The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,845
  • HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

saw Argo last night.  very solid, Ben's best movie imo.  i felt that the middle part of the movie was off pace from the rest of the movie but other than that, very enjoyable.

im outi

Roberth

I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    die hard was terrible, as expected
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    Yeah it was awful. It made Live Free look intelligent.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    So I was watching Evil Dead II, and when I got to the featurette on the disc, it stated that pre-production began on March 9, 1985. Otherwise known as the day I popped into this world.

Raimi also went to the same university as me, although I win because I completed my studies and he only became a famous movie director.
  • YunaYuna Can I be a social justice cleric or something instead? Joined: Posts: 7,544
    I keep planning to go to the movies and then life gets in the way. I almost feel like I'm subconsciously avoiding the theater after the last movie I saw, which was Les Miserables. The director of that piece of obnoxious dreck should be fucking ashamed of himself, especially since he wasted the talent of at least three actors with incredible passion for the project. I feel a great swell of pity for Hugh Jackman and I really want to watch X-Men again just to remind myself that he's been able to have fun in a movie before.
    "It's high time for intellectually honest people to call out reflexive anti-PC posturing as being-- for the most part-- exactly what it is: a cowardly rhetorical defense mechanism employed by bullies who lack the courage of their own convictions. If you want to be a jerk? Fine. Be a jerk. But don't pretend like you're storming the gates of Mordor when all you're doing is spitting off the overpass."
    --Bob Chipman
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    Watched Almost Famous Untitled(extended version). Man I love this movie. So many good things about it. This should have won best picture over Gladiator back in the day, and surprisingly wasn't even nominated. Hadn't watched it in years so alot of the deleted scenes I didn't remember, so I almost had the feeling of watching it for the first time. Pure pleasure from start to finish.

"We got this thing called a Mojo. Let's you transmit pages over the telephone. And it only takes 18 minutes a page"

Got bored while I was slumming through the Aliens Colonial Marines shitfest so I threw on Titanic Blu-ray and listened to Cameron's commentary. Usually I find commentaries interesting, but this was 3 hours and 20 minutes of Cameron repeating the phrase "That was pretty darn accurate"

Caught Soderbergh's Side Effects last week. Good film, hopefully not Soderbergh's last like he keeps saying. I like his collaborations with Scott Z Burns(Informant, Contagion, Side Effects).

GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies of all time.  it's what I watch when I just want to feel damn good.
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Apocalypse begins in 2014...

Megan Fox cast as April O'Neil in Ninja Turtles reboot.

Sigh..
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,115 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2013
    she's not that bad. thats a role ANYONE can play. gimme dem turtles..in 3D!!1!

I am just glad that she is not the new "carey" lool
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• KillaFoxKillaFox I wish a nigga would on every candle. Joined: Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭✭ Junior OG
    There are much worst choices. So I will give her a chance, I don't go into a Bay film expecting an Oscar performance.
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    *slight rant*
    So my wife and I will FINALLY get a chance to go on a date tomorrow evening.  It's been months since we've had someone who can watch our son...I think Thanxgiving was the last time.  We decided by default - dinner/movie.  I load up my movie app to see whats playing...the average score was like 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Even going beyond the score, virtually everything out right now seems uninteresting.  Silver Lining Playbook has great reviews, but I've got NO interest in that at all.
    :sigh:

Looks like a Redbox night...
    - :bluu:
    Aside from fall leftovers and the occasional March surprise, January through May is basically a yearly holocaust for movies.
    *slight rant*
    So my wife and I will FINALLY get a chance to go on a date tomorrow evening.  It's been months since we've had someone who can watch our son...I think Thanxgiving was the last time.  We decided by default - dinner/movie.  I load up my movie app to see whats playing...the average score was like 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Even going beyond the score, virtually everything out right now seems uninteresting.  Silver Lining Playbook has great reviews, but I've got NO interest in that at all.
    :sigh:

Looks like a Redbox night...
    - :bluu:
    All of the oscar best picture nominated movies should still be playing somewhere near you.  I assume you've already seen Django.  How about Argo or Life of Pi?  
    AlphaZero said:
    Watched Almost Famous Untitled(extended version). Man I love this movie. So many good things about it. This should have won best picture over Gladiator back in the day, and surprisingly wasn't even nominated. Hadn't watched it in years so alot of the deleted scenes I didn't remember, so I almost had the feeling of watching it for the first time. Pure pleasure from start to finish.

"We got this thing called a Mojo. Let's you transmit pages over the telephone. And it only takes 18 minutes a page"

Got bored while I was slumming through the Aliens Colonial Marines shitfest so I threw on Titanic Blu-ray and listened to Cameron's commentary. Usually I find commentaries interesting, but this was 3 hours and 20 minutes of Cameron repeating the phrase "That was pretty darn accurate"

Caught Soderbergh's Side Effects last week. Good film, hopefully not Soderbergh's last like he keeps saying. I like his collaborations with Scott Z Burns(Informant, Contagion, Side Effects).

Did you watch the Red Letter Media (real) review/analysis of Titanic?  It's very good.  
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    ^ No.

On IRC tonight we had a debate about the sci fi genre. Almost everybody agreed films like Transformers and Star Wars are action/fantasies and not sci fi at all while I maintain that those and others films of their ilk are by definition sci fi albeit superficially. I'm of the mind that textbook definition of an umbrella genre doesn't have to match the artistic intent of a film. Sure sci fi films aim to posit questions which may have no definitive answer and encroaches on moral gray areas through semi plausible scientific machinations, but having robot aliens wreak havoc on Earth is still sci fi too, it just happens to be superficial sci fi serving as an excuse to provide mindless action instead of being "hard" sci fi. I'm surprised a lot of people have such a narrow view on what sci fi can be given that it's a broad genre as opposed to a sub genre which requires very specific elements.

Thoughts?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    edited February 2013
    Star Wars fits the definition of fantasy in a great many ways and science fiction in maybe one.

If you were to set the Lord of the Rings on a spaceship but otherwise leave it relatively unchanged, it would not transform into science fiction, nor for that matter would Halloween be a comedy if it starred Jim Carrey, nor would Dark Knight become Shakespearean theater if the dialogue were rewritten in iambic pentameter. You could argue that in those small ways they do fit those genres... but you could argue with much stronger reason that they fit much better into other categories for the many other features that they have.

This is not a new dilemma, and readers (this is before science fiction was ever taken seriously in movies) solved it by devising the term space opera--for when a fantasy story is set in space but otherwise has zero relationship with the conventions of science fiction.

In my book, space opera and space fantasy are both quite sufficient.

As for "hard sci-fi", that term entails science fiction wherein the specific nuts and bolts of the science under discussion (e.g. the hypothetical physics of artificial gravity) are of direct concern to the story. It is not just a term for science fiction that goes into more detail than Star Wars or Back to the Future... which go into no detail at all.
  • Chozen1Chozen1 Joined: Posts: 716
    edited February 2013
    The Apocalypse begins in 2014...

Megan Fox cast as April O'Neil in Ninja Turtles reboot.

Sigh..

Really? Meh. It's true what others say here though. It could be played by anyone i have no doubt.
    "The event is the journey, not the destination. because we all know what that is"
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    I agree that Back to the Future is a romantic comedy, but I don't understand how the concept could possibly work if all the sci-fi elements were removed, like the argument against Star Wars' place in the sci-fi genre.
    edited February 2013
    Make Emmett Brown the descendent of wizards and put in a magical talisman instead of a time machine. Boom. That's the beginning and the end of the function of "science".

Throw in whatever contrivance you need to get Marty into 1955 and the rest of the movie is able to play out in almost exactly the same way.

Note: for anyone who complains that Back to the Future wouldn't be the same without the DeLorean, the only reason anybody thinks the DeLorean is cool is because it was featured in Back to the Future.
    Oh okay. I don't agree then. Chaos theory is the most prevalent theme of BttF, that sets the movie apart from every other high school/romantic comedy/retro 50s movie from that decade, and that's pretty scientific.
    The film pays lip service to chaos theory but invokes it only when it's convenient for the drama and handwaves it the rest of the time. You might as well call Star Wars scientific for citing supernovas as a risk of lightspeed travel.
    The film pays lip service to chaos theory but invokes it only when it's convenient for the drama and handwaves it the rest of the time. You might as well call Star Wars scientific for citing supernovas as a risk of lightspeed travel.

Unless you had no idea chaos theory existed at all prior to watching the movie, you're not going to get much illumination on the subject.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Apocalypse begins in 2014...<br />
    Megan Fox cast as April O'Neil in Ninja Turtles reboot.<br />
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/megan-fox-michael-bay-reunite-ninja-turtles-reboot-78696<br />
    <br />
    Sigh..
    one of my friends noted she looked like the new april on the show..which made me curious if this was planned way in advanced.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,660
    Hey, a debate over whether or not Star Wars qualifies as sci-fi! This thread smells like BO all of a sudden.
    Be well.
    edited February 2013
    Star Wars fits the definition of fantasy in a great many ways and science fiction in maybe one.

If you were to set the Lord of the Rings on a spaceship but otherwise leave it relatively unchanged, it would not transform into science fiction, nor for that matter would Halloween be a comedy if it starred Jim Carrey, nor would Dark Knight become Shakespearean theater if the dialogue were rewritten in iambic pentameter. You could argue that in those small ways they do fit those genres... but you could argue with much stronger reason that they fit much better into other categories for the many other features that they have.

This is not a new dilemma, and readers (this is before science fiction was ever taken seriously in movies) solved it by devising the term space opera--for when a fantasy story is set in space but otherwise has zero relationship with the conventions of science fiction.

In my book, space opera and space fantasy are both quite sufficient.

As for "hard sci-fi", that term entails science fiction wherein the specific nuts and bolts of the science under discussion (e.g. the hypothetical physics of artificial gravity) are of direct concern to the story. It is not just a term for science fiction that goes into more detail than Star Wars or Back to the Future... which go into no detail at all.
    You sound like the IRC guys who think Alien is all horror and not sci fi in that you don't seem to be able to understand weakly fulfilling the superficial elements of an umbrella genre is all that is required in order to technically be a part of said genre if only partially. As I said before Transformers is first and foremost about blockbuster action but, the mere presence of alien robots automatically makes the series a slightly sci fi oriented one given that it contains elements of the future, technology, and a sense of awe all of which are required for anything to be defined as sci fi. Same goes for Star Wars, both series' don't have the core spirit of sci fi films (science confronting tough questions and taking on a philosophical bent), but that doesn't automatically exclude them from being a part of the genre altogether. If LOTR was on a spaceship that might be enough for it to contain at least 1 core element of science fiction by definition, again I'm addressing the difference between aesthetics and artistic intent while you seem to jumble them together. Shakespearean theater is a sub genre as far as I know so it doesn't get the leeway a broad genre like sci fi does and is therefore more easily identifiable.

I really don't understand how people can think films like Alien and Star Wars have no connection to sci fi just because they aren't plausible. I wasn't ever claiming that Back to the Future is the exact same thing as Primer lol.

Pitch Black was average, Chronicles of Riddick was dog shit.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    edited February 2013

Post edited by orochizoolander on
    edited February 2013

Post edited by orochizoolander on

orochizoolander said:
    I really don't understand how people can think films like Alien and Star Wars have no connection to sci fi just because they aren't plausible.
    Nobody here is actually saying this. In fact, if you go back and read what I wrote, what I said largely agrees with something you said--that a film can technically fit into a lot of genres at least a little bit. Films tend to be about more than one thing.

What I'm saying is that if you're going to bother with genre classification at all, it doesn't make any sense to classify it based purely on those little bits of superficial or spurious criteria. If Transformers is a little bit science fiction and a lotta bit action, it makes more sense to call it action. If Star Wars is a little bit science fiction (which even then is stretching it) and a lotta bit space opera, it makes more sense to call it a space opera. If Ace Ventura is a little bit nature film and a lotta bit comedy, just call it a comedy and be done with it.

What I'm saying is, let's not go describing A Far Off Place as a travelogue just because it takes place in southern Africa.

And really, let's not take Back to the Future away from romantic comedy. Not only does the term fit like a glove, but the romantic comedy genre has precious few jewels in its crown as it is.
    I don't have a problem classifying Star Wars as something other than science-fiction, because the main plot of SW (let's just use ANH for argument, even though the argument absolutely applies
    to the other 5) is about a young humble guy leading a rebellion massively outnumbered by an evil empire.

I can't do the same for BttF, because the main plot is about a kid forced to alter the past to get his parents to hook up at the right time, ensuring his own existence in the present. I could almost excuse the time-travel concept if Marty and Doc just end up in the 50s, do their thing and leave.. but the movie makes a point to show the viewer that they mucked up everything they interacted with in the past, for better or worse (turning 80s Biff into a bitch, turning Marty's hot girlfriend into the less attractive Elizabeth Shue, etc), for their survival. And it was probably Doc's time traveling that threatened Marty's existence in the first place.

Anyway I'm not buying the claim that BttF works without the sci-fi element, even if it isn't incredibly sophisticated. It is a combination of genres of course.

Well, now you're mainly talking about Part 2, which, unlike the first, actually does have a decent amount of science fiction lurking in its kudzu vine of a plot.

I don't cotton much to chaos theory as a significant explanation for what's happening in the original, mainly because as far as chaos theory goes, it plays very fast and loose with the rules. Just like the initial time travel, it's there to serve a stock plot function and that's it. It's the time bomb in Die Hard, or the sentinels tearing into the ship in The Matrix. It puts the characters on a tight schedule.

In Part 2, there's a concrete web of cause and effect (or, at times, effect and cause) that figures directly into the story. The movie actually takes an interest in exploring the implications, rather than simply maneuvering the characters into their places for the matchmaking comedy plot. I've heard Part 2 criticized for not being as much fun as the others because it's more interested in the multiple continuities than it is in the characters, but therein lies its uniqueness in the grand scheme.

As for Part 3, I'd say it mostly departs from science fiction once again. It's almost a Searchers plot, where the friend or loved one is deep into uncharted territory and doesn't really want to be brought back.

And yeah... Claudia Wells. Way better.
    edited February 2013
    And really, let's not take Back to the Future away from romantic comedy. Not only does the term fit like a glove, but the romantic comedy genre has precious few jewels in its crown as it is.

I'm not sure this is true let's see off the top of my head in no order:

10 Things I hate About you
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    When Harry Met Sally
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    100 Girls
    Reality Bites
    Knocked Up
    There's Something About Mary
    Chasing Amy
    The Apartment
    High Fidelity
    Woody Allen stuff
    Saving Silverman (fuck you guys it was kind of funny in a stupid way!)

I'm sure I'm missing some but damn you're right lol. Sorry for the triple post, didn't know the delete button was gone until now.

A Fish Called Wanda's great.
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    My list of acceptable romcoms is like Wanda, The Apartment, and...ummm...yeah...depends on what you call romcom.  Is Big a romcom?
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
    edited February 2013
    I'm talking about Part 1 and was joking about Elizabeth Shue. A real example is the Twin Pine Mall becoming the Lone Pine Mall because Marty ran the pine tree over.

And Part 1's altered Biff shows the danger of Doc and Marty altering the past for their benefit and everyone else's expense (which is greatly expanded upon in the sequels), although it isn't really pronounced because lol Biff.
    Post edited by Taito on
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My list of acceptable romcoms is like Wanda, The Apartment, and...ummm...yeah...depends on what you call romcom.  Is Big a romcom?
    lol big...pedo romcom?
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,128
    only rom com i finished watching was He is not that into you. Mainly cuz it had Jennifer Connelly
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file