UD-CPS2: Fully Consolized Capcom Play System 2

Comments

• beast1x5beast1x5 Joined: Posts: 63
    Hey UD you can definitely add me to the list this time around.. i have 2 a boards with your name on em!
  • jugosojugoso FG enthusiast Joined: Posts: 207
    edited August 2015
    Good news, everyone (having ps[12x]→ps3|x360 problems)
    201208061503047205.jpg

The mayflash universal adapter works A-OK with ud-cps2's usb decoders and ps1|psx controllers. It even works with the decoder's re-map function!. Just make sure of the following:
    • The dip switches behind the adapter must have both labeled as '3' on on/up. The rest, leave them off/down. You can experiment with these, but do mind that if the adapter is not on either ps3 mode or xbox360 mode, it will enter pc mode, and will not work.
    • Sometimes, when using an non-analog psx controller, the adapter wouldn't pick it up. In order to tackle this, we made used a working ps2 controller with the adapter to re-map the buttons, and then disconnect it and plug the digital controller in. The adapter will isolate the real controller from the decoder and "keep itself plugged" to the later.

No, it is not the cheapest option to plug ps2 controllers, but it works with those really messy psx controllers and allows remapping (however cumbersome it may seem to you).

PS: You can check out the old man's use of his psx controller + mayflash on Old Fei Long here and here. Totally worth all the struggle.

Cross posted at the usb decoder thread here
  • lilralphielilralphie Joined: Posts: 2
    Definitely interested. E-mailed but will also PM! Thanks!
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 898
    Bump
    Played a shitload of ST on one of these at Rewired (mini-major) in Tucson last weekend with one of the best ST Blanka players in the US @Fromo and various other people from the AZ FGC.
    Damn I want one of these.

@undamned you need to come over and test all these Eightarc sticks while I have them available. I already sold all the Qanba Q1 cut sticks I had (I confirmed 360 one works just fine)
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • stereomonkeystereomonkey Joined: Posts: 4
    undamned wrote: »
    Hey @undamned , did you ever release any additional info on your DC-DC converter that you mention in your first post? :)
    Are these still being looked at? I wouldn't having something like this for my Supergun.
    Hey, guys. I have not released any info on these, as I got way side-tracked w/ getting the decoders out there and available since that's what most of the clamor was about. Just know that they only put out +5 and +12 volts. No -5V, so if you build them into a supergun which you wish to use a huge variety of boards on, chances are you are going to encounter a game that needs -5V for its audio amp or something. I'll see about putting together a data sheet for them and making them available this year.
    -ud

Did you have a chance for a possible write up? :)

• ISLEDGEIISLEDGEI Hero of Earth Joined: Posts: 22
    Is this thread still going? I wanted to know the price of a UD-CPS2 board before placing an order.
  • MILWALALAYMILWALALAY GTO Joined: Posts: 7
    Same here. I also would like to know.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Team Arcade Stream Joined: Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @undamned You still slammed with orders or can I put in for one
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,679
    I haven't been able to get back into building since last summer. Work been rough, busy with family, tired, etc. Hopefully later this year I'll get back to it. There's probably 100 people in queue, so don't hold your breath.
    -ud
  • jblairjblair mad tight Joined: Posts: 1,283
    Ah. Good to see you back. I wonder if I will ever get one :(
  • lilralphielilralphie Joined: Posts: 2
    I haven't been able to get back into building since last summer. Work been rough, busy with family, tired, etc. Hopefully later this year I'll get back to it. There's probably 100 people in queue, so don't hold your breath.
    -ud

Glad to see you're still around. Excited for whenever you get back into it!!
  • VGC1612VGC1612 Joined: Posts: 1
    Take your time,it has no emergency.Cant wait to get mine though
  • WoodWood Joined: Posts: 189
    Real talk, after getting all of the pieces together, I now have your UD-CPS2 running ST and I love it! Now the issue I'm running into is having to get a framemeister to run it when I don't have access to a CRT (here in Korea) and to capture. Other than that, love it!
    Wood wrote: »
    Real talk, after getting all of the pieces together, I now have your UD-CPS2 running ST and I love it! Now the issue I'm running into is having to get a framemeister to run it when I don't have access to a CRT (here in Korea) and to capture. Other than that, love it!
    Cool! Yeah, Framemeisters are expensive :( I think the older XRGBs may do well with it. Maybe do some digging for information on those.
    -ud
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,708

We have some options we've been experimenting with both with streaming off a CRT with RCA cables and S-Video, as well as running setups off of a LCD TV with low lag. We've been trying out TWO upscalers specifically with CRT -> LCD in mind:

The first is this: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-HDMI2AV-Support-Output/dp/B00P12BOO8

It uses common RCA inputs but works fairly well. I didn't run any technical tests other than playing on a Supergun with ST hooked up, and felt like there was VERY minimal lag, in the order of less than 1 or 2 frames. I feel it is a common substitute for CRT or arcade cab play.

Next up is one specific to PS2: https://www.amazon.com/HDV-G300-HDMI-Converter-Scaler-1080P/dp/B0093JQM56

Works extremely well for PS2 setups (in this case, tested with CVS2 on PS2). It's only downside is that it's ONLY for PS2 games, which severely limits its use to a small handful of games.
  • [OCT]Wall-Garants[OCT]Wall-Garants Joined: Posts: 41
    Hello Undamned like to buy a motherboard UDCPS2 You would have a ready? Could you pass the values?
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,382
    @[OCT]Wall-Garants

Doesn't look likely. Check out undamned's post from a few months ago. He's backlogged like crazy.
    -ud

On that thought, I've had a spare CPS-2 A-board that I've been meaning to consolize myself.
    Still waiting on specs for that DC/DC converter so that I can avoid using a PicoPSU in there. :D

Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    Thank you friend I had not seen this post,I intend to stay in the queue.
  • johnhandyjohnhandy Joined: Posts: 192
    As an FYI, this works great hooked up to the OSSC with a PSX SCART cable.
  • DH020DH020 R.A.D Joined: Posts: 569
    I put name on the list two years ago and I'm still waiting for my UD-CPS2 for those people who are recently trying to join the list :)
  • arcadearcade the new guy Joined: Posts: 9
    Wow I did not realize how backed up he is. I would like to add myself to the list please. I would like to run ST tournaments
    love me some fighters.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,305
    arcade wrote: »
    Wow I did not realize how backed up he is. I would like to add myself to the list please. I would like to run ST tournaments

You might want to see if their even is a list first before you asked to be put on it.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    eltrouble wrote: »

We have some options we've been experimenting with both with streaming off a CRT with RCA cables and S-Video, as well as running setups off of a LCD TV with low lag. We've been trying out TWO upscalers specifically with CRT -> LCD in mind:

The first is this: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-HDMI2AV-Support-Output/dp/B00P12BOO8

It uses common RCA inputs but works fairly well. I didn't run any technical tests other than playing on a Supergun with ST hooked up, and felt like there was VERY minimal lag, in the order of less than 1 or 2 frames. I feel it is a common substitute for CRT or arcade cab play.

Next up is one specific to PS2: https://www.amazon.com/HDV-G300-HDMI-Converter-Scaler-1080P/dp/B0093JQM56

Works extremely well for PS2 setups (in this case, tested with CVS2 on PS2). It's only downside is that it's ONLY for PS2 games, which severely limits its use to a small handful of games.

I am on the process of hacking one of these small upscalers to make it "universal" or at least my original purpose, that is to use it to convert classi Xbox RCA to HDMI.

The wii 2 hdmi is "just" an upscaler it just needs the y pb pr entries (yuv) and the power (+5v/ 12v)
    then it converts the signal to hdmi, its just a matter of soldering the good points
    Here is a thread at assemblers where they tear apart the adapter

assemblergames.com/l/threads/wii2hdmi-insides.57239/

The Wii2Hdmi (in wich this ps2 adapter is inspired/knock off) is way cheaper and can serve as a guinea pig to my purpose.
    eltrouble wrote: »

I am on the process of hacking one of these small upscalers to make it "universal" or at least my original purpose, that is to use it to convert classi Xbox RCA to HDMI.

The wii 2 hdmi is "just" an upscaler it just needs the y pb pr entries (yuv) and the power (+5v/ 12v)
    then it converts the signal to hdmi, its just a matter of soldering the good points
    Here is a thread at assemblers where they tear apart the adapter

assemblergames.com/l/threads/wii2hdmi-insides.57239/

The Wii2Hdmi (in wich this ps2 adapter is inspired/knock off) is way cheaper and can serve as a guinea pig to my purpose.

Question is how well this little box handles other resolutions, 240p and so on. The Wii was designed with 480i/480p in mind.

There also issues with this thing handling Interlaced video
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f291/hdmikey-playstation-2-possible-lets-find-out-109365/index4.html#post1029127

In the long run you are better off with something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETRHP-Component-Converter-support/dp/B003VJ9RP6

Mod the Wii2HDMI and it does not work you are out of luck.
    This thing can be use without modding and if it does nto work you can get a refund.
    Unless you contacted me years ago, it is unlikely that I will be building a UD-CPS2s for you. I still have parts to build about 25 units and those are probably triple accounted for (meaning no need to send me messages asking to take someone's spot if they bail). Life has gotten busy to the point where I'd like to shift gears to simply making kits for people to do their own conversions (or have a capable modder do it for them). Video output will certainly include RGB, as that is native to the hardware, but I may ditch the existing video encoder board as I am pursuing custom internal upscaling options. If that doesn't pan out to my liking (speed, resolution, etc.), I'll just leave video totally up to the installer. I should be releasing more details later this year.
    -ud
    Gummo wrote: »
    Can I sign up for the capable modder list?
    That should go without saying :D
    -ud
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,382
    I'd like to believe that I can be one of these "capable modders", but my track record will show that I'll just end up building 'em for myself. :D

That being said, I'd be totally in for a kit. Hell, I'm still waiting on your DC-DC converter designs! Haha!
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    edited January 27

Gummo you are far better of a modder than me and I think I am capable to mimic undamned's work if I have access to a DIY UD-CPS2 Kit.
    It should be similar to building a Supergun.
  • ShinJNShinJN President/COO & Co-Founder of Level Up, LLC, Event & Stream Director/Producer, Old School Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes! This is an awesome update. Sign me up for 4 kits!
    Jimmy Nguyen
    Level Up, LLC - COO, CFO, CTO, Tech/Production/Stream/Event Director - www.levelup-productions.com, www.levelup-series.com
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2409761/#Comment_2409761
    edited January 27
    ShinJN wrote: »
    There is no kits yet.
    This is only speculation at this point.

Lets give time for Undammed to hammer out the details first.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,472
    Darksakul wrote: »

Gummo you are far better of a modder than me and I think I am capable to mimic undamned's work if I have access to a DIY UD-CPS2 Kit.

It's not about the skill im concerned about. I just want to be first on that hypothetical list before others get to it.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!

It's not about the skill im concerned about. I just want to be first on that hypothetical list before others get to it.

That is no problem, knowing you and how you go about things you warn the rest of us any pitfalls of doing the Mod.
    And if anyone should have the right to claim first, I think it should be the guy who dives into modding a pad or board before anyone else.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,472
    Mostly because I want to get the queue moving so I can make one for myself :D
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • ShinJNShinJN President/COO & Co-Founder of Level Up, LLC, Event & Stream Director/Producer, Old School Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    There is no kits yet.
    This is only speculation at this point.

Lets give time for Undammed to hammer out the details first.

Yup, I know. I'm simply being super amped about the news going public after knowing about it for a while.

Gummo, allow me to be #1 on your queue when it opens.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    Level Up, LLC - COO, CFO, CTO, Tech/Production/Stream/Event Director - www.levelup-productions.com, www.levelup-series.com
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2409761/#Comment_2409761
  • DeepThoughtsDeepThoughts Joined: Posts: 827
    Haha, Gummo getting his own queue already...
    Seriously, though, glad to see this project isn't going to die. I was a getting a little worried there for awhile. I assume the faceplates (I forget who made those) will be part of the kit as well?
    "When he was turned down following a November 2 interview, police say he stuffed an Xbox down his pants and left the store."
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    Unless you contacted me years ago, it is unlikely that I will be building a UD-CPS2s for you. I still have parts to build about 25 units and those are probably triple accounted for (meaning no need to send me messages asking to take someone's spot if they bail). Life has gotten busy to the point where I'd like to shift gears to simply making kits for people to do their own conversions (or have a capable modder do it for them). Video output will certainly include RGB, as that is native to the hardware, but I may ditch the existing video encoder board as I am pursuing custom internal upscaling options. If that doesn't pan out to my liking (speed, resolution, etc.), I'll just leave video totally up to the installer. I should be releasing more details later this year.
    -ud

I'd like to be on the capable modder list as well.. or at least have you issue kits to make these. I've made a few consolized CPS2 A boards this past year.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • AtariAtari Joined: Posts: 13
    I'd like to be on the capable modder list as well.. or at least have you issue kits to make these. I've made a few consolized CPS2 A boards this past year.

I can vouch for Lemony. He did a fabulous CPS2 consolization for me prior to Canada Cup this year, and it was used there extensively. We used a PICO PSU, J-rok 4.1 video encoder, and UD-USB converters. It has 2 video outputs, one s-video and one RGB or component (selectable with a 2-way switch), so it is super easy to stream off of (see Toronto ST Wednesday Night Fights for this in action - put the s-video to the TV and the RGB to a Framemeister for stream, or do the opposite and set to component). Best of all, the jamma edge is still intact so you can use it normally in an arcade cabinet, and we did this at North East Championships for a bit so the flexibility is really nice to have.

The drawback of doing the above is that the parts are quite expensive and there's no "package" per se, so an Undamned kit will hopefully help in that regard. This sounds great, and I'd like to get in line for the kit as well :)
    Atari wrote: »

I can vouch for Lemony. He did a fabulous CPS2 consolization for me prior to Canada Cup this year, and it was used there extensively. We used a PICO PSU, J-rok 4.1 video encoder, and UD-USB converters. It has 2 video outputs, one s-video and one RGB or component (selectable with a 2-way switch), so it is super easy to stream off of (see Toronto ST Wednesday Night Fights for this in action - put the s-video to the TV and the RGB to a Framemeister for stream, or do the opposite and set to component). Best of all, the jamma edge is still intact so you can use it normally in an arcade cabinet, and we did this at North East Championships for a bit so the flexibility is really nice to have.

The drawback of doing the above is that the parts are quite expensive and there's no "package" per se, so an Undamned kit will hopefully help in that regard. This sounds great, and I'd like to get in line for the kit as well :)

This sounds pretty awesome. Would it be possible to see some pictures of Lemony's awesome take of a consolized A Board?
    Jimmy Nguyen
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463

This sounds pretty awesome. Would it be possible to see some pictures of Lemony's awesome take of a consolized A Board?

I'm making one for Señor Atari right now. I'll PM you some in process and completed pics.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • DevilsFangDevilsFang Possibly Constipated... Joined: Posts: 306
    -ud

I contacted you years ago. April 2015 to be exact, but you never replied.

I would be perfectly happy with a diy kit.
    You know you haven't gone racing in a while, when you are towing your car to the track, and you keep looking in the rear view mirror while thinking "Why is that asshole tailgating me?!?!?!"
  • MrLuckyWafflesMrLuckyWaffles Joined: Posts: 1
    DevilsFang wrote: »
    -ud

I contacted you years ago. April 2015 to be exact, but you never replied.

I would be perfectly happy with a diy kit.

Yeah same, I emailed back in March 2015, and again last year, and never got a response :)

And likewise, a DIY kit would be great too! I live in pretty active FGC area, so I'm hopeful I could find someone to help with assembly.
  • blueNINEblueNINE Alex Smith Joined: Posts: 1,326
    Sounds rad. I'd definitely be interested in being on the capable modder list, and perhaps even buying a kit for myself.
    Please let me know if you need stick mods or repairs!
  • braves01braves01 Joined: Posts: 34
    I'd love an assembled ud-cps2 if they were available (I put my name on the list a couple years ago iirc), but even the option of buying a kit and working with a capable modder would be great. So, I guess put me on the list for a kit if those ever happen. :D
  • AtariAtari Joined: Posts: 13
    Hello guys due to friend hiatus undamned and the difficulty of importing products here in Brazil,but the problem of our currency is well below the dollar,I decided to put my hand in the dough and build my own CPS2 consolized,and that was the result I managed to get as close to a UDCPS2. with two small improvements to component video output and stereo sound.https://goo.gl/photos/zDLnjmL4vNKGb8Pt8

Interesting. Just curious what you used for the video encoding and the power supply?
    edited February 16
    Hello guys due to friend hiatus undamned and the difficulty of importing products here in Brazil,but the problem of our currency is well below the dollar,I decided to put my hand in the dough and build my own CPS2 consolized,and that was the result I managed to get as close to a UDCPS2. with two small improvements to component video output and stereo sound.https://goo.gl/photos/zDLnjmL4vNKGb8Pt8

Interesting. Just curious what you used for the video encoding and the power supply?
    I used the best video converter manufactured in Brazil and a simple power supply 12 volt, 5 amp.
    conversor-rgb-compact-neo-geo-jamma-mvs-frete-incluso-D_NQ_NP_862411-MLB20539201544_012016-F.jpg

Hello guys due to friend hiatus undamned and the difficulty of importing products here in Brazil,but the problem of our currency is well below the dollar,I decided to put my hand in the dough and build my own CPS2 consolized,and that was the result I managed to get as close to a UDCPS2. with two small improvements to component video output and stereo sound. More photos in the album https://goo.gl/photos/zDLnjmL4vNKGb8Pt8
    Amazing work, sir! I'm very impressed! :D
    -ud
    edited March 16
    Thanks man. =)