Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Comments

• Lord KnightLord Knight MONEY. WOMEN. POWER. Joined: Posts: 242
    made a room called "open" on PSN, accepting any challengers (with a good connection)!
  • Miguel RossingtonMiguel Rossington Dedicated Nina Williams Player Joined: Posts: 290
    Ok so I am really looking to get this game soon. But the only thing I am worried about is like the obvious mechanics online that would body me. Like when I had an Xbox and got into SF4 a little late(I was a baby noob back then) and before I met Cammy my soul character... Or whatever. I would see them charging a focus and I would sweep sooooo im guessing you know what happened after. So im just looking to get the basic advice or lingo for this game.

Inb4 " he plays SFxT lets crucify him"
    PSN:Xx_Martin279_xX
    SFxT Main: Nina x Heihachi(Learning other females, Heihachi is enough "Man" for me)
    SFIV:AE: Rose
    Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru
  • CorreaCorrea HYPER CATINEL FORCE Joined: Posts: 177
    Well, whenever you're new to a game you should always expect to get bodied for a while anyway. The game is pretty easy to pickup tbh, you'll be fine as long as you stick with it, learn what you can and adapt. It's still a fairly new game, and people aren't that great at the game yet in any case, so you won't have a ton of catching up to do.
    PSN: tcorrea
    P4A: Mitsuru
    UMVC3: Doom / Storm / Sentinel
  • Miguel RossingtonMiguel Rossington Dedicated Nina Williams Player Joined: Posts: 290
    Well, whenever you're new to a game you should always expect to get bodied for a while anyway. The game is pretty easy to pickup tbh, you'll be fine as long as you stick with it, learn what you can and adapt. It's still a fairly new game, and people aren't that great at the game yet in any case, so you won't have a ton of catching up to do.

Ok thanks. On another note how should I go about choosing a character? What I did previously was just go in arcade and play who ever I thought was the coolest. Its what I did with SSFIV, found Cammy, stuck with her now I can honestly say i'm pretty amazing with her now. I thought Mitsuru looked pretty cool. (Whats better than a fencing lady who fights with fur coats on?)
    SFxT Main: Nina x Heihachi(Learning other females, Heihachi is enough "Man" for me)
  • NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    Mess around with characters until you find one you like, there aren't that many. Do the trials (for every character, but if a character isn't clicking with you there's no need to go all the way through their trials) to get a feel for characters' specials and combos as well as general system stuff like jump/superjump cancel timing (which is a lot more strict in ASW games than many others). They may not be optimal, but they are a good place to start for nearly every character. Start with whoever you want; if you want to play a cool looking character then go in the order of who looks coolest to you, haha.
  • Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,268
    There is not really any way to pick a character except for the way you decide yourself. If that works for you, you should just do it. Depending on how you learn, it might actually be good if you decide you want to change mains now and then because you'll get a more balanced practice of fundamentals.

PS. Australia doesn't even have a release date yet... I seriously think we are getting GG+R first
    There is not really any way to pick a character except for the way you decide yourself. If that works for you, you should just do it. Depending on how you learn, it might actually be good if you decide you want to change mains now and then because you'll get a more balanced practice of fundamentals.

PS. Australia doesn't even have a release date yet... I seriously think we are getting GG+R first
    Definitly planning on doing that. Thanks

Persona forum so much nicer than SFIV.
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 193
    I'd agree to just experiment with the character roster. I haven't done the trials (I prefer to learn solo with a movelist and practicing first in arcade/story, then online). The universal mechanics are definitely sometthing to learn how to best use depending on your character choice. Don't forget that the all-out-attack is an overhead for everyone, and can be followed by a short combo and launcher if it hits. Also, the 'mash X for auto combo into super' mechanic can teach you what a basic combo might look like for a character, but don't rely too heavily on it (there's so much more potential you an get from just playing around to see what works). Mitsuru is a little different in the roster as she's the only one who uses charge attacks (like E Honda or Guile) rather than quarter circles for her specials. She's got good range and some fun abilities. Fur coat swagger and the 'yoink' instant kill can't hurt either.
  • AnneIFrankAnneIFrank Joined: Posts: 428

This made my day.
    This made my day.

Was I wrong?
    No, no you were not lol SF4 forums used to be much worse too.

Take a word of advice for this game, learn to block really well, you'll be doing it a lot. Don't be mash happy during pressure and super long strings.
    No, no you were not lol SF4 forums used to be much worse too.

Take a word of advice for this game, learn to block really well, you'll be doing it a lot. Don't be mash happy during pressure and super long strings.
    I was never really one to mash but thanks anyway.
  • K.DoanK.Doan Joined: Posts: 23
    does anyone know if its still possible to get a hold of the famitsu DLC codes for the extra costume colors? anywhere i can buy that magazine from or if anyone is selling the code?
    Haven't played the game in a week and got drafted into a tournament I didn't even plan to be at T.T

EDIT: My whole team being like that and things getting quite silly, I had a complete blast the way we played at least ^_^
    Ok I can't lie I was a skeptic of this game in the beginning. But I just played my first online match after some practice and I did NOT expect to win lol. Did you ever feel like a game has just "clicked" or anything like that?
    I absolutely love this game! (Plus when Mitsuru threw the fur coat on Yukiko's KO'd body and posed like a pop star I laughed my ass off!)Definitely gonna try and put some time into this game.
  • CrunKaintDeaDxCrunKaintDeaDx Chie<3 i HATE my username Joined: Posts: 158
    what is unsafe for every character except chie cuz it seems to me every move is safe and i cant counterattack iam just stuck blocking the whole match because everything is safe while getting mixed up and combo'd also it sucks to be chie vs pretty much everyone with a dam weapon because 90% of the time i get perfected by all these characters cuz of my range and theirs and as soon as i get near them they all do universal DP mainly yukiko eliz and yosuke and kanji when i finally get to chance to punish a DP they manage to just DP before i can even hit them and punish and i get countered. S.Labrys i dont even get to play. akihiko is the only character i have any chance of beating and how do i fight kanji i feel like this is iron tager all over again as soon as kanji knocks me down i get forever thrown for the rest of the match if i jump i get thrown or AA if i walk/run up/universal ground dash and attack i get DP'd or thrown and paralyzed followed by a throw that does like over 2000-3000 damage sry if i ask too much i just wanna learn the game and have fun not be blocking and chasing the other person the whole match like i am currently doing cuz i cant hit anyone with chie and her god awful attack range
    I love Jill <3
  • capitaohankcapitaohank capitaohank (psn) Joined: Posts: 3
    I am sorry for asking the most-asked question of all. But whats the meaning of the numbers before the buttons people say? Like '5b' or '2b' or '5c'.
  • ThatJollyOlBastidThatJollyOlBastid soon Joined: Posts: 19,826
    I am sorry for asking the most-asked question of all. But whats the meaning of the numbers before the buttons people say? Like '5b' or '2b' or '5c'.
    Look at your keyboards number pad.

Or just google Guilty Gear number notation
    "Seth is like McDonald's. You can learn to make the same burger in 2 days as the person who's worked there for 5 years" ~ Dogura
  • capitaohankcapitaohank capitaohank (psn) Joined: Posts: 3
    Aah alright hehe (: tyvm
  • NarcowskiNarcowski Joined: Posts: 841
    r33ux.png

For future reference I guess.
    Can anyone recomend any channels on youtube that frequently uploads P4A Online matches?
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,987
    Is pktazn still around uploading stuff?
  • PromessaPromessa Joined: Posts: 10
    @CrunKaintDeaDx
    Yeah I think if chie had just a little bit more attack range it would help her out a lot. Compare her 5A with Labrys or Mitsuru's, it's ridiculous lol. Her best way to start a combo is by air dashing in with J.B but even that has almost no priority over any of the other character's 2B except maybe Naoto's... and Chie's. A good player can stop a Chie from rushing them down rather easily. I still love the character though. When I do get in on people her combos are really fun to do and the damage is nice, I just wish half of them didn't require being in a corner ya know.
    Oh and the lack of any kind of any dive moves really makes match ups with keep away characters a nightmare. At least Akihiko has assault dive and his air attack aim's downward. Chie's aim's horizontally...
  • SamuelVimesSamuelVimes Joined: Posts: 1,666
    I asked this in the Yosuke thread a month ago but never got a reply.

When I see some of the better Yosuke's play, they do run up CH 5A A LOT. I just wanted to know if this is just some kind of footsy poke and they are getting lucky on the counterhit and convert the combo, or if it is actually a strategy for him/a punish (ie, if they run forward you can dash5A on reaction before they do anything)?
    I asked this in the Yosuke thread a month ago but never got a reply.

When I see some of the better Yosuke's play, they do run up CH 5A A LOT. I just wanted to know if this is just some kind of footsy poke and they are getting lucky on the counterhit and convert the combo, or if it is actually a strategy for him/a punish (ie, if they run forward you can dash5A on reaction before they do anything)?

I have a really strong Yoskue in my scene, I'll ask him tonight about it ^_^
  • Mason HannaMason Hanna Best Scrub Joined: Posts: 1
    why do most player rooms have xenophobic hosts that make everything private, yet never have more than 3-4 people in their 8-man room?
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389
    Well the xenophobia part is obvious...they're probably foreigners who would have 0 bar connections.

On a related note, I find it really irritating when 0 bar players continuously challenge me in ranked. The strange thing is that sometimes the connection rating after you challenge someone, takes some time to appear on screen...so the opponent waits for it, and this makes sense...they want to see if the connection rating is good before they click Accept. Well, nope. They wait until it appears, it finally appears and shows a 0 connection rating and THEN they click accept. Why? Are they actually hoping that the game IS going to be unplayable before they accept?
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,391 mod
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    Atlus just had their tourney stream on level-up awhile back that offered sticks as themed custom sticks for their respective games of KoFXIII and P4A. P4A had a great turnout so the interest of the game is not dead and im starting to see good character variety being used
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
    Atlus just had their tourney stream on level-up awhile back that offered sticks as themed custom sticks for their respective games of KoFXIII and P4A. P4A had a great turnout so the interest of the game is not dead and im starting to see good character variety being used

Yeah a couple of people I know (one from Cali, and one from Las Vegas) went to it and said it was awesome. My only complaint is that none of the Loser's (or as they later called them "Shadow Brackets" lol) matches were streamed. Well, and that whenever I flipped on the KOFXIII stuff it was the end of one of Romance's matches as opposed to pre-beginning of them.
  • ZidianeZidiane KPB team member, SRK writer Joined: Posts: 1,225
    People still playing this game? Just picked it up. Remembering why I hate Arc System's games. Getting better though, and I keep playing, but I don't see many people on.
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,518
    Plenty of people still playing. It's my most played game besides Guilty Gear
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
    I admit I've started slowly migrating back to BBCSX, but I still kinda play it time to time.
    I know there' still a bunch of people playing, but I can't find a game at all on XBL, might try PSN to see if it's any better.
  • Number 13Number 13 The Courage to Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 1,545
    This and the GG game are the most recent arc sys game so fans who prefer those kind of fighters will try to play it. Xbox player base has toned down considerably but i usually would find at least a few lobbies where i can hop on (At this point Rank is most likely dead). Don't know about Ps3 user-base since i usually use PS3 for PS3 exclusive games like Aquapazza fighter
    Currently Played Fighters [other alias: HooliganComboFTW]
    Persona 4 Arena: Yu Narukami Skullgirls: Solo Filia SSFIV AE: Cammy Dead or Alive 5: Hitomi/Rig
    KoF XIII : K'/Athena/Terry SoulCaliber V: Siegfried Tekken 6: Lili/Lars SF3OE: Alex SSF2HDRMX: Cammy
  • shadowcreepshadowcreep Joined: Posts: 11
    I can usually find some ranked matches but i end facing the same 5 or 6 guys with some random new guys thrown in
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,391 mod
    Geh, it was almost perfect, the combos, the music by Queen...

http://shoryuken.com/2012/12/04/persona-4-arena-dont-stop-me-now-an-akihiko-sanada-combo-movie/

And then he mislabels the band as "Queens."

As a Queen fan I am disappoint.
  • wiredgodwiredgod Joined: Posts: 461
    What's the difference in terms of frames between instant block and regular block?
    PSN: wiredgod
    BB: Carl
    P4A: Teddie / Shadow Labrys
    Skullgirls: Peacock / PW / Filia