Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown console thread

Comments

• BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,425
    We running after the game tonight?

Sent From Prison using JailTalk

Yessir......

But man, I didn't expect the series to even be that close......

I thought the heat had it in the bag at the beginning......

I'll probably switch back to somebody I was trying to learn in VF5 vanilla, Shun.......

He's way better in this one, I think he's top tier good.......

Everybody plays Jacky and I'm tired of mirror matches..... maybe I'll switch to Lau....

He has what I'm looking for in the offensive field too..... basic but hits hard......
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is it me or are some of the tutorial commands wrong? Or am I just misunderstanding the notation? Like one of Lau's moves is displayed as hold down, then tap back, forward, punch, but when you watch the movie, you actually press punch after the hold down, then again at the end

edit: nm got the while rising part...
  • DeltaKyakuDeltaKyaku terribad Joined: Posts: 704
    There's probably some lag there, but I'm feeling it less than like...AH3. Aside from a couple matches that started stuttering in one or two rounds (and this always seems to kill me more than the other guy for some reason) only time it really seemed like it was when a Shun Di would catch me with random full screen torpedoes. I've had stuff not come out other times but that might just be my timing being ass.

As far as spam there isn't a ton of moves that are really hardcore free combo unsafe on block. -8 is pretty typical for bad frame advantage, even -10s don't happen that often. I've seen -15 on hop kicks and lows but even that I can barely launch. You usually just get initiative so you can throw out a 14 or 15 frame mid or set up a mixup or frame trap.

If I know someone is just going to mash on dat 2P I can just 9P them for a free combo at any time with Eileen anyways. Seriously it beats 2P from -8 despite having 20 frame startup because it goes over them. I suspect it's hardly the only move like that, especially considering her 8K does the same thing but you can't do a combo off it unless they hit a wall.
  • KnapstarKnapstar Joined: Posts: 150
    It also beats a lot of standing punch attacks as well. Not as great as vanilla 1P but still great.

Sent From Prison using JailTalk

Van's 1P as far as I know beats all lows even low kicks and low sweeps too along with all normal punches. It is a great tool in her arsenal
    VF5- Pai,Vanessa, Lion
    SFxT- Chun/ Julia (main) Juri, Asuka, Jin (potential subs)
    SF4- Chun Li, No real subs yet
  • Coth_XCoth_X G(x) = (3/(1-3x)) - 3 - 3x - 27x^2 Joined: Posts: 4,340
    Is it me or are some of the tutorial commands wrong? Or am I just misunderstanding the notation? Like one of Lau's moves is displayed as hold down, then tap back, forward, punch, but when you watch the movie, you actually press punch after the hold down, then again at the end

edit: nm got the while rising part...

Some of those require the move before. I remember one being hold then do stuff, but you had to do the previous move first.

EDIT: just saw the edit nvm

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
    "The purpose of proof is to understand, not to verify." - Arnold Ross
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 <--- Coolest Game Ever!
  • CalcalCalcal Joined: Posts: 1,128
    Something tells me I shouldn't have learned how to play Goh when the last time I played VF was when 4 was new. And at the time I rented it. I'm really not use to throws not connecting if the opponent is doing anything like Tekken, or dealing with jab pressure from TornadoFlame.
    Pokemon FC: 2749 7678 1016
    Advance Wars: 433915-918661
    Av by BIGWORM
  • Za FuuruZa Fuuru Joined: Posts: 202
    I assume that's all the costumes, whichc is fine, wince it's basically a compatibility pack then, but then ive heard that you can only still see only the costumes that you have bought?
    This is probably one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in a fighting game. You download all the costumes (2 GB) but you can't see them.
  • sausagesausage Joined: Posts: 7
    Gentlemen, is this game a huge improvement from the Xbox 360 retail version? I'm not sure how often I would play online.

Thanks
    The only thing I can control is my EFFORT, ATTITUDE, and, FOCUS.
  • Sutter PainSutter Pain Joined: Posts: 58
    This is probably one of the most stupid things I've ever seen in a fighting game. You download all the costumes (2 GB) but you can't see them.

I agree with having to download the huge file size and not being able to see the ones you have not payed for. On the other hand I am happy I am not forced to look at people's stupid ass characters which makes me extremely happy.

If you bought all of them, then you can see them though right?
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,272
    So I played 20 so matches on Ranked the other day. I don't think I'll playing on Rank very often in this game. Lots of spammers and over dependance on the same set of moves. I feel I will develop bad habits if I continue playing there. I should stick to player matches like I always had.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • ZodiacZodiac My fists pack one million volts! Joined: Posts: 308
    What do the color flashes on hit mean again? I know yellow is counter hit, I've also seen blue and a red/orange.
  • stevestevensonstevestevenson Joined: Posts: 191
    blue is side-hit
  • RedVegaRedVega Joined: Posts: 861
    So would you guys say that the matchmaking is pretty quick? Like are there a lot of people online ATM? Might get this or Skullgirls tomorrow (but since SG seems kinda "dead" online, im thinking of spending my last 15 bucks on VF
  • soakratessoakrates that's US, dude! Joined: Posts: 355
    Matchmaking is usually really fast. This is one of the only games where I can actually stomach playing ranked matches.
  • Sutter PainSutter Pain Joined: Posts: 58
    So would you guys say that the matchmaking is pretty quick? Like are there a lot of people online ATM? Might get this or Skullgirls tomorrow (but since SG seems kinda "dead" online, im thinking of spending my last 15 bucks on VF

There is def more people playing this then SG atm on 360 and this is much better game but this is just my opinion. But if you are a huge marvel fan SG would prob be the better choice for you.

I think the VF net code is much better then SG runs like ass crazy slow downs and the load times are horrid. For SG and SF3s both running on GGPO SF3s runs infinitely better I don't know what the deal is but again that is just my experience/opinion.
  • Eternal DarknessEternal Darkness Fightan Gaems Joined: Posts: 175
    I think the VF net code is much better then SG runs like ass crazy slow downs and the load times are horrid. For SG and SF3s both running on GGPO SF3s runs infinitely better I don't know what the deal is but again that is just my experience/opinion.

I think Skullgirls' netcode is way better than anything. Never have I seen online so smooth. And people hated SF3s GGPO so much that they tried to make it not be in Skullgirls. But VF5FS' netcode is pretty sweet. Though it is true Skullgirls is dead online (well it is on PS3) because of how the tier system works and nobody was getting matches. And EU and NA PSN games can't play each either.

But yeah if you want a game that is currently active online get VF. I'd wait until Skullgirls got it's patch if you still want that because I can see more people going back on when that happens.
    Patch Patch Patch
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    I think Skullgirls' netcode is way better than anything. Never have I seen online so smooth. And people hated SF3s GGPO so much that they tried to make it not be in Skullgirls. But VF5FS' netcode is pretty sweet. Though it is true Skullgirls is dead online (well it is on PS3) because of how the tier system works and nobody was getting matches. And EU and NA PSN games can't play each either.

But yeah if you want a game that is currently active online get VF. I'd wait until Skullgirls got it's patch if you still want that because I can see more people going back on when that happens.
    And the PC version, which will let them and PS3 players play each other.
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    Is it me or is everyone on ranked matches currently? There is pretty much no one in player or room matches. Kinda sucks.
    Patch Patch Patch
    I've had no issues getting matches on ps3

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835
    Yeah everyone is on ranked. The way it handles ranked isn't so bad though, you can find matches really quickly
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,425
    Is it me or is everyone on ranked matches currently? There is pretty much no one in player or room matches. Kinda sucks.

Everybody is trying to get their grind on while the gettin' is still good, when the new people start getting better and the scrubs clear out, then you won't see that dan rank easily if at all.....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    After messing about against my girlfriend on this, I think I found myself a new character to use. Very interested in Jean now. He seems to be mainly a grounded game. I would test him against people on player matches but no one is on them. So I just play against my very inexperienced girlfriend who is getting better. So win win I guess.
    Patch Patch Patch
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man, the netcode is so good, even on a wireless connection (which I don't recommend, by the way...I'm only using it because I don't have a choice).

On PS3, I find that all the players are in ranked matches. From there, it's really easy to find a match.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • BillyKaneBillyKane 3s is life Joined: Posts: 713
    It's the same on 360, Ranked Match is usually packed. But in Room Match it kinda looks like you can't see rooms when people are actually playing and you can only join during the second wait time between matches? I hope I'm wrong but this would explain why it's so hard to find rooms...
  • WarlikeWarlike 元最強です。 Joined: Posts: 2,117
    I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I bought this game because I wanted to support it/Sega and because when I was like 6 I played VF on consoles a lot (obviously just mashing lol). The transition from 2d to 3d really messes me up, everything is so much slower and combos feel very unnatural to me right now (if I can do any, usually I fail).
    Decided to stick with Akira since doing his combo sets in training mode was pretty fun, I initally wanted to use Shun di but I have no idea how that character functions, I pressed buttons and he does a goddamn handstand, or goes into a one leg stance I'm like bro I just want dem jab combos!

Anyway, I want to like this game but this just doesn't feel like my cup of tea tbh. I will stick with it for abit though to see if it really clicks though!
    PSN: indico
    SF4AE: Gen | SF3OE: Akuma
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I bought this game because I wanted to support it/Sega and because when I was like 6 I played VF on consoles a lot (obviously just mashing lol). The transition from 2d to 3d really messes me up, everything is so much slower and combos feel very unnatural to me right now (if I can do any, usually I fail).
    Decided to stick with Akira since doing his combo sets in training mode was pretty fun, I initally wanted to use Shun di but I have no idea how that character functions, I pressed buttons and he does a goddamn handstand, or goes into a one leg stance I'm like bro I just want dem jab combos!

Anyway, I want to like this game but this just doesn't feel like my cup of tea tbh. I will stick with it for abit though to see if it really clicks though!
    Its a good game Imo; though, i wont be able to download it till later this week. I played four a bit and loved it. Took a while to get used to but once I did ;_; it was beautiful! I plan on maining Vanessa, Goh, and Eileen. I'll tryout maybe Lei(hate the guy love the style), Lau, Brad, Lion(hate the guy love the style), Jean and el blaze as subs
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • KumaOsoKumaOso Trust Your Instincts Joined: Posts: 3,752
    Have you looked at the other characters? Ironically, I try to avoid "mashy" characters.

For me, while I haven't played anyone outside of CPUs, it feels right to me, possibly more than a 2d fighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TTT2: Xiaoyu/Jaycee
    Virtua Fighter: Come On Eileen
    Avatar Art by Apofiss at DeviantArt.
  • dantemustdienowdantemustdienow Joined: Posts: 19
    Hard to believe how this little 15$ game from a dying corporation is a whole lot better than massive multi-million dollar fighting game projects from other developers. From the little things like a useful training mode, fast matchmaking...to major stuff like working NETCODE and fair character balance....Great job Sega! Please don't die....
  • RedVegaRedVega Joined: Posts: 861

This is actually why I haven't bought the game yet even though I bought the points specifically for VF5, but I feel like the transition will throw me off too much....=\
  • DepsDeps ayep Joined: Posts: 173
    You can't expect to just get used to a new game in a few days, especially 3D. I've been playing since day 1 and I'm still getting used to it, but the flow feels a lot more natural now. As far as speed, it's not fast as far as moving around everywhere, but I feel VF is one of the "fastest" fighting games. You have to make decisions every second and the options you have up close can be overwhelming.
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    Anyway, I want to like this game but this just doesn't feel like my cup of tea tbh.
    I thought you said you were a VF player?

Anyways hit me up if you want some practice games.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,267
    Finding nice mix of people in Ranked (got the 360 version)
    I'm one of the very few using Lau (yet also only fought ONE Taka player).

A whole lot of people still don't know how to quick-getup.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Optimus CackOptimus Cack yes man kablam Joined: Posts: 269
    I watched my friend play online, and he had a hard time punishing things like low punch spam...shit he can easily deal with in local, offline matches (trust me, I've tried it). Online play may not look like it's lagging, but it gets aggravating when you get down to specific timing stuff.

Brad is pretty cool, but VF movement and some inputs still feel weird to me. I eat a lot of beat knuckles.
  • ZodiacZodiac My fists pack one million volts! Joined: Posts: 308
    This is weird to say but playing VF sometimes you forget you're playing a computer the AI is so good. Can't tell you how many times its been two rounds apiece in special sparring and the end comes down to the wire we're both evading and blocking close calls left and right. At times want to GG the cpu XD
    Where that Pai thread at? Dunno what female character to pick up. Aoi is intriguing but the curve seems high for a newbie. Also true for Van but I like her more than Aoi. Maybe Sarah.
  • KumaOsoKumaOso Trust Your Instincts Joined: Posts: 3,752
    Come on (play) Eileen.
    TTT2: Xiaoyu/Jaycee
    Virtua Fighter: Come On Eileen
    Avatar Art by Apofiss at DeviantArt.
  • WarlikeWarlike 元最強です。 Joined: Posts: 2,117
    I thought you said you were a VF player?

Anyways hit me up if you want some practice games.

I never said that, just that VF was my gateway game into fighting games, which was back in 1996.

Is there any source to know which combos are must knows for Akira? I
    PSN: indico
    SF4AE: Gen | SF3OE: Akuma
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    I never said that, just that VF was my gateway game into fighting games, which was back in 1996.

Is there any source to know which combos are must knows for Akira? I
    You could start here
    Virtua Fighter forum: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
    5 Steps to Learning VF: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/323497/5%20Steps%20to%20Learning%20Virtua%20Fig#Post323497
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • menvimacalmenvimacal Joined: Posts: 4
    Oh shit peeps someone nominate me for mod of the VF forums! :D

Means you gotta show me and all the new people some kindness in between the beatings. :)
  • Jay MJay M PuertoRicanStyL Joined: Posts: 139

Back when I first tried VF5, I didn't like it either. But I had the game for 2 weeks from BlockBusta. So I kept playin. The first week, didn't like it. But something happened when I was playing a match where I realized kinda how it's meant to be played. Not just spamming moves or trying to swing ur way out of trouble like I was used to in SuperTurbo, but taking turns and blocking when ur stuff gets blocked, and to keep going if you land a hit. It was like my eyes were opened and the game became a lot of fun after that. Then is when I was really interested in learning my characters moves and how and when to use them.

I'd suggest with sticking to a character you like for a few days. And going through the command list training at least oncewith your character before you play online, even if you won't remember it all. These cats got a lot of moves and it takes a lil while to learn how to fight with them. It takes a while to get decent/learnhow to fight with whoever you choose. But once you get the gist of the system, I think you and anyone else will dig it. It's a really fun fighting game. But to each their own too though.
    Late, but still on time.