The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• HeaTHeaT mindgames Joined: Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2013
    My list of acceptable romcoms is like Wanda, The Apartment, and...ummm...yeah...depends on what you call romcom.  Is Big a romcom?

i dont know if vici christina barcelona is a romcom, but even if it's not, it deserves to be seen.  if it is a romcom then it's top tier.

my top 10 movies of 2012

1 the master

2 holy motors

3 moonrise kingdom

4 amour

5 django unchained

6 argo

7 killer joe

8 skyfall

9 looper

10 the turin horse

im outi

Roberth

I stream games - twitch.tv/heatzgaming
    Youtube channel - youtube.com/heatfury
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Argo wasnt even Ben Afflecks best movie
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    Looks like HeaT and I are the only one who really liked The Master, although it definitely isn't my favorite of 2012, probably not even in my top 10.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,660
    Romantic comedies are more appealing to me than their un-romantic counterparts.

27 Dresses
    Bride Wars
    13 Going on 30
    Fool's Gold
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    This Means War
    The Proposal

...Just a few of the ones I've enjoy over the past few years. Step Brothers, Pineapple Express, etc. don't really do it for me.
    Be well.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,713 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

phantoms? lol
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    I haven't seen The Master or Argo or Django at all.  I have no review for them.
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gone Baby Gone and The Town both bett.... Did this motherfucka just say he didnt like Stepbrothers?
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Pineapple Express is a lot funnier than it seems like it would be.

Step Brothers is where laughter goes to die.
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Phantoms was so beast. i didn't want to bang any of those broads and it was still good.

that fucking dog, man...
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    edited February 2013
    Step Brothers is fucking hilarious.  Will Ferrell is funny.  I don't care what he does, he is possibly the funniest improv/sketch actor working today.  This means in a movie like Step Bros which is basically just him and John C Reilly improving for 90 minutes with a sprinkling of Adam Scott, Rob Riggle and Richard Jenkins is at it's baseline funny as fuck.  That's a tasty comedy meal.  Is it the kind of comedy that everyone is going to like?  No fucking way, but to say it's where "comedy goes to die" is a bit over dramatic.
  • KillaFoxKillaFox I wish a nigga would on every candle. Joined: Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭ Junior OG
    edited February 2013
    VFX guys are pisssssed! I hope someone steps up for them.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    peggy sue got married

• EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    Dead Ringers. Not trolling, I found that movie hilarious.
    RockBogart wrote: »
    Vynce said:<br />
    Romantic comedies are more appealing to me than their un-romantic counterparts.<br />

<br />
    <br />

<br />
    27 Dresses<br />

<br />
    Bride Wars<br />

<br />
    13 Going on 30<br />

<br />
    Fool's Gold<br />

<br />
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days<br />

<br />
    This Means War<br />

<br />
    The Proposal<br />
    <br />

<br />

<br />

<br />
    Pure estrogen......

I never would have watched a single one if not for you urging me to do so.
    Be well.
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    goodm0urning said:
    Pineapple Express is a lot funnier than it seems like it would be.

Step Brothers is where laughter goes to die.

Nah, that would be Ted. Figured maybe Seth Mcfarlane would try and save his best material for a film......but he has no material. It still blows my mind that alot of people I know thought Ted was the funniest comedy they had ever seen.

GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI

i thought it was.

im outi

Roberth

Ferrell is a good comedian and Reilly is a gifted actor, full stop.

That said, Step Brothers is like 15% successful jokes, 85% like getting jabbed in the head with a fondue fork. And that's probably a generous estimate.

Some of the greatest comic actors in movie history have done their best work when on a leash and their worst when off it. I would probably look a lot more favorably on Step Brothers' schtick if it were in small doses, but it quickly becomes grating in a feature length movie.

Ferrell is a good comedian and Reilly is a gifted actor, full stop.

That said, Step Brothers is like 15% successful jokes, 85% like getting jabbed in the head with a fondue fork. And that's probably a generous estimate.

Some of the greatest comic actors in movie history have done their best work when on a leash and their worst when off it. I would probably look a lot more favorably on Step Brothers' schtick if it were in small doses, but it quickly becomes grating in a feature length movie.
    Yeah, I don't agree with this at all.  I can just put on Step Bros and laugh for 90 minutes.  I'm a fan of improv and sketch, so the insanity of Step Bros, which is basically just long form improv with a very loose plot, appeals to me.
    There's a reason sketches tend to last for only a few minutes at a time.
  • KillaFoxKillaFox I wish a nigga would on every candle. Joined: Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭✭ Junior OG
    Superman CG cape! Nice! Bout time they use CG for good.
    I'm going to sound like a dick here, but I guess that's pretty par for the course with me, but I just trust my own judgement of comedy way more than really anyone else on SRK.
    His cape was mostly CG in the last movie, too.

Which is odd, because there were a shitload of shots in that movie where you'd think they would have CGed them in their entirety, but a lot of them are greenscreened with the actors like in the old days. Not that I'm complaining. In live action, I prefer looking at real people and objects, rather than pixels that were cartooned up in a computer.

Hopefully they're doing that with the new movie. Obviously Nolan prefers to minimize the use of computer effects, but who knows how much control he's asserting in that regard.

Yea I didnt see that last superman, Returns? i think? But the way they are hyping it up it sounds like it will be implemented better then the last failure. 

Zach Synder has a good grasp on CG and how to not over use it like other directors, who depend on it. I trust him for sure.
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    KillaFox wrote: »
    Superman CG cape! Nice! Bout time they use CG for good.
    Spawn...........

DOT DOT DOT DOT
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    edited March 2013
    Wasn't Todd Mcfarlane trying really hard to get Spawn reboot going....and failing?

Flight was pretty good, pretty dark material for Zemeckis, not what I expected.
    GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,492
    Anybody watch the Warriors before?

Just watched it myself and it is a pretty decent movie for weird reasons......

Mainly the scenery is what intrigued me, as it felt culturally conflicted between the 70's and 80's, and some of the scenes such as Cyrus' speech(The 'CAN YOU DIG IT!" one) were simply iconic to say the least, probably one of my favorite parts because even I felt something when listening to it.

Soundtrack, again stuck right between the 70's and 80's as this movie was made in 1979....

It feels like it was destined to be a video game as the characters just constantly run from one set piece to another to another..... there isn't really much of a plot and it's and extremely simple movie....

However it's something I could only tell you to watch yourself..... I'd personally give it a 4/5 just because it's such an anomaly to me, but it's really only a decent movie....

"Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,713 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Anybody watch the Warriors before?

Just watched it myself and it is a pretty decent movie for weird reasons......

Mainly the scenery is what intrigued me, as it felt culturally conflicted between the 70's and 80's, and some of the scenes such as Cyrus' speech(The 'CAN YOU DIG IT!" one) were simply iconic to say the least, probably one of my favorite parts because even I felt something when listening to it.

Soundtrack, again stuck right between the 70's and 80's as this movie was made in 1979....

It feels like it was destined to be a video game as the characters just constantly run from one set piece to another to another..... there isn't really much of a plot and it's and extremely simple movie....

However it's something I could only tell you to watch yourself..... I'd personally give it a 4/5 just because it's such an anomaly to me, but it's really only a decent movie....

they did end up making it a video game a few years ago.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    Saw Argo. 

Those final 45 minutes had my heart thumping lol. Ben Affleck is leveling up.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,696
    I saw "Hara Kiri" or what ever the movie is called, directed by the guy who did "13 Assassins."  It's bad,  I understand it is a remake,  and different than "13 Assassins," but I think the movie still sucked.  It was sappy, boring, and stupid. 

edited March 2013
    The movie forum I'm a member of is just about ready to unveil its homegrown Academy Awards for this year. At my suggestion, we're doing Lifetime Achievement awards for the first time. Also at my suggestion, we're doing video presentations of the awards this year (to be edited by me!), so I've gotten first peek at the results and I'm pleased as punch about the Lifetime Achievement winners. Anyone familiar with my tastes can probably make some educated guesses.

I guess what I'm saying is that my lifelong plan to get Nicolas Cage formally recognized for an entire career of excellence is finally paying off.
    GM, you and PG seem to have this fondness for NC I just don't get.
    BullDancer wrote: »
    Anybody watch the Warriors before?<br />
    <br />
    Just watched it myself and it is a pretty decent movie for weird reasons......<br />
    <br />
    Mainly the scenery is what intrigued me, as it felt culturally conflicted between the 70's and 80's, and some of the scenes such as Cyrus' speech(The 'CAN YOU DIG IT!" one) were simply iconic to say the least, probably one of my favorite parts because even I felt something when listening to it. <br />
    <br />
    Soundtrack, again stuck right between the 70's and 80's as this movie was made in 1979....<br />
    <br />
    It feels like it was destined to be a video game as the characters just constantly run from one set piece to another to another..... there isn't really much of a plot and it's and extremely simple movie....<br />
    <br />

Loved that movie. My wife liked it too. She dressed as a Baseball Fury for Halloween one year.
    Be well.
    GM, you and PG seem to have this fondness for NC I just don't get.

I'm joking about him getting a Lifetime Achievement award, but I legitimately feel that he enhances anything he's in, whether it's good or awful. He's a human absurdity, like a product of some insane person's imagination... but he's real.

There are no bad Nicolas Cage performances. There are good ones and there are awesome ones. He never half-asses or phones it in.
  • YMDSLTSACYMDSLTSAC Joined: Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm sure it's been said but that's so lame Mandarin isn't Chinese.
    "Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."
    I assumed it would be Scorsese.

I agree that he does give his all, but his all just doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe I just need to accept how batshit crazy he is going to be and work from there.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,696
    @Rockbogart Explain why the movie I mentioned was anything more than what I explained? I really really would love to hear your defense on this piece of shit that hung on to the coat tails of the success of 13 Assassins. Just because it's a remake doesn't make it redeeming no matter how shit it is. Fuck you BTW.
    I assumed it would be Scorsese.
    I will say for now that there are three. I'll put the video presentation up here when it's done.
  • AerodynOmyxAerodynOmyx PSN: nch2112 I'm insane and I like to laugh. Joined: Posts: 535
    Niggas at my local theater are showing Oz at 9 pm tonight.

Lemme Google myself in yo office!
    I haven't seen Hara Kiri, so I am not commenting on it, but saying the Takashi Miike is "riding on the coat tails of the success of 13 Assassin's" is an insane fucking comment. He's Takashi Miike! That's literally like saying Tarantino is riding on the coat tails of the success of Inglorious Basterds. He's got a long history of films before 13 Assassins including Ichi and Audition.
    edited March 2013
    I haven't seen Hara Kiri, so I am not commenting on it, but saying the Takashi Miike is "riding on the coat tails of the success of 13 Assassin's" is an insane fucking comment. He's Takashi Miike! That's literally like saying Tarantino is riding on the coat tails of the success of Inglorious Basterds. He's got a long history of films before 13 Assassins including Ichi and Audition.

this and hara kiri's vibe,atmosphere, tone, and philosophical commentary is completely different than 13 assassins. hara kiri is pure drama, and while takashi says 13 assassins is drama it definitely has a more actiony undertones.

im outi

Roberth

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file