The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,699 mod
    edited August 10
    (*finally notices that he's been using "pretty" as an adverb a lot of as late* ...I need to stop that.)

So I watched the Mr. Plinkett review of SJW Ghostbusters, twice even, and mostly enjoyed it, though I took enough issue with a couple of things towards the end to actually leave a comment on Youtube, which I almost never do.

Beyond that, I'm just going to repost the Honest Trailers for the equal abomination that was Alien: Covenant here after The Furious One posted them in the Alien thread in case anyone in here cares about those:

P. Gorath wrote: »
    god dammit...now I actually have to watch Ghostbusters

Ugh. Please don't subject yourself to it, @P. Gorath. Just bug @Pertho about details on it given how he somehow endured watching it three times. Give his sacrifice meaning rather than rending it even more pointless than it already was.
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,931 mod
    P.Gorath can read up Ghostbusters thread.

Its ass.

The End.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    god dammit...now I actually have to watch Ghostbusters

Don't..............please don't.
    My eyes still hurt from all the eye rolls I made trying to watch the movie.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    edited August 10
    Most of those are disgusting, but these two look like true art.
    tumblr_inline_oua97oSehU1rj0abt_1280.jpgtumblr_inline_oua9jxeJD61rj0abt_1280.png
    Still haven't seen Cap 3 but Cap 2 was the best marvel film IMO, with Thor 2 being second best.

Don't even get me started on Death Wish...

Other good Part 3's:

Halloween 3
    Prom Night 3
    Exorcist 3
    Toy Story 3
    Nightmare on Elm St 3
    Class of Nuke Em High 3
    I do not know how I missed this post. I watched most of those and I have to disagree. While something like Exorcist III has some merits, being a fan of the first two Halloween movies and H2O I have to say that Halloween 3 is awful. The plot is about an Irish cult with pumkin-juice powered cyborgs that want to sacrifice children to Samael by using popular brand name Halloween masks that are activated by a television signal transmission that turns them into snakes for fuck's sake. What that has to do with Michael Myers or his family members is beyond me.

Post edited by NeverYouMind on
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    im more impressed its even that good on a flour sac...it could be far far worse.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,475
    Fuck everything new that came out this week. I'm going and seeing Atomic Blonde again.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,700
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,699 mod
    edited August 11
    (Fuck! I was debating seeing A Ghost Story too even after finding out what it was about, but it was only in a theater near me for a week and not even up to this previous weekend, which is when I was considering it. The same goes for Silence. This year has been weird as far as availability of movies go for me, as seen by Spider-Man: Homecoming having never been near me over goddamn The Mummy and Valerian and having to go San Francisco to see Atomic Blonde. Only things that have been near me have been Arrival, Get Out, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.)

Despite still feeling pretty horrible yesterday, I powered through two more movies in Ida and Kong: Skull Island.

Ida was sadder, darker movie than I was expecting even from the previews, somewhat literally given that I had somehow failed to consciously process that entire movie was intentionally in black-and-white despite both the cover and the previews being in black-and-white. That's personally fine with me; it just bothers me that I didn't consciously pause and note it, perhaps because it genuinely doesn't matter to me. I am a bit frustrated by the ending and that we never learned one important character's name, but I suppose that's sort of fitting with the movie being far more showing and implication rather than telling as too many movies do even when they really don't need to.

Kong: Skull Island was...alright, though the more I think about it, the less I like it or, at least, the more problems I find with it. It's funny that after reading up on it after seeing it, I see it compared to Jurassic Park, which is another movie--hell, franchise that happened with. Still, I don't think I'll end up disliking it after the fact like happened with 300 or Man of Steel or Interstellar. It was just...alright. It doesn't help that decent amount of the characters were bland and that the accuracy of the flare gun shot at end was utter bullshit--what is she, Hawkeye?

Still, it was nice to have a King Kong movie that wasn't just another remake of the original and that didn't take forever to get to showing Kong. It also didn't have the Bay Transformers problems of focusing almost no focus on the titular creature(s) in general, jittery ass camera, and utterly stupid plot. Even a lot of more questionable actions that happened were explained rather neatly by one character's increasing mental instability, though that the majority of that entire helicopter sequence was immensely fucking dumb to me on a tactical level; I also still don't understand how that one guy got knocked so far away from everyone else, but whatever.

Finally, I will admit that I enjoyed John C. Reilly's character a lot more than I expected I was going to. He's straight-up the most likable character in the entire movie. Color me surprised. If nothing else, then it reminded me that I still need to watch Wreck It Ralph!.

Pertho wrote: »
    P.Gorath can read up Ghostbusters thread.

Its ass.

The End.

88e14692e0348af78474452dfa1307787f13a849.jpg

*snip*
    Still haven't seen Cap 3 but Cap 2 was the best marvel film IMO, with Thor 2 being second best.

Don't even get me started on Death Wish...

Other good Part 3's:

Halloween 3
    Prom Night 3
    Exorcist 3
    Toy Story 3
    Nightmare on Elm St 3
    Class of Nuke Em High 3

I do not know how I missed this post. I watched most of those and I have to disagree. While something like Exorcist III has some merits, being a fan of the first two Halloween movies and H2O I have to say that Halloween 3 is awful. The plot is about an Irish cult with pumkin-juice powered cyborgs that want to sacrifice children to Samael by using popular brand name Halloween masks that are activated by a television signal transmission that turns them into snakes for fuck's sake. What that has to do with Michael Myers or his family members is beyond me.
    *snip*

Are we already at that time of year again where someone on SRK has to explain to someone else that Halloween 3 intentionally has nothing to do with Michael Myers or his family members because it was suppose to be the start of one-off ideas under the franchise name before it bombed horribly, in part due to that very expectation that it would be related to Myers? I wasn't aware it was October already.

To be fair, even taking it as its own movie, I still personally don't think it's good. It's just that having Halloween on the front of it made it even worse, sort of like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    I can't wait to make a favorite horror film list for October!

Do you feel that 'Kong: Skull Island' compares favorably to the 2005 remake of 'King Kong' with Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts, and Jack Black?

'Wreck It Ralph!' is worth a single view for all the cameos neatly wrapped inside the package. I would not watch it again like some of my animated film favorites as the story is serviceable at best and characters are not well developed. It has good pacing and a great presentation that you should definitely check out.

P.S. I think I will construct a Top Ten Animated Films List in the near future...
    edited August 13
    (Hmm...I realize that Halloween 3 quip came off as far more condescending than I intended, especially since I was on the "not knowing" end once a long time ago. Apologies for that. [/new SRK baby softness])

So...I just got dragged to Dunkirk by a friend and I am...whelmed, in the Young Justice sense of the word. (Given how long this got, I'm going to put the rest of it in spoilers.)
    Ultimately, I think it was an okay movie overall, especially for lacking really crafted narrative and more just being the recounting of a series of events without any real fleshed out characters, which only really works because of the type of event it's covering in this instance. Still, I can definitely see why some of the people in here have had mixed reviews in here, to the point of one of you falling asleep off and on throughout it; I thusly, personally found it over-hyped as I expected I would unfortunately.

Personally, the thing that bugged me the most with the movie was, first and foremost, the blatantly emotional manipulative music used at times when it would have been more impactful--why is this another word Overlord Google's Chrome browser doesn't automatically recognize?--in at least two scenes to use minimal to no music at all. Honestly, the musical score in this movie got rather obnoxiously intrusive at points, which I'm not sure if it's just Hans Zimmer getting lazy as he ages, Christopher Nolan wanting to dumb "you're supposed to feel like this" to I Am Sam levels, or just poor editing on the part or parts of whoever edited this overall weirdly edited movie. It may also just be because I'm dead inside, which is highly probable, but that's not mutually exclusive, so my point here still stands. It was quickly to the point that when the second score starts up very early on the movie to emphasize "MOVING THIS STRETCHER IS DRAMATIC", I had to consciously try not to laugh even though it wasn't intending to be humorous at all.

My two other main complaints were the lack of proper naming for most of the characters, though that makes sense given the nature of the movie and very loose narrative, and the weird temporal editing of said loose narrative, which didn't need to cut back and forth so much and could have stood to be clearer when it did at certain points. When it comes the former, while it does indeed make sense given the subject matter and theme of the movie, it also has the downside of making you think of the characters as their actors or even as approximations of people you know in real life. This is distracting when mentally you're going "Hey, it's Cillian Murphy" or "Hey, it's Tom Hardy" or "Hey, that guy looks the bastard child of Simon Pegg and Ben Affleck. Mr. Pegg cheated on Mr. Frost? That bastard!" Even the relatively few immediately named characters aren't safe from this, though it ended being due to personal reasons because when the guy playing George came on screen, I instantly thought "man, this kid has such a cunty expression and yet he looks so familiar..."; I then immediately felt bad when I realized that he reminded of an Asian associate who tends to look like when he's frowning because he's basically the white version of said associate facially.

An additional, final complaint is that the carnage was weirdly bloodless even when it really shouldn't have been. Have to get that sweet, sweet PG-13 money after all. I'm not saying that I need a film were people die to have the deaths be visually bloody and gory, especially given all the drowning, but, honestly, the war genre is the genre where gore is literally the most appropriate it can be, even moreso than the horror genre (since gore isn't scary--just disgusting).

That said, if you tend to have emotive reactions to films and can follow loose narratives easily and liked Nolan's other films generally, then I suppose it's worth watching and definitely worth watching in 70 MM or a large screen if possible, which I almost never say. I personally liked it more than Interstellar, at least, when it comes to Nolan's other films that I've seen and Harry Styles does a decent job for a former-member-of-a now defunct-boy-band-that-I-completely-ignored-yet-still-vaguely-disliked-due-to-oversaturation-turned-actor if you care about that, probably because he's decently fuckable on a purely aesthetic level I guess; regardless, I can see why Mr. Styles isn't interested in acting again given all the water-based stunts he was involved in here. The movie also used darkness--actual darkness, not Hollywood darkness where it's a brightly lit "night" scene--and weird camera angles well and had Nolan's usual well-done visuals.

If the majority of the above paragraph is stuff you either couldn't care less about (beyond the fact that I'm writing it) or consider anathema, then you definitely want to just skip this though.

If nothing else, then the movie at least made me want to look into the event itself more to learn just how accurate the movie was given how very loose and fast "based on a true story" movies can get. See (or don't, preferably) 21 for an example of this on the "this is barely related to what happened in reality" part of the continuum.

I can't wait to make a favorite horror film list for October!

Do you feel that 'Kong: Skull Island' compares favorably to the 2005 remake of 'King Kong' with Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts, and Jack Black?

'Wreck It Ralph!' is worth a single view for all the cameos neatly wrapped inside the package. I would not watch it again like some of my animated film favorites as the story is serviceable at best and characters are not well developed. It has good pacing and a great presentation that you should definitely check out.

P.S. I think I will construct a Top Ten Animated Films List in the near future...

First and foremost, noted.

Secondly, to be perfectly honest, I have never seen any other King Kong movie all the way through. I've seen bits of the original, an extremely small amount of the 70s version with Jeff Bridges for a class, and when Peter Jackson came out with one, I saw the name "Peter Jackson" alongside "Adrien Brody*" and went "3 hours? Yet another remake? No thanks." Nonetheless, I've still seen a decent amount of bits in pieces from the Peter Jackson version just because of how often it used to come on TV.

From what relatively little I saw, I would say that Kong: Skull Island compares favorably to King Kong (2005...really? Geez) along the lines of a) you see Kong relatively immediately rather than waiting for like...an hour--probably more given Peter Jackson--and b) Kong himself gets more exploration as a character rather than at best a sympathetic but ultimately still dumb beast and c) not being be a remake.

That said, for all of the horrible things that go wrong in Kong: Skull Island, the Peter Jackson version of King Kong easily has the more fucked up scene that gets across just how screwed humans would be on a Skull Island that was "just" bigger creatures rather than weird flora-fauna chimeras with that infamous insect pit scene (even if it is somewhat darkly hilarious):

*Adrien Brody is a good or maybe even great actor, but for some reason, I've never really liked him in anything save for maybe The Pianist, which I was in a weird mood when watching, and/or Grand Budapest Hotel, which is a quirky movie in general. I'm not sure what it is, but he's never "clicked" with me despite his skill.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's kind of shocking how bad The Birth of a Nation is. Finally got around to seeing it and it is laughable. Trite, cliche, shallow...it's amateur hour at every level. Put it next to 12 Years a Slave and it looks like the crayon drawings of an 8 yr old.
    @P. Gorath - That's disappointing to hear, but not surprising given it fits with the bad reviews I heard that it got heaped upon it even ignoring the black people (read: women) who were going to boycott it regardless of quality just because of the director having a white wife or whatever. This even before you include the other people who already didn't want to see it for various reasons, including due to being sick of the already heightened racial tensions at the time (that are still on-going). I personally thought (and still think) it was unnecessary even as a "take that" to the original; better to just let that film be forgotten even if it was the first film ever shown in White House.

Still, since you compared to it 12 Years of A Slave, which is indeed a goddamn masterpiece and has me glad that Lupita Nyong'o has become famous from it, I am (morbidly) curious to know just what's so bad about Birth of a Nation (2016), as now it sounds laughably comparable to Ghostbusters (2016), especially now that I see Armie Hammer is in it:

DFBTj0a.gif

Since I'm bothering you directly again anyway, I'm also curious to know if you watched Silence and, if so, your opinion of it. It too was only out for like a week, so I'm guessing it bombed (hard), but unlike with Birth of a Nation (2016) I am still somewhat tempted to actually watch Silence.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,475
    edited August 13
    As a feminist, I feel the need to voice the opinion that the 2016 Ghostbusters movie
    was a lot of fun for me at the time, but in retrospect I find a lot of it really trite and reliant on awkward humor. I've never found Melissa McCarthy funny. Additionally, real SJWs know not to support anything with Kate McKinnon.

On a serious note, I went to go see Atomic Blonde for the second time last night. I don't think it's going to be a game-changer or anything, but god, it's so much fun, and watching it a second time allowed me to piece the plot together a bit better. I want to see Charlize Theron in as many action movies as she'll take; she really does have presence in things like this.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman
    edited August 13
    I personally liked that 'King Kong' was focused on the humans instead of the giant creatures of Skull Island as I am not a fan of giant monsters duking it out and a bunch of humans providing commentary and reactions. I understand your complaint about not wanting to see a remake, but in truth after seeing greatly improved remakes in 1978's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 1990's 'Night of the Living Dead', 1993's 'The Vanishing', and 1996's 'The Birdcage' (featuring possibly the best Robin Williams and Gene Hackman comedic performances ever) I feel the need to know how well remakes turn out.

I understand how you feel about Adrien Brody as most of his roles do not appeal to me and the films he stars in are usually depressing, but I think your opinion of him may improve if you watch 2005's 'The Jacket' if you enjoy a mix of time travel and psychological thriller.

I have the same issue with Tom Cruise as you do with Adrien Brody. He is a good actor, but outside of 'A Few Good Men' and 'Minority Report' I don't like watching films with him.

I also have the opposite problem with Nicholas Cage, Keanu Reaves, Christian Slater, and Mark Wahlberg. They can often be terrible actors, but I enjoy seeing them anyway. I do have to say to their credit that they fit their roles perfectly in 2000's 'The Family Man' (NC), 2004's 'National Treasure' (NC), 1994's 'Speed' (KR), 1999's 'The Matrix' (KR), 1989's 'Heathers' (CS), 1993's 'True Romance' (CS), 2000's 'The Perfect Storm' (MW), and 2013's 'Pain and Gain' (MW).

P.S. 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is the most refreshing film I have seen in forever. I have never seen a film quite like it and I mean that as a compliment.
    Trailers for all relatively obscure films mentioned:

Post edited by NeverYouMind on
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

P.S. 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is the most refreshing film I have seen in forever. I have never seen a film quite like it and I mean that as a compliment.

I concur, Wes Anderson is an awesome writer/director.
    Aside from Grand Budapest, my personal faves are The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox.
    Generally, anything with Bill Murray in it is a must watch for me; he is amazing imo.

Ugh, yes.
    I even watched the 2016 Ghostbusters because of him smfh...
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    I thought Grand Budapest Hotel was dumb as shit.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited August 13
    Some people like to watch paint dry and don't like adventure. It is a matter of personal taste.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,512
    Ghostbusters seemed to have no control over anything. Women talk so much they felt the to replicate it in the movie lol

I watched room and inside llweyn davis yesterday. Inside llewyn davis is a great movie. Super solid. You follow a generally unlikeable character trying to make his way and ask the same internal questione he does as you go along. Nicely done

Room tho. Holy hell. Room is a god damn masterfully done movie. It's an emotional rollercoaster. Brie larson deserved every award she got for this role. It has a strict 2 halves to the movie that play out incredibly well and the child actor was actually really good. I highly recommend this film, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite film of the 2010s
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    edited August 13
    Some people like to watch paint dry and don't like adventure. It is a matter of personal taste.
    Watching Grand Budapest Hotel was very much like watching paint dry. Very apt description. Im deffinitly a big fan of adventure, shame that movie failed to deliver.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited August 14
    (After having just watched Ida's extra features, I sort of want to watch the director Pawel Pawlikowski's other films now.

Also, yeah, though I didn't see it in theaters and didn't really know what it was about, having finally watched Room this year, it was a lot better than I expected and quite good. I've generally been liking Brie Larson in everything I've seen her in thus far.)

I liked Grand Budapest Hotel, but I can definitely understand someone not liking it.

Since we're talking about Wes Anderson, I am reminded what a good movie Moonrise Kingdom was and that I still need to watch The Royal Tenebaums; I'm not sure how interested I would be in Fantastic Mr. Fox. I guess I'd probably like it given I liked The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou after I reluctantly watched it due to my best friend saying it was one of his favorite movies. Of all Wes Anderson's movies, including The Darjeeling Limited, I think of the ones I've seen I have liked Moonrise Kingdom the most though.

Yuna wrote: »
    As a feminist, I feel the need to voice the opinion that the 2016 Ghostbusters movie
    was a lot of fun for me at the time, but in retrospect I find a lot of it really trite and reliant on awkward humor. I've never found Melissa McCarthy funny. Additionally, real SJWs know not to support anything with Kate McKinnon.

On a serious note, I went to go see Atomic Blonde for the second time last night. I don't think it's going to be a game-changer or anything, but god, it's so much fun, and watching it a second time allowed me to piece the plot together a bit better. I want to see Charlize Theron in as many action movies as she'll take; she really does have presence in things like this.

@Yuna - For the record, as much as I dislike what happened with Ghostbusters (2016) on multiple levels, I don't actually have a problem with anyone enjoying it along the lines of fun. Even if it wasn't a pile of unfortunately utterly wasted potential, I still doubt I would liked it anyway personally just because I've never found SNL's humor brand of funny and that's the type of "humor" it seems to use and I doubt that would change even if someone (far) more competent like Kristen Wiig had written the script. That there was the whole kerfuffle with faux feminists trying to shame people into seeing the movie and Feig's own delusions about humor due to childhood bullying trauma was just painfully embarrassing.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you liked Atomic Blonde enough to see it twice. Given I haven't seen you around much lately, I'm somewhat curious about what you thought of Mad Max: Fury Road given you mentioned Charlize Theron in an action role and I don't recall seeing your opinion about it; it's been a couple of years since it came out though, so I may just be forgetting something. I guess I would ask you about Aeon Flux too, but I think pretty much everyone agrees that movie was...bad. [/understatement]

I guess I'm also a bit curious what you think of Scarlett Johansson's latest roles given they've all been pretty action-oriented as of late.

I personally liked that 'King Kong' was focused on the humans instead of the giant creatures of Skull Island as I am not a fan of giant monsters duking it out and a bunch of humans providing commentary and reactions. I understand your complaint about not wanting to see a remake, but in truth after seeing greatly improved remakes in 1978's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 1990's 'Night of the Living Dead', 1993's 'The Vanishing', and 1996's 'The Birdcage' (featuring possibly the best Robin Williams and Gene Hackman comedic performances ever) I feel the need to know how well remakes turn out.

I understand how you feel about Adrien Brody as most of his roles do not appeal to me and the films he stars in are usually depressing, but I think your opinion of him may improve if you watch 2005's 'The Jacket' if you enjoy a mix of time travel and psychological thriller.

I have the same issue with Tom Cruise as you do with Adrien Brody. He is a good actor, but outside of 'A Few Good Men' and 'Minority Report' I don't like watching films with him.

I also have the opposite problem with Nicholas Cage, Keanu Reaves, Christian Slater, and Mark Wahlberg. They can often be terrible actors, but I enjoy seeing them anyway. I do have to say to their credit that they fit their roles perfectly in 2000's 'The Family Man' (NC), 2004's 'National Treasure' (NC), 1994's 'Speed' (KR), 1999's 'The Matrix' (KR), 1989's 'Heathers' (CS), 1993's 'True Romance' (CS), 2000's 'The Perfect Storm' (MW), and 2013's 'Pain and Gain' (MW).

*snip*

First and foremost, again, noted.

Now, for the record, I don't have a problem with remakes in general. I have a problem with remakes being done unnecessarily and furthermore poorly. All of the remakes you've mentioned--I still need to watch Night of the Living Dead and The Vanishing admittedly--are examples of good ones. I can give further examples of good remakes: the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy, the late 1980s remakes of The Fly and of The Blob, surprisingly the American version of The Ring, and technically the 1980s version of The Thing. I'm sure there are others that are I've seen or know of that would apply, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind; too bad they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Regardless, my chief problem with wanting to see King Kong (2005) was seeing that Peter Jackson was doing it. I don't dislike him, but Peter Jackson might be the only person who exists who manages to be even more long-winded than I am and, given The Hobbit suffered similar problems, he doesn't seem like he's able to edit things and reign himself in to save his life.

As for Adrien Brody, yeah, I don't know what it is that doesn't click for me with him. It isn't really his movies, because I generally don't have a problem with depressing films. Thanks for reminding me The Jacket exists. I may watch that next. So many choices....

As for the other actors, yeah, I also have issues with all of them save for maybe Slater, whom I'm pretty ambivalent about, especially compared to the other four. Nicholas Cage and Keanu Reeves can act well at least, it's just that most of the time they...don't, which is funny because they have the exact opposite problems as actors (beyond just tending to start in movies of questionable script quality): Nicholas Cage acts in exaggerated emotions most of the time since he's clearly just having fun with most of his movies whereas Keanu Reeves tends to not emote (well) all, which I suppose makes sense given his apparent personal tragedies and just being a stoic guy. As for Christian Slater and Mark Wahlberg, meh. They both seem rather ho-hum as actors at best unlike Cage and Reeves and, in Wahlberg's cast, his younger brother is the far better actor of the two--just like with Ben Affleck and Casey Affleck.

Tom Cruise is probably the most "tragic" though. He used to be such a good actor, but then become a shilling slave to Scientology because of (rather easy to guess) reasons and personal issues that's basically their delusional poster boy nowadays. Given I absolutely refuse to support Scientology in any way, I try to avoid seeing anything with him or any other (major) supporter of Scientology in it. As such, the last thing that I watched with Tom Cruise--at least chronological to its release date--was Tropic Thunder, where I didn't even realize it was him until the end credits. So thankfully him being in that didn't take away my enjoyment from it given he had relatively minor part in the movie (and was actually funny for once). Fortunately, none of his recent movies have not interested me whatsoever save for Edge of Tomorrow and maybe Oblivion; I'm still not going to watch those any time soon though, if ever.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    Might watch Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade tonight. Kinda want to see some Nazis get their asses kicked.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited August 13
    Fantastic mr fox is a greatly enjoyable movie to watch. Do yourself a favor and watch that film. One of the most fun movies ive experienced
    edited August 14
    Noted. I honestly have at least two dozen things I could watch next, especially since I have free reign.

As it is, chadouken!'s post reminds me that I still need to watch the OG Indiana Jones all that way through that aren't Temple of Doom. I also am reminded that I still need to watch Seven Samurai all the way through despite having owned it for years.

Sigh. I guess I'm still never going to get anything done any time soon with all this catch-up.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933
    I still need to see Girls Trip.

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

I haven't seen Silence. I don't get a chance to watch too many movies these past few years. Birth of a Nation I stitched together from 3-4 times it's been on HBO the past few weeks.

You need to get on that Seven Samurai stat...pre-Dodesukaden Kurosawa is OP
    (Yeah, I really do need to finish Seven Samurai, from the beginning. I don't even remember why I stopped mid-way. Otherwise, noted.)

I guess I'm watching Mysterious Skin next, at least of the things I've rented. Why do I have the strong feeling that this movie is going to be both gayer and thus more depressing than I'm already anticipating?

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 14

'

I think both are good in their own ways. If I just want a fun movie I'd watch Skull Island just because it has a lot of cool Kong Action and is more of a popcorn movie. It also has a cool visual style and flair. Acting and characters were meh but you get what you want to see (Kong) and its not going to take your entire afternoon. If you want more of an epic and well acted take Peter Jackson's King Kong is the better movie but you just have to brace yourself for peter jackson lengths. I kinda like that theres a fun Kong that doesnt take itself too seriously to exist alongside the remake.

edit: saw dunkirk tonight, was pretty dope.
    Post edited by TheMaidenMasha on

The Damned wrote: »
    (Yeah, I really do need to finish Seven Samurai, from the beginning. I don't even remember why I stopped mid-way. Otherwise, noted.)

I guess I'm watching Mysterious Skin next, at least of the things I've rented. Why do I have the strong feeling that this movie is going to be both gayer and thus more depressing than I'm already anticipating?

I saw Mysterious Skin in the theater. I was a big Greg Araki fan bitd. Doom Generation and Nowhere were pretty pivotal in that Kids era of indie films.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wes Anderson movies are somewhat polarizing for viewers as they are pretty stylized (very artsy and technical) but the plot and the script is top notch. Same with the camera work, very distinctive and nuanced.

As quirky as they are, Anderson's films attract a very diverse set of actors (Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, George Clooney, Luke and Owen Wilson to name a few) that usually find something they like in the project. That's a good sign that his creativity and vision are big draws for talent even if some of them aren't necessarily blockbusters in the traditional sense.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a riot. Great adaptation of the book with his own signature style and it's never boring.

I'm looking forward to a new project he's doing, Isle of Dogs , which is another stop-motion animated film with a great cast including Bryan Cranston, Murray, Swinton, Ed Norton and more.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,323
    Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favorite movies.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    Gene Hackman in Royal Tenenbaums is so good.
    This part had me in stitches:

I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,958
    I know it was discussed a few pages ago but saw dark tower. I get why people didn't enjoy it but I liked it.

I'm a sucker for matthew mcconaughey though
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

Just finished watching Prisoners, my 3rd Denis Villaneuve movie. God damn can This guy make a good movie. It's probably my least favorite of his films so far but holy hell, this level of tension he creates in his movies is notbing I've gotten from another director. I still need to see enemy but god damn, i love all of his movies
    Just finished watching Prisoners, my 3rd Denis Villaneuve movie. God damn can This guy make a good movie. It's probably my least favorite of his films so far but holy hell, this level of tension he creates in his movies is notbing I've gotten from another director. I still need to see enemy but god damn, i love all of his movies

I concur, the guy knows how to create atmosphere and set an overall mood.
    Personally, I liked Sicario; it was absolutely riveting with the characters having great depth to them.

Prisoners sort of reminds me of No Country for Old Men by the Coen Brothers.
    In both films they build up the tension and sustain that sense of dread with some pretty disturbing scenes.

I've read that he's tackling Dune as one of his upcoming projects after Blade Runner 2049 releases.
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,677
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Might watch Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade tonight. Kinda want to see some Nazis get their asses kicked.

My fiancee and I just watched Raiders on Sunday. The setup of Indy as a character in the first 10 minutes is pretty stellar.
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @P. Gorath

have you seen this? i'm dying over here. i'm at the 20 minute mark. it has nothing to do with an actual review of the movie and there are no spoilers. they are talking about Rotten Tomatoes and a contest WB set up to exploit content creators.

Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    "Stay classy warner brothers"
    edited August 17
    Watching Grand Budapest Hotel was very much like watching paint dry. Very apt description. I'm deffinitly a big fan of adventure, shame that movie failed to deliver.
    'The Grand Budapest Hotel' starts a little slow and takes a while to build momentum, but you would have a hard time finding scenes like the prison escape and ski chase outside of an action or adventure film. I will admit better editing could condense the best scenes in a more satisfactory manner, but even so it is still a movie I could see myself watching hundreds of times.
    tataa8P wrote: »
    I concur, Wes Anderson is an awesome writer/director.
    Aside from Grand Budapest, my personal faves are The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox.
    Generally, anything with Bill Murray in it is a must watch for me; he is amazing imo.
    I generally have two main issues with Anderson's films, but 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' overcame those issues. One main issue is how awkward relationship scenes are intended as comedy scenes. It reminds me of the tone deaf American humor featured in the 'The Office' television show and it never fails to make me cringe. Another is that children and adolescents in his films act so maturely. Only children I have ever seen like that take Ritalin or have been diagnosed with mild autism. There is also an inherent naiveté to characters in his movies, but I do not find it to be a major issue as it is very common in many older films.

I do not watch every film with Bill Murray, but I do enjoy seeing him in films even if it is just for a minute or two. The last film I watched with him was 2014's 'St. Vincent' and I thought he did a great job portraying an old veteran coming to terms with his age. Despite his bad habits the character still managed to be charming when faced with taking care of a neighbor's kid.
    tataa8P wrote: »
    I know it was discussed a few pages ago but saw dark tower. I get why people didn't enjoy it but I liked it.

I'm a sucker for matthew mcconaughey though
    54910b39-98c1-4bf0-a318-c9016385eb4c_McConaughey-Alright-Win.gif
    Matthew McConaughey's role in 2014's 'Interstellar' was the first time I enjoyed his acting. Unlike 2002's 'Frailty' (a memorable mystery/psychological thriller) I could not picture 'Interstellar' without him. He was so good in this role that I forgot Matthew McConaughey was portraying a single father on a pre-apocalyptic Earth, where his knowledge and talents as a NASA trained pilot were wasted on being a farmer until he was recruited for a last ditch planetary colonization effort. The passage of time in the movie was so genuinely heartbreaking, that I was able to forgive its many major plot holes.

A few nights ago I also managed to watch 2013's 'The Wolf of Wall Street' in its entirety. Matthew McConaughey's role in the beginning felt like he was stroking his ego, but Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio's acting throughout the whole thing blew me away. Their portrayal of shameless investment entrepreneurs rivaled depictions of Caligula. They were equally repulsive and captivating. It was nice to see DiCaprio in top form again after so many years.
    Trailers for films mentioned:

P.S. I need to watch Sicario.
    I generally have two main issues with Anderson's films, but 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' overcame those issues. One main issue is how awkward relationship scenes are intended as comedy scenes. It reminds me of the tone deaf American humor featured in the 'The Office' television show and it never fails to make me cringe. Another is that children and adolescents in his films act so maturely. Only children I have ever seen like that take Ritalin or have been diagnosed with mild autism. There is also an inherent naiveté to characters in his movies, but I do not find it to be a major issue as it is very common in many older films.
    - Wes Anderson is categorically an auteur, much in the same vein as Woody Allen for movies or Hideo Kojima for videogames, to sort of simplify how his movies can be viewed and appreciated. It's not exactly for everybody but then again, it takes a lot of skill and creativity to make films that a viewer can easily associate to a specific director's body of work.
    I do not watch every film with Bill Murray, but I do enjoy seeing him in films even if it is just for a minute or two. The last film I watched with him was 2014's 'St. Vincent' and I thought he did a great job portraying an old veteran coming to terms with his age. Despite his bad habits the character still managed to be charming when faced with taking care of a neighbor's kid.
    - I love that movie. Dramedies are very hard to balance, but Bill Murray and the rest of the cast tread that fine line and make it work.
    Lost in Translation literally made me weep, Murray's performance is def Oscar-worthy; funny and poignant in almost equal measure which was near perfection for me.
    Matthew McConaughey's role in 2014's 'Interstellar' was the first time I enjoyed his acting. Unlike 2002's 'Frailty' (a memorable mystery/psychological thriller) I could not picture 'Interstellar' without him. He was so good in this role that I forgot Matthew McConaughey was portraying a single father on a pre-apocalyptic Earth, where his knowledge and talents as a NASA trained pilot were wasted on being a farmer until he was recruited for a last ditch planetary colonization effort. The passage of time in the movie was so genuinely heartbreaking, that I was able to forgive its many major plot holes.
    - Interstellar was really good. The performances were excellent and the plot was kinda wonky for me too; still enjoyed it though. McConaughey delivers a superb turn in Dallas Buyer's Club if you haven't seen it yet.

A few nights ago I also managed to watch 2013's 'The Wolf of Wall Street' in its entirety. Matthew McConaughey's role in the beginning felt like he was stroking his ego, but Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio's acting throughout the whole thing blew me away. Their portrayal of shameless investment entrepreneurs rivaled depictions of Caligula. They were equally repulsive and captivating. It was nice to see DiCaprio in top form again after so many years.
    - His role in The Wolf of Wall Street was a metaphor for narcissism. Gotta love that chest bump though lololol
    giphy.gif
    P.S. I need to watch Sicario.
    - You must watch Sicario homie, excellent movie.
    edited August 17
    (While I also thought Matthew McConaughey's acting in Interstellar was quite good, it couldn't save that movie for me. I'm not really sure what I think about him in general other than "weird guy who seems constantly stoned and who is maybe an above average actor". Shrug.)

In continuing to watch movies that I end up thinking are mediocre, I watched A Cure for Wellness a couple of days ago mostly just because it was the latest thing that mother had ordered from Netflix for whatever reason even though she doesn't like horror movies. Oddly, she liked it a lot more than I did, though that may be in part because she somehow didn't see the extremely obvious "twists" coming that I felt the movie basically bludgeons you to death with after the first 30 minutes if you're actually paying attention before it's even half way over.

The run time, I think, is probably its biggest flaw since it runs for 2 hours and 26 minutes when it really could have been like 30 to maybe even 40 minutes shorter. At the same time, it's a bit weird to say that because even I know it "should" have been shorter, unlike most of the movies I could say this about, I'm really not sure what really "should" be cut out beyond I suppose the very beginning where you see the guy die who gets absolutely no character development and has no absolutely no relevance otherwise. Still, even that's only saving about 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Dane DeHaan was...okay in it, I guess? At the very least, he acted decently and his weird looks and general sickly pallor actually worked well in a movie for once. I still don't really buy him as a love interest to well...anyone, though, at least heterosexual, but I digress.

There was not really anyone else in this movie that I recognized, which is fine, outside of Martin Manhunter's voice actor in a minor role at the beginning, which threw me for a minute; I feel a bit bad for never bothering to look his name before now--it is Carl Lumbly. (Also apparently the man who played the head doctor was also the voice actor for Admiral Zhao in the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoons. Huh.)

Beyond that, I also finally finished watching the documentary (Dis)Honesty: The Truth About Lies after only getting to see the first 18 minutes months ago before it got deleted from the DVR after recording it from PBS. Unlike A Cure for Wellness, I would recommend it, especially since it's unfortunately rather applicable to everything humans do. For the record, it's intended to far more optimistic about human nature than I took it, but nothing is new there.

I need to get around to watching Mysterious Skin tonight so that I can return it on Saturday with The Circle, which now I also have to return; damn 2 day rentals.

@P. Gorath

have you seen this? i'm dying over here. i'm at the 20 minute mark. it has nothing to do with an actual review of the movie and there are no spoilers. they are talking about Rotten Tomatoes and a contest WB set up to exploit content creators.

*feels sad that he wasn't devil-summoned*

I just finished watching this and I really can't say I'm surprised that a) Annabelle: Creation is both utterly boring and unnecessary as both a movie and part of The Conjuring universe and b) that Warner Bros. is trying to pull that type of shit, especially since almost no one who isn't a lawyer or overly (read: properly) cautious tends to read contracts in full.

Offering a mere $50 as a "prize" sadly isn't even a new level of audacity compared to how many people in the past have just been straight-up ripped off by others, not that this by any means excuses WB. They can go burn.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    edited August 18
    I actually watched 'A Cure for Wellness' a few days ago as well. I did not bring it up because it failed to appeal to me on any level. I did not understand why they bothered to have the introductory sequence if it was never going to be brought up again either. Generally, psychological thrillers with gorgeous backdrops or sanitariums are something I look for. However, this movie was all flash and no substance. When it was revealed they extracted fishy tasting water from brainwashed rich old people the movie became unsalvageable for me.

You two should have watched 2001's 'Session 9' instead. It is a moody psychological thriller with twists that do not ruin the film. The premise is that a construction crew is hired to clean out a closed psychiatric hospital and things slowly spiral out of control. Definitely worth the run time.
    The "reveal" in A Cure for Wellness, as silly as I can see people thinking it, didn't really bother me that much, probably in part because I figured something along that line was the case as soon as the dehydration thing came up. All the eels everywhere weren't exactly subtle either.

As for Session 9, I have been meaning to watch for over a decade, but I keep never getting around to it, even the one time it came on TV last year and I DVR'd it and then just...never got around to watching it before it got deleted from the DVR. Outside of the usual indolence, I think part of the reason I keep putting it off is because I have unfortunately the ending of the movie spoiled for me.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Honestly, the movie is still worth watching. A huge spoiler would not ruin the movie in the same way as 'The Sixth Sense' as the journey is more meaningful than the destination.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Nnnnn at this getting a sequel.........
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    (...For the record, I never said I wasn't ever intending to watch Session 9, @NeverYouMind. I was just explaining why I haven't watched it as of yet and why I am not exactly rushing to watch it even if I've only ever heard good things about it.)

So...I literally just finished watching Mysterious Skin fifteen minutes ago and...yeah, that was both gayer and more depressing than I was already expecting. Dear gods, the first twenty to twenty-five minutes are absolutely Hitchcock-esque in just how fucking uncomfortable they are even without being blindsided by the subject matter like I imagine some poor bastards might have been; in fact, (vaguely) knowing what it was about beforehand arguable made those minutes even worse. Same goes with that ending. Geez. Never imagined that movie with such a large amount of naked Joseph Gordon-Levitt could be so damn ugly; the amount of uncomfortable close-ups on faces at the beginning of the movie did nothing to help this, especially with the almost supernaturally blue contact lenses he's wearing in this movie.

Still, I suppose that ended relatively better than Johns, which is odd to say given that movie was comparatively lighter than this one despite opening up with the still "traumatic" scene of David Arquette's character going down on Ron Perlman's character--yikes. Not nearly as hopeful as Moonlight's ending still surprisingly was, but still a lot better than what I was expecting even with all the horrible stuff spelled out.

I overall enjoyed it despite all that and I suppose it's good I can be made uncomfortable and disgusted by horrible aspects of humanity rather than being numb to it all. At the same time, I imagine I'll have to strive to become more heartless if I'm ever going to get around to watching Irreversible.

Not that that is going to happen any time soon most likely. At present I'm considering watching The Circle before I take it back to the rental place for my mother. On the one hand, it has a good cast. On the other hand, given I already realize all the bad aspects of social media and I imagine that's what this movie is about, it might be redundant for me to watch it.

P.S. Somehow, until literally just right now, I didn't realize Gregg Araki was Asian until actually looking at the IMDb page for Mysterious Skin rather than giving it a passing glance at best. It seems really obvious now given how his last name is spelled, but I just never bothered to look it up since it wasn't (and isn't) important to me. Still interesting to finally note since I've been aware of him for a while ever since my best friend told me about Kids like a decade ago, though I don't think he's ever watched that movie--I can't remember at present.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 538
    Caught Logan Lucky tonight, I enjoyed it. It's basically Redneck Ocean's 11 (as advertised) but not quite as convoluted. Redneck Daniel Craig and Adam Driver were gold though.
    Not really sure why Sebastian Stan's character was necessary in the movie. He's basically an extended cameo and did little to drive the plot IMO. Doesn't hurt the quality of the movie at all, just something I noticed
    Gaspar Noe is the shit...all his movies are fire.

You also need to get on that Michael Haneke life, Damned
    (Good to hear that Logan Lucky might be worth it. It's playing down the street from me. I doubt I'll go see it given perpetual penury among other things, but still, it's good to hear given all the other crappy movies that have already come out this year.)

So, I watched The Circle basically right after my last post as another "it's been rented, so why not?" and, gods, for something that I thought would be "preaching to the choir" to me, I was greatly disappointed by it, which is funny because I didn't even have huge expectations to begin with. It was just so simplistic, to the point where I said "are you kidding me?"* several times out loud, and this is as someone who already is extremely wary of technology and especially of social media. That movie was not nuanced or well thought out at all. It somehow managed to feel both too long and too short given just how little was explored about the ramifications of almost anything, especially given the supposedly "happy" way it ended.
    At the end, she exposes all of the top two co-founder's secrets, which will all but explicitly get them sent to prison, and seems to just
    somehow get away with inheriting/taking over the company and still opting to be "transparent" by being monitored 24/7...despite the fact that she would at the very least also inherit the same shady deals and product pushing, to say nothing of her being arguably equally complicit in the death of her friend with the "SoulSearch" bullshit. Like...what?

I'm not sure you can actually have such a naive protagonist be actually likable if they aren't an actual child. I would have greatly preferred if it had just ended up being some horror-esque thriller about the cultish aspects of social media like I thought it was going to be instead of the main character good-naturedly making things worse at almost every turn. Sigh. What wasted potential. I wonder if the book by Dave Eggers is as underwhelming.

That this was Bill Paxton's last movie, which I wasn't even aware of until I started watching it, just makes his death even more depressing.

*One of the things I said "are you kidding me?" to was just how egregiously bad CGI of John Boyega during the middle of the movie was, especially since it was utterly unnecessary to have anyway given how little his character actually matters or even really reacted to things (that he arguably should have). Clearly he was away still shooting Star Whores VIII: The Last BBC (Because That's Racist Now), so why not just cut those scenes completely instead of having it look even worse than Syfy's made-for-TV-movies' CGI? At least there was no Wilhelm Scream now that I think about it though.

Gaspar Noe is the shit...all his movies are fire.

You also need to get on that Michael Haneke life, Damned

Hmmm...I had to look him up, since he's apparently primarily a writer and we all know that when it comes to movies (and TV too, I guess), only the main actors and the directors tend to get any fame and praise. As far as what he's written, I've actually watched both The White Ribbon and Amour, hence why the latter is my current avatar; both were good despite being overall depressing and immensely downbeat. Similarly, I've unfortunately spoiled the hell out of myself with regards to how Funny Games largely goes and ends, so like Session 9, that's near the bottom of my list on stuff to watch at present.

Are there any other movies that he was involved with that you would recommend though?

P.S. Why does he look like a German Christopher Lee?

- P. G. Wodehouse