Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,401
    Wing Chun is cool as an art and works fine against other Chinese martial arts practitioners it's just useless in an actual fight. If it wasn't, it would have been incorporated into MMA by now.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,395
    Wing Chun is like karate and Krav Maga and Tae Kwon Do in the sense that there is a lot of mall horseshit out there.

There are also variations the style depending on which lineage you are studying under and some of those lineages aren't that good, combined with the fact that it is pretty esoteric.

Good luck not finding a master who is teaching you slap boxing.

Good Wing Chun exists and I guess I'm lucky to know what it is.

MMA isn't martial arts or a good representation of what good self-defense is. I think Rener and Ryron Gracie touched on that.

Whatever. Do your own research and make your oen opinions.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 19,128
    Rener still butt hurt over catch being better than gracie jiu jitsu

Hell they still butt hurt over 10th planet

MMA is a better representation of what is possible

Sure you can go back to nhb days, but a highly skilled guy with impetus to gouge, fish hook, and nut grab is scarier than that bro who says "come at me bro!" Followed by windmills or really sloppy overhand rights

In those wshh it is always a slow and uncoordinated overhand.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,487
    edited March 10
    Wing Chun is like karate and Krav Maga and Tae Kwon Do in the sense that there is a lot of mall horseshit out there.
    Add JKD in bold to that list
    FrostyAU wrote: »
    Wing Chun is cool as an art and works fine against other Chinese martial arts practitioners it's just useless in an actual fight. If it wasn't, it would have been incorporated into MMA by now.

That's not how it works, as Bruce Lee would say take what is useful discard what is not. Noone is going to pop out into a WC stance but there are elements/concepts of WC that can be very useful in MMA. Back when WC was created all the kung fu styles were throwing circular punches and kicks, WC taught straight lines, changing angles, speed drills and economy of motion.
    Wing Chun is shit compared to boxing
    Why not do silat instead if you want no glove fighting
    Outside of just dirty fighting and improvising with your environment being able to box and being able to wrestle is all you need to fight well. Muay Thai as well I guess because it teaches you how to fight in a clinch.
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,232
    Gimpy wrote: »
    I'm going to let y'all in on a little secret. The best martial art for you to take is.....
    The one that YOU decide to practice!

One of the best posts around. Just because it works for you, it doesn't mean it will work for me. Choose whatever martial art fits you and go for it. I picked Shotokan Karate and I'm very happy with my choice.

• ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 9,703

It's just not popular in America.

Kind of like how real football (soccer) is not popular in America and the US is trash at it.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,338
    edited March 11
    .....Bruce Lee was American and is pretty much the only reason aside from Ip Man that WC is popular now. Wing Chun is probably the most common Chinese system around, unfortunately.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Wing Chun is popular in Hong Kong and the areas around mostly. Wing Chun used to wreck those Choy Li Fut guys on the rooftops and it just became a trend for self-defense. They weren't ready to catch those hands.

I don't think martial arts are popular period.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,301
    @Tekno Virus

She doesn't need any protection

• GeddoeGeddoe True Lightning Joined: Posts: 119 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Seeing this topic just reminds me that it has been forever since I have done any martial arts. Hopefully it changes soon.
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,232
    Wasted wrote: »
    Wing Chun is probably the most common Chinese system around, unfortunately.

True, it is the only chinese martial art you can train where I live.

What are other solid chinese martial arts that would be worth training into ? Both from southern and northen styles. I only know of Wushu, but from what I understand, wushu is mostly for exhibitions and not very practical.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,487
    edited March 12
    Check out Sanshau, it's the martial art they learn in the Chinese military and the one that ex MMA champ Cung Le uses.
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    Wing Chun is probably the most common Chinese system around, unfortunately.

True, it is the only chinese martial art you can train where I live.

What are other solid chinese martial arts that would be worth training into ? Both from southern and northen styles. I only know of Wushu, but from what I understand, wushu is mostly for exhibitions and not very practical.

No Chinese martial arts are practical
    Das bait f3d7fe4b7934ce9677ef949cc2dc76d3.gif
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,301
    If you get physically attacked by someone on PCP your first instinct should be to knock that person out cold, that's exactly what I would do.

Knocking out the man who feels no pain and can shrug off bullets.

...Right....
    Check out Sanshau, it's the martial art they learn in the Chinese military and the one that ex MMA champ Cung Le uses.

When was last time Cung Le won...

He's afraid of contact sports and said boxing is useless
    edited March 12
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    If you get physically attacked by someone on PCP your first instinct should be to knock that person out cold, that's exactly what I would do.

...Right....

You're being stupid
    Nah you overrate chinese shit because you got some black guy in the park saying tiger palm is stronger than preying mantis
    edited March 12

...Right....

November 2012, his second last fight. His last fight was in August 2014 then he retired. He had a 9-3 record in MMA and 17-0 in kickboxing.

The problem with cung le was his wrestling and his age

Then they stopped trt treatments being legal
  • angelpalmangelpalm Pancakes are delicious yo Joined: Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dab00g wrote: »
    Nah you overrate chinese shit because you got some black guy in the park saying tiger palm is stronger than preying mantis

BLASPHEMY!!

The fuck is a tiger palm?

• angelpalmangelpalm Pancakes are delicious yo Joined: Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The fuck is a tiger palm?

my fursona according to all these delusional mlp fuccbois :coffee:
    Das bait f3d7fe4b7934ce9677ef949cc2dc76d3.gif

If you can find an improvised weapon, use it, yes.

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,236 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Weird quwsri
    @Tekno Virus

She doesn't need any protection

lmfao. fake as fuck smh.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,941
    edited March 17
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    It's easy compared to other martial arts because you only learn how to punch, and punching is very natural.

As for the practicality, any MA will help you in a street fight, but I believe there are better options. The fact that you only learn how to punch means you have a limited arsenal. You don't learn how to kick, knee, or hit with your elbow. You don't learn throws or locks. Even worse, you don't learn how to defend against a kick or a throw.
    Finally, boxing being a sport means you train under certain rules. You train using boxing gloves (and it is quite different blocking with or without gloves), with a point system and fighting only against one opponent.

Ahahahahahah.
    Are you in the Toronto area? Please come learn boxing at my boxing club and then tell me how easy it is. You're a joke if you think punching while being punched is natural. Weren't you just starting martial arts? What the hell do you know about boxing? Have you ever even done boxing? I think its amazing you're pursuing the arts you like because I'll touch on that in a sec. But don't spout nonsense that you know nothing about.

Also who cares if a martial art is 'practical'. People get too caught up with pretending they're going to be in a UFC style street fight when 99 percent of people never get in fights in their entire life even when the moment is staring at them in the face. Yes martial arts are a form of self defense but the majority of meanings including Dab00g's Jiu Jitsu originally comes from some form of Budo or 'way/lifestyle' or in the case of Kung-Fu; not the martial art but the lifestyle which literally means betterment. I've done Kung Fu, Karate, Judo, Kendo, and I was and still teach boxing/have boxed for now close to 20 years and my father ran a boxing gym for over 20 years. I don't regret any of the martial arts I've taken as long as you have the right mentality. And that mentality should always be betterment. Of yourself, of your spirit, or your mind, of your body, of your society. People that just want to learn to just punch and kick to be tough or because 'its cool' miss this fundamental. Which is actually the foundation of all martial arts, practical or not.
    Post edited by MIRACLEARROW on
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,020
    Sick avatar. I haven't complimented an avatar in maybe 10 years too.
    edited March 16
    I rep catch wrestling and grappling as a whole more than bjj

But the life of a martial artist is one of doing it as a hobby to improve your health and improve as an athlete/practicioner

Think about it, if you are doing it for fun never intending to improve or get to a higher level you are a joke.

I can appreciate you guys doing wushu or other exhibition performance arts stuff.

But saying a cruddy style like wing chun will win you street fights and is better than boxing or muay thai. I just get angry.

Like you train and you can tell what works and what doesn't. That is why i love grappling because of all the theories being tested daily.

But that is me.

Trying to master boxing and muay thai is also a lifelong journey.

But for something like jeet kun do or those non contact karate/tkd mcdojo bullshit

I get mad at shitty teachers.

This could be based in how i was brought up in boxing and tkd as a kid by super strict coaches.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    "Cultural heritage"

Karate is a 20th century creation.

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 7,930
    Wing Chun is shit compared to boxing

You say this like martial arts didn't change western boxing into what it is today
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Styles change, wing chun chin straight up coming forward with straight arm punches is a shitty style that has never changed

Boxing has taken points from fencing, and established punching methods

But in boxing your footwork and speed is what makes you.

Charging forward with no real defense is a dumb style. That leads to concussions and bad shit.

But hey, i mean there are aspects of sumo used in judo that makes sumo superior right?
    edited March 17
    Sumo has been used in MMA before. Lyoto Machida uses Sumo techniques as part of his takedown defence and he's done pretty well over the years as a striker that's hard to takedown. In the end what works is what works regardless of where it came from and the problem with a lot of Chinese martial arts is that too much of it is rigid because that's the style, it's like shitty bands playing shitty music because it fits a certain genre. You gotta experiment and branch out, Bruce Lee realised this and MMA was the ultimate test for it when everyone came in with individual styles and eventually it became what it is through trial and error and stealing others shit.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,542
    Man, fuck this MMA bubble. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy martial arts and I think it's great they're making more money now than back when I was actively training, but it's such a fucking pain trying to get back in nowadays. It's all fucking crossfit, weirdo group circuit training where you're practicing different styles on different days, and all this fucking bullshit. Like, I went to the gym closest to me to check it out. They wouldn't even tell me what kind of martial arts they taught or what schedule unless I wrote down my name and number on a contact sheet!

I get that with this whole circuit training culture people want to do something different all the time, but I want to learn and get better, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that if I keep hopping from muay thai to BJJ to fucking boxing every other day. Just give me a big burly motherfucker who beats the shit out of me using one goddamn discipline! Or at the very least, several different disciplines with a coherent focus so I learn mat wrestling or boxing or stand-up fighting or whatever! The entire point of this was that I'd get more motivated to work out, not to have to deal with the same fucked up gym snake oil routine I already get!

I'm pretty sure Daniel fucking Cormier doesn't swing kettlebells around or does bodypump muay thai or whatever to get ready for a fight! And I'm really goddamn sure his trainers tell him what he'll be training ahead of time!
    SFV: Gief, Bison
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    Garou: Grant, Butt
    KI: Riptor, Aganos
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,941
    Kecka wrote: »
    Man, fuck this MMA bubble. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy martial arts and I think it's great they're making more money now than back when I was actively training, but it's such a fucking pain trying to get back in nowadays. It's all fucking crossfit, weirdo group circuit training where you're practicing different styles on different days, and all this fucking bullshit. Like, I went to the gym closest to me to check it out. They wouldn't even tell me what kind of martial arts they taught or what schedule unless I wrote down my name and number on a contact sheet!

I get that with this whole circuit training culture people want to do something different all the time, but I want to learn and get better, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that if I keep hopping from muay thai to BJJ to fucking boxing every other day. Just give me a big burly motherfucker who beats the shit out of me using one goddamn discipline! Or at the very least, several different disciplines with a coherent focus so I learn mat wrestling or boxing or stand-up fighting or whatever! The entire point of this was that I'd get more motivated to work out, not to have to deal with the same fucked up gym snake oil routine I already get!

I'm pretty sure Daniel fucking Cormier doesn't swing kettlebells around or does bodypump muay thai or whatever to get ready for a fight! And I'm really goddamn sure his trainers tell him what he'll be training ahead of time!

Pretty sure you need to find some real/dojo's or gyms. The place you went to sound suspect at best. Any good club is going to let you try a class and know exactly what style they're teaching.
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    He needs to find a good dutch kickboxing club or find out where gustaffson trains

@kecka find a place associated with golden glory, gracie bjj, or that focuses on catch wrestling

I know sweden has a rich history of kickboxing, so why not look for a place specific to that

Also a real mma gym has classes listed on their website.
    I know there are good ones. Like I said, I used to do martial arts before I decided to become a scrawny white boy addicted to sugar.

It's just that it's infinitely harder to find them in the quagmire of so-called "MMA gyms" that have popped up after UFC went big. It's a fucking full-time job to find a place that is not either a glorified Crossfit gym or a white dude talking about the ancient and mysterious traditions of the Orient. Or fun, because fuck fun, that's what I have video games for.

And don't get me wrong, I'm the furthest from badass or hardcore you can come, but if I'm going to do this, I need to know I have trainers who take their jobs seriously and will beat the everliving shit out of me if I slack off. I've tried the whole PT thing, and positive motivation and a soft touch doesn't work for me. My judo coach was a giant hairy Indian man who once threw me so hard I thought I had cracked a rib, because I couldn't breathe right for what felt like hours afterwards. Not in a match or spar, mind you, it was just to show a move. But it worked. I practiced my ass off and was in the best physical shape of my life.
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    I've tried some MMA before and being good at boxing gave me an instant upperhand. In the end there was too much extra to learn though so I stuck to boxing. Especially in the states there are a lot of solid boxing gyms around. I don't know exactly what you're after but I'd recommend you box.
    I've tried some MMA before and being good at boxing gave me an instant upperhand. In the end there was too much extra to learn though so I stuck to boxing. Especially in the states there are a lot of solid boxing gyms around. I don't know exactly what you're after but I'd recommend you box.

I actually got a recommendation for a good boxing gym from a friend who is hardcore into MMA and is friends with the coach. I think his words were "he'll force you to run until you puke for months before he'll even let you touch a pair of gloves". The only issue is that it's a bit of a distance and it might be hard to make it there from work. Boxing isn't as big here, probably because of super weird government restrictions that mean matches can't go over four rounds, and professional boxing was outlawed up until the late 2000s. But kickboxing is fine for whatever reason, and we've usually been pretty good at it due to Swedes naturally being a large people with long limbs, so I've been thinking about picking that up.

I really like matwork, though.
    Matwork is why I stopped MMA. I won every fight until the ground and then it was both difficult and a tad boring to me. Not just boring to watch, boring to do. Loads of patience and body odor and just slow muscle drain. If you like it you like it but I don't
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I stopped since moving to Georgia, I was in a little hole in the wall karate dojo that focuses on real life training and discipline and cared about the history. Everything I find in Augusta is homogenized bs.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001