The 3rd Strike Online Edition Video Thread

Comments

• Lance3rdLance3rd Alaska 3rd Strike Joined: Posts: 986
    he means carlito has no idea how to block

I'm inclined to agree
  • DanderDander BANNED Joined: Posts: 7,213
    Well I think frame advantage for blocking, in terms of the hardware, can change with a push in momentum....you know what? Nevermind.
    8tROOXi.png
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,248
    Lance3rd wrote: »

I'm inclined to agree

Well if that's the case maybe so, and if that's the case, sorry Jak, but he's so offensive he probably doesn't always need to.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    JAK.. wrote: »
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    Lance3rd wrote: »

I'm inclined to agree

but he's so offensive he probably doesn't always need to.
    No.. really no. Him and a lot of players that learned to play online way over value guess parry and to an extent parry in general.

Id argue that they do that because it works against the people they're playing. If it didn't work, they probably wouldn't do it so much.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,626
    I don't think so.
    You're talking about people who aren't that interested in 'figuring things out' and just want to win.

The shortest path to winning is to just guess. You will win. Sometimes.

If you develop your playing in that environment you're going to guess more because there are many more situations where both players need to make a guess. There are fewer situations which are reactions and more situations which are guesses.

Offline there's more educated guessing and reacting. Much less straight guessing (50/50s i guess).
    Play more.
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,497
    In essence, you're both correct. It comes as a product of the competition and the environment played in as well as players feeling only the need to "win" as some sort of positive reinforcement. Habits are built both as a need to win as well as the familiar play from one's contemporaries.
    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
    There's also the groupies. Don't forget the groupies.
    8tROOXi.png
    I don't believe in love anymore. But I believe in you guys, so maybe you guys can be love in me.
    8tROOXi.png
  • RadioFoxRadioFox Joined: Posts: 89
    Nothing special, just pumping some life into a dead thread. Here is something for the casual lurker who comes in here looking for videos.
  • pyroleepyrolee Because... Joined: Posts: 1,073
    Dander wrote: »
    I saw it once, it was NG, at Fiesta Freddies and picked Urien. Hated it because the fireballs were so slow.

This isn't group therapy we don't need to just share our stories. Delve with it a bit. I first realized this game was great when I encountered the soCal community and it's legitimizationof Pyrolee as the ultimate "villain". I remember I would go and play at ffa and everyone would be talking about Pyrolee like he was Pegasus from Yu Gi Oh, you know? The King of Games. Yi, was like Jet Li in the movie Hero. He was surgical in his precision but no one knew that he was the best bet. Frankie3s was your typical whipper snapper with nothing to prove and all the right ideals for proving it. Ed Ma, an established he-man with a penchant for the quirkier behaviors such as tapping the buttons to the beat of the super. Ken I, that almost robotic player that would steam through most thing without flinching or even batting an eye. Gootecks was their friend.
    This made me lol...nice summation

Now I will show you the true power of yun.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Justin Wong in Chile

"The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,401
    edited November 2014
    Here's one that hurts to post guys, It's debilitating honestly.

Please tell me what I did wrong. I am Ryu.

Some factors:

We had played 2 games prior to this. He scraped me the first time, I returned the favor the 2nd time. Explains why random shit at the beginning of rounds etc. is hitting.

I was listening to RULES OF NATURE at the time, so I was hyped as fuck when I did the thing.

I know I'm going for hail mary tatsu's. Which shouldn't be happening. At all. It's a process to break habits you acquired when you were a poop baby kid with no arcades to get good at.

EDIT: Video cuts off, I lost! Totally shriveled up.
    Post edited by de BLOO on
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,420
    Basically a lack of fundamentals. You didn't once walk to close the gap and position yourself at a good distance to prepare for the air game, footsie game, and dash up throw. Just tatsus here and EX fireballs there.

Didn't see any pressuring block strings. Block low after 12's jump in.

Nice parry on the chip attempt though. I'll keep that in mind next time I play a 12. It's five hits to parry all of them?
  • KD AlphaKD Alpha "KD Alpha is the final boss of Laker hating." Joined: Posts: 1,356
    You played like you don't know the match up, which I'm guessing you don't.

Twelve's best tools are while he's airborn. When he's in flight mode he can't parry and can only cancel flight midair by hitting a button. He has virtually no ground game, so walking him to the corner shouldn't be too hard. Once there his only escape is to fly out or dive bomb out, if he's not trying to inch his way out with normals and NDLS.

On wake up he is free. I don't think anything of his is good to wake up with, so meaties and throws will blow him up.

A couple of things you did that you can improve on:

After the super in the corner you should've followed up with a tatsu (LK) donkey kick (LK) or normal (HK, though it causes a reset and not knockdown like the other two).

Close stand fierce looks like it could've punished some of those whiffed jump in normals he did.

You almost never should do non-canceled EX hados in this match up, as he can just walk under them and get a sweep or super punish depending on the range.

And as scrubby as it sounds, you should wake up with a shoryu every now and then when he's pressuring you in the corner just to make him think twice. If he hesitates that can be your opportunity to go back on the offensive or escape the corner.

Honestly though, just walk him to the corner and keep him from flying away.
  • MarbleMarble エバラ HUGOOO Joined: Posts: 321
    After that air to air tatsu you dashed up and tried to overhead him but got beat by EX flaily arms. A lot of knockdowns you get midscreen aren't going to give you enough time to meaty your opponent, so trying to get in their face in that scenario is (for the most part) a bad idea.

If you can't confirm low forward then just cancel into EX fireball (12 has to do something sick like red parry the 2nd hit then immediate SA1 to punish if you're at max distance). Though some would argue that using EX hadou in this way is a crutch that inhibits your development.
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,401
    Alright, I gotta remember to fucking walk. After reading Ryu24's post I starting looking for more stuff and noticed I'm either waiting for his game to come flying in or trying to jump in to get something going. Nothing else. I will say Twelve wakes up faster than most other characters( I think so at least) and that's messing me up big time. I never connected the dots on knockdowns being less effective midscreen, thanks Marble.

Yes 5 hits to parry.

Thank you Ryu24 and Marble(and no one else >:) ), you guys are awesome.
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
    Now give me my well-deserved "Insightful" =]
    I had succesfully pulled off any parry larger than 2 hits in a long time. Third hit of fierce dp always hits me and supers don't count.
    8tROOXi.png
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Some casuals from a meet recently here, mostly SF2/SF4 players trying to get into the game

• ForkliftKillerForkliftKiller Joined: Posts: 38
    RadioFox! Thanks for the solid hour of Ibuki 3S footage! We've played a few times in random ranked and it was always fun getting kicked around by you. Plus Ibuki mirrors are so much fun.

Anyways, got an Ibuki vid myself. I'm not doing anything particularly advanced, but I do hand this guy his lunch card back. But I can't tell if at the end he stops playing because he is 1) in awe of my dominance 2) in awe of how annoying I was 3) actually died 4) ashamed to lose to such tactics 5) forgot he left the iron on. ALL OF THE IRONS...

I was going to the taunt kill, but wasn't sure I had deserved it, ya know?
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,029
    edited November 2014
    if someone gives up online in frustration just take the win and move on. I think it's bad manners to prolong the match or taunt kill when they've clearly given up. maybe they're mad because you're teleporting on their screen, maybe they're expecting to die and so let go of the stick, who knows.

be a good samaritan! remember there's a human on the other side of the screen and be cool. I admit I don't always live up to my own ideals of online gentleman but I think that being a fun person to play against should be a goal. basically just don't be a dick.
  • ForkliftKillerForkliftKiller Joined: Posts: 38
    It's a good point, you should always fall back on trying to be decent. I think I do that most of the time. I started walking up to his Dudley really in confusion and to give him a chance I suppose. That last EX Kunai should have been a few pixels closer (need to learn WHEN to jump away and when it's safe to jump forward, I usually choose away...) and I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah, maybe he had to attend a phone call/personal issue/whatnot. We can assume a lot of things but always keep some degree of respect.
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    Saw one match on stream, a Makoto fighting a Ken with a stocked super, Ken never punished Makoto's blocked Hayate or sweep. Aris on commentary talking about taking a shit. I stopped watching there and never looked back.

Only interesting thing:

"I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Saw one match on stream, a Makoto fighting a Ken with a stocked super, Ken never punished Makoto's blocked Hayate or sweep. Aris on commentary talking about taking a shit. I stopped watching there and never looked back.

Only interesting thing:

I was actually surprised that Aris knows more about 3S than Ultra David ,since Aris is known for Tekken. rofl
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,878 mod
    Aris has a pretty good Gouki too!
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • DevdanDevdan Joined: Posts: 532
    He must've really been practicing to do that again, considering how badly the rest of the match went. Oh well, it was cool of him to even participate.
    Daigo still put up a better fight than anyone else who played JWong lol.
  • DevdanDevdan Joined: Posts: 532
    I liked when that Necro player took a round off a random SA3 and taunt killed him, lost, then picked SA2 the next match. Like, he must've known he had no chance, and was just happy that he got to taunt KO Justin Wong because picking SA2 against anyone let alone Chun-Li?
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,626
    if you're psychic its a great super.
    Play more.
    Some more local casuals

• hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,443
    de BLOO wrote: »

Some factors:

We had played 2 games prior to this. He scraped me the first time, I returned the favor the 2nd time. Explains why random shit at the beginning of rounds etc. is hitting.

I was listening to RULES OF NATURE at the time, so I was hyped as fuck when I did the thing.

I know I'm going for hail mary tatsu's. Which shouldn't be happening. At all. It's a process to break habits you acquired when you were a poop baby kid with no arcades to get good at.

this XBXLVE? what you scrnname?

megaprops to toyrobotterror for avatar gullysh*t
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    de BLOO wrote: »

Some factors:

this XBXLVE? what you scrnname?

Larry you should oiled more...ROFL .l.
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
  • hubcapsignstophubcapsignstop my structure is so dirty Joined: Posts: 1,443
    oily runaway
    dont hate
    megaprops to toyrobotterror for avatar gullysh*t
  • EricGGMusicEricGGMusic Online Tournament Organizer Joined: Posts: 1,754
    Thread revival? Just some Sean matches

PSN: Simply_EGGy
    MvC2: Rogue/Sent/CapCom
    3SO: Chun Li, Remy, Sean
    SSF4 AE: E.Honda, Chun Li
    Holy shit, he looks like Oro.
    8tROOXi.png
    Some random offline local casuals

3s casuals after hours at the Manila Cup (Sep 5 2015)

• DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,497
    Wait, Manila Cup? There's 3s in the PI? When I went to Manila last year there was just one broken cab and a bunch of guys that didn't know how to play so they just played MVC2 instead (not a bad choice at all, but damn).
    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
    some of my chun matches

Duralath wrote: »
    Wait, Manila Cup? There's 3s in the PI? When I went to Manila last year there was just one broken cab and a bunch of guys that didn't know how to play so they just played MVC2 instead (not a bad choice at all, but damn).

No more cabs. It's the old farts bringing PS3/OE setups. It's side stuff at SF4 tourneys basically :blush:

nICE! You and I played a Remy mirror in Ranked a couple weeks ago and it was a good match as I recall. Add me if you think of it and let's play more sometime! PSN: TheDoctaMario