Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Do YOU do any Martial Arts?

Comments

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,506
    whoever can guess what Martial Art I follow will get a free copy of Fighters Destiny
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    whoever can guess what Martial Art I follow will get a free copy of Fighters Destiny

original or concepts?

My Sifu was invited by the Bruce Lee Foundation to do a demo at the Bruce Lee 70th Anniversary last year, he is 52 moves like he is still 20 - http://sixbeers.pixnet.net/album/video/165506897
  • RindoukanKarateManRindoukanKarateMan I like Karate Girls Joined: Posts: 504
    I dont do any martial arts i just get nude and oil up. Nobody ever wants to fight after that.
    3rd strike-Makoto dudley
    ssf4-Makoto,Dudley,Guy
    Blazeblue-Bang,Bang,Bang,Makoto
    tekken-Raven
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @fishjie: Sounds awesome! Looks like you're getting a well rounded education.

Turkish wrestling is pretty close to getting nude and oiling up... and they love doing it!

It doesn't look homo at all when two guys are grabbing each other's butts while covered in olive oil.

Depends what you want to get out of martial arts. i.e it would be more beneficial for a bouncer to learn Akido rather than Mauy Thai.

I highly disagree.
    A bouncer would get more benefit out of Muay Thai. I am thinking specifically of the clinch and up close fighting.

and on that regard, I suppose Eskrima would be a very fast way for a bouncer to become effective at handling drunken and angry idiots.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,939
    I was thinking more of the lines of controlling the individual and taking them outside, bouncers tend not to kick the shit out of people without good reason so that they don't get sued.
  • AlphaCatAlphaCat Joined: Posts: 106
    thats the last martial art i would try, just seems impractical. try judo its a lot more realistic and fun
    Just what is Judo?
    Are there any sites worth checking out?
    Judo and Aikido were developed at about the same time in Japan. The most important difference is the Judo creator decided it is very important to incorporate a sparring environment where upon people can safely compete. Safely meaning, can be expected to be relatively free of injuries besides bumps and bruises, as opposed to broken fingers, dislocated shoulders, and the more serious side effects of strikes, eg concussions. It has become an Olympic sport practice world-wide, just to show it is pretty much universally accepted.

It is also meant to enrich your life. It makes you physically stronger and you should be able to handle yourself in a fight, but more than that it makes your mind and will stronger. Your mental body is something that can get pushed every day during free grappling training, where I think Aikido never pushed me anywhere near what Judo did. There is also the topical discussions that can occur during class, about any subject going on the world.

I think most people would agree Judo is a 'practical' martial art in that one learns how to fight, as opposed to Aikido or Tae Kwon Do. I would consider Judo to be 'less practical' when compared with the common training methods in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, Any Submission Wrestling, Muay Thai, and Eskrima, but only a little bit, and in fact little has to change to make it 'just as practical.' (or cross training by the individual)

What does one do in a normal Judo class? Where I went it goes like this:
    Warm ups and stretches.
    Break fall and more warmup exercises. (relatively quick)
    Free grappling, switching partners every 3 minutes or so.
    Then it diverges from there depending on what we're working on:
    1. Practice grappling techniques.
    2. Practice standing throw/submission techniques.
    3. Sparring practice under more or less standard Judo rules.
    4. Sparring practice minus grappling, eg free practice for throwing techniques.
    5. Sparring practice with only grappling.
    6. Conditioning/strength.
    7. Listen to the Master talk about something (he's an interesting guy).
    Almost always ends with more break falls and 'shuffle steps.'

At any point during training we focus on each other's bodies and how to feel it without thinking, such that our minds are free to think of strategies for our opponent.
  • ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%Flashkick Joined: Posts: 660
    Judo seems more practical simply because you're better able to practice it, as opposed to Aikido, in which you're trying to totally finish your opponent off.
    EVOLUTION 2013 9th Place Finisher - 40%Flashkick
    Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
    Twitter: @40Flashkick
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.fein.1?ref=tn_tnmn
    Judo seems more practical simply because you're better able to practice it, as opposed to Aikido, in which you're trying to totally finish your opponent off.

Don't make assumptions like this, especially when it comes to any martial art.

Judo isn't a pratical style if you want to fight, it means you have to make contact (grapple) with your opponent(s). It should be considered as part of one's arsenal.
    I'd say the difference is, in Aikido you NEVER do sparring, therefore you really never learn to fight, no matter how many techniques you learn.

Likewise, someone could say Judo is not as practical as [insert more practical martial art], and that could be true, and I wouldn't disagree.
  • lerp5555lerp5555 Awesome member Joined: Posts: 21
    jkd?
  • KYO84KYO84 Riddle Solver Joined: Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Judo isn't a pratical style if you want to fight, it means you have to make contact (grapple) with your opponent(s). It should be considered as part of one's arsenal.

lolwut? How is Judo not practical? An O Soto Gari vs someone that doesn't know how to fall would be devastating and like a lot of Judo throws it can be easily modified to work on a Gi-less opponent.
    "Better that we die on our feet than live on our knees!" Magneto
  • ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%Flashkick Joined: Posts: 660
    Judo is practical against enemies who can't fall properly. Only the best know how to do something that seems so simple.
    EVOLUTION 2013 9th Place Finisher - 40%Flashkick
    Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
    Twitter: @40Flashkick
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.fein.1?ref=tn_tnmn
  • KYO84KYO84 Riddle Solver Joined: Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How many people in a street fight environment know how to ukemi? bad enough you're being thrown on concrete opposed to tatami lol.
    "Better that we die on our feet than live on our knees!" Magneto
    Guys, even though I know how to fall, if I get thrown cleanly by a Judo throw on concrete, fucking ouch. I wouldn't be done, but I'd be slowed down at best, and I'd have to be lucky to escape the impending submission and beat down.

Also, lol at Judo not being practical. Internet warrior failure is nearing completion.
  • Da BoogeymanDa Boogeyman Joined: Posts: 2,292
    Aikido does not work dude. Muay thai would be great especially combined with grappling

A plum can be switched to a headlock really quick and you are dealing with drunk dudes so you throw them out

Becoming a bouncer should include watching roadhouse
    original or concepts?

My Sifu was invited by the Bruce Lee Foundation to do a demo at the Bruce Lee 70th Anniversary last year, he is 52 moves like he is still 20 - http://sixbeers.pixnet.net/album/video/165506897
    I was able to watch that now. I am not saying he wouldn't beat me to pulp, because I've never fought him, but I noticed some things, objectively speaking if I was planning on fighting him:
    He telegraphs many of his attacks. I can see his shoulders and/or body stiffen up before many of his attacks. Besides that I can see his whole body moving before the attack comes out, such as a punch, so I should be able to feel it coming before hand.
    My first instinct would be to try to get as close to him as possible. It seems he's training in striking attacks and I would want to attack him with grappling and/or wrestling type attacks. I would test that of course. But of course this is an unknown and I shouldn't be surprised if he's skilled.
    He looks like a fencer, if I were to get into a 'striking' battle I'd try patient lateral movement and in close fighting (think Eskrima).

Grain of salt, he's demonstrating... I've just never though it practical to rely on strikes when someone sneaks up on you with an amateur choke hold. What if the guy is almost twice my size?
  • hipmehipme Joined: Posts: 15
    There was a movie with the dude who is in East bound and down (red from pinapple express) etc
    that was a karate instructor
    Funny movie for sure
    yup, not bad movie.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    1st degree black belt in shotokan. Still can't DP, but I still try to follow Funakoshi's principles to this day.
    Uncle taught me boxing.
    took some Jeet Kun Do lessons while stationed in Sasebo Japan during my Navy Enlistment.
    friend in the Navy also showed me some basic stuff with wrestling.
    dabbled in Muay Thai.

Martial Arts are fun. It really shows you that it's not worth fighting out there when you find out just how dangerous the human body can be. But it's always good to know that you know when to defend yourself and that you CAN as well as wehn you need to defuse a situation and get outta there.
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
    Don't make assumptions like this, especially when it comes to any martial art.

Grappling is very practical martial art. Old school ufc pretty much proved it. Most bouncers grab a dude and throw them out.

Seriously dude practical could be a kick to the nuts.

Judo>>>>>fake ass aikido
    lolwut? How is Judo not practical? An O Soto Gari vs someone that doesn't know how to fall would be devastating and like a lot of Judo throws it can be easily modified to work on a Gi-less opponent.

lol maybe I should have been more clearer... I said you had to make contact with the opponent, grappling for me on the street is a no no that's why I said it should be part of ones arsenal. It goes without saying that keeping contact to a minimum (ie to box) is safer, quicker (in most cases) and energy saving, therefore more efficient.

As for Aikido vs Judo, my argument wasn't about which art could kick the most ass. I was looking at it purely from which one you could used to perform the job of a bouncer properly.

Being a bouncer doesn't not = old school UFC ground and pound the shit out of some guy that drank too much and got too frisky with a lady. But I will agree UFC has proven Judo fighter's can kick a lot of butt.

I was able to watch that now. I am not saying he wouldn't beat me to pulp, because I've never fought him, but I noticed some things, objectively speaking if I was planning on fighting him:
    He telegraphs many of his attacks. I can see his shoulders and/or body stiffen up before many of his attacks. Besides that I can see his whole body moving before the attack comes out, such as a punch, so I should be able to feel it coming before hand.
    My first instinct would be to try to get as close to him as possible. It seems he's training in striking attacks and I would want to attack him with grappling and/or wrestling type attacks. I would test that of course. But of course this is an unknown and I shouldn't be surprised if he's skilled.
    He looks like a fencer, if I were to get into a 'striking' battle I'd try patient lateral movement and in close fighting (think Eskrima).

Grain of salt, he's demonstrating... I've just never though it practical to rely on strikes when someone sneaks up on you with an amateur choke hold. What if the guy is almost twice my size?

Everybody telegraphs to some degree, far easier to notice watching it on video, hell I can watch Dempsey, Tyson and Ali fights and say the same thing. The demo is showing interceptions, only a few occasions will does he actually hold the opponent, this is the point I was making earlier about keeping contact to a minimum.

Good eye, one of the 3 corner stones of JKD is fencing. JKD use angles aswell, you will notice he intercepts then changes angle to follow up. Tommy teaches people all sorts or sizes and all sorts of experience, here he is with his wife, as with all demos there is always a lot one can speculate on.

Grappling is very practical martial art. Old school ufc pretty much proved it. Most bouncers grab a dude and throw them out.

Judo>>>>>fake ass aikido

lol@"fake ass akido", it's fake until you get your wrist broken. If you are going to talk about Judo you may as well talk about Ju Jitsu, since both Judo and Aikido come from it.

kick to the nuts=minimal contact
  • Windlord0Windlord0 Swordsman for hire Joined: Posts: 465
    This is the nonsense I expect every time a thread like this happens. It's why the MMA thread is nice because it automatically puts the topics in the realm of a MMA competition. This real world crap is meaningless, especially when you cite UFC as an example.
    Guys, even though I know how to fall, if I get thrown cleanly by a Judo throw on concrete, fucking ouch. I wouldn't be done, but I'd be slowed down at best, and I'd have to be lucky to escape the impending submission and beat down.

Also, lol at Judo not being practical. Internet warrior failure is nearing completion.

Judo is very practical? I have a gun and am standing about 25 feet away. Explain to me how practical judo training is? Unless there is a part of judo I am unaware of that teaches "take cover, draw sidearm"
    A knife is about the same thing. Weapon disarms are taught in various styles, but only in ones that are being taught for actual combat really spend time working on it. It can be done, but it isn't as easy as you would think. Regardless of the lock you put someone in, if they have the ability to pat you to signal submission, they have the ability to drive a sharp blade into that same area, several times. Submission is awesome, but not bleeding to death is even more awesome.

Judo>>>>>fake ass aikido

The things you say can be alright taken within the context of a sport.
    Realize that most people don't do martial arts to compete in an event, and most styles are just as useless in a situation where someone is actually trying to hurt you. I don't think it fair to demean a style just because it doesn't play nice within your sport.

The best situation is almost always to run away. If you want to fight someone, you are going to hurt them and then there are legal troubles. If your life is really threatened, then either run or kill them, and be prepared to deal with the consequences. Running is still the better idea, but there are times when it's impossible. If someone breaks into your home with a gun, well you can enjoy how useful you think judo is, and I will appreciate all the training and range time.

I am not attacking martial arts. They are great fun and exercise. I spent a good portion of my life doing sword work very seriously. I know it is silly and I will never end up "using" it, but I enjoy it. Attacking another martial art is a stupid thing to do, and it's even more stupid to do for a reason like "it's not practical" There are clearly martial arts that are strictly practical, and they are the ones being taught and used for combat (and yes some concepts (abstract or not) from other arts can ease the transition into that, but I don't think anyone want to sit and debate those things with me). Everything else is a bunch of silly arguments that don't need to happen.
    chances are I could kill you
    (av: Hizen Hirosada Katana)
  • omfgomfg Joined: Posts: 2,028
    This is the nonsense I expect every time a thread like this happens. It's why the MMA thread is nice because it automatically puts the topics in the realm of a MMA competition. This real world crap is meaningless, especially when you cite UFC as an example.

Judo is very practical? I have a gun and am standing about 25 feet away. Explain to me how practical judo training is? Unless there is a part of judo I am unaware of that teaches "take cover, draw sidearm"
    A knife is about the same thing. Weapon disarms are taught in various styles, but only in ones that are being taught for actual combat really spend time working on it. It can be done, but it isn't as easy as you would think. Regardless of the lock you put someone in, if they have the ability to pat you to signal submission, they have the ability to drive a sharp blade into that same area, several times. Submission is awesome, but not bleeding to death is even more awesome.

The things you say can be alright taken within the context of a sport.
    Realize that most people don't do martial arts to compete in an event, and most styles are just as useless in a situation where someone is actually trying to hurt you. I don't think it fair to demean a style just because it doesn't play nice within your sport.

The best situation is almost always to run away. If you want to fight someone, you are going to hurt them and then there are legal troubles. If your life is really threatened, then either run or kill them, and be prepared to deal with the consequences. Running is still the better idea, but there are times when it's impossible. If someone breaks into your home with a gun, well you can enjoy how useful you think judo is, and I will appreciate all the training and range time.

I am not attacking martial arts. They are great fun and exercise. I spent a good portion of my life doing sword work very seriously. I know it is silly and I will never end up "using" it, but I enjoy it. Attacking another martial art is a stupid thing to do, and it's even more stupid to do for a reason like "it's not practical" There are clearly martial arts that are strictly practical, and they are the ones being taught and used for combat (and yes some concepts (abstract or not) from other arts can ease the transition into that, but I don't think anyone want to sit and debate those things with me). Everything else is a bunch of silly arguments that don't need to happen.
    umm... too many things wrong with your post, I can't even tell if you're serious or trolling..

if they got a knife, here's a self defense system that'll help you. it's called parkour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhBwiXcpM94

if you're talking about straight up COMBAT where anything goes... then you might as well not even mention any martial art other than parkour I guess. it's the only one I know of that can help you defend and flee. cause soon as you jaw the shit outta one dude, like 5 others are gonna jump up and help him.. what you got then? and if you're cornered by legions of dudes way bigger than you armed with knives, pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, rocket launchers, tanks, planes, boats, nuclear submarines, etc. then in your next life I suggest you either upgrade your weaponry and your numbers or learn how to not piss people off

btw, problem with your "run away" argument: sometimes you can't. sometimes this nigga finds out where you live and he's in your room with his arms on you. sometimes you're in a corner. sometimes... this dude is a bitch and you don't want to be inconvenienced. it's my own personal principle to ignore the advice of anyone who gives one solution to a problem with many factors in it

reason most people learn martial arts is to defend themselves from a single person or a small group of people who have no idea how to fight properly. it's not to become the ultimate warrior. it's not to have an answer to every situation. it's to have an answer to most random bouts of violence, discourage it, and protect yourself and others. if you're dealing with people who CAN fight properly, pull out weapons, seriously want to hurt you, can outrun you, etc... then you're gonna need a lot more than a hand to hand system of fighting

edit: one last note on practicality. anyone on this planet can have you dead if they truly want you dead. and people, as long as we've been living, have been choosing every reason under the sun for killing others. that basically means someone here on SRK can have you dead because they don't like the way you type your Es. there's not a whole lot you can do to stop a truly determined person. so if you want to pull out a random gun situation, then I'll say the only practical way to defend yourself is to die
    see ya buddy

even if you die, I'll kill you... :badboy:
    <3 don't let life fool you. everything is black or white
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Alright, everyone go back to CoD and SF before things get out of hand.

• thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    it's obvious most of you clowns have never been in a fight since you got your ass kicked in 2nd grade, so just shut the fuck up about what is isn't practical. cops and militaries around the world don't learn judo and sambo techniques bcuz they're not practical.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    umm... too many things wrong with your post, I can't even tell if you're serious or trolling..

if they got a knife, here's a self defense system that'll help you. it's called parkour
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhBwiXcpM94

if you're talking about straight up COMBAT where anything goes... then you might as well not even mention any martial art other than parkour I guess. it's the only one I know of that can help you defend and flee. cause soon as you jaw the shit outta one dude, like 5 others are gonna jump up and help him.. what you got then? and if you're cornered by legions of dudes way bigger than you armed with knives, pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, rocket launchers, tanks, planes, boats, nuclear submarines, etc. then in your next life I suggest you either upgrade your weaponry and your numbers or learn how to not piss people off

btw, problem with your "run away" argument: sometimes you can't. sometimes this nigga finds out where you live and he's in your room with his arms on you. sometimes you're in a corner. sometimes... this dude is a bitch and you don't want to be inconvenienced. it's my own personal principle to ignore the advice of anyone who gives one solution to a problem with many factors in it

reason most people learn martial arts is to defend themselves from a single person or a small group of people who have no idea how to fight properly. it's not to become the ultimate warrior. it's not to have an answer to every situation. it's to have an answer to most random bouts of violence, discourage it, and protect yourself and others. if you're dealing with people who CAN fight properly, pull out weapons, seriously want to hurt you, can outrun you, etc... then you're gonna need a lot more than a hand to hand system of fighting

edit: one last note on practicality. anyone on this planet can have you dead if they truly want you dead. and people, as long as we've been living, have been choosing every reason under the sun for killing others. that basically means someone here on SRK can have you dead because they don't like the way you type your Es. there's not a whole lot you can do to stop a truly determined person. so if you want to pull out a random gun situation, then I'll say the only practical way to defend yourself is to die

It was partially trolling, partially serious. I couldn't be completely serious because of how silly things have gotten.

I agree that you can't always run, that's why I mentioned the exact scenario that you mentioned. If you are in the unfortunate situation where someone is in your home, or you have nowhere to run, then you have to fight, with more than just hand to hand. I said pretty much exactly the same thing as your second paragraph says. That you can't always run and then you have to resort to a weapon, like a gun. I thought that was clear that the best idea is often to run, but you can't always.

And most people learn martial arts because it's fun. The idea that you are learning a method of self defense is a real myth. Most times you aren't, and even the ones being touted as practical in this thread aren't preparing you for the reality of things. You give these valid scenarios in your first paragraph. You don't want to be in these scenarios. I do know these things. I have my concealed carry, I do carry, and attend training, and practice, and spend time at the range. It may seem really paranoid, as I probably don't need a lot of that knowledge, but it is also good physical and mental exercise, just like other martial arts. We are seriously saying a lot of the same stuff, so I'm not sure what points you found so wrong in my post. If you want to clarify I would be glad to discuss them.

As for the last idea, yeah any dedicated intelligent person can kill anyone. Go get a nice rifle, learn to use it well over a few months. Learn how to pick a field and track, and things needed for any successful game hunter. Then go sit and wait and if I go outside put a round through my chest from further away than I can see clearly. Most people aren't going to go do that. Most people who think they are dangerous and make their lives with violence don't actually train. They don't plan, or practice. Kicking down a random door with a shotgun will probably work most times, but it doesn't always, and it's a shitty situation for both parties when it doesn't. There is always the chance that some talented, intelligent, and well trained person will want to have me dead, and there is nothing I can do about it, but I can be prepared for dealing with the other 99% of the threats I am likely to face.
    it's obvious most of you clowns have never been in a fight since you got your ass kicked in 2nd grade, so just shut the fuck up about what is isn't practical. cops and militaries around the world don't learn judo and sambo techniques bcuz they're not practical.
    and here is another thoughtless argument I see popping up in reference to martial arts. "cops and military use it, that means it must be effective".

every organization around the globe has different goals. just cause one place is using it doesn't mean it's practical; just cause this place isn't using it doesn't mean it's not practical. when brazilian jiu jitsu sprang up out of nowhere, organizations all over have switched to it and started training in it. some ignored it. that should tell you the most important thing you need to know about practicality: no one knows everything

practicality has to do with whether or not the shit works. so I'd suggest looking at the roots of an art if you wanna know if it works or not

*snip*

alright, it sounded at first as if you didn't get the scope of the entire thing. you're only saying that they're not preparing you for actual fighting. that I'll whole-heartedly agree with. even taekwondo can be used in a serious ass fight, but you'd much rather learn bjj or be a solid block of muscle to maximize effectiveness
    see ya buddy

I mentioned this when I referenced that there were styles, designed for combat, that do deal with these things I was mentioning. Like you said, they are teaching some techniques from the styles, but they are not teaching the styles themselves. They have their own system, which is still evolving, that incorporates the good parts and ignores the other stuff, but I think you already know this.

I was simply saying that attacking some non combat art, from the perspective of another non combat art is a silly thing to be doing.
  • CStaticCStatic Was it something I said? Joined: Posts: 765
    Good eye, one of the 3 corner stones of JKD is fencing. JKD use angles aswell, you will notice he intercepts then changes angle to follow up. Tommy teaches people all sorts or sizes and all sorts of experience, here he is with his wife, as with all demos there is always a lot one can speculate on.
    That part was taken from Wing Chun where the purpose is to break your opponents centre.
    Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh of the afternoon. How did this suddenly go from martial arts to pulling out a gun on someone? Or do you think that everyone in the world walks around armed to the nines 24/7? If you think it's not practical to disarm a knife, then you know very little about how effective martial arts can be. I really hope you're trolling.
    Most martial arts are intended this way because not everyone on the planet knows how to fight beyond throwing their fists towards the opponent. The chances of you actually fighting another martial artist randomly on the street are very very slim indeed.
    "The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go".

GW2: Jane Woo - Sylvari Thief - The Unseen [UNSN] ~ Incinerator 04/12/12
    Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh of the afternoon. How did this suddenly go from martial arts to pulling out a gun on someone? Or do you think that everyone in the world walks around armed to the nines 24/7? If you think it's not practical to disarm a knife, then you know very little about how effective martial arts can be. I really hope you're trolling.
    in regards to that, you have to be close. and if you're not close, you have to counterattack and get close.. and you can't just grab the arm. there's methods of using a knife that make it really, really fucking hard to just disarm them. in fact, that battle's so hopeless without superior skill or a proper guard that some people just take their shirt, jacket, etc. off and wrap that around their arm to have some sort of a shield
    see ya buddy

in regards to that, you have to be close. and if you're not close, you have to counterattack and get close.. and you can't just grab the arm. there's methods of using a knife that make it really, really fucking hard to just disarm them. in fact, that battle's so hopeless without a proper guard that some people just take their shirt, jacket, etc. off and wrap that around their arm to have some sort of a shield
    You're too much relying on the idea that the person you are up against knows a number of different ways to use a weapon. You've got to be kidding if you think some punk on the street trains how to use his knife beyond threatening someone with it and shanking them if they don't hand over their wallet. Step out of action movie land for a minute will you? Some people do that? Who? Donnie Fucking Yen, where it's in the script and choreography?

Real life isn't fucking clan of the White Lotus where everyone marrauders around highly trained in weapons and death strike techniques. Live in the real world for 5 seconds.
    "The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go".

You're too much relying on the idea that the person you are up against knows a number of different ways to use a weapon. You've got to be kidding if you think some punk on the street trains how to use his knife beyond threatening someone with it and shanking them if they don't hand over their wallet. Step out of action movie land for a minute will you?

Real life isn't fucking clan of the White Lotus where everyone marrauders around highly trained in weapons and death strike techniques. Live in the real world for 5 seconds.
    I didn't mean fighting styles or anything, I meant simple technique. simple technique as in just a simple switch in how you do what you do, no skill required. some punk on the street might not know the best way to stab someone, but he could, for instance, know the proper way to keep his knife from you so that it's foolish to attempt a disarm unless he attacks. and if he's ever had a serious fight with a knife before, it's highly likely he'd know about that
    see ya buddy

I didn't mean fighting styles or anything, I meant simple technique. simple technique as in just a simple switch in how you do what you do, no skill required. some punk on the street might not know the best way to stab someone, but he could, for instance, know the proper way to keep his knife from you so that it's foolish to attempt a disarm unless he attacks
    Really? So he'll train how to keep his knife away from a martial artist then will he? I'm sure by that you mean he keeps it in his pocket and doesn't try and attack one then, because any attack takes the arm toward the victim and martial artists don't grab the hand or the weapon, it's the arm or wrist and most of the time it's not even a grab it's a redirection which is really fucking easy. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

The direct reply was trolling, that's why it was silly. It was in response to the idea that judo was a practical combat art above others.
    I also clearly said in my post that there are styles that teach disarming properly. I just don't think that they are common, and it isn't practiced as much as other things. How confident are you disarming a knife? What about if the knife is hidden before the fight starts? These are the things that, in my experience, take traditional martial artists by surprise. I also advocate that you not fight in that situation. The risk is too great. Also no I don't think the entire world is armed, but the bad part of it commonly is. It's why I say later, in the more serious part of my post, that it is better to avoid a fight, because it's not worth the risk. You may feel confident disarming if some idiot pulls a knife on you, but you have a much greater chance to end up dead than the man who talks or runs and has a proper response as a backup.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    and here is another thoughtless argument I see popping up in reference to martial arts. "cops and military use it, that means it must be effective".

practicality has to do with whether or not the shit works. so I'd suggest looking at the roots of an art if you wanna know if it works or not

lol throwing someone with force on pavement doesn't "work"? people who train to be efficient killers bothering to learn something isn't proof that it's effective? sometimes i forget that you're stupid.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    No seriously though fuck thid topic. It is surreal how many of you don't know shit.

People always bring up the what if a guy has a knife or a gun. If you ever find yourself in that situation you may have been in the wrong part of town.

Seriously. Damn it. Omfg thanks for opening your mind.

To the dumbasses in fantasy land. Eat a steak, do some squats, and reallise martial arts you learned are great for exercise, but for all purposes they are just that.

Do not go picking fights because you know aikido and think you are steven segal.

Just know there is always someone out there who can kick your ass

Seriously fuck this topic. Old school ufc was a pit fight, with low blows, throat throttles, and gouging. Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, and ken shamrock pretty much neutralized most strikers woth their wrestling. Bas rutten learned grappling in order to make sure he was strong in all areas.

Guys like tank abbot fell to guys who could wrestle
    Really? So he'll train how to keep his knife away from a martial artist then will he? I'm sure by that you mean he keeps it in his pocket and doesn't try and attack one then, because any attack takes the arm toward the victim and martial artists don't grab the hand or the weapon, it's the arm or wrist and most of the time it's not even a grab it's a redirection which is really fucking easy. Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
    hold the knife like this and the punk nerfs his own range. means he'll have to get close and connect to hurt you. and if he's close you can take it from him even if he doesn't attack
    http://www.jayfisher.com/_borders/KnifeGripRGEORing.jpg

hold it like this and the punk has more range and a faster strike. means that even if he misses he's not getting disarmed very easily. and unless he's extending his arm carelessly, that means you can't just take it from him. that is, UNLESS you're just superior to him (ex. he stabs from max range, to you it's slow like the matrix so you catch the arm, step in, and take it from him. Or... you don't even care if he attacks or not, you just rush in and knock him off balance, he falls, stomp on his hand so he lets go of the knife. or.. you let him stab you on purpose). I edited my post after you quoted it, so you didn't see that portion about superiority.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Knife_Grip.JPG/220px-Knife_Grip.JPG

this is just referring to the grip alone. there's lots of other helpful things you can pick up off the streets or whatever else that can help you. I'm not saying these techniques will defeat martial arts, but they do erase simple errors. the less errors an attacker has, the harder a martial artist's job is for him. in short, they make it so that it's not a cake walk. and unless it's a cake walk, there's the possibility of being stabbed.. and with the possibility of being stabbed comes the possibility of being killed

btw, I'm talking only about the way it's held.. not referring to the way the fingers align on the knife

lol throwing someone with force on pavement doesn't "work"? people who train to be efficient killers bothering to learn something isn't proof that it's effective? sometimes i forget that you're stupid.
    I tried like 500 times to write a response to you while staying within the own bounds of your stupid misunderstanding, but I couldn't do it

I'm saying:
    just because cops and the military use a martial art doesn't mean "the martial art works!!!!!oneoneone"
    just because cops and the military don't use it doesn't mean "the martial art doesn't work!!!!!oneoneone"
    there is no such thing as "a martial art that doesn't work". what the fuck does that even mean? you wanna knock a nigga out, they ALL work. for example, whether we're fighting in a dojo or on the streets, if someone fully connects a good 180 degree spin kick to your jaw you're fucked.. period. the issue is whether or not the art does its intended job easily
    there is a difference between learning a martial art for sport/hobby/etc. and learning one for combat. just because you know the sport version of a martial art doesn't mean you can't hurt someone or defend yourself. just because you know the combat version doesn't mean there will never be a better system of combat that suits your purposes.

what I didn't say:
    judo is ineffective and doesn't work
    cops and the military have no idea what they're doing
    bjj > judo

you want to know who train to be efficient killers? efficient killers. the military and the police are not "efficient killers"; they're the military and the police. they have a variety of different goals, all of which I'm pretty sure are NOT completely reliant on people being unarmed killing machines.
    see ya buddy

Multiple attackers

I love training this way, it really tests your technique. You can see here there no sign of any fancy techniques, contact is kept to a minimum, all that other stuff gets thrown out of the window. Boxing is the most efficient way to defend yourself unarmed IMO (anyone that does do martial arts for street defence needs to know ground fighting it's essential), doing nothing but Judo makes zero sense.

Any of you that practice the grappling arts post some clips of drills or fights with multiple opponents. I've heard BJJ is a grappling art that can be used on multiple opponents but I've yet to see it.

I don't know why there is so much hate of Aikido, the art has some great footwork which is key (again my opinion) when dealing with street fights.
    Everybody telegraphs to some degree, far easier to notice watching it on video, hell I can watch Dempsey, Tyson and Ali fights and say the same thing. The demo is showing interceptions, only a few occasions will does he actually hold the opponent, this is the point I was making earlier about keeping contact to a minimum.

Hey I should apologize for that, thanks for taking the high road. I was a bit drunk when I posted that.

I agree 'footwork' is key in any martial art sport/competition. Specifically where I trained Judo and Tae Kwon Do, everything starts with the foot work by using small adjustments to get a good target/advantage. Everything I've trained has a focus on foot work. I'm not seeing the specific advantage of Aikido in this area when compared with other submission wrestling type martial arts, mostly because they include a competitive sport aspect, where Aikido never trains for competition. (I suppose in this day and age, an Aikido school might not exist as often as someone who has trained Aikido AND [insert martial arts], where by they may create a competitive aspect to classes)

ps Krav Maga is bad ass.
  • MustachioMustachio Green Maid's Husbando Joined: Posts: 3,291
    I know it's not really a martial arts, but I do Capoeira as a sort of a sport in my free time. Beforehand I warm up with Tai Chi exercises and use it to work into stretches. Nothing too technical, just taking it easy like the easy going kind of guy I am.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file