MLP: Fighting Is Magic - A Fighting game for manly men only (New characters from MLP creator?!)

tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltatakiJoined: Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Fighting Game Discussion
The 1st thread was closed because of shitstorms and drama. I know ponies are a delicate issue here but please refrain from unnecessary comments.

From the FAQ:

Q: Why Fighting ponies?
A: Why not?

Q: But...why ponies?
A: We like ponies. Ponies are cool.

Q: Are you new to the Gaming Developing Scene?, Not sure I’ve heard of you before.
A: Mane6 as a group is. Fighting is Magic is our first collaborative effort. The DevTeam members have been around and participated in other projects individually.
All of us are seasoned Fighting Game players, though. We’ve a fair idea of what we want to do in our game and how to reach it. Don’t let the “first project ever” fool you ;)

Q: Will there be combos?
A: Indeed there’ll be.

Q: Will there be Supers?
A: Ee-yup.

Q: And projectiles?
A: Indeed.

Q: Local VS only, or is there netplay?
A: We’ve both Local and Online Versus mode planned.

Q: How will the VS multiplayer work? Is there a central HUB/Server to which we connect to?
A: There is a HUB, but it is not central. We’re using MTSP, a netplay client based on Lunaport, with improved netplay and an integrated chat available; Once you’ve downloaded the client, you’ve the option to set your own “server” or of acting as a client, for a Max of 100 connections (that we’re aware of). You can set more than one Lobby Host in your computer, provided they’re in different ports.

Q: How many characters will there be?
A: 17 Characters in total, with the Mane 6 (Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash) playable at release.

Q: And the other 11?
A: They’ll be released in game updates in a semi-regular fashion after Launch.

Q: Why only 17?
A: Several reasons. Mainly, that we wanted to focus on quality over quantity. We’d rather release 17, solid, balanced characters than four dozen palette-swap clones.

Q: Ok, I’m sold. How much will this game cost me?
A: Oh boy. Well, prepare your wallet, because this totally awesome game costs a grand total of $0.00, and it can be… wait… what?… yes, you heard right. Zero dollars and Zero Cents: That is to say. Abso-pony-lutely free.

Q: … What’s the catch?
A: No catch!, really. The game was planned from the start to be freeware. That doesn’t mean we’re half flanking the job, though, we intend to release the best game possible.

Q&As from the live stream:

Q: Will this be at EVO2012?
A: We don't think so but it would be cool lolololol.

Q: This looks weird.
A: The graphical effects will be handled last in development. Polishing the characters, gameplay, balance etc. will be done 1st.

Q: When is it coming out?
A: All we can say is "soon".

Back to the thread- So far the game kinda looks like a 1v1 mvc3, only w/o huge damage and comeback mechanics.
There are wall bounces and ground bounces, limited to 2 in a combo.
One of the 2 revealed characters is a pixie rushdown, the other is a zoner with some moves inspired by MB's Aoko. (The devs said it)

Button layout:
LMH
F

(Editor's note:The F stands for 'Friendship', bitches!)

The music is cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inlhwCRS4fQ

Official Site
http://www.mane6.com
Post edited by tataki on
Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
Former account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
·

Comments

• Evil_ToasterofFPEvil_ToasterofFP The Texas Strange Joined: Posts: 1,016
    Last night's stream was super amazing. I hope to god this game gets more attention, especially on SRK. IT'S FRIENDSHIP BABY

Hoping Cutie Mark Crusaders are all one 'character.' Can't imagine any other way of doing it.
    ======= Mains: Zero, Doctor Strange, Dante, Vergil, Ghost Rider, Morrigan, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Fist
    =UMvC3= Subs/Assists: Hawkeye, Doctor Doom, Iron-Man, Strider, Sentinel, Arthur, Wolverine.
    ======= WIP: Amaterasu, Chris, Deadpool, Felicia,
    Awesomenauts: Voltar, Leon, Derpl, ---- Super MNC: Assault, Robohobo, (DA BES) Captain Spark, Artemis, Leo.
    ·
  • Firekid2468Firekid2468 Keep the Flag Flying Joined: Posts: 922
    I wanna main Twilight, but I'm horrible at zoners. Maybe I'll end up using Rainbow Dash. >_>
    BB: Makoto, Noel
    MvC3: X-23/Wesker/Strider
    SG: Filia/Squigly/M. Fortune
    RTSD all day, erry day.
    ·
    I wanna main Twilight, but I'm horrible at zoners. Maybe I'll probably end up using Rainbow Dash. >_>

I thought it was interesting that Twilight had what looked like a super fast standing overhead. But her low mobility is probably gonna make that a little less important. I guess if you pin someone down with the magic paper thing you can mix someone up. The possibilities are eeeendlessss
    ======= Mains: Zero, Doctor Strange, Dante, Vergil, Ghost Rider, Morrigan, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Fist
    =UMvC3= Subs/Assists: Hawkeye, Doctor Doom, Iron-Man, Strider, Sentinel, Arthur, Wolverine.
    Awesomenauts: Voltar, Leon, Derpl, ---- Super MNC: Assault, Robohobo, (DA BES) Captain Spark, Artemis, Leo.
    ·
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope this topic does a lot better than the last one, however will more frequent info coming out, I'm sure it will be fine.

The game looks interesting, but differently shows it's in pre-Alpha stage.
    Some odd things I've notice when watching the stream, such as how Apple Jack was able to combo into her throw after doing a cross up (which for some reason, the counter meter continued to count up, even tho it clearly showed Twilight was in her blocking animation before eating the cross up).

Other odd things too, such as Twilight doing an air juggle, and AJ would keep air teching, however each hit afterwords still continued to raise the combo count (even the guy on the stream was telling his buddy, using AJ, to just block).

Twilight's moves look unique, however a full screen super that seems to come in almost instant, and a move where she rips a page from her book, and the page slowly falls onto the ground, and can STILL count as an attack once it lands seems really broken.

Overall, the game seems like it shaping out to be really nice, but I'm worried they may be taking it into the wrong direction. The game no doubt has a lot of potential, but I'm not too sure how much fighting game knowledge the team has.
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird New and Improved Joined: Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadden by no Pinkie Pie gameplay. Gameplay looks fun.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    ·
    Hope this topic does a lot better than the last one, however will more frequent info coming out, I'm sure it will be fine.

The game looks interesting, but differently shows it's in pre-Alpha stage.
    Some odd things I've notice when watching the stream, such as how Apple Jack was able to combo into her throw after doing a cross up (which for some reason, the counter meter continued to count up, even tho it clearly showed Twilight was in her blocking animation before eating the cross up).

Other odd things too, such as Twilight doing an air juggle, and AJ would keep air teching, however each hit afterwords still continued to raise the combo count (even the guy on the stream was telling his buddy, using AJ, to just block).

Twilight's moves look unique, however a full screen super that seems to come in almost instant, and a move where she rips a page from her book, and the page slowly falls onto the ground, and can STILL count as an attack once it lands seems really broken.

Overall, the game seems like it shaping out to be really nice, but I'm worried they may be taking it into the wrong direction. The game no doubt has a lot of potential, but I'm not too sure how much fighting game knowledge the team has.

I'm pretty confident the team is knowledgeable.in the fighting game field. And at any rate, if something shows up in the primary release that's super broken it can be patched overnight. But they also said they aren't gonna patch the game just for the sake of patching it. If you remove all good strategies in the game then it'll be boring. Only broken games are fun.

All the weird bugs with things like the combo counter are probably things they are aware of. Can't judge the final release till it's out. That being said, for a pre-alpha this game looks amazing.

Also I want a Fighting is Magic cab at UFO >:|
    ·
    Also I want a Fighting is Magic cab at UFO >:|
    Hey, seeing as how it's going to be a PC title, it's possible.
    However, no doubt it will be some time until we see this game completed. After seeing other games made with the same/related engine, no doubt it can turn into a real fighter. It's going to take a lot more tweaks, even in this stage, to develop into something really good. I wonder if they are taking feed back from random people or whatever ;o
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • xroflmaowtfxxroflmaowtfx AKA Tai Joined: Posts: 68
    so hype for this
    either twilight or rainbow dash (preferrably twi) better be high tier
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    I'm still in retarded awe at the animation.

Seriously, what the hell. Even if it plays like shit it'll look really pretty.

CELESTIA PLZ
    ·
    Seriously, what the hell. Even if it plays like shit it'll look really pretty
    The animation is well done in not just in terms of frame count, but how the characters react for each move they do.
    If the game does flop, one can always sprite rip it, lol ;p

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • IchipooIchipoo Not in front of the mirror, it's embarrassing <3 Joined: Posts: 2,511
    Is the original thread still around? I want to read the saltiness for a good laugh. :rofl:
    *insert generic shiny, glowy, and heavily photoshopped animu sig here*
    https://twitter.com/lchipoo
    ·
  • Dimitri LionheartDimitri Lionheart Patiently waiting for SkullGirls Joined: Posts: 146
    Rarity Tease in the video lolz.

And god I hope this thread is free from the saltiness from the last one I read. >.>;
    SkullGirls for EVO...you say you dont know what Skullgirls is? *LE GASP*
    QUICK! Take this heavy dosage of SkullGirls 101! NAAAAO! http://www.skullgirls.com/home

And thats how I saved scrubs life...
    ·
  • ThatImpGuyThatImpGuy Honk Honk Joined: Posts: 72
    I'm still in retarded awe at the animation.

Seriously, what the hell. Even if it plays like shit it'll look really pretty.

CELESTIA PLZ
    It's basic tween-based flash animation. It's incredibly unattractive to 2D animation purists; not only that, it is also incredibly lazy. It's hard to make a game play like shit when it's as basic as it looks.
    Geedorah has arrived, you guys can take five, by the time it's over
    ·
    It's basic tween-based flash animation. It's incredibly unattractive to 2D animation purists; not only that, it is also incredibly lazy. It's hard to make a game play like shit when it's as basic as it looks.

pre-alpha
    ·
  • EmXEmX Joined: Posts: 845
    Any new fighting game based around a grassroots fanbase is pretty cool, regardless of people showing up to take potshots at the pony thing(tm). It's also a bent enough idea to attract people who aren't into the TV show like me.

Makes me wonder why there aren't more projects like this for other fanbases.

Really though, anything is better than another treatise thread on how to pick a character or tier lists.
    ·
  • AnemoneAnemone smug ass bitch Joined: Posts: 1,979
    The game's far from finished. It's going to play a bit like Vanaguard Princess when all is said and done because they plain to have each character have an assist character.
    ·
    The game's far from finished. It's going to play a bit like Vanaguard Princess when all is said and done because they plain to have each character have an assist character.

Wait what? When did this come up?
    ·
  • dragonlibrariandragonlibrarian forever newb Joined: Posts: 47
    lol, i am thoroughly entertained. i'll definitely have to give this a try when it's finished.
    PSN: dragonlibrarian
    Playing now; SG, SSFIIHDR, MVC2, AH3, KOFXIII, SFIII:OE
    Playing soon; GGAC+:OE, VF5:FS
    i love fighters but i'm not great at them.
    ·
    The info was probably buried by now, but I think it was in a Ponychan thread, and was mentioned in the SRK thread by another member.
    ·
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird New and Improved Joined: Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do want Cutie Mark Crusaders as assist characters.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    ·
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten Regalia of Omniscience. Joined: Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maining Fluttershy.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    3DS: 1048-9697-8273
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Pokemon TCG, PanZ Dragon Ball Z CCG, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

·
    Is the original thread still around? I want to read the saltiness for a good laugh. :rofl:
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/mlp-fighting-is-magic.139283/#post-5464298

There ya go.

My primary fear for this game has already been crushed: a poor adaption of Rarity, who will only have 5 attacks where she attacks with her hands.

RaritySlaps.gif

All smug, all ass, and all bitch, that's my kind of woman pony
    ·
    The info was probably buried by now, but I think it was in a Ponychan thread, and was mentioned in the SRK thread by another member.
    This was mentioned a long time ago, back when info on the game first came out but there was no gameplay footage.
    I still wonder if they will stick with this idea, or just abandon it the idea all together :x

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • YinYin fun fun fun Joined: Posts: 3,396

lol purists. Who cares what they think?
    It's results that count and the game looks fantastic, and extremely true to the show which is also animated in Flash.

It's like when people say 3D is lazy. Which leads to the question why all fanmade 3D fighters look like PSX-era ass, if it's so damn easy.
    All good art is awesome and takes hard work. The 2D elitists are no better than the kids who'll only play shiny HD 3D things. But they think they are.

Anyway, super hype for this game. Twilight is best pony, and I like zoners, so she'll probably be the one I try out first. But Celestia is also badass.
    And I must admit Rarity grows on me everytime I hear "Art of the Dress"... So much truth about working as an artist (or anything creative) in that song lol.
    slay this unaligned ant!
    ·
  • King9999King9999 Oraoraora...Mudamudamuda Joined: Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my first time checking this out. My reaction was "really?......REALLY?!" :lol:

I can't believe a game based on MLP is being made. To be honest, I wasn't sure what MLP meant until I watched the vid. :lol:
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
    ·
  • TessiusTessius Scrubulous Joined: Posts: 442
    Fucking sad I won't be able to try this on my stick as my TE is stone cold dead on my PC ever since I got a new one.

I'll try rocking it on pad.
    "I hope you little shits are cast into a furnace of hell-fire with your mouths duct-taped shut, while Ono repeatedly tells you he's changing the DP execution to one button." - SynikaL
    ·
    Fucking sad I won't be able to try this on my stick as my TE is stone cold dead on my PC ever since I got a new one.

I'll try rocking it on pad.
    Shouldn't be so bad since it's only four buttons. And I doubt they want to make this kind of game have a high execution level.
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    lol purists. Who cares what they think?
    It's results that count and the game looks fantastic, and extremely true to the show which is also animated in Flash.

It's like when people say 3D is lazy. Which leads to the question why all fanmade 3D fighters look like PSX-era ass, if it's so damn easy.
    All good art is awesome and takes hard work. The 2D elitists are no better than the kids who'll only play shiny HD 3D things. But they think they are.

Anyway, super hype for this game. Twilight is best pony, and I like zoners, so she'll probably be the one I try out first. But Celestia is also badass.
    And I must admit Rarity grows on me everytime I hear "Art of the Dress"... So much truth about working as an artist (or anything creative) in that song lol.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with this.

The game looks it came right from the show, and I don't care about what it took to get there.

So keep on cloppin, I want to see this project TWILIGHT SPARKLE.
    ·

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-836TtoF_5I

and just in case you forgot the melody
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbXGsysAAk&feature=related
    ·
  • Zip7Zip7 asdfghjkl; Joined: Posts: 192
    I Approve.
    ·
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been following this game since it was announced on Equestria Daily.

Can't fucking wait for this game.
    ·
  • YinYin fun fun fun Joined: Posts: 3,396

It's amazing how ponies make everything better :wgrin:

I actually never heard the original before, only read it was from somewhere.
    slay this unaligned ant!
    ·
    I also hope the super meter does more things than just level 1 and 3 supers. Super cancels or alpha counters are always cool but we can't really tell the direction the game is going right now.
    ·
    Randomly on youtube to check out the game's stream footage, I've notice some "theme songs" that are not in the game, but are fan made songs. I'm confused, because the people who made the songs said it was just a theme they used from the show, and then worked on it from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSTDyGBSFk

My question is, where in the show did a theme remotely even sound like that?

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randomly on youtube to check out the game's stream footage, I've notice some "theme songs" that are not in the game, but are fan made songs. I'm confused, because the people who made the songs said it was just a theme they used from the show, and then worked on it from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSTDyGBSFk

My question is, where in the show did a theme remotely even sound like that?
    just plain remixes of bronies. nothing related to the game.
    Former account:
    ·
    just plain remixes of bronies. nothing related to the game.
    Speaking of which, how was the word "brony" formed?
    I recently found out what it was (sort of... actually I'm not 100% sure what one is) due to a friend's FB status.

All I could think of was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXwpS9mbbck

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
    I recently found out what it was (sort of... actually I'm not 100% sure what one is) due to a friend's FB status.

All I could think of was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXwpS9mbbck

Bro+Pony=Brony.

Bro as in we are bros, because I guess we're cool like that. Pony because ponies obviously. It's just how people refer to fans of the show that aren't 5 year old girls.
    ·
    Bro+Pony=Brony.

Bro as in we are bros, because I guess we're cool like that. Pony because ponies obviously. It's just how people refer to fans of the show that aren't 5 year old girls.
    Oh, I see.
    But to be fair, I normally watch shows for 5 year old girls anyways, SO I GUESS IT'S ALL GOOD!?!? LOLOLOLOL

Anyways the theme song for Apple Jack on Fighting Is Magic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inlhwCRS4fQ

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ask me man I never even heard of this show until I saw your avatar and other people's.
    Former account:
    ·
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten Regalia of Omniscience. Joined: Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all the episodes, good show. My niece likes it a little too much though.
    3DS: 1048-9697-8273
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Pokemon TCG, PanZ Dragon Ball Z CCG, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

·
  • Ap0lloAp0llo this is me Joined: Posts: 646
    Brotastic, I can't wait for bronies to get together and bro out in this pony filled fighting game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xtle0njT8M
    SHIT
    ·
  • otterotter PSN: MyBodyIsInfested Joined: Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    just because people are bored of ponies on 4chan doesnt mean you can get away with it here.
    ·
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game looks awesome. That is all.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    ·
    The Mane6 team just got themselves a voice actor for Twilight. Sounds very nice.

http://www.mane6.com/2011/09/twilight-sparkles-va-found.html
    ·
    The Mane6 team just got themselves a voice actor for Twilight. Sounds very nice.

http://www.mane6.com/2011/09/twilight-sparkles-va-found.html
    Wow, that's actually not bad, didn't think they we're going to go as far as to get VAs for this game.

Too bad at the moment, a lot of coverage is being buried underneath the new info of Season 2. Which isn't much info at all, just like a tease of 3 pics from the first episode and... that's it.

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    IT'S FRIENDSHIP BAYBEE!
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
    ·
    Are you guys realizing this game is going to have better online than modern Capcom games?
    Former account:
    ·
  • Firekid2468Firekid2468 Keep the Flag Flying Joined: Posts: 922
    Are you guys realizing this game is going to have better online than modern Capcom games?

I was under the impression that most fighters except for kof12 had better online than capcom's. >_>
    BB: Makoto, Noel
    MvC3: X-23/Wesker/Strider
    SG: Filia/Squigly/M. Fortune
    RTSD all day, erry day.
    ·
    I'm realizing that this game will take a damn long time to make.
    So much effort into a freelance game, one can only wonder how how far it will go...
    Spoiler:

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·