to give you ringworms. Come on, man.

lol they clean the gyms...it dont mean shit if people keep comin in with germ infested clothing. a belt isnt made up of a strip of fabric...its weaved together where germs can live comfortably. its like you dont even science bro. a gym can fuckin douce the place in bleach but if niggas keep showin up with raggedy gross clothing its all for not.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Yeah you the dude coming in with that stank gi/belt

Your display of ignorance is impressive.
    Best of luck, I'm out.
    What the fuck do you think the instructors are doing after every one leaves for the night?

They're disinfecting the place. Not just for the adults sake, but for any kids training too. It's not just ringworm or staph that can spread, it's chickenpox, the flu, or even just common colds.

why would you need to clean your belt if your art is just a striking art :confused: so strange
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    edited January 18
    What the fuck do you think the instructors are doing after every one leaves for the night?

They're disinfecting the place. Not just for the adults sake, but for any kids training too. It's not just ringworm or staph that can spread, it's chickenpox, the flu, or even just common colds.

Also, any Japanese Dojo, we're cleaning it before and after every single class.
    PSN - TojiSake
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    why would you need to clean your belt if your art is just a striking art :confused: so strange

wut? nigga do you know how germs work?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    We dealing with grimey dudes who don't know what showers are

wut? nigga do you know how germs work?

I don't go to a Karate Dojo so I don't care either way :rofl: Maybe its lost in translation that only black belts get treated that way, maybe black belts that are only used on special occasions

Ray Kurzweil
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Grapplers have to hold two on one (hands) to maintain their grapple, this is fine with no attacking vital points but the grappler will have to reset his grasp to prevent dangerous strikes to eyes, finger breaks, throat strikes, bites, knee collapsing (all things banned in mma). This is the reality. Grappling needs to manipulate with two hands but these things alter the grappling process. That's the reality of street fighting

Fortunately, what you say is very wrong. Training in proven effective martial arts which include submission grappling and even basic striking, such as boxing, will help prepare an individual for these weak point attacks you specifically point out.

Your arguments sound reasonable. "Kick them in the balls and they'll fall"*. These techniques fail in reality against trained opponents because...

1. If they are going for techniques that cannot be practiced in fully resistant sparring, then they have no idea how to apply it in a real situation.
    On the other hand, reaching for the groin or face during a standing or grounded situation? Looks like some half assed technique to lift the leg or push my face back. I've dealt with that thousands of times. I've had attempts to grab my ears, toes, and fingers, and I've countered; that last part wasn't too hard as well. Gracies dealt with the same thing in vale tudo.

2. Everything the grappler/wrestling is doing has probably been practiced hundreds of times against full resistant opponents. It works. They're adaptable.

3. The grappler/wrestling has really great conditioning. Sure ok, you manage to get in a shot to the balls or face, a "weak point". They can take a hit. I've taken shots to the balls and kept going. I've been punched in the eye and fought through.

4. Sometimes, and everyone should agree about this, the attack to the weak point works. An unskilled attacker can always get lucky. This is why you should always avoid the fight. I've been hit by cheap shots (all but one not actually intended for me) and been lucky so far to not get knocked out and crack my skull on the pavement.

5. Weapons change everything. Out numbering the victim changes everything. That's the reality on the street. Training on techniques that cannot be practiced on a live opponent and a fully resistant opponent, cannot be relied on. This is proven over and over and over in "the streets" and in the octagon.

*Random aside: Murakami's book 1Q84 (yes in reference to the distopian 1984) has a main female character who talks about perfecting the technique of kicking a man in the balls. She goes to great lengths to understand what it means for a man to get his nuts crunched. The end of the world was mentioned. In the context of women's self defense courses.

It was fucking hilarious.
    MCP wrote: »
    Grapplers have to hold two on one (hands) to maintain their grapple, this is fine with no attacking vital points but the grappler will have to reset his grasp to prevent dangerous strikes to eyes, finger breaks, throat strikes, bites, knee collapsing (all things banned in mma). This is the reality. Grappling needs to manipulate with two hands but these things alter the grappling process. That's the reality of street fighting

Fortunately, what you say is very wrong. Training in proven effective martial arts which include submission grappling and even basic striking, such as boxing, will help prepare an individual for these weak point attacks you specifically point out.

Your arguments sound reasonable. "Kick them in the balls and they'll fall"*. These techniques fail in reality against trained opponents because...

1. If they are going for techniques that cannot be practiced in fully resistant sparring, then they have no idea how to apply it in a real situation.
    On the other hand, reaching for the groin or face during a standing or grounded situation? Looks like some half assed technique to lift the leg or push my face back. I've dealt with that thousands of times. I've had attempts to grab my ears, toes, and fingers, and I've countered; that last part wasn't too hard as well. Gracies dealt with the same thing in vale tudo.

2. Everything the grappler/wrestling is doing has probably been practiced hundreds of times against full resistant opponents. It works. They're adaptable.

3. The grappler/wrestling has really great conditioning. Sure ok, you manage to get in a shot to the balls or face, a "weak point". They can take a hit. I've taken shots to the balls and kept going. I've been punched in the eye and fought through.

4. Sometimes, and everyone should agree about this, the attack to the weak point works. An unskilled attacker can always get lucky. This is why you should always avoid the fight. I've been hit by cheap shots (all but one not actually intended for me) and been lucky so far to not get knocked out and crack my skull on the pavement.

5. Weapons change everything. Out numbering the victim changes everything. That's the reality on the street. Training on techniques that cannot be practiced on a live opponent and a fully resistant opponent, cannot be relied on. This is proven over and over and over in "the streets" and in the octagon.

*Random aside: Murakami's book 1Q84 (yes in reference to the distopian 1984) has a main female character who talks about perfecting the technique of kicking a man in the balls. She goes to great lengths to understand what it means for a man to get his nuts crunched. The end of the world was mentioned. In the context of women's self defense courses.

It was fucking hilarious.

So grapplers are used to it all? Then why is it banned in UFC if its supposed to be about real fighting?

Nobody wants to get bitten, nobody wants to get their eyes poked out for good, nobody wants theirs knees crippled for good. These things will happen if your opponent is trained to make those situations happen. You talk as if they're just random occurrence's YES they are if you don't have those kind of intentions. The best fighters you'll find on this planet fight like animals they don't lose themselves in the name of their art they lose themselves in the name of ripping your eyes out.

Stop avoiding the reality of grappling on pavement

Stop avoiding the reality of HOW SENSITIVE YOUR EYES ARE

You can practice moves trillions of times, a real fight is a mess. You may be able to control someone who is just emotional and doesn't know what he's doing but a real dirty fighter that knows what he's doing and has nothing to lose will fuck you up good. Which is why its best to run or at least keep your distance

You have less chance of running if you ONLY practice grappling, you need to be proficient at all distances. But if its a guy with a knife he is MOST LIKELY going to pull it out while your trying to do that wrestling move that's on your mind. Appreciating distance control allows you to assess his intentions while eliminating the potential of a random stabbing. And even if he didn't have a weapon on him do you really want to go into grappling when you have no idea how good they are? It's madness.

Ray Kurzweil
    You have never trained, you would know headbutts, elbows, eyepokes, low blows, knees happen

It isn't called the gentle art
    edited January 20
    You have never trained, you would know headbutts, elbows, eyepokes, low blows, knees happen

Pretty sure that's exactly what "jujutsu" translates to, actually.

I do grappling. Or catch. I know bij calls itself the soft art and judo is also that.

It's a misnomer
    edited January 20

I'm quite good at the sport type of mma fighting, I enjoy it a lot and have very very good footwork. I go to gyms and people want to learn from me.

But the reality of fighting is its not as clean cut as it looks in mma, those are talented fighters who are limited by rules, not only for SAFETY (in a fight? :confused: ) but also to keep the fights interesting for the viewers, the people who are bringing the money. Ufc/mma is a business, the more they promote systems the more support they cultivate across the board

Ray Kurzweil
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,694
    That's why you should train Hokuto Shinken. If you train for mutants on a nuclear wasteland, you can handle anything on the streets.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    edited January 20

Pretty sure that's exactly what "jujutsu" translates to, actually.

That's Judo too actually.
    'The Gentle Way' is the direct translation of Judo.
    The Ju character in both Judo and Jiu in Jiu Jitsu means soft or gentle.
    Then Do meaning way(that is a much more complicated definition) and Jitsu coming from Jutsu meaning waza, method, or technique.
    Thats why the joke is the 'not so' gentle way.
    PSN - TojiSake
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So grapplers are used to it all? Then why is it banned in UFC if its supposed to be about real fighting?

Nobody wants to get bitten, nobody wants to get their eyes poked out for good, nobody wants theirs knees crippled for good. These things will happen if your opponent is trained to make those situations happen. You talk as if they're just random occurrence's YES they are if you don't have those kind of intentions. The best fighters you'll find on this planet fight like animals they don't lose themselves in the name of their art they lose themselves in the name of ripping your eyes out.

Stop avoiding the reality of grappling on pavement

Stop avoiding the reality of HOW SENSITIVE YOUR EYES ARE

You can practice moves trillions of times, a real fight is a mess. You may be able to control someone who is just emotional and doesn't know what he's doing but a real dirty fighter that knows what he's doing and has nothing to lose will fuck you up good. Which is why its best to run or at least keep your distance

You have less chance of running if you ONLY practice grappling, you need to be proficient at all distances. But if its a guy with a knife he is MOST LIKELY going to pull it out while your trying to do that wrestling move that's on your mind. Appreciating distance control allows you to assess his intentions while eliminating the potential of a random stabbing. And even if he didn't have a weapon on him do you really want to go into grappling when you have no idea how good they are? It's madness.

Ok ok.
    Let me try to put it into my point of view.

First, I'm not saying BJJ/grappling is the end all be all. I'm trying to say it's a valid and efficient form of training that leads to strong and adaptable martial artists.

Second,
    Every time I've run into someone talks about attacking the weak points and makes a list, as you did, they are using that as an excuse to avoid the hard work involved in training to fight.

It's not about avoiding reality that eyes and groins are weak points or that fights are messy. Everyone learns that.
    It's about practicing what can be practiced in safe, meaningful, and efficient training methods. Using intelligence to try out new methods. Traveling to experience different types of opponents.

When people talk about gouging the eyes, all I've ever seen it used as, is an excuse to avoid training that involves long term hard work and discipline that leads to growth and a strong ability to adapt.

I can see you're focusing in on BJJ doesn't teach you weapons or that grappling is limited. It is limited and it doesn't teach about weapons.

An able BJJ practitioner can go to an Escrima or self defense courses and quickly adapt to the skills required. It's encouraged within the system to learn new things. They can then apply the practical and efficient training methods they are used to in order to become adaptable.

So you can see my hypothesis stems from the previous experiences that people who list weak points use it as an excuse to avoid the hard work put in by, for example, a BJJ student.

If you are not such a person, then may the force be with you.