Guitar and Bassist thread

Comments

• BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,699
    Got back into playing guitar at the end of the summer and I think my strings are starting to lose their tone. A couple questions: How often do you guys change out your strings? Even though I have calluses, I notice after prolong playing the higher strings feels like they are slicing into my fingers, maybe it's my positioning but I got girly hands so sometimes I have to place my fingers where it's not on the tips. Would going with heavier strings benefit, and can I still use them for standard tuning?

Also, I pretty much got the A minor and A major pentatonic scales memorized, but I'm having difficulty on combining the 2. Can someone give me advice or point me to where I can find the way to transition from minor to major? One last thing. I have a mediocre set up, I bought the guitar and amp at a Best Buy a few years ago. What can I do to improve the tone so it doesn't sound so bland? After market pickups? Tube amp? I've messed with the settings and I want a more earthy 70s rock tone but still have the potential for metal stuff.

• pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    A minor doesn't really work with A major generally. Use the relative minor/major keys, which is really just starting the scale on a different note. For A major its F# minor, and for A minor its C major.

You're proly better off getting lighter gauge strings cause heavy gauge have more tension.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • KashiyukasthighsKashiyukasthighs Joined: Posts: 997
    Hello guys, I'm a drummer.

My friend and I decided to do an original work and he told me in what tone or something I wanted it in...in like A, B, C etc or something.....I'm not sure what he's talking about, any insights?
  • BaronOBaronO Baka Mitai Joined: Posts: 501
    Hello guys, I'm a drummer.

My friend and I decided to do an original work and he told me in what tone or something I wanted it in...in like A, B, C etc or something.....I'm not sure what he's talking about, any insights?
    My guess would be the key signature of the piece (A, B, C, Major or minor which shouldn't really affect you as a drummer). I guess it could be also the structure of the piece that you're working on ABA, ABC, etc., but I don't know if that's commonly used.
    PSN - TheBarrenO; CFN - BaronO
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,473
    I'm not a bassist, but Jack Bruce just died. Cream has had a role in my musical tastes, specially when I was younger and Jack Bruce was no small part of that.

Weird, but I was just humming born under a bad sign yesterday.

Hey guys, what's a similar brand/model to those japanese ESP models that have slim necks? I had an Edwards model years ago:
    DSC00343.jpg
    And enjoyed playing it as I got small hands. The Schecter guitar I have currently, the neck is big and chunky. While I didn't mind it at first, I'm starting to miss how easier it was to play scales on the jap esp.
    Bumping this thread for the new year. What are your guys' plans music wise for this year? For me it's to continue to learn new stuff, and incorporate it into improvising/jamming. I started keeping a guitar diary, trying to jot down what I practiced and other related stuff, this has helped me keep myself in check and has assisted in my progress. I'm starting to do sweep picking just out of repetitive practicing, and learning new strumming techniques like the gallop, which is still a work in progress. Picked up a bunch of new equipment too(first valve amp, black star ht-5r, boss chromatic tuner and harmonic ps and ts808 pedals) at the end of the year, and this new axe sent from Japan came in today:
    10864937_320840964790944_954883226_n.jpg
    Needs a setup, and found a reputable guitar shop to do it. Super psyched!
    edited January 2015
    would love a vid of that guitar in action. ive been a fan of hizaki and his guitar for a while lol

im just finishing up an EP so planning on doing some traveling soon to promote it. anyone flown with an acoustic guitar before? I've got a hardshell case but had a friend telling me today he'd still be hesitant to check a guitar.

hoping to spend the new year expanding my repertoire of licks and metal technique
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    NYR - try not to kill myself while playing this new 8 string i got a couple of months ago; have a guitar or 2 build by the end of this year

what kind of metal, pherai?
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    just finished an EP I was working on last year. mostly simple clean playing. also all the band members are 3s players, so support (or hate if appropriate) us!

https://soundcloud.com/cosmonots
    what kind of metal, pherai?

I figure thrash would be a good base to start learning metal technique. before I start learning deedly type leads I need to improve just standard metal riffing. like painkiller era priest type riffing I guess. just learning harmonics would be a start lol
    Hey guys, so winter where I'm at is causing my skin to dry up like crazy. My fingertips are peeling and catching on the strings, so what do you guys do when ever this happens? Should I use a nail file and smooth out my tips? Anyway, got GAS again, and after trying an Ibanez RG420 at a guitar center, ordered up a Prestige RG655 Galaxy Black, love the neck of these guitars, maybe even more than my Edwards.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2015
    pedoviejo wrote: »
    So it was a connection issue on the pick up. But it was the actual pickup itself.

I was moving the actual pick up and pressed on the cloth mining that serves as a sheath. I guess it there was so.etching wrong with it? Idk but works every time now so I don't have to worry about that

Also, playing with the EQ on the signal line, I didn't know that a

Guitar -> DS-1 -> OD-1 -> amp

would be able to do djent distortion at all. That one caught me of guard.

I don't know about the OD pedal, but the DS1 kills your low end. Amp distortion/drive usually sounds best in my experience, especially if you're trying to go for a heavier tone, but I used to use my amp's overdrive channel and then add distortion from a pedal on top of it if I wanted to go harder. If your amp has any overdrive, I'd suggest using that to beef up your tone.

pherai wrote: »
    would love a vid of that guitar in action. ive been a fan of hizaki and his guitar for a while lol

im just finishing up an EP so planning on doing some traveling soon to promote it. anyone flown with an acoustic guitar before? I've got a hardshell case but had a friend telling me today he'd still be hesitant to check a guitar.

hoping to spend the new year expanding my repertoire of licks and metal technique

@pherai‌ I've flown with an acoustic before and have been ok just using the hardshell case. You may want to pack it with newspaper or something to keep it from moving around in the case in-flight (especially put some under the joint where the headstock and the neck meet as that's the most likely to break part, though don't pack it too tight!) but it should be ok. If it's an expensive guitar maybe get a beater to take or invest in a road case if you're that worried about it.

Btw, the tunes sound great, I love me some good power pop! And I'm jealous you're in a band of 3s players! None of my musician friends here play fighting games really and if they do, they're just casual at it. Dunno how far East you guys'll be but if you end up hitting Nashville, look me up and we can have some beers and play some 3s!

"Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    @pherai‌ I've flown with an acoustic before and have been ok just using the hardshell case. You may want to pack it with newspaper or something to keep it from moving around in the case in-flight (especially put some under the joint where the headstock and the neck meet as that's the most likely to break part, though don't pack it too tight!) but it should be ok. If it's an expensive guitar maybe get a beater to take or invest in a road case if you're that worried about it.

Btw, the tunes sound great, I love me some good power pop! And I'm jealous you're in a band of 3s players! None of my musician friends here play fighting games really and if they do, they're just casual at it. Dunno how far East you guys'll be but if you end up hitting Nashville, look me up and we can have some beers and play some 3s!

ended up just getting a 3/4 scale yamaha acoustic with electronics for about 2 hundo. my main acoustic is a gibson so i just didnt want to risk it. this yamaha is pretty damn cool though!

really appreciate you giving them a listen bud! was just a lucky coincidence that a few of my 3rd friends could form a rhythm section (and the legend himself, Victoly designed the logo lol). I must go to nashville someday as I'm a bit of a country fan, but unfortunately its not part of the plan, and just rolling solo sadly. i write all the songs on acoustic anyway though so i think its enough to get people interested. are you nashville demolition on soundcloud?
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    So it was a connection issue on the pick up. But it was the actual pickup itself.

I was moving the actual pick up and pressed on the cloth mining that serves as a sheath. I guess it there was so.etching wrong with it? Idk but works every time now so I don't have to worry about that

I don't know about the OD pedal, but the DS1 kills your low end. Amp distortion/drive usually sounds best in my experience, especially if you're trying to go for a heavier tone, but I used to use my amp's overdrive channel and then add distortion from a pedal on top of it if I wanted to go harder. If your amp has any overdrive, I'd suggest using that to beef up your tone.

I have a 100 watt carvin legacy II......

I don't get to use the oerdrive on the amp, so I'm stuck using my pedals as psuedo overdrives. Depending on the sound that I need and want, I can get good low output tones that are still crisp. It's a neccesary adjustment. That set up was just a bargain bin djent sound for less than 100$ provided your pickups had the necessary output.

and that's the beauty of digital also. It gives you most of the benefits and characteristics of high power amps without the hassle. it's a fair trade imo. Granted, if I could, i'd be cracking this 100W to 7 all the time, but I'm poverty, I dont' get to have my cake and eat it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    pherai wrote: »

ended up just getting a 3/4 scale yamaha acoustic with electronics for about 2 hundo. my main acoustic is a gibson so i just didnt want to risk it. this yamaha is pretty damn cool though!

really appreciate you giving them a listen bud! was just a lucky coincidence that a few of my 3rd friends could form a rhythm section (and the legend himself, Victoly designed the logo lol). I must go to nashville someday as I'm a bit of a country fan, but unfortunately its not part of the plan, and just rolling solo sadly. i write all the songs on acoustic anyway though so i think its enough to get people interested. are you nashville demolition on soundcloud?

Yeah man, that's me. Anytime you're near Nashville, hit me up and we'll have a time and can jam some tunes.

I have a 100 watt carvin legacy II......

I don't get to use the oerdrive on the amp, so I'm stuck using my pedals as psuedo overdrives. Depending on the sound that I need and want, I can get good low output tones that are still crisp. It's a neccesary adjustment. That set up was just a bargain bin djent sound for less than 100$ provided your pickups had the necessary output.

and that's the beauty of digital also. It gives you most of the benefits and characteristics of high power amps without the hassle. it's a fair trade imo. Granted, if I could, i'd be cracking this 100W to 7 all the time, but I'm poverty, I dont' get to have my cake and eat it.

If you get an attenuator you can crank up the gain without the volume, which'll help. Something that also might help is maybe setting the Tone on the OD pedal towards a more bassy tone and using the DS1 for the highs. Some pedals do different frequencies better than others and the DS1 tends to be kinda screechy in my experience.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    edited February 2015

I mentioned on reddit that my TS808 kills the bass on my amp and a couple people said that a lot of over drive pedals tend to do so, and went further into saying that a lot of people that play solo, tend to compensate for a lack of having a bass player, by cranking out the bass. That made a lot of sense to me, and maybe this is the situation with the ds1, maybe just using it as a slight boost in the amp's OD?

Tonight I picked up the Prestige RG655. Neck feels amazing, can't wait to try it out tomorrow with the different DiMarzio pups.
    10948886_773171249424356_127534197_n.jpg

Post edited by BBQ on
    BBQ wrote: »

I mentioned on reddit that my TS808 kills the bass on my amp and a couple people said that a lot of over drive pedals tend to do so, and went further into saying that a lot of people that play solo, tend to compensate for a lack of having a bass player, by cranking out the bass. That made a lot of sense to me, and maybe this is the situation with the ds1, maybe just using it as a slight boost in the amp's OD?

Tonight I picked up the Prestige RG655. Neck feels amazing, can't wait to try it out tomorrow with the different DiMarzio pups.
    10948886_773171249424356_127534197_n.jpg

MOST distortion and overdrive pedals tend to sap the bass out of your signal, which is why I generally prefer amp distortion. I DID get a boss Mega Distortion pedal years ago that has a bass knob on it which is a bit better but still not the best. I started using an Ibanez tube screamer as a boost which worked pretty well in conjunction with my amp OD. I only really use light overdrive or distortion though, I don't really need a big distorted sound

The best, most warm distortion you'll ever get is going to come from tubes in an amp. Depending on how much distortion you need, even if it's just overdrive, you throw a compressor on that and it's going to sound like magic.
    Yeah, another distortion pedal that seems to not only keep the bass but enhance it are the Big Muff pedals. Though, I agree that the main dirt should be from the amp. I need to look into those compressor pedals, I'm still a noob and I get those confused with the noise gate ones when I was looking at them a while back.

What other pedals would be used in the effects loop besides modulation? Are there certain pedals that are normally found infront of the amp be also used in the loop?
    edited February 2015
    BBQ wrote: »
    Yeah, another distortion pedal that seems to not only keep the bass but enhance it are the Big Muff pedals. Though, I agree that the main dirt should be from the amp. I need to look into those compressor pedals, I'm still a noob and I get those confused with the noise gate ones when I was looking at them a while back.

What other pedals would be used in the effects loop besides modulation? Are there certain pedals that are normally found infront of the amp be also used in the loop?

It depends on what you want in your signal chain. I generally use delay rather than reverb (or a very short reverb if I'm using one) because it tends to make things a little less muddy in a band setting.

Compressors are nice for tightening up your sound, although if you compress things too much, it can make it sound small and without dynamics. It's a nice thing to have though, and it can also function as a lead boost if you like your tone without it and just kick it on to increase your volume. The difference between a compressor and a gate is that a gate cuts your signal off when you hit a certain dB, whereas a compressor fits your existing signal (compresses it, hence the name) within a certain dB range.

I don't have much in my pedalboard really. Tuner, OD/Compressor, TubeScreamer, & delay is really it. Unless you're using the amp's effects loop, having too many pedals in your chain can degrade your sound a bit. But on Cardinal rule is to keep all your reverbs and delays at the END of your signal chain (meaning they're the last pedals in the chain before the amp.) They just sound better that way for some reason. But experiment with different orders of pedals. You wouldn't think so, but it can completely change your tone just rearranging the order of even just two pedals.
    On another note RE: Compressors, a compressor pedal is possibly the most versatile pedal you can buy. It can actually help you get more drive/grit out of your tone, tighten up your tone, and if you get one with a Saturation control on it, it can even act as a de facto EQ (increasing the Saturation gives you a bit more low end in addition to a bit more grit too!)
    What's a good compressor? Boss CS-3?
    Boss makes some good ones. I still have one of those blue pedals laying around. Like I said, if you can get one with a saturation knob on it (and they don't all have one) it really makes for an incredibly versatile pedal.
  • PlatinumDiscPlatinumDisc Team Kujikawa Joined: Posts: 5
    I had no idea SRK had a guitarist/bassist thread.. that's awesome. :3 Never made any mods to my guitars, but right now, I own a 1977 Fender Telecaster .. really good shape too.
    P4U: Rise, Yukiko, Chie, Yu
    USF4: Rose, Ryu, Evil Ryu, Dan, Cammy
    TTT2: Jin, Kazuya, Steve, Jun, Asuka, Bryan
    SG: Squigly, Fukua, Filia
    UNIEL: Nanase, Linne

I'm not very good at fighting games, but I play them anyway. :3
    some kind of tele is def gonna be my next purchase. show us a pic!
  • ForkliftKillerForkliftKiller Joined: Posts: 38
    My first electric and still my goto fave.

3603449_orig.jpg

Takamine GX-100
    Apparently they only made a few hundred of these. This is the only solid body electric made by Takamine. Everything is stock, has a few chips and dings in the paint but still sounds great and is fun to play. I bought it in 1992 just because I dug the body and the color but it's thick sound and great feel make it my goto to this day. I believe the last were made in '83.
  • BaronOBaronO Baka Mitai Joined: Posts: 501
    My baby:
    40182_144003708952907_4998898_n.jpg?oh=e321c3d9adffa7a4e163851ece1b9641&oe=554BB625&__gda__=1432512816_89d50ecbf7d18dde3c6338ded19c63f1

I wish I knew more than just simple pentatonic scales and chords. I feel like I'm not doing this guitar any justice.
    PSN - TheBarrenO; CFN - BaronO
  • PlatinumDiscPlatinumDisc Team Kujikawa Joined: Posts: 5
    Here's a picture of my Tele. c: It was given to me by a relative a while back.

2nc40av.jpg
    P4U: Rise, Yukiko, Chie, Yu
    USF4: Rose, Ryu, Evil Ryu, Dan, Cammy
    TTT2: Jin, Kazuya, Steve, Jun, Asuka, Bryan
    SG: Squigly, Fukua, Filia
    UNIEL: Nanase, Linne

I'm not very good at fighting games, but I play them anyway. :3
    wow what a peach. must play like a dream!
    Here's a picture of my Tele. c: It was given to me by a relative a while back.

2nc40av.jpg

Nice! Teles are my favorites. I like the maple fingerboard, I've only owned one guitar that's had one and they always feel real good.
  • WarpticonWarpticon Main otaku of SRK #2 Joined: Posts: 9,968
    I've almost always preferred rosewood to maple fretboards, but my favorite bass ever had a maple fretboard, so maybe I don't really have a preference after all.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the compound.
  • HollowbladeHollowblade Joined: Posts: 1,594
    What do you guys think about buying tableture books as opposed togetting tabs online. I ordered a tab book forprotest the hero and unearth a few days ago only because the tabs were awful also 90% of the time online tabs are bad or just flat wrong.. What are your guys thoughts??
  • WarpticonWarpticon Main otaku of SRK #2 Joined: Posts: 9,968
    What is there really to think about it? If you want to play the stuff in there and don't have a better option, do it. If not, don't.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the compound.
    edited February 2015
    Warpticon wrote: »
    I've almost always preferred rosewood to maple fretboards, but my favorite bass ever had a maple fretboard, so maybe I don't really have a preference after all.

Rosewood is still nice, though for a Tele or Strat made with an ash body, the maple gives you a little bit more spank which can be nice if you play country (which I do) or blues.
    What do you guys think about buying tableture books as opposed togetting tabs online. I ordered a tab book forprotest the hero and unearth a few days ago only because the tabs were awful also 90% of the time online tabs are bad or just flat wrong.. What are your guys thoughts??

I'd go tab books all the way if you're gonna use tab at all. Most of the Internet tabs are beyond wrong.
    I've used the guitar pro tab thing in the past, it's alright, but I have to agree with others, most stuff on the internet can be wrong and confusing.
    Anybody got any good video links for idiots like me who don't know how to set up their electric guitar properly? It'd be much appreciated!
    I pay a local guitar boutique to do mine, I'm afraid of fucking it all up by trying to set up my nicer guitars. I'd be curious to know as well and attempt it on my shitty Schecter when I eventually swap out the pups
  • HollowbladeHollowblade Joined: Posts: 1,594
    I had replaced my strings on this older Ibanez model not too long ago like maybe 5 months or so. And they fucking reak of metal now and not in a punny i play metal way in a rusting assy strings. Is this common? Ive never seen this happen to my giitars yet this is the first and so soon. Also is the neck warping just a bit on a guitar that sees no action and is just sitting on a stand for years a common thing?
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    Anybody got any good video links for idiots like me who don't know how to set up their electric guitar properly? It'd be much appreciated!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1dEZxBykRto

Or dudes channel is called fruduatv

I've set the action, intonation, and truss adjustments on my American Stratocaster and 2 team Japan Ibanez with no problems.

The trick is to adjust the truss slowly 1/8 turns and give it time to settle and bend the wood. Too fast and you'll snap it.

_____

Ive also lost all passion for guitar. Idk what it is. Maybe I'll try and write instead of learning.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
    I had replaced my strings on this older Ibanez model not too long ago like maybe 5 months or so. And they fucking reak of metal now and not in a punny i play metal way in a rusting assy strings. Is this common? Ive never seen this happen to my giitars yet this is the first and so soon. Also is the neck warping just a bit on a guitar that sees no action and is just sitting on a stand for years a common thing?

Even if the guitar sits and isn't played, the strings can still oxidize. The neck warping means that it's not being kept in optimal conditions. I wouldn't leave it out of its case for long periods of time especially if you've got central heat or air running. It can do some damage.
    Anyone looking for gear during black friday/cyber monday? Musicianfriend had AC15's on sale for $400 which are now sold ou, I'm kinda mad at myself for missing out on those seeing as I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp in the next few months.

They also have a 3 pack of Ernie Balls Nickle wounds for $9.79. Only in 9's and 10's though, no wound G or hybrid packs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file