The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    The Mist is the most overrated horror movie of the millenial generation.

?? i didnt know the mist was highly regarded in any way lol.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,886 mod
    (Maybe he's confusing The Mist with that horrible The Fog remake given Tom Welling was in the latter and we know "millennial" panties dropped for Mr. Smallville. [/not entirely sarcasm])

I honestly can't remember anything beyond vague praise for The Mist aside from Stephen King saying that he liked the new ending, which hardly counts as being lauded enough to be "overrated", much less "the most overrated". Maybe Gabriel just tends to suffer people talking The Mist far up more than any of us.

As it is, I have previously said times before, I wanted to like that movie given that I liked the book (and it remains one of the few Stephen King stories I've actually read), but Thomas Jane and his horrible "acting" single-handedly ruined the movie for me unfortunately; his inability to act well made the ending especially laughable. Not even the movie dressing up Sam Witwer's supremely pasty yet weirdly handsome ass in military uniform could help save it. [/that's not my fetish]

Speaking of The Mist, I double checked IMDb just to see when it and The Fog came out--2007 and 2005 respectively--and thus stumbled across the fact that apparently there's a new series for The Mist comes out extremely soon. Uh. What.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    edited October 9
    2017-2018 is basically stephen king tryin to make all the money he can. so many properties of his are coming out in this block of time.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,828
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Maybe he's confusing The Mist with that horrible The Fog remake given Tom Welling was in the latter and we know "millennial" panties dropped for Mr. Smallville. [/not entirely sarcasm])

I honestly can't remember anything beyond vague praise for The Mist aside from Stephen King saying that he liked the new ending, which hardly counts as being lauded enough to be "overrated", much less "the most overrated". Maybe Gabriel just tends to suffer people talking The Mist far up more than any of us.

As it is, I have previously said times before, I wanted to like that movie given that I liked the book (and it remains one of the few Stephen King stories I've actually read), but Thomas Jane and his horrible "acting" single-handedly ruined the movie for me unfortunately; his inability to act well made the ending especially laughable. Not even the movie dressing up Sam Witwer's supremely pasty yet weirdly handsome ass in military uniform could help save it. [/that's not my fetish]

Speaking of The Mist, I double checked IMDb just to see when it and The Fog came out--2007 and 2005 respectively--and thus stumbled across the fact that apparently there's a new series for The Mist comes out extremely soon. Uh. What.

Bro season 1 has already aired. It's pretty hit and miss unfortunately. It's at its best during the later episodes when the crazies take over.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,782
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mist

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fog

Definitely the mist he was thinking about. Ive heard decent things but im not really a fan of horror movies so whatever.
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,489
    I thought 2049 was excellent. Very slow, moody, thoughtful. Definitely not for mass audiences.

I won't say I liked it more than the original. The original is a very special movie, more of a poem than a narrative, but with amazing sci-fi tropes and grindhouse touches. Strictly in terms of comparison of the two, 2049's biggest deficiency was the lack of Rutger Hauer. His stand-in in the new film does not compare.

I was disappointed in RLM's take on both it and the original...a rare miss for them.

Agreed; 2049 was a visual masterpiece but imo, it did not have the same effect as the original. I can't really explain it; it's like it is missing a soul or something. I may have to watch it again but it did not have the same profound effect compare to the first one for me.

Joi needs to arrive now. :rofl:
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

• YunaYuna Can I be a social justice cleric or something instead? Joined: Posts: 7,515
    edited October 9
    I haven't ever really been a big horror movie fan, but of the ones I've watched, I guess my favorite would be Alien (1979) or Aliens (1986). Another personal go-to is A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014), but I'm not sure that that's really a horror movie per se, since it blends with the romance and Western genres as well.

Unrelated, but I want The Shape of Water in my eyeballs and I want it right the fuck now.
    "It's high time for intellectually honest people to call out reflexive anti-PC posturing as being-- for the most part-- exactly what it is: a cowardly rhetorical defense mechanism employed by bullies who lack the courage of their own convictions. If you want to be a jerk? Fine. Be a jerk. But don't pretend like you're storming the gates of Mordor when all you're doing is spitting off the overpass."
    --Bob Chipman
    edited October 9
    (All of this horror movie talk just reminds me how dead the horror thread tends to be, which is especially jarring in light of the new It having come out even if it ultimately supposedly isn't scary in a non-jump scare sort of way unfortunately. Sad times.)

What did you think of Black Swan, @Yuna? I ask in part because reading through the Sci-Fi Ghetto page on TV Tropes made me realize that it indeed probably should be classified as a (good) horror movie, in part because I liked it, and in part because it was one of those rare movies where I actually liked Natalie Portman in it.

This also reminds me that I still need to watch Suspiria. Sigh.

maxx wrote: »
    2017-2018 is basically stephen king tryin to make all the money he can. so many properties of his are coming out in this block of time.

Yeah, that's not surprising. I figured as much would happen if the It remake did remotely well and lo and behold it has. As I said earlier, all I can "hope" for is that they don't bother to remake Carrie yet again; remaking Christine would be timely or, hell, "finally" making From a Buick 8.

Bro season 1 has already aired. It's pretty hit and miss unfortunately. It's at its best during the later episodes when the crazies take over.

Oh. Huh. I guess what surprises me is more that I didn't hear about it at all, even online. I should arguably say "especially online" given how little I actually watch TV and given that I don't watch Spike at all, but...yeah. It's just weird not having heard about it at all, even in passing.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mist

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fog

Definitely the mist he was thinking about. Ive heard decent things but im not really a fan of horror movies so whatever.

Sigh. Why are you so bad at acknowledging sarcasm even when it's clearly labeled?

That said, geez, The Fog remake managed to become even worse than I already thought it was given how laughable that movie poster looks. It looks like someone getting high rather than some type of ominous death cloud. On just how many levels did the marketing department of that terrible movie fail?

In any event, even for all of the problems that I already accept exist with The Mist (2007), I still doubt it's the "most overrated" horror movie of the millennial generation like P. Gorath was saying. I'm pretty sure that goes to like Paranormal Activity or one of those other found footage movies that were all the rave just a few years ago, arguably even the original Blair Witch Project, though that movie was at least interesting at the time if nothing else. [/mild blasphemy]
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • YunaYuna Can I be a social justice cleric or something instead? Joined: Posts: 7,515
    Need to see Black Swan. If nothing else, I want to know what Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis having sex looks like.
    "It's high time for intellectually honest people to call out reflexive anti-PC posturing as being-- for the most part-- exactly what it is: a cowardly rhetorical defense mechanism employed by bullies who lack the courage of their own convictions. If you want to be a jerk? Fine. Be a jerk. But don't pretend like you're storming the gates of Mordor when all you're doing is spitting off the overpass."
    --Bob Chipman
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,731
    edited October 9
    I saw the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner on my flight back home. It was decent but not really seeing how it is this masterpiece of a film. The honest trailer summed it up perfectly, film noir with robots. However, Roy's final monologue was a feels moment .
    Post edited by Optimus124 on
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 61
    edited October 9
    I had no idea Sean Young was originally cast as Vicki Vale. One of my professors interviewed her after her role in Blade Runner. The movie didn't resonate with me, but I remember it felt worth watching.
    Apparently, Sean Young is crazier than fucking Chex Mix.
    --Bob Chipman
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 753
    edited October 10
    I do not follow. It has great special effects that will hold up for decades. A rock solid plot with great writing. A good cast with great supporting actors. A perfect set. An ominous soundtrack. Great editing. What is there not to like? I also do not understand what generations have to do with being a good film.
    As it is, I have previously said times before, I wanted to like that movie given that I liked the book (and it remains one of the few Stephen King stories I've actually read), but Thomas Jane and his horrible "acting" single-handedly ruined the movie for me unfortunately; his inability to act well made the ending especially laughable.
    I do not get the criticism of Thomas Jane being a bad actor when practically the same people are praising actors like Tom Hardy and Channing Tatum and shit. In this movie, he is a mildly ticked off father dealing with his neighbor's bullshit and subsequently mob mentality in a crisis of overwhelming proportions. The only scenes that are slightly questionable are the ending ones, but the soundtrack, skilled editing, and momentum of the plot hits hard enough to push through it.

I was actually considering putting in '28 Days Later' or 'The Shining' in its place but upon rewatching them, I found a few too many issues with them unlike this film. Even with Cillian Murphy and Jack Nicholson, who I prefer over Thomas Jane as actors I would have trouble justifying their inclusion in this list over this film.
    As much as I like Carpenter as a director, I personally did not like anything about even the original 'The Fog'.
    Yuna wrote: »
    I haven't ever really been a big horror movie fan, but of the ones I've watched, I guess my favorite would be Alien (1979) or Aliens (1986).
    I was also considering the inclusion of 'Alien', but it takes forever to get where its going and frankly I found the psychological horror and sci-fi elements of 'Event Horizon' more engaging. The sequel is an action film as opposed to a horror film.
    What did you think of Black Swan, @Yuna? I ask in part because reading through the Sci-Fi Ghetto page on TV Tropes made me realize that it indeed probably should be classified as a (good) horror movie, in part because I liked it, and in part because it was one of those rare movies where I actually liked Natalie Portman in it.

This also reminds me that I still need to watch Suspiria. Sigh.
    'Black Swan' is one of the most overrated films I have ever seen. Portman seems like she is one broken nail away from breaking into tears and her so called psychological breakdown is more like a single night of bad judgement and years of narcicism leading to a desire of becoming a famous martyr for the arts. Mila Kunis played the role of a flirtatious whore of an understudy well, but the plot was too shit to make it matter. The sex scene was boring and the only interesting segment of the film was the one dealing with the dried up star that tried to commit suicide. I bet Anne Hatheway could have made that shit work. I do not know anything about ballet and this movie convinced me that there isn't anything worth knowing.

'Suspiria' sounded like it was a good film before I watched it, but it was really lacking in many aspects. The camera angles and sets were stunning, but the soundtrack, writing and acting were awful. It was like a visually stimulating, but worse version of 'The Omen'.

• jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Black Swan was just made as an Oscar Bait movie, that was the purpose.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    "Black Swan" is not Oscar bait. It's directed by Darren Aronofsky, he makes Art Films. These are not going to be for everyone and are tough watches. Basically the issue "Mother" is having.
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,572
    edited October 10

Fuck outta here man, Mist was awesome, plus the ending holy shit, that shit was worst than watching people getting capped in real life, Thomas Jane should have gotten an Oscar for that.

@NeverYouMind good top tier horror list man. Jacobs Ladder is in my old time top 5 and Donald Sutherland made that version of Body Snatchers the most dreaded horror movie of all time. You got some dumb shit on there too but mostly a superb listing.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    edited October 10
    (I'm pretty sure that Natalie Portman's character being clearly fucked up from the start is part of the point of Black Swan. This isn't like The Shining where the main character is supposed to be "normal" and gradually descend into madness, but comes across as fucked up from the start because Jack Nicholson plays Jack Nicholson like he almost always does. It's pretty clear that Natalie Portman's character from Black Swan is doomed from the start. I'm not saying that you have to like it or even that Natalie Portman couldn't have been replaced with it a better actress; of course she could--she's Natalie Portman. I was mostly just saying that from what I remember of it I liked it as a good horror movie and that I certainly think of it was one of Natalie Portman's better movies, even if that's not necessarily saying much.)

I'll never understand the urge to deflect from the topic at hand by inserting an unrelated comparison when making an argument. Actually, no. I understand it, given humanity is shitty like that; I just think it's insipid inane and disingenuous.

If you must bring up Channing Tatum and Tom Hardy, however, then I will admit that I don't have particularly high opinions of them either. In both of their cases, however, it's more because I have barely seen any of their movies than I think they are outright bad or at best middling actors. I have only ever seen Channing Tatum in the two 21 Jump Street movies and it's rather difficult to judge someone's acting ability solely off of comedy movies unless they are primarily a comedic actor, which he is not; he still made me laugh in both of them though. Similarly, I have only ever watched Tom Hardy in Star Trek: Nemesis, which was a crappy movie in general beyond Tom Hardy's control, and Mad Max: Fury Road, which was a good movie where he was ultimately a secondary character with relatively minimal lines since Charlize Theron was actually the main character, and Dunkirk, which was the same case as Fury Road except far more "meh" to me as an overall movie. So, yeah, I can't speak about either of them, which is part of the reason I didn't bring them up.

Meanwhile, I have just found Thomas Jane to be a laughably bad actor in everything that I've seen him in, including unfortunately The Mist. Maybe he's good in that Punisher movie I've never watched, but it's a bit of a Catch-22 with regards to seeing that since I'd essentially be watching it solely to watch an actor whom I think is bad play a character that I don't give a damn about in most instances.

So...yeah. I just don't think Thomas Jane is a remotely good actor and that ruined The Mist for me personally. I'm not saying anyone has to agree; I'm just explaining why I ultimately didn't like The Mist and he's the main reason.

jae hoon wrote: »
    Black Swan was just made as an Oscar Bait movie, that was the purpose.

I can't begin to agree or disagree with this since I honestly don't know what you mean by this. I mean, I can guess, but all of the "Oscar bait" things I can think of are either related to specific types of drama (or romance), which Black Swan doesn't really fall into, or race (read: slavery), which Black Swan doesn't deal with at all, or some type of catchy or overly poignant song, which Black Swan doesn't have. There's certainly "titillation bait" given the (ambiguous) sex scene between Natalie Portman's character and Mila Kunis's character that everyone talks about, but there's really not the same as "Oscar bait", at least as I understand it. This especially since it wasn't until literally just last year that a movie with an openly non-heterosexual main character, Moonlight, (finally) won the Oscar for Best Picture; before that, the closest things that had won were Lawrence of Arabia and arguably Casablanca, neither of which particularly count for different reasons.

So please do elaborate when you have the time, @jae hoon.
    Post edited by The Damned on

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Watch Bronson. Tom Hardy is one of the best actors of this generation and chooses very good movie roles for himself. Nemesis is the worst film he's been in and that was not to his fault (the movie has a lot of issues). Bronson really shows how good an actor he can be.

Tatum is a fine actor. There isnt really anything he's done to say he's amazing
    (I agree about Nemesis. I unfortunately saw it in theaters too as a "kid"--what a waste of money.)

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Bronson, but I haven't gotten around to watching it because of laziness. The same goes for Channing Tatum and Foxcatcher, though in that instance, Steve Carell overshadows him as garnering praise apparently.

Regardless, they are barely on my radar as far getting me to watch movies despite being big stars, which is why I've basically never mentioned them on here before this time and why I've seen so few of their movies.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    Watch Bronson. Tom Hardy is one of the best actors of this generation and chooses very good movie roles for himself. Nemesis is the worst film he's been in and that was not to his fault (the movie has a lot of issues). Bronson really shows how good an actor he can be.
    Maybe you were hypnotized by the mustache, because the inconsistencies in personality and uneven role playing were unbecoming of a good actor. The premise of Bronson was on a level of stupid that was previously unimaginable to me with respect to prison and mental institution related films. A bloke like that would be more likely to get a baton stuck up his ass or get turned into a paraplegic. At the very least a bit of shock treatment. As much as I enjoy violence, mindless violence is the mark of a dull mind. Even the underground fighter bit has been done better by Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, Dolph Lundgren, Brad Pitt, and even Channing Tatum (at least he can physically pull it off).
    Maybe you were hypnotized by the mustache, because the inconsistencies in personality and uneven role playing were unbecoming of a good actor. The premise of Bronson was on a level of stupid that was previously unimaginable to me with respect to prison and mental institution related films. A bloke like that would be more likely to get a baton stuck up his ass or get turned into a paraplegic. At the very least a bit of shock treatment. As much as I enjoy violence, mindless violence is the mark of a dull mind. Even the underground fighter bit has been done better by Marlon Brando, Clint Eastwood, Dolph Lundgren, Brad Pitt, and even Channing Tatum (at least he can physically pull it off).

I think you are an incarnation of Armond White
    I just saw the Foreigner.

Decent thriller with great performances from Pierce Brosnan and Jackie.
    Dont go expecting a happy go lucky jacky and lots of action scenes.

Lots of little twists and Brosnans character wasnt a stockvillain.

7.5/10

most of jackies acting movies arent happy go lucky. hes pissed and disgruntled...hes only happy go lucky in america. this is his version of taken for america.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,887
    He is not only happy go lucky in America, most of his filmography here and over seas is him being silly and happy go lucky.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,828
    edited October 13
    He is not only happy go lucky in America, most of his filmography here and over seas is him being silly and happy go lucky.

He hasn't done many serious drama roles. The only one that comes to mind is Shinjuku Incident, and that movie is even more of a rarity because it involves no martial arts.
    If you've never seen it, it's worth watching

7.5/10

Thanks for the review. It's either this or Blade Runner 2049 this weekend.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,270
    Seeing Foreigner on Monday when I have a day off. It looks fun.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 13
    Im not familiar with Jackie's pre Hollywood stuff or recent films.

I watched eight of his films from Rumble in the Bronx in 1996 till Rush Hour 2 (2001). In most of those he was light hearted and did a lot of action.
    So it was jarring coming from that era to his grim avenger in the Foreigner

Another thing is after the first 45 min of the movie, it feels like Brosnan is the main character for the last hour before the climax.

Random: The guy who plays Brosnan's nephew looks like a prettier version of Kylo Ren's actor. Im surprised he wasnt cast lol.

Also, this is my first time hearing a woman referred to as "slag" in movies. I almost cracked up since it makes me think of waste metal or Dinobots , not slutty women.

The "slag" actress is credited as Charlie Murphy. I guess she was a habitual line stepper.

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    edited October 14
    Shinjuku Incident is definitely one worth watching. I was kinda in the wrong mindset when I first watched it, but it was very well made. A Chinese farmer goes to Japan illegally to find his fiance, but gets stuck just trying to survive on shit wages. Afterward, he accidentally stumbles unto a Yakuza affair and eventually gets rewarded with money and turf that starts the growth of a new triad. I did not know Jackie could do drama before this film, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise.
    Post edited by NeverYouMind on

in recent years hes def strayed away from those types of movies..hes got a decent amount of more serious-ish movies over seas.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,887
    Yea in recent years. Thats not what you said before.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    (*idly wonders how many people P. Gorath has on ignore at this point*)

I stumbled across an upcoming movie yesterday that apparently comes out next Friday, but for some reason, it doesn't show up on IMDb's list of upcoming movies, which I was only looking through in the first place because I was trying to identify the name of what the upcoming movie about firefighters was after randomly thinking about Backdraft; the name of that other upcoming movie is Only the Brave by the way. I'm really confused as to why that is, especially since it otherwise shows up normally on IMDb and it's not like the movie is full of yet unestablished* actors since the one of the two main girls is the young woman who played Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool and it also has that Josh Hutcherson kid from, ugh, The Hunger Games who was more than moderately popular. Regardless, I figure I'll post the video for it given I didn't see it among the many that Geese Pants has posted recently:

It looks darkly hilarious. If I go see a movie at all this month and it's near me, then it may well be this, especially since apparently The Snowman is somehow already getting a horrible metascore over at IMDb. I normally don't pay attention to most reviews, but I can't deny that's leaving a sour taste in my mouth since it's one of the few movies I was looking forward to at all this year.

*Why does Chrome not recognize this word?

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 3,202
    edited October 14

7.5/10

I back this review as I saw the Foreigner last night.

Legit shook and pleasantly shocked at how well Jackie did in a dramatic role!! Punished Snake Jackie did not fuk around, and busted out firearms with full intent to kill.
    Which I have rarely seen him do in movies!!

Brosnan's character definitely was not villain of the week, yet was still a cold bastard!

I have to give this 8/10!

No an full on action Jackie movie, but a damn good revenge tale, political thriller movie. I would recommend this for this week viewing!

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Menat
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,270
    Just got back from seeing Foreigner.
    Wasn’t bad. Wasn’t particularly good either.

I still enjoyed it though.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

In case anyone wondered about how RT does it's scoring.

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Trailer for "24 Hours to Live"............
    Travis Conrad (Ethan Hawke) is a former elite soldier devastated over the recent tragic deaths of his wife and young son, when his old army buddy Jim Morrow (Paul Anderson) shows up with an offer he can’t refuse. Morrow now works for a powerful and highly secretive private military contractor, Red Mountain, who hires Travis for an extremely dangerous – but extremely lucrative – assassination job. Travis accepts the covert assignment, but everything goes completely wrong when he is shot and killed by an equally skilled female Interpol agent, Lin Bisset (Xu Qing) right at the moment he locates the target. But, just when we think it’s curtains for Travis, he wakes up in an operating room, his body convulsing back to life – a recipient of Red Mountain’s brand new, highly experimental medical procedure that will give him 24 more hours of life… plenty of time for Morrow to extract the location of the target, information that only Travis knows.”
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    (I still need to watch that Vox video. I also probably want to check how The Snowman is doing given it's now been a week since its release, though I guess it wait until after this weekend is done. [/note to self])

Despite the fact that THX-1183 (which I had never heard of), Clockwork Orange, and Soylent Green came on TMC last night and Psycho came on yet again today, I have been a lazy bastard and only watched two movies in the past week thus far: Kind Hearts and Coronets and, of all things, 47 Meters Down. Actually, I think that I've only watched those movies since the last time I posted because Castlevania doesn't count, though I suppose technically it sort of does.... Geez I've been lazy about movie-watching.

Anyway, given I watched 47 Meters Down first, I might as well talk about that first. I mostly just watched it on a lark because my mother, in her unfortunate tendency to have bad tastes in movies, wanted to watch it just because it was new and I figured "hey, it's free and I'm not being productive anyway" even though I don't like "shark movies" beyond Jaws; talking about "shark movies" is a post onto itself though, so I'll wait there. For a so-called "thriller", I was pretty much numb to everything that happened, in part because I was just eternally weirded out to see Mandy Moore in anything again, much less this type of movie. I will admit that the movie, for all its flaws, was better than I thought it was, in part because it's the only movie I can think of besides The Abyss that captures fully the horror of deep water by itself even sans overly aggressive predators. Obviously I am not comparing it to The Abyss in terms of overall quality otherwise, though I will also admit that the CGI in 47 Meters Down was quite well done as well, especially given its apparent budget limitations.

Kind Hearts and Coronets was by far the better movie, especially since I like dark comedies, though a combination of it being a bit of a drier dark comedy, which is fine, and my being emotionally dead inside meant that I didn't laugh as much as I might be "expected" to or as much as my mother and aunt apparently did when they watched it. My best friend recommended it, which is the only reason I ended up hearing of it just earlier this year at all, since it's apparently either his top 5 or top 6 movie. I still find that a bit weird since it's a) drier type of dark comedy, b) British, and c) rather old. Meanwhile, as far as foreign movies go, he tends to watch far more recent Japanese ones. Still, I rather enjoyed it, so I can't complain, especially since in terms of its humor it reminded me of a less bleak version of The Lobster, which I wouldn't mind watching again.

Of course, I was reminded again just today that as far as Colin Ferrell movies go, I still "need" to watch In Bruges....

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I saw Simon Pegg did this so now it's my turn. My 100 horror movies:

100. The Video Dead
    99. Ghost in the Machine
    98. City of the Living Dead
    97. Sleepaway Camp
    96. The Curse
    95. Howling II: Stirba
    94. Prom Night 3: The Last Kiss
    93. Motel Hell
    92. Cabin Fever
    91. Silent Night, Deadly Night

90. Night of the Scarecrow
    89. Hell Night
    88. Body Snatchers (1993)
    87. Amityville 3D
    86. Dolls
    85. Night of the Comet
    84. Tenebrae
    83. Howling V
    82. Leprechaun 2
    81. Maniac Cop 2

80. The Conquerer Worm
    79. Silver Bullet
    78. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    77. Wishmaster
    76. Warlock: The Armageddon
    75. The Dad Zone
    74. Halloween 5
    73. Anaconda
    72. Ghoulies II
    71. Firestarter

70. Slugs
    69. A Nightmare on Elm St. 5: The Dream Child
    68. The House by the Cemetary
    67. Children of the Corn
    66. Black Christmas
    65. Mr. Frost
    64. Inside
    63. Deep Red
    62. The Monster Squad
    61. Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest

60. The Crazies
    59. Prom Night
    58. From Dusk till Dawn
    57. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    56. Dr. Giggles
    55. People Under the Stairs
    54. The Wolf Man
    53. The Fog
    52. Subspecies
    51. Exorcist 3

50. Friday the 13th Part VI
    49. Re-Animator
    48. Army of Darkness
    47. [rec]2
    46. Creepshow
    45. Prince of Darkness
    44. Event Horizone
    43. Lord of Illusions Director's Cut
    42. Martin
    41. A Nightmare on Elm St 3: Dream Warriors

40. Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
    39. Child's Play
    38. The Hitcher
    37. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    36. Candyman
    35. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch
    34. Bride of Chucky
    33. Creature from the Black Lagoon
    32. A Nightmare on Elm St. 2: Freddy's Revenge
    31. The Lost Boys

30. Friday the 13th Part 2
    29. Day of the Dead
    28. Hellbound: Hellraiser II
    27. Alien
    26. Return of the Living Dead 3
    25. Phenomena
    24. Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
    23. Night of the Living Dead
    22. In the Mouth of Madness
    21. [rec]

20. Scream
    19. Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight
    18. Waxwork
    17. The Descent
    16. A Nightmare on Elm St.
    15. Hellraiser
    14. Martyrs
    13. The Thing
    12. Demons
    11. Suspiria

10. Night of the Demons
    9. Fright Night
    8. The Fly
    7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    6. Evil Dead 2
    5. Phantasm
    4. Return of the Living Dead
    3. The Exorcist
    2. Dawn of the Dead
    1. Halloween
    (The remake of The Ring being on TV reminds me that's one of the relatively few good remakes of a movie from another country. Too bad the same can't be said for the sequels, not that I know of what became of Rings; I imagine it bombed though. Any particular reason why it's not on the above list, @P. Gorath? Or do you just not have a very high opinion of it?

Also, is that the original The Hitcher with C. Thomas Howell or the remake with Sean Bean? I'm guessing it's the former. I would ask the same for The Fog as well...if the remake for that wasn't completely terrible and we all hadn't already made fun of it in here.)

So...I watched Life--the one with Jake Gyllenhaal, not the one with Eddie Murphy (at least, not again)--today for much the same reason that I watched 47 Meters Down: it was there because someone else had rented it. Much like that movie, it was meh like I had expected when I saw the initial trailers for it earlier this year and the only real "redeeming" qualities were the visuals, less stupidity than expected, and arguably being able to ogle Jake Gyllenhaal or one of the other actors. Those barely qualify as redeeming qualities though when Gravity did those specific types of visuals better (for the most part), stupidity should be minimized in most non-comedic movie plots where possible anyway, and there are doubtless other, better movies where you can still ogle most of the same actors, such as Southpaw, which I still want to watch (for reasons beyond ogling of course).

That said, seeing Life listed as a horror movie and a thriller movie reminds me of something that I was going to bring up when I watched 47 Meters Down, which is only listed a "thriller" movie (at least on IMDb), last week before deciding it would make my last post even more long-winded. As such, I will ask it now: Are "shark movies" somehow not horror movies (to you)?

I'm not asking that rhetorically given I argued with someone over this a bit and for some reason, that person exempts shark movies as being horror movies by default. This even though shark movies are all about exaggerating the predatory nature of sharks and their danger and demonizing them solely for the sake of (often cheap) horror.

So...any opinions on that from any of you?

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    (The remake of The Ring being on TV reminds me that's one of the relatively few good remakes of a movie from another country. Too bad the same can't be said for the sequels, not that I know of what became of Rings; I imagine it bombed though. Any particular reason why it's not on the above list, @P. Gorath? Or do you just not have a very high opinion of it?
    You know, The Ring came out just after what I would call my horror glory years, so I was never that into it. It was also a big budget studio movie, and to me horror movies were always more lowbrow, outsider affairs.
    Also, is that the original The Hitcher with C. Thomas Howell or the remake with Sean Bean? I'm guessing it's the former. I would ask the same for The Fog as well...if the remake for that wasn't completely terrible and we all hadn't already made fun of it in here.)
    Yes, the original Hitcher and original The Fog. The Hitcher is completely underrated these days and almost never brought up but it is practically a perfect movie in my eyes. The remake on the other hand I've always ranked as possibly the *worst* remake to come out of that remake-heavy time period in the early 00s. I never saw The Fog remake but the original has always been a favorite of mine, even though it's a lesser entry in Carpenter's oeuvre.

The only horror remakes from that era that I like are My Bloody Valentine, House of Wax, and Black Christmas. Most people would put the original TCM remake on there but it never really did it for me.
    That said, seeing Life listed as a horror movie and a thriller movie reminds me of something that I was going to bring up when I watched 47 Meters Down, which is only listed a "thriller" movie (at least on IMDb), last week before deciding it would make my last post even more long-winded. As such, I will ask it now: Are "shark movies" somehow not horror movies (to you)?
    Yes, they are horror movies to me - killer animals are a long and storied subgenre. I didn't see 47m Down but I did like the other recent one, The Shallows, as a guilty pleasure.