No vids of US SF's 'Golden Era' & best_ever player!?

CrayfishCrayfish Oro of the FGCJoined: Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
US SF's 'Golden Era' & best_ever player!? [TOMO NOW COMING TO EVO 09!!]

Undoubtedly the greatest Street Fighter player the US ever produced, Tomo Ohira, is almost fergoten by the SF scene today. Tomo Ohira was the Daigo of his day, a world famous player during the height of Street Fighter's 'Golden Era'. All the way back in 93, well before we had even heard of the internet, even the small SF scene in my English home town knew abt Tomo. I still remember first reading the interview with him in the back of the GamePro SF2: Hyperfighting guidebook.

In todays thriving competetive SF scene, with its huge online community, world tournaments and plentiful video footage, its a great shame that western SF's Golden Era and its greatest ever player, Tomo, are so little known.

What is needed more than anything else is footage of Tomo and other great players at the pinacle of the Hyperfighting scene. This was the absolute zenith of oldschool StreetFighter skillz. Hyperfighting at its peak was as thrilling as todays Japanese ST scene. Fast and tactical, with many fergoten abt beast like Shoto killing TAP Rog, Vert Ball Blanka & Low Lariat Geif all up there battling with the trad top tier of Ryu, Guile and Sagat. And in a time before Supers, Hyperfighting was the highpoint of oldschool combo skill, with amazing, high damage, re-dizzy & 'CPS1 Chain' combos the likes of which are rarely seen in super_move focused ST.
To the olsschool players out there harbouring these nuggets on dusty VHS tapes under thier beds, please share it with the community.

It would also be cool if SRK did an interview with Tomo and other great players like Jeff Schaefer (who's recent Hyper SF2 comback challenge against Daigo was a great missed opportunity for a history lesson in Oldschool skills) or invited them to make a guest appearance at Evo, giving out the prizes.

Crayfish.

EDIT: Well 4 years on from this thread and it seems like Tomo may be making an appearance at Evo 09! I don't know if Tomo will have any official/ceremonial position as I had proposed above, but it seems he may be making an appearance in some for or another. Tomo's long time friend Mike Watson has started a thread here to test the waters to see if there is enough interest. Ofcouse you all want to meet Tomo no? Get over there:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=176784

EDIT EDIT:
He didn't phisicaly come, but he 'was' there, thanks to Mike:

Comments

• PSXPSX THE WHOLE FUCKEN SHOW Joined: Posts: 769
    I remember when i stayed at Apocs place he was telling me about the Tomo teaches SF tape. If anyone got that please rip it!!!!
    When asked about studying frame data Watson replied, "Fuck that shit, homie. OGs didn't have to study frame data back in the day because there were so many good players. Seriously"
  • CrayfishCrayfish Oro of the FGC Joined: Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    PSX wrote:
    Tomo teaches SF tape

Wow, I never even heard of that, that sounds amazing! Apoc, fill us in pls...
  • AbhiAbhi Best Team EVER Joined: Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I asked Apoc that question when I joined and he told me . those times people didn't have camcorders
    I'm like an Hadoken

I'm like Down Right Fierce
    Abhi wrote:
    I asked Apoc that question when I joined and he told me . those times people didn't have camcorders

?Apoc had told me before that he had hyperfighting era footage that hed had left at an ex-gf's house, also Jeff Schaefer has footage of peak era Tomo (now if he would only contribute it). Act would also love to see good quality versions of his complete Hyper SF2 comeback challenge against Daigo. Jeff....?
  • glassglass half empty Joined: Posts: 555
    Crayfish wrote:
    ... great players like Jeff Schaefer (who's recent Hyper SF2 comback challenge against Daigo was a great missed opportunity for a history lesson in Oldschool skills)...

i've got no doubt that Schaefer's good, but what about the notion that the HF/CE characters are pretty damned strong in general?
    No rest for the wicked.
    glass wrote:
    i've got no doubt that Schaefer's good, but what about the notion that the HF/CE characters are pretty damned strong in general?

There are some balance issues in Hyper esp with WW & CE characters, that I dont really want to go into that on this thread. But with regards to the Daigo vs Schaefer matches it wasn't really an issue for me. For starters Daigo was playing ST.Boxer and ST.O.Sagat,and Schaefer was playing C.E. Guile for the most part.

imo HF charas vs most ST charas is nicely balanced. CE charas vs ST.Boxer & ST.O.Sagat is fair too.

If you watch those matches, Schaefer just knew many of the matches way better than Daigo (Daigo is the least knowlegable & most tactical limitedy of the top Jap ST players, tho I regard as the most naturaly talanted and best allround street fighter player ever). Watch the Guile vs O.Sagat matches for instance, Scheafer played that match text book, landing all the drop-down HP against low Tigers, knee after nulified Tiger counters even walk in throws. Plus Schaefer was coming back from an 11 YEAR layoff!

The point is, the players from that era were top class., they have knowlege of the pre-ST Street Fighters that is far beyond ours, and they dont get the props they deserve.
  • Spooty WhiteboySpooty Whiteboy I must break you! Joined: Posts: 2,774
    I heard, from this site actually, that Tomo's "manager" paid people to lose the finals.

I don't mean to belittle or defame him; but that's what I heard. Anyone confirm?
    Live Tag: Spootz
    PSN: SPTwhte

"There's a complicated answer to that question. You see, I think we could all know Batman in our hearts, if we just intensely and obsessively study all of his comics, tv shows, movies...and..
    No. I don't really know Batman." - Dr. McNinja
  • Nos99Nos99 Science Scrub Joined: Posts: 4,652
    Crayfish wrote:
    If you watch those matches, Schaefer just knew many of the matches way better than Daigo (Daigo is the least knowlegable & most tactical limitedy of the top Jap ST players, tho I regard as the most naturaly talanted and best allround street fighter player ever). Watch the Guile vs O.Sagat matches for instance, Scheafer played that match text book, landing all the drop-down HP against low Tigers, knee after nulified Tiger counters even walk in throws. Plus Schaefer was coming back from an 11 YEAR layoff!

Where can I watch these matches to? Are they available for download anywhere?

..and was Schaefer REALLY gone for 11 years? maybe not hardcore into it, but didn't he still play at the EVOs and whatnot?
    I heard, from this site actually, that Tomo's "manager" paid people to lose the finals.

I don't mean to belittle or defame him; but that's what I heard. Anyone confirm?

I never heard that, but I find it highly unlikely. If you speak to any of the old school players, Watson, Apoc, Schaefer they will tell you Tomo was undoubtedly the best player. He never met his match in the US, and there were no international tourneys back then, tho there was some talk I beleive of his manager taking him to Japan. Unfortunatly I dont think this ever happened tho.

It would be interesting to get Kuni's imput on this (Yes team Japan, expert Geif at Evo Kuni). He actually used to be part of the same west coast scene as Tomo, his name is even on the ranking list behind Tomo in the Gamepro strategy guide. He is quoted as saying that Japan only had 1 or 2 players of Tomo's level.
    Nos99 wrote:
    Where can I watch these matches to? Are they available for download anywhere?

..and was Schaefer REALLY gone for 11 years? maybe not hardcore into it, but didn't he still play at the EVOs and whatnot?

1.)The origonal thread where they were posted was here (unfortunately it was beseiged by ignorant Daigo fanboys who I imagine discouraged Jeff for bothering to post any more footage) links are dead btw: http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1719292&highlight=schaefer

If you really want them, I will share them with you on goforbroke. PM me :)
    What we really want is high quality re-captures of these movies, the ones released were terrible grainy .mov files.

2.) Yes, Schaefer didnt play competetively for 11 years. He and Tomo apparently still play eachother casual, at one of thier homes. From how well Jeff played, and the fact he said Tomo still beats him, Tomo must be damned good even now.

EDIT. IF someone, could offer capturing know-how and hosting space, I'm sure it would be a great help in encouraging Jeff and others to contribute footage.
  • SaBrESaBrE BAI BAI Joined: Posts: 4,495 mod
    uhm shaeffer played sf up to the a2 era. a2 came out in 1996. he competed at b3 (a2 tourney) with his ken which i think might have been in 1997 IIRC. either way tho, hes was out of the loop for a while.

i seen the tomo teaches sf tape. i know someone that still has the original. its not really that great. its just basics on how to do specials, and how to do some realistic combos. and its a really cheesy video, i cant stress that part enough lol
    AZ fighting game crew, team hAZmat

www.teamhazmataz.com

www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat
    SaBrE wrote:
    uhm shaeffer played sf up to the a2 era. a2 came out in 1996. he competed at b3 (a2 tourney) with his ken which i think might have been in 1997 IIRC. either way tho, hes was out of the loop for a while.

i seen the tomo teaches sf tape. i know someone that still has the original. its not really that great. its just basics on how to do specials, and how to do some realistic combos. and its a really cheesy video, i cant stress that part enough lol

I stand corrected on the dates. Like you say tho Sabre, its a long time.

Was it a tape put out by Gamepro or someone, or Tomo himself? I remeber one that come with a UK magazine for SNES SF2:WW, and that was cheesy too. Which version was it for btw? Would still really like to see it, as a historical document, cheesy or not. Would there be any chance of your friend capturing it?
  • watsonwatson Joined: Posts: 1,345

I don't mean to belittle or defame him; but that's what I heard. Anyone confirm? -

LOL
    this was 1 time, and 1 time only. and it was done strictly as a business proposition and he had no idea of it. there are a few people that were witness to this and can vouch for it so dont say watson is full of shit. cole was there, grahm wolfe was there, your o-so-great mr 10th place or whatever thomas osaki was there. this was at the greatest clash of pre-internet nor-cal vs so cal tournament ever!! BAMA. stupid choi went to a wrestling tournament that day so ill keep his name out of it. the rest is in an issue of gamepro for all you hardcore SF players if interested.

my real reason to come to this thread is, no videos were ever taken back during this time. hell man, who could a afford a cam corder back then and who was strong enough to lug around a 50 portable vid cam?? ok well, to put this all at rest, tomo was hands down the best from SF2-HF. after that, im sure we all know this and that.

p.s. i have a old old school SF commercial i will try to find, im sure you will all get a kick out of it. pz

watts
    Super Arcade is the official host for WNF and TRB!
    follow us on twitter for updates on events and out of town visitors
    http://twitter.com/#!/SuperDojo
    come check out one of the last arcades before its too late!!!
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Crayfish wrote:
    I stand corrected on the dates. Like you say tho Sabre, its a long time.

Was it a tape put out by Gamepro or someone, or Tomo himself? I remeber one that come with a UK magazine for SNES SF2:WW, and that was cheesy too. Which version was it for btw? Would still really like to see it, as a historical document, cheesy or not. Would there be any chance of your friend capturing it?

Haha, you mean the Mean Machines SF2 video with Julian Rignall and Gary Harrod?:rofl: "Dragon punches ahoy, Combos a'plenty!"
  • nothingxsnothingxs EVO Head TO Joined: Posts: 1,688
    I'd like to see those videos too, of Schaefer vs Daigo, if possible.
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.streamload.com/ShinjiGohan/SF2AE/

AFAIK those were the only copies of the matches. If someone has a higher quality version of those matches please share.
  • FMJaguarFMJaguar Joined: Posts: 2,729 admin
    watson wrote:
    ok well, to put this all at rest, tomo was hands down the best from SF2-HF. after that, im sure we all know this and that.

p.s. i have a old old school SF commercial i will try to find, im sure you will all get a kick out of it. pz

watts

http://media.putfile.com/Street-Fighter-commercial

not sure if it's what you were gonna post.
  • MiddlekickMiddlekick r.mika stalker Joined: Posts: 604
    i believe Shaeffer played sf up to A3 and retired -- from A3 at least -- shortly before Daigo made his way stateside for the nationals.
  • ShinJNShinJN President/COO & Co-Founder of Level Up, LLC, Event & Stream Director/Producer, Old School Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    FMJaguar wrote:
    http://media.putfile.com/Street-Fighter-commercial

not sure if it's what you were gonna post.

lol... That damn video is a shame to the original SNES version of the commercial. They even use SNES video clips! Electronics Boutique loaned out the SNES version of the commercial for people that pre-ordered the game. I must've watched that thing 20 times in a row. I should've just kept the tape and pay the fee EB was going to charge if I didn't return the tape. lol.

The best part of that commerical is the "IMPROVED GRAPHICS AND SOUND" portion. Genesis version was a piece of trash.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    Level Up, LLC - COO, CFO, CTO, Tech/Production/Stream/Event Director - www.levelup-productions.com, www.levelup-series.com
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2409761/#Comment_2409761
  • LAAkumaLAAkuma Joined: Posts: 74
    thanks
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    heh too bad you didn't experience Gian's Dhalsim last evo.
  • SuperSamyonSuperSamyon Ryu is Strong Joined: Posts: 276
    Hey Jeff. In this thread: http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68090&page=7&highlight=schaefer

you mentioned something about writing a book with Tomo with footage included. What ever became of that project?
    Ready for some 3rd Strike Online! Old gamertag: Malaguena
  • _MJ_#R_MJ_#R gfbnews.blogspot.com Joined: Posts: 1,592
    the only '93 footage I have is this SF2 Turbo tourney from Korea.
    GFB News - gfbnews.blogspot.com - match videos updated daily
    ComboVideos - combovideos.com - for your CV needs
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,815
    This thread is pure gold. Reading Jeff's post and watching him handle Daigo's Sagat brought a rush of nostalgia, although I never saw any play of that level in person back in the old-school era (I know that vid was AE, but still...)

As for that commercial, seeing that dude say that the Genesis version was even better than the arcade still cracks me up. It's twice as authentic when you have half the buttons :clap:
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi
    thanks
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,815
    Is there anything specific you and rest of the oldschool crew did to develop/maintain your freakish reaction time (besides play the shit out of SF), or is that just a genetic trait that can't be taught?
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi
  • Jay WangJay Wang FrameDatas! Joined: Posts: 665
    oh god
    can someone PLEASE upload these jeff vs daigo videos???

www.rapidshare.de

or any free hosting site!

PLEASE!

i am dying to see old, old school
    !
    - JayWang

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!
  • TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    Is there anything specific you and rest of the oldschool crew did to develop/maintain your freakish reaction time (besides play the shit of SF), or is that just a genetic trait that can't be taught?

Yes, I'd like to know this as well... I've been training my reflexes for a while now so I can be able to execute moves faster and more efficiently.
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    LAAkuma wrote:
    I used to carry a card, "Ill put you int he corner in 20 seconds, and your dead in 60 or your money back" lol its true.

oh shit so that's who you are. weren't you in the ST guide?
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    Have fun.

Jeff
  • watsonwatson Joined: Posts: 1,345
    jeff is my homie irl. we still play DOTA together believe it or not. reactions are a skill that can be honed but i believe some are more gifted than others in this region. anyhow, i do have a commercial i would like to share. hope you all get a kick out of it like i did. and im 100% sure none of you have seen it. 100%

ill post it later when i can rip it
    pz
    mike

tomo, if you are out there, http://www.gocomics.com/breaking-cat-news jeff wont gimme your #, so hit me up foo. PM me and ill drop you a line

lates
    Super Arcade is the official host for WNF and TRB!
    follow us on twitter for updates on events and out of town visitors
    http://twitter.com/#!/SuperDojo
    come check out one of the last arcades before its too late!!!
  • KyokujiKyokuji Needlessly Perverted Joined: Posts: 2,926
    "IMPROVED GRAPHICS AND SOUND"

Well, the SNES version did have better music.
    They pimped the fuck out of Ken, Blanka, Sagat, and Balrog's themes.
    I loved the chill remix of Sagat's theme. I still prefer it to the original.
    "Getting herpes on your face is not a cost-saving solution."
    More oldschool sharing. This is the most comprehensive WW bugvid, from the now defunct CLN1.com. I knew some of these, freeze, handcuff magic throw etc.. but had never seen Guile flying off the screen beating people up!:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7666627/CLN1_-_SF2BUG.wmv.html

Quote: ShinjiGohan
    AFAIK those were the only copies of the matches. If someone has a higher quality version of those matches please share.

Thanks for posting those up ShinjiGoha. I really liked the vid you had in the AE folder 'KurtvsVietHSF2AE_1.mpg'. Was cool seeing Hyper Blanka in action. Do you have any more of these?

Quote: _MJ_#R
    the only '93 footage I have is this SF2 Turbo tourney from Korea.

Is that the snes one? Where they have that wierd cartoon head commentary on the replays? Would be cool to share that.

Quote: Ex_mosquito
    Haha, you mean the Mean Machines SF2 video with Julian Rignall and Gary Harrod? "Dragon punches ahoy, Combos a'plenty!"

Lol, no shit, I remember that. I remember they had SF2 challenges on Games Master, I think with Julian Rignal commentary!
  • Joe ZazaJoe Zaza R.I.P. Dasrik Joined: Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    (Dasrik posting)

Man, I was talking with someone about Tomo Ohira a week ago or so. I never saw him play; he's pretty much legendary. The kind of character that doesn't hold back on anyone (which is what he is known for).

It's not a character trait that is valued anymore. The advent of MvC2 and roll cancelling makes it so everyone has to try their best or just never get to play. I'm not quite sure why that is.

The Internet's really spoiled people, I think. Most people don't even know who Tomo Ohira is unless they've seen Sirlin's website, or happen upon this thread. Maybe this is just Street Fighter or a game or whatnot, but a lot of SRK guys would do well to learn by his example.

Mr. Schaeffer, I've said it before, but it's good to see you posting again. *bows*

...ohgodimsuchafag...
    confidence and bravery
  • NKINKI Mashers Joined: Posts: 1,788
    Jeff: My offer to host video still stands. Any old school footage you have, I can get hosted, and I can even capture it for you if you don't have the time.

I know a couple of people were wanting higher quality encodings of those matches with Daigo, and I can take care of that for you too if you can send a copy of the tape. I can even pay for shipping.
    It was a fun ten years.

http://nki.combovideos.com
    Thanks to BlazeD and Preppy for hosting!
  • SNkNuTSNkNuT Joined: Posts: 427
    It seems that SF: AE videos are a rarity. Do you guys know where I can find more AE match vids?
    Currently Playing:
    KOF XI, NGBC, WHP, MotW, SSC, LB 2, MSA, KOF 98 UM
  • DecoyDecoy You better block. Joined: Posts: 497
    Jeff,

Do you have any other vids of your Blanka vs Daigo or anyone else other than the one that was posted? I'd like to see ST Ryu vs Turbo Blanka.

~Decoy
    XBL Tag: Real Decoy
  • dbycrashdbycrash i'm here to rule pants. Joined: Posts: 254
    i love hearing about old school shit in general... just reminds us all of better times methinks....

anyway... i was always told that HF ken is a better overall character than HF ryu.... can you validate this jeff, or call it out as bs? thanks in advance.
    random since 91'
  • ramzaramza hmmm Joined: Posts: 2,481
    Joe Zaza wrote:
    (Dasrik posting)

Man, I was talking with someone about Tomo Ohira a week ago or so. I never saw him play; he's pretty much legendary. The kind of character that doesn't hold back on anyone (which is what he is known for).

It's not a character trait that is valued anymore. The advent of MvC2 and roll cancelling makes it so everyone has to try their best or just never get to play. I'm not quite sure why that is.

Could you clarify, I really didn't get your connection. Tomo never held back, which isn't valued anymore. Now everyone must try their best or else they don't play. :wtf:
    Are YOU still single?!?!?
    R.I.P Reggie Etheridge

He tortured me...with his awfulness
    To those who haven't made thier way over to the Korea SF2:CE thread yet do so post haste. He's just posted some videos from his visit to the Shanghai China CE community. These matches abe abso top class oldschool, this Ryu player for instance is awsome. Huge CPS1 chains at every opening:
    http://mediafile.paran.com/MEDIA_5307808/BLOG/200510/1129981829_05.wmv
    http://mediafile.paran.com/MEDIA_5860869/BLOG/200510/1129982160_08.wmv
    The thread starts here:
    http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102064

CPS1 Chains are explained here:
    http://www.video-opera.com/features/f0016.php

QUOTE: Decoy.
    Do you have any other vids of your Blanka vs Daigo or anyone else other than the one that was posted? I'd like to see ST Ryu vs Turbo Blanka.

Decoy, there is one match here. Even tho Jeff loses this one, I learned alot abt HF Blanka in terms of positioning, footsies and jumping from watching this.
    filename: ryuvsblankalose