The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,121
    Jackie Brown kicks ass. Great cast, great music, and the funniest portrayal of a man shooting a woman for getting on his nerves.
    Just watching him become unhinged over that woman is great.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I Saw The Devil brilliantly takes one of Hollywood's most overused themes and simply examines it very deeply, I was surprised at how incisive it ended up becoming. Also the ending was mind blowing:tup:

i saw the devil is so good. i dont know what's up with korea, but man their movie making skills are legit. i also enjoyed the ending

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    Got the whole family to watch The Host over Christmas, ladies in the family started crying. Another great S.Korean film.
  • ViciousSLASHViciousSLASH Game Time Jones Joined: Posts: 7,510
    Michael Fassbender could do it.
    http://michaelpfeffer.blogspot.com I don't even update this, who cares
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i saw the devil is so good. i dont know what's up with korea, but man their movie making skills are legit. i also enjoyed the ending

im outi

Roberth

a man from nowhere was baws too 8-)
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    I saw Seven Samurai for the first time a few months ago. I'm aware it was groundbreaking for its time but I dont quite understand why its considered one of the greatest films ever made... I'll probably have the exact same sentiments after i've watched Citizen Kane, which i have no interest in seeing unless it just happens to be on when i'm flicking through tv channels.

I saw Catch Me If You Can on new years eve and this has to be the most underrated film i've ever seen. Its definitely one of Spielberg's best films if not the best film he's ever made imo.
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    Jaws would like to have several words with CMIYC...
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
    a man from nowhere was baws too 8-)

ya it was. check out the yellow sea as well, it starts out kinda slow, but then shit hits the fan...with a hand axe...

im outi

Roberth
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    never heard of it but I will check later tonight
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,941
    With family over the last week and they Have NetFlix so watched some "new" movies and old movies I didn't care for back then because of bias.

Battle Royale - awesome, introduced to it through the manga. Saw the movie, let down by the lack of violence. Watched it without the bias of the mang/book being better and ended up enjoying the movie a lot later.

BRII - cool story, I guess but it lacks the intensity of the first one and is more of a rebel story. The cameo of the girl from the first one was a nice touch, and I likes the rule in this one, which led to a high body count in the first 30 minutes.

Outrage and Sonatine were cool. Sonatine being the weaker of the two. Character devolopment was coo' but the ending was eye roll inducing. Outrage on the other hand is one of the better gangster flicks, and is probably only 2nd to the Infernal Affairs trilogy as far as all time gangster flicks.

There were more, like M, that had a more "shocking" type of story that underground Japanese films are fond of.

Django was the only movie I saw in theaters and that's because I read about it here, 2 days prior to seeing it. Fun movie, made up for IB.

The Personals was actually my favorite of these as it deals with a woman going on blind dates to get over her ex-boyfriend, which doesn't go so well. 1) because she can't get over him 2) because the people answering the ad, we're out there. Movie did an awesome job at of creating uncomfortable moments, as well as funny and frustrating moments.

There were others I saw such as the Green Chair, but I only watched that to see naked Korean chicks. Sex scenes were nice.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • Dirt Mc GirtDirt Mc Girt OLD DIRTY Joined: Posts: 1,089
    texas chainsaw as awesome as i thought it would be

i guess that makes them 0 for 7 on trying to capitalize on the only success tobe hooper had in his career? unless he gets credit for poltergeist

though i'm torn on that space vampire in london movie he made

• PterodactylPterodactyl drenched in sauce Joined: Posts: 7,227
    Finished watching Young Adult.

It was an odd watch, felt more like a short one season series compressed into 94 minutes than a true movie.

It was pretty decent, nothing bad about it but nothing quite spectacular either.

One thing I thought was kind of cool/interesting was:
    How Patton Oswalt's character convinced Charlize Theron's character to change towards the end of the movie, and the next morning his sister convinces her to stay a selfish inconsiderate slutty bitch. I kind of felt bad after that, the fact that the movie ended on such a sour note after making you expect a happy ending, but that kind of made the movie a little more unique I guess.
    spread'em

i guess that makes them 0 for 7 on trying to capitalize on the only success tobe hooper had in his career? unless he gets credit for poltergeist

I love Tobe Hooper. He made my favorite film of all time (TCM), but Poltergeist is a Spielberg film plain and simple. It was made at the same time as E.T. and you can see it CLEARLY if you compare those two films...

edit: He did make the first Creepshow, that isn't bad. It's not quality cinema, but it has it's moments.
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

have you ever put yourself in the movie? it happened to me once. i was watching The Fifth Element and when Bruce Willis lit the match i held my breath and gasped when they gasped when it almost extinguished. i immediately started laughing when i realized i did it. :rofl:
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • PublicEnemyPublicEnemy Joined: Posts: 123
    This is a bit late but the top 3 movies for me for 2012 were

1. Looper
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Dredd

I downloaded the screener of Zero Dark Thirty that leaked yesterday, watched an hour of it and was bored of it.
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    have you ever put yourself in the movie? it happened to me once. i was watching The Fifth Element and when Bruce Willis lit the match i held my breath and gasped when they gasped when it almost extinguished. i immediately started laughing when i realized i did it. :rofl:
    I mean, that's basically what slow-motion (the good kind!), or a movie soundtrack that isn't "really" playing in the movie, or other stuff is supposed to accomplish. You're only using your eyes and ears, so the director tries to simulate use of the other senses. I want to flash kick that guy in the jaw but I guess that's the intended reaction.
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    Shame was pretty good.....in a downer kind of way. How long til FassBender snags Oscar I wonder, he was amazing. Tracked down Steve McQueen's Hunger too. This guy doesn't flinch at putting troubling stuff on screen.:shake:

Premium Rush was okay.....exactly what I expected, short of a Kevin Bacon cameo.
    GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I saw Seven Samurai for the first time a few months ago. I'm aware it was groundbreaking for its time but I dont quite understand why its considered one of the greatest films ever made... I'll probably have the exact same sentiments after i've watched Citizen Kane, which i have no interest in seeing unless it just happens to be on when i'm flicking through tv channels.
    two movies that couldn't be more different. how did you watch seven samurai? 70mm? 35mm? Youtube while playing LoL? Like all truly great classic foreign movies, SS requires reflection, understanding, study, and repeat viewings to appreciate its power and craft, and to receive its full effect.

eh I dunno...TCM 2 is great and TCM 4 is an underrated gem
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,987
    Just saw Texas Chainsaw 3D. Pretty shitty movie but my goodness those 2 females look good, yum
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Having not seen DU yet, IB and JB are his smartest movies, if not his best in general. And it's one of the last times DeNiro put any effort into a movie role.

His ass used to be so beautiful
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636

I saw Catch Me If You Can on new years eve and this has to be the most underrated film i've ever seen. Its definitely one of Spielberg's best films if not the best film he's ever made imo.

I don't know about anyone else but for me Seven Samurai is in my top 10 favorite films for several reasons. The characterization of both the samurai and villagers is very deep, I really felt emotionally and psychologically invested in them and felt the social conflicts between them just had a lot of poignancy and weight. Because I felt so connected to the characters the big fight at the end felt important to me and the film did an amazing job making me give a shit about the good guys and root for them to win. The action scenes themselves are directed in such a fluid easy to follow but still exciting way even if they weren't the physical manifestation of idealistic conflicts I'd admire the craft that went into their placement and enjoy them on a purely visceral entertainment level. It marks the best fusion of drama and action that I've seen in any film. Kurosawa understand the bond between the two concepts and uses it not just to entertain but also to provide a meaningful experience for me as opposed purely escapist cinema. Also it's not the ugliest film to snack on.

And since when is a film with 96% on RT and 160 million gross considered underrated. great film, really funny, sad, and flat out entertaining. the French police bluffing scene was masterful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ZXjHJ.png
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Tarantino would approve, I think.
  • KneelB4MeKneelB4Me CVS2! Joined: Posts: 810
    Just saw The Impossible. I was on the fence. Good movie, depressing tho. The tsunami scene is just :( As you would expect. Very good acting, especially from the children in the movie. I was worried the film would lack tact, it didn't.
    I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them.
    More K less A
    Shaft my fellow fan of film language and cerebral analysis this is required reading just skip the synopsis, Rob Ager has met his match: http://facultyfiles.frostburg.edu/phil/forum/Fink.htm

Watched Barton Fink for the millionth time last night and it never ceases to peel back another layer of it's genius upon each viewing. The holocaust reenactment motifs are pretty easy to catch but underneath that what I never noticed before was the commentary on the "Jewish controlled Hollywood" myth through systematic oppression of gentiles, really brilliant subversive shit. Easily one of if not the richest and most rewarding of all films for fans of subliminal cinema communication. There is just so much depth to this film I could write at least a 50 page attempt to connect the countless dots. It's a minor tragedy that such a film which dwarfs all others in it's breadth of ideas is still so misunderstood and under appreciated by all but a very tiny handful of people. Even the Coen brothers to this day are unaware of everything they created in this masterpiece. They like many directors said they didn't intentionally intend to instill specific messages or ideas but instead simply followed wherever there artistic inspirations guided them, and they still don't fully understand how right they were.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    Watched that Jackie Chan movie, Chinese Zodiac. Pretty much came off like a live action Jackie Chan Adventures episode which is a good thing cause its a fun movie and seeing Chan able to still do the stunts is awesome.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,121
    That's the 3rd Armor of God movie. It's out? *Runs off to find.*
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    @OZ halfway through the analysis. really interesting so far. :tup:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! MIDNIGHT SHOWING :mad:.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    What a story. Oh hi Godzilla!
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    Watched Flight, great movie, I was rooting for Denzil's character the entire time, bit too heavy on the religion but that might be the norm state side.
    rip David Ellis...was always a fan
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    "80s-style" is a term that gets thrown around these days for absolutely no reason, but damn, Dredd was almost 100% authentic hard-R 80s action. Pleasantly surprised.

Never heard of David Ellis, but reading through his credits, I'm obviously a huge fan of his second unit work.
    Always sad to hear someone died but I wasn't a fan. Final Destination 2 Homeword Bound 2 and especially Cellular were garbage. Snakes on A Plane was okay though.

Saw The Dilemma last night, holy shit this one caught me by surprise. It has 5 fantastic performances Tatum, Connelly, Ryder, Vaughn, and James were were all on their A game. Also it has a lot of dark humor, 90's style Sandler humor, and pathos. That being said the uneven tone makes it kind of jarring when it suddenly switches from dumb low tier family guy style jokes to heartfelt catharsis to black comedy and no attempt to gel it together. The sloppy editing and confused beats are a problem but it doesn't make me forget the great material throughout it.

I really can't fathom how it was so universally panned by critics, I think most adults will enjoy the film. Libby you're married and you like comedy so I'm curious what your opinion is if you ever get around to seeing it which I recommend you do.

I would drink her bathwater.

#Million

jennifer-connelly-picture.jpg
    I actually saw it. I forget why, but my wife was watching it and for some reason I sat there too. I don't remember liking it though.
    i watched house of pleasures the other night on netflix and was awesomely surprised. a movie about a french brothel in the 1890s (i think?) with exquisite visuals and crazy happenings. there's some wild shit in it like a woman who cries jizz, panthers, prostitute special signatures, etc. it feels like it's being told with the brevity of heminway's style with what seems like a simple look into the lives of prostitutes and their patrons, but there are deep underlinings of commentary on the human condition. highly recommended, best movie i seen this year that wasnt released this year.

im outi

Roberth
    Sounds like something I'd dig for sure. Added to my list.
    So, what is the horror aficionado take on teh Evil Dead remake? I have been hearing surprisingly good things, though I have yet to watch the trailers. Thoughts? Concerns? I'm specifically talking to the people who have a foot deep in the horror genre.
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    Indifferent....Raimi and Robert Tapert's involvement has me less worried, but Evil Dead 2 is hard to top for sheer craziness.
    GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file