MLP: Fighting Is Magic - A Fighting game for manly men only (New characters from MLP creator?!)

Comments

• GemakaiGemakai HadouKen what Others HadouKan't Joined: Posts: 826 ✭✭
    Just heard the news today, made my day a little dimmer. What annoys me is some people acting like the devs asked for it to be at evo, so it's all the devs fault.

Sigh. Regardless of what happens, what's really depressing is that it shows they put alot of heart and soul into the project and now it's basically for naught. That's got to leave any one upset.
    BBCS:EX: Hakumen, Noel, Bang, Hazama | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Yun, Sakura | UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Strider
    SFxT: Elena, Paul, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Law, Julia, Bryan | P4A: Naoto, Aigis, Kanji, Shadow Labrys
  • Bloo KazooBloo Kazoo Joined: Posts: 41
    NappyRat said:

I would literally have to be killed in order for this project to die. Just letting you know!

Nearly 2 years of voluntary, arduous labor being cockblocked by Hasbro's legal team. That, to me, is the toughest part about all of this.

And while I'm not proposing a torrent release of the game, I will find peace in the possibility, that this game will be completed, though we all might not have a chance to play it.

Whether it's just Nappy playing against AI, or in-dev tournies, this game (in my mind) will stay alive, and that none of the work put in goes to waste.
  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 174
    edited February 2013
    So here's something mildly interesting. The takedown made Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/02/11/youtube-vatican-timberlake-apple-my-little-pony/

Skip to the end of page 2. Nothing really new that we didn't know already, but they're citing this as an example of how unique the IP-fanbase relationship between Hasbro and the bronies is, and how this relationship is unknown territory for everyone.
    Post edited by Erkicman on
  • DstarDstar Joined: Posts: 30
    boohoo horse **** I hope this game stays dead. Serves them right for riding on the coat tails of hasbros IP.
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr Team BdP founding member Joined: Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the EVO drive is what killed this project. Don't get me wrong, when it was all going on, I was hype as fuck for a chance for FiM to be main stage at EVO, but from my admittedly limited understanding of copyright law, the moment you're aware someone is infringing on your IP, you need to act (usually by C&D, as that's the least hassle on their end) or risk losing your brand.
    Not to say Hasbro didn't know about Mane6, as some pretty high profile people were in our corner, but they could feign ignorance. But as soon as money starts getting thrown around with their name attached, their hand is pretty much forced.

It's entirely possible not a single word of that is true, but that's my .02 at the very least.
  • ForsakenM~ForsakenM~ Joined: Posts: 138

I think the EVO drive is what killed this project. Don't get me wrong, when it was all going on, I was hype as fuck for a chance for FiM to be main stage at EVO, but from my admittedly limited understanding of copyright law, the moment you're aware someone is infringing on your IP, you need to act (usually by C&D, as that's the least hassle on their end) or risk losing your brand.
    Not to say Hasbro didn't know about Mane6, as some pretty high profile people were in our corner, but they could feign ignorance. But as soon as money starts getting thrown around with their name attached, their hand is pretty much forced.

It's entirely possible not a single word of that is true, but that's my .02 at the very least.

People are getting copyright and Trademark confused: Hasbro owns the Trademark "My Little Pony." If it was copyright, they wouldn't have to defend it. Since it's Trademark, if they were not to defend it, then if they tried on another occasion in court, the defense would point out 'Well, why didn't you defend your Trademark here?"
    Current Goal: Straightening out my life.

PSN: ForsakenM

UMVC3: Hulk/G-Rida/Sentinel; MK9: Quan Chi; SG: Big Band; UNS3: Mifune, Asuma, Tenten; Injustice: Doomsday, Batgirl; MvC2: Ken/Juggernaut/Cpt. Commando;
  • ShadowwalkerShadowwalker coopgui Joined: Posts: 88
    edited February 2013
    When hasbro sold the rights to mlp, they didn't own all of the characters when they regained the trademark, so they had to change some designs and names.
    Post edited by Shadowwalker on
    Handle: @coopgui PSN: OmniShadowwalker

I play cute characters like Decapre.
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
  • SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 206
    edited February 2013
    "@SweetieBotatDD @ManeSix Not MLP OCs, something totally new."

I think this was posted here already? Still, Mane6 did not said anything about acepting those designs, of it they will continue the project in any manner, so again lets wait...If they acept Laura characters this could be interesting.
    Post edited by Saikyou on
    Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    Whatever... as long as it's not ponies.

Chances are it'll still be a bunch of girls though.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    Or hybrid alien/insect/beast thingies/imaginary friends
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, they should accept her designs to see what she has to offer.
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
  • Fox PocketFox Pocket Barack Arcana Joined: Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I'm just pleasantly suprised most of the comments here and on the front page are sympathy for the devlopers as opposed to irrational anger at cartoon horses.
    Chaos Code: Cthylla
    Blazblue: Platinum

Eww, girls. They have cooties. Who would ever want to play as a girl?
    BBCS:EX: Hakumen, Noel, Bang, Hazama | USF4: Vega, Makoto, Elena, Yun, Sakura | UMvC3: Felicia/Doom/Strider
    SFxT: Elena, Paul, Dudley, Vega, Asuka, Law, Julia, Bryan | P4A: Naoto, Aigis, Kanji, Shadow Labrys
    Real men race horses. Racing is magic.

• johnnydojohnnydo Joined: Posts: 182
    edited February 2013
    Post edited by johnnydo on
    I'm a stoopid 09'er who's never played a fighting game in his life. Judge me harshly.

"We have a shitload of fighters on the market, and the best way to show our discernment is to penetrate the hype with negativity. Dark Stalkers 4 will happen. Guilty Gear will get its sequel. Other franchises may be resurrected off of fg's current popularity. And we will hate them all, admiring MVC2 and Guilty Gear AC like museum pieces" - Robo-mitsu GGPO: Manchild2
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link Iroquois Pliskin Joined: Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭
    can't they just take the assets, head swap all the characters, rename them and say it's an "homage?"

I don't know anything about the ponies, but this news really got me down. talk about soul-crushing for the developers...
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • YinYin fun fun fun Joined: Posts: 3,396
    edited February 2013

can't they just take the assets, head swap all the characters, rename them and say it's an "homage?"

I don't know anything about the ponies, but this news really got me down. talk about soul-crushing for the developers...

Change the colors and haircuts and names to make original characters. Hasbro doesn't own the concept of cartoon ponies. Maybe remove cutie marks, I bet that's a big part of the trademark of MLP.
    I trust Mane6 not to make shitty deviantart OCs.

Hell, since it seems like Hasbro is gonna be messing more with our show in the future (Twilight drama...) getting some big non-Hasbro-tied pony things going would be good. Free the ponies.
    Post edited by Yin on
    slay this unaligned ant!
    Gemakai said:

Just what we need, another all-girl 2D fighter...
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    edited February 2013

Gemakai said:

are you kidding me?

aren't you specifically making just that?
    Post edited by Leebee Link on
  • SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 206

Gemakai said:

are you kidding me?

Women != Girl

Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
    edited February 2013
    Saikyou said:

Gemakai said:

are you kidding me?

Women != Girl

yep. those definitely look like women. you got me.
    Post edited by Leebee Link on
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede Badness At Its Finest Joined: Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

Why did they have to choose MLP to do a fighting game of all things?!
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Why did they have to choose MLP to do a fighting game of all things?!
    Is this a real question?

Nah, nah... I think it's SRK's new layout making people's post seem more retarded.
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
  • DstarDstar Joined: Posts: 30
    I, for one, am happy that this game is dead. Even seeing this thread in FGD made me sick. THe title "for manly men only" knowing full well the game is targeted at the "demographic" of dudes who like little girl shows and are pc nerds. What a lame joke.

If mane6 is representative of intelligent bronies then god help them.
  • MittinsKittensMittinsKittens Meow Meow Meow! Joined: Posts: 61
    edited February 2013
    http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/18dukj/fighting_is_magic_resurrection/

Not really sure what I think of it and how capable these guys actually are (I don't even know if it's some Mane6 guys under a new name or what) but it sounds like they want to take the leak and carry on the work.
    Hell, they're even reaching out to try and get people with the art assets for RD and FS to give it to them so they can slot it in. But yeah, I'm not holding out any hope until they show that they have the skills to actually make this without it being completely shitty...
    Post edited by MittinsKittens on
    PSN:- MittinsKittens \Games:-SF3:3SOE (Alex) and Skullgirls (Cerabella)
    GFWL:- MittinsKittens \Games:-SF4AE {Rose)
    FiM:- MittinsKittens (Pinkie Pie)
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,746 mod
    Damn, hotdiggetydemon (the guy who did the .MOV series) got his ankle crushed in a hit-and-run accident (and on his way to upload SWAG.MOV, no less...).

Here's his twitter account. Go send him some well-wishes or something.
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

edited February 2013
    [Duplicate message deleted]
    Post edited by Erkicman on
    http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/18dukj/fighting_is_magic_resurrection/

Not really sure what I think of it and how capable these guys actually are (I don't even know if it's some Mane6 guys under a new name or what) but it sounds like they want to take the leak and carry on the work.
    Hell, they're even reaching out to try and get people with the art assets for RD and FS to give it to them so they can slot it in. But yeah, I'm not holding out any hope until they show that they have the skills to actually make this without it being completely shitty...

Good Lord, this is dangerous. If Hasbro got word of this, and if they somehow wanted to blame Mane6 for it, how can Mane6 prove it's not them and not get sued?
    *Shrugs*
    Who knows. For all we know this could be a flash in a pan for these guys and they won't actually follow through with it. Just going to have to sit back and see what happens...
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 172
    Damn, hotdiggetydemon (the guy who did the .MOV series) got his ankle crushed in a hit-and-run accident (and on his way to upload SWAG.MOV, no less...).

Here's his twitter account. Go send him some well-wishes or something.
    I don't like the guy's videos that much to be honest but wow. I can't believe someone hit him and then just drove off. I hope his surgery goes well and that he can deal with the expenses.

I personally don't feel good about this idea. Understandable that these guys are passionate about the game, but I feel they really should have contacted Mane6 (assuming they haven't) before making an announcement like this or even messing with the leak, and it seems kind of rude to assume that the original team would be ok with this. It's also waaaay too early given that we don't know where things stand with Mane6's legal efforts, and this could cause problems. They probably mean well, but if they want to attempt to build a modded Fighting is Magic, they should put on the brakes until they know what is going on legally or even if they can build something remotely finished in the long run.

For now, I guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
    Well. The guy said in the reddit thread that if Mane6 starts back up again they will down tools and let Mane6 carry on...
    But yeah, Seems really weird :s
  • SisqoDisqoSisqoDisqo Sign Up Date: November 1995 Joined: Posts: 376
    apparently, the apologists for this game don't even realize that a majority of the bronies playing this game are in it for equine posterior.

if this game made it to EVO this year, people would have to wear face masks or oxygen tanks because of all the unkempt horse lovers.
    :snkd::snka::m:N
    edited February 2013

It's not 2D you moron.

Geez. 2CxLmFG.gif
    Post edited by PsychoJosh on
    BIG THUG NUTZ
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would laugh hysterically if the creators kept the mechanics but used new sprites and did a 180' and have masculine-as-fuck manly characters that belong in a Rob Liefeld comic.
    STOMP!
    I would laugh hysterically if the creators kept the mechanics but used new sprites and did a 180' and have masculine-as-fuck manly characters that belong in a Rob Liefeld comic.

Wouldn't it be nothing but disproportionate muscle mass? I'm sure everyone wants to play as Liefeld's Captain America
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to see a guy killed with giant Captain America titties:

7:40

I was hoping you could finally embed YT vids at a specific time in the new board.
    Post edited by Louiscipher on
    STOMP!
    Now that the game is dead, the lesser trolls are coming out of the bushes like hyenas lol

Anyway, Hasbro is just doing one terrible thing after the other now. Alicorn Twilight, shutting down Fighting is Magic and now... A spinoff with human versions of the ponies. That's just great. I mean I guess it COULD be good, but I wouldn't bet on it. I bet on tween "Bratz"/"Monster High" terror.
    slay this unaligned ant!
    Yin wrote: »

Anyway, Hasbro is just doing one terrible thing after the other now.

I know. Creating MLP, continuing to make MLP, acknowledging the bronies... the awfulness never ends.
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    PsychoJosh wrote: »

I know. Creating MLP, continuing to make MLP, acknowledging the bronies... the awfulness never ends.

First, I said "NOW" as in lately as in what they're doing at this moment.

Second, I don't give a shit if a faceless company that makes shitty toys "acknowledges" me, as long as they keep their dirty suit hands of the creative process. ~:>
    In a perfect world, Studio B or Lauren Faust would own the MLP franchise. The only good thing Hasbro ever did was hire Lauren and pay for the show.
    slay this unaligned ant!
    Now that the game is dead, the lesser trolls are coming out of the bushes like hyenas lol

Anyway, Hasbro is just doing one terrible thing after the other now. Alicorn Twilight, shutting down Fighting is Magic and now... A spinoff with human versions of the ponies. That's just great. I mean I guess it COULD be good, but I wouldn't bet on it. I bet on tween "Bratz"/"Monster High" terror.

I haven't seen the Alicorn Twilight arc yet, so I'll reserve judgment. Same with the spin off human series (I'd actually like to see what they might do with that, but will acknowledge it might probably be terrible).

And the Fighting is Magic C&D... yea, it sucks, but life goes on.
    edited February 2013
    PsychoJosh wrote: »

First, I said "NOW" as in lately as in what they're doing at this moment.

Second, I don't give a shit if a faceless company that makes shitty toys "acknowledges" me, as long as they keep their dirty suit hands of the creative process. ~:>
    In a perfect world, Studio B or Lauren Faust would own the MLP franchise. The only good thing Hasbro ever did was hire Lauren and pay for the show.

Lauren Faust is a fucking idiot who makes bank off catering to fucking idiots.
    Post edited by PsychoJosh on
    BIG THUG NUTZ
  • lightskintwinlightskintwin Black Militant Racist Joined: Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    No way this game gets cancelled and abandoned.
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    I am not optimistic for a new team taking over MLP:FiM; largely as they can easily get served, but moreover because you have new people with new design ideas taking old material and yeah...

Basically you're looking at MUGEN all over again~
  • Blacksonic21Blacksonic21 aka HsienKosHelper Joined: Posts: 485
    I am not optimistic for a new team taking over MLP:FiM; largely as they can easily get served, but moreover because you have new people with new design ideas taking old material and yeah...

Basically you're looking at MUGEN all over again~

Yeah I was liking what mane6 were building, who the hell knows what these new guys have planned. And they only estimate a couple of months worth of work, without having access to FS and RD's sprite work, yeah my hopes aren't high.
    XBLGT: HsienKosHelper
    SSF4AE: Makoto/Honda
    UMVC3: Hulk/Hsien-ko/Sentinel - Felicia/Doom/Strider
  • JoppaloweJoppalowe Tonight. You. Joined: Posts: 73

I'm guessing their aiming for the bratz demographic. I wonder if the voice talent will be the same. If not, eveythings going to seem just a little bit... off.

Low Tier Legend / God Tier Gimmick
    2012AE: Juri and El Fuerte
    3S: Remy, Q, Urien
    I swear, do these guys know how to be anon?

>announces the game will be made by anon
    >Post on reddit about game revival
    >???
    >mfw

Gemakai wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Alicorn Twilight arc yet, so I'll reserve judgment. Same with the spin off human series (I'd actually like to see what they might do with that, but will acknowledge it might probably be terrible).

And the Fighting is Magic C&D... yea, it sucks, but life goes on.
    Wait whaaaaat? I knew about the Twilight gettin' wings an things but a human spin off of MLP? This is real? Honestly don't know how to feel about that one and going to have to wait until I see some kind of material for it.

I think my biggest issue with these external Fighting is Magic projects is that it seems like they have pretty much never contacted Mane6 before, and then they decide to announce that they want to use the materials put together by the devteam, the voice actors, the musicians, etc. and attempt to "finish the game." For one thing, Mane6 hasn't announced any intentions of giving up on the project or disbanding. It's been less than a week since the announcement, patience is probably an important thing right now.

This video actually has a lot of pretty good information on the whole copyright/trademark situation here: twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/366859008
    edited February 2013
    Not sure what happened to turn one post into eight, but I'm kind of wishing we still had that 'delete post' button.

Anyone know the best way to get rid of these? Flag them maybe?
    Post edited by Inknail on