Television General Discussion

Comments

• dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Million wrote: »
    yeah, from watching the Aftershow of it... now I'm wondering how The Strain would've turned out if Guillermo continued to be involved... apparently he kinda walked away before season 1 was even over! :lol: Odd... I thought season 1 was good... good enough to at least keep me hooked and interested in the future of the show.

My only disappointment right from the start was in how weak the common vampires are. They can be killed in such normal/boring ways... like they aren't much different from zombies. If you shoot them enough times they'll die... you don't even need special bullets either. They can even be killed just by hitting them hard enough.. like you take a baseball bat to their face a few times...they're done, just like an ordinary human...or if you run over them with a moderately fast-moving vehicle......and really, that's just lame, man.

I do enjoy the idea of there being a hierarchy of the species... but the vampire should always be more difficult to kill than a normal human..even the low-level ones. This is one of the things CW's shows got right... over those shows, you have only a few very specific ways to kill them (the usual- stake to the heart; burning to death in the sunlight [with no enchanted object protecting them], or cutting their heads off), and anything that falls short of that is ineffective.

Im gonna watch it after work. Does it stack up to the book ending?
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2017
    I finally finished it... there's quite a few differences...well, spoiler tag even though few other people seem to care about this show/book story (and for whatever strange reason; only a few of us even read this thread)
    like for one, my honey Nora was still alive to the end. Also; Gus was killed...and damn he went out hardcore, man... stood his ground trying to shoot down Stoneheart helicopters while getting eventually torn up in a hail of gunfire.

The Occido Lumen was even more important...since it lead them to the site of Master's origin...which I guess he needed to be killed there for it to count. The final battle scene with Eph, Quinlan and Master also seemed more exciting and eventful in the book, imo. Also-- Eph was NOT turned in the book, and he was the one to set off the bomb...not Zach. The remains of the ancients were also there at the origin site.

The show also never referenced the connection with angels, if I recall. They probably would've done so if the show had more time... 10 episodes is quite a short season. It would've been cool to see that flashback that showed you exactly what "Master" is. It is possible that Setrakian's line in the show *kinda* hints at that---when addressing Master through Eichorst... he acknowledges that he is an ancient evil thing that has hungered for us "since the beginning" (the beginnings of the human race)...something like that.
    Minor differences to nitpick--
    Women in the "blood-camps" had their heads shaven; either the showrunners or the actresses themselves didn't want to do that level of detail for this, I assume?
    Quinlan-- in the book he does look more like "Vaughn". That whole situation is still funny to me...from what I hear, Vaughn was indeed supposed to be "Quinlan"...but something about it wasn't working out or they didn't like how that was shaping up...which is why Vaughn and his crew were unceremoniously killed off...and the character got re-introduced with the actual name "Quinlan" later. Notice that (like some other things)---there was no further reference to Vaughn at all for the rest of the series...haha like he and that crew just never existed :lol:

*edit-- I did enjoy the re-designed Quinlan more though... it is more like DMC or Blade, with the cool trenchcoat to go with the sword/gunslinger style. (*random---BRUH, how awesome would it be for someone to mod in a "Quinlan" look for Dante in one of the DMCs?! Holy shit, man.... someone should just make a Quinlan game in the same style... I'd buy it.)
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2017
    Get ready for an intense look into the world of magic and witchcraft with THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, a new one-hour dark drama/horror project based on the classic Archie Comics character. The new project is eyed to debut in The CW’s 2018-19 television season as a companion to RIVERDALE.

The new show will be written by Archie Comics Chief Creative Officer and RIVERDALE Showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, directed by Lee Toland Krieger, and produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Brothers Studios. Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schecter, Jon Goldwater, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Lee Toland Krieger serve as executive producers.

SABRINA will draw from the critically acclaimed CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA comic book series from Archie Comics written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and artist Robert Hack, detailing the compelling and shocking re-imagining of Sabrina the Teenage Witch’s occult origins. This dark coming-of-age story deals with horror, the occult, and witchcraft and will see Sabrina struggle to reconcile her dual nature of being half-witch and half-mortal while protecting her family and the world from the forces of evil.

Casting and additional news on the new series will be revealed in the months to come.

Stay up to date on the latest CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA and ‘RIVERDALE’ news by visiting the official Archie Comics website and following us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Well............okay.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,468
    Wait what?

I thought Sabrina the Teenage Witch was lighthearted comedy?

When the hell did they reboot it as dark and edgy?
    Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker
    DukeC wrote: »
    Wait what?

I thought Sabrina the Teenage Witch was lighthearted comedy?

When the hell did they reboot it as dark and edgy?

Probably following a similar route as Riverdale...............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    not everything in archie comics is lighthearted anymore.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,468
    edited September 2017
    maxx wrote: »
    not everything in archie comics is lighthearted anymore.

I grew up on the reruns of the live action tv show and watched some of the cartoon.

I didn't really read Archie comics like that to begin with, so all I knew was the show. I didn't even know she was part of the Archie universe. But I doubt my 8 year old self was paying that much attention.
    Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 67
    I finally finished it... there's quite a few differences...well, spoiler tag even though few other people seem to care about this show/book story (and for whatever strange reason; only a few of us even read this thread)
    like for one, my honey Nora was still alive to the end. Also; Gus was killed...and damn he went out hardcore, man... stood his ground trying to shoot down Stoneheart helicopters while getting eventually torn up in a hail of gunfire.

The Occido Lumen was even more important...since it lead them to the site of Master's origin...which I guess he needed to be killed there for it to count. The final battle scene with Eph, Quinlan and Master also seemed more exciting and eventful in the book, imo. Also-- Eph was NOT turned in the book, and he was the one to set off the bomb...not Zach. The remains of the ancients were also there at the origin site.

The show also never referenced the connection with angels, if I recall. They probably would've done so if the show had more time... 10 episodes is quite a short season. It would've been cool to see that flashback that showed you exactly what "Master" is. It is possible that Setrakian's line in the show *kinda* hints at that---when addressing Master through Eichorst... he acknowledges that he is an ancient evil thing that has hungered for us "since the beginning" (the beginnings of the human race)...something like that.
    Minor differences to nitpick--
    Women in the "blood-camps" had their heads shaven; either the showrunners or the actresses themselves didn't want to do that level of detail for this, I assume?
    Quinlan-- in the book he does look more like "Vaughn". That whole situation is still funny to me...from what I hear, Vaughn was indeed supposed to be "Quinlan"...but something about it wasn't working out or they didn't like how that was shaping up...which is why Vaughn and his crew were unceremoniously killed off...and the character got re-introduced with the actual name "Quinlan" later. Notice that (like some other things)---there was no further reference to Vaughn at all for the rest of the series...haha like he and that crew just never existed :lol:

*edit-- I did enjoy the re-designed Quinlan more though... it is more like DMC or Blade, with the cool trenchcoat to go with the sword/gunslinger style. (*random---BRUH, how awesome would it be for someone to mod in a "Quinlan" look for Dante in one of the DMCs?! Holy shit, man.... someone should just make a Quinlan game in the same style... I'd buy it.)

The show had good material to work from, and was marred by weird choices, like retconning Quinlan, and diverging from the source material. In the end, the show was intended for a limited run. While it jumped the shark for me at the end of Season 2, I think the producers had to deal with crafting a story that fit the constraints. It's better to end a series than to have it canceled a la Firefly, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, or Dracula.
    The cancellation of Dracula is still one that hurts me... besides always loving vampire-related shows and movies (aside from that one notorious book/movie piece of shit that will go unnamed)... I genuinely enjoyed that show too. I should've seen it coming though since it was on NBC, and they are quick to cancel anything that isn't pulling insane numbers.

*I went on and skipped to American Horror Story episode 3... for some reason it's a hassle to see episode 2 (*On Demand service here only offers the Ad-free version, which costs extra money and fuck that... I can see episode 1 OR 3 for free but not 2? Yeah I was too annoyed by this to bother.) This season is kind of silly at the moment... I'm mainly watching to check my honey Sarah Paulson... and it looks like that actress who was "Mary Carey" from Popular is on there as the blonde neighbor..? Hahah it's funny that she's married to a fruitcake....(they have marital "issues" as a result)

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,885

In The Problem With Apu, South Asian-American comedian Hari Kondabolu confronts his long-standing “nemesis” Apu Nahasapeemapetilon – better known as the Indian convenience store owner on The Simpsons. Creator and star Kondabolu discusses how this controversial caricature was created, burrowed its way into the hearts and minds of Americans, and continues to exist – intact – nearly three decades later. Featuring interviews with Aziz Ansari, Kal Penn, Whoopi Goldberg, W. Kamau Bell, Aasif Mandvi, Hasan Minhaj, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Aparna Nancherla and more, the hour-long documentary premieres Sunday, November 19 at 10PM ET/PT on truTV.

I'm gonna check this out.............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • EphidelEphidel 02 OG Joined: Posts: 15,067 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm glad Hell's Kitchen is back. Van needs to win this, totally a chill dude! Elise is still a bitch, but she might have improved in the kitchen!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel
    Discord: Ephidel
    I believe Elise was brought back just to start shit........her flexing those arms though.

I legit marked when I saw Giovanni, Millie, and Van.

So The Exorcist got renewed? I did not see any advertising for this at all.........and I was semi regularly watching Fox all summer.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    whoah I forgot The Exorcist as a show even existed... never got around to watching that... I'm slightly interested but I have so many shows already taking up my time.

On another note, apparently an Underworld tv show is in the works...and with that being another vampire/wolves kind of thing of course I'll be all over that like flies on shit.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    is anyone watching orville? I know its a mcfarlane show and all, but im finding its a great alternative to star trek discovery. Hits alot more to than the traditional followings of a trek show
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    I called that bullshit elimination on Hell's Kitchen.........still a bullshit elimination.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Didn't see that one coming, but good call on Ben. Health problems, slow, and he would of been a liability for the blue team down the road. Unfortunately he did not age gracefully.

Elise was MY pick to go home though, she had the worst service. It's not even about me hating her all that much; raw steak, raw pork, whatever man. That shit was distinguishing. There's a lot of chef's on the Red team that actually think they are better than what they really are, or at least what they have shown to be.

edited October 2017
    I know Ben wouldn't have lasted long after seeing he has diabetes..........but to be the one to go on the back of how bad Elise did?

Elise started crying when Ramsay was calling Giovanni over.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    That's what I hate about the new school Ramsey, he doesn't have the patience as he once did. Any signs of weakness or exploits then BOOM you're done, Dave would have NEVER won Season 6 underneath this Ramsey. Lots of chefs over the years got sent home even when they clearly showed potential over the field. For the sake of ratings, I get that sometimes he does this, but over the years it has gotten way overboard. I love HK so much that I'll never stop watching either way though lol.

Ben is cool. He wasn't one of my favorites, but I like his personality. He definitely showed that he matured a lot from Season 5, and that is my biggest pet peeve with this Red team. It's just a bunch of out of control girls jocking for popularity, and I don't see any black jackets on this Red team. I don't. When I look at the Blue team, there's Vann, Jarret, Benjamin on a good day, Milly, and etc.

It will be interesting to see who actually goes over there when the gender switch happens.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,885
    Van Helsing is back!
    Electric Dreams has been disappointing, this week's ep The Commuter has been the best by far. Hopefully, the next episode with Steve Buscemi is even better.

X-Files Season 11 trailer..............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    So glad they are bringing the X-Files back! :33 skully
    edited October 2017
    Well, despite not getting caught up on the end of season 2 like I planned, here I am watching the premiere of season 3 Supergirl. Heh, they have "Nathan Petrelli from Heroes" on here now. I still see that guy as that character, even when seeing him in old shit (*like I just recently found out he was in "Near Dark" back in the day)

Of course my honey Supergirl herself, her sis and other girls on the show look absolutely incredible as usual.

"James Olsen" continues to be hilariously miscast. It's really quite the joke.. like if you had a Batman movie and put an elderly homosexual midget from Kenya as Bruce Wayne/Batman...or a fat Mexican woman playing Daredevil. That's how "off" the shit is, imo.

Martian Manhunter spin-off show... someone at CW should really make this magic happen. This character is entirely too awesome to *not* have his own show.
    Manda had to refire her station SIX times and she gets to stay? BS man. I hate that bitch, she just seems snobby.
    Yeah.........still Ashley looked like she really didn't give a shit.

The men are beasting this season.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 67
    Well, despite not getting caught up on the end of season 2 like I planned, here I am watching the premiere of season 3 Supergirl. Heh, they have "Nathan Petrelli from Heroes" on here now. I still see that guy as that character, even when seeing him in old shit (*like I just recently found out he was in "Near Dark" back in the day)

Of course my honey Supergirl herself, her sis and other girls on the show look absolutely incredible as usual.

"James Olsen" continues to be hilariously miscast. It's really quite the joke.. like if you had a Batman movie and put an elderly homosexual midget from Kenya as Bruce Wayne/Batman...or a fat Mexican woman playing Daredevil. That's how "off" the shit is, imo.

Martian Manhunter spin-off show... someone at CW should really make this magic happen. This character is entirely too awesome to *not* have his own show.

I sometimes wonder how the show would have been if it started out on the CW.
    I hope Elise rips Josh to shreds...........

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Interesting switch! Get em' Elise!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Forgot about Red Dwarf. Season 12 is already 3 episodes in... and you can barely tell anybody aged.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    Damnit Josh..........during service no less.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Damnit Josh..........during service no less.

That guy was a disaster, Ramsey had no choice.

Ironically, the first guy to EVER be thrown out of HK during a dinner service was a guy named Josh in S3 :lol:
    edited November 2017
    I don't actually agree with Ramsey's decision. A good chunk of the blue team could have been up there tonight.

Vann served raw pork, Jarred lied and showed no fight, and Robin is just not that good. If I were Ramsey, I would have sent BOTH of them home, that would have been the correct decision. I also agree 100% with Giovanni--that was a bitch move by Robin.
    Jarrod getting the boot was funny to me..........he was bitching to his exit.

Agree on Robyn being mediocre as fuck.........she's all hype.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • ElectroManiacElectroManiac Joined: Posts: 482
    Steam: Electro
    Tekken 7 Mains: Dragunov and Devil Jim Second: Josie
    My pick Giovanni got sent home...........crap.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited November 2017
    My pick Giovanni got sent home...........crap.

Bad call by Ramsey again. Robin couldn't even open the fucking Oysters correctly, so how do you pick that over Giovanni's lack of detail? If that's the case, then Milly should have gotten sent home too. Gio can cook CIRCLES around Robin, and that's a fact. I hate when Ramsey does this, he starts thinking long term with his restaurants and trims down all the older contestants.

Anyway, it was still a good epd. Things are heating up!

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ok, kinda late on this: So apparently, the internet's opinion is the new MacGuyver sucks...but on it's own merits...DOES it? I watched an ep about putting out a fire in an african oil field, and it seemed ok, even good at times.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Shin_JrShin_Jr " they need to stop it " Joined: Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    so yeah the only show I have been watching was Black Mirror but man that San Junipero episode was the most boring episode I watched but the " Internet " loves it
    you think I'm typing just to type it

here's 50 cents run down to the store and grab a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk - GM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file