The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I imagined that he had to run from the cops a lot.

LOL totally forgot the bosses little nephew :rofl:

lol why did he have a psp doe? lmfao i woulda been suspect of that kid the min i saw that shit
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    edited July 3
    (I may see Baby Driver tomorrow with only friend I have in the area. Too bad he tends only ever get back to me at the last minute, meaning I won't know until tonight. Either way, while I want the movie to succeed, I simultaneously hope it's not crowded. I hate crowds.)

Whoops. I had meant to link to the IMDb page for At Any Price in the last page. Too lazy to go back and edit that in.

Anyway, Saturday night/Sunday morning I happened to catch The Bad Seed coming on TCM and randomly decided to watch that. Glad I did given it still mostly holds up well as a movie, even if the ending was bullshit, though that's not the original script's fault; it was the Hays Code and its stupidity--fucking McCarthyism. Even with that forced happy ending, the movie doesn't fall apart retroactively or anything, so I'd say to give it a watch if you're interested in older horror movies that aren't dragged down by hokey effects, especially movies that let child be evil rather than uniformly good.

This reminds me that I should bump the horror movie thread...eventually.

SNAAAAKE wrote: »
    Alien covenant got the dumbest scientists ever.

Alright movi guess..

Hey, they had to at least keep something from Prometheus while otherwise completely invalidating that also stupid movie.

Sigh. The Alien franchise is such a sad one nowadays, almost as bad as Terminator. Who would have thought that Alien Resurrection of all things would have been the last decent movie?
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    Naw id say Aliens is worse off. At least Terminator sequels are fun popcorn flicks.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,656 mod
    edited July 4
    Perhaps, though it's not like I heard anything good about Genisys, even on SRK with its often horrible taste in movies. Similarly, I still think that Terminator is the more screwed franchise overall just because it's harder to reboot it given the myriad, inconsistent way its time travel has (not) worked. Hell, Genisys essentially was a reboot and we all know how horribly that bombed.

Comparatively, when it comes to the recent Alien films, both Alien vs. Predator movies were likely always intended to be non-canon (or at least were super easy to deny being canon) and both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are still divorced from the original Alien series that they're maybe prequels of until someone named Ellen Ripley shows up or at least gets mentioned, especially with their contradictions both within themselves and to the universe at large. So even those latter two can be written off as an alternate universe where everyone is apparently a blithering idiot, even if you have to invoke Death of the Author with them.

Both franchises are in far worse shape than they should be though.
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,441
    Prometheus and Aliens: Covenant are much better movies than anything terminator 3 and newer.

That's more to say how bad the newer terminstors are tho than the new aliens movies actually being good
    (Fuck. I always incorrectly spell Genisys's stupidly spelled name, in part because I forget it does still have an "i", just not where it should be. I have edited my last post to correct the title.)

So...I incidentally watched that trailer for Netflix's version of Death Note and I really do not have very high hopes for it even after watching Mother's Basement's apparently latest video about it. I'm not inclined to just entirely write off as of yet, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was bad. Only things that I can say about it are that Willem Dafoe is indeed excellent (voice) casting and every time I the movie version of L I can't help but think that someone took that Samuel L. Jackson joke a bit too seriously. [/that's racist]

In the meantime, I will just leave both of these here:

Prometheus and Aliens: Covenant are much better movies than anything terminator 3 and newer.

That's more to say how bad the newer terminstors are tho than the new aliens movies actually being good

While we could definitely argue about this, for the most part I will only say that I agree that regardless of the conclusion we could (or could not) reach, we would still be at best damning both franchises with the only faint praise they unfortunately barely deserve nowadays and that I agree that both Terminator 3 and (what I've heard of) Genisys were fucking horrible.

That said, I actually think that Terminator Salvation was "much better" than Prometheus or (what I know of) Alien: Covenant. It's just that Terminator Salvation didn't do anything with what it created in-movie, sort of like Prometheus (and Alien: Covenant with regards to Prometheus apparently), but without literally everyone in the movie being blithering idiots with inconsistent characterization (like in Prometheus...and Alien: Covenant). Given I keep bringing it up, now that I think about it, I suppose we could still get a good Terminator movie that takes place during the actual future rebellion, which means it would technically be a reboot of what Salvation failed to show/utilize, but even that I doubt.

Finally, I'm assuming that we're leaving Terminator: The Sarah Chronicles out of this discussion when you say "anything terminator [sic] 3 or newer". If not....

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Baby Driver was aight, wasn't really feeling it.

Alien = Terminator > Predator > Aliens > T2 >>>>Alien3>Prometheus>Alien4>Predator2>Terminator4>Predators>Terminator3>AvP2>AvP>Terminator Genysis
    (If it wasn't for having noticed that you've apparently been back for at least a couple of months when I was gone, then I would say that I was seeing a ghost right now, P. Gorath.)

I have to agree with crucades here, especially on Predator 2 somehow being worse than Prometheus. I'm not going to say that Predator 2 wasn't a weird concept with somewhat wonky execution at times. It is definitely. Similarly, however, it is definitely better than a movie that only has pretty visuals going for it and literally nothing else like Prometheus, especially since Predator 2 at least tried to do something actually different while Prometheus just asked the same pretentious, seemingly lofty questions that are actually just as empty as the heads of its characters that populate its pretty, artificial set-piece.

So I did indeed see Baby Driver on the 4th of July with the aforementioned friend. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was thought I was going to, especially since I normally don't care about anything car-related. It was especially weird since it was more of a serious movie than I expected as well compared to Edgar Wright's other affairs as well as being more romantically focused than I expected. Still, I think the romance aspect actually worked well unlike in the majority of the media where the main couple(s) are just kind of shoved together with no development or chemistry or otherwise likable traits and still take up loads and loads of screen-time despite that; it helps that girl playing Debora was rather cute.

I wouldn't mind watching more movies like it. Too bad I can't think of any. [/in before Fast and Furious joke]

- P. G. Wodehouse
    The Damned wrote: »
    (If it wasn't for having noticed that you've apparently been back for at least a couple of months when I was gone, then I would say that I was seeing a ghost right now, P. Gorath.)

I have to agree with crucades here, especially on Predator 2 somehow being worse than Prometheus. I'm not going to say that Predator 2 wasn't a weird concept with somewhat wonky execution at times. It is definitely. Similarly, however, it is definitely better than a movie that only has pretty visuals going for it and literally nothing else like Prometheus, especially since Predator 2 at least tried to do something actually different while Prometheus just asked the same pretentious, seemingly lofty questions that are actually just as empty as the heads of its characters that populate its pretty, artificial set-piece.

So I did indeed see Baby Driver on the 4th of July with the aforementioned friend. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was thought I was going to, especially since I normally don't care about anything car-related. It was especially weird since it was more of a serious movie than I expected as well compared to Edgar Wright's other affairs as well as being more romantically focused than I expected. Still, I think the romance aspect actually worked well unlike in the majority of the media where the main couple(s) are just kind of shoved together with no development or chemistry or otherwise likable traits and still take up loads and loads of screen-time despite that; it helps that girl playing Debora was rather cute.

I wouldn't mind watching more movies like it. Too bad I can't think of any. [/in before Fast and Furious joke]

Most of edgar Wright's movies have good romance stories in them whether a budding relationship or bromanship
    edited July 7
    (Did you really need to quote that when I'm literally right above you? Just devil-summon me next time please.)

Sigh. I know, @Mood4food77, given I've seen at least four of his other movies. It's just that Baby Driver is currently the only one I can think I can think of where the relationship in question is actual unabashed romance, even as much as people might want to read into Hot Fuzz's presumably platonic relationship--somewhat understandably, to be fair--or Shaun of the Dead's codependent friendship between the two main characters.

Regardless, I was just saying that compared to the majority of other movies where I find romantic relationships being focused on becoming detrimental instances where the story gets bogged down, often by flat characters even when romance is literally the point of the movie, that Baby Driver doesn't fall into that same trap where it very easily could have. Also surprised myself by finding I thought the couple worked well and "looked cute" together on top that when I normally don't give a damn about that type of thing.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Didn't Edger Wright also direct Scott Pilgrim?

I guess you cant really credit him with that romance tho now that I think about it.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes he did. But Michael Cera sucked balls on that.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    I thought he was fine. Not who I would have cast but sucks balls isn't how I would put it either. Serviceable.
    edited July 8
    tataa8P wrote: »

he didnt suck, scott pilgrim is a shit character when it comes to romance. honestly they really toned down how much of a shitty person and asshole he is in comics. also ignore the fact hes basically a pedophile when dealing with knives lol.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    maxx wrote: »

he didnt suck, scott pilgrim is a shit character when it comes to romance. honestly they really toned down how much of a shitty person and asshole he is in comics. also ignore the fact hes basically a pedophile when dealing with knives lol.

I think that's it. Maybe Edgar Wright was trying to direct Cera in a way that would make Scott Pilgrim come across as somewhat redeemable when he really isn't.

Plus, I only watched it cuz of yummy Mary Elizabeth Winstead being in the movie.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Which makes Cera cast as Scott almost kismet.

Loved the movie..........still don't like Cera.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    (Meh. Michael Cera is fine. I wouldn't say that he's a stellar actor or anything, but there are definitely worse male actors, especially ones that have more star power for whatever reason (read: because they have more fuckability).)

So, I just watched The Fearless Vampire Killers, or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck despite not being in the mood for comedy, even a dark comedy and especially a parodic comedy of errors, solely because it has to be returned today and I figured that since I technically paid for it, I should at least give it a watch even if these weren't the circumstances I wanted. It was decent; despite my current mood, I would hardly say it was bad, like, say, Adam Sandler's lazy modern brand of "comedy" or SNL's brand of "comedy". I did like the music though.

Still, I imagine I would have liked it more had a) I watched (more) Hammer horror films before watching it and b) had not I been spoiled, through my own fault, to how it ended via TVTropes a year or so ago, though that is how I learned of the film in the first place. Additionally, TVTropes was indeed correct about said ending becoming somewhat brutally unfunny given what happened to Sharon Tate in real life only two years later. Yikes.

That said, I must admit that I was surprised at how at all but explicitly gay they depicted Herbert, the count's son, what with his seductive hitting on Alfred (played by Roman Polanski himself) from as soon as he is introduced. Then again, given that he was a villain, that's pretty much the only way they could probably get away with it in the 1960s. Though that does remind me that the original The Haunting did manage to get away with basically making Theo all but explicitly lesbian despite her not being a villain and that movie being made four years earlier. Hmmm...it's probably just the same double standards of "girl on girl is hot" that still endures nowadays.

P.S. While I'm on this topic, I must also admit that I am still surprised at how gay the remake of The Magnificent Seven could easily be interpreted to be rather legitimately between Ethan Hawke and the Korean guy being all but explicitly boyfriends and the Mexican guy seeming like he was flirting in Spanish with Chris Pratt's character half of the time he spoke.

- P. G. Wodehouse

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    (Are you honestly surprised they're making a Dumbo movie given they're already making an unnecessary live-action Lion King movie and already made an unnecessary live-action Jungle Book? Like...really? The only surprising thing is that it didn't get announced earlier. I do wonder how they're going to handle Jim (the) Crow though....)

This reminds me, given I hadn't wanted to double post anyway, that I was somewhat depressed to be reminded when walking around all day on Monday that a) The Emoji Movie exists at all and b) that it's out so soon on top of that. As if we didn't already have enough signs that they were running out of movie ideas. I wonder how horribly it will bomb, especially given I hadn't seen any ads or trailers for it before Monday; I still haven't seen any trailers for it and I really don't care to do so.

Beyond that, I haven't watched anything since I posted last time. I'm tempted to watch A Dog's Purpose just because I rented it for my mother and sister, but I don't really want to since I don't really care for dogs or being emotionally manipulated, so I ultimately probably won't.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    edited July 15
    No..............I was surprised that it's being directed by Tim Burton.

At the end of the day though...............I shouldn't be.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,850
    Jungle Book was pretty good.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017

Teaser for "A Wrinkle in Time"...........
    Directed by Ava DuVernay from a screenplay by Jennifer Lee based upon the beloved novel by Madeleine L’Engle, “A Wrinkle in Time” is produced by Jim Whitaker and Catherine Hand with Doug Merrifield serving as executive producer. The film stars: Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peňa, Levi Miller, Deric McCabe, André Holland, Rowan Blanchard with Zach Galifianakis and Chris Pine and introduces Storm Reid.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    I'm not disputing that. I couldn't say one way or the other given I haven't bothered to watch it given I am, again, not at all interested in it.

All I was saying is that I find it an unnecessary remake, especially since it's by the exact company and presumably thus tells the exact same story with relatively little deviation as it is forced to keep the same "family friendly" restrictions to maximize profit and keep with the Disney company's image. I don't necessarily have anything against remakes in and of themselves, but just remaking things into live-action versions always just seem like dumb, blatant cash grabs to me even in the instances where things do happen to turn out to be "good".

No..............I was surprised that it's being directed by Tim Burton.

At the end of the day though...............I shouldn't be.

Ah, I see.

In before live-action Nightmare Before Christmas, starring Jennifer Lawrence as Sally. [/emetic]

- P. G. Wodehouse
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Jungle Book was pretty good.

It's the standard for these live remakes.....which isnt set very high but it was a decent movie nonetheless

I'll be okay with these if disney starts making new movies, like new original ideas, etc. These make bank so they'll have money to spend
    edited July 16
    (Oh, I keep forgetting to ask: Did you ever get around to watching Nocturnal Animals, @Shaft Agent? I don't remember seeing anything when I caught up, but I might have well just skimmed over you saying you did. I still have yet to watch it myself.)

Ha. Disney has never really had an "original idea", at least when it comes to their big non-Pixar movies which are mostly based on old fairy tales that they water way the fuck down to maximize profit. Only two big productions that I think would verge on original recently were Brave and Moana, both of which are on lower end of popularity.

Actually, wait. Brave was Pixar, wasn't it? So only Moana (maybe) counts there since even Frozen doesn't. Geez.

*excision*

Teaser for "A Wrinkle in Time"...........
    Directed by Ava DuVernay from a screenplay by Jennifer Lee based upon the beloved novel by Madeleine L’Engle, “A Wrinkle in Time” is produced by Jim Whitaker and Catherine Hand with Doug Merrifield serving as executive producer. The film stars: Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peňa, Levi Miller, Deric McCabe, André Holland, Rowan Blanchard with Zach Galifianakis and Chris Pine and introduces Storm Reid.

Huh. I didn't even see you posted this when I posted my second-to-last reply. It looks interesting, if mostly for Oprah looking she's a main character. Granted, I guess she's been back acting in a couple of movies since like Selma or something, but she looks pretty central here. It's probably just trailers lying though.

I'm not sure what I think about it otherwise, well, besides finding that cover of Eurhythmics's "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" sub-par. Hardly the worst cover I've ever heard though, especially when it comes to ones used in movie trailers.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,850
    Isn't Fantasia an original Disney idea?
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited July 17
    (So not that anyone cares, but I have indeed decided not to bother watching A Dog's Purpose. Honestly still somewhat tempted, but I think I'll just ultimately pass.)

I'm pretty sure the only original aspects of Fantasia were the mishmash of vignettes/segments and maybe the "Sorcerer Apprentice" segment. Everything else, at least that I remember right now, is based on a song and/or mythology and probably also earlier plays or operas as well given the musical nature of the movie. I mean, it's not like Chernobog is an original character or anything.

Besides, even if the answer was "yes", then Fantasia would still be over 50 years ago and thus hardly recent, even with the re-release in the 2000s.

It's not like I have a problem with people reinterpreting or straight-up co-opting mythology or fairy tales for the most part. That would be, among other things, hypocritical given at least a couple of things that I am working on at present. I just find these live-action remakes relatively unnecessary for various reasons I've already explained, especially in cases like Jungle Book or Lion King or Dumbo where they will technically be most still animated anyway because of all the CGI needed to make it "believable".

Oh well. To me, Disney will only have truly gone "full retard" when they announce that they're remaking a live-action version of Pocahontas, which they probably won't because other, better live-action movies about her already exist like The New World and even the animated version was middling at best. It's also unlikely because America straight-up does not give a fuck about Native American people, even as bad guys anymore now that westerns are mostly dead and now that Arabic terrorists are the new "Indians" in the modern equivalent of the "Cowboys and Indians" narrative.

All that said, I will admit that it would be nice to see a well-done live-action version of Mulan I guess, but we'll probably also never see that any time soon either since Hollywood absolutely fucking hates giving major roles to Asian people with relatively few exceptions outside of pigeonholing them into "petite, exotic female love interest". I guess that could still maybe work if they bullshitted Shen into being a white guy though.

*looks at upcoming Death Note movie on Netflix and pictures Mulan taking place in (ancient) Seattle*
    Post edited by The Damned on

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    (Oh, I keep forgetting to ask: Did you ever get around to watching Nocturnal Animals, @Shaft Agent? I don't remember seeing anything when I caught up, but I might have well just skimmed over you saying you did. I still have yet to watch it myself.)

yeah, i really enjoyed it. some people thought parts of it were confusing, but i think you are of the disposition understanding with no issue. Tom Ford is a G for making a movie that good with such a low amount of objective experience.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    Saw the big sick, really liked it. Probably my fave apatow movie.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:

New Blade runner 2049 trailer.....

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,666
    edited July 17
    None of these Disney remakes need to happen. I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was extremely disappointing. The only one that I am somewhat interested in it's treatment is Mulan. Otherwise, they are not in my purview.

PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The only one I'm slightly interested in is Aladdin but generally I agree with Optimus 124.

Disney is only doing it because they're low risk high reward projects.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    Optimus124 wrote: »
    None of these Disney remakes need to happen. I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was extremely disappointing. The only one that I am somewhat interested in it's treatment is Mulan. Otherwise, they are not in my purview.

They dont but they make bank. I wouldn't support these and try to tell people "go see this original and awesome movie" but theyre all like "but my real life beauty and the beast". I saw that with my gf and her sister cause her sister wanted to so whatever. My mom said it was really good so i was like, maybe it's okay. I texted my mom after the movie demanding she repay me my 2 hours cause that was a steaming pile of shit. (She never paid me obviously lol).

Hopefully disney puts out new original movies as a result of the money they make from this but tomorrowland was a huge flop for them so it deterred them away from doing it.
    (I have fixed typos and other muddled syntax in my last post.)

Since we're still talking about this, it occurred to me yesterday about an hour that Disney's biggest original property at present is Pirates of the Caribbean; I mean, the Lucasfilm properties and the Marvel properties surely don't count. Too bad the latest one also bombed as far as I know and they're critically been duds since at least the third one. I'm not sure how much they've fared financially besides beyond that, though to be honest I stopped caring after the second one and only saw the third one recently all the way through on TV--it was horrible.

It's not that I don't understand them wanting to play it safe after Tomorrowland bombed for whatever reasons; I can't say anything about its quality or lack thereof because I never saw it and was honestly never interested in seeing it. I'm just utterly mystified why they seem to be focusing on the animated ones that seem like they would take the most money to make due to the extensive CGI involved before at least finishing the "classic" princesses since they haven't done a remake of Snow White or The Little Mermaid even if we're just limiting it to the white princesses and omitting Jasmine's currently "problematic" Arabic origins. I guess in the case of the former they don't want to compete with the more adult--I guess, never seen them--Snow White and the Huntsman movies and in the case of the latter shooting underwater (or pretending to do so) might be almost as expensive as realistic animated animal CGI on top of the potential awkwardness of casting Ursula realistically since she was ostensibly based off a drag queen.

Shrug. It just strikes me as super odd in addition to the aforementioned distaste I have for such "live-action remakes" in general even though I won't deny that they can be done well. They just usually aren't, among other issues that rile me up.

yeah, i really enjoyed it. some people thought parts of it were confusing, but i think you are of the disposition understanding with no issue. Tom Ford is a G for making a movie that good with such a low amount of objective experience.

I see. Good to know and to hear. Thanks. I guess I'll try to watch it sooner rather than later given how it easy it is for me put off things indefinitely even though every time I go into the rental place I've been getting movies from copies of it are staring me straight in the face any time I turn around.

Not a fan of romantic movies, much less romantic comedies, but I'm glad to hear that The Big Sick is doing well. Recommended it to some people as an alternative to seeing the multitude of shitty mainstream movies that came out in June after hearing good things about it by way of PBS Newshour and other sources. Not sure if they took my advice, but, hey, I tried (to save them from Transformers and Pirates).

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,090
    Bladerunner sequel looks like trash. I think its gonna be nearly impossible to make a futuristic noir movie like the OG and not have it suck, its just plain impossible. Bladerunner was way ahead of its time, it had prime Hauer ab lib one of the greatest lines in cinematic history, it had a non burned out Han Solo, it had an OST that still gets sold out and it had that look.

Since then and now, theres been a 1000 movies that have tried to do the same, so theres nothing special comming out of it, the only appeal is the continued story and meh, judging with the cast they got and how these trailers are looking, am not gonna give too much of a shit.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    crucades wrote: »
    Bladerunner sequel looks like trash. I think its gonna be nearly impossible to make a futuristic noir movie like the OG and not have it suck, its just plain impossible. Bladerunner was way ahead of its time, it had prime Hauer ab lib one of the greatest lines in cinematic history, it had a non burned out Han Solo, it had an OST that still gets sold out and it had that look.

Since then and now, theres been a 1000 movies that have tried to do the same, so theres nothing special comming out of it, the only appeal is the continued story and meh, judging with the cast they got and how these trailers are looking, am not gonna give too much of a shit.

It has Denis Villaneuve directing it. Dude has yet to have a miss (I've only seen Sicario and Arrival but Prisoners and Enemy are apparently fantastic). I hope it doesnt go for the original noir feel of the original movie and leaves any "he's actually a replicant the whole time" bullshit out as well. I found the original had too much down time with so much exposition. That doesnt seem to be Villanueve's style. Hopefully it's a high tension semi action movie like Sicario was
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i'm only going to see it for Princess...BATACAP, Ana de Armas, and Mackenzie Davis- any of which could make the movie theater explode if they drop calves at the right time.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,666
    edited July 18
    Optimus124 wrote: »

They dont but they make bank. I wouldn't support these and try to tell people "go see this original and awesome movie" but theyre all like "but my real life beauty and the beast". I saw that with my gf and her sister cause her sister wanted to so whatever. My mom said it was really good so i was like, maybe it's okay. I texted my mom after the movie demanding she repay me my 2 hours cause that was a steaming pile of shit. (She never paid me obviously lol).

Hopefully disney puts out new original movies as a result of the money they make from this but tomorrowland was a huge flop for them so it deterred them away from doing it.

I think that's the sad thing. Beauty and the Beast set the tone. Malifecent was actually pretty decent and my fiancee told me that Cinderella was straight, but again it all comes down to return on investment. BatB was a subpar remake that added irrelevant plot points, a character trait that was blown waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, and new songs that felt like a deleted scene tacked on because reasons.
    I missed out on Tomorrowland. If they can do ride movies right again, they'd have something. The first Pirates I regretted not going to the theater. I could have waited to see the following two as rentals.

PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
    (I have fixed typos and other muddled syntax in my last post.)

I see. Good to know and to hear. Thanks. I guess I'll try to watch it sooner rather than later given how it easy it is for me put off things indefinitely even though every time I go into the rental place I've been getting movies from copies of it are staring me straight in the face any time I turn around.

Not a fan of romantic movies, much less romantic comedies, but I'm glad to hear that The Big Sick is doing well. Recommended it to some people as an alternative to seeing the multitude of shitty mainstream movies that came out in June after hearing good things about it by way of PBS Newshour and other sources. Not sure if they took my advice, but, hey, I tried (to save them from Transformers and Pirates).

im not into romantic comedies in general...but i always liked the actor and director so i gave it a shot. im glad i did, reminds me a bit of 500 days of summer.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 19
    War for the Planet of the Apes was pretty damned boring. Dont believe the hype. The battles in the last movie were better. This movie is unnecessarily convoluted and long.

I also saw wonder woman recently and it sucked too.

Critics b reaching.
    Post edited by TheMaidenMasha on

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women Trailer..............
    In a superhero origin tale unlike any other, the film is the incredible true story of what inspired Harvard psychologist Dr. William Moulton Marston to create the iconic Wonder Woman character in the 1940's. While Marston's feminist superhero was criticized by censors for her 'sexual perversity', he was keeping a secret that could have destroyed him. Marston’s muses for the Wonder Woman character were his wife Elizabeth Marston and their lover Olive Byrne, two empowered women who defied convention: working with Marston on human behavior research......while building a hidden life with him that rivaled the greatest of superhero disguises.

-Traitor Aizen Souske

Trailer for The Shape of Water............
    From master story teller, Guillermo del Toro, comes THE SHAPE OF WATER - an other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963. In the hidden high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa’s life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment. Rounding out the cast are Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Michael Stuhlbarg and Doug Jones.

-Traitor Aizen Souske

Official trailer for Bright.................
    Humans, Orcs, Elves... everybody is just trying to get along. Get ready for the world of Bright, a new Netflix Original Film, starring Will Smith and Joel Edgerton. Coming to Netflix December 22th.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,169
    edited July 21
    @po pimpus

http://www.superherohype.com/news/401199-catfish-directors-to-write-and-direct-mega-man-movie
    The Hollywood Reporter brings word that directing team Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman (Catfish, Paranormal Activity 3, Nerve) are in talks to write and direct a big screen adventure for classic video game character, Mega Man. Chernin Entertainment and actor Masi Oka (Heroes) are set to produce the film for Twentieth Century Fox.

Shall I call a Catholic priest for last rites?

They are going to fail miserably. There's only one true megaman.
    e1c.jpg

Hold up...............did these guys really make a movie about the making of The Room?

-Traitor Aizen Souske

Hold up...............did these guys really make a movie about the making of The Room?

Yes they did
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Looks bad man. I don't think you can make a movie about The Room that is funnier than just watching it. This should have been some sort of funnyordie sketch not a whole movie.

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,271
    edited July 21
    I was so fucked up after watching The Room.
    Mostly because I drank half a bottle of whiskey during the movie, taking a swig whenever I'd otherwise say "wait what the fuck".