cvs2 team formation: discussion/suggestions, etc

Comments

• OnikageOnikage Chaot Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hibiki / Kim / Sagat? It's not on the list but it'd be dope.
    If nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Handsome fighters never lose battles.
    How can you not?
    Keystone III Mid-Boss
  • FreddyL0c0FreddyL0c0 Joined: Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    honestly any of these teams can work, thats the magic of k-Groove....

I have no idea what ure looking for when u say "balanced". it really depends on how u want to play. Do u wanna rush that shit down? then go with Ryu/Kim, u wanna zone them bitches? then Eagle and Hibiki will do the job.

Hybrid?

In any case, Sagat anywhere on that team is never a bad thing.
    Spencer Dante Hawkeye aka raw tags are the future
    http://www.youtube.com/user/freddyl0c0 (more soon)
  • ToyRobotTerrorToyRobotTerror Magnificent Bastard Joined: Posts: 2,078
    I just want to be handle multiple match ups.
    Fuck skrulls
  • LeezyLeezy In gaming, I age in dog years... Joined: Posts: 1,397
    Eagle, Kim, Hibiki, and/or Sagat.

They're all interchangeable for ratio and order, depending on matchups. Just learn (or stick with) the three that you're most comfortable playing...regardless of matchups. Then, learn the matchups that best suit your team. I think for K, that is the most important aspect about choosing your team. Having three characters that you can move around to any slot with any of them being R2 makes the team you stick with versatile and competitive regardless of the matchup.

In short, pick the team YOU want to play and LEARN the matchups with that team/those characters.
    Same old dog, same old tricks...
  • CoosCoosCoosCoos Yep. Joined: Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Alright I have an update.

So the other day I dropped Blanka on my main C team(used to be Blanka/Chun/Sagat), and narrowed it down to two other characters. claw and rolento. I had a lot of sucess with both of them, .

For right now, I am liking Sagat/Chun/Rolento-r2 a lot. I like the diversity and the meter usage of the characters suits how I like to play and how I like to use meter.

My question is, how would this team fare matchup wise, and will it help some matches if I started Rolento and anchored Sagat?
    AE: Fei

Marvel: Mag/Doom/Dante

UNIEL: Waldstein
  • scrubydanscrubydan Moetaro? Joined: Posts: 2,638
    rolento anchor sucks, use sagat instead

unless ur iyo
    "how dare these mother fuckers try to be on my level. i will eat your babies!" - ATM SPIDERTAO
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Yeah, try Rolento as a battery. Anchor with Sagat.
  • HAVHAV iori respawn Joined: Posts: 9,503
    Huh? R2 Rolento doesn't work? How can you even say that? You really don't have to put Sagat in the back of every team.
  • FSgamerFSgamer Cheap Tactics!!! Joined: Posts: 1,315
    C-Sagat, Chun, Rolento is a pretty flexible team, you can play it in any order depending on match-ups. Use whatever order you're most confortable with.
    FSgamer aka FS7 --- Cheap Tactics for the Win ---

random CvS2 player
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    C-Sagat, Chun, Rolento is a pretty flexible team, you can play it in any order depending on match-ups. Use whatever order you're most confortable with.

My team.. well sort of just reverse it. That team is balls too the walls nutz. If your smart you never run out of meter with that shit.
    <<>>
    My team.. well sort of just reverse it. That team is balls too the walls nutz. If your smart you never run out of meter with that shit.

Good shit sir. Now to figure out if I wanna play it in white, red, or black.

Prolly black.

• goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Huh? R2 Rolento doesn't work? How can you even say that? You really don't have to put Sagat in the back of every team.
    Sagat/Chun/Rolento (2) is good, but Rolento/Chun/Sagat (2) is the optimal order in just about any scenario I can think of.
  • KerseyKersey Cyrax Wins Joined: Posts: 504
    How are K-Chun and K-Sakura? I'm think of either K-Chun(or Sak)/Hibiki/Cammy or Sagat.
    Sagat/Chun/Rolento (2) is good, but Rolento/Chun/Sagat (2) is the optimal order in just about any scenario I can think of.

It probably is optimum.

I just feel more confident in my Rolento as an anchor right now. Yesterday, I got in about 20 matches or so, and I won a shitload more with him in the back than with Sagat.

The only problem I'm seeing in the future is with an A-Blanka anchor. And if that's the case then, then I could put Chun as the anchor, or just put the team in reverse to compensate. Does that sound alright?

I don't know I just like thinking outside the box.

• ''Rugal.B''''Rugal.B'' MORTON'S CEO MD/VA Joined: Posts: 1,188
    No if that's who you feel comfy with play it that way. Learn mis-matches and deal with it rolento can beat blanka BUT IT UP TO YOU to play the match up right.
    Xanadu Games
    410-501-5040
    3921 Suite B Vero Rd
    Baltimore 21227 MD

xanadu_games
  • RedroverRedrover Scary Mashed Potatoe Joined: Posts: 674
    so ive finally steeled down with the 2 teams and grooves id really like to focus on in learning this game.

A-Groove Vega/Bison/Blanka

K-Groove Blanka/Ken/Sagat

Right now im having a lot of trouble with Bison PFT as 1p.. If im 2p i can do it consistantly without a problem.. if im 1p im having a lot of trouble getting more than one to consistantly come out. Right now im jsut doing (s.fp pft s.fp pft) XX super.. not much for damage at all.. any suggestions for 1p pft?

As far as my K-Groove team is concerned, its a lil hard for me right now to Just-defend. Im learning a lot more about it, but a lot of times i find myself in a corner against someone like Sagat and cant get out. Any tips for the newb here?
    SCARY MASHED POTATES!!!... is me.. ^.^
  • LeezyLeezy In gaming, I age in dog years... Joined: Posts: 1,397
    Honestly, there isn't any "right" thing to do about Sagat cornering you in K. Just practice a lot...well, don't corner yourself, but the more it happens the better you'll be at getting out of it. Most times, Sagat will be throwing things out that will ch or you will run into...so you don't have to worry about JDing. JDing is not the way to get out of the corner...it's the way to stay alive while figuring out how to get out of the corner. If fighting off a cornering Sagat is the worst of your JD problems, you don't have much to worry about.

Bison's a good character in general, so even if you can't ptf, it's not that big of a deal. The concern is more that you lose the threat of huge damage from his cc, but the ghetto one is fine in terms of damage. The threat when you have meter changes the way people play, though, so figure out how to ptf consistently at some point. I buffer ptf, and find it easier facing right than facing left.

Either way, if your only problems are consistency with ptf and fighting off Sagat, you're not in bad shape.
    Same old dog, same old tricks...
  • MAGUS1234MAGUS1234 walk forward Joined: Posts: 3,993
    Neevermind read wrong.

I got a Q though, you think its worth it to play R2 first to beat a char you have a really hard time beating?(Vega_)
    I came to Keystone II and all I got was DP'd.
  • patmonstapatmonsta Joined: Posts: 1,052
    Neevermind read wrong.

I got a Q though, you think its worth it to play R2 first to beat a char you have a really hard time beating?(Vega_)

i aint no expert magus but i put r2 sagat in front for vega all the time and trade with his bitch ass
    keep in touch thru Twitter patmonsta
    Facebook Patrick Ramos
  • FSSHFSSH Joined: Posts: 8
    If you're confident your anchor can establish enough of an advantage for your R1s, or downright OCV, on paper, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't. But generally this would be a bad idea. You also have no guarantee that they will keep that particularly hard to beat character as first. I say this purely with logic, as my tourney experience is virtually NIL, and the pool is very small here.

In a similar light, has anyone considered using a character to specifically counter top tier characters as their R2? I mean, if your team has serious problems against them or you don't have the experience or confidence to beat out more experienced players in the mirror (eg. Sagat vs. Sagat), is this deemed as a viable option?

My current team is C/N - Yun, Kim, Sagat(R2). In that order.

I'm still unsure on which groove I prefer between the two. As much as Sagat works as a great anchor, being a generally overall awesome character, I am not sure if he is the best choice for the team, and not to mention my lack of confidence in Sagat mirrors. At first, I thought of perhaps using Claw, or Hibiki to fill up the spot for the benefit of the overall team.

My main concern is smaller top tiers, such as Cammy, and Chun. It would be much appreciated if anyone could suggest some alternatives for me to consider. Or perhaps some reinforcement in using Sagat in the team?
  • PieguyPieguy 3.1415926535897932 Joined: Posts: 1,650
    I don't really think anchoring Sagat simply because he's Sagat is a good idea at all. The rule of thumb is, you anchor what you're best with and what you can combat other anchors with. If you are good with sagat but terrible with sagat vs sagat or sagat vs bison, it's pointless to anchor him.

I can tell you that C-Hibiki is a good anti-sagat when he doesn't have low jump and she fairs well against blanka too. Cammy is probably in her advantage as well as long as you play it correctly. I don't really see many Chun-li anchors so I can't really comment.

In general, I would not anchor claw, even if you are fantastic with him. Low comeback factor, low hp, low stun, average damage, and the ability to lose mask and claw all make him a bad anchor. Of course you can do it but it's an uphill battle, especially if you get hit with an early super.
    Founding Member of Pakside
  • HAVHAV iori respawn Joined: Posts: 9,503
    I can tell you that C-Hibiki is a good anti-sagat when he doesn't have low jump and she fairs well against blanka too.

Hibiki fights Sagat well regardless of whether he's low jumping or not. As long as you have the fight ranged correctly, Sagat's low jumps aren't a real factor.
    Cammy is probably in her advantage as well

No it's not.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    how do you all feel about k-rock as anchor?

he seems pretty solid but a lot of his moves needs proper spacing to be safe.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • FSSHFSSH Joined: Posts: 8
    I don't really think anchoring Sagat simply because he's Sagat is a good idea at all. The rule of thumb is, you anchor what you're best with and what you can combat other anchors with. If you are good with sagat but terrible with sagat vs sagat or sagat vs bison, it's pointless to anchor him.

I can tell you that C-Hibiki is a good anti-sagat when he doesn't have low jump and she fairs well against blanka too. Cammy is probably in her advantage as well as long as you play it correctly. I don't really see many Chun-li anchors so I can't really comment.

In general, I would not anchor claw, even if you are fantastic with him. Low comeback factor, low hp, low stun, average damage, and the ability to lose mask and claw all make him a bad anchor. Of course you can do it but it's an uphill battle, especially if you get hit with an early super.

Thanks for the feedback, though I think I should rephrase my last question. Your advice on Sagat, Hibiki and Claw are well noted, however I was more concerned if they could potentially deal with Cammy and Chun.

With Cammy and Chun, I listed them as main concerns, not as team options. I listed them mainly because I find it very difficult to deal with these two with my battery and user and thus its left to my potential anchor to deal with them. Does Sagat have enough of a favorable game against these two in particular? If not, who would you suggest?
    My current team is C/N - Yun, Kim, Sagat(R2). In that order.

I'm still unsure on which groove I prefer between the two. As much as Sagat works as a great anchor, being a generally overall awesome character, I am not sure if he is the best choice for the team, and not to mention my lack of confidence in Sagat mirrors. At first, I thought of perhaps using Claw, or Hibiki to fill up the spot for the benefit of the overall team.

My main concern is smaller top tiers, such as Cammy, and Chun. It would be much appreciated if anyone could suggest some alternatives for me to consider. Or perhaps some reinforcement in using Sagat in the team?
    I'd pick C-groove for that team.
    Sagat is really good in N, but he's better in C. I think Kim & Yun don't benefit much from N-groove subsystems. Kim has good lvl 2 cancels and the infinite in C. Yun has lvl 2 cancels (good damage and stun), and dash is better for him that run (you can corpse hop over opponents after a knockdown and mix up with low shorts or RC Grab).

random CvS2 player
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    My current team is A-Mai/Kyo/Ken, which is okay, but, I want to see which groove is best for them. Right now, I'm working between P and N, so any suggestions?
  • boxbox Joined: Posts: 1,611
    My current team is A-Mai/Kyo/Ken, which is okay, but, I want to see which groove is best for them. Right now, I'm working between P and N, so any suggestions?

Between P and N, I'd probably go with N groove.

Mai with run, and low jump is really good. Kyo is probably better in P-groove but he's still decent in N groove. Ken is a lot better in N-groove then in P-groove. Rushdown plus RCs work are better then parry for Ken.
    Between P and N, I'd probably go with N groove.

Mai with run, and low jump is really good. Kyo is probably better in P-groove but he's still decent in N groove. Ken is a lot better in N-groove then in P-groove. Rushdown plus RCs work are better then parry for Ken.

Thanks, I will try it out. I was just experimenting w/ different grooves, and still working on RCs, but, between all of the grooves, which would you use?
    Try N-groove.
    P-groove is okay but it just takes too much skill to do well with those characters in P. K-groove would be a more practical choice than P.

random CvS2 player
  • DentronDentron THUG LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,300
    With Cammy and Chun, I listed them as main concerns, not as team options. I listed them mainly because I find it very difficult to deal with these two with my battery and user and thus its left to my potential anchor to deal with them. Does Sagat have enough of a favorable game against these two in particular? If not, who would you suggest?

sagat can beat both of them if you play carefully. they both have whiff punishing power that will knock your socks off =[
    I've been using P/K-Hibiki, Chun, Cammy in casuals lately, just for fun.
    Not a bad team. Parry/JD > poke is a pretty decent strategy. Both grooves have pros and cons, I'd have to play a lot more before deciding which one to go with, although I got to admit playing that team in K-groove is easier.
    If I were to make that my main team I'd most definitely play it in N-groove, but since it's only a team I play for fun I'll keep messing around with it in P/K-groove.

random CvS2 player
    I just got back into this game and I'm tryin to find a new team beside K-Kyo, Cammy, and Sagat

So far I've mainly been practicing with:
    A-Yun, Akuma, Vega
    K-Mai, Kyo, Blanka
    A-Yun, Vega, Blanka
    N-Iori, Akuma, Sagat
    and K-Kyo, Geese, Cammy

tryin to eliminate some teams though but which one of those sounds like the best to use, I definately like using A-Yun and Akuma but I'm not sure whether to use Vega or Blanka as the anchor in that team
    A-Yun, Akuma, Vega
    K-Mai, Kyo, Blanka
    A-Yun, Vega, Blanka
    N-Iori, Akuma, Sagat
    and K-Kyo, Geese, Cammy

A-Yun/Akuma/Vega is not a very solid team at all. Akuma and Yun will have fits against certain high tier characters and it'll be an uphill battle all the time. Vega also isn't a great anchor cuz of low hp, low stun, low damage and low comeback ability. Also, Vega's CC is rather average in terms of damage.

K-Mai/Kyo/Blanka is a good team overall depending on how confident you are with Mai. Mai players who have a solid low jump game with her and who know hwo to put out offensive pressure all the time, wreck people with her. Kyo has a few bad match-ups but nothing that can't be dealt with, with a bit of patience and practice. Blanka is blanka.

A-Yun/Vega/Blanka is a decent team but i'd put vega first.

N-Iori/Akuma/Sagat is also a fairly strong team overall. Akuma and Iori are interchangable as Akuma has a few bad match-ups that one has to be careful about.

K-Kyo/Geese/Cammy is well rounded in general as well.
  • CMXCMX Hateful Henry Joined: Posts: 1,178
    K-Kyo, Ken, Cammy (R2) thoughts on this team?

mainly i'm looking to know if there is any match ups all of them have in common or 2/3 of them have a bad match up in common.
    Making Designer Combos
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    Also, Vega's CC is rather average in terms of damage.

*head explodes*
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    *head explodes*

Your head is exploding why :confused:? Are we talking American Vega or Japanese Vega? American Vega's CC is a little over 6k isn't it which is kind of meh?
  • DentronDentron THUG LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,300
    I just got back into this game and I'm tryin to find a new team beside K-Kyo, Cammy, and Sagat

A-Yun, Akuma, Vega
    K-Mai, Kyo, Blanka
    A-Yun, Vega, Blanka
    N-Iori, Akuma, Sagat
    and K-Kyo, Geese, Cammy

tryin to eliminate some teams though but which one of those sounds like the best to use, I definately like using A-Yun and Akuma but I'm not sure whether to use Vega or Blanka as the anchor in that team

A-yun,akuma,vega as a team has like 0 hitpoints. unless you plan on not getting hit youre going to find that your matches dont last very long. What makes it worse is that if youre first 2 characters get raped vega doesnt give you a great chance to come back. if you were interested in a non-top tier A-groove team maybe try eagle/kyo/geese/iori/ken as anchors
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    *head explodes*

Last I checked, almost all of us are in america here.
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    Bull fighter's good regardless of the damage he takes or the Max damage his CC's can do.
    Saying his inclusion on a team is shitty unless you plan on not getting hit is a poor arguement; who here runs a gameplan where getting hit, where the total number of hit points a team runs factors into the forefront of strategy? If that was true, we should see more raiden, chang and geif teams.

Why do we not?
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    A-Yun, Akuma, Vega sounds like it would be a very annoying team to fight against. If you play that team properly I honestly would be pulling my hair out. Only problem is loltastic damage overall, and their CC's it's like getting hit with Sak's AA CC. I'M DOING SO MANY MOVES DEAR GOD 4000 DAMAGE.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut