Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,038
    edited January 24
    Pretty much if you want to learn how to fight. Go to a good gym.
    Um where are you from? How do you "know" boxing?

Just do mma classes and go to pros day. Way more applicable and you get put into scenarios. Off the cage, drills from shots. Fighting from the ground.

If you don't mind getting tossed and taken down. By guys 50 lbs lighter than you and don't mind getting ego checked.

By doing mma class, you will then reallize that you need to do wrestling, bjj, muay thai, boxing, oh and wrestling. Lots and lots of wrestling. Not just freestyle, but folk, catch, collegiate, greco, and yes even sumo.
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,358
    dab00g wrote: »

Just do mma classes and go to pros day. Way more applicable and you get put into scenarios. Off the cage, drills from shots. Fighting from the ground.

If you don't mind getting tossed and taken down. By guys 50 lbs lighter than you and don't mind getting ego checked.

By doing mma class, you will then reallize that you need to do wrestling, bjj, muay thai, boxing, oh and wrestling. Lots and lots of wrestling. Not just freestyle, but folk, catch, collegiate, greco, and yes even sumo.

Im from Chicago and boxed for 5 years. Made it to a level where I could spar, but I never competed though. I'm confident in it as far as self defense is concerned.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Biolink wrote: »

Im from Chicago and boxed for 5 years. Made it to a level where I could spar, but I never competed though. I'm confident in it as far as self defense is concerned.

wait....how long did it take you to get to sparring?
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I heard someone wants to get somebody to teach their sister the art of groping?

Where do I sign up?
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    edited January 24
    maxx wrote: »

Ley him go to any mma gym in chicago. They got good gyms there. So...
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 2,046
    As someone who grew up in a boxing gym and helped run one... if you boxed for 5 years you should be pretttttty good if you survived and were sparring regularly for 5 years.

Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,358

Started sparring about a year and a half in. I just stuck with working on technique and and a bit of sparring every week to stay sharp. I never got up to competing because I didn't have the time or motivation.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    Combat sambo? Gi sambo? Nogi sambo?

Great grappling matches up well with judo and greco

Not many schools teach it, but the techniques are applicable anywhere

Combat sambo is basically russian pankration

Combat sambo. Aiming to put people out of commission if I have to. I already know boxing so I think I want to add a grappling martial art.

Umm. Do mma classes.

Or be like the guy doing non-contact karate and wing chun

Honestly if you want to beat ass, just go train at any good mma gym. Chicago has some good teams.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,362
    This discussion actually is funny. You should be way beyond talking about styles and instead talking about particular gyms and why they are ahead of the game
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Started sparring about a year and a half in. I just stuck with working on technique and and a bit of sparring every week to stay sharp. I never got up to competing because I didn't have the time or motivation.

Yikes. That's a long time to go without sparring but hey to each their own. Competing isn't nessisary, just the wording made it seem like you didn't spar for a long ass time.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,577
    That is a long ass time. Most dudes have at least a couple of amateur fights under their belt after a year.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    edited January 25
    I actually train at csw, millennia mma, and with the guys at checkmat.

Not to mention i go down to san diego and go to alliance because my cousin works there.

But hey, let me guess your wing chun has won you what?

Like honestly dude. We could all just be bullshitting here. But you were the one who said wing chun is the best self defense system.

And no i don't wear tapout. Nobody wears tapout except fat mexicans and white people about 10 years ago.

I can get you a guest pass for csw if you are ever in california and want to do the pros class.

But hey, i mean you are such a wise sage. I bet i could hook you up with btier i am sure his style is more up your alley.

Ki shima is that guy who claimed he was in k-1 right?
    Eldergod gets into at least 3 fights a day just trying to catch the train. He has single handedly cleaned up New Yorks subways and isn't afraid to eat turkey from a trashcan.
    Mains:
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
  • ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 9,800
    edited January 25
    You are a weak individual trapped in your small world.

I don't expect someone with your limited experience to be able to understand that there are more options than only what you do and what you know.

This is actually not just you, many people, especially those that are into boxing, bjj, judo, wrestling, and the like are confined in their little world.

I would put down money on my student against you, but let me guess, if a knife for example would be allowed or other things that MMA does not you wouldn't know what to do, would you, since you live in your own small world with a myriad of restrictions and only want everyone to do things your way.

Real life is not a hobby/sport like your MMA and you need to grow up and learn that you won't have everything your way. Just like you crying in the politics thread didn't stop Trump from getting elected and your pointless rants there are not going to do anything positive for you either.

I appreciate the sage compliment, though it would have more meaning coming from someone who is intelligent. I don't intend wasting time to teach you, I'm sure real life will eventually be able to do that on its own.
    This dude could be trying to lick a snow cone and Trumps dick would fall out of his mouth. My goodness.
    Mains:
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Here is a brief summary of the ElderGod - dab00g argument....

7b21774f602d5a5db5e3304c2afc92c6.gif
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    Gimpy wrote: »
    Here is a brief summary of the ElderGod - dab00g argument....

That comment...
    A true martial artist, he bowed on the way down.
    Mains:
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I know some of y'all heard about Idris doing this.

C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    Well he fucked lucy liu and probably gets lots of good ass

Him doing some kickboxing is crazy considering he is getting work and he is not on some downfall like mickey rourke
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,261
    Just because you train within a certain rule set, it doesn't mean you could not defend yourself without it. Fighting, just like anything else, comes down to experience/know how.

BJJ is the next martial art that is going to be placed in the TMA category. MMA has blown up enough to where TMA gyms/schools have to acknowledge it. It is easier than ever to actually test your skills in the local scene. Instructors can no longer rely on ridiculous ass hypothetical scenarios to explain how a technique could work. Even when I was doing Kenpo as a kid, our instructor went out of his way to introduce what he called "ground fighting" techniques. Our sparring looked more like boxing rounds.

MMA is imperfect, but so far it has been good at showing us effective technique. We aren't going to see fights to the death anytime soon on PPV. For now, it is the best thing we have since blood sport lol.

edited January 25
    Oh he has a school and students now? My god lol

You want to end people? Get a concealed carry permit or become a cop

Or join the military they will teach many ways to kill somebody
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,303
    Even when I was doing Kenpo as a kid, our instructor went out of his way to introduce what he called "ground fighting" techniques. Our sparring looked more like boxing rounds.

That's because Kenpo is mostly hands, and hand fighting always looks like boxing in practice.

I mean, people get taught any kind of front hand punch, a rear hand punch, some kind of uppercut, and expect it to look unique?
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,261
    Wasted wrote: »
    Even when I was doing Kenpo as a kid, our instructor went out of his way to introduce what he called "ground fighting" techniques. Our sparring looked more like boxing rounds.

That's because Kenpo is mostly hands, and hand fighting always looks like boxing in practice.

I mean, people get taught any kind of front hand punch, a rear hand punch, some kind of uppercut, and expect it to look unique?

Yeah that is my point. You come at anyone at my gym (MMA) with circular hand motions during sparring you will get clapped. The general rules of MMA make everyone fight in the most effective way possible...usually.

What circular hand motions?

edited January 25

Many of the Kung Fu blocks that I learned were the circular, sweeping hand motion(think water) into side hammer first. Even in Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Lee uses some of them. They're very contrary to the other very straight block strikes you see in Wing Chun.

PSN - TojiSake

Many of the Kung Fu blocks that I learned were the circular, sweeping hand motion(think water) into side hammer first. Even in Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Lee uses some of them. They're very contrary to the other very straight block strikes you see in Wing Chun.

jeet kune do changed every week while bruce was around. jeet kune do has still been evolving since then.

if you're talking about Jun Fan jkd then yeah that's pretty much accepted to be kept traditional but that type of fighting is for bare fisted street fighting/fencing

the concepts type has just become a philosophy that keeps in mind the reality of fighting, research of martial arts while adhering to the individuals personal attributes.

I mean Conor Mcgregor comes from Straight Blast Gym which started from JKD lineage, the dude even quotes bruce lee. so I don't know why some of you second guess JKD
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    Gonna need examples, since I do a lot of circular movements in Choy Lay Fut.

But like this, though?

It's called poon kiu in some Southern styles. It's just a parry. Smashing blocks are mostly a Japanese kind of thing, and they're stupid.

edited January 25
    I think they're talking about circular parry for punches. which is insane

JKD was about ultimate efficiency, if you saw any circular punching parries from bruce lee it must have been in one of his early movies :rofl: (which wanted to promote chinese tradition)

Ray Kurzweil
    Conor has used the inside parry a bit, but I get what you're saying, yeah. Even though you can easily get your arm to connect, the punch isn't going to be out there long enough. Slip, get off line, or just nudge the punch off target with your lead arm.

A lot of those circular motions are also used to just knock the guard away rather than parry something, similar to how you see some people pull their opponent in by hooking onto the elbow.

edited January 25
    Conor has used the inside parry a bit, but I get what you're saying, yeah. Even though you can easily get your arm to connect, the punch isn't going to be out there long enough. Slip, get off line, or just nudge the punch off target with your lead arm.

A lot of those circular motions are also used to just knock the guard away rather than parry something, similar to how you see some people pull their opponent in by hooking onto the elbow.

To be fair, that is a very common boxing tool. I don't know what we're attributing that technique to. Personally thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking a lot more about those traditional punch and kick parry's with open hand circular motion.
    PSN - TojiSake
    edited January 25
    It's a common tool in most striking arts. I'm not attributing it to anything.

Again, define "traditional punch and kick parries". I train a lot circular moves, so I actually don't know which kind of moves you're referring to.

Like, do you have a YT clip of someone practicing them?

Smashing blocks? Are you talking about strikes to the arms? Shit those are hilarious.
    Mains:
    Yeah, your typical "use your block as a strike" kinda thing. That's the whole point of many blocks in Karate or Taekwon-Do. Teaching people to smash away front kicks with their lower forearm and shit. Better yet the retards who tell you to block roundhouses that way.

That kind of shit worked back when people wore armor and moved kinda slow, and TKD just took it from Karate without really thinking things through.

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,155
    Oh he has a school and students now? My god lol

You want to end people? Get a concealed carry permit or become a cop

Or join the military they will teach many ways to kill somebody

Why do you think I have a good chance at winning UFC matches and such just like Tim Kennedy and such
    Lol yeah you shouldn't be trying to use that kind of shit on axe kicks, fuck around and get your whole faced caved in.
    Mains:
    edited January 26
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Lol yeah you shouldn't be trying to use that kind of shit on axe kicks, fuck around and get your whole faced caved in.

Axe kicks in themselves are pretty stupid.
    PSN - TojiSake
    Depends on your entry with the axe kick really. I mean we've seen crescent kicks ko people
    edited January 26
    Meh, just because there is a few outliers doesn't mean is a particularly good tool. Anything with proper entry and application can be successful but that doesn't make it overly practical. I dunno, I was just never fond of it and I'm bias.
    PSN - TojiSake