The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• KneelB4MeKneelB4Me CVS2! Joined: Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think she's stalking Ryan Gosling or vice versa.

I had high hopes for the movie and had set the bar pretty high. I think the film could have used an extra half an hour, no-one really got a chance to shine or put in a memorable performance. It all moved along too quickly. Somebody needed to shine with that casting.
    I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them.
    More K less A
  • Exodus.Exodus. Joined: Posts: 7,018
    I heard gosling's character was the best in the film (but that isn't much praise in a movie full of bad characters). I still want to see it, but I'm tempering my expectations and looking at it as almost a parody of the gangster genre.
    gl hf dd ka.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,316
    Gangster Squad looks like one of those movies I'd love despite it's quality. It'd have to be pretty damn bad for me to not like a shooty shooty gangster type movie.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Captivating and intense, but lacks some substance for those who can't "let it go and watch the movie"

I saw that written in a review of the film. That sums it up for me. I guess that's why I wanted it to be half an hour longer. It wasn't for me, I'm the guy who didn't like the Avengers! It more 'not for me' over that I would question anybody who enjoyed it.

I felt they really captured the time period, that was a real plus.
    More K less A
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Asian nerd is is reading too much into it with the math and especially time travel stuff however, it's a very well thought out and mostly convincing argument that should raise the respect of Prometheus even among it's many haters. I'd call him a condescending hipster douchebag for what he says at the end but he has the decency so admit his opinion is "full of plot holes" so he gets a pass:tup:
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    It's January. Don't expect any good new releases for a while. :coffee:
  • TSTS pbbbbbbt... Joined: Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Movie 43 is getting abysmally bad reviews. Not just bad, but so bad that reading them actually made me interested in the movie, even though it's supposedly not even bad-in-a-good-way bad, it's just bad-bad.
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    also it has Emma Stone :love:
    :rofl: terrible job at persuading me to see it

@orochizoolander: comicbookgirl19 on youtube gave a pretty good backstory on Prometheus that got me to hate it less as well.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,888
    :rofl: terrible job at persuading me to see it

@orochizoolander: comicbookgirl19 on youtube gave a pretty good backstory on Prometheus that got me to hate it less as well.

comicbookgirl convinced me to buy H.P Lovecraft's The Mountains of Madness, didnt regret it
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    I watched the original Swedish Insomnia. I'm not saying it's as good as Shutter Island, but SI is a more appropriate remake of Insomnia 1997, than the 2002 official remake. The remake kind of tells the plot straight up, and removes most of the claustrophobia and confusion that leads the main characters to dig morality holes they can't get out of.

The original version is a great example of how important continuity editing rules are to keep the viewer from being confused and disoriented (EXCEPT in this case it was done on purpose and for effect, unlike certain shall-not-be-named movies in recent years that are just horribly edited). Anyway, cool movie.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    << fucking hates "boo!" movies :mad: was watching Sinister. STOP THE BOO.
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• StanmanStanman STUNMAN! Joined: Posts: 1,343
    << fucking hates "boo!" movies :mad: was watching Sinister. STOP THE BOO.
    Watching it now. I think it's pretty solid or I mostly like Ethan Hawke's character in it. But I am already kind of seeing where it's heading.

I almost wanted it to be more of a true time story rather than supernatural too.
    After EVO 2k9 finals, I gave Justin Wong a hat that said "Honorary Wong Brother".
    I think he threw it away.
  • Dirt Mc GirtDirt Mc Girt OLD DIRTY Joined: Posts: 1,089
    the ending is horrible
    when the cop calls and suddenly figures out everything

Asian nerd is is reading too much into it with the math and especially time travel stuff however, it's a very well thought out and mostly convincing argument that should raise the respect of Prometheus even among it's many haters. I'd call him a condescending hipster douchebag for what he says at the end but he has the decency so admit his opinion is "full of plot holes" so he gets a pass:tup:

I enjoyed the video. I only have 2 problems with Prometheus. The biggest was nobody would try to pet the psychopathic death cobra. Second was the choosing to run to where the destructive rolling spaceship would be, rather than where it wont be.

I really enjoyed the film for all of the questions it posed and the gaps that it left. A sequel to Prometheus would be my most anticipated film of any year. I've enjoyed wondering all sorts of 'what if's' about the film, even now. I watched Prometheus with a very open mind which afterwards, I pretty much see as essential to get the most out of the movie.
    More K less A
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Watch comicbookgirl19's review of the bluray, deleted scenes kind of explain why the biologist petted the cobra. Prometheus would be a much better film if all the deleted scenes were in the theatrical version, although even then it falls far short of it's potential.

EDIT watch her updated breakdown not the one she made 36 hours after seeing it in theaters.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Thanks for sharing that!

Ahhh, where to start. I've seen the film a few times, I guess I had always hoped that it's plot holes were there to be filled in with a new film. Ol death cobra and the character building (and storyline) that should have gone in to that scene would be exempt from that, along with a few other things, probably Weyland (both father and daughter) to a large extent. Those are real missed opportunities. I would love to see the film with all scenes edited back in. (Will head off to google shortly, hoping!)

I guess the film would have been infinitely better if you minus the politics that went on once the original script was penned. It's a great film with an absolutely fine production, let down by those politics. I cant say I'm not a little pissed off now I know more about why the film ended up being presented the way it is. It definitely hurt the film. I'll approach news of a sequel with a touch more scepticism.
    More K less A
  • Las Vegas PimpLas Vegas Pimp XBL: Da Big Punisher Joined: Posts: 3,568
    Argo was not that good, to be winning all these awards. A shame to put it in the same category as The Hurt Locker at least.
    Still have that SRK OG mentality.
    but hurt locker wasn't that good...:confused:

I have no idea what argo is about but I will check it out anyway.

That's why I said at least, Hurt Locker was slow tempo but intense. Argo was just plain and exaggerated, especially for being a true story. Anyway, it's projected to win Best Picture but if you have no idea what it's about then I guess we'll have another unpopular winner like last year.
    And I hate talking to people about movies when they haven't seen it yet.
  • DoofenshmirtzDoofenshmirtz Joined: Posts: 470
    I remember asking a friend about movies she thought I should watch and she suggested Fight Club. I had already seen it so I started talking to her about it and after a few minutes of talking she says "Umm I actually haven't seen it yet but I've heard a lot of good things about it :D "
    From then on I stopped asking her opinions of things. I mean seriously, if you haven't seen or read something yet, please don't act like you have. It doesn't take anything away from the movie it just pisses me off haha
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
    Interesting... I am waiting for the first good video game movie (though I did enjoy Silent Hill 1 a lot).

Duncan Jones is a very strange choice though, but I guess Peter Jackson was a strange choice for Lord of the Rings too.

$100 mill seems kind of low to be a live action movie or a pure cgi movie. I wonder how they'll manage.
    After EVO 2k9 finals, I gave Justin Wong a hat that said "Honorary Wong Brother".
  • HFXHFX SMYA Joined: Posts: 4,751
    Saw Bullet to The Head last night, really enjoyed it. Think its way better than Arnold's The Last Stand.
    Malaysian. Kuching FGC founder. Follow me on: Twitch | Twitter | Facebook
  • KimuraLOXKimuraLOX Step into my zone, mad rhymes will stifle ya Joined: Posts: 4,101
    All of Stallone's dialogue consisted of one-liners in that movie, shit was hilarious.
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,673
    Watch Cobra. That shit is hilarious.
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Cleric Joined: Posts: 7,592
    The other day I watched Terminator 2 at the behest of a few friends of mine who told me it's a 'classic'. If that's true, then 'classic' is not as prestigious a label as I thought it was.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling
    I once read it's only appropriate for a man to shed tears during two events.
    1. The birth of their first child.
    2. The ending of Terminator 2.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,888
    ^There's a thought,

Question for SRK, which movies have reduced you to manly tears or near enough?

2 categories, ones that you cry/tear up as a kid and the other when you were a grown up.

Kid - Terminator 2, Dragon Bruce Lee Story, Meet Joe Black.
    Grown Up - Dark Knight Rises (Michael Caine at the grave stones, too real!), Green Mile, Pianist, Killing Fields.
    ^ you mad, stick to Transformers
    "Yuna

Formerly and once again!

Female"

• Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,343 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kid- T2 , 1986 Transformers movie (death of Optimus)
    Adult - X-men First Class at the climax
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    LOL :lol:

RockB didn't cry at the end of Terminator 2, instead he stood up in the cinema and screamed
    "this muthafuckin honky acting like his pet dog died! Bitch don't tell me to sit down!"

michael_jai_white%252800-headshot-from-black-dynamite-med%2529.jpg
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    million dollar baby made me cry...and grave of the fireflies. those have been the only 2 movies.

im outi

Roberth
    I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
    something was in my eye nigga..I DONT CRY :eek:

• angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    I have serious issues showing emotions. Lars and the Real Girl gave me a lump in my throat, but I was also on mushrooms at the time. Finding Neverland made me tear up, but that is a movie specifically engineered in a way to make you tear up. I feel like now that I'm getting older, it's getting easier to puncture my stoic walls. I figure if I have a kid, that will probably destroy my chances of holding back emotion.
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
  • KillaFoxKillaFox Resident Savage Joined: Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭✭ Junior OG
    I cried after they showed Thanos on The Avengers.
    I cant imagine watching Lars on mushrooms...

Seven Pounds and Into the wild got the closest with me.
    More K less A
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Cleric Joined: Posts: 7,592
    ^ you mad, stick to Transformers

What the fuck kind of answer is that? I don't like a bad movie, so I should watch one that's fifty times worse?

By the way, that ending was garbage. I don't know why you'd cry. It is something I can nevah do.

Watched the All-Star Superman movie recently. A lot of the comic's greatness was lost in translation. I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, too. Loved it. I kind of love Kevin Smith in general when he isn't doing Red State.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file