The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i watched Another Earth last night... more like Beautiful Yet Slightly Androgynous Faced Woman Keeps Ruining Everything: The Movie :rofl: i enjoyed it though @orochizoolander, definitely check it out if you haven't seen it. it's a drama with a sci-fi backdrop. really interesting.

watching Act of Valor right now and you can't stop me.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,799
    After almost a year since the movie was released on theaters i finally decided to give Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance a chance.
    I have to say that, even when is clear that is not the best super hero movie ever made, it was really an improvement over Ghost Rider.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    more people need to understand and appreciate Neveldine & Taylor's greatness.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    Didn't Another Earth come out around the same time as Melancholia? For some reason I associate those two films...

edit: The Tin Drum Criterion was released today.
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    Didn't Another Earth come out around the same time as Melancholia? For some reason I associate those two films...

Early 2011, easy to associate cuz of the giant planet in the sky thing. I liked Another Earth. Strange concept, equally strange ending.
    GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
    heh, there are more similarities to Melancholia than just that. one difference is there is a specific reason why Another Earth's character was so depressed. also it was interesting to see Tom Cruise's cousin play someone that wasn't a bad or creepy guy.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    I guess I'm shit out of luck if I want to discuss Zero Dark Thirty. Everywhere it gets brought up, all people want to talk about is torture instead of what they actually thought about the fucking movie.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,074
    I haven't seen it, sorry goody.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    Hurt Locker's inaccuracies turned me off to any more of Bigelow's 'topical' action thrillers.
    What bothered you about its inaccuracies? Minding, of course, that it is a work of fiction and is entitled to the benefit of artistic license.
    This isn't about a character surviving an un-survivable event, in the interest of style or simplification, or moving the story along. Basically all the main scenes in the movie were completely incorrect, distractingly so. For a while I thought I was nit-picking, but it's hard to empathize with the people the movie represents irl if all the events are portrayed wrong.

It's akin to the criticism of Crash 2005's depiction of race relations in LA (complete fantasy). The main message is still there, the technical aspects of the production are still there to analyze, but the events that are supposed to support the movie's message are just divorced from reality. Makes it hard to take a movie intended to realistically dramatize current events seriously.

EDIT: Or what Wikipedia says http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hurt_Locker#Reception
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,846
    I won't see ZDT for a very simple reason, it's not my kind of movie. I didn't see HL for the same reasons. I feel I've reached the point in my life where I can pretty accurately judge what my kind of movie is, and ZDT is not it. It's just not in my cinematic wheelhouse...
    I am horribly guilty of that very thing. I will just call a movie I don't like shitty. I will recant and admit latter on that the movie is not my kind of thing, but I do have a bad habit of making my opinion fact.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,846
    I tell this to people who are into movies like Moonrise Kingdom. I never criticizes the film. I just know that the type of film doesn't appeal to me but it does appeal to a lot of people. And then there's the people don't know the difference between something that is good/bad and something that just doesn't appeal to them.

Sounds like you are describing gamers
  • PterodactylPterodactyl drenched in sauce Joined: Posts: 7,227
    No one here watched gangster squad?
    spread'em
    I rewatched Inception. Some thoughts:

Sometimes, you see a movie that other people are raving about and you just don't get it. Inception was one of those for me back in its theatrical run.

When I first saw it, I thought the idea was cool, but the clunky implementation turned me off. The exposition was so dialogue-heavy that the characters often seemed to be narrating plot summary to one another for the audience's benefit. The various scenarios presented throughout the story were called dreams, but they bore little resemblance to actual dream logic. Plus, being a high-energy thriller, Inception's visually confusing action sequences were a poor choice. They were impossible to read from shot to shot.

I think those objections still hold up. And yet, when I rewatched Inception last night, I came away thinking that maybe I underrated it just a little bit, that maybe its good marks hold a little more weight.

It really is a cool idea, and if you ignore all the stuff about dreams and rethink the movie as a narrative about shared storytelling or shared fantasy, it starts to make more sense. When the film does get visually imaginative, the results are stunning and surreal, especially in the standout sequence with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the hotel. There are bits of foreshadowing that are more clever upon retrospect--entertainingly clever, not obnoxiously clever. And while the visual style falls apart from shot to shot, it does keep us oriented when transitioning between the nested worlds.

Even taking its flaws into account, Inception is well worth seeing. I've said it before: I'd rather see a movie whose reach exceeds its grasp than a movie that doesn't reach at all. Inception is similar to The Matrix in that regard. But while the Matrix explains itself and dramatizes its internal logic more cinematically, it doesn't pursue its ideas very far. The Matrix opts instead for a relatively conventional action narrative once the first act is over. Inception wrings an action-packed heist yarn from its ideas, but unlike with the Matrix, Inception's ideas retain their integral role in the film right up to the end. Take away the nested worlds and anthropomorphic anxieties, and the movie goes with them.

One thing I don't think I weighed in on before is the ending. I don't know that I have a strong opinion either way regarding the famous insoluble dilemma. All the same, I will suggest invoking the Tethercat Principle. To wit: we never see Dom wake up and we never see the top fall down.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    And while the visual style falls apart from shot to shot, it does keep us oriented when transitioning between the nested worlds.

I don't agree with most of what you said but I just wanted to point out the jarring change in visuals most notably color palette from dream to dream is intentional and serves a somewhat hidden narrative purpose. Inception is one of my favorites for many reasons, one of those reasons being that it displays the strengths of my favorite sub genre "mind fuck" films better than most if not all others I've seen. I'm a sucker for films that require the viewer to put some effort into fully appreciating them and Inception does require a good deal of note taking and multiple viewing to fully appreciate similar to Nolan's best work Memento.

The ending is awesome but everyone who focuses on that is akin to admiring the mona lisa for it's frame.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    I was just discussing Inception at lunch with a friend. Now he loves the movie. I am closer to GM in my opinion of the film. I think I may like it slightly better than him, but it's debatable. Anyways, GM's point about the Matrix is pretty apt because both movies did about the same thing to me. Blew me the fuck away in the theater then started to fall apart more on repeat viewings. However, I feel Inception will hold up better over time because it does not crutch itself purely on visual spectacles as Matrix did. Oddly, I liked Dark Knight better on my second viewing, though I still don't hold it in the regard that most do.
    I'm trying to think of another movie that was crazy enough to weave 5 different timelines together, like Inception's 'plane ride.' Drawing blanks. And it wasn't even half of the movie.
  • KillaFoxKillaFox I wish a nigga would on every candle. Joined: Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭✭ Junior OG
    ^ cloud atlas. movie of the year.
    I'm trying to think of another movie that was crazy enough to weave 5 different timelines together, like Inception's 'plane ride.' Drawing blanks. And it wasn't even half of the movie.
    Inglourious Basterds dives in and out of nested narratives with multiple layers, but it does it so casually that people rarely talk about it.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    no comments on the gang squad?
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    Watched Zero Dark Thirty, it's great film. I thought it was going to be one of those movies told in a documentary format but it's not.
    Regarding the much talked about torture scenes, it's all been rather hyped up. I suppose they could have showed some of the less exciting avenues taken instead of opening the movie with a torture scene, I certainly didn't walk away thinking hurray for torture but I see why some say the less informed could believe it's the sole reason why we got Bin Laden.

Scott Adkins makes an appearance but no terrorists were punched or kicked in the head :shake:

Great performances, it's a long film but the pacing is great, some great humour thrown in there as well and the final act is intense *spoiler warning* they kill Bin Laden.

Chastain will win an Oscar for this, and Begelow should direct Metal Gear Solid the movie.
    I was just discussing Inception at lunch with a friend. Now he loves the movie. I am closer to GM in my opinion of the film. I think I may like it slightly better than him, but it's debatable.
    To be clear, the rewatch upgraded my opinion from "flawed and didn't really like it" to "flawed and liked it enough to think on it a good deal". I'd say that's real praise.
    Legitimately crummy movies don't improve with a second viewing.

Christopher Nolan's heart is in the right place. He's not my bag in terms of craftsmanship, but he's an ambitious guy and he seems like he'd be awesome to get hammered with and talk about mindfuckery.
  • SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    How about no MGS movie, period?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I just wanna fuck the FUCK out of jodie foster :eek: and make her straight :love:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

No. Her style is too dry for MGS.

Well, she got Keenu Reeves to actually act. I like her direction, everyone else seems to be making movies that have to have these giant spectacles, her movies aren't pretentious either.
    heh, there are more similarities to Melancholia than just that. one difference is there is a specific reason why Another Earth's character was so depressed. also it was interesting to see Tom Cruise's cousin play someone that wasn't a bad or creepy guy.

Yeah, it was different turn for him, I forgot he was Ethan in Lost.....living in a doghouse, kidnapping Charlie and Claire and all that.....
    Well, she got Keenu Reeves to actually act. I like her direction, everyone else seems to be making movies that have to have these giant spectacles, her movies aren't pretentious either.

Near Dark is still great, glad they killed the remake. Strange Days was fun too.
    That's why I said her style doesn't fit with MGS. She could easily do something like Splinter Cell which much more grounded. But MGS is some grandiose shit.

:rofl: @ this nigga bringing up Point Break. Anyone could have done that shit better. Keanu has always been trash.

Nah man, credit where credit is due lol

Haven't played Splinter Cell :sad:
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I watched Karate Kid part 2 a lot when I was young, but I never really thought about how it's actually a really well done sequel. It's a completely new story that's not a re-tread of the first film, it's set in a completely new location with all new supporting characters, the location is beautifully shot, the villains are complex and interesting (much more than in the first one..."I was wrong, HATE is wrong...") and the call backs to the first film are done in cool ways (Daniel trying to do the crane kick and getting stuffed is an all-time classic film moment). Lots of good emotion throughout the movie. Honestly it's probably a better film than the first one. Oh and it's got the great opening scene that takes place right after the first movie ends...I love those things!

Now part 3 is just hilarious(ly bad) and is the standard retread formula that most sequels are.
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    Finally saw Django. My top movies of the year:

1. Dredd
    2. Argo
    3. Django Unchained
    4. Moonrise Kingdom
    5. Cabin in the Woods
    6. The Grey
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

sorry Idris didn't get the lead so you could love it. test.gif

“A man and woman are drawn together, entangled in the lifecycle of an ageless organism. Identity becomes an illusion as they struggle to assemble the loose fragments of wrecked lives.”

i am ready. >:(
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Looks awesome!
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What's the verdict on The Hobbit?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Oh yeah, the Hobbit came out. It was okay, Freeman was good as Bilbo, but just kinda routine after the LOTR Trilogy. The magic was kinda lost the second time around.....

Dredd was okay. Better than the Stallone version, closer to the comic, but still kinda dry. Shoulda let Lena Headey go crazier.
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    cb4b69eb9bd10da82c15dca2f86a1385.jpg

got dang vampires
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,713 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    cylons-everywhere.png
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights