cvs2 team formation: discussion/suggestions, etc

Comments

• IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,036
    cool thanks again for all the info.  you guys have been really helpful.

haha I dig the 3s joke too.  first thing I did in CVS2 was pick Chun and try to confirm low forward into super!
  • Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 779
    IglooBob said:
    so in A I assume from what you guys said, the point is to build meter with early characters, then use it with Sakura for the custom combo stuff.  or I guess Ken is there to build meter, and ideally I'd just drop Chun for another effective A groove character since she doesn't fit well in A groove.  correct me if I understand this wrong.

what makes Chun effective in N groove?
    In A-groove, you'd stick either Ken or Chun up front, and be judicious with your meter useage. Chun is very playable in A, she can still combo into her level 1 super, and her customs are very usable (if not the most damaging):

http://namonaki.com/games/ (gunter's site, you can see a lot of the customs for your characters in different situations)

There are better A-groove characters than chun for sure, but if you like Chun you can definitely make it work.

N-Chun is the best groove because: 

- her level 1 super is damaging, combos in a lot of different situations, and leads to a mixup which can lead to landing super again

- RC legs and SBK (to a lesser extent) are important to her gameplan

- run and low jump complement her game plan very, very well - cancel low jump attacks into lightning legs to make it safe against a big chunk of the cast, and you can combo to super if you see it hit
    Holding a shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: The Nine Ball of Fighting Games
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    Wow, this sub-forum is dead. Sad. Waiting for that forum update.

Anywho, think I found a team: 2 man K-Groove Geese and Sagat. They both make you hurt real bad and they both feel right to me. Is there anything Geese can do against A-groove tier whores?
    STOMP!
  • SesshaZLSesshaZL 春麗 豪鬼 Joined: Posts: 1,028
    edited April 2013
    looking to branch out into c groove, who are some that groove's strongest characters? already plan on using ken. no intention of chun or sagat though since they are in my main team (team Nuki). of course being subscribed to lion x on yt I have come across quite a bit of teams.

EDIT: I remember Kim is good in C too, so Kim,Ken,???r2.

50/50 post Hyoukusen mixup is dirty!!
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
  • YariX0083YariX0083 @RaasuX Joined: Posts: 139
    Guile, Rolento, Honda, or for someone you don't see too much of Yamazaki.
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,084
    There are a lot of great c groove characters, dont forget yun, chang, dhalsim, maki, ryu, kyo (if you have a strong neutral game, he has sick combos), yama, geese, RUGAL, etc. IMHO, C groove is the second most universal groove (behind K)
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
    SesshaZL wrote: »
    looking to branch out into c groove, who are some that groove's strongest characters? already plan on using ken. no intention of chun or sagat though since they are in my main team (team Nuki). of course being subscribed to lion x on yt I have come across quite a bit of teams.

EDIT: I remember Kim is good in C too, so Kim,Ken,???r2.

If you are looking for anchor characters, that shortens the list a bit. Rolento, Blanka and Rugal in C are anchor-worthy characters. Guile, Honda, and Hibiki are ok for that role as well. I agree that C is the second-most universal groove.
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is there anything Geese can do against A-groove tier whores?

die
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wow, this sub-forum is dead. Sad. Waiting for that forum update.

Anywho, think I found a team: 2 man K-Groove Geese and Sagat. They both make you hurt real bad and they both feel right to me. Is there anything Geese can do against A-groove tier whores?

Play K-Groove and hope you touch them.
    edited July 2013
    A-chun is stupid fun
    Post edited by SesshaZL on
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes You dun fked it up Capcom. Again. Joined: Posts: 7,084
    Now that I'm training for the inevitable release of CvS2 HD (GC version on a Dolphin Emulator Q_Q) I have a few questions about team composition.
    Out of the roster, I really have a thing for Rock, Mai, and Geese. What is the best groove/order with these three? I'm thinking of N-Groove with Mai/Rock/Geese with either Rock or Geese as my ratio 2. I could also see K-Groove being good on that team too, but I'm leaning toward N right now.
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,084
    K groove is better for Rock and Geese, and also a powerful groove for Mai, so i suggest that. K Geese/Mai/Rock R2 sounds really nasty
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • FreddyDFreddyD Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey guys! over the summer I fell in love with CVS2 (from playing single player all day to just watching tournament videos) so I'm still kinda new to it.

I'm really interested in C,N, and k grooves. (my favorite would be N) and my favorite characters would be Terry,Hibiki,Kyo,Akuma,Guile,Ryu, and Vice. (I also really love Haohmaru but I hear he's not so great)

was wondering if anyone can assemble a team or two for me? Which should be my R2s? which should go first? Haha sorry for the newbie questions.
  • voodoochild346voodoochild346 RETURN TO DUST!!! Joined: Posts: 95
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Hey guys! over the summer I fell in love with CVS2 (from playing single player all day to just watching tournament videos) so I'm still kinda new to it.

I'm really interested in C,N, and k grooves. (my favorite would be N) and my favorite characters would be Terry,Hibiki,Kyo,Akuma,Guile,Ryu, and Vice. (I also really love Haohmaru but I hear he's not so great)

was wondering if anyone can assemble a team or two for me? Which should be my R2s? which should go first? Haha sorry for the newbie questions.

n groove- vice, ryu, R2 hibiki or kyo
    c groove- ryu, terry, R2 guile
    k groove- ryu, terry, R2 kyo
    take my opinions with a grain of salt since i haven't done any thing on a competitive level yet and i there for don't have much credibility.
    if final burn alpha had naomi support we would be able to play right now. :(
    Any opinions go a long way for me! Any suggestions as well. I'm willing to try anything in this game.
    Kyo, Hibiki, and C-Guile are the strongest characters of those you have listed.

C:Kyo/Hibiki/Guile(R2), in that order; Ryu is strong too, could be subbed for either of the first two
    K: Kyo/Hibiki/anybody else (except Guile and Vice), in any order, with the R2 going to either Kyo or Hibiki
    N: Akuma/Vice/Kyo or Hibiki(R2) in that order; by far the strongest N-Groove team, using anybody besides those four in N would be a big drop-off
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,036
    edited September 2013
    I mentioned a few months back that I wanted to run Ken/Sakura/Chun and the suggestion was that I play N or A Groove to best maximize that set of characters. Just out of curiosity, which other grooves would fit those characters well, or would fit if I dropped just one of them for someone else? How solid is K Groove for that team for example?
    edited September 2013
    C groove is better than N for that team, Sak on point.

a groove for that team...drop ken or chun for blanka...
    IglooBob wrote: »
    I mentioned a few months back that I wanted to run Ken/Sakura/Chun and the suggestion was that I play N or A Groove to best maximize that set of characters. Just out of curiosity, which other grooves would fit those characters well, or would fit if I dropped just one of them for someone else? How solid is K Groove for that team for example?

That's a really open-ended question, there are a million ways to answer. For those three characters, C, A, and N groove all have pros and cons. I would personally say C>A>N. I wouldn't use those characters in K, K doesn't play to their strengths.

Who's your best character? If it's Sakura, I'd stick to A, but if it's either of the other two I'd probably pick C. Pick N only if you really like run and low jump, and if Chun is your strongest character.
    edited September 2013
    what are Rock's best grooves?
    Post edited by SesshaZL on

easily K.

A for a distant second. Then C, N, P, S.

Would Cammy do better in A or N?

just trying to fill in spots on a secondary team.

its very fun bullying people with her =p
    It's probably debatable, but I say N. The N subsystems are very useful for Cammy (run, low jump, semi-stored meter for alpha counters). A-groove really gives Cammy little to work with - her customs are average, roll and RC aren't of use to her, dash is ok (but run is better for her). She is still Cammy, so she's playable in A, but I think N is better for her.
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,579
    Ouroborus wrote: »

easily K.

i honestly think p rock is way under represented.
    cant he in theory get tons of mixups off knockdown?

360 > break > dash > dash > more wakeup games
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,579
    or rather, was.

but idk. not like i ever played prock
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.
    It's probably debatable, but I say N. The N subsystems are very useful for Cammy (run, low jump, semi-stored meter for alpha counters). A-groove really gives Cammy little to work with - her customs are average, roll and RC aren't of use to her, dash is ok (but run is better for her). She is still Cammy, so she's playable in A, but I think N is better for her.

N groove is cammys worst groove. her dash is better than her run.
    xX_Deus_Xx wrote: »

easily K.

i honestly think p rock is way under represented.
    cant he in theory get tons of mixups off knockdown?

360 > break > dash > dash > more wakeup games

rock is much better with meter.

N groove is cammys worst groove. her dash is better than her run.

Why is dash better than run for her? You think her dash mixup is that good? Corpse hopping?
    its fast, short and it covers ground faster than her run. you can dash in to f+hp throw option select or into c.lk, c.lk into combo. and of course, corpse hopping is good too.

there is a big misbelief that running is better than dashing in cvs2. more of the cast probably have a better run than dash in general, but dashing is very underrated compared to run.

• caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hmmm I don't think too many people still believe that (well older players at least). It's very character/groove dependent and I do think cammy's dash is better than her run. For example a running k-groove cammy is a lot scarier than a running n-groove cammy.

Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    Hmmm I don't think too many people still believe that (well older players at least). It's very character/groove dependent and I do think cammy's dash is better than her run. For example a running k-groove cammy is a lot scarier than a running n-groove cammy.

Agreed, it's not a one-size-fits-all deal. For characters who can use dashes to buffer great RCs for example (think Honda and Blanka), dash is unquestionably better than run. Throw activate into the picture for A-groove characters, and dash mixups become very scary (Bison).

I'm sure you guys know this, but just to explain my statement: run lets you do two things better than dash does - get in and stay in (stuff like running fierce pressure with Cammy is really good; better in K than N, but still good in N), and punishing things (running s.HK and s.HP lets Cammy punish anything that whiffs). That being said, you're right, her dash is really good, one of the best in cvs2.

*shrug*
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2013
    k - mai maki chun
    i know its whack. would this team be better in c or n? i still like the defensive options in k tho, just some general theorycrafting because im bored and want to play cvs2 again
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
    edited October 2013
    On paper, it's N by a wide margin, but playstyle matters. Do you prefer to rush down or turtle/run away?

If you want to play, you should go to the Norcal Dogfight this Saturday.
    edited October 2013
    im turtle style

also mb where is it since gc is gone?
    team bitch/waifu sucks

i dont play enough to play my real team anymore so i play one button confirm into super team team
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    team bitch/waifu sucks
    Yo now that I'm living at Crack House come by more with your stick so we can play CV2 and XI.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • Mitri MFMitri MF Joined: Posts: 433
    edited January 2014
    nevermind
    Post edited by Mitri MF on
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 230
    Yamazaki/Rugal/Geese is what I am mainly trying to learn.
    Still pending on if to use K groove or N groove more.
    The world needs more folk metal
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes You dun fked it up Capcom. Again. Joined: Posts: 7,084
    Is Eagle meant to be played in the Capcom grooves? He seems to get a lot more from his dash than his run.
    A and C are his best grooves, so yes. He's ok in K groove too though.
    Wow 3 years later and I still don't have a a solid team!

I'm running N- Akuma, (????), Hibiki (2)

Sometimes as a point I run morrigan but I still don't have a solid mid character. Morrigan/Akuma in the same team probably sucks so I don't do that.

Idk if I should man up and get good at rcing vice's shoulder tackles or if i should just put sagat/cammy as my mid and call it a day. Also chun looks great as a mid but I just don't understand the character. :/

Suggestions?
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sagat or cammy are always good picks. Going off your team, I'd put sagat in the back and move hibiki to the middle slot, but they're both interchangeable depending on matchups.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
    N-groove cammy is ass. She can't take advantage of N-groove at all. But at the end of the day, she still have her godlike normals.

Pick Sagat or Vice instead if you want to make full use of N-groove.

edited October 2016
    N-groove cammy is ass. She can't take advantage of N-groove at all. But at the end of the day, she still have her godlike normals.

Pick Sagat or Vice instead if you want to make full use of N-groove.

Last I was talking to someone, Japan N-Vice is top tier. I can see it. I played CvS2 in Japan back in August with Gunter at Sportsland, while super rusty, I did well and got some wins. A billion times more fun than everything else.
    A and C are his best grooves, so yes. He's ok in K groove too though.

Yeah this 100%. I used him in both, never liked him in K.
    Is anyone in Japan playing N-Vice? The only person I saw use N-Vice near her potential was Buk at the Evo 2012 side tournament (I think it was '12; the last one I ran on my own).
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,569
    edited November 2016
    Let's spice thing up for CVS2 tournaments by allowing the clone glitch. In other words I can have a team of Sagat, Honda, Honda

I do this from time to time on arcade machines...
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Let's spice thing up for CVS2 tournaments by allowing the clone glitch. In other words I can have a team of Sagat, Honda, Honda

I do this from time to time on arcade machines...

1 vega, 2 sakura just to fuck with K/P groove.

• Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    I know Iori is good in N-Groove, but what about Kyo? Kyo is one of my favorite characters but I don't want to use P or K. I would use K if iori was good in that, but he's not.

Other characters I like are Vega, Hibiki, Chun-Li, and Rock. Rock's best groove is probably K though... I don't want to use Sagat. Who should my R2 be?
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
    N-Kyo is good. Access to low jump, run, and RC.
  • YMDSLTSACYMDSLTSAC Joined: Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    N-Kyo is okay but his roll is kind of shit so he can't take advantage of things like counter-movement. Roll cancel rekkas are decent but kind of slow and redundant. He's a bit better in K-groove because when he's raged his combos really hurt.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
    -Buddha

"Don't let it happen to you like it did to me, I was a black zombie."