Who are the known characters in the Skullgirls universe?

HamFistHamFist Joined: Posts: 182
Can we/anyone compile a list of all the characters known or suspected to be in the Skullgirls universe? I'm talking about both curently playable, upcoming and planned AND NPC. Any info about the characters not on the SG site would also be helpful.

Any info on the world and locations would be cool too, aside from what's on the official site.

Comments

• Dr. GrammarDr. Grammar Fighting Game Scientist Joined: Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭
    6001096f5ju2t.jpg

Here is the expected cast for the game.
    First row: Filia, Squigly, Cerebella, Ms. Fortune
    Second row: Umbrella, Parasoul, Painwheel, Peacock
    Third row: Double, Valentine, Marie (The Skullgirl)
    #SFxT @ EFNet - It's better than SRK
  • PizzarinoPizzarino Pikachu gave his life for science Joined: Posts: 420
    Those original 8 characters are as shown before the game even had a publisher, I think. The others are likely 3 boss characters:

Valentine (ninja nurse, images of her still show up)
    Double (vile lump of monster flesh, not much is known)
    Marie (skeleton maid, the current Skullgirl and possibly unplayable final boss)

In more recent months several other important characters have floated to the surface as proposed new playable characters. They include:
    Panzerfaust (giant dude with a tank fist, one of Parasoul's soldiers)
    Le Duc (cyborg guy, as seen as a background character in recent footage)
    Corckscrew (also seen as a background character in recent footage)
    Venus (scantily clad female, host to 3 grotesque parasites)
    D. Violet (some sort of succubus or somthing)
    "The Triplets" (not much is known, a play on see no evil/hear no evil/speak no evil)
    Black Dahlia (mafia figure, chopped up Ms. Fortune and killed her gang)

Check out the giantbomb picture archives and the Skullgirls media thread for more details on them!
    SRK Skullgirls Wiki: Do it for the children
  • HellfromaboveHellfromabove Skullgirls is the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST Joined: Posts: 2,578 mod
    ...Marie (skeleton maid, the current Skullgirl and possibly unplayable final boss)...

I hate it when characters don't become playable :(. I really hope they make her playable.

-Tha Hindu
  • Honor BasquiatHonor Basquiat Joined: Posts: 1,361
    Marvel 3: Super Skrull/Taskmaster/Felicia Skullgirls: Valentine/Parasoul

If you are a member of the fighting game community and you aren't play Skullgirls you're doing it wrong.
  • evilbenevilben Morally Disinterested Joined: Posts: 292
    Corkscrew's name is actually Illium
    Annie of the Stars, the little girl with an eyepatch, a stuffed rabbit and a sword.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/skullgirls/61-34082/all-images/52-526213/060212_annie01/51-1699867/
    Big Band (or Detective Sax Man) big guy encased in an iron lung shaped like a saxaphone
    http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-unity.com/user/kavitee/c906637bba84d340d8a5b666706842af.jpg?v=202200
    (from left to right: sax-man, le duc, and panzerfaust)
    Mike_Z wrote:
    (You people and your "waaa waaa charge character waaa". I ought to go change everyone to charge characters...)
    We're well aware of the Japanese situation, and are working to rectify it.
  • Honor BasquiatHonor Basquiat Joined: Posts: 1,361
    Can't wait to see how Umbrella and Annie will play, like I'm just dying to know. Do we have any ideas?
    Marvel 3: Super Skrull/Taskmaster/Felicia Skullgirls: Valentine/Parasoul

If you are a member of the fighting game community and you aren't play Skullgirls you're doing it wrong.
  • HellfromaboveHellfromabove Skullgirls is the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST Joined: Posts: 2,578 mod
    Can't wait to see how Umbrella and Annie will play, like I'm just dying to know. Do we have any ideas?

Annie reminds me of Ramona Flowers from the Scott Pilgrim game. The way shes dressed I mean.

-Tha Hindu
    people speculate the umbrella will be something along the lines of May from GG. as for annie? no clue but she very likely wont be in the release, but possibly dlc later. (well she is in the release as images in the background...)

i really doubt that they will make non playable characters. with the amount of work they have to put into each character i dont think they would see it as worth the effort to do it all for a non playable one.

oh yea theres also andy anvil and tony ten tons (or is it tommy?) peacocks "imaginary" friends and can we count Lennie and George too?
    i cant find it now, but at one time i did see a picture with the entire circus troupe that cerebella is from.
    ther nameless characters are:
    the pink haired girl seen next to le duc in the ASG labs stage
    shark scientist
    Mike_Z wrote:
    (You people and your "waaa waaa charge character waaa". I ought to go change everyone to charge characters...)
  • BlakenBlaken Joined: Posts: 486
    What's the history about venus? and Valentine? they look pretty interesting...
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure Ravid or Mike said that no one will be unplayable because why would they work that hard on someone not to be playable?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • HamFistHamFist Joined: Posts: 182
    Wow, good work so far everyone. Especially putting names to pictures.

Can anyone provide screengrabs of the individual characters that are in the stage backgrounds?

Also, if Ravid or Mike say boss characters will be playable, and assuming there is a boss character (there, will be right?), does that mean we just have to unlock the boss to have a roster of 9 at launch?

Personally, I'm really hoping we get to play Valentine, Venus, Big Band and Panzerfaust before the Summer. Also super curious about Black Dahlia and the Triplets.
    Wow, good work so far everyone. Especially putting names to pictures.

Can anyone provide screengrabs of the individual characters that are in the stage backgrounds?

Also, if Ravid or Mike say boss characters will be playable, and assuming there is a boss character (there, will be right?), does that mean we just have to unlock the boss to have a roster of 9 at launch?

Personally, I'm really hoping we get to play Valentine, Venus, Big Band and Panzerfaust before the Summer. Also super curious about Black Dahlia and the Triplets.
    They never explicitly stated "8" as far as I'm aware, they always said "More than X".

History
    -Valentine is a ninja nurse. I saw someone say she was involved with the creation of Painwheel.
    -Venus uhh dunno but looks like her body contains some type of time-space bending properties and some rooster looking beast
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    They never explicitly stated "8" as far as I'm aware, they always said "More than X".

Actually Mike did confirm 8:
    http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/8/19/skullgirls-qa-confirms-eight-character-roster-at-launch.html

And I mean, there's only 8 slots on the site. I'm just hoping for a playable boss as a surprise 9th character. It'll be a bummer if there's no boss at all!
    Actually Mike did confirm 8:
    http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/8/19/skullgirls-qa-confirms-eight-character-roster-at-launch.html

And I mean, there's only 8 slots on the site. I'm just hoping for a playable boss as a surprise 9th character. It'll be a bummer if there's no boss at all!
    From the article:
    MZ: Well… you can find lots of old stuff if you look for it, but we can’t officially announce anything until the character is done. As Alex said, we’re announcing them as we make them, pretty much, so I’m afraid the full roster won’t be announced until the game’s nearly completed. However, at long last, I will say that we’re looking at around 8 characters at launch.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Marie kinda reminds me of roll what with the vacuum and being all young.

-Tha Hindu

-Tha Hindu
    I was reminded of Marge from The Simpsons Arcade Game
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • RidianFableRidianFable Meh Joined: Posts: 2,621
    PAINWHEEL!!!!
    Hirayama. I'm a ronin.

707-Mashf3st
    559-RidianFable
  • EcKo Zero CoolEcKo Zero Cool lolz Joined: Posts: 802
    i wanna hear more about skullgirl.

the characters look sick
    [SIZE=13px]These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a Harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13px]These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face.[/SIZE]
  • SRWPyritSRWPyrit ↻ + LP+LK Joined: Posts: 1,546
    I can't wait to see Double animated. I can picture it in my head. GLORIOUS
    http://twitter.com/pooplos_z
    C to the O to the M, B, O!!!
    From the article: ...However, at long last, I will say that we’re looking at around 8 characters at launch.

Ok then I'm calling it: 8 + unlockable Boss equals 9, hence "around 8."
    i
    wanna hear more about skullgirl.

the characters look sick

-Tha Hindu
    Marie's design reminds me a lot of the enemy character "Persephone" from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/238/543004-persephone.jpg

Note the skull vacuum.
  • Heir Of BreathHeir Of Breath Chump of Shoosh Joined: Posts: 41
    people speculate the umbrella will be something along the lines of May from GG. as for annie? no clue but she very likely wont be in the release, but possibly dlc later. (well she is in the release as images in the background...)

I imagine Annie playing like Eko from AH3 using her bunny like she does Kazu.
    Solo Double All Day
  • lurch_E_beanlurch_E_bean Joined: Posts: 243
    I imagine Annie playing like Eko from AH3 using her bunny like she does Kazu.

If she gets a Disneyland super I am all up in there.
  • KayameKayame REPENT!BOOM! Joined: Posts: 549
    If I wasn't dreaming Valetine was a worker at ASGL and then betrayed then going to the SG side.
    Worst trash talker
    K-pop fan
    Skullgirls is the best
    Ravens fanatic
    if i had to hazard a guess id bet they will handle the game like the later SF2 games did. all characters were selectable and the 'boss' just changed on who you picked. (well in sf2 it was bison unless you chose bison) but im pretty sure mike also said somewhere that he dislikes unlockables.

another character Vitale Medici, the head of the Medici family (mafia) and Cerebella's foster father. i dont think there have ever been pictures of him.
    Mike_Z wrote:
  • SRWPyritSRWPyrit ↻ + LP+LK Joined: Posts: 1,546
    (well in sf2 it was bison unless you chose bison)

wut?
    http://twitter.com/pooplos_z
    C to the O to the M, B, O!!!
    heh, never mind then... its been a looooong time since i played sf2 and even longer since i did arcade mode on it...
    Mike_Z wrote:
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    Corkscrew's name is Ileum, Corkscrew was a placeholder name.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • Heir Of BreathHeir Of Breath Chump of Shoosh Joined: Posts: 41
    Corkscrew's name is Ileum, Corkscrew was a placeholder name.
    COURIER IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
    Solo Double All Day
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    COURIER IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
    I wanted to make sure the capital i would not be confused for an L because it has happened in this situation several times already.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • Ketchy KechKetchy Kech RAZALASH Joined: Posts: 855
    Since Skullgirls is all about bringing about unique fighting styles to the table, it makes me wonder how Annie and the triplets would play out if they are ever included as DLC. They could both feasibly have a ms. fortune-esque fighting mechanic, "shadow puppet" or w/e its called. So it begs the question: How will they vary the characters? It is really exciting, in my opinion.

Annie has her rabbit doll, which seems to be a core part of her character, judging from her sole pieces of artwork available. We have yet to know whether it is "alive" or can be controlled.

See/Speak/Hear No Evil - Triplets are three characters, which certainly possess the possibility to be controlled as three separate entities. (btw are they boys or girls? hmm)

It'll be interesting to see what choices the skullgirls team make to bring new and fun, yet innovative, fighting styles to these characters (if they even do).

I have no qualms when characters have similar play styles, as long there is an element that varies one character from another.
    Example: Why use a watered down Magneto, when you can just choose Magneto (in reference to Ironman, mvc3 :P)

Just some thoughts :)
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

• not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    See/Speak/Hear No Evil - Triplets are three characters, which certainly possess the possibility to be controlled as three separate entities. (btw are they boys or girls? hmm)
    Guess what, you have three pair of strikes on your stick! =]
    Weeeell, this is first impression but it's hard to imagine how you can implement such s scheme...
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
  • AusdrakeAusdrake The Blunder from Downunder Joined: Posts: 268
    Guess what, you have three pair of strikes on your stick! =]
    Weeeell, this is first impression but it's hard to imagine how you can implement such s scheme...

One character attacking per button would be simply an aesthetic difference though, there would have to be some unique underlying mechanic to make it a truly different kind of playstyle and not just a graphical difference. Perhaps something simple such as chains only being possible by attacking with one triplet at a time (that is, no button push can gatling into itself, LP/LK is Triplet A, which can only combo into MP/MK Triplet B, or HP/HK Triplet C and so on). I don't know how one could actually make this interesting to play, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

When you think about it, fighting game characters are just hitboxes with different values on their attacks and a sprite/model place on top. They can look like anything you can imagine, this lends alot of potential creativity to fighting game characters which is why I'm constantly disappointed by a sea of bland humanoids and shotoclones we see (Arakune was a breath of fresh air in this case). This is definitely something Skullgirls has in it's favor and the art style lends itself to this. I'm eagerly anticipating what Double is capable of, hopefully she isn't just Mokujin/Seth or something and has her own moveset, or perhaps she's just a training dummy/boss/gauntlet type character?

Whoa, ramble mode: off. :blah:
  • Ketchy KechKetchy Kech RAZALASH Joined: Posts: 855
    Perhaps something simple such as chains only being possible by attacking with one triplet at a time (that is, no button push can gatling into itself, LP/LK is Triplet A, which can only combo into MP/MK Triplet B, or HP/HK Triplet C and so on). I don't know how one could actually make this interesting to play, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

This would be very interesting, imo. 1 triplet leading into another triplet for combo extension. Perhaps making so that each triplet has their own unique ranges, and forcing the player to use a particular triplet, depending on distance from player. You are right though, will take a hell of alot of work to get right.
    When you think about it, fighting game characters are just hitboxes with different values on their attacks and a sprite/model place on top. They can look like anything you can imagine, this lends alot of potential creativity to fighting game characters which is why I'm constantly disappointed by a sea of bland humanoids and shotoclones we see (Arakune was a breath of fresh air in this case). This is definitely something Skullgirls has in it's favor and the art style lends itself to this.

Quoted for the truth, my friend.
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

the no evil kids would almost be perfect for a stance character, one fights while the other two support/follow and you can change which one is on point to get different properties and what not.
    Mike_Z wrote:
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    the no evil kids would almost be perfect for a stance character, one fights while the other two support/follow and you can change which one is on point to get different properties and what not.
    There was talk that one in center is leader. Even if this isn't true, the fact of them having non-symmetrical formation casting a shadow on free-to-switch theory.

And I personally will add some freakin' transformer for stance character. 3-in-1 can be used some other way.
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
  • sandwichofdoomsandwichofdoom Hyped for Injustice: Gods among us Joined: Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    Holy crud at panzerfaust and big band,me want
    MVC3: (Firebrand/Ghost Rider/Dormmamu), (Skrull/Rocket Raccoon/Nova),(Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Shuma Gorath),(Modok/Doctor Strange/Deadpool)
    Mortal Kombat: Kabal,Kenshi GG:Zappa,Faust SSF4: Vega,Bison,Juri 3's: Alex,twelve
    sfxt: Rolento,Hwoarang, King,Lei,Bryan Tekken: Feng, King, Hwoarang,Lei SC:Voldo Skullgirls: Peacock
    Darkstalkers: L.raprtor,Donovan,Jedah,Anakaris. Blazblue: Arakune JoJo's: JoJo, Dio, S.Dio
    I hope Marin is a Skullgirls character :[
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452

-Tha Hindu
    I'm getting a Touhou vibe from her (maid, gray hair, etc.).

What's the name of the girl with the lavender hair next to LeDuc in the Lab stage? I remember reading her name, googling it, then only finding two links (one was the SRK general discussion where I read it on, the other was Dustloop's forum).

In one of the Giantbomb pictures, Parasoul and Umbrella have a bodyguard that I think looks different from the regular soldiers.

Any members from the Medici Mafia besides Dahlia? There's Vitale Medici in Cerebella's profile, who I assume to be the leader.
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    I agree. Marin and Venus are the ones i want to see animated.

EDIT: Also, is Mrs Victoria also D. Violet?
  • ZebsterZebster Joined: Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭
    Who is Marin?
    3DS Friend Code: 1392-4119-7524 3DS name: Zebster Pokemon X in game name: Zebia
  • Firekid2468Firekid2468 Keep the Flag Flying Joined: Posts: 922
    BB: Makoto, Noel
    MvC3: X-23/Wesker/Strider
    SG: Filia/Squigly/M. Fortune
    RTSD all day, erry day.
    Her legs was friggin' blasters?! O_o
    OH MAI GAWD...

And Aura... Gear 3rd lol?
    Where do you people keep getting all these concepts? lol

Also Marin: it's the Planet Terror chick times two! :eek:
    Hey! There are friggin' mechas in Parasoul's army!
    Spoiler:
    And talking about chubbiness - check out this breast-hips proportions
    Spoiler:
    I knew about the Giantbomb gallery, but thanks for the other one.

Also wachou' talkin' 'bout? Squigly ain't chubby, she just has an absurdly large pelvis! :D
    Absurdly is the right word %[
    Aaaaaaaand for those of you who consider Panzerfaust a bland design
    check
    this
    guy
    out
    Spoiler:
    He is badass
    Spoiler:
    Too badass.
  • stickystainesstickystaines Joined: Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    Absurdly is the right word %[
    Aaaaaaaand for those of you who consider Panzerfaust a bland design
    check
    this
    guy
    out
    Spoiler:
    He is badass
    Spoiler:
    Too badass.

Oh man, even if you take away one thing like the rule says, he has 3 others to back it up. A flawless design.