The Current State of the World and US (updated first post)

Comments

• MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 16
    "Way More Americans May Be Atheists Than We Thought" (May 18th)
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/way-more-americans-may-be-atheists-than-we-thought/

Peer reviewed paper on the subject:
    https://osf.io/preprints/psyarxiv/edzda
    Our aggregate analysis, pooling across samples, provided an indirect atheism prevalence rate of 26%

Our overall estimate of around 26% is substantially higher than the 11% Gallup estimates often cited in work on the psychology of religion and atheism, and reliably higher than our self-report estimate of around 17% [14%, 21%], posterior probability = .93
    More and more people know an atheist personally, just as the number of people who report having a gay friend or family member has more than doubled over the past 25 years or so. Despite the fears that some nonbelievers have about coming out, 60 percent of Americans report knowing an atheist. Ten years ago, less than half the public reported knowing an atheist. Today, young adults are actually more likely to know an atheist than an evangelical Christian. These personal connections play a crucial role in reducing negative feelings. A decline in stigma may also encourage more atheists to come out. This would allow us to provide a more accurate estimate of atheists in the U.S. — is it 3 percent, 10 percent, or 26 percent? — and could fundamentally change our understanding of the American religious landscape.

Interesting that I'm part of that stat. All the evangelicals I knew are dead. Most of the atheists I know are my age. I guess people don't need religion to comfort them as much as the past AND that large, urban areas don't need a centralized location of the community, which churches provide in smaller, rural areas.

Churches are extremely important in small towns or sparsely populated areas. Everyone gets together there. You get married there. Marriage counseling there. And so on. It's the hub of a lot of the community.

The opposite in big cities. So many hobbies to do. You can make friends and acquaintances doing something you like. You can then decide to switch to a new hobby and make new acquaintances. Church is just one of many options.
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 590
    I can see MCP is shilling hard. Hope your getting paid.
    American Gov thread should be reopened...
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,070
    I think most of us here are for abortion and free education

However most of us are also against getting useless degrees

If you can't make a career out of your masters you failed yourself
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,707
    "Free" education isnt free.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    Well yeah

The american education system is based on raking the most amount from students as possible

The "free" community college could be a boon in creating a larger & certified workforce

Some people will never be good students, but all that bs from schools and tv will never show that

Trade schools and other options like that do exist.

I kind of wish we set up kids for success, but that is only kids who have both drive and good direction
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 19,869 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    MCP wrote: »
    Starhammer wrote: »
    aw DAYUM. Video of some ISIS dude getting tossed off a building and lit up with lead. I won't (read: haven't figured out how to do it) link directly to the vid, but it's in this site.

http://taskandpurpose.com/video-appears-show-iraqi-soldiers-throwing-suspected-isis-militant-off-building/

You reap what you sow.

-Starhammer-
    I agree any ISIS "militants" should be murdered. (lol AP style. They're fucking terrorists)

The problem with this incident is the lack of control. Boring old justice would murder the same fucker just the same.

When boring, slow justice is removed for those immediate, good feelings, then the entire area is ripe to become a hotbed of vigilante justice, violence, rape, and thievery. Soldiers go to homes, 'we'll execute you as IS members and get away with it unless you give me your daughter and all your stuff. We tossed that guy off the roof and we'll do the same to you'

IS was fully guilt of the above and when a new military comes in and does the same, it shows a lack of discipline and retards the healing process.

If the Iraqi government wants to conclude execution is to be done by tossing off a building and shooting them, then please, do so after a court trial. IS did it to gay men, it might even be a fair death, in its own way.

Anyways, these unfortunate soldiers will get some kind of discipline for their actions:
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/13/mosul-killing-video-footage-purportedly-showing-iraqis-getting-revenge-on-isis-militants-sparks-probe-outcry.html
    Witnesses have been reporting to Human Rights Watch an increasing number of torture incidents and killings of suspected ISIS militants in the Mosul area.

So while it feels good, there will be consequences for disobeying orders:
    An interior ministry spokesman said that if the video was authentic those responsible must be brought to justice.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40593405

yeah. You can always expect the "Moral" ones to try and point out the wrong doings AFTER the monsters(ISIS) have been chased off. If only they had been so involved when the troubles started there may not have been a need, nor even a desire to practice such extreme measures. If they want to make a difference, pick up a gun and help get rid of the oppressors. I'm not saying that they are wrong. By the law they are right, but it's because of the failure of the law that the army had to be called in to restore order. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I damn sure won't come on your block starting shit when I see the corpses of my fellow gang members turned to swiss cheese on the dirt.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    "Donald Trump's Base Is Shrinking" (May 24th)
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-base-is-shrinking/

There’s been a considerable decline in the number of Americans who strongly approve of Trump, from a peak of around 30 percent in February to just 21 or 22 percent of the electorate now.

And voters who strongly disapprove of Trump outnumber those who strongly approve of him by about a 2-to-1 ratio

The data suggests, in particular, that the GOP’s initial attempt (and failure) in March to pass its unpopular health care bill may have cost Trump with his core supporters.
    The number of Americans who strongly disapprove of Trump has sharply risen since early in his term, meanwhile, from the mid-30s in early February to 44.1 percent as of Tuesday. In most surveys, Trump’s strongly disapprove rating exceeds his overall approval rating, in fact.
    After a slight uptick in the first two to three weeks of his term, Trump’s strong approval ratings have headed downward. But it hasn’t been a steady decline. Instead, they fell considerably from about 29 percent on March 6 — when Republicans introduced their health care bill — to around 24 percent on April 1, shortly after the GOP pulled the bill from the House floor. They then remained stable for much of April, before beginning to fall again this month after the reintroduction (and House passage) of the health care bill and after Trump fired FBI director James Comey on May 9. As of Tuesday, just 21.4 percent of Americans strongly approved of Trump’s performance.
    During last year’s presidential primaries, Trump received about 14 million votes out of a total of 62 million cast between the two parties, which works out to 23 percent of the total. So perhaps it’s not a coincidence that 20 to 25 percent of the country still strongly supports Trump; they were with him from the start.
    So while there’s risk to Democrats in underestimating Trump’s resiliency, there’s an equal or perhaps greater risk to Republicans in thinking Trump’s immune from political gravity.

"The Art Of Cherry-Picking Polls" (Jun 16th)
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-art-of-cherry-picking-polls/
    Lots of people in politics cherry-pick favorable polls. President Trump is no exception. On Friday, Trump tweeted about a poll from Rasmussen Reports that put his approval rating at 50 percent. That poll, however, was one of his better results from a pollster that tends to find better results for Trump, compared to the many approval polls that we track daily.

However, if we see this image, it's an outlier poll.
    mehta-rasmussen-0616-number.png?quality=90&strip=info&w=1150&ssl=1

My dude, 5 30 8 is about as trash as buzzfeed polls on trump.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    Meh, trump has the lowest approval rating of any sitting president ever

It is his first big accomplishment

Imagine his first actual policy change
  • dodgers2213dodgers2213 Joined: Posts: 3,011
    edited July 17
    Yeah he's getting killed in the polls
    goeDiIp.jpg

Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
    Uh old shit
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,118

It surely was accurate then
    Donald Trump is the nickelback of politics

Extremely popular to a certain sect of people

The answer to why trump won is because more republicans were put in place where there votes mattered

Even though clinton won the popular vote she would have lost the electoral college

The president being donald trump is just fucking stupid. Like i would have taken ted cruz over him. I would have definitely voted for cruz over hilary.

But this at least means for the next 4 years all of obama's stuff stays the same good or bad. Change only happens in second terms. Trump is spending his entire first term rallying for the next term. It is funny.

Been quiet though
    Raij1n wrote: »
    This moment made the entire election coverage worth watching...

nate.jpg

l9mMr6Z.jpg <<<My personal favorite.

With all the criticism that Trump is facing, this is at least one guy who has some points worth listening to.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    I wonder if she wins the popular vote without dead voters and illegal immigrants.

Or you know, if we just subtract CA from both candidates you she she loses the popular vote by a million
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
    Eh, she still won states

But voting in presidential elections mean nothing

Who ever is voted in as state rep votes via party lines
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,945 admin
    here's Nate Silver (main dude from 538) during the campaign

better pay attention to him because he's not an idiot.
    He's reading tea leaves as a science: it's not an easy task. Look at the MoE in the image dodgers put up. Some polls were correct, some were not. 538 took a pretty great look at that phenomenon. The cultishness of Trump supporters makes the whole situation fairly unprecedented. Some organization, and I'm sorry because I'm still buzzed from Evo so am forgetting whom, did a look at a bunch of poll questions and while the liberal answers to "is this right/wrong/bad/good" situations didn't change based upon the party of the person involved, the conservative answers almost entirely depended upon the party of the person involved, not the situation. If facts don't matter - if you disregard anything that disagrees with your world view, and even worse label anybody that disrupts your narrative as liars regardless of truthfulness - then it's going to be impossible to rationally analyze behavior. Being involved in polls and poll analysis is understandably going to involve a lot of eating crow: I think 538 has been pretty honest and open about their failures. I'd be interested in sources of consistently perfect polling.

Trump Criticizes Trump cracks me up. Also it makes me sad inside. The hypocrisy is real.

The president(?) of the NRA-AA (IIRC) had a great point in a recent discussion: he said that it's OK to agree to disagree, but it's not OK to disconnect. People fuck up: call them out on their specific mistakes, sure. But pretending that somebody can never be right, that categorically something is fake news, is just scarily anti-intellectual. Oh well.

I miss having a specific American Government thread. If we're going to have political discussions on SRK, it seems kind to keep all the cultishness in one place that others not interested in American politics don't have to be bothered with.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,118
    Preppy wrote: »
    here's Nate Silver (main dude from 538) during the campaign

better pay attention to him because he's not an idiot.

I miss having a specific American Government thread. If we're going to have political discussions on SRK, it seems kind to keep all the cultishness in one place that others not interested in American politics don't have to be bothered with.

Me too... Wait aren't you an admin? Reinstate it
    I try to pay attention to the big picture as I vaguely understand it, Pertho's smarter than I am on what it takes to make GD as excellent as possible. Even when I don't understand something, I figure he's got a plan. :tup:

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,808
    Can anyone update me on where Trump is regarding NAFTA and other free trade agreements? This is one area where I actually like Trump in that he's against them. Is he still trying to get rid of them?
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,320
    pedoviejo wrote: »
    Pedo my brotha. When you post you gotta learn to SLOW DOWN. No one's going to care to if your post comes out a minute slower than usual. It also saves you from looking illiterate to people who don't know you. IJS

Dab00g is on some left wing alex jones stupidity, without the credibility of being able to say i told you so. Stop it dude, pedestrian level nonsense

So...please explain what your grievances of boog's opinion has anything to do with your spelling. I must have missed something here.
    I remember talking about this subject on this very thread (iirc) way way way back something like 2009.

"College Tuition and Student Debt Is Crippling the Middle Class"
    https://www.thedailypopulist.com/2017/07/14/college-tuition-and-student-debt-is-crippling-the-middle-class/

There's more in the article. All sourced and independently verifiable.
    The United States once the pinnacle of math and science during World War II and the Space Race against the Soviets has now fallen far and fast behind the rest of the industrialized world. According to the 2015 PISA study which measures educational ranking in major subject areas, the United States ranks 35th in Math and 25th in Science. All far behind large western nations like Germany, The Netherlands, Canada, and France, whose newly elected President, Emmanuel Macron, has offered refuge to American scientists and engineers in the battle of curbing climate change. What do these countries have in common? Every one of them have free or heavily subsidized higher education programs. Germany grants students including international 100% tuition free college. The Netherlands costs justo over $3000. Canada only $5000. In France its a microscopic $585 per year. Norway $596. This list of countries who grant free or low cost higher education is lengthy and every single one of them rank ahead of the United States in at least one category in the PISA examination.
    The solution to both student loan debt and the cost of college tuition is rather simple. Students currently paying off their loans must be given the option to refinance their loans at far more reasonable rates closer to 2, 3, or 4%. The fact that one can get a car with a lower interest rate than an education makes little sense considering the nature of student loans and their ineligibility for bankruptcy.

The next step is to make all public colleges and universities tuition free. In a country which holds $80 trillion in wealth and whose military budget exceeds $600 billion, there is no reason to skip on investing in the bright young minds of tomorrow. The estimated costs of such a program would be a meager $62.6 billion, of which roughly one third is already spent on higher education as it is via the Pell Grant program.

This policy, championed by Senator Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic Primary, is a no brainer and the increased financial flexibility for middle class families would without question spur the economy. The time for predatory college lending and burdening of the middle class must end. It is long overdue for The United States, the richest country in the history of the world, to end the bloated and wasteful contracts for the military industrial complex and to begin investing in the education of its bright young students right here at home.

so wouldn't it make sense to stop giving everybody money to go study what are confirmed to be useless degrees? This is an issue we need to address, especialyl since we force the college meme on everybody, when not everybody should be going to college, nor should we be saturating our society with college grads given how utterly useless many of the degrees today really are. When the US dumped billions into education, it was to create a workforce with the skills of tomorrow. Gender studies, art, and much of the bullshit fluff out there isn't preparing our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow

Its not like that investment is going to go into STEM, you know, the real bright future of any civilized nation.

Also, are these studies also factoring the horrendous participation rate within problem demographics who have a problem with school? If we factor out the crap, where does the US stack. It's really retarded when people compare american rankings with nearly pure homogeneous populations. If we look at swedinstan, we are already seeing a rapid decrease in their education performance precisely because of a low tier demographic that has no buisness being there. How is the solution there more money being spent?

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/january/test-scores-ranking-011513.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/10/sweden-schools-crisis-political-failure-education

More money isn't going to solve our problem, when our problem is as Macron put it, "civilizational".

Higher education does nothing but creates service industries where nothing of value is generated. Most of the wealth established is from producing in terms of trades or extracting resources.
    Places like the Philippines was thriving when they did that but started to stagnate when they fell for the education meme and immigrating.

Wowwww. You can't possibly believe this can you? I mean, granted, I guess they have it pretty good in the MIddle East where most people are uneducated and obviously producing lots of value, right? :rolleyes:
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    Maybe Islam as a doctrine that is regressive and the antithesis of cultural and technological development has a lot to do with the shittiness of the middle east
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,808
    Maybe Islam as a doctrine that is regressive and the antithesis of cultural and technological development has a lot to do with the shittiness of the middle east

Realistically, its that and Western policy towards the region. I'm not denying the middle east is in many ways backwards, but American foreign policy played a big role in radicalization, and even the direct development of terrorist organizations.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 590
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    Pedo my brotha. When you post you gotta learn to SLOW DOWN. No one's going to care to if your post comes out a minute slower than usual. It also saves you from looking illiterate to people who don't know you. IJS

Dab00g is on some left wing alex jones stupidity, without the credibility of being able to say i told you so. Stop it dude, pedestrian level nonsense

So...please explain what your grievances of boog's opinion has anything to do with your spelling. I must have missed something here.
    I remember talking about this subject on this very thread (iirc) way way way back something like 2009.

https://www.thedailypopulist.com/2017/07/14/college-tuition-and-student-debt-is-crippling-the-middle-class/

The United States once the pinnacle of math and science during World War II and the Space Race against the Soviets has now fallen far and fast behind the rest of the industrialized world. According to the 2015 PISA study which measures educational ranking in major subject areas, the United States ranks 35th in Math and 25th in Science. All far behind large western nations like Germany, The Netherlands, Canada, and France, whose newly elected President, Emmanuel Macron, has offered refuge to American scientists and engineers in the battle of curbing climate change. What do these countries have in common? Every one of them have free or heavily subsidized higher education programs. Germany grants students including international 100% tuition free college. The Netherlands costs justo over $3000. Canada only $5000. In France its a microscopic $585 per year. Norway $596. This list of countries who grant free or low cost higher education is lengthy and every single one of them rank ahead of the United States in at least one category in the PISA examination.
    The solution to both student loan debt and the cost of college tuition is rather simple. Students currently paying off their loans must be given the option to refinance their loans at far more reasonable rates closer to 2, 3, or 4%. The fact that one can get a car with a lower interest rate than an education makes little sense considering the nature of student loans and their ineligibility for bankruptcy.

The next step is to make all public colleges and universities tuition free. In a country which holds $80 trillion in wealth and whose military budget exceeds $600 billion, there is no reason to skip on investing in the bright young minds of tomorrow. The estimated costs of such a program would be a meager $62.6 billion, of which roughly one third is already spent on higher education as it is via the Pell Grant program.

This policy, championed by Senator Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic Primary, is a no brainer and the increased financial flexibility for middle class families would without question spur the economy. The time for predatory college lending and burdening of the middle class must end. It is long overdue for The United States, the richest country in the history of the world, to end the bloated and wasteful contracts for the military industrial complex and to begin investing in the education of its bright young students right here at home.

so wouldn't it make sense to stop giving everybody money to go study what are confirmed to be useless degrees? This is an issue we need to address, especialyl since we force the college meme on everybody, when not everybody should be going to college, nor should we be saturating our society with college grads given how utterly useless many of the degrees today really are. When the US dumped billions into education, it was to create a workforce with the skills of tomorrow. Gender studies, art, and much of the bullshit fluff out there isn't preparing our workforce for the jobs of tomorrow

Its not like that investment is going to go into STEM, you know, the real bright future of any civilized nation.

Also, are these studies also factoring the horrendous participation rate within problem demographics who have a problem with school? If we factor out the crap, where does the US stack. It's really retarded when people compare american rankings with nearly pure homogeneous populations. If we look at swedinstan, we are already seeing a rapid decrease in their education performance precisely because of a low tier demographic that has no buisness being there. How is the solution there more money being spent?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/10/sweden-schools-crisis-political-failure-education

More money isn't going to solve our problem, when our problem is as Macron put it, "civilizational".

Higher education does nothing but creates service industries where nothing of value is generated. Most of the wealth established is from producing in terms of trades or extracting resources.
    Places like the Philippines was thriving when they did that but started to stagnate when they fell for the education meme and immigrating.

Wowwww. You can't possibly believe this can you? I mean, granted, I guess they have it pretty good in the MIddle East where most people are uneducated and obviously producing lots of value, right? :rolleyes:

Yeah. Countries like the UAE serve as an example of how effective it is.
    The only reason most of the middle east is a shit hole past foreign policy messes like Libya and Syria are royal families fucking up and spending all the wealth on themselves rather then reinvesting back in infrastructure.
    I'm not very comfortable with Don's Lemons ties to Russia

Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
  • mr_punkmr_punk Joined: Posts: 578
    edited July 18
    the govt thread is closed and yet somehow you guys still managed to make pertho more angry than a nfl player looking at a nba free agent contract. wtf! 4 yrs at 71 mil guaranteed for tim hardaway jr! are you kidding me, knicks!mjlol.png
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,491
    Pertho wrote: »

I dare you, no I double dare you to go over my head again, motherfucker.

That thread caused me nothing but misery and stress. Unless I am going to be financially compensated for putting up with it, the thread is not opening back up again in GD. That thread legitimately required more active moderation than the rest of GD and SF5 combined.

One thread.

One.

To be fair, the SFV section is a ghost town outside the general lounge, and GD lost a lot of activity to Discord.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    We all agree that trump is a horrible representative for american interests

Repealing obamacare will be a harder road to travel as you are just taking away insurance from 24 million people instantly instead of over a period of 10 years

At this point there is no going back, they should work to fix obamacare.

But trump had no plan and relied on congress. And again there will be a vote. Then there are still those in the gop who want the aca to live.

Right now anything trump supports is toxic

Just lol at nothing made by trump being made in the usa

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    DoctaMario wrote: »

Yeah. Countries like the UAE serve as an example of how effective it is.
    The only reason most of the middle east is a shit hole past foreign policy messes like Libya and Syria are royal families fucking up and spending all the wealth on themselves rather then reinvesting back in infrastructure.

UAE gives back more to its citizens than the US does so I don't see what the point of this comment is.
    This is offensive.
    Pertho wrote: »

I dare you, no I double dare you to go over my head again, motherfucker.

That thread caused me nothing but misery and stress. Unless I am going to be financially compensated for putting up with it, the thread is not opening back up again in GD. That thread legitimately required more active moderation than the rest of GD and SF5 combined.

One thread.

One.

:rofl: Pertho over there getting grey hairs and high blood pressure, but the baby has nothing to do with it.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    dab00g wrote: »
    We all agree that trump is a horrible representative for american interests

Repealing obamacare will be a harder road to travel as you are just taking away insurance from 24 million people instantly instead of over a period of 10 years

At this point there is no going back, they should work to fix obamacare.

But trump had no plan and relied on congress. And again there will be a vote. Then there are still those in the gop who want the aca to live.

Right now anything trump supports is toxic

Just lol at nothing made by trump being made in the usa

WHO IS "WE"

Obamacare is shit, and even those who passed it agreed that it was shit. There is no fixing obamacare. Government systems don't work unless you have a near homogeneous populatioin with respect to income level and cultural values. The idea that we should subsidize and provide healthcare for a population that by in large doens't give a shit about their helath is fucking absurd.

Secondly, isn't that what congress is supposed to do? Plan and push for laws? Isn't the current failure regarding repeal a failure of sitting senators and house memebers who where only larping, and now that Trump essentially gave them free reign to do something, they fail. HOw is that Trump's failure?

Also, what are shareholder obligations?

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
    *ascends from the all-concealing shadows and places a videoclip within the confines of this thread.*

*Returns to the all-concealing shadows.*

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
  • BR3N7BR3N7 Todays "fake news" is tomorrows "everyone does it" Joined: Posts: 1,910
    Trump had a undisclosed meeting with Putin at the G-20 summit.

You can't make this shit up at this point.

Trump in bed with more Russians than a Russian golden shower Prostitute.

https://washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-had-undisclosed-hour-long-meeting-with-putin-at-g20-summit/2017/07/18/39c18dd4-6bd0-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html?utm_term=.14abf1e7c83c#comments

• InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,147
    Comrade what is wrong with Russians? I enjoy Russian women very often!
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 19
    "California is changing its roads for self-driving cars"
    http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2017/07/12/57901/california-is-changing-its-roads-for-self-driving/
    How much money does the state need to make the roads ready for them to operate?

We just passed SB1, the new transportation revenue package. In my eyes, that’s a sufficient amount of resources for cities, counties and the state to properly maintain our existing infrastructure whether it’s roads, bridges, drainage systems like culverts, but it also identified intelligent transportation systems as one of the important items we need to maintain. That would be signals, cameras, changeable message signs, ramp meters and those things, so I think that there is adequate funding.

"changeable message signs"
    Tears of joy. I hope that includes dynamic speed signs.

p.s. I'm interviewing at one of those companies "Zoox". Self driving taxi car. They design the car from scratch, so it's not like many of the other companies that want to make existing cars go auto.

I also paid the $1000 to put myself in line for a Tesla Model 3. They claim it should have everything needed for "level 4" aka fully autonomous mode. I doubt that claim significantly, but willing to be surprised.

Taxi and uber drivers will need to change fields. If they want to stay in the same field, they'll need to become technicians and service for whatever the vehicles need.
    BR3N7 wrote: »

https://washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-had-undisclosed-hour-long-meeting-with-putin-at-g20-summit/2017/07/18/39c18dd4-6bd0-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html?utm_term=.14abf1e7c83c#comments

>G20
    >meets with foreign leaders

edited July 19
    Wasted wrote: »
    BR3N7 wrote: »

>G20
    >meets with foreign leaders
    > breach of national security protocol

I mean it's not like everybody else in the country is wondering what the fuck is going on with Russia and would appreciate a respectful cordial distance. I should clarify, in fairness: everybody except for the 25% cultishly devoted to Trump. I think that's right: they had another article on the phenomenon yesterday, calling it the Upside Down.

at least this is indeed international politics

Not a single mention of national security protocol is mentioned in the article, and it mentions he has also met alone with Macron and Modi.

A dinner chat held in plain sight is the least the worlds concerns.

Trump's plan is to not pay subsidy to kill off obamacare

Like come on. Even for his base that has to be mad evil right?

I mean i am sure trump is dumb and indignant enough to do that

But it would be that thing that pretty much drives the gop to abandon ship

Like he should that. Just for the shit storm and him pretty much filling that evil billionaire role people paint him as.
    edited July 19
    Trump's plan is to not pay subsidy to kill off obamacare

Like come on. Even for his base that has to be mad evil right?

I mean i am sure trump is dumb and indignant enough to do that

But it would be that thing that pretty much drives the gop to abandon ship

Like he should that. Just for the shit storm and him pretty much filling that evil billionaire role people paint him as.

we shouldn't have even paid that subsidy to begin with. If a system requires hundred of billions of dollars from the government to even work when its already making hundreds of billions of dollars, then its a shit plan. What obezzycare did is displace millions with ok insurance to give shit insurance to people without insurance. It's fucking retarded, and now a shit ton of people have 2k monlty payments, but that's not obezzycares fault because the state government should have accepted billions of taxpayers dollars that would have only allowed the system to work for3-4 years before the feds mandated that states raise the money on their own. Meaning insurance holders where going to have to pay signficantly more to begin with but at a later time....

Clearly a winning strategy dude.

It was said that you can keep your doctor,
    that was a lie, and we where feed the bullshit lie that those insurance plans where junk, so you have to pay more now for what we mandate to be good insurance

It was said that we where going to save billions in healthcare
    that was a lie, spending went up, and projections showed that we where going to spend significantly more per person because of obezzycare

It was said that insurance rates where going to go down
    that was a lie, and in fact people said that they knew insurance plans where going to go up due to it being a forced product on people, but they didn't expect it to go this high

Letting that shit fail, as everybody said it would when they said they didn't want it in the first place is the best thing to do.

Not a single mention of national security protocol is mentioned in the article, and it mentions he has also met alone with Macron and Modi.
    Not really my business if you and I pay different levels of attention to the world. In fact, I would expect that as I think we're different people. It's atypical as all hell, and given the ongoing Russian concerns is also surreal as all hell.
    I think you and I have different definitions of plain sight.

I also think it laughable to compare Putin to Macron and Modi. It's all good, though: it just doesn't matter to Trump fans and we get that. Carry on: I'll just be in the background quietly watching the trainwreck.
    Oh the scandals keep piling up. Drumpf is finished - Increasingly nervous man for the 14th time this year
    I feel like Increasingly Nervous Man should realize that the Republicans currently control Congress, and that largely is going to road-block any progress on holding Republicans accountable for anything. I'm sure McCain will furrow his brow once he gets back up to strength, but that's about it until they get forced into actually pretending like anything matters to them. Other than liberal tears, of course. Those are precious.

The results of the Mueller investigation should be faaaaaaaaaascinating.

edited July 19
    Preppy wrote: »
    Not really my business if you and I pay different levels of attention to the world. In fact, I would expect that as I think we're different people. It's atypical as all hell, and given the ongoing Russian concerns is also surreal as all hell.
    I think you and I have different definitions of plain sight.

"Leaders who witnessed the meeting were “bemused, nonplussed, befuddled” by the animated conversation, held in full view — but apparently not within listening distance..."

For once, someone links a text document for you and you still fail elementary English.
    I also think it laughable to compare Putin to Macron and Modi. It's all good, though: it just doesn't matter to Trump fans and we get that. Carry on: I'll just be in the background quietly watching the trainwreck.

Oh dear, you've gone full mr_punk now. Apparently it's OK to meet alone with other world leaders, but not Russia.
    Oh the scandals keep piling up. Drumpf is finished - Increasingly nervous man for the 14th time this year
    I feel like Increasingly Nervous Man should realize that the Republicans currently control Congress, and that largely is going to road-block any progress on holding Republicans accountable for anything. I'm sure McCain will furrow his brow once he gets back up to strength, but that's about it until they get forced into actually pretending like anything matters to them. Other than liberal tears, of course. Those are precious.

The results of the Mueller investigation should be faaaaaaaaaascinating.

Would actually be great to see Trump impeached, I've said that before. Then you'll get Pence, and then another Dem President in 2020. Then you'll completely collapse as a nation and I'll be sitting here laughing.

I do not understand the strategy of shutting out the democrats in helping make amendments and fixing the bill

All it did was skew it.

If we can get a truly bi-partisan bill it would change things

But McConnel and ryan don't want that

Why would dems vote for a bill they had no part in
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,650
    Well yeah

The american education system is based on raking the most amount from students as possible

The "free" community college could be a boon in creating a larger & certified workforce

Some people will never be good students, but all that bs from schools and tv will never show that

Trade schools and other options like that do exist.

I kind of wish we set up kids for success, but that is only kids who have both drive and good direction

Have college be like the military schools, the tech schools, advanced individual training, and the like. Then maybe America can get educated and/or learn a skill(s)...