The Guile Thread

No_CigarNo_Cigar close but.......Joined: Posts: 2,173
Guile
Air Splitting Techniques
character_guile.jpg
A military man who specializes in hand-to-hand combat. In the past, he had a countless number of encounters in the battlefield, and understands that war requires callousness. While he is not one to talk much, he has a strong sense of justice. Guile receives orders from his superiors to travel to Antarctica in order to secretly investigate a mysterious that box that landed there.
Move List:
1687r6x.jpg

Spoiler:
· "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Comments

• CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time we got a Guile thread. :tup:
    NickRocks: Magneto...fuck magneto sellout pussy whiteknight puts himself on a team with all girls. Like that boy on the cheerleadin squad, hanging out with mad girls but sleeping with none.
  • No_CigarNo_Cigar close but....... Joined: Posts: 2,173
    Anyone feel free to post "good" gameplay or whatever, and I'll add it to the first post. I'm going to make a move list, but it might take a while lol.
    · "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Lion's Roar Joined: Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    About time we got a Guile thread. :tup:

Lol, you know you could've made it.
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Blitz the Ambassador / B-Real / Ladi6 / Nas / Boney M. / Slick Rick
  • BrennanBrennan IT'S NOT A TUNA! Joined: Posts: 1,011
    Now we can make punny titles for character threads?
    ~~
    TTT2: Alisa/ Ganryu - A.Ogre/Unknown | KoF XIII: Ash - Mature - Vice AH3: Eko
  • SlayersliceSlayerslice Joined: Posts: 1,665
    At E3 there was a insanely good Guile player, he made Guile look broken, like pinning people down in the corner with his great normals and Sonic Boom, if you jump and you AA with his HK, you can combo off it.
    Streetfighter X Tekken: I was raised on Tekken.
    Now we can make punny titles for character threads?

lol I didn't know we couldn't. oops.
    At E3 there was a insanely good Guile player, he made Guile look broken, like pinning people down in the corner with his great normals and Sonic Boom, if you jump and you AA with his HK, you can combo off it.

Can you find it, or do you remember his other teammate?
    I was looking for it on Youtube just now, I can't find it.. but he did win the E3 tournament with Guile.
  • CryohCryoh Rock Shock Thunderous Beat Joined: Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, you know you could've made it.
    True, but I'm not one to start threads, since that means that I would then have to be tasked with upkeep. I'd rather contribute.
    NickRocks: Magneto...fuck magneto sellout pussy whiteknight puts himself on a team with all girls. Like that boy on the cheerleadin squad, hanging out with mad girls but sleeping with none.
    lol I didn't know we couldn't. oops.

Yeah, when did that become a rule?
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Blitz the Ambassador / B-Real / Ladi6 / Nas / Boney M. / Slick Rick
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Legend of Revengeance Joined: Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, when did that become a rule?

In the General thread before this game got it's own section.
    Really? I don't see it hurting anybody?

Here is Guile's move-list
    1687r6x.jpg
    lol, the title was good while it lasted.

Also charged sonic booms will be so good for zoning. It's like a feint in itself, you can literally time it for people to land on it if they jump.

Also Guile's gdlk pokes being chainable. I think the fact that his moves are chainable will help him, and also all charge characters.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 459

After looking around 2:22 in the video, I see that guile can now combo his upside down kick into his sweep. It looked like a link. For a while I was worried that his sonic boom got a longer startup but now I realize it's just people charging it slightly. Haha, looks pretty cool. I always liked guile's sonic boom startup pose.

bold test italics test underline test strikeout test subscript test superscript test blue test size test

Mend and Defend

SSFIV AE 2012:
    xbox gamertag: Learis1
    chars played (best to worst): Fei Long, Yang, Chun-Li, Sagat, Cammy, Guile
  • VanisherVanisher Joined: Posts: 79
    Not sure if everyone knows but if you air throw someone into a sonic boom it will combo.
  • PakmanPakman Guile FTW! Joined: Posts: 441
    So you know how you can charge moves and get supers, would it be possible for Guile to land GHK into a charged SH?

I.e. whilst charging down+forward and punch (assuming any forward motion will work in this case) you would hit roundhouse kick for GHK then release punch for the SH to connect?
  • chrisofrays{)chrisofrays{) Yoga symphony Joined: Posts: 423
    So you know how you can charge moves and get supers, would it be possible for Guile to land GHK into a charged SH?

I.e. whilst charging down+forward and punch (assuming any forward motion will work in this case) you would hit roundhouse kick for GHK then release punch for the SH to connect?

if you can super cancel flash kick in this game. you could possibly do GHK, Flash Kick, Sonic Huricane?
    SF4:Vega,juri
    BlazBlue: Tao,Tagger
    Peggle: Warren Rabbit
    Monopoly: Top Hat (Top Tier)
  • gilleygilley 3D Aminator Joined: Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    There's no dizzy in SFxT which is a buff for Guile. I heard S-Kill talking about tech rolling and how "it might or might not have a downside to it. There was a certain original SF character who likes to crouch down a lot, where tech rolling is reallly good". This statement kind of implies that Guile's SB/poking game is going to be fine in SFxT.
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
  • REALPLAYERREALPLAYER Joined: Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    still a firm believer that guile and dhalsim will be difficult to deal with in this system, but we'll see considering the changes to the system over the months.
    Mag/Dorm/Sent; Wolv/Dorm/Verg; Dante/Trish/others; Mag/VJoe/RR; Skrull/Nova/Spenc; Tron/Frank/others; Wesk/Dog/Akuma; Morr/MODOK/others; Nova/IM/Strange; Hawk/Dorm/Sent; Skrull/Chris/Doom; Hag/Hulk/Doom; Hag/Spenc/others; Tron/Spenc/Shulk; Hulk/Skrull/Shulk; Shulk/Task/Akuma; Morr/Strange/Phnx; GR/Nova/Phnx; Tron/Thor/Phnx; Viper/VJoe/others; Viper/SkrullFank/Doom; Hulk/MODOK/Dorm; Hulk/Pool/Mag; Zero/MODOK/FB; FB/MagDogDorm/others; Spider/StormX23/HawkStrider/IMRR/GRShulk; Cap/RRDoom/HawkThor/Viper others; X23/MorrArth/TronRR/ChrisHulk; Jill/IMDoom/DanteAkuma/TaskSent; Wolv/Pool/Sent; Thor/others/Strange; Thor/Trish/Doom; others/ Nova/Thor; Dfndrs; IF/others/Fel; Tron/PW/?; others/PW/Dog; VJoe/H-Ko/Shulk; Nem/Ryu/others; others/Morr/Shuma; GR/Shulk/H-Ko/Shuma
  • PlanchePlanche Joined: Posts: 330 ✭✭
    if you can super cancel flash kick in this game. you could possibly do GHK, Flash Kick, Sonic Huricane?
    Dunno if you found out yet, but you can't cancel specials into supers in this, so no, Flash Kick/Sonic Boom cancelled into Sonic Hurricane isn't possible.
  • brianbrian Joined: Posts: 744
    I wonder if assist gems will be really good for guile. It seems like it will be really hard to do damage to him if after you've finally worked your way in, you have to deal with rolls on knockdown, crappy throws, "free" tech escapes to reset zoning for 1/2 bar and high/low/crossup escapes for one bar (escaping huge combo damage). Assuming he doesn't block/throw tech appropriately himself, in which case he gets out for zero meter as usual. Sonic hurricane looks like a very good anti air in this game though, so I dunno if that will turn out to be a better use of meter.. we'll see. Also you've got safe flashkicks in this game like in sf4, but for 1/3 of full bar rather than 1/2.

I have no idea how his normals are though. Hopefully at least sf4 level. His sonic boom seems nerfed though. By eye it looks like it has longer startup, and damdai was mentioning to me that it seemed easier to stuff on startup.
  • mtsac kidmtsac kid Joined: Posts: 1,060
    some notes from the latest build I played at Super Arcade last night

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/guile-sfxt.139464/page-2
    My favorite quote of 2010 - "No.....Nooooo...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....FUCK!!!" Mike Ross during a random AE match with Marn
    My favorite quote of 2011 - "Real men play ST" Ohnuki
    ST and 3S revival while waiting for SFxT..HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • WikumWikum Joined: Posts: 1,564
    i've noticed that guile can cancel the first hit of his sweep into the launcher animation. this got me wondering if he could potentially cancel it into boom/flash kick.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed his boom has a longer start-up animation than in SF4. I'm feeling like he may be lower tier in this game.
    SFxT: Akuma x Yoshimitsu/Lars/Jin - Rolento x Law || USF4: Rolento/Gouken || IGAU: Bane || ST/HDR: Cammy/Dee-Jay
  • PlanchePlanche Joined: Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Are you sure it's not people probably pressing the button too long before they release it, so he ends up slightly charging it for a few frame more than normal?
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭
    Hm, I actually didn't think of that. Perhaps it could be? All I know is even slightly more recovery on the boom will kick Guile down a huge notch in the tiers. He needs the best fireball possible to be a competitive character.
    SFxT: Akuma x Yoshimitsu/Lars/Jin - Rolento x Law || USF4: Rolento/Gouken || IGAU: Bane || ST/HDR: Cammy/Dee-Jay
    from all the information i've gathered, it has slightly more recovery than in sf4. but i'd take that with a huge grain of salt. i think that planche is also right in the sense that you probably just saw someone throw a slightly charged boom.

chun li can reaction super through guile's boom....but she could also do that in sf4.

from what i've heard, guile's recovery on booms is good enough that he can deal with the tekken characters b.s. think of the tekken characters like dudley for a moment. yes, dudley could duck booms, but guile could fuck him up for attempting it. however, if dudley ducks a shoto hadouken, he has enough time to punish them for it. that's probably going to translate in a similar fashion in sfxt. what we might find is guile does very well against the majority of tekken characters, yet struggles against a lot of street fighter characters (perhaps akuma/abel/sagat/dhalsim/vega/juri).
    Yo fuson, I forgot to ask you if Guile still has that stupid d+hp+hk taunt from SF4 that does absolutely nothing and you can't turn off. I've lost a few matches due to this stupid move. I can imagine getting accidental taunts when going for alpha counter if they left this thing on d+hp+hk. I've heard that taunts are done by pressing short+select. So maybe if it's still in the game, it's d+short+select.
    It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain
    Got the game. First beefy combo I found is...

corner
    j.rh > c.strong > c.strong > SB > df+rh > FK 351dmg

after a df+rh you can juggle with s.short > s.forward > s.fierce > launch chain

damn, I have to get back to work, but I want to playyyyyy
  • TensionTension 9th Kyu :( Joined: Posts: 376
    Got the game. First beefy combo I found is...

corner
    j.rh > c.strong > c.strong > SB > df+rh > FK 351dmg

after a df+rh you can juggle with s.short > s.forward > s.fierce > launch chain

damn, I have to get back to work, but I want to playyyyyy

Can you test if you can get anything else after d/f+hk? Perhaps like super or team super?
    Oh sweet, I can do j.rh > c.strong > c.strong > SB > df+rh > c.forward > f+mp > c.rh

EDIT: yeah df+rh > team super works
  • melflomilmelflomil Above Average Fighter Joined: Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭
    Can he chain into that kick that automatically puts u in a juggle state?
    KoF= Kula, Mai and looking for a 3rd member... 3rdSO= Elena... SSF4ae= Sakura, Cammy & Seth
    UMvC3= X-23, Chris Redfield & Dante... SFxT= Julia,Elena
    PSN= melflomil
    So I'm probably just going to be posting random shit I find in here. First thing is WTF?

j.fierce > s.fierce > SB > backfist doesn't work. This is guile's classic combo that's been in every game. It looks like backfist has more startup than SF4 and SB might cause just a little bit less hitstun.

The good thing I guess is df+rh combos after any SB. It has really quick startup now. Stuff like j.rh > c.strong > jab SB > df+rh > c.strong > c.strong > FK is really easy to do.

I tried juggling and then going for an airthrow, but that doesn't seem to work.

some of his trials are....
    #20 j.fierce > UDK > s.strong > EX SB > GHK > c.strong > c.strong > SH
    #19 EX SB > s.jab > s.strong > EX SB > s.jab > s.strong > EX SB > c.rh
    #18 j.short > c.jab > c.strong > EX SB > c.forward > s.rh
    #17 FK > c.strong > EX FK

every other trial is super basic stuff and not too interesting.

c.rh kick isn't super cancelable(neither is far s.fierce). You can tag cancel it though. Looks like this move might be more worthless than in SF4 since everyone can just do their fierce+rh launcher move between the kicks.

c.jab > c.jab > c.jab > ub+short > far s.forward > far s.rh is a really good chain sequence to push your opponent away while keeping charge. You could use c.forward instead if you're worried about the far s.forward wiffing.

Both guile's kara throws are still in (oh wait, you didn't know he had any :rofl: )

Kara EX FK still works. From full screen away you can wiff a kara EX FK. Then from this position if you do another kara EX FK, it will hit your opponent. 2 normal EX FK's wouldn't hit your opponent at this range.

Everyone's favorite safejump of backbreaker > wiff c.fierce > j.rh doesn't work. You will land before your opponent wakes up. This means either Guile recovers from the backbreaker faster, or his c.fierce is faster....maybe his jump is faster. I won't know till I get the frame data. In the Evo build, this safejump still worked.
  • entenfettentenfett WasiKaBooM Joined: Posts: 215
    Stuff like j.rh > c.strong > jab SB > df+rh > c.strong > c.strong > FK is really easy to do.

How much damage does he do with this and in general?
    Cool you got the game already?

How's airthrow as anti air in this game? How are his other anti airs?

How punishable is lowforward chain -> back roundhouse?

Can he do ambiguous crossup -> move sequence -> sonic boom as a tight block string?

How bad is the situation vs tekken characters in terms of their ability to punish sonic booms on reaction?
    j.fierce > s.fierce > SB > backfist doesn't work.
    wtf?
    Stuff like j.rh > c.strong > jab SB > df+rh > c.strong > c.strong > FK is really easy to do.

can you do that mid screen?
    Everyone's favorite safejump of backbreaker > wiff c.fierce > j.rh doesn't work. You will land before your opponent wakes up. This means either Guile recovers from the backbreaker faster, or his c.fierce is faster....maybe his jump is faster. I won't know till I get the frame data. In the Evo build, this safejump still worked.
    interesting. maybe whiffing back fist might work now instead?
    wtf?

can you do that mid screen?

interesting. maybe whiffing df.hk or st.mk instead might work now?

I doesn't look like you can combo df+rh after SB midscreen. Maybe on a big character like hugo perhaps. Don't have time to test stuff like that.

Also the safejump...I was testing it on kazuya. It seems he gets up from the backbreaker really really slow. I was trying the same safejump setup on another guile and it was hitting guile right as he got up(although this didn't look like it was going to safejump him). On kazuya, it looked like backbreaker > wiff neutral jump > j.rh might be a safejump on him. I wont know until I test with a buddy.

c.forward > far s.rh chain is very punishable. Another guile can block this and then backfist. So it's at least -10 and probably more on block.
    f+forward kick > far s.short > far s.forward > s.rh > launch works 0_o

You have to get the sobat to hit at the very tippy toe max range for it to work.

f+mp(overhead) > s.jab > s.strong > s.fierce > launch works 0_o

wowow! You don't have to do anything special on this one. Just do the overhead then do a tight link to s.jab.

OK this is silly, just do c.forward > f+mp > far s.jab > c.forward > c.rh.....lol. Works midscreen if you start with a point blank c.forward.

sigh, sonic hurricane is really punishable on block. I guess you just have to make sure you're always comboing into it.

after any df+rh in the corner you can juggle with c.strong > c.forward > f+strong > s.fierce > SH

j.rh > UDK > df+rh > c.strong > c.forward > f+strong > s.fierce > SH is a dope looking combo that's 10hits 452dmg

enough guile for this evening...gonna play with steve for a while...
    A few more things...

The UDK doesn't have that throw invincibility like in SF4 2012. It also doesn't get off the ground on frame 1 anymore. It feels like it gets off the ground around frame 6 or so.

EDIT: OK the range at which you can do the UDK seems to have been increased or something. Like if you record Ryu doing c.rh kicks...do a UDK as the sweep is recovering. You will see that Guile can do a UDK from even further out, and it even hits Ryu in the head. It's like Ryu's "center" is getting pushed out after the c.rh. The character's "center" is what determines the close normals and stuff. Hrm, I wonder if this is what Seth was talking about with throws. He said something about the reverse kara throws being an issue so they shortened everyone's throw range. But the character's "center" still extends out far. This is really friggin weird....

His f+mk still doesn't get off the ground as quick as like SF2/CvS2. It feels like it gets off the ground around the same time as SF4. It's safer on block though. I can't seem to block then FK it.

Everyone's saying that alpha counter is f+fierce+rh. This isn't true. All you have to do is fierce+rh. You can just mash the buttons and get alpha counter really easy. I found this out when trying to do a launcher to Rufus's sweep ender on the EX messiah kick. I eventually just tried to mash launcher and was getting alpha counter every time.
  • Jay WangJay Wang FrameDatas! Joined: Posts: 665
    damn gilley, youre all over this game hella early! :p
    good shit with all the fresh info!
    - JayWang

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!

Also the safejump...I was testing it on kazuya. It seems he gets up from the backbreaker really really slow.

this is probably because he's got the best back dash in the game (i think it's supposed to be fully invincible or fully airborne or something). probably a way to slightly balance his wakeup game out or something?

fao anyone who has this game early - can you test out anti air booms please. for example, record ryu doing jumping hk, then hit it at close range with a boom. see if you can hit him with any of these as a follow up (it might only work on counter hit):

- air throw
    - df.hk, flash kick
    - sonic hurricane
  • chrisofrays{)chrisofrays{) Yoga symphony Joined: Posts: 423
    Sweet his overhead leads into a combo!
    SF4:Vega,juri
    BlazBlue: Tao,Tagger
    Peggle: Warren Rabbit
    Monopoly: Top Hat (Top Tier)
    Well, I guess that's cool if you can combo from his overhead but.. damn that sounds like a one frame link? Im not putting up with important 1 frame links after hating that crap in sf4. Do you have to be really close for it to combo at least, so that the situation wont come up very often?
  • SimSimIVSimSimIV 2nd. in command of the SFxT Defense Force Joined: Posts: 1,242 ✭✭
    Gilley
    Are you saying you can get alpha counter while blocking? Or is it forward+FP+RH or neutral+FP+RH? If you can block while mashing FP+HK that's HUGE!

Edit: When I say "while blocking" I mean while holding backwards or down back. I am aware that it was previously thought to be forward+FP+RH, but while in block animation.
    Simsimiv: Little known fact: Tatsu shaved his head for SFxT
    Shaniril: I thought he shaved his head for the children
    Tatsunical: for the sfxt playing children
    Tatsunical: the children that play marvel can go f**k themselves
    Gilley
    Are you saying you can get alpha counter while blocking? Or is it forward+FP+RH or neutral+FP+RH? If you can block while mashing FP+HK that's HUGE!

Edit: When I say "while blocking" I mean while holding backwards or down back. I am aware that it was previously thought to be forward+FP+RH, but while in block animation.

you have to be in block animation to get an alpha counter. You can also be holding any direction(even neutral) while literally mashing fierce+rh. Alpha counter is really really easy now that I found this out. It's not as hard as people said before. There is a small window to do it, but if someone is putting you in a bunch of block stun, you can just sit there mashing fierce+rh the same way you can mash DP while in block stun in SF4. Something like Rufus's EX messiah is alpha counter bait. Although dont do the alpha counter too early or the invincibility on the EX messiah will overpower the invincibility of guile's FK. EX messiah still has tons of invincibility.
  • SimSimIVSimSimIV 2nd. in command of the SFxT Defense Force Joined: Posts: 1,242 ✭✭
    This is good information mate! Especially for us who play defensive characters! Sim here though, but he will benefit a bunch too!:D
    Holy crap, I just played with alpha counter some more. It seems like only guile can do this. I can't mash alpha counter with a couple other characters I tested. They have to do f+fierce+rh. This is really really good for guile and probably a glitch. I don't have time to test every single character with this. Maybe this weekend. For now it looks like only guile can do this.

EDIT: Hahaha...you can literally just be walking up to someone like Ryu for example. If you smell that he's going to throw out a crouch kick to keep you out, just go to DB to block the kick and immediately smash fierce+rh. This is so broken. Start stocking up on those meter building gems.
    Could you please test this for Dhalsim?

Edit: Three hypotheses:
    1: All charge characters can use alpha counters this way
    2: All defensive oriented characters can use alpha counters this way
    3: It's a glitch with Guile

I think it might be nr 1. Please check?
    Could you please test this for Dhalsim?
    Dhalsim has to press f+fierce+rh for his AC. Even f+fierce+rh is pretty easy to do for the other characters. It's just really really easy for guile.

EDIT: I already tried for other charge characters. It's the first thing I thought of. The other charge characters have to do f+fierce+rh.
    Dhalsim has to press f+fierce+rh for his AC. Even f+fierce+rh is pretty easy to do for the other characters. It's just really really easy for guile.
    Thank you for checking! I didn't find it too easy to use the apha counter in a real match when I had to tap forward, so I was so hype when you said you could hold back:( But I guess with more practice it is pretty easy to utilize it anyway!