The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    edited June 10
    So
    maxx wrote: »
    .....who the fuck is goin to these movies?

so I was talking to this Indian broad and she wanted to show me this movie trailer for this recent big budget Indian film. Shewas explaining to me how the throw confetti and celebrate while watching the film. She also went on how when they have more "epics", some of these dudes bring fucking weeding styled cakes and cut them when the actors get married. Or start doing some kung fu shit in fight scences........................

This just made what I imagined fucking worse, given how they spend 25+$ per ticket. Superpower by 2025 btw
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,468
    Wonder Woman was legit. I knew going in that I was probably going to have fun, but I didn't expect it to be as fun as it was. As in, I haven't had this much fun at a movie in about a year and a half. It's a refreshingly simple, well-constructed superhero movie. Gal Gadot crushes it in the title role. The effects are fantastic and the cinematography and choreography are polished to a mirror shine. It's not perfect by any stretch (the villains are unimpressive), and it's not going to change the face of filmmaking, but I feel like it's okay for a movie to just be really, really fun. If I were a little girl in 2017, this movie would blow my fucking mind.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

So Sony made a remake of "Flatliners"..................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,090
    Wasnt that great the first time around, Hollywood really outta ideas?
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    crucades wrote: »
    Wasnt that great the first time around, Hollywood really outta ideas?

pretty much
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Late movie review:

Hey, everybody. Turns out Alien (1979) was good.

Growing up in the 90s I was more familiar with Aliens (1986), since it was on TV more often. There are a couple of iconic scenes in OG Alien (double mouth, labia egg, chest burster), but I never saw the original movie.

It's pretty good, you guys. Slow burn, but it's like heading up a roller coaster. I've realized every FPS game is based on the first-person camera shots through the hallways. Also, I knew about what happened with the Ian Holm character because they talked about it in the sequel (RIP Bishop, never forget), but I really must have seemed to come out of nowhere at the time. Like "oh, we're also doing that in this movie?"
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    best slow burn horror ive seen recently is "the blackcoat's daughter" and "i am the pretty thing that lives in the house" (available on netflix) both which are by the same director. i'd wish this dude would direct a legit alien movie.

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Saw World War Z............thought it was okay.
    Not sure why some people called it an "intelligent zombie movie".

Still.......
    What was the point of Tommy?
    I was wondering how he survived when his parents were turned. He became like an afterthought after Gerry left for his mission.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,666
    edited June 23
    A solid breakdown of the use of "The Protagonist Throw"

PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    People say this is an intelligent zombie movie? The fuck

Mother fuckers need to watch shaun of the dead for an intelligent zombie movie

Shaun of the dead is too smart for mere mortals. The point would just go over their heads since they don't have reflexes as good as Drax.

Motherfuckers need to watch 28 Days Later for an intelligent zombie movie
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    tataa8P wrote: »
    amazing movie, but it's not a zombie movie
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeee....28dl is "crazy-ass niggas" movie. Wouldn't say zombie. Good shit tho.
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

check out a movie on amazon prime called Handgun
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Life was a pretty lame alien movie tbh. Half assed acting from Ryan Reynolds and Gyllenhall. The alien wasnt scary and at times poorly animated and textured. I liked how they chose to end it but by then I was already bored.

^ I thought it was good. Ye cgi was kinda bad at times but still good movie.

I liked passengers too. it had a different angle. much better than expected.

• SuicidalGrandpaSuicidalGrandpa Undeniably Free in 3S Joined: Posts: 3,453

I mean, it basically is if you loosen the requirements a bit from strict Romero standards.
    Saw World War Z............thought it was okay.
    Not sure why some people called it an "intelligent zombie movie".

Still.......
    What was the point of Tommy?
    I was wondering how he survived when his parents were turned. He became like an afterthought after Gerry left for his mission.

Always wished they'd done WWZ as a miniseries instead of a movie. The structure of the novel would lend itself to more of a long-form medium.
    PSN: SGsrk
    SFV ID: BOOTYSWEAT69
  • VagrantLestVagrantLest Joined: Posts: 784
    P. Gorath wrote: »

Watched this on your recommendation. Went in blind assuming it was zombie related or something based on what you were responding to... then I realized what you really meant.

Very surprised that a movie from this time was depicting that version of that scenario. Decent movie overall.
    "even I asked a girl out once

kekeke"

- Mechanica
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    P. Gorath wrote: »

sup, P! you working on any projects lately?

have you heard anything else about the Martyrs remake?

I mean, it basically is if you loosen the requirements a bit from strict Romero standards.

zombies are reanimated dead people. 28 Days Later were living infected people.

28 Days Later is one of my favorite movies though. even bought the soundtrack
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • SuicidalGrandpaSuicidalGrandpa Undeniably Free in 3S Joined: Posts: 3,453
    edited June 25
    zombies are reanimated dead people. 28 Days Later were living infected people.

28 Days Later is one of my favorite movies though. even bought the soundtrack

Mine too! Not sure how I feel about the sequel though, even if it has Jeremy Renner.

To your point, I think Boyle even said at some point that he didn't consider it to be a zombie movie. I just mean that they tick most of the same boxes, and the feeling of the film is incredibly similar to most zombie flicks.
    Post edited by SuicidalGrandpa on
    PSN: SGsrk
    SFV ID: BOOTYSWEAT69
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    edited June 25
    (Yeah, the "zombies" in 28 Days Later are living people essentially infected with super rabies, so they're actually still alive, which is part of the reason they're so fast but easier to kill than an "actual" zombie.

While they are effectively the same as zombies for the purposes of the movie and I guess the genre, the fact that 28 Weeks Later doesn't make same distinction is just one of the many reasons why 28 Days Later is so good yet 28 Weeks Later is such a piece of garbage.)

Sigh. I keep putting off posting in here the few times that I've actually been around as of late. For the past seven months that I haven't been around, all I've basically been doing is watching movies, though mostly at home. The only movies that I've watched in theaters since the last time I posted in here have been, in order, Arrival and Moonlight at the end of last year and then Get Out and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 about a month and a half ago. I was slated to see Wonder Woman as well, but that ended up falling through. Oh well.

Beyond that, I've been mostly been watching a bunch of old movies and foreign films otherwise, in part because a lot of what I've been watching has been through TCM, which is basically the only channel I watch that isn't (non-24/7) news-related or Adult Swim related. Everything else has been rented, like Amour, which is the (sad) movie that I currently have as my avatar. I need to make a list of all the stuff I've watched since last time in case anything really sticks out since I'm pretty sure I've watched close to 100 things, but that will take a while.

All I know is that the last movie I watched in full was on Thursday and was the rather slow and bizarre Reflections in a Golden Eye, which was apparently Robert Forster's first movie of things, which only made things weirder when he showed up completely naked in no less than three scenes in it; incidentally, that guy has aged really well in the past fifty years. I'm honestly still not sure what I think about that movie as of yet, in part because Marlon Brando's southern "accent" was nigh incomprehensible a lot of the time, to point where I had to turn on subtitles at parts--always a good sign.

looks great

Damn. This does look really good or, at the very least, really darkly hilarious, sort of like The Lobster but on the exact opposite end of the emotive scale.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,850
    No surprise, but It is officially rated R.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,641
    SNAAAAKE wrote: »

I liked passengers too. it had a different angle. much better than expected.

Same, I don't understand the hate that movie got
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yep i agree... more gritty taken/gran torino style of films please.
    This nigga just confuse Jacky Chan with Clint Eastwood?

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    crucades wrote: »
    This nigga just confuse Jacky Chan with Clint Eastwood?

no he said style of films. grittier stuff for jackie.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    (*tries to picture someone being legitimately unable to tell Clint Eastwood and Jackie Chan apart*

*tries to remember what the condition where people literally can't tell people's faces apart is named*)

So Kermode, whom I have been checking out more since his videos got posted in the Alien: Covenant thread about a month ago, succinctly explains why Book of Henry is getting panned so hard despite the fact that he himself thinks people are going a bit too hard on it. I mean, I was a bit mystified of why it seemed to be getting such bad reviews compared with the trailer I saw on TV, which both just helps confirm that trailers always lie as all knew and that tone can be difficult to get across in trailers. It might be one of the few movies where reviews & scores talked me out of something that I might have wanted to see, though I didn't want to see it more than My Cousin Rachel or Baby Driver or even The Beguiled remake anyway if I went out to see a movie right now:

Apparently its issues are both a too jarring mishmash of quirky and serious issues, with the "quirky" tone winning out even when it shouldn't, and probably being as blatantly emotional manipulative as I Am Sam on top of the seemingly alienating premise caused by the former. In other words, the words of Tropic Thunder specifically, it appears to have gone "full retard". It's rather hilarious to see Collateral Beauty mentioned as having the same problem among the examples, especially since I never bothered to see how it did; it's always nice to see a Scientologist fail, but I digress.

Still, it does seem a bit hard to believe that it is apparently currently set up to sweep the Razzies in a year where not only a Resident Evil movie came out, but so did a Transformers movies, an Underworld movie, and what's effectively another Twilight spin-off movie. It seems almost literally impossible for Book of Henry to be bad enough to do that unless it is just utterly tasteless when it comes to dealing its serious subject matter.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Damned,

It's called prosopagnosia.

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    (Ah, yeah, that's the name. It makes sense that it's some form of agnosia. I just couldn't remember what it was actually called. Thanks.)

Actually on topic for the thread, I forgot to say that I watched The Lego Batman Movie this weekend. I haven't seen The Lego Movie that it is technically a sequel of, but for the most part I enjoyed it even if I didn't laugh out loud as much as it seemed like other people did. Still, I did find it humorous enough overall.

Speaking of a lack of humor, it's a rather sad indictment that aside from Wonder Woman, The Lego Batman Movie was (far) better than basically all of the recent DC movies since The Dark Knight. It's a shame that Justice League looks like it's going to readily continue that trend.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,441

So this trailer just released and...

Why are they calling it jumanji? Outside of the name there doesnt seem to be any relation to the original. It doesnt make sense

Movie looks bad tho and probably generic action movie. We'll wait and see though
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,142
    Watched Baby Driver last night. Overall pretty dope.

When it started, I thought it was going to be another movie trying to implement music into it's narrative and it wasn't going to work. Early in the movie it came off real gimmicky, but got much better as it went on.

Really, really solid movie. Not sorry I saw it in theaters.
    (Ugh. I can't even bring myself to watch the Death Note trailer, at least right now. Tell me again why they're making this our Lord and Savior Zac Efron is not playing Light when he looks exactly like him and can act at least somewhat decently?)

That's quite good to hear about Baby Driver. It's a shame that it isn't opening anywhere near me apparently or, at least, not as the theater nearest to me. It's within "walking" distance, in the sense that I don't mind walking two cities over to see it rather than going to a potentially still ghetto theater to see it that's actually within the city. Not going to pay $8+ dollars just to have other people ruin the experience.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

So this trailer just released and...

Why are they calling it jumanji? Outside of the name there doesnt seem to be any relation to the original. It doesnt make sense

Movie looks bad tho and probably generic action movie. We'll wait and see though

That is only sentence in Rock's resume.
    He was pretty good in Baywatch lol but yea generally a terrible actor.

He was also in Moana, which was at least decent, but presumably that wouldn't count in this sense given it wasn't live-action. Not that voice acting doesn't take skill; it's just that it's a different type of skill than live-action acting.

Regardless, it's not like too surprising. Most of the "wrestlers turned conventional actors" have been relatively terrible actors.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    All except one.
    Rowdy-Roddy-Piper-They-Live.jpg

(Yeah, the guy from They Live was one of the three exceptions I was thinking of. I'm not sure if he was ever in anything else, but it's not like he needed to be.)

Beyond that, I would say that Jesse Ventura acted decently enough to be another exception. The third exception to me is technically beyond the scope of this thread since I would be counting the wrestler formerly known as Prince Edge's performance in the TV show Haven.

Pretty much every other wrestler turned actor I can think of, including The Rock, has been a mediocre-at-best actual actor and often far, far worse. Still, to be fair to The Rock, I suppose he's the least worst of that lowly bunch. [/high praise]

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    edited July 1
    I like The Rock. Hes fun to watch and has great charisma. Reminds me of the good old Arnold/Stalone days.
    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Baby driver is godlike. I need more of it.
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 521
    edited July 1
    You guys weren't lying, Baby Driver was great.
    Heel Jamie Foxx was great, especially his pre-robbery speeches.

I know Marines are crazy but damn that guy went the extra to stop the second robbery.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,641
    edited July 1
    All the reviews I've heard for Baby Driver have been overwhelmingly positive. My co-worker was so pleased to see him driving a Subaru, but then he noticed it was a automatic in the trailer so he isn't watching it any more :rofl:

There's a showing in an hour, I'm gonna go
    All the reviews I've heard for Baby Driver have been overwhelmingly positive. My co-worker was so pleased to see him driving a Subaru, but then he noticed it was a automatic in the trailer so he isn't watching it any more :rofl:

Your co-worker is dumb

The most fun anyone will have at a movie this year.
    edited July 1

Your co-worker is dumb

The most fun anyone will have at a movie this year.

jokes

Saw it, did I get tricked into seeing a musical?? It's a great movie. Dialog between Baby and Deb seemed bizarre at times, like who talks like that? I'm guessing a large portion of the conversion during their first meeting got cut. The last 3rd of the movie was intense but I was saying to myself at times, "why did you do that, this situation wouldn't have escalated further if you hadn't done that.."

(I think I have literally never been happier to see a pointless 3D release of something rather than another movie in that same, now-sad series. Terminator might literally be the most tainted franchise at this point given I can't picture making another good film in that franchise unfortunately.)

So, I watched At Any Price today, a dramatic movie with our aforementioned Lord and Savior Zac Efron that Dennis Quaid himself described as essentially Death of a Salesman focused on modern-day farmers and farming. I have to admit my surprise that despite ultimately viewing the protagonists as unsympathetic, especially given something that Zac Efron's character does in the later half of the movie, I don't think that overall brought down the movie as it usually does as is the case for movies like Twister or Frozen (2009, not Disney) or Jurassic Park II. Ultimately the movie was ho-hum and decent, though it did at least remind me how fucked-up modern crops actually are given GMO and the lack of seed diversity. Sigh. Like humanity needed to be anymore doomed than it already is.

Anyway, speaking of Zac Efron still, apparently he was in a running for an American version of Death Note years ago, but turned it down because he didn't want the series to get whitewashed. My respect for him has thus at least doubled in size today even if it was ultimately a futile move unfortunately.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 3
    dn0s wrote: »
    You guys weren't lying, Baby Driver was great.
    Heel Jamie Foxx was great, especially his pre-robbery speeches.

I know Marines are crazy but damn that guy went the extra to stop the second robbery.

shout outs to brown captain america.

Just came back from seeing baby driver...that third act...good gawd. hamm is the terminator, cant keep him down lol. That third act grabbed me and never let me go.

one small minor thing that bugged me...
    why does this nigga know parkour lol. i dunno seemed random as fuck, i guess it helps boosting cars. just came out of the fuckin blue. Like he always seems to be working or helping his adoptive/step dad, so he doesnt come off as someone who has time to practice.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    edited July 4
    Alien covenant got the dumbest scientists ever.

Alright movie guess..
    Post edited by SNAAAAKE on