Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,257
    Yes I'm sure, but I didn't see anyone around that immediately recognised him but he was with his wife.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,207
    I get these weird head fog, slight headaches when I get clipped in the head while sparring Muay Thai. I speaking to my coach today and maybe I picked the wrong sport. I was telling him maybe we could do more technical sparring, with more emphasis on speed and mobility.

Sparring doesn't seem to be a problem with intermediate and high level folks but every once in a blue moon, some green grass will think this is a fight and I have to hammer them but fuck does my head hurt.

I have no idea, but I want to keep training and I want to have my cake and eat it too.

work on technical sparring. practice slipping with punches at close range, work on your rear foot stepping game, keep your hands up but ALIVE ready to be firm at the right moment. if you get hit a lot you're probably not doing these enough also you're probably not pulling back your limbs to a stable position fast enough. you need to maintain stability AT ALL TIMES. you might want to rest at times but you should only rest while in clinch range or out of kicking range
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,600
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    I get these weird head fog, slight headaches when I get clipped in the head while sparring Muay Thai. I speaking to my coach today and maybe I picked the wrong sport. I was telling him maybe we could do more technical sparring, with more emphasis on speed and mobility.

Sparring doesn't seem to be a problem with intermediate and high level folks but every once in a blue moon, some green grass will think this is a fight and I have to hammer them but fuck does my head hurt.

I have no idea, but I want to keep training and I want to have my cake and eat it too.

work on technical sparring. practice slipping with punches at close range, work on your rear foot stepping game, keep your hands up but ALIVE ready to be firm at the right moment. if you get hit a lot you're probably not doing these enough also you're probably not pulling back your limbs to a stable position fast enough. you need to maintain stability AT ALL TIMES. you might want to rest at times but you should only rest while in clinch range or out of kicking range

For sure, I need to work on those things, 100%.

My issue with my gym is that there is no technical sparring. Two dudes say "let's go light" and end up duking it out. There are also a lot of new guys in the gym branch located in the suburb, but I don't want to start blaming other people even if they're super green, because blaming other people is super weak sauce. I still think it's a factor, I mean, after my first sparring session, I overheard this dude said he caught a kick with his temple and swept the dude. WTF, he caught a kick with his temple. The other dude was just being nice and just tapped his head, but his partner thought he developed some badass sweep.

I feel like gyms in the western world, everything has to be a fight. You go so hard, by the time you reach the ring, whether for a smoker or an amateur fight, you're half dead. What's the point? If I roll with someone, and I just rip their ACL, it doesn't make me more of a man.

My last concussion happened in a drill, wtf. For sure I should have done a better job, but that's why you train and drill to get better. I could have done the same and elbowed him in the temple in the numerous times I had him clinched.

The concussions come too easy and I think I took too much damage when I was a teenager. I used to spar hard all the time and I got really good too; but honestly I think there was a much more intelligent approach.

tl;dr
    I think I should stick to cardio Muay Thai. For sure, I need to get better either way. I need explore more, meet more people, and learn more. My travel trip I want to take is to Thailand. How do those guy do it? I mean, I kinda know already but I want to see it with my own eyes.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.

For sure, I need to work on those things, 100%.

My issue with my gym is that there is no technical sparring. Two dudes say "let's go light" and end up duking it out. There are also a lot of new guys in the gym branch located in the suburb, but I don't want to start blaming other people even if they're super green, because blaming other people is super weak sauce. I still think it's a factor, I mean, after my first sparring session, I overheard this dude said he caught a kick with his temple and swept the dude. WTF, he caught a kick with his temple. The other dude was just being nice and just tapped his head, but his partner thought he developed some badass sweep.

I feel like gyms in the western world, everything has to be a fight. You go so hard, by the time you reach the ring, whether for a smoker or an amateur fight, you're half dead. What's the point? If I roll with someone, and I just rip their ACL, it doesn't make me more of a man.

My last concussion happened in a drill, wtf. For sure I should have done a better job, but that's why you train and drill to get better. I could have done the same and elbowed him in the temple in the numerous times I had him clinched.

The concussions come too easy and I think I took too much damage when I was a teenager. I used to spar hard all the time and I got really good too; but honestly I think there was a much more intelligent approach.

tl;dr
    I think I should stick to cardio Muay Thai. For sure, I need to get better either way. I need explore more, meet more people, and learn more. My travel trip I want to take is to Thailand. How do those guy do it? I mean, I kinda know already but I want to see it with my own eyes.

concussion from a drill :wtf: :rofl:

just work on holding the pads like you're fighting, use footwork and time the combinations with calculated steady pad hands. you can develop timing and stability by holding the pads correctly, with good timing and stability.

when sparring focus on dictating the distance with low and medium teep, counter punch with a cross if they come in hard, make sure you're head is off the center line. return to stability as soon as possible, jabs don't always have to land, feint jabs to keep them busy upstairs while quickly throwing a cheeky hit below. but always keep your eyes fixed on theirs or on their face to hide intentions.

just do these things purposefully, and squeeze in any extra attacks when you want to test it out. btw make sure you have a steady control of range. usually, people start going harder when you move out of range too far or move too erratically
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
    I wasn't holding pads lol. Coach wanted us timing and range by touching each other shoulders. Kid comes out of nowhere and swings for the fences.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I gotta work on it.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • EmanuelbEmanuelb Joined: Posts: 3,258
    So I had my first exam in Karate and now I'm the proud owner of a yellow belt B) . I also bought a karate gi, boy does it feel cool. Another guy had the exam for the black belt - he had to do kumite (free sparring) including against multiple opponents with real blows, with light contact to the face.
    Sensei told us that he is not allowing free sparring untill we reach at least the green belt.

Since summer has come, we are now training in the woods, near a lake. It's beautiful, we are running barefoot through the woods, fun stuff.

I'm getting decent with my roundhouse kick, now I'm working on improving my side kick.

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have judged so many fucking underbelts this weekend. Someone kill me. If one more parent with a shitty kid asks me what was wrong with their kids form imma cry. How about your kid stop staring at gih damn kamas like they contain the secrets if the universe in a form.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • CrystalCoreCrystalCore Joined: Posts: 465
    Emanuelb wrote: »
    So I had my first exam in Karate and now I'm the proud owner of a yellow belt B) . I also bought a karate gi, boy does it feel cool. Another guy had the exam for the black belt - he had to do kumite (free sparring) including against multiple opponents with real blows, with light contact to the face.
    Sensei told us that he is not allowing free sparring untill we reach at least the green belt.

Since summer has come, we are now training in the woods, near a lake. It's beautiful, we are running barefoot through the woods, fun stuff.

I'm getting decent with my roundhouse kick, now I'm working on improving my side kick.

Can you do Hadoukens yet? [/joking]
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,229
    lame story bro
  • MIRACLEARROWMIRACLEARROW Kendoka Joined: Posts: 1,989
    edited June 6
    I passed my written portion of my black belt exam. I now have to learn receiving and attacking for 5 kata sequences. And then the easiest part for me is the fighting. I get to have two matches with the people who are also going for their black belts. I feel bad for whoever has to go with me. I usually smash people even remotely close to my division. I just have to decide if I want to be nice and make them look good or not. Depends on what they say to me before our matches lol. I am usually a nice guy
    Post edited by MIRACLEARROW on
    Check Out my Evil Ryu Combo/Mixup Video!!
    2012 Main: Evil Ryu and Ryu
    Retired: Guile - *Shades*, Makoto
    PSN - TojiSake
    Sweep the leg
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Tekno Virus son, if you're getting concussed on the reg, you should probably hand it up. No hobby is worth scrambling your brain.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    That's the plan. Sparred meathead style too many times as a teenager. The last concussion came too easy and felt different. Felt like I was watching life through a CRT TV in a dark room. Felt like I wasn't there. It also felt dark and bad in a unsettling way.

So yeah, sticking to cardio from now on.

In other news, I picked up yoga recently. Feels amazing. Most guys at my gym can't move freely. They can't really engage 100% of their hips when throwing kicks for example. To me it's like wringing out a wet towel, the water doesn't really come out unless you get that last lb-in, in the hip rotation.

I always did yoga from Youtube or whatever class was available at the gym, but this time I went to some studio with high quality instructors. The very small nuances make such a big difference.

I would 10/10 recommend seeking learning from passionate high level yogis, to everyone in this thread.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,794
    TKD got my hips in working order just fine :tup:
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    You are an idiot if you don't set parameters with sparring

No head shots is pretty much rule one for me

I don't care taking body shots, but i still have my hands up because some people are shit heads

And i get enough head trama from rolling

The weakness of a lot of grappling gyms is not starting on the feet. Start standing all the damn time or else you won't ever improve
    edited June 6
    No contact sparring is dumb as shit and your technique does not improve without sparring.

That is not the same as eating full on blows to your head. Which i am against

I could never imagine sparring without getting hit.

I also do not advocate for trying to kill each other when sparring. Also wear a mouthpiece and headgear if you are going to throw punches to the head.

I am not advocating for trying to knock people out

I am advocating for non bitchassness

And as far as self defense no contact sparring is as usefull in a fight as tae bo

You said boxing was useless and karate was better
    Fuck you

You said you were afraid of getting hit and exerting too much

Weak
    Headgear and mouthpieces are mandatory at my school, even though we don't allow head contact.

You can put shots up around the head, but just not hit. This is especially important in a style that uses a lot of backhands, clotheslines and overhands like mine.

@wasted They think we advocated full contact sparring lol

Even though we differ politically some ways you are pretty much cool
    dab00g wrote: »
    No contact sparring is dumb as shit and your technique does not improve without sparring.

Fuck you

You said you were afraid of getting hit

We do make contact in sparring, just not to the face and not full power. And I never said boxing was useless and karate was better but whatever. And yes, I'm afraid of getting hit, which is absolutelly normal. It's a basic human instinct to avoid getting hit/injured - if you're not afraid something's wrong. The whole point of learning a self defence martial art is to avoid getting hit/injured.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,700
    edited June 7

Fuck you

We do make contact in sparring, just not to the face and not full power. And I never said boxing was useless and karate was better but whatever.

I actually think boxing is very overated as a martial art. If you consider self defence/ street fight, I believe boxing is one of the worse MA you could learn. It has only one big quality: it is very easy to learn.

IyzltcT.gif
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Fuck you

We do make contact in sparring, just not to the face and not full power. And I never said boxing was useless and karate was better but whatever.

I actually think boxing is very overated as a martial art. If you consider self defence/ street fight, I believe boxing is one of the worse MA you could learn. It has only one big quality: it is very easy to learn.

IyzltcT.gif

wtf did i read?
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    boxing isn't useful on the street? :confused:

maybe if you're not skilled enough to judge distance and don't have high quality head movement you shouldn't be sparring full contact. if you're not doing karate then you'll just develop bad habits

Ray Kurzweil
  • WeeabooWeeaboo The Dream is dead. . . Joined: Posts: 1,355
    Haha he got fucking exposed :D
    edited June 8

Fuck you

IyzltcT.gif

...and where did I say is useless ? Last time I checked, overated does not mean useless.

Post edited by Emanuelb on

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,700

Fuck you

IyzltcT.gif

...and where did I say is useless ? Last time I checked, overated does not mean useless.

You say this in a world where Yellow bamboo is a thing.

FYI you don't have to use a word literally to mean it.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Considering boxing is probably the most internationally trained (and used) martial art in the world, calling it overrated is dumb af.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    FYI you don't have to use a word literally to mean it.

I don't believe any martial art is useless. Just because I think there are better options to boxing doesn't mean boxing is useless.

In a street fight boxing fundamentals could actually work against you. But the likeliness that someone who knows what they're doing, to nullify western boxing, is going to start a fight with you on the street is slim as fuck.

Not many people of the sports culture understand the differences between western boxing and street fighting so you will always be questioned.

Its not overrated at all though, none of these arts are overrated.

Ray Kurzweil
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,504
    Boxing is considered to be very practical yet versatile given that you're more likely to fight with your hands than your feet, and adding to that the techniques learned from it can be incorporated in other styles.

In other news, I recently acquired my blue belt (Tae Kwon Do), meaning as I'll be testing for my brown belt soon I have to start improving my wheel kicks and becoming more confident when I test. I do want to get back into sparring, but I really to improve my cardio and to be honest as a martial artist I do feel unimpressive. I wonder at times how I even managed to reach the higher spectrum of things.
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    Dramatix wrote: »
    Boxing is considered to be very practical yet versatile given that you're more likely to fight with your hands than your feet, and adding to that the techniques learned from it can be incorporated in other styles.

In other news, I recently acquired my blue belt (Tae Kwon Do), meaning as I'll be testing for my brown belt soon I have to start improving my wheel kicks and becoming more confident when I test. I do want to get back into sparring, but I really to improve my cardio and to be honest as a martial artist I do feel unimpressive. I wonder at times how I even managed to reach the higher spectrum of things.

Show me a video of yourself doing shadow boxing

Ray Kurzweil
    In a street fight boxing fundamentals could actually work against you. But the likeliness that someone who knows what they're doing, to nullify western boxing, is going to start a fight with you on the street is slim as fuck.

Not many people of the sports culture understand the differences between western boxing and street fighting so you will always be questioned.

Its not overrated at all though, none of these arts are overrated.

I actually conceded earlier that I rushed with my judgement in that post. But daboog just loves to bring it up all the time. I guess I will have to train some wrestling to apease him =) (which I might actually do some day. the ground fight is a weakness in karate)

If you are afraid of contact, working out, and feeling pain

Grappling is not for your soft ass
  • DramatixDramatix Could be better. Joined: Posts: 4,504

Wait, why?
    "Everyone in here has had someone who tried to convince them that they were sexually harassed, and you did not believe them because they were not cute."
    Things like a boxing clinch or trying to cover up without boxing gloves are more harmful than helpful, but much of boxing is pretty darn translatable.

edited June 9
    Silat is pretty much what bare handed fighting is

I would never put a guy in a choke when in a fight. But then i would never try to choke them out.

That fat guy who killed a drunk mexican are being charged with murder.

http://cw39.com/2017/06/08/murder-charges-filed-against-harris-county-deputy-husband-in-beating-death-of-john-hernandez/

If you look at it fat guy has him stretched out full back control with a deep choke and dude goes out. And fat guy keeps choke on.

That is not heat of the moment or adrenaline if you roll you know when you have control. Dude could have just maintained back control and saddled up

But he chose to suffocate drunk dude because

Two drunk noobs. Mexican guy is verbally tapping and fat guy won't let up choke

We got rednecks saying it's illegal to record trying to block the murder occurring.

This is the shit we hate in bjj. Position over submission. Fat dude did not have to choke him
    What about his wife, the sheriff who just stood by and watched?

I don't get her charge, she tried cpr drunk guy when he became unresponsive

Like don't ever fight humans are fragile and you don't want to pick up charges

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,746
    Sweep the leg

It just dawned on me where this kid got this quote from after 30 years. In like 1987 some kid wanted to fight me and this other kid said sweep the leg.. I only half listened to him. After 30 years I know now from what movie he got that from...
    I don't get her charge, she tried cpr drunk guy when he became unresponsive

Like don't ever fight humans are fragile and you don't want to pick up charges

I think the outrage stems from the fact that she didn't stop him, when she should have seen a potentially lethal scenario right in front of her. She should have been the one restraining the dude, not her husband.

Like, I get her husband is a meathead, but she's the trained one, she should have known better.

• PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 253
    I have always wanted to take up something but just never knew what. Any practical martial art works really. I think taekwondo has been the most interesting to me as far as what I should try. I am highly interested in increasing leg flexibility to.
    The world needs more folk metal
    For those interested The Bruce Lee Foundation just uploaded some (mostly unseen) footage of a 27 year old Bruce Lee performing a martial arts demo at Long Beach Internationals in 1967.

Wait, why?

if I can see how your posture is, footwork, reaction timing, set ups, I could give you better advice. But you don't need to, just do more shadow boxing with a focus on situations you've been in during sparring. think how you can speed up your reaction, set up combinations and control of distance. if you find your rhythmic movement you should have a firm control of all these. Rhythm dictates your movement fluctuations, it's so important

Ray Kurzweil
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ran the warm up today and ruined everyone

Ran through every kind of warm up from shrimps, bear crawls, handwalk pushups, 50 hindu squats, 50 jumping jacks, 30 burpees, 30 hindu pushups, reverse shrimping, tumbling, break fals with a frame get ups and sprawls, not to mention the triangles, hip shifts, and tons of running and sprinting

It is fun ruining people who are "in shape"

The best part is running drills on empty.

I was thinking about this. If I'm going to a BJJ gym, I want to spend 95+% of my time learning technique or grappling. I can do stamina and strength on my own time. Shrimping and sprawls yes, but not the pull ups and stuff like that.
    I go easy when i see the middle aged

But when it's a bunch of 20-30 somethings i had to be a bastard.

Still though, lol.

But back to my point, which I think may be countered by this point:
    The best part is running drills on empty.
    Practicing while temporarily fatigued has benefits and should be done at least once a week, I would think.

I guess it's just a balance then. Dunno if there's anything more to say.
    I always use the warm up to do these goals:

Build conditioning
    Build strength
    Build muscle memory
    Build reflexes

It is geared towards building movement, balance, dexterity, explosiveness, and toughness

The drills we start with also go with this

Getting a bunch of dudes worked up, not beat up is the goal.

Like if you are dead at warm up how are you in a tournament 3 minutes deep with 7 to go. Are you going to have that breathing, and explosiveness in the next match? How about in the field? How are you going to last long enough to get out of there absorbing the least amount of damage?

Now the bridging, stretching, and other things i got from my tkd coaches? That is just torture that gives you that extra.

Neck and shoulder bridging. More bjj guys need this
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,746
    edited June 12
    For those interested The Bruce Lee Foundation just uploaded some (mostly unseen) footage of a 27 year old Bruce Lee performing a martial arts demo at Long Beach Internationals in 1967.

Greatest of all time right there. If he were still alive then he would be 77 today...
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I always use the warm up to do these goals:

Build conditioning
    Build strength
    Build muscle memory
    Build reflexes
    If I specifically have complaints, it could be under the conditioning and strength warm ups.

My argument is I can do that on my own time.

*shrug*