mrbrianmrbrian Joined: Posts: 81
Hi all, just a note to let folks know Avatar Fighter Online was released today and available in the XBOX Indie Game section for 80 MSP ($1).

What is it? Basically can be described as a mix of Mortal Kombat / Street Fighter with your xbox avatar as a fighter. You can choose what special moves your avatar will use (2 regular, 1 super).

I hope this is okay to post here, if it's not I apologize in advance!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39p93dl_3rM

Download:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Avatar-Fighter-Online/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550975

Site:
http://www.bwootgames.com

Comments

• Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I downloaded it today, there are some interesting stuff in there. Haha sure is for kicks but the game is well done. A bit of controller work could help it a bit.

Any info on the programmers?
  • mrbrianmrbrian Joined: Posts: 81
    Thanks for trying it out! What kind of controller work do you mean?

For programmers, well there's just me :) I took a year of computer science at the university a long time ago, and have been programming xbox indie games for the last few years for fun. It has been pretty much a one person project for the last year, with some help from playtesters. I've been working as an artist in mostly mobile games for some time now, so I was able to do all the art/animation as well. :)

[plug]Here's a vid featuring some high level play[/plug]
    Thanks for trying it out! What kind of controller work do you mean?

For programmers, well there's just me :) I took a year of computer science at the university a long time ago, and have been programming xbox indie games for the last few years for fun. It has been pretty much a one person project for the last year, with some help from playtesters. I've been working as an artist in mostly mobile games for some time now, so I was able to do all the art/animation as well. :)

[plug]Here's a vid featuring some high level play[/plug]

Oh ma awesome! thx for the reply. BTW dont take what I said as a bad critic. Sometimes I feel the dash input (foward) to be a bit unresponsive but this is ONLY when I try to buffer it. Maybe I need to get acustomed. I feel that I have to wait until certain animations have ended totally to input FF (foward foward)

The game is GREAT! I slept at 4am last night doing some basic stuff and combos, hopefully this week i will put a combo vid. Mike custom combo is SICK!!!! (Mashing f.punch to get 70%!).

I will play online (to test it) and offline soon against some friends again. Hahahah I thought that "the ones that made this game were no newbies in the field" at how much stuff there is to prevent infinites and loops.

Im loving for vs play so far Alex with his diving kick/crossups stuff.

Again great job guys!!! (Sorry for my broken english)
    Ok I'll look into fixing the dash buffering :) Also I'm going to nerf the custom combo, it's a bit extreme! lol
    Glad you like the game!
    Of course I like it! I have a "kind of big" combo for each character! Im going to rec them tonight if I can and post them here!

Yes the Mike custom needs a bit of nerfing, just (in my opinion) nerf the damage ouput. The mashing looks "kind of cool" and remembers me from SF Alpha 2 era!

How doyou tweak the game? I mean, the "balance patch" comes as a title re-download?

And again props for your worl, very well done.
    Yeah, when i patch it the game will prompt you to update and then downloads it again. The approval process for getting a patch out is time consuming though, so it probably wont appear for a couple weeks at best.

Here's a small list of fixes/tweaks for the update so far:
    -fix air dash bug
    -reduce combo maker length from 9s to 5s and reduce cooldown by a little
    -super throw to work on crouching opponents ?
    -longer ninja star range?
    -divekicks will not count as overhead attacks
    -more shoulder charge recovery time
    -more knockback from blocked attacks
    -a new move or two
    -make dashing work reliably
    edit:
    -a proper amount of landing recovery frames for special moves
    -more unique regular attacks per character

If there are any other suggestions, now is a good time to let me know. :)
    I answered part by part using your text, hope its not too rude:
    Yeah, when i patch it the game will prompt you to update and then downloads it again. The approval process for getting a patch out is time consuming though, so it probably wont appear for a couple weeks at best.

Here's a small list of fixes/tweaks for the update so far:
    -fix air dash bug
    -reduce combo maker length from 9s to 5s and reduce cooldown by a little (GREAT)
    -super throw to work on crouching opponents ? (Bill´s throw get you as you are getting uo and there is almost no reversal situation there!)
    -longer ninja star range? (GREAT!)
    -divekicks will not count as overhead attacks (Good nerf, needed. Also if you can add a couple of "landing recovery frames" to him so he can be punished by a proper ground combo)
    -more shoulder charge recovery time (Good)
    -more knockback from blocked attacks (Absolutely GREAT! The Alex and Jimmy c.hard Kick seem to be able to cancel their last frames with dashes, please leave that like that.)
    -a new move or two (And a few stages too! :) )
    -make dashing work reliably (Great and THANKS!)

If there are any other suggestions, now is a good time to let me know. :)

Also Im uploading the combo vid, the editing and the combos are very basic, but i enjoyed it!
    Sorry for the double post. AFO basic Combovid uploaded! Enjoy!

• M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    Wait a minute, I already bought this game awhile back on XBL. Is this is an update?

Great game btw.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    Hmmm now that I have been playing a bit more and had smoe VS matches, some moves NEED "landing recovery frames", othewise they are very spammable. Sure they can be punished in the air, but a ground combo IMO should be better. Just a few not much.

Rising Uppercut (SRK)
    Rolling Kick
    Charge Ball
    Shoulder Tackle
    Headbutt
    Dive Kick

I like that you can grab and throw someone out of pokes. Since throws are techable this is just avoidable.

Also its VERY difficult to follow up combo from jumping attacks. I dont know if adding more stun frames or maing the attacker land faster after hitting an air attack would help.

Thanks again for being receptive to the players input!

And SRK look! J.R Rodriguez HIMSELF playing AFO!

Sorry for the double post. AFO basic Combovid uploaded! Enjoy!

Great, wonderful vid! Thanks so much for making one! :)

>>-super throw to work on crouching opponents ? (Bill´s throw get you as you are getting uo and there is almost no reversal situation there!)

hmm you got a point there. it is possible to throw cancel out of it but it would be too hard for less skilled players to counter. I wanted to do it since there aren't many counters to a crouching block besides a mid-hit. Come to think of it nerfing the divekick will remove the most powerful mid-hit, I'm gonna have to think this over carefully...
    Wait a minute, I already bought this game awhile back on XBL. Is this is an update?

Great game btw.

Thanks! AFO is a new version rather than an update. So $1 gets u online play and and in case you are wondering, I don't have plans for another new version atm - only updates. I put out the original game without online play to see if there were people actually interested before figuring out how make fighting game network code :)
    Hmmm now that I have been playing a bit more and had smoe VS matches, some moves NEED "landing recovery frames", othewise they are very spammable. Sure they can be punished in the air, but a ground combo IMO should be better. Just a few not much.
    [..]
    I like that you can grab and throw someone out of pokes. Since throws are techable this is just avoidable.

Also its VERY difficult to follow up combo from jumping attacks. I dont know if adding more stun frames or maing the attacker land faster after hitting an air attack would help.

Yeah there is definitely a lack of landing frames, I'll add it to the list. I'll fix the jump-in combos by adding a real light/heavy version of jump kick & jump punch. Right now the light/heavy versions are the same (excluding Bill) with the jump punches having more stun than kicks but are harder to land deep.

Its interesting what you say about throwing out of pokes, it is actually supposed to be the reverse with any kindof attack canceling the throw. However since throws are a bit easy to avoid by ducking, maybe they should specifically win over light poke attacks if they both connect.

I had a thought today, i should probably spend some time focusing on each characters regular moves, making them more unique. That could go a ways to adding more variety in strategies.
    Yeah there is definitely a lack of landing frames, I'll add it to the list. I'll fix the jump-in combos by adding a real light/heavy version of jump kick & jump punch. Right now the light/heavy versions are the same (excluding Bill) with the jump punches having more stun than kicks but are harder to land deep.

Its interesting what you say about throwing out of pokes, it is actually supposed to be the reverse with any kindof attack canceling the throw. However since throws are a bit easy to avoid by ducking, maybe they should specifically win over light poke attacks if they both connect.

I had a thought today, i should probably spend some time focusing on each characters regular moves, making them more unique. That could go a ways to adding more variety in strategies.

Awesome, thx for taking in account the suggestions!. I love the crossup system BTW!

About the throw system is kind of good cause I feel that its like the "parry" system from older tekken (3 and tag) games (Im not up to date to T6 sorry for being naive in this matter) and you have to be carefull with what attacks you throw.

I LOVE the backdash speed, its awesome and you gain ground/zone better with it. Really good.

And yes its a great idea to focus on individual char types!

IM HYPE!
  • butterojbutteroj You Are Luminous Joined: Posts: 1,580
    Grrrrrr. Cant find a match online :-(

Sorry, it must be a quiet night :(

Then we have to promote this awesome game! In my facebook account I posted the info, available combo and match vids, a couple of friends were interested and downloaded the game and liked it!
    I am thinking of ways to improve finding a match, so at least people wont have to sit in a waiting screen. Something like SF4 has where you can play single player while you wait. Also something that keeps finding you a new opponent after every fright would be cool.
    Do you have plans to add a couple more stages to the game? It would be nice to have a choice of a few venues. Just a suggestion to make a great game greater.
    That is the no.1 request people have had so far and yes, I'm gonna try to get some freelancers to make some extra levels. Where would be a cool place for avatars to fight? One I'd like to see is a MK-style bridge level.
    Maybe a sunset style background like the one on the game cover.

a bridge would be cool, like an abandon bridge over some kind of city.

A fighting ring.

Maybe a stage based off the Xbox dashboard.

They don't have to be spectacular if it's too much work or will slow down the gameplay.
    Maybe a sunset style background like the one on the game cover.

a bridge would be cool, like an abandon bridge over some kind of city.

A fighting ring.

Maybe a stage based off the Xbox dashboard.

They don't have to be spectacular if it's too much work or will slow down the gameplay.

This! Exactly something that doesnt seems very... Offset. A bar maybe? Or in front of a movie theater entrance (eternal champions lol)

But please KEEP the current stage that is in the game! (street) I love the fight ring Idea and the abandoned bridge too.

Also I was going to suggest now that you mentioned about a new special move or two. Well since its in the SF/MK vibe, why not a constrainment move? Sub Zero Ice like or Scorp spear? I thought of a thunderbolt that leaves the opponent "frozen" on the electrified animation (but in juggle state so you CANT repeat it for an infinite combo ha!) so you can hit them again or something like that!
    Yeah, that's a great suggestion. More moves are always a welcomed addition.

So far you've got a pretty good list of moves that all serve a different purpose. I believe that having the online mode as well as a large selection of moves to choose from will be the thing that drives the interest on this game. Pretty soon people will be making mutiple accounts and playing SF4/MK/etc just to get costumes for their fighting avatar.

I'm planning on making a Ryu avatar just for this game, and I don't even like the character.
    Yea, everyone loves having more moves :)
    Here are some moves I'm thinking of implementing, 100-hand slap type, Akuma fireball, Liu Kang jump kick, Elena flipping mid kick.. oh yes some kindof air dash move too. A constrainment fireball would be cool too, I'd just have to make it different enough so nobody can say its a direct rip. :p
  • AzuroAzuro C L E B O Y Z Joined: Posts: 1,132
    OMG as soon as I found this thread, I HAD to download AFO! This game is sweeeeet!
    www.testyourmight.com
  • Remy77077Remy77077 futility fighting Joined: Posts: 350
    Wow. I am seriously impressed! I've only played a little bit so far, but this seems to have better netcode than most commercial fighting games. And it actually plays like old school spacing/footsie based fighters like MK and SF2, rather than being a hit-confirm combo juggle-fest nonsense that I've grown very very tired of. I'll need to play a lot more to see how it really works, but first impressions are amazing and so far I love it :-) If this keeps up I will be letting as many people as I can know about this game!
    http://www.agoners.com My gaming website

Personally I actually LOVE this how it is.

I hope you don't change jump attacks into ground combos to be too easy btw.

This is one of the major things that keeps this game feeling a bit like SF2 & stops it becoming too combo orientated.
  • JayAlanCarterJayAlanCarter Arashikage Joined: Posts: 171
    added to my download queue. excited to use my avatar

This is one of the major things that keeps this game feeling a bit like SF2 & stops it becoming too combo orientated.

Hmm interesting, I wouldn't have expected this :) Well as a happy medium, maybe only certain characters can have semi-easier jump-in combos. That would give the different move sets more variety. Happy you like the game btw :)
    guys you made it into the front page YAY!!!

http://shoryuken.com/2011/10/05/news-and-video-roundup-100411/

Wuutttt?! :eek: *checks*

Wow, Awesome! Thanks so much SRK!! :D
    Personally I actually LOVE this how it is.

Actually you are VERY right with that comment. In fact I have even changed my mind. I dont want the game to become another combo fest too. ots very solid as it is now.
    Ah cheers Hanzo_Hasashi :-) It's all personal preference of course... I just feel there's virtually no games of this style around anymore, in a weird way it helps it stand out. It's also what I prefer and believe me I was very surprised to find this title was like this! Another Indie FG I played - Battle High San Bruno seemed to be SF2 style at first, but actually once I played it more I found out it actually had a crazy dash-cancelling combo system under the hood, so it ended up being more about that than anything else.
    Ah cheers Hanzo_Hasashi :) It's all personal preference of course... I just feel there's virtually no games of this style around anymore, in a weird way it helps it stand out. It's also what I prefer and believe me I was very surprised to find this title was like this! Another Indie FG I played - Battle High San Bruno seemed to be SF2 style at first, but actually once I played it more I found out it actually had a crazy dash-cancelling combo system under the hood, so it ended up being more about that than anything else.

It's getting crazier in the update. I'm talking Tekken juggles.

So I'm planning on scrapping my original avatar all together so I don't have to make a new account. I'll probably just make a bunch of fg inspired characters in correspondence to the moves in the game. I was gonna start with a Ryu avatar, giving him his ssf4 dlc outfit and 3 iconic special moves, but then I realized you can only use two specials moves at a time. I may have to start off with Guile instead lol. Will you consider making a third slot for special moves in the future? It'll flesh out the characters more having a 3rd option.
    Ah cheers Hanzo_Hasashi :) It's all personal preference of course... I just feel there's virtually no games of this style around anymore, in a weird way it helps it stand out. It's also what I prefer and believe me I was very surprised to find this title was like this! Another Indie FG I played - Battle High San Bruno seemed to be SF2 style at first, but actually once I played it more I found out it actually had a crazy dash-cancelling combo system under the hood, so it ended up being more about that than anything else.

Ah. I love BH San bruno, I did a couple of combos and submitted it to the programers.

This is one:

Its a great game but yes, it has a different focus. Your words really ringed in my head. i just remembered the SFII CE golden era, god zonningand footsies was everything (before discovering bisons crap haha) I loved weird matchups like guile vs Blanka or Gief mirrors.

And to MrBrian: As M.D posted, a 3rd slot for specials would be GREAT and would add a lot more of variety... but it should be done very carefull to not affect character balance.

The game as it is NOW its GREAT. Damage scaling seems to be working good and corner pushbakc is great too cause ppl have to think FAST what combos or moves to use for max their damage before the big pushback.

Again, great job, LOVING what the game is now, and if anything, MrBrian if you can put a small list of fixes or possible balance changes for feedback it would be good (as you have done till now).

Keep it up! (im playing right now lol but dont have XBL Gold for now)
    More changes, fixes:
    Tornado kick can be done in air and can reliably juggle every hit.
    Shoulder Charge pops up other player, allowing more recovery frames + better pay off, now high priority only for first couple frames
    Dash buffer time is now really long, so if you double tap at start of a jump it will still perform the dash at the end
    Fixed important blocking bug :p
    Hanging on Character Select screen before fight should be fixed
    Custom character info now gets saved

3 special moves is a possibility, I'm not sure how balanced it would be though (I imagine lots of people picking double fireballs + anti air). I guess if that happens, I can just add new counter moves until its fixed. I'll save that one for a bit later tho and concentrate on new moves for now.

I'm also pondering how I could implement an online lobby system ala MK9. Not sure if it will happen but it would be cool :)
  • JayAlanCarterJayAlanCarter Arashikage Joined: Posts: 171
    played and had a blast. i especially like the fact that the gameplay mechanics really felt like a good mix of street fighter and mortal kombat! would a scorpion spear or sub zero freeze be possible in an update? or would ruin the balance considerably? or how about command grabs? i wish this game would get more exposure so we can have alot of online matches. good job bwootgames!
    More changes, fixes:
    Tornado kick can be done in air and can reliably juggle every hit. (awesome, much needed)
    Shoulder Charge pops up other player, allowing more recovery frames + better pay off, now high priority only for first couple frames (SUPER good!)
    Dash buffer time is now really long, so if you double tap at start of a jump it will still perform the dash at the end (haha thx!)
    Fixed important blocking bug :p
    Hanging on Character Select screen before fight should be fixed
    Custom character info now gets saved

3 special moves is a possibility, I'm not sure how balanced it would be though (I imagine lots of people picking double fireballs + anti air). I guess if that happens, I can just add new counter moves until its fixed. I'll save that one for a bit later tho and concentrate on new moves for now.

I'm also pondering how I could implement an online lobby system ala MK9. Not sure if it will happen but it would be cool :)

About 3 special moves, yes, keep it that way (2 sp), the game feels really good right now. And the online lobby sounds sick!
    played and had a blast. i especially like the fact that the gameplay mechanics really felt like a good mix of street fighter and mortal kombat! would a scorpion spear or sub zero freeze be possible in an update? or would ruin the balance considerably? or how about command grabs? i wish this game would get more exposure so we can have alot of online matches. good job bwootgames!

As long as they don't introduce infinite combos, the spear or freeze could make it in :) More grabs are a bit of work to animate but I might wanna do at least one more to go with the super throw and reg throw. Perhaps an air throw of some sort.. I think I'm going to submit a patch in the next week, and change the quick match option so it will prompt to create a session after not finding one. That should easily help people find more matches online.

More tweaks:
    Dive Kick has close/long range version
    Ninjastar useful for juggling opponents
    Flying Kick returning to the move list
    Air fireballs last longer w/ slow/fast variety. Can currently have two on screen at once.. Seems interesting, and maybe not overpowered
    Missing landing frames added for certain moves
    Tornado kick automatically moves forward
  • Demon JimDemon Jim I'm Cereal Joined: Posts: 4,158 mod
    Bought the game yesterday and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good and well rounded this game is. Well done sir. I'm currently pushing it on my friends so I can get some local competition.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    "...but when he gets there, at the end of the day, it's just corn flakes." - Christopher Walken
    Battle at the Border Tournament Director
  • EcKo Zero CoolEcKo Zero Cool lolz Joined: Posts: 802
    i cant find it on xbl :(

what should it be under ?
    These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face.
    These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.
    Thanks for giving it a try DJ, hope you have some good fights :)
    i cant find it on xbl :(

what should it be under ?

It is in the Xbox Indie Game section, heres a quick video how to get there. Just look in the A section, instead of I :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es8_jkTdgXY