UD-CPS2: Fully Consolized Capcom Play System 2

Comments

• mistahsnartmistahsnart Joined: Posts: 511
    Video - S-Video & Composite. Uses a standard off the shelf Playstation A/V port cable. And for all you SCART/RGB users, those cables work, too.
    This may be redundant, but I'd rather ask than assume: does this mean component cables will work as well?
  • rivalsrivals Joined: Posts: 289
    This looks really awesome.
  • DanAdamKOFDanAdamKOF Joined: Posts: 1,000
    Nice RGB monitor :)
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    I created a thread for you at dontblowthis.com forums:

http://www.dontblowthis.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=354&pid=3002#pid3002
    Tons of fun playing on this, thanks a bunch undamned. Even your 'rushed' demonstration board was solid and super clean looking, and I know Sabre and few other folks where crazy interested in it when I was explaining it to them when you weren't at the station.
    Thanks, for the free publicity, guys! :D
    looks good
    This looks really awesome.
    Haha, thanks! :) I'm fairly OCD when it comes to aesthetic stuff.
    Nice RGB monitor :)
    Thanks! That thing is old as the hills and still serves me well! :tup:
    This may be redundant, but I'd rather ask than assume: does this mean component cables will work as well?
    Well, as much as that Sony Playstation AV port is on all of their home systems, the video encoder is the one from the original Playstation, which means: no, it won't do component. Though, you can pick up a nice RGBS -> Component video transcoder for ~$50 on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/220698772855). Be aware that just because a TV has component inputs, it is not guaranteed to support all resolutions (i.e. 240p).
    -ud
  • SRWPyritSRWPyrit ↻ + LP+LK Joined: Posts: 1,546
    I am very hype for this as well. So I'm assuming this set up supports one game at a time? Forgive me if that was a dumb q.
    http://twitter.com/pooplos_z
    C to the O to the M, B, O!!!
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    It's so awesome I want to cry.
    snipped
    Yep, I know none of the ones in my home do. Ah well. That's where my trusty ega/cga->vga upscaler comes into play. :)
  • KingbuzzoKingbuzzo Joined: Posts: 152
    nice work. USB inputs should be interesting.

When can we expect the Naomi version? :p
    have you played KOF 98 today?
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,793
    Any chance for PAL support without the need for a converter?
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,350
    Will this still work on an arcade cab?
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 478
    Awesome work, man.
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
    Any chance for PAL support without the need for a converter?
    Hadn't even crossed my mind! It's not on my todo list, so if it happens, it will certainly not be at the initial release. Most folks I know from PAL countries who are really into video games also have an NTSC setup for JP/US imports.
    When can we expect the Naomi version? :p
    Hmm, doubtful anytime soon? :)
    Will this still work on an arcade cab?
    Nope. A boards are cheap, so if you have a cab, keep one for that :) The intent of this device is to reach outside the arcade savvy audiences, so I'm making zero effort to retain those functions.

Ok, so I had a moment on my lunch break to fire up the oscope @ work. I haven't spent much time with code cleanup, aside from commenting out some blatant time eaters. Response time seems all over the place. Best response was an acceptable 2ms, whereas the worst was a staggering 40ms. I'll be spending more time with my code to better diagnose the cause of those spikes in latency.

That aside, I was quite pleased that not only did my USB host board program on the first try, but the i/o routines I had written before receiving my boards worked without a hitch :) It's fun to win!
    -ud
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Any chance you'll make just the USB -> JAMMA component available?
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
    Any chance you'll make just the USB -> JAMMA component available?
    Well, it won't be USB->JAMMA, but more likely a USB->Discrete Outputs or DB-15 or something that you can wire up yourself.
    -ud
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    yo this thread is BUMPIN

soon you'll have to hire an agent or a secretary to handle all of your PR
  • lolmarklolmark Joined: Posts: 235
    Very interested in this project!!
  • aggro cragaggro crag Joined: Posts: 205
    I can't wait for this. Looking forward to placing an order.
  • TaikiTaiki OH HO HOHOHOHOHO Joined: Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hadn't even crossed my mind! It's not on my todo list, so if it happens, it will certainly not be at the initial release. Most folks I know from PAL countries who are really into video games also have an NTSC setup for JP/US imports

PAL TVs should still come with SCART sockets, even nowadays. If the thing's wired for RGB+Sync on the proper pins, it should still work with a SCART TV that does RGB over SCART.

(Problem being that some SCART sockets only use the composite pins, and not the full RGB+Sync.)
    PAL TVs should still come with SCART sockets, even nowadays. If the thing's wired for RGB+Sync on the proper pins, it should still work with a SCART TV that does RGB over SCART.

(Problem being that some SCART sockets only use the composite pins, and not the full RGB+Sync.)
    Well, I have a Chinese HDTV that appears not to have an SCART socket. So I think it won't be working on this.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Well, I have a Chinese HDTV that appears not to have an SCART socket. So I think it won't be working on this.

I thought china was NTSC except for Hong Kong? I would've figured being a former british colony they'd have been blessed with SCART sockets.

oops, my bad.
    No, from what I've been told, China is PAL. For instance, when we moved into our apartment, there was a Korean TV descrambler here, but it was from Korea, and we were told it wouldn't work on Chinese TVs. I know Korea is NTSC, so that only leaves PAL and SECAM, and I think SECAM is exclusive to Australia.
  • ScaffaScaffa Joined: Posts: 182
    Putting money aside for this!
  • .temp.temp maximum hype Joined: Posts: 69
    well i'll be getting one of these
    4 buttons and it's GGs all round
    Awesome work, man.
    Thanks! I'm really trying to do a bang up job!

Spent a bit of time getting more intimate w/ the timing characteristics of my USB host processor. It appears I can run it 4x faster than currently. I'll try throwing a faster oscillator on this weekend so I can get some new button latency data next week. Theoretically, at 4x, worst case lag would be in the way of 10ms, typical being more like 5ms, and best being sub millisecond. That means worst case is still less than 1 frame of input lag. Quite acceptable, IMO.
    -ud
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Spent a bit of time getting more intimate w/ the timing characteristics of my USB host processor.

What language are you doing the code in? Are you just programming something you've already designed or are you doing Hardware description? This is just curiosity, btw. I have no valuable feedback for you. I'm just a college EE undergrad trying to figure out what you're doing.
  • MajinhurricaneMajinhurricane Forced to play super turbo, f%@# Cammy. Joined: Posts: 3,304
    undamned, check Pm <.<
    But there is no implying that every Rose player picked Rose just so they can go "hur hur hur hur there is nothing you can hur hur hur do about hur hur hur let the spirits guide you hur hur hur hur". -Anton
    What language are you doing the code in? Are you just programming something you've already designed or are you doing Hardware description? This is just curiosity, btw. I have no valuable feedback for you. I'm just a college EE undergrad trying to figure out what you're doing.
    C. Just programming a board I designed. Haha, I haven't looked at HDL since college! :) How far in school are you?

@ Maijin: Replied!
    -ud
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    C. Just programming a board I designed. Haha, I haven't looked at HDL since college! :) How far in school are you?
    -ud
    I figured that would be the case. I'm a first year transfer right now (senior by units, junior by time left.), but I have to take a bit of HDL for the next three quarters. My senior project is most likely going to be built off of an HDL development board and probably just expanded through the board's expansion slots, but when I saw that you were cutting out some code to reduce lag, I was curious if it was a Description issue or a programming issue. Now I understand, thanks!
  • wiselesswiseless geek pride Joined: Posts: 1,050
    I'm so damn curious to take a look at this baby. You had it running at Devastation, right? No pics? :(
    PSN ID: wiseless
    "Boring my opponents to death."
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,350
    I'm so damn curious to take a look at this baby. You had it running at Devastation, right? No pics? :(

Pics are on post#24
    Is there anyway to have component available for this? The reason i ask, people are tired lugging around big ass heavy crt tvs at gatherings/tourney. Being able to hook this up to a monitor would be a huge convenience IMO.
    Im also really curious how much one of these will cost. Im hoping the prices will be more on the MVS consolize range then the Atomiswave consolize systems.
  • wiselesswiseless geek pride Joined: Posts: 1,050
    Thanks, I somehow skipped that post - actually I just noticed I skipped a LOT of posts, WTF?
    Also just found out the 1st post was updated with pics! :D
    PSN ID: wiseless
    "Boring my opponents to death."
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Pics are on post#24
    Is there anyway to have component available for this? The reason i ask, people are tired lugging around big ass heavy crt tvs at gatherings/tourney. Being able to hook this up to a monitor would be a huge convenience IMO.

The CRT thing is more about lag snobs. VGA out is easy to get for JAMMA.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
    My senior project is most likely going to be built off of an HDL development board and probably just expanded through the board's expansion slots...
    Sounds fun! You should put up a thread on it when it's done (whatever it is) :)
    I'd love to have component out, but at this time I'm not putting much focus on that aspect of the project. As rufus mentioned, (non-hd) CRTs are the display of choice for lag free play, so I'll leave it up to the user to upscale the RGB to whatever they want. Upscalers and TVs that upscale will introduce some amount of lag that I don't want to be responsible for.
    Im also really curious how much one of these will cost. Im hoping the prices will be more on the MVS consolize range then the Atomiswave consolize systems.
    Holy cow! I just looked up a cosolized Atomiswave! $829? Who pays for this nonsense! I could buy a nice cab + Atomiswave + more stuff for that! Short answer: no, this will not cost that much!

Small update:

4x oscillator is running fine, just need to take it to work to check new input lag specs.
    -ud
  • kasprfotokasprfoto part time player, part time modder Joined: Posts: 774
    yep, i'm in for one as well =) i been trying to get a candy cab but have no luck so this seems to be the next best thing!
    No, from what I've been told, China is PAL. For instance, when we moved into our apartment, there was a Korean TV descrambler here, but it was from Korea, and we were told it wouldn't work on Chinese TVs. I know Korea is NTSC, so that only leaves PAL and SECAM, and I think SECAM is exclusive to Australia.

SECAM is mostly france and eastern europe. Australia's PAL.

Just checked Wikipedia, China's definitely PAL. Shocked they don't have SCART. Weird.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,895
    SECAM is mostly france and eastern europe. Australia's PAL.

Just checked Wikipedia, China's definitely PAL. Shocked they don't have SCART. Weird.
    SCART although designed primarily for PAL was a European development. Scart did appear in the US called EIA Multiport but never
    became popular. Scart was a means to have a universal A/V connector for the European market, where before each Country had there own standards in Europe.
    Scart was introduced to Japan as the Euro A/V or Euroconnector. China being a closed market to outsiders in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s never adopt the standard. I also believe at the time Chinese homes all did not have a Television as standard.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Will the UD-CPS2 work with Grey B-boards? I just did some Googling and one page suggested that Green and Blue boards could share the same type of A board, but the Grey and Orange required a matching A board.
    Will the UD-CPS2 work with Grey B-boards? I just did some Googling and one page suggested that Green and Blue boards could share the same type of A board, but the Grey and Orange required a matching A board.
    IIRC, this is true in the case of green and blue boards. We used to run a green Japanese Marvel vs Capcom in an American B board in the arcade I worked at (yeah, it was illegal, but I don't think they cared).
    I hope compatibility is less of an issue with the UD-CPS2. There's a Alpha 2 Grey board for sale and I want to put in an offer for it.
    Will the UD-CPS2 work with Grey B-boards?
    Yes & No. If you want one that will only play Gray boards, I can build one for you, but if you want max compatibility the best you can get is USA/Blue and JP/Green (which, afaik, are also compatible w/ Rental/Yellow boards). Unless you already have some huge collection of Gray boards, I would not suggest buying them.
    -ud