Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 18
    Good MMA gyms are pretty hard to find, I usually look for ones that have a few guys actively fighting in the MMA circuits. The curse of the McDojo is real though, and what used to be shitty TMA schools are now shitty MMA gyms.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,822 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    J-ride wrote: »
    Good MMA gyms are pretty hard to find, I usually look for ones that have a few guys actively fighting in the MMA circuits. The curse of the McDojo is real though, and what used to be shitty TMA schools are now shitty MMA gyms.

they arent hard to find. back trace good local/big mma fighters.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't personally care about MMA gyms, they don't prepare you for real world stuff and are about money most of all.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,647
    Gimpy wrote: »

When I was in Honolulu, I was in HOKK, which has its roots in Okinawan karate. I'll upload a cert when I get a chance
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,755
    Good Wing Chun exists and I guess I'm lucky to know what it is.

Do go on...
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

When I was in Honolulu, I was in HOKK, which has its roots in Okinawan karate. I'll upload a cert when I get a chance

I took Issin or Ishin ryu depending on where you live which is Okinawan as well, went through legit weapons training.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,040
    jae hoon wrote: »
    I don't personally care about MMA gyms, they don't prepare you for real world stuff and are about money most of all.
    All gyms first priority is locking you into a contract

What real world stuff is your white ass dealing with in georgia? Like come on.

Also if you are winning every fight before hitting the ground that is on you

But some people might find the clinch boring for muay thai. Just guys trading knees for 3 minutes in a tight 50/50 clinch

But it is the work put in

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about how awesome submission grappling is

Watch ebi videos.
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,556
    I don't personally care about MMA gyms, they don't prepare you for real world stuff

Hey, I'm mostly doing it as a way to help motivate me to stay in shape. Stop skipping gym sessions, or you're going to get your ass kicked. It's not like dudes are stepping to me on a weekly basis, and even if they did, they're more than likely to outnumber me 4 to 1 and be armed. I'm a straight white man, the cops are on my side.
    SFV: Gief, Bison
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    Garou: Grant, Butt
    KI: Riptor, Aganos
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,253
    edited March 19
    Same reason brought me into martial arts. I worked too much at a desk, so I wanted to do a sport to keep me in shape. I started karate and I got really hooked up. I discover I really like it and now I'm not skipping a training session, sometimes I even train at home in between gyms. It is pretty awesome when you start to see some improvements (even small ones).

?? no a good gym is about growing their students. if they are good, the money will come and they wont have to be crazy chasing it.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,486
    Side question: how does martial arts experience look on a resume? On mine, I listed the competitions I've entered and the belt exams I passed under extracurricular activities. It actually got me a job letter of some sort beause I "did sports".
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'd just list something like, "10 years of dedication to [insert series of martial arts]" which shows something about your character.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,763
    I've never put it on a resume. For me it was Dragon Ball Z as a kid and later it helped me cope better with life having an outlet and confidence
    When I was a kid we grew up with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Man, all kids wanted to be ninjas back then...fun times. Even if I was really interested in martial arts, I've never got to practice one until now. I was pretty weak in school and my parents didn't want to hear about doing anything close to "fighting"

• GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Dramatix wrote: »
    Side question: how does martial arts experience look on a resume? On mine, I listed the competitions I've entered and the belt exams I passed under extracurricular activities. It actually got me a job letter of some sort beause I "did sports".

Don't do that. First sign that they might let you go, you side kicking someone will be in the back of their minds.
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,585
    Me in an interview:

"So what are your hobbies?"

Tek: I do Muay Thai
    "What is that?"
    *gives explanation*
    "Oh! sooo... it's like street fighting?"
    Tek: .....nooo?

Suffice to say, I didn't get the job (mostly because I was super over qualified)
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    It's all about how you spin it. Try to phrase it in a way that implies that if terrorists try to take over the building, you will be able to take them out one by one with sick chops to the throat and spin kicks.

What employer wouldn't want that?
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    There were also a few cases where talking about martial arts also didn't pan out for me on a few occasions when going out with girls. I don't think they thought it was weird but more so alien and even more so that they couldn't relate to it. 8/10 should've talked about Sex in the City or House of Card except... fuck that, I'd rather kick the bag and shout oyyyyy or roll and make heavy eye contact with another guy on the ground.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,692
    Should have just said it's the National sport of Thailand.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.

depends what age you are. some still treat a black belt the same way eagle scouts used to be treated. in high regard...i generally only put it down if its a sports related activity.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Never put martial arts on your resume unless you are applying to be a self defense instructor

I will throw your application into the trash

Don't do that. First sign that they might let you go, you side kicking someone will be in the back of their minds.

Pretty much this. Unless they do martial arts they'll interpret as you being a danger not an asset. If you're applying for something like a bouncer or something, go ahead, even the force maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea but not for most jobs.
    maxx wrote: »

depends what age you are. some still treat a black belt the same way eagle scouts used to be treated. in high regard...i generally only put it down if its a sports related activity.

23, purple belt. I figured my competition experience would be something to add since my resume consists of just academic and retail experience and little to no skills, or at least valuable ones. I recently gave my resume a rework but it still isn't much.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,647

Depends on what black belt. Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan are whatever. Yondan is when they start to get more respect. From Godan on up, yeah those are the ones that are like Lieutenant Colonels (LTC) and above.

Comparing black belt ranks to army officers:

Shodan - 2LT
    Nidan - 1LT
    Sandan - CPT
    Yondan - MAJ
    Godan - LTC
    Rokudan - COL
    Shichidan - BG
    Hachidan - MG
    Kudan - LTG
    Judan - GEN
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,692
    edited March 20
    I've seen some employers get scared when they see martial arts on my resume. It was one reason why I took it off.

It's a good way to trigger the extreme pacifists. Recently I twisted it to say I teach/taught (half-truth, I don't teach Kung Fu, but I taught TKD for a few years). Gives me a means of explaining that not only do I have to pass background checks (to work with kids), but I have to adapt to people of different ages and abilities/impairments.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 20
    Do not put that you practice martial arts on a job resume, that will red flag you as a potentially violent employee. I don't put any hobbies on a resume, and I have never been asked my hobbies in a job interview.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    J-ride wrote: »
    I don't put any hobbies on a resume, and I have never been asked my hobbies in a job interview.

I actually have on multiple occasions. It's a pretty normal question to feel you out, because a lot of the interview process isn't so much what you answer as how you answer it. Much like asking about your weaknesses, personality, and all that other stuff that doesn't really have anything to do with your qualifications and/or you aren't going to answer honestly because you want the job. They're trying to gauge if you're a functioning individual capable of handling social interaction on a daily basis without making all your co-workers uncomfortable and unproductive. But yeah, don't put shit like that on your resume. By all means, if they ask about your hobbies, talk about it, but bringing it up first without a lead-in can end up coming off as if you don't have any "real" qualifications and are grasping at straws, or that you are obsessed with it to the point you have to tell people in your vicinity about it at every opportunity.

But I've gotten jobs off interviews where I sperged out about arthouse movies or history. It's all about keeping it at the appropriate level for the appropriate time. Hobbies are good, particularly ones that involve social interaction, because it shows you have interests outside of work and are not some antisocial robot. Most people think martial arts are cool, but if you start going nuts about the minutiae you're going to come off as a weirdo. Hide your power level. Say you do martial arts, what styles, and then politely answer questions succinctly.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Do not fist the android grills!! Joined: Posts: 23,041 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Dudes talking about putting their martial arts stuff on resumes?

Oh lord, we trying to get roles as random scrub number 13 in a new direct to video Seagal flick?
    Kecka wrote: »
    But I've gotten jobs off interviews where I sperged out about arthouse movies or history. It's all about keeping it at the appropriate level for the appropriate time. Hobbies are good, particularly ones that involve social interaction, because it shows you have interests outside of work and are not some antisocial robot. Most people think martial arts are cool, but if you start going nuts about the minutiae you're going to come off as a weirdo. Hide your power level. Say you do martial arts, what styles, and then politely answer questions succinctly.

I think you shouldn't bring up martial arts at all. On the rare occasion you're talking to someone who is seemingly physically capable or who is maybe branding his military career achievement on the wall, maybe you can bring it up.
    A lot of guys don't want to be threatened for sure not physically but also from a career stand point so you have to come off or put on an appearance and act that caters to that sheepish motherfucker.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
    edited March 20
    Removing it off my primary resume since I've recently made different copies. I thought of it as sophomoric at first, but I never thought it would make me come off as potentially violent. Me being a giant black man definitely doesn't help either. I primarily listed my competition under my art and dance experience/extracurricular segment on my resume. Thank you for the input.
    If you worked for your instructor I'd use them as a reference. If they're just a personal reference, personal references in general hold fairly little weight. Anyone can hit up a teacher they like or coach or Mum's best friend to get a glowing review. Employers tend to focus a lot more on references from places you've worked at and in that case I'd definitely include an instructor if you taught at his school.
    Nah, I'm a club member at the university. Student black belts do instruct classes though.

Depends on what black belt. Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan are whatever. Yondan is when they start to get more respect. From Godan on up, yeah those are the ones that are like Lieutenant Colonels (LTC) and above.

Shodan - 2LT
    Nidan - 1LT
    Sandan - CPT
    Yondan - MAJ
    Godan - LTC
    Rokudan - COL
    Shichidan - BG
    Hachidan - MG
    Kudan - LTG
    Judan - GEN

people dont understand the difference in degrees. black belt is a black belt for the mainstream populace.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    edited March 21
    something im working on in bjj
    So this is an idea I've been playing with. Kinda like a faux berimbolo for people who suck at inverting. I'm not sure if a stronger version of this exists since I've never seen it before. If it does or has a name let me know. Just trying to learn and get better. Generally I do this from a grip fighting position to open up the back. No need to muscle through as long as you lift with the threaded leg and pull on the arm. Work in progress .
    http://instagram.fphl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/17411347_934539426649513_6668077370039074816_n.mp4

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • Mangy_CatMangy_Cat Chop Suey! Joined: Posts: 594
    edited March 21
    I remember when we were aged 10 our school had a compulsory martial arts class that everyone had to take. My best friend then complained to the teacher that he didn't want to take the class and he was punished and made to stand similar to this position but on flat cemented floor. The class become optional a couple of months later and me and my friend pulled out. Haven't tried any martial arts since then.
    1308587652.jpg
    Post edited by Mangy_Cat on
    "Having big tits because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's falling off a cliff." - Showerthoughts
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,979
    edited March 21
    There were also a few cases where talking about martial arts also didn't pan out for me on a few occasions when going out with girls. I don't think they thought it was weird but more so alien and even more so that they couldn't relate to it. 8/10 should've talked about Sex in the City or House of Card except... fuck that, I'd rather kick the bag and shout oyyyyy or roll and make heavy eye contact with another guy on the ground.

My currenty GF soon to be next level almost didn't date me because I told her I used to be a boxer and she thought I was overly violent lol.

Shodan - 2LT
    Nidan - 1LT
    Sandan - CPT
    Yondan - MAJ
    Godan - LTC
    Rokudan - COL
    Shichidan - BG
    Hachidan - MG
    Kudan - LTG
    Judan - GEN

Its interesting that some sports call it Nanadan rather than Shichidan. Like Kendo is Nana but Judo is shichi.
    Also most martial arts do not have a Judan anymore.
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    Funny because you say that because my fiance has never exactly found it cool. Kind of discourages me from it due to the danger and not wanting me to get hurt
    Wifey knew i loved mma and encouraged me to train 7 years ago

I got her into judo and muay thai because i sold her on the self defense and workout factor

Her leg kicks are fucking brutal

Her hands are actually pretty damn good.

I still bought her oc spray and a rape whistle though
    Where I live there hasn't been a recorded rape in my memory. It's incredibly safe. Worst thing that happens in this town is a husband punches his wife. Whenever anyone gets caught doing anything​ it makes the paper. Like everytime a place gets robbed which isn't often it's in the paper.
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,979
    dab00g wrote: »
    Wifey knew i loved mma and encouraged me to train 7 years ago

I got her into judo and muay thai because i sold her on the self defense and workout factor

Her leg kicks are fucking brutal

Her hands are actually pretty damn good.

I still bought her oc spray and a rape whistle though

I got my girl into boxing now too. She's doing her own classes like spin, yoga or dance during my Kendo days but we work out together with my cross training crew during my off days of Kendo. I've got her into some pretty intense cross training workouts plus shes getting legit at boxing and is understanding the appeal now. She even comes to watch the fights these days. So im really happy with that. I dont think we're working any boxing for self defense. Just for workout sake. Shes less than 120 pounds and she can toss pretty well but I really wouldn't want her relying on that as a form of 'self-defense'.

The other great thing about me doing Kendo 4+ nights a week is that as a Japanese girl she understands the life of most Kendoka who are serious about sports. So she supports me even though we're both super busy. She might even join eventually which would be sick since she actually loves Kendo. She knows that real japanese Kendoka practice 2x a day 5 days a week and then the weekends are for tournaments, so 4 days a week 1x a day really isnt THAT bad. I'm excited for when she starts. It would be awesome for us to both play together.

Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    Meh

Maybe because this is la and there are so many dbags in soCal but i like knowing wifey can legit beat up people

That is a turn on for me
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 24
    The fuck!!! I was going to post that Aikido video yesterday. LMAO!!!!
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
  • Core SeriesCore Series My work is done here. Joined: Posts: 614
    edited June 24
    This message has been deleted.
    Post edited by Core Series on
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,637
    I don't know if you guys are familiar with Master Ken, but he has one heck of a show, mocking martial arts.

I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. Also, worth checking his bullshit series - if you want to know why muay thai is bullshit B)

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,129
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Calling muay thai bullshit

Then you practice no contact karate

Also calls boxing bullshit

You need a good jab jab cross and one liver blow
    Ki Shima wrote: »

this guy doesnt know shit lol. he backtracked like 5 times within 5 min.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog: