UD-CPS2: Fully Consolized Capcom Play System 2

Comments

• zenblasterzenblaster Joined: Posts: 717
    Pm sent to purchase one of these.Let me know if you have one left.thanks
  • srt4mikesrt4mike Fargo Scrub Captain Joined: Posts: 165
    edited August 2014
    PM number two about purchasing one if they are still available. Hope to hear back :)
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,211
    undamned wrote: »
    So, some recent controller lag studies have been making the rounds (http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/191312/how-much-does-your-arcade-stick-lag-arcade-stick-input-lag-testing-results-thread/p1) and being as people have begun asking me questions about how UD-CPS2 relates to this, I have to point out an inadequacy of these recent tests. These tests do not reflect raw controller response time. These tests encompass how the console handles polling the controllers and the processing of the controller information in the game itself. There are far more variables running these controllers on an actual PS3 or X360 console than on UD-CPS2. The UD-CPS2 ignores the polling rate requested by the controller. It polls the controller in 1ms intervals for fresh data, regardless of the controller's USB descriptor.

In short, if you are a UD-CPS2 user, that list is not accurate for you. For kicks, I may test the worst controller on that list (PS3 Fightstick PRO) on UD-CPS2 with an oscilloscope and post the results here.
    -ud

My one regret is I can click AGREE only once. I applaud you good sir for your triumphs and your damnation of that heretic lag thread.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • ArgyleDXArgyleDX Joined: Posts: 0
    Hi undamned, I PM'ed you a while back, just thought I would see if these are still for sale? Let me know!
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,678
    ArgyleDX wrote: »
    Hi undamned, I PM'ed you a while back, just thought I would see if these are still for sale? Let me know!
    Sorry, I have a pile of PMs, e-mails, etc. to get to regarding UD-CPS2. I'll try and sort them in the next couple weeks. Short answer is: yes, technically they are still for sale, but I'm way behind and I will just keep adding names to the wait list with no guarantee as to when your name will come up (though I do a thorough job of keeping the order, based on date of contact).
    -ud
  • uzernaenuzernaen Joined: Posts: 3
    Someone please PM me how much does this thing cost
  • XMetalXMetal Just Be Madness Joined: Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Please put me on the list. How many are in the queue?
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,708
    You should PM undamned or email him for additional information:

udgametech@gmail.com
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Joined: Posts: 476
    This is an amazing thing you're doing here. I hope you don't get burned out on it.
  • Br0ken_Engli5hBr0ken_Engli5h Joined: Posts: 232

I tried to give you and some other people shout outs in the interview, but I guess that's not really the style of the article, so they didn't make the cut :( You work on the faceplate is still very dear to me :D
    -ud

Don't even worry about it, mate, the faceplate was but a tiny part of it compared with the time and work you've put in. Congratulations on the article, you must be really chuffed. :smile:
  • braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    Undamned I read the article and learned a bit about cps2 and the significance of what you are doing. Keep up the amazing work, hopefully I'll have enough in my ud-cps2 fund to shoot you a pm someday before you stop doing this.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I need one of these for Alpha 2, I just ordered the A+B board and was gonna do a super gun, but I'm thinking this is a better option.
    braves01 wrote: »
    Undamned I read the article and learned a bit about cps2 and the significance of what you are doing. Keep up the amazing work, hopefully I'll have enough in my ud-cps2 fund to shoot you a pm someday before you stop doing this.
    Thanks!
    I need one of these for Alpha 2, I just ordered the A+B board and was gonna do a super gun, but I'm thinking this is a better option.
    Better go the supergun route. It is ulikely I will be building any new orders this year (huge backlog of old orders, not much time, etc.).
    -ud
    Thanks for the heads up.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,372
    Hey @undamned , did you ever release any additional info on your DC-DC converter that you mention in your first post? :)
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • stereomonkeystereomonkey Joined: Posts: 4
    I will also be making available the internal DC/DC converter used in the UD-CPS2 so people can use those in their own consolization/supergun projects! When those are available, I will update this post with a link to a separate thread.

Are these still being looked at? I wouldn't having something like this for my Supergun.

Hey @undamned , did you ever release any additional info on your DC-DC converter that you mention in your first post? :)
    Are these still being looked at? I wouldn't having something like this for my Supergun.
    Hey, guys. I have not released any info on these, as I got way side-tracked w/ getting the decoders out there and available since that's what most of the clamor was about. Just know that they only put out +5 and +12 volts. No -5V, so if you build them into a supergun which you wish to use a huge variety of boards on, chances are you are going to encounter a game that needs -5V for its audio amp or something. I'll see about putting together a data sheet for them and making them available this year.
    -ud
  • otsepotsep Joined: Posts: 1
    Email sent.
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    edited April 2015
    Hey, guys. I have not released any info on these, as I got way side-tracked w/ getting the decoders out there and available since that's what most of the clamor was about. Just know that they only put out +5 and +12 volts. No -5V, so if you build them into a supergun which you wish to use a huge variety of boards on, chances are you are going to encounter a game that needs -5V for its audio amp or something. I'll see about putting together a data sheet for them and making them available this year.
    -ud

any issue with using PicoPSUs as a power source? that way, not only will you get -5V, you could possibly also get 3.3V for JVS gaming.

**EDIT**

Just re-looked, -5v isn't available with the stock config, BUT that's nothing a Negatron won't fix.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
    any issue with using PicoPSUs as a power source? that way, not only will you get -5V, you could possibly also get 3.3V for JVS gaming.

**EDIT**

Just re-looked, -5v isn't available with the stock config, BUT that's nothing a Negatron won't fix.
    Ouch $20 to get -5V? I'd throw that on my board for $5, if I needed it, but I don't.
    -ud
    I've used a PicoPSU to power a Naomi, and had no issues. I'm presuming I wouldn't have any issues with one in a Supergun or consolized CPS2 either, but it'd probably be way more economical to wait for undamned to release his converter.
    Ouch $20 to get -5V? I'd throw that on my board for $5, if I needed it, but I don't.
    That's ok, skip the -5V for now. Just give us the board with the +5V/+12V! :D

Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    it seems that with the UD-USB, and this rumored DC-DC board, the only thing that's missing is the RGB to HDMI scaler. I've found a few out there, but I don't want to drop $40+ to be met with some pretty heinous frame lag issues. Maybe using a JROK would be best.

sorry, off topic, I know.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    the only thing that's missing is the RGB to HDMI scaler. I've found a few out there, but I don't want to drop $40+ to be met with some pretty heinous frame lag issues.
    I would venture to say any $40 scaler is guaranteed to be rubbish. There are multiple scaler projects going on right now on a few forums which look very promising. Ballpark seems to be sub $100 for lag free (the output lines are being written while the input lines are being read, so no need for a frame buffer) scaling. Won't have all the whizbang features and flexibility of an XRGB or other high end scaler, but if it fits the application, the performance should be amazing.
    -ud

edited April 2015
    I just re-read the entire thread and realized that you're not using HDMI.

*smacks forehead*

oops :tongue:

and I agree with you. I've worked with some real garbage in the past and I'm really leaning into getting a Framemeister (XRGB MINI) for use on HD screens.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,211
    edited April 2015
    Oh my HD TV since it has VGA input I went with a XRGB 2 Plus.
    Only issue is the XRGB2 Plus only does 640x480 VGA, but my TV has a good DAC so any effect from upscaling is not noticed.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • beast1x5beast1x5 Joined: Posts: 63
    once im back from japan I'm definitely purchasing one... and courtesy of my xrgb mini.. I look forward to playing my copies of X-men vs sf , ST and alien vs predator on my setup
  • braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    At the risk of being somewhat redundant...PM'd for a ud-cps2 order. Hopefully you were able to see it ud, but the other sites I frequent have somewhat unreliable PM systems.
  • SuperkingSuperking dat mooney dolemite Joined: Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to PM for an order, even though I live in Japan now.

Edit: I forgot to ask in the pm, but it only has two USB ports, how could this work for say AvP or either D&D?
    Post edited by Superking on
    DS: she's looking hot in that interview, fuck, keep in mind, i don't have yellow fever, i just know a hot girl when i see one, gonna rape her and call her julia chang
    Superking: lol
    DS: julia chang for life
  • jugosojugoso FG enthusiast Joined: Posts: 207
    hi, everyone

I'm having trouble with an xtokki converter: can't remap the buttons (no light blinking). I've done button remaps on other sticks without problem.

Other than that, works A-OK

Anyone got a saying? @undamned
    jugoso wrote: »
    hi, everyone

I'm having trouble with an xtokki converter: can't remap the buttons (no light blinking). I've done button remaps on other sticks without problem.

Other than that, works A-OK

Anyone got a saying? @undamned
    I don't know how the button order is handled on that device, so all I can recommend is to hold down many buttons when plugging in.
    -ud
    edited May 2015
    the button order is sf4-ok. The thing is that this guy plays with a non-standard layout.

I'd say "get used to the new layout", but he's been playing with that layout for at least 18 years. we already held all buttons when plugging in, but no go

Smells like some sort peculiar race condition between xtokki and the usb decoder at the beginning

Thanks for the quick answer, btw
    Smells like some sort peculiar race condition between xtokki and the usb decoder at the beginning
    I think you are correct! I think if I implement a small delay before I begin reading inputs (to give time for Xtokki to begin sending live button presses), that would make it work. I will add that to my "To Do" list for the next firmware update. No promises, but I bet that fixes it.
    -ud
    edited May 2015
    I think an ingame way to reassign inputs would be more practical. There are adapters that require plugging and unplugging usb conectors, which would take a lot of time.

May I recommend holding start+up+lp at any time? This requires that player is aware of what he's doing as you need to change your hand position on the stick/pad
  • RotaniborRotanibor @ROTANIBOR Joined: Posts: 202
    I've been looking for a cheap PlayStations to USB converter/adapter for a while now that functions on the UD-CPS2. I got a bit frustrated and ordered several cheap ones from eBay and one of them ended up working just fine. I noticed that the PC reads it as a PS3 controller, and plugging it in didn't even install any drivers, so I'm thinking maybe that's why it works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271748879340
    UZdF3Wdm.jpg

This one didn't come with any sort of packaging, but I noticed similar listings afterwards that showed it with packaging like this one>
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-to-PS3-PC-USB-Controller-Adapter-Converter-for-PS2-Game-Controller-/170858556406

Hopefully this is helpful to someone

edited June 2015
    Rotanibor wrote: »

Does it support button re-mapping? Have you tested the earlier with DS2? PS digital pads? 3rd party ps/ps1/ps2 controller/stick?
  • RotaniborRotanibor @ROTANIBOR Joined: Posts: 202
    edited June 2015

Does it support button re-mapping? Have you tested the earlier with DS2? PS digital pads? 3rd party ps/ps1/ps2 controller/stick?

I tested it with a Hori HRAP Tekken 5 PCB, and a DualShock 2 (SCPH-10010 A) and both work. Just confirmed it works on my MC Cthulhu stick right now too.

Decided to dig through my closet for my other pads and can confirm these work as well:
    -DualShock 1 (SCPH-1200 A)
    -PS1 Digital (SCPH-1080 H)

One I'd call non-working is a 3rd party PS1 "ASCII Enhanced Pad" with turbo functions that ended up behaving a bit strangely, but everything kind of worked. There could just be a problem with the pad itself though.

All of this was tested on the UD-CPS2, I only tried a DualShock 2 when testing it on a PC.

I didn't think of testing button remapping before since all my stuff is on the standard UD-USB layout but sadly the converter does not seem to support button remapping. :(

For all controllers tested I came up with:
    Square = LP
    Triangle = MP
    R1 = HP
    Cross = LK
    Circle = MK
    R2 = HK

If that standard layout is fine for you there shouldn't be any problem. I rarely find people that want to change that layout on pad, and honestly most sticks should probably just be re-wired to match that if they're not already using that.
    Post edited by Rotanibor on
    Thanks, man.

Still, you gotta respect those been-playing-for-nearly-20-years-with-the-same-PS-pad OGs* who are unwilling to open their pads risking their pad to have differences on reassamble.

*: also members of the parallel-port-adapter-still-using-WinXP club.
    I didn't think of testing button remapping before since all my stuff is on the standard UD-USB layout but sadly the converter does not seem to support button remapping. :(
    As mentioned earlier on this page, I plan to add a delay to the start of button "hold" time before mapping mode begins to see if this helps some converters or controllers that don't start reporting live button values for a few data cycles after being plugged in (problematic). That would be great if that's all that was needed to get these working.
    -ud
    As mentioned earlier on this page, I plan to add a delay to the start of button "hold" time before mapping mode begins to see if this helps some converters or controllers that don't start reporting live button values for a few data cycles after being plugged in (problematic). That would be great if that's all that was needed to get these working.
    -ud

You taking orders yet @undamned
  • VeliusVelius Joined: Posts: 270
    the only thing that's missing is the RGB to HDMI scaler. I've found a few out there, but I don't want to drop $40+ to be met with some pretty heinous frame lag issues.
    I would venture to say any $40 scaler is guaranteed to be rubbish. There are multiple scaler projects going on right now on a few forums which look very promising. Ballpark seems to be sub $100 for lag free (the output lines are being written while the input lines are being read, so no need for a frame buffer) scaling. Won't have all the whizbang features and flexibility of an XRGB or other high end scaler, but if it fits the application, the performance should be amazing.
    -ud

can i get a link to these forums so i can track their progress?

That's clearly from someone else.
    undamned's doesn't have DA-15 plugs for controllers, toggle switches, nor HDMI out.

Looking for:
    Velius wrote: »
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52216
    Mmm, I've been technically taking orders for a couple years now, but by taking orders I mean putting peoples' names on a list and slowly working through. I'm way behind on even updating my names list, so I owe a lot of returned PMs and e-mails to people. If you want in (could be over a year out), let me know.
    No, I don't paint my systems or plaster "DOLBY DIGITAL" all over my stuff, lol. Analog stereo digitized into 7.1 audio! Also features 8 frames of video lag! When your friends beat you, just tell them it's because of the video lag! Just kidding, but I highly doubt goofball has installed a high end scaler. Likely one of those $50 SCART->HDMI boxes you can find on Amazon and many other places.
    -ud
    Velius wrote: »
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158
    http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52216
    Mmm, I've been technically taking orders for a couple years now, but by taking orders I mean putting peoples' names on a list and slowly working through. I'm way behind on even updating my names list, so I owe a lot of returned PMs and e-mails to people. If you want in (could be over a year out), let me know.
    No, I don't paint my systems or plaster "DOLBY DIGITAL" all over my stuff, lol. Analog stereo digitized into 7.1 audio! Also features 8 frames of video lag! When your friends beat you, just tell them it's because of the video lag! Just kidding, but I highly doubt goofball has installed a high end scaler. Likely one of those $50 SCART->HDMI boxes you can find on Amazon and many other places.
    -ud

I figured it wasn't yours lol Add me to the list, I'll buy one. I'll be in Korea for the next year after this deployment so it should hopefully be done upon my triumphant return to the US. Do you just want me to shoot you a email? @undamned
  • Ravage CRavage C Joined: Posts: 15
    Would love to be added to the list of people interested in an UD-CPS2.