The Official Ranting Thread

Comments

• EMREMR Call me, Eggy. I dislike my SRK name. lol Joined: Posts: 1,029
    High ranked Chun Li players mashing on Cr. Short....still a scrubby issue....Raven can't do much to open up a Chun Li player turtling her ass off....Such a dumb match up...and her range on her normals makes frame trapping her fucking hard....
  • AlociAloci BX Fenns Joined: Posts: 448
    EMR said:
    High ranked Chun Li players mashing on Cr. Short....still a scrubby issue....Raven can't do much to open up a Chun Li player turtling her ass off....Such a dumb match up...and her range on her normals makes frame trapping her fucking hard....
    Raw launch does a wonder on predictable lows...
    UMvC3: I don't even know anymore | SSF4AE2012: Gouken
    XMvSF: Rogue/Charlie | SFxT2013: Lars/Nina
    TvC:UAS: Ippatsuman/Soki | VF5:FS: Vanessa | BBCP: Amane/Hakumen
  • WantonxWantonx Mooseknuckle Sammich Joined: Posts: 2,111 ✭✭
    Rage quitting in an endless lobby doesn't make any sense. o_O
    That's just silly
    Having seen Cool Runnings a bunch of years ago, I consider myself a certified bobsledding expert
    XBL : Racetract
  • TJ-WorksTJ-Works Joined: Posts: 10
    BAH. Ever since I started getting into SFxT again after 2013 dropped, I've been stuck in a frustrated rut. It feels that no matter how much experimenting and training I do in my spare time, I keep getting f&*$£d over in Ranked Matches. I've only dropped to 4500 from 5000 atm, occassionally winning matches  in between, but I dunno wtf is wrong with me, If anyone on PSN with good knowledge doesn't mind helping me figure out, my account name is TJ-Works .

Oh, and I think throws are a little OVERpowered in the new patch. I don't mind erasing recoverable damage, but the startup frames are ridiculous. I've had reversals fail on me and throw cancels NOT throw cancelling, albeit the latter maybe due to network lag.
    SSFIV: Sakura, Rufus
    SFxT: Law, Rufus, Abel, Julia, Bryan, Yoshimitsu
    PSN Name: TJ-Works, GMT: +0:00 (UK)
  • guy986guy986 Joined: Posts: 82
    Law is cheap. ****ing cheap.

I hope all you law players choke on your ramen.
  • rokninroknin Keeps Trying Joined: Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

guy986 said:

LOL damn, the rage, I can smellllllz it.

Maybe I should go back to maining Juri x Law...  Just out of spite for everyone that thinks that every Law player is now either a bandwagoner or winning because of Law.
    ~ aka "ninrok" aka "wyphoofighter" ~
    SFxT - Juri (Cammy) x Jack/ Julia x Law | Smash - Robin / ROB / Lucina
    youtube | soundcloud | tumblr
  • zUkUuzUkUu Theory Pro Joined: Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭
    guy986 said:

You know Law has a Chinese origin, do you?
    我道
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Kara SPD LuLz Joined: Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭
    There's nothing that grinds my gears more than losing to a team with ugly colors. It's just not cool.
    <-- Starts helping a friend learn to play King a bit

<-- ....starts playing King himself

Because I need more characters to play.  Still got a few characters I'm working on in the background, let alone trying to find stuff for my main team.

I'm really not smart lol.  But I can't help it, so much of the cast is intriguing! T.T
    I need to figure out my horrible consistency problem. I can come home and play one night and tear ass through people I normally beat and some that normally beat me. The next morning or evening I'll loose 15 in a row to people that I totally shouldn't loose to and people I normally stomp. I'll re watch my game play and can't see what the hell I'm doing different. Not sure if it's dulled reactions from sleep/long work day or some mental block. Two nights ago i jumped up 800 points playing for an hour or so and lost more than that in an hour or so last night. I'm not loosing to wake up DP and shit like that, it's like I'm straight up getting outplayed those days. I know everyone has on and off days but mine are back to back on/off. Fuck it, just gotta keep trucking and checking for mistakes. Not really looking for advice, it just made me feel better to get that out somewhere.
    Having seen Cool Runnings a bunch of years ago, I consider myself a certified bobsledding expert
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Used Member Joined: Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    It happens sometimes, get a lot of great stuff going one night, eager to play the next day, and you're just off your game. It''s hard not to play the game for me sometimes, but you just gotta decompress and step away from thinking about strats matchups and combos for evening or so. If I've been grinding out lots of matches(which I tend to do), taking a break for a day usually works in my favor, especially if it's a bunch of salt inducing shitty matches. Come back the next day on point. It's nothing to worry about

GT: AlphaZero
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 479
    This game is devolving into a non stop 50/50 safe mixup game with 400+ dmg for each braindead rock paper scissor choice you make. Either that or just spam your safe long reaching poke strings and wait for the opponent to get sick of blocking. At least this is what the top tier characters amount to. 

bold test italics test underline test strikeout test subscript test superscript test blue test size test

Mend and Defend

SSFIV AE 2012:
    xbox gamertag: Learis1
    chars played (best to worst): Fei Long, Yang, Chun-Li, Sagat, Cammy, Guile
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 991
    learis1 said:
    This game is devolving into a non stop 50/50 safe mixup game with 400+ dmg for each braindead rock paper scissor choice you make. Either that or just spam your safe long reaching poke strings and wait for the opponent to get sick of blocking. At least this is what the top tier characters amount to. 
    This is *exactly* what I came into this thread to say. Once some of the Tekken characters get in on you, that's it, you're taking damage. Stand up, eat a fat combo, crouch, eat a fat combo. Stray air to air, whoops, ground bounce into 40%. 
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
  • stabicronstabicron CTRL ALT PSYCHOCRUSHER Joined: Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭
    Ugh I am half convinced Hwo is broken. Safe on everything
    Ultra: Bison, Decapre, Oni, Cammy
    Guilty Gear: Sol, Jam, Millia | KOF13: Athena/Kula/Yuri
  • cgmcgm Joined: Posts: 107

stabicron said:
    He's the best character in the game in my opinion, and for all the wrong reasons. Everything he does feels like "bullshit", I don't really ever feel like I got outplayed when I lose to him.
    cgm said:

stabicron said:
    He's the best character in the game in my opinion, and for all the wrong reasons. Everything he does feels like "bullshit", I don't really ever feel like I got outplayed when I lose to him.
    Yeah and you can add Lei to that list....
    Hwoarang's been hardly punishable since vanilla when used by a good player.
    I am sure this will not surprise you but, I have barely played Vanilla
  • Shooting Star RockmanShooting Star Rockman Jaded Joined: Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭
    stabicron said:
    That's understandable.  Anyway, the Tekken characters I consider pain in the ass to fight even in vanilla are Law, Hwoarang, Jin, and Kazuya.  Of course, it still depends on the player's skill.
    stabicron said:
    That's understandable.  Anyway, the Tekken characters I consider pain in the ass to fight even in vanilla are Law, Hwoarang, Jin, and Kazuya.  Of course, it still depends on the player's skill.
    Almost the same list I have in my head, add Lei and Xiaoyu and you have it exactly
  • Shooting Star RockmanShooting Star Rockman Jaded Joined: Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    @Stabicron

I haven't played that many Lei and Xiaoyu players so I didn't include them.  I played a Lei only once (which is at beginner level as expected as I played him when 1.06 along with the DLC character data was just released in GFWL) and I see Xiaoyu being used more as an anchor damage dealer although I've known someone who is good at using her as point. 

I'm playing the PC version by the way, but the way I see it they'll be more scary to play against in 2013.
    Post edited by Shooting Star Rockman on
  • JLALloydJLALloyd Joined: Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    I've been playing the game since launch and still end up losing against j.hk + 50/50 tekken string Kazuyas. He started baiting my Asuka's counter before the last hit, jumps and punish with abc super. 500dmg with his super art gems. I have been dealing with that for nearly one year, can't believe I still lost twice now that's a real shame.  X_X
    Not a rant about 50/50, it does no damage.. I'm happy he did these instead of EWGF.
    France
    Gamertag - JLALloyd
  • SongiSongi Raw launcher warrior! Joined: Posts: 1,334
    I always enjoy seeing other Xiaoyu play. I just wished that Xiaoyu in that vid used cr. hk at least once or twice to stop Ryu and Ken from jumping all over her with J.Hk. They also had 3 bars for the majority of round 3 which means they're not taking advantage of EX turn of fortune to stop wake up dp from Ryu. Just don't use it vs anyone who has a rapid hitting multi dp or it could spell trouble. Other than that, they fought almost like a mini version of me.
    SFxT: Christie/Xiaoyu subs: Lili or Asuka
    TTT2: Xiaoyu / Lili , Jun / Asuka Learning: Anna
    PSN: Songi_Legaia
    http://rawtag.blogspot.com/
  • FastlaneFastlane Joined: Posts: 230
    I played a very solid Elena today. She seemed incredibly good and almost op until I remembered raw launchers. I almost slapped myself for my stupidity.
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 991
    So let me get this straight, EWGF has invincibility, costs no meter and is safe on block? Or am I missing something?
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
    So let me get this straight, EWGF has invincibility, costs no meter and is safe on block? Or am I missing something?
    Yup, yup, yessir, annnnnd.... nope, didn't miss anything.

And if you think that's crazy... pre-patch? It was safer lol.

That said I can't hate on it too much, the execution to do it consistently enough to rely on it is pretty darn high.  But damn, when you run into someone who can, it is brutal.  A good EWGF Kaz pretty much blows up my point Juri in one misplaced jump or bad read.  Over half-life, free. :-(
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    I was running Marduk/Blanka at Winter Brawl and I can't count how many times I got fucked up for missing an input during electricity pressure. I use the slide method so if I don't hit all 5 inputs before the active frames on jab I'll get chains instead, which are not safe. Makes me afraid to use it.

I really they'd also fixed cross-up collision boxes. It's like the game isn't sure what side they should land on sometimes so they choose a random side. Too many characters can cross you up and land in front of you or vice versa.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    Man I really need to work on my match-up knowledge.
    I got knocked into losers at WB7 by a Xiaoyu player because I literally have never fought a Xiaoyu before :< And I really feel like I should have beaten that guy.

And then Will08 knocked me out of the tournament lol
    I gotta step it up for next time!

Lars and Nina are going iiiiiiiiiiiiin!
  • FastlaneFastlane Joined: Posts: 230
    Yeah, I fought a guy using Christie and I got beaten up really badly because I had no idea what to do. 

Also I want to learn Xiaoyou, but I'm too lazy so I just "learned" Law.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    Aloci said:
    I got knocked into losers at WB7 by a Xiaoyu player because I literally have never fought a Xiaoyu before :< And I really feel like I should have beaten that guy.

Yeah Will is a good friend of mine, probably the best SFxT player in the D.M.V area (since there's not many people who play it  here.) His Nina/Chun team is pretty brutal.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    M.D. said:
    Aloci said:

Yeah Will is a good friend of mine, probably the best SFxT player in the D.M.V area (since there's not many people who play it  here.) His Nina/Chun team is pretty brutal.
    Yeah I was training with him before pools for SFxT started, which definitely helped me out and made me realize that I haven't explored this game deep enough yet.
    He picked his Hwo/Julia team against me lol. Fuck Hwo and all the safeness he's got.

His s.MK (I think), beating Nina's cr.MK makes me salty like no other.
    Damn Metal Gear Rising.....the need to complete is starting to cut into my SFxT time.....
  • FlyingVeFlyingVe Best Poster of All Time Joined: Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlphaZero said:
    Damn Metal Gear Rising.....the need to complete is starting to cut into my SFxT time.....
    Have you unlocked the super hard difficulty's yet?

They will make you rage. Whoever decided to map block and attack to the same button, and make you hit a direction to block in a game where the camera spends most of the game going breserk should be shot.
    UMvC3: Viper/Dante/Strider, Jill/Dante/Wesker, Nova/Spencer/Sentinel
    Killer Instinct: Thunder, Spinal, Jago
    SF4: Hugo, Abel, Oni, Yang
    SF3:Yang
    edited February 2013
    FlyingVe said:
    AlphaZero said:
    Have you unlocked the super hard difficulty's yet?

They will make you rage. Whoever decided to map block and attack to the same button, and make you hit a direction to block in a game where the camera spends most of the game going breserk should be shot.

Yeah finished Very Hard and started messing with the VR missions(Mission 18 is a bastard!), can't S-Rank stage 00 on Revengeance for the life of me right now.. Didn't mind Very Hard much, but I've got the parry thing down pretty good. S-Ranked all the bosses on Very Hard.....achievement grinding too. I want this 1000/1000 lol. Only do it for games I like, but this one is Ninja Gaiden level of dangerous for me......hardcore action genre is the only genre that can make me stop playing fighters for a minute or two( in NGB/NG2 I told my friends I'd be back in couple of months lol). Thankful Platinum did a stellar job, erases the sour taste Colonial Marines left me with. Keep getting a bunch of fricking weirdos when playing SFxT past few days, somebody should have warned me that Sunday was Ryu/Zangief SF4 exhibitions. The itch to play MGR is getting to me though, and now Razor's Edge NG3 a month away.....

Post edited by AlphaZero on
  • FlyingVeFlyingVe Best Poster of All Time Joined: Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yea, as much as I just bitched about MGR, its still really good.

Just not as Platinum's alst games Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Also, I kinda prefer DmC for recent action games, even if it is a bit easy.
    UMvC3: Viper/Dante/Strider, Jill/Dante/Wesker, Nova/Spencer/Sentinel
    Killer Instinct: Thunder, Spinal, Jago
    SF4: Hugo, Abel, Oni, Yang
    SF3:Yang
    edited February 2013
    FlyingVe said:
    Oh yea, as much as I just bitched about MGR, its still really good.

Just not as Platinum's alst games Bayonetta and Vanquish.

Also, I kinda prefer DmC for recent action games, even if it is a bit easy.

My only gripe with MGR is length, if Platinum does MGR2 like Kojima wants from day 1, then GOOD GOD that's gonna be amazing. Tried DmC a bit on PS3 copy I had traded in, but Ninja Theory has always struck me as mediocre developer that thinks they're better at making games than they actually are. DmC did not do much to change this for me.
    Diggin MGR's combat immensely though, more I experiment the more serendipitous cool shit keeps happening. Caught Sundowner in full juggle with Armor Breaker, shit was neat

Post edited by AlphaZero on
  • NaokiB4UNaokiB4U Joined: Posts: 1,090
    I hate how blatant the tiers are in this game. Its really obvious who's better than who and everyone just uses those top tiers. Its killing creativity in the game and I'm getting bored playing the same top tier guys against my low tiers. I'm losing hard simply because my options are limited.
    If you teabag or taunt, you're a scrub.
    I hate Marduk. He raped me of my fun.

bold test italics test underline test strikeout test subscript test superscript test blue test size test

Mend and Defend

SSFIV AE 2012:
  • MousefireMousefire Joined: Posts: 72 ✭✭
    NaokiB4U said:
    I hate how blatant the tiers are in this game. Its really obvious who's better than who and everyone just uses those top tiers. Its killing creativity in the game and I'm getting bored playing the same top tier guys against my low tiers. I'm losing hard simply because my options are limited.

There isn't that big of a gap between high and low tier, dude. I doubt you're losing "simply" because you're playing low tiers. 
    learis1 said:
    I hate Marduk. He raped me of my fun.

What are you having trouble against? 
    SFxT: JinXLei/Marduk
    edited February 2013
    Well, it's mainly his diagonal jump hp. His quick jumps and crossups from anywhere in general annoy the hell out of me. But also his long range crouch pokes coupled with threat of command grab. It's like once he knocks me down it's literally 2 wrong guesses and I'm done. I have trouble with him and zangief a lot. 
    Post edited by learis1 on

Mend and Defend

SSFIV AE 2012:
    edited February 2013
    Mousefire said:
    NaokiB4U said:

There isn't that big of a gap between high and low tier, dude. I doubt you're losing "simply" because you're playing low tiers. 

That's how its worked with me for this game though. Unlike say Marvel or SSFIV where I can do decently with a low tier, in this game it just seems impossible. And the gap is high, very high. I'm not sure what's making you think its not haha. Unless you're playing those bottom tiers to PERFECTION, you aren't beating a top tier who is skilled at all. I've never felt this way with SSFIV or Marvel even though marvel is pretty bad too. to be fair this is more a rant on myself within this game rather than on the full game as a whole I guess.
    Post edited by NaokiB4U on
    No seriously, the gap between tiers really is not that huge, unless you're talking the tippity-top tier and the lowest of the low...  which honestly is still in flux because it's just too early in the game's life to know for sure yet.

Who do you play?
    learis1 said:
    Well, it's mainly his diagonal jump hp. His quick jumps and crossups from anywhere in general annoy the hell out of me. But also his long range crouch pokes coupled with threat of command grab. It's like once he knocks me down it's literally 2 wrong guesses and I'm done. I have trouble with him and zangief a lot. 
    It's the grappler vortex! XD

In all seriousness, avoiding a knockdown against them is priority number one.  That's the crux of their game - one knockdown into guess into another guess into death.  Best bet is to go to the lab and see what your characters options are against his more common normals (cr.mp, fs.hp, cl.lk) and practice dealing with his wakeup shenanigans.

Just about all of his close normals are cancelable (which surprised me and made the decision to play him even more rewarding), but you can punish his CADC on reaction for certain.  If you find yourself in close quarters with him, neutral jump with multi-hit normals can be annoying for Marduk when he's trying to grab you, but don't do it too much as he can still get an air grab (or a counter-hit jab) as well.

I dunno' if that helps much, as I'm still learning him myself, but hopefully it's a starting point.  :)
    edited February 2013
    Asuka right now. Can't decide on a 2nd. I like Alisa but she's a bit complicated in terms of her approach for me although I hear she's high tier. Trying to learn why right now ;) I've dabbled with Abel and Juri. Juri was def better in vanilla as I could never lose an anti air war with incoming shotos, but with her cr.HP nerf I can't anti-air anything reliably anymore. Abel still gets eaten up by throws and since they didn't buff his step kick (which really needed it) I keep getting beat out by DPs all day. Cant block it after a step kick. Not sure if its online lag or I just suck but it wont block. I know I should be able to but I cant. Looking at the characters I play it seems the main reason why I'm losing is because I don't have any reliable anti-airs. No fullproof DPs that the shotos have. I'm unsafe, or they are slow or they do weak damage. Keep in mind I'm losing to braindead nonsense too. Jab jab jab jump crossup jab jab overhead jab. Eventually you slip up once and in this game it means game over.

Admittedly I'm still learning the game because I stopped after a few months of release. Its a whole new beast but I still feel there are too many safe jab strings and too much BS. Don't know how to beat it just yet I guess. But still it seems unfair. Hey this is the ranting thread anyways, not lookin for justifications as to why I'm wrong, just lookin for a place to bitch.
    Post edited by NaokiB4U on
    Juri still shouldn't lose to shoto jump-ins, but if you're ever unsure, cr.mp is the more secure AA (though you don't get that sweet damage off of it of course).  I'd be willing to bet online lag has to do with it - things I know shouldn't work for/against me work online.  Sadly... nature of the beast, it is.

I'd look to put someone up front for Asuka, with a reliable AA (DP or really good AA normal) and better neutral game, who can get Asuka in position to do what she does best.  If you do decide to go with Juri, you can always bug Darkphyre about the team as he plays Juri/Asuka as well. 

Anyways, I know I know I know it's the ranting thread. :-p  
  • Captain PyronCaptain Pyron That Guy Who Sucks at Everything Joined: Posts: 68
    Having so much trouble dealing with Law lately. Doesn't really help that a lot of people seem to have jumped on that bandwagon now. For those who have stuck with him since the beginning, good for you. Only time I can get him is when he gets really predictable with the low pokes between chains. Can get him with a launcher or counter occasionally but not much more than that.

What annoys me most of all though is how my execution seems to go completely crap when I need something that I know will at the very least give me another chance. Someone's gonna chip me out? Better use my ex, super, cross art, pandora, etc. to try and avoid that. Nah, let's just stand here and get hit when I had something that would've saved me. Best feeling in the world.
    SFxT: Juri x Asuka (Mains) Bryan, Kuma, Akuma, Sakura (Sides) Injustice: The Joker and maybe Raven
    AE: Juri (Main) Hakan, Akuma, Sakura (Sides) UMvC3: Ghost Rider, Shuma Gorath, ???
    3S: Remy/Akuma(still learning both)
    BBCSEX: Rachel/Noel(still learning both)
  • SWAG KING YOLOSWAG KING YOLO Joined: Posts: 77
    Did you guys know that if you team up with a player who has a low BP count and you lose your match you will lose the same amount of BP as low BP count dude? I can only imagine this happens when you win, too.

Just barely beat some 16k dude and his 100 BP Smurf friend and he only lost 3 BP. So they were probably looking for some actual new players, body them and rack up some points.

What pisses me of more is that if I had lost I would have lost even more because you lose to two players.

Point system doesn't fucking work.
    yea, they said they were going to fix it but I don't see it
    I'm so salty.

I haven't gotten to play this game with other people since Winterbrawl >:(