MLP: Fighting Is Magic - A Fighting game for manly men only (New characters from MLP creator?!)

1565759616264

Comments

  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link Iroquois Pliskin Joined: Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    PsychoJosh wrote: »
    aren't you specifically making just that?

    It's not 2D you moron.

    Geez. 2CxLmFG.gif


    oh shit! there's an added dimension! the all-girl 3D fighting game market is definitely something we need to see more of.


    hopefully they get some juicy stuff from that artist. it would be a big waste to see all their work go down the drain... :\
    Post edited by Leebee Link on
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • Bloo KazooBloo Kazoo Joined: Posts: 41
    Inknail wrote: »
    Not sure what happened to turn one post into eight, but I'm kind of wishing we still had that 'delete post' button.

    Anyone know the best way to get rid of these? Flag them maybe?
    Maybe edit them so they at least don't take up space?
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,733 mod
    edited February 2013
    Inknail wrote: »
    Not sure what happened to turn one post into eight, but I'm kind of wishing we still had that 'delete post' button.
    Your first post got flagged by the spam filter (why? No clue!), meaning it was there, just invisible until we approved it. When you saw it hadn't been posted, you proceeded to try to post it seven more times, and each post got flagged. I've verified your account so that won't happen again, but it's up to the FGD mods to delete the extra posts. For now you can just edit the posts and say something like "mods, please delete this post." This spam filter might seem annoying right now, but trust me -- it's a godsend.

    As for the delete option, I've made that request to the admins.

    Back to your regularly scheduled pony thread. Alicorn Twilight? Meh. Remember that this is a Hasbro show, and Hasbro wants to sell more toys. Expect all the main characters to evolve in some form. Gotta keep the toys flowing.

    edit: Hell, I'll just be nice and delete them myself. I'll probably get in trouble since this isn't my section, but oh well. I do eet for you guys.
    Post edited by DaRabidDuckie on
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

  • ShadowwalkerShadowwalker coopgui Joined: Posts: 88
    edited February 2013
    Really? David didn't mention anything important about copyright that wasn't obvious or substantial to the matter. I'm more mad the "revival" group posted this in an obvious place like reddit that is like asking hasbro to see it
    Post edited by Shadowwalker on
    Handle: @coopgui PSN: OmniShadowwalker

    I play cute characters like Decapre.
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Classy???? What exactly does class have to do with anything?

    The only class that seems to matter so far is a bunch of middle class twenty year olds allowing themselves to be bullied by a billion dollar corporation.

    Classy = respecting the rights of the copyright holders and stopping your use of their copyrights when they ask you to.

    Not classy = thinking you are entitled to copyrights owned by others and that they do not have the rights to decide if your work is dilluting the value of their copyrights.

    Basically if Mane6 persists on using the MLP copyright despite knowing that Hasbro doesn't want him to then he's a crook. A bunch of middle class twenty year olds bullying a billion dollar corporation isn't my idea of classy.
    Post edited by scytheavatar on
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 170
    Your first post got flagged by the spam filter (why? No clue!), meaning it was there, just invisible until we approved it. When you saw it hadn't been posted, you proceeded to try to post it seven more times, and each post got flagged. I've verified your account so that won't happen again, but it's up to the FGD mods to delete the extra posts. For now you can just edit the posts and say something like "mods, please delete this post." This spam filter might seem annoying right now, but trust me -- it's a godsend.

    As for the delete option, I've made that request to the admins.

    Back to your regularly scheduled pony thread. Alicorn Twilight? Meh. Remember that this is a Hasbro show, and Hasbro wants to sell more toys. Expect all the main characters to evolve in some form. Gotta keep the toys flowing.

    edit: Hell, I'll just be nice and delete them myself. I'll probably get in trouble since this isn't my section, but oh well. I do eet for you guys.
    Thanks dude, my bad for the multipost.

    I still think the alicorn Twilight thing will probably just be relevant for the finale episode (I guess we don't have to wait too long to find out), but it might be interesting to see them try to play similar cards for the rest of the characters. Are there not already official Rainbow Dash as a Wonderbolt figurines?
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    edited February 2013
    PsychoJosh wrote: »
    aren't you specifically making just that?

    It's not 2D you moron.

    Geez. 2CxLmFG.gif


    oh shit! there's an added dimension! the all-girl 3D fighting game market is definitely something we need to see more of.


    hopefully they get some juicy stuff from that artist. it would be a big waste to see all their work go down the drain... :\

    You said I was making "specifically just that", when I'm not. My game has an immediate and obvious difference to other all-girl fighters as it's also a self-aware parody.

    I'm evasive to other all-girl 2D fighters made in the west, because people generally make them awful by filling them with stupid internet memes, unscrupulous personal fetish fuel, obnoxious character designs and unoriginal mechanics. We don't need more games that play "like Marvel(/Guilty Gear/CVS2), but with a twist!".
    Post edited by PsychoJosh on
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • MittinsKittensMittinsKittens Meow Meow Meow! Joined: Posts: 61
    Hey. Just an update for you all.
    Don't know if its true or how easy it is to get, but apparently the Evo 12k13 build (A new build) has been leaked ( No Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash).

    http://www.substance-tv.com/my-little-pony-fighting-is-magic-evo-build-leaked/

    Might have to search it out because I'm curious to see the work that was put into it before it got C&D'd :)
    Location:-UK/EU
    PSN:- MittinsKittens \Games:-SF3:3SOE (Alex) and Skullgirls (Cerabella)
    GFWL:- MittinsKittens \Games:-SF4AE {Rose)
    FiM:- MittinsKittens (Pinkie Pie)
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Just played it. It's ass. Plays like any Flash fighter.

    The sprite work is good though.
    Post edited by Louiscipher on
    STOMP!
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    Horse Game Ass
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Blacksonic21Blacksonic21 aka HsienKosHelper Joined: Posts: 485
    Hey. Just an update for you all.
    Don't know if its true or how easy it is to get, but apparently the Evo 12k13 build (A new build) has been leaked ( No Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash).

    http://www.substance-tv.com/my-little-pony-fighting-is-magic-evo-build-leaked/

    Might have to search it out because I'm curious to see the work that was put into it before it got C&D'd :)

    If you manage to find it, let me know.
    XBLGT: HsienKosHelper
    SSF4AE: Makoto/Honda
    UMVC3: Hulk/Hsien-ko/Sentinel - Felicia/Doom/Strider
  • SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 206
    The "new" leak news has been deleted btw, just to warn...
    Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 170
    edited February 2013
    The "new" leak is almost certainly just the old leak that someone has tampered with. Probably something like the mod with extra stages put in it that showed up on Youtube a while back. No expanded roster or character modifications.

    edit: yeah, the "leak" is confirmed as a modification of the old leak. At least the article was removed so there shouldn't be too much misinformation.
    Post edited by Inknail on
  • JoppaloweJoppalowe Tonight. You. Joined: Posts: 73
    I can't see this game going away. Even if the original team doesn't finish it, someone will patch it together.

    At least this game didn't ask me to buy gems.
    Low Tier Legend / God Tier Gimmick
    2012AE: Juri and El Fuerte
    3S: Remy, Q, Urien
  • Bloo KazooBloo Kazoo Joined: Posts: 41
    This is pretty dangerous territory, if this game isnt done by Mane6, and other teams pick it up and attempt to complete it, (which WILL happen, this game wont die as Joppalowe pointed out) this may very well become another MUGEN...
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    To expand on my previous comments about it turning into MUGEN; without the centralised Mane6 contingent releases, it also means OCs are easy enough to implement.

    By not being able to have a central release team/site, it means you have different versions competing. No one would have been able to add in their characters and have it used by more than a small group while the game is supported by a fixed webspace and team =3c


    That said, it's entirely possible the guys who want to take over are just as respectful of FGC/Fighting Games/The source material as Mane6. There's no reason to assume the worst.

    But I'm assuming the worst
  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 173
  • KrispKrisp Joined: Posts: 39
    I feel bad that mane6 got shut down. Went and signed the petition, pretty much only out of respect after the evo fund.
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,733 mod
    Well... yeah... so how about the season 3 finale?

    Yeah... that happened. Seeing lots of hate. Lots and lots of hate. People are saying they're 100% done with the show (coming from people I'm surprised to hear say that).

    I personally didn't mind it. Even got a little welled up at the end. I hate musicals, but I didn't mind it. I will say that the plot felt rushed though, and it was a blatant excuse to market a new toy.
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

  • Blacksonic21Blacksonic21 aka HsienKosHelper Joined: Posts: 485
    DaRabidDuckie

    These guys have to remind themselves that this show is meant to sell toys to little girls, and all of Hasbros decisions rest on that simple fact. Personally I think the backlash wouldn't be so server if the whole I'm now a princess thing was handled better. It felt rushed and shoehorned in, regardless of the foreshadowing of an eventual ascension to Alicorn.

     This would have been better served for a series finale as it was originally intended but Hasbro spontaneously decided to green-light a fourth season after this had been worked out. Now everyone is pissed off because they have to play the waiting game for seven months, to see how the writers perform damage control on this mess. Rumor has it that the first two episodes of season four are tie-ins to this episode, which hopefully provide satisfactory answers to this cluster fuck of an episode. I can reasonably see them reverting Twilight back to her original form when the series returns. I mean let's face it, they only did this to sell their new Princess Twilight toy with the fifty dollar price tag on it. When the fourth season comes out they would have sold as many of those Twilight toys as they're going to, making the transformation pretty much moot.

    Honestly I don't care if the series crash and burns because of this. I was in this fandom for Fighting is Magic and now that, that's dead and buried, Hasbro can go fuck themselves.

    XBLGT: HsienKosHelper
    SSF4AE: Makoto/Honda
    UMVC3: Hulk/Hsien-ko/Sentinel - Felicia/Doom/Strider
  • Fox PocketFox Pocket Barack Arcana Joined: Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    snip
    Godlike oki at 0:48.
    Post edited by Fox Pocket on
    Chaos Code: Cthylla
    Blazblue: Platinum

  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 173
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    edited February 2013
    Well... yeah... so how about the season 3 finale?

    Yeah... that happened. Seeing lots of hate. Lots and lots of hate. People are saying they're 100% done with the show (coming from people I'm surprised to hear say that).

    I personally didn't mind it. Even got a little welled up at the end. I hate musicals, but I didn't mind it. I will say that the plot felt rushed though, and it was a blatant excuse to market a new toy.
    You mean the part where TWILIGHT SPARKLE GREW WINGS AND BECAME AN ALICORN

    LOL SPOILERS?!!!!?

    Post edited by PsychoJosh on
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    Not that surprised people are no longer fans; the reasons to like it were tenuous at best and based on the show offering a bit more than your usual fare for toy companies making shows for little girls.

    For many it just shows Hasbro are now taking control of the series in a way that the writers and animators don't agree with.  Further, they mandated that Derpy is to be phased out and then removed for all future seasons.  There were members of the creative team commenting about it on Reddit.


    It wasn't a terrible episode, but nothing in it makes it worth watching either.  Would have been nifty if they ended the episode where Twilight got exploded.
  • ErkicmanErkicman Joined: Posts: 173
    So... Mane6's website broke 7,000,000 views sometime today. So, uh, congratulations, I guess?
  • ph00tbagph00tbag Joined: Posts: 96
    edited February 2013
    [img]http://i48.tinypic.com/35dbyhx.jpg[/img]

    Lol new forum software generates code that it can't even parse.
    Post edited by ph00tbag on
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,733 mod
    ph00tbag said:
    [img]http://i48.tinypic.com/35dbyhx.jpg[/img]

    Lol new forum software generates code that it can't even parse.
    Nah, you're just doing it wrong.

    This is what he was trying to post, everybody:

    image
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2013

    RIP MLP FIM

     

    :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Post edited by Axl_m4ster on
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2013

    nah, in all seriousness though, the developers can continue finishing the product...they just cant make any money off it...then again why would they if the cant.

    lastly, skeletor found out about this mlp fim project and killed it from hasbro hq.

    evil mo fo isn't he?

    what? you guys didn't know hasbro ceo & founder is skeletor?

    now you know...and knowing is half the battle.

    Post edited by Axl_m4ster on
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

    nah, in all seriousness though, the developers can continue finishing the product...they just cant make any money off it...then again why would they if the cant.

    The reason why they would make the game even if they can't make money off of it is because, Mane6, the developers, had made very clear they had no intention to make any money on the game; that it was entirely free and that they would not accept any donations or any form of recompense for their labour of love because they had no license or agreement with Hasbro.  By not taking any form of income they can argue that they are not damaging Hasbro's IP.

    You are, unfortunately, entirely wrong with regard to the developers continuing the product.  The Cease and Desist means very specifically that they cannot take further action, as to do so lets Hasbro apply to the Court.

    Check out last Tuesday's UltraChen show for a bit of info on the legality.

     

    Of course, with regard to loud and obnoxious fans, I'm all for them leaving =3  but the problem is that it is the loud and obnoxious fans that caused a huge backlash over the creative team making the unheard of gesture of adding Derpy into an episode as a canon character.  Whether liked or not, they are the ones that become most noted in outward representation of the community, and it was that misguided white knight crusade that has now had the animation team advise over reddit that they have to phase Derpy out and that she cannot appear in Season 4.  Same people bitching and whining over Hasbro forcing in their winged twilight toy will likely serve to further separate the company and fans as Hasbro insulate themselves by distancing further from the brony guys.

    Post edited by Spiku Nightly on
  • InknailInknail alert the lame police Joined: Posts: 170
    edited February 2013
    I thought the episode was good, though it seemed a little rushed at the end  and probably could have been split into two comprehensive episodes (kind of like the Discord reformation episode). I thought the premise of the start of the episode was actually pretty cool and the songs fit in nicely considering there were so many. The whole allicorn/princess Twilight stuff did feel very much thrown in though and leaves more questions than anything. Where's Discord, where does Twilight live now/what does she do? Gonna be an entire season before they can answer that. The wings certainly seem to be a permanent thing though... and I thought they would save that for the end of the series or something.


    Post edited by Inknail on
  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Metro City Villain Joined: Posts: 616


    Had fun with these, notations in the descriptions.
    Magneto/Strange/Ammy
    Call PETA
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97

    Rarity touch of death/infinites are so easy pre-canterlot gardens release XD 

    Does Twilight have infinites outside of chapter force stand/Pinkie outside of cartwheel combo reset?

  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Metro City Villain Joined: Posts: 616
    Pinkie has one after you Cartwheel B four times. Dashing after the Fifth and pressing 5A should juggle them then you just repeat.

    Twilight has two infinites, one is the jAjB the other is Pinkie specific.


    Magneto/Strange/Ammy
    Call PETA
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97

    Yeah that's the Pinkie cartwheel reset I mentioned =3

    You got a vid of Twi's standard infinite? I only know the chapter force stand infinite =<

  • UFOrangeUFOrange Joined: Posts: 15
  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Metro City Villain Joined: Posts: 616
    Here's the other infinite:


    Magneto/Strange/Ammy
    Call PETA
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    edited February 2013
    So basically this game is "Marvel but with a twist!".

    How disappointing and unoriginal.

    Like, no, I was actually giving it a chance and seeing for myself what the gameplay was like that you guys are wetting your panties over. I thought maybe your standards for fighting games weren't nearly as abysmal as they were for cartoons and I was proven wrong. It's seriously as unimaginative and dull as I expected it to be.
    Post edited by PsychoJosh on
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • MollyFighterMollyFighter Metro City Villain Joined: Posts: 616

    The "Double Desk" Credit goes to Fosh for performing the combo.
    Magneto/Strange/Ammy
    Call PETA
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2013

    nah, in all seriousness though, the developers can continue finishing the product...they just cant make any money off it...then again why would they if the cant.

    The reason why they would make the game even if they can't make money off of it is because, Mane6, the developers, had made very clear they had no intention to make any money on the game; that it was entirely free and that they would not accept any donations or any form of recompense for their labour of love because they had no license or agreement with Hasbro.  By not taking any form of income they can argue that they are not damaging Hasbro's IP.

    You are, unfortunately, entirely wrong with regard to the developers continuing the product.  The Cease and Desist means very specifically that they cannot take further action, as to do so lets Hasbro apply to the Court.

    Check out last Tuesday's UltraChen show for a bit of info on the legality.

     

    Of course, with regard to loud and obnoxious fans, I'm all for them leaving =3  but the problem is that it is the loud and obnoxious fans that caused a huge backlash over the creative team making the unheard of gesture of adding Derpy into an episode as a canon character.  Whether liked or not, they are the ones that become most noted in outward representation of the community, and it was that misguided white knight crusade that has now had the animation team advise over reddit that they have to phase Derpy out and that she cannot appear in Season 4.  Same people bitching and whining over Hasbro forcing in their winged twilight toy will likely serve to further separate the company and fans as Hasbro insulate themselves by distancing further from the brony guys.

    you're gonna haveta link me that ultrachen show coz i still don't understand how hasbro can obstruct the creation/continuation of the indie project known as fighting is magic if said people involved have no intentions of ever making any money off it.

     

    i mean, if hasbro could keep someone from creating something with their artistic/product/intellectual property when that someone doesn't make any money from its imitation....

    then hell, wouldn't elvis presley be able to also send a C&D order to andy warhol for his silkscreen paintings of elvis?

    last time i checked, i don't think elvis could...and andy actually made money off those paintings.

    isn't it the same thing?

    i mean....i'm an artist myself....i can make a drawing, painting, sprite work, animation of anything i want under the sun...invoking artist license, .........from he-man, to mlp, to gi joe, to elvis, to marylin monroe, to optimus prime, any damn thing i want.

    as long as i don't make any money off of someone else's intellectual property thats been trademarked or copyrighted.....as far as i know i think nothing can obstruct me.

    i mean, artists have rights too. they have rights to depict images, hell, any image they want, even images that are copyrighted & trademarked...as long as they don't make any money off those copyrighted/trademarked images they're depicting.

    so whats the problem here?

     

    i mean, if i wanna make a 2D sprited based facsimile of SF4....i think i can...legally can.

    i just can't make a single dollar my work though.

    as long as i dont make a profit from the mugen SF4 clone, how can capcom block me from making it?

    what would their argument be in court that i'm hurting their business if i'm not making a profit from my personally hand drawn sprite based mugen SF4?

     


     

    Post edited by Axl_m4ster on
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • ForsakenM~ForsakenM~ Joined: Posts: 131
    So basically this game is "Marvel but with a twist!".

    How disappointing and unoriginal.

    Like, no, I was actually giving it a chance and seeing for myself what the gameplay was like that you guys are wetting your panties over. I thought maybe your standards for fighting games weren't nearly as abysmal as they were for cartoons and I was proven wrong. It's seriously as unimaginative and dull as I expected it to be.
    You've done nothing but try to get a rise out of the bronies here, all you're posts being negative, and yet to no success....

    So, why still make worthless attempts I wonder...
    Current Goal: Straightening out my life.

    PSN: ForsakenM

    UMVC3: Hulk/G-Rida/Sentinel; MK9: Quan Chi; SG: Big Band; UNS3: Mifune, Asuma, Tenten; Injustice: Doomsday, Batgirl; MvC2: Ken/Juggernaut/Cpt. Commando;
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Axl_m4ster said:.

    you're gonna haveta link me that ultrachen show coz i still don't understand how hasbro can obstruct the creation/continuation of the indie project known as fighting is magic if said people involved have no intentions of ever making any money off it.

     

    i mean, if hasbro could keep someone from creating something with their artistic/product/intellectual property when that someone doesn't make any money from its imitation....

    then hell, wouldn't elvis presley be able to also send a C&D order to andy warhol for his silkscreen paintings of elvis?

    last time i checked, i don't think elvis could...and andy actually made money off those paintings.

    isn't it the same thing?

    i mean....i'm an artist myself....i can make a drawing, painting, sprite work, animation of anything i want under the sun...invoking artist license, .........from he-man, to mlp, to gi joe, to elvis, to marylin monroe, to optimus prime, any damn thing i want.

    as long as i don't make any money off of someone else's intellectual property thats been trademarked or copyrighted.....as far as i know i think nothing can obstruct me.

    i mean, artists have rights too. they have rights to depict images, hell, any image they want, even images that are copyrighted & trademarked...as long as they don't make any money off those copyrighted/trademarked images they're depicting.

    so whats the problem here?

     

    i mean, if i wanna make a 2D sprited based facsimile of SF4....i think i can...legally can.

    i just can't make a single dollar my work though.

    as long as i dont make a profit from the mugen SF4 clone, how can capcom block me from making it?

    what would their argument be in court that i'm hurting their business if i'm not making a profit from my personally hand drawn sprite based mugen SF4?

     


    The argument would be that Mane6 has blurred the line between an official and unofficial work and has been trying to pass off his game as something that has the official Hasbro license. Campbell's had considered suing Andy Warhol but decided not to for the simple reason that there's not much incentive for them to chase after an artist providing free publicity. There would have been not much incentive for Hasbro to clamp down on FIM either if it's just a small little game made to entertain a bunch of bronies, but the issue comes when Mane6 tried to do more than that and tried to act as if he owed the MLP license. Even back when FIM was at the EVO facebook poll Mane6 should have told everyone "thanks, but we do not own the MLP license and we do not have the rights to decide if the game can appear at EVO, so please don't put the game at EVO". Instead he was coy, said that he would love to see the game at EVO but doubt that he can finish the game in time. That is what which caused Hasbro to freak out and cause them to bring the C&D hammer down.

    How much money you can make from a copyright you don't own is irrelevant compared to how much you have damaged the copyright's value, and by trying to pass off the game as an official work Hasbro has the rights to determine if FIM is damaging their brand value. Once again, what if Hasbro wants to make an official MLP fighting game in the future? Do they even want to see toys aimed at girls associated with fighting?
    Post edited by scytheavatar on
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    ForsakenM~ wrote: »
    <br />
    You've done nothing but try to get a rise out of the bronies here, all you're posts being negative, and yet to no success....<br />
    <br />
    So, why still make worthless attempts I wonder...
    Way to take the bait.

    Axl_m4ster wrote: »

    Axl_m4ster said:<br />

    <br />
      i still don't understand how hasbro can obstruct the creation/continuation of the indie project known as fighting is magi? <br />
     
    That's the crux of this discussion unfortunately.  The reason you don't understand is because you don't know the actual laws that are in force here, I would imagine not the Judicial process either.

    While I am a legal professional, this is not my Discipline.  Even though I am read on the subject, I would never represent myself because there's a reason we spend years studying single Disciplines of Law.  Even then there are those who specialise in this area, and even some Judges, who do not know the law accurately.  The amount of times I've seen people attempt to apply for a Shared Residence Order, where the parties have been resident together for a period of time that renders previous Orders null and no one else in Court realises this is the case, is boggling.


    So to quickly address two points:
    1. Fan art, and fan work, is illegal.  It is commonly assumed by artists such as yourself and I that it is perfectly fine exactly because everyone is doing it.  There is no such thing as artistic licence to the law.  The fact of the matter is that most of us will never have to worry about this; but consider that J K Rowling has successfully sued Harry Potter fans for their fan work.  Googling fan art legality will answer a fair few of your questions in this regard.

    2. Andy Warhol was successfully sued over Flowers for his use of imagery that he did not own.  Just because people did not bring lawsuits against him, did not mean that he wasn't vulnerable to them.

    3.  Everybody uses torrents, but that does not make it legal.

    Please don't use precedence outside of Court to dictate your view on the Law.  We do not have a Jaywalking law in the UK, so I was entirely shocked when I was pulled up on it in America.  The fact that I had no idea about the law did not stop it existing, nor did it stop most of the people I encountered ignoring it.  However, in some States you can in fact be required to attend Court over such a thing. 


    There is actually only a tiny difference between you and I producing art and sharing it, and us producing art and sharing it after we have formally been instructed by legal advisors for the IP holders that we are not to proceed less we face Court proceedings, but that difference is a galaxy wide.  Hasbro could have the Court issue a summons, failure to attend would result in Hasbro getting pretty much whatever they reasonably request of the Judge.


    Ultrachen TV: Episode - Law and Horseder
    http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/366859008

    Ultra David is usually happy to answer any questions you have on this aspect of the Law, and his legal Disciplines are far closer than mine with regard to this subject.
  • Spiku NightlySpiku Nightly Joined: Posts: 97
    With regard to scytheavatar:

    You're correct in some regards, but I think some of the language is a little unfair;  Mane6 have never acted to suggest they own the licence and have always stated that they do not have a licence, that they do not represent Hasbro, and that everything is used without permission; this was stated on every About Us, at the bottom of their pages, and in their FAQs.  The original poll FiM was a write in response, and no one believed it would make any real difference.  When MLP was entered as a possible Evo option, Mane6 were surprised and attempted to issue damage control and contacted Evo.

    Mane6 is also a team, and there is no basis to suggest that it was Evo presence that caused the proverbial hammer (or gavel) to come down.  Remember there had been a gamespot editorial as well, and that legal processes can take months.  When I was working for the Home Office we had a full 16 month gap before one of our issuing papers were served on the other party!


    Now what I think you are trying to refer to is either exactly what Ultra David refers to in Law and Horseder, or that an argument can be made that as the characters are indistinguishable from the IP in design and character and for them to proceed would mean that as far as the law is concerned there is an implied licence.  Something MAD TV's My Little Pony shorts do not have to worry about as it is clear parody.
  • PsychoJoshPsychoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 3,145
    So basically this game is "Marvel but with a twist!".

    How disappointing and unoriginal.

    Like, no, I was actually giving it a chance and seeing for myself what the gameplay was like that you guys are wetting your panties over. I thought maybe your standards for fighting games weren't nearly as abysmal as they were for cartoons and I was proven wrong. It's seriously as unimaginative and dull as I expected it to be.
    You've done nothing but try to get a rise out of the bronies here, all you're posts being negative, and yet to no success....

    So, why still make worthless attempts I wonder...
    I posted nothing but REAL facts and REAL sentiment, if you're going to delude yourself into thinking my factual statements are a "fake" troll attempt then that's your problem.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ForsakenM~ForsakenM~ Joined: Posts: 131
    So basically this game is "Marvel but with a twist!".

    How disappointing and unoriginal.

    Like, no, I was actually giving it a chance and seeing for myself what the gameplay was like that you guys are wetting your panties over. I thought maybe your standards for fighting games weren't nearly as abysmal as they were for cartoons and I was proven wrong. It's seriously as unimaginative and dull as I expected it to be.
    You've done nothing but try to get a rise out of the bronies here, all you're posts being negative, and yet to no success....

    So, why still make worthless attempts I wonder...
    I posted nothing but REAL facts and REAL sentiment, if you're going to delude yourself into thinking my factual statements are a "fake" troll attempt then that's your problem.
    Never said that your statements didn't express either fact or your opinion accurately. I merely stated that every post you made in this topic was negative and written in such a way to potentially annoy others. That, and your last post is technically contradictory: you say that you 'Like, no, I was actually giving it a chance and seeing for myself what the gameplay was like that you guys are wetting your panties over.' You then two sentences later say 'It's seriously as unimaginative and dull as I expected it to be.' That is proof that you didn't look at it with a clear conscience, but with your negative attitude: You had already decided it was going to be bad before-hand, and therefore you didn't actually give it a chance.

    Since I don't know you very well, I'm not going to say that your reason for looking at it with a previously hateful attitude is the same as most: the fact that the characters are MLP characters. Whether it is or isn't doesn't change the fact that people pre-judge games for stupid reasons without ever playing it with a clear conscience, and that can make or break a game, whether that game is decent or not in the long run.
    Current Goal: Straightening out my life.

    PSN: ForsakenM

    UMVC3: Hulk/G-Rida/Sentinel; MK9: Quan Chi; SG: Big Band; UNS3: Mifune, Asuma, Tenten; Injustice: Doomsday, Batgirl; MvC2: Ken/Juggernaut/Cpt. Commando;
Sign In or Register to comment.