THE "KING OF GGPO" TOURNAMENT

KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴJoined: Posts: 891
ggpo_tournament.png

line_thin.png

IT'S TIME GGPO HAD A "MAJOR" TOURNAMENT AND A TRUE "KING", SO LET'S DO THIS!

line_thin.png

ROUND 1 QUALIFIER: SliceEveryone (Boxer)
ROUND 2 QUALIFIER: TBA
ROUND 3 QUALIFIER: TBA

FORMAT / RULES:
  • There are three 32-man bracket qualifying tournaments (three chances to qualify):
  • ROUND 1 - October 28, 2011 @ 10PM PST.
  • ROUND 2 - November 4, 2011 @ 10PM PST.
  • ROUND 3 - November 11, 2011 @ 10PM PST.
  • The winner of each tournament QUALIFIES for the FINALS on November 18, 2011.
  • The winner of each tournament may not enter the following qualifying tournaments.
  • To help keep pings as low as possible, we're restricting it to players from North America only.
  • We are also instituting a ping limit. For players outside the US, we will be testing pings before the start of the tournament. If the ping is over 150, we will have an alternate take your place. (Sorry!)
  • All matches in the qualifying tournaments are 2 OUT OF 3 rounds and DOUBLE ELIMINATION
  • WINNERS FINALS, LOSER FINALS, and GRAND FINALS are 3 OUT OF 5 ROUNDS.
  • CHARACTER LOCK tournament. Players must choose their character when registering.
  • Akuma is banned. Zangief's "magic grab" glitch is banned.
  • Anyone who is caube using macros or turbos, will be DISQUALIFIED and BANNED.
  • Any excessive unsportsmanlike behavior will result in a BAN. Keep it civilized, gentlemen!
  • Any players absent after fifteen minutes of the start time, will be DISQUALIFIED and the first alternate will take his/her place.
  • If two players cannot connect, they will have the option of playing on an alternative service (Supercade, etc.). If this is not an option, a coinflip will determine the winner. (Yes, it's lame, but what can you do?)
  • Online sign-ups will continue to be accepted after the 32 man pools are filled and players will be alternates (in the order received) for those who do not show up for the tournament. In addition, sign-ups will be accepted in the GGPO ST lobby before the tournament and those players will be added as additional alternates.
FINALS:
  • THREE MAN, RACE TO TEN FORMAT between the three finalists.
  • The first two players will be chosen at random and they will play one game. WINNER STAYS. The third player plays the winner one game. Repeat. First player to TEN is the CHAMPION!
Matches will be streamed by Sabin @ http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby for the world to see, SO BRING YOUR "A" GAME!
THE WINNER WILL BE CROWNED "KING OF GGPO" AND HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS UNTIL THE NEXT TOURNAMENT (TBA).
Go HERE for rules and to REGISTER.

- HUGE THANKS to SABIN for helping out with the stream.
- SPECIAL THANKS to PAPASI for running the brackets.
- Thanks to Ghaleon for his assistance with the format.
- Thanks to Ponder, of course, for this GGPO thing. :)
Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter

Comments

• TheUtilityGirlTheUtilityGirl Joined: Posts: 155
    Cool Idea, I might enter.
    <Markman> No one will die as long as I'm around
    <Markman> I parry armageddons with my finger
    <Markman> I can also parry your girl with my finger
    <Markman> Hold that
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    Kuroppi, friday night is a bad idea, unless it's pass 11pm PST....

This sounds exciting

PS Please also ban turbo and macros and excessive shit talking and crying
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    Kuroppi, friday night is a bad idea, unless it's pass 11pm PST....

This sounds exciting

Is this because of connection issues? MuffinMan told me doing it this early might be a problem because of that last night.

I don't mind moving it back (it actually works better for me) but it depends on Sabin and one of the main reasons was to make it more convenient for people on the East Coast. Moving it to 11PM PST will start the tournament at 2AM for East Coasters, which is probably too late, seeing as tournaments usually last a couple of hours, though we'll try our best to run it as quickly as possible.

If anyone is caught with turbo or macros, they'll be disqualified and banned. As for trash talking and crying, well, I assume there's going to be alot of that when certain people lose. ;) But anything excessive can get you banned from future tournaments.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

Yeah you need to cross challenge 20 times to get a casual game going on friday night.
    People will probably drop out of the tournament after a few tries.
    Thurs/Sunday would be better imo, but that depends on sabin, you and whoever that is helping to run this.

I think we need explicit rules in case two players cannot connect.
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    Everyone should monitor me for turbos and macros, but mostly because I like the attention.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
  • CigarB0BCigarB0B Joined: Posts: 34
    IMO the best night to do it on would be a Thursday or Sunday. Friday just wont work unless we can nuke KOF.

Also 2/3 just isn't needed. Just make the whole thing 3/5. It isn't like you are trying to really save any time playing on only two cabinets.
    Sabin said he can do Friday or Sunday. Late Sunday night wouldn't work for most people (obviously) so It's going to have to be on Friday. So the only thing we could possibly do is move it back but I'll have to talk to Sabin about that.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• blitzfublitzfu Cosmic Power Joined: Posts: 3,072
    Early Sunday evening/afternoon would be great (for me). Thanks for organizing this Kuroppi (and Sabin).
  • SabinSabin Arcana 2 on PS2 SUX Joined: Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just posted it up on my twitter/fb to blow it up. Once everything is in place I'll post on IPW myself. Get back to me when everything is ready (regarding what to do in case of disconnection, in case of slight schedule change, etc)
    SRK should stand for Stupid Retarded Kids.
    Originally Posted by Alidfe
    Arturo Sanchez won't be the best Dhalsim until he moves to Kyoto and changes his name to Kazuhiko Nitsuma.
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    So no fun ah.
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    Cool, I'll enter!
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
    Cool, I'll enter!

Make sure you register here!
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• megaultrasupermegaultrasuper Joined: Posts: 833
    Maybe I'm just reading wrong but are the finals are supposed to look like this?

1. Players 1, 2, and 3 qualify.

2. Player 1, 2, and 3 each roll a dice. The two highest rolling players play each other.

3. The remaining player plays the winner for in the grand finals.

This is just a straight up bye into the final match. Isn't that something to be avoided? Especially in the finals of a major.

Why not take 4 finalists in order to have a more even finals? Just add another round to the tournament. A daytime round would be nice for those of us who are busy in the evenings or night but could probably be there at 1 or 2 pm.
    Kuro/Sabin.

The time slot has to be resolved asap if you are taking rsvp now.
    friday night will be disastrous.
    shesho and ultra have already stopped doing casual tourneys on friday because of that.

also may I suggest that people who rsvp only have priority when it's > 32.
    the actual signup should still happen in the lobby like the other tourney.
    people flake on these all the time.

also you can consider Round Robin for finals. But that might not be as exciting as elimination tourney.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    also you can consider Round Robin for finals. But that might not be as exciting as elimination tourney.
    I think the format for the finals is fine. It may be troublesome, though, due to connecting and disconnecting while many people try to spectate, but round robin would not fix that.
    Maybe I'm just reading wrong but are the finals are supposed to look like this?

1. Players 1, 2, and 3 qualify.

2. Player 1, 2, and 3 each roll a dice. The two highest rolling players play each other.

3. The remaining player plays the winner for in the grand finals.

This is just a straight up bye into the final match. Isn't that something to be avoided? Especially in the finals of a major.

Why not take 4 finalists in order to have a more even finals? Just add another round to the tournament. A daytime round would be nice for those of us who are busy in the evenings or night but could probably be there at 1 or 2 pm.

The finals "race to ten" is basically a three way first to ten wins. The first two players play one game. The winner stays and plays the third player. They play one game. Winner stays and plays then faces the other player. Repeat until someone gets ten wins.

We thought about doing a regular round robin but this format seems more exciting. But we'll see how it turns out, especially in an online format.

I also considered having four finalists but this tournament is already going to go for four weeks and I don't really want it going any longer than that.

I'm not available to run any daytime tournaments but that could be something to add for the next one and maybe someone can help with running that one. However, if players aren't going to be available to play in the finals, it seems kind of pointless to run a daytime tournament for this particular series.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

Kuro/Sabin.

The time slot has to be resolved asap if you are taking rsvp now.
    friday night will be disastrous.
    shesho and ultra have already stopped doing casual tourneys on friday because of that.

also may I suggest that people who rsvp only have priority when it's > 32.
    the actual signup should still happen in the lobby like the other tourney.
    people flake on these all the time.

Edited:

Online sign-ups will continue to be accepted after the 32 man pools are filled and players will be alternates (in the order received) for those who do not show up for the tournament. In addition, sign-ups will be accepted in the GGPO ST lobby before the tournament and those players will be added as additional alternates.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

Signups are filling up fast. Sign up before it's too late!

http://www.kuroppi.com/ggpo/results/

Also, first post updated.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    So no fun ah.
    To help keep pings as low as possible, we're restricting it to players from North America only. (Sorry!)

why'd you register
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    Art, its probably easier to get at you in this thread at this point since you keep getting lost on the way to IRC.

Jump on irc or pm me your AIM or something, I have some new stream tech you can use for this tourney to make quality better for the stream.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • SotoSoto The un-safe jump master. ~FrankieSnow~ Joined: Posts: 244
    To help keep pings as low as possible, we're restricting it to players from North America only. (Sorry!)

why'd you register
    Hey , i did just to add more competition, north America only c`mon, if u look back casual ggpo tournaments yito (Mexico)has won a big chunk, mad_Zero (El Salvador) won the other day , kyoya (Mexico) also win , and who knows maybe i woulda hit 1 as well, just saying that if you don`t have the latin flavor in it migth not be the best online competition you can get.
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    Dude your ping is terrible. Everyone knows this.
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • JizzonJizzon ...or Thenarus, whichever. Joined: Posts: 650
    I would SO be in this if I wasn't running a sad ping from South Korea! Kick some ass everyone!
  • CMonster1221CMonster1221 Foundation of Albany Joined: Posts: 1,460
    Id try to be in. Gona get bodied though. These Sunday nite tournies are always fun.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    "Pad players are like cereal with water. You're just not doing it right."
    http://www.twitch.tv/cmonster1221
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Videojonathan
  • mayor mcjustinmayor mcjustin Betty White = GDLK Joined: Posts: 1,801
    I didnt read every post, but is there a way to monitor to see if people are using macro?? its a bitch of a problem that i cant stand when people use
    ST: Dee Jay
    Persona 4 Arena: I have no idea yet !!!!
  • megaultrasupermegaultrasuper Joined: Posts: 833
    Hey , i did just to add more competition, north America only c`mon, if u look back casual ggpo tournaments yito (Mexico)has won a big chunk, mad_Zero (El Salvador) won the other day , kyoya (Mexico) also win , and who knows maybe i woulda hit 1 as well, just saying that if you don`t have the latin flavor in it migth not be the best online competition you can get.

Mexico is in North America....

Or does North America for this tourney = US and Canada?
    Mexico is in North America....

Or does North America for this tourney = US and Canada?

I initially was going to make this a US/Canada tournament only but I chose "North America" because I wanted to give Yito (Mexico) a chance to enter since he has been doing well and winning a number of the small tournaments people are running what seems like several times a week. I will say that I've played Yito a number of times and the connection can be okay at times but often times it's quite a bit laggy and I'm probably closer to him than most players are. And Yito hasn't registered for this tournament, so the idea kind of backfired.

A number of people have voiced their concerns about ping being a problem if they go against players from Latin America. And this is a understandable concern because other GGPO tournaments institute a ping limit of I believe 150ms.

This is an online tournament so it will obviously have it's flaws but this tournament has gained a lot of interest already and is shaping up to be a big tournament and we want this to be unaffected by lag as much as possible so a ping limit may have to be implemented. Stay tuned.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• KoopKoop SRK - D.M.V. OG™ (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 5,487 mod
    Ill join for support. Kuroppi if you an arturo needs help let me know...
    Respected... simple as that.
    Please note the new start time, 10PM PST, for this Friday's tournament (Round 1).

Due to concerns with connection problems and due to Sabin's availability, we need to move the start time back one hour for the first tournament. Sorry for the inconvenience but this change needed to be made to help with the quality of the tournament.

In addition, there will be a ping limit of 150. We will check pings before the start of the tournament. Players whose pings exceed 150 will be replaced with an alternate.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• SpidercarnageSpidercarnage Joined: Posts: 91
    This sounds awesome. I know this might be a stupid question but will there be a stream? Or do we just tune in on GGPO and watch the matches?
    This sounds awesome. I know this might be a stupid question but will there be a stream? Or do we just tune in on GGPO and watch the matches?

And I went through all that trouble putting the stream link in the banner and posts. ;)

Sabin will be streaming on his channel: www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

We would like all spectators (in game and out of game) to use the stream to keep the games free of any spectator lag.

Edit: Plus you get to hear Sabin's great commentary! :tup:
    Shhh... ST in da house!

Please note the new start time, 10PM PST, for this Friday's tournament (Round 1).

In addition, there will be a ping limit of 150. We will check pings before the start of the tournament. Players whose pings exceed 150 will be replaced with an alternate.

Looking at the signup page, I saw many non-regulars entering.

From my experience playing/running ggpo online tourneys, the most annoying thing is unable to connect.

You'd often have two guys blocking the whole tourney because they cannot connect.

Most likely it's because their ports are not forwarded correctly (they will tell you it's forwarded), and they were playing fine with other players because the other guys set it up properly.

I strongly suggest requesting all participants to test their ggpo setup before friday and make sure it works properly. Instead of waiting until friday when kuroppi enters you into the tourney and then you get stuck.

forward UDP ports 6000-6009 to your computer
    follow instructions from http://portforward.com/

download open check port tool
    http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

test UDP ports 6000-6009

if everyone can do that and test it prior to the tourney, it would probably make this a successful tourney

(if time permits, during the ping checks, the participants should challenge sabin from EC and cigarbob from WC and make sure they can connect)
    Looking at the signup page, I saw many non-regulars entering.

From my experience playing/running ggpo online tourneys, the most annoying thing is unable to connect.

You'd often have two guys blocking the whole tourney because they cannot connect.

Most likely it's because their ports are not forwarded correctly (they will tell you it's forwarded), and they were playing fine with other players because the other guys set it up properly.

I strongly suggest requesting all participants to test their ggpo setup before friday and make sure it works properly. Instead of waiting until friday when kuroppi enters you into the tourney and then you get stuck.

forward UDP ports 6000-6009 to your computer
    follow instructions from http://portforward.com/

download open check port tool
    http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

test UDP ports 6000-6009

if everyone can do that and test it prior to the tourney, it would probably make this a successful tourney

(if time permits, during the ping checks, the participants should challenge sabin from EC and cigarbob from WC and make sure they can connect)

Great idea. Thanks papasi!

Will you be available to assist with this before the tourney starts?

Also, please note where you are on the signup page (in the first 32 or listed as an alternate). Though we don't know how many people may not show up and how many alternates can get in, you should be able to have a general idea of your chances to get in.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

Doing GGPO test stream now: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby
    Arturo Sanchez won't be the best Dhalsim until he moves to Kyoto and changes his name to Kazuhiko Nitsuma.
  • TheMuffinManTheMuffinMan 「満」 「寸」 「越」 Joined: Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Doing GGPO test stream now: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby
    The stream looks great! Big thanks to you and Kuroppi for putting this together! :D
    "That you float along in the ocean and live a life of peace does not come from your own resourcefulness." - Demon's Sermon on Martial Arts
  • KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    Can i still enter? didn't know about this until just now, lol.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
    Can i still enter? didn't know about this until just now, lol.

List of players who have signed up are here: http://www.kuroppi.com/ggpo/results/

The 32 bracket has filled up a while ago but we're still taking sign ups as alternates and you can even try to sign up in GGPO before the tournament (you never know). I know a couple of people who made the 32 have stated they probably can't make it now so there will at least be a couple of alternates who make it in. As with any tournament (online or offline) people will flake or have something come up so I would expect a number of alternates to make it in.

In retrospect, I should have opened the signups to round one only and open round two after the first tournament finished and round three next week, so that players who found out about this late, could have a good shot at entering. Live and learn.

We'll do it that way for the next one. :)
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• KyouyaKyouya SSF2T Joined: Posts: 173
    I see, well i have already registered in you page, if i can't make it i'll try in the next one.
    Strike First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy.
  • VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,917
    Cleared my friday night just to watch people play Super Turbo online

Fuck yeah
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
  • PhobosPhobos Old Man with a BIG stick Joined: Posts: 381
    I would enter , but have a shitty wifi connection only right now =(
    For you the day that M.Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life, but for me it was Tuesday!

" I perfer touch of women on my member ". ryuBESTman

http://stuffpoint.com/index.php?r=mbeauchamp_1

http://www.entropiapartners.com/?r=14258................yes I play entropia-screename:Phobos- Look for me.
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    When are the brackets coming out?
    Ah shit..    
    When are the brackets coming out?

When the tournment starts.
    Shhh... ST in da house!

• SpidercarnageSpidercarnage Joined: Posts: 91
    And I went through all that trouble putting the stream link in the banner and posts. ;)

Sabin will be streaming on his channel: www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

We would like all spectators (in game and out of game) to use the stream to keep the games free of any spectator lag.

Edit: Plus you get to hear Sabin's great commentary! :tup:

I apologize, I missed the link in the first post. I did say it was a stupid question :)
  • milesokeefemilesokeefe Spammy Joined: Posts: 387
    Too good, this'll really help pass the time I'm trapped at work
  • PrincePrince Yare Yare Daze Joined: Posts: 215
    Never played ST (Unfortunately...) but fuck I'm so hyped to watch this.
    Horizontalballlife
  • Lance MichaelsLance Michaels Movement for zero frames of input delay for SF5 Joined: Posts: 64
    nice!!!
    Keep the Street in Street Fighter
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    <papasi> *** RULES: CHARACTER LOCKED. BEST 2/3 GAMES FOR POOL. 3/5 IN WINNERS/LOSERS/GRAND FINALS, AKUMA/O ZANGIEF GLITCH BANNED ***

a huge list of players and characters https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ArtVvIaej0vUdGREYlFsVE1ZOFFraTdCSUdUbkk0NGc&toomany=true

brackets http://challonge.com/ggporound1

stream http://es.twitch.tv/nycfurby (hasn't started yet)
  • psychostasiapsychostasia precision machinery Joined: Posts: 32
    might wanna tell everyone to /ignore lastscene/gongjoo
    Thanks papasi.
  • milesokeefemilesokeefe Spammy Joined: Posts: 387
    opening cinema cammy is kinda funny looking

gogo krost!

gogo megaman3d!