Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 894
    That is quite an extensive list. I personally never viewed about 25% of films on that list.

I am surprised to see Motel Hell on the list, as that was an amazingly quirky little gem.

The original Hitcher has an intense performance by Rutger Hauer and a pretty captivating performance by C. Thomas Howell.

I did watch the old Black Christmas and I did not think the remake recaptured its intentions, even if it was well made.

What is Children of the Corn 3 like? I watched the original and Village of the Damned, but never had a chance to check that one out.

P.S. I find disaster films more intimidating than super predator films like Jaws and the like.
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 22,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske

Starring MARGOT ROBBIE, SEBASTIAN STAN, ALLISON JANNEY Directed by CRAIG GILLESPIE Written STEVEN ROGERS

Based on the unbelievable but true events, I, TONYA is a darkly comedic tale of American figure skater, Tonya Harding, and one of the most sensational scandals in sports history. Though Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in competition, her legacy was forever defined by her association with an infamous, ill-conceived, and even more poorly executed attack on fellow Olympic competitor Nancy Kerrigan. Featuring an iconic turn by Margot Robbie as the fiery Harding, a mustachioed Sebastian Stan as her impetuous ex-husband Jeff Gillooly, a tour-de-force performance from Allison Janney as her acid-tongued mother, LaVona Golden, and an original screenplay by Steven Rogers, Craig Gillespie’s I, TONYA is an absurd, irreverent, and piercing portrayal of Harding’s life and career in all of its unchecked––and checkered––glory.

Margot's face though............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,984 mod
    (Weird. I thought I had posted in here but apparently not...and then I posted before I was even remotely finished with this post and had to delete it. Sigh.

Anyway, haha at that Lion King's cast list. It's not bad, but damn you for reminding me that this unnecessary live-action bullshit is still happening.)

Since the last time I've posted in here, I have watched three movies: Dead of Night, The Queen of Spades, and the 1974 version of Murder on the Orient Express. I was tempted to randomly watch some apparently recently restored Italian movie called Rocco and his Brothers that came on TCM around midnight this morning, but it was like 3 hours long and I have a bunch of stuff on the DVR that I need to watch still, so I didn't sadly. Still, I don't feel too bad about skipping that, especially since I watched the even longer Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles earlier this year randomly on TCM, which I enjoyed despite it intentionally being a very slow film; I also think it's first Belgian film I've watched.

Speaking of TCM, it's also how I found out about Dead of Night earlier this year, which I ended up rather enjoying but only being able to watch half of it because I made the mistake of putting it on the DVR so I could watch something else and then, like Act of Violence before it, it got deleted before I could finish it. Fortunately I was able to find it in the physical rental store I've been using as of late, and so I got to finish it, which is good because that ending segment is still really fucking good. The majority of modern "horror" movies could take a lesson from how to be actually creepy just from the third and fifth segments alone, which easily have been there own standalone movies, to say nothing of the overall framing device.

I must confess that I am a bit confused as to why it's only listed as being 77 minutes at IMDb though, especially because I vaguely recall the TCM version also being listed as similarly so short. Meanwhile, the version I rented was 103 minutes, which is a pretty substantial difference. Perhaps they cut out the intentionally amusing fourth segment just due to the mood whiplash it creates even though, again, that's blatantly the intention even in-universe. Shrug.

Meanwhile, The Queen of Spades was just a movie that randomly came with Dead of Night like how the physical copy of Act of Violence randomly came with Mystery Street. Much like Mystery Street before it, The Queen of Spades was a movie I'd never heard of it that ended up being just "okay". I'm not sure why it's listed as horror though, even with the vague supernatural elements throughout and mostly towards the end of it. It was more just a straight-forward drama driven by greed and manipulation with too much romantic focus even if the feelings involved were completely false from the side of the manipulator.

Still need to decide how I ultimately feel and what I ultimately think of Murder on the Orient Express, though I'm more certain that I liked it than I was about initially liking 300, Man of Steel, or Interstellar before deciding I disliked them.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • AzureAzure Inciteful. Joined: Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • AzureAzure Inciteful. Joined: Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
    The Damned wrote: »
    Speaking of TCM, it's also how I found out about Dead of Night earlier this year, which I ended up rather enjoying but only being able to watch half of it because I made the mistake of putting it on the DVR so I could watch something else and then, like Act of Violence before it, it got deleted before I could finish it. Fortunately I was able to find it in the physical rental store I've been using as of late, and so I got to finish it, which is good because that ending segment is still really fucking good. The majority of modern "horror" movies could take a lesson from how to be actually creepy just from the third and fifth segments alone, which easily have been there own standalone movies, to say nothing of the overall framing device.

Still need to decide how I ultimately feel and what I ultimately think of Murder on the Orient Express, though I'm more certain that I liked it than I was about initially liking 300, Man of Steel, or Interstellar before deciding I disliked them.
    I watched 'Dead of Night' recently upon your recommendation. I must say that the movie is very disjoint. There is gold there like the Mirror sequence, there is silver there like the hearse forewarning sequence and wandering into the past sequence. However, there is also garbage like the dummy sequence. The golf sequence feels out of place and is filled with inconsistency. The main sequence is interesting enough, but its execution is very poor and too much time passes between its bits to make it stick. It made me remember 'Identity' with John Cusack for some reason. Probably because strangers gather and there is a malevolent force actively seeking to destroy them.

I also remembered Mel Brook's 'High Anxiety' character because the psychiatrist completely reminded me of him. Best bits of that other film seem to have been taken from a mental institution film by Alfred Hitchcock called 'Spellbound' (1945). Apparently it also starred Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, so it had to be good. That will no doubt be the next movie I watch.

I greatly enjoyed the updated version of 'Murder on the Orient Express' and have just seen that the original casts Sean Connery, so naturally I will need to check it out when I have some time. Does it have the mustache guard and related Tomfoolery of the remake?
    Margot's face though............
    There is nothing wrong with her face...

2nd Trailer for The Greatest Showman...........
    Inspired by the imagination of P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business & tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation.

In Theaters This Christmas

Directed By Michael Gracey

Cast: Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited November 2017
    (...And now this thread is showing up as read despite not reading it since my last reply and it saved my already posted reply. Geez, RockBogart's posts getting deleted en masse fucked up things.)

So I watched the 2017 version of My Cousin Rachel and Okja this weekend basically back-to-back even though they couldn't really have been more different, only really being similar in that they both had rather brutal endings, though Okja definitely ends on a more hopeful note. To be brief for once, I overall liked both of them, which is weird in Okja's case because conspicuous CGI usually really bothers me, but the CGI in that was mostly extremely well-done, which is a good given how often an unreal thing is on the screen--we don't want another Green Lantern after all. Still, I might not have watched even having vaguely heard only good things about it because of that if my friend hadn't somewhat randomly picked it to watch instead of My Cousin Rachel.

Speaking of Okja, I learned that apparently I can almost instantly identify Steven Yuen even behind a ski mask despite neither knowing he was in the movie before his first appearance nor having watched The Walking Dead past the first season. It was...weird to learn that, especially since he has a mustache now. Speaking of weird mustaches, Okja easily has to have Jake Gyllenhaal at his most unsexy--such a sleazy mustache.

I'm still not sure how I ultimately feel about the 70s version of Murder on the Orient Express, though it does remind me that now that the weekend is over I should look up how the latest version of it has done so far.

I watched 'Dead of Night' recently upon your recommendation. I must say that the movie is very disjoint. There is gold there like the Mirror sequence, there is silver there like the hearse forewarning sequence and wandering into the past sequence. However, there is also garbage like the dummy sequence. The golf sequence feels out of place and is filled with inconsistency. The main sequence is interesting enough, but its execution is very poor and too much time passes between its bits to make it stick. It made me remember 'Identity' with John Cusack for some reason.

Unevenness is unfortunately the nature of vignettes, though I will point out that the golf sequence intentionally is out of place even in-universe because it's revealed at the end to intentionally be a joke meant to ease the main character's mind. It's understandably jarringly out of place for the first five minutes though.
    I greatly enjoyed the updated version of 'Murder on the Orient Express' and have just seen that the original casts Sean Connery, so naturally I will need to check it out when I have some time. Does it have the mustache guard and related Tomfoolery of the remake?

I don't know what you're asking, to be honest, especially since I have yet to watch the latest version. I imagine that both versions have more or less the same characters, however, and the 1970s is certainly intentionally humorous at times, even though the humor is basically restricted to snarking and wordplay.

*prepares to be blacklisted by P. Gorath*
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Well, I finally watched 'Spellbound', and while it has some charm, great acting, and is well executed sadly it comes off as more of a romanic film than a psychological drama. Unfortunately, the elements I desired from the film were mostly unique to Mel Brook's parody of Alfred Hitchcock films ('High Anxiety'). Surprisingly little of the film took place inside the mental institution. Most of the film was spent on the run by the two main protagonists.

Dr. Peterson, played by Ingrid Bergman, falls in love with a renowned psychologist named Dr. Edwards who happens to be a handsome young man assigned to take control of the Green Manors Mental Assylum. However, she soon discovers he is not in fact the renowned Dr. Edwardes, but an amnesiac involved in the man's murder. Instead of doing the rational thing as she has done all her life, she leaves Green Manors and attempts to treat him as police give chase. At one point the stop at the home of Dr. Alexander Brulov, an elderly psychology professor who is a close friend of hers. With Dr. Brulov's help the mystery of Dr. Edwardes' fate is finally revealed.

There is an unexpectedly great set of scenes with Michael Chekhov, who plays Dr. Brulov. His seeming obliviousness and warmness while genuine are completely eclipsed by his sharp intellect and ability to read people.

Overall, it was a good film, but in no way 'The Manchurian Candidate' type psychological thriller I wanted to watch.

P.S. Still need to check out 'Murder on the Orient Express'.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/407937-james-franco-and-simon-kinberg-team-up-for-multiple-man-movie

This is random lol.
    Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is developing another new X-Men spin-off movie with James Franco set to star as Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man.

Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg is attached to pen the script for the film which has Kinberg, currently in post-production on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, attached to produce.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/407937-james-franco-and-simon-kinberg-team-up-for-multiple-man-movie

This is random lol.
    Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is developing another new X-Men spin-off movie with James Franco set to star as Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man.

Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg is attached to pen the script for the film which has Kinberg, currently in post-production on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, attached to produce.

Sounds like PAD's second X-Factor run would be the basis. The first few years were excellent.

Teaser for A Quiet Place..........
    Silence is survival. Watch the teaser trailer for #AQuietPlace, starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. In theatres April 2018.

Trailer for Rampage.
    Yes..........it's based on the videogame.
    Global megastar Dwayne Johnson headlines the action adventure “Rampage,” directed by Brad Peyton. Primatologist Davis Okoye (Johnson), a man who keeps people at a distance, shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.

“Rampage” also stars Oscar nominee Naomie Harris (“Moonlight”), Malin Akerman (TV’s “Billions”), Jake Lacy (TV’s “Girls”), Joe Manganiello (TV’s “True Blood”) and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (TV’s “The Walking Dead”); as well as P.J. Byrne (“The Wolf of Wall Street”), Marley Shelton (“Solace”), Breanne Hill (“San Andreas”), Jack Quaid (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”), and Matt Gerald (TV’s “Daredevil”). Peyton directs from a screenplay by Ryan Engle and Carlton Cuse & Ryan J. Condal and Adam Sztykiel, story by Ryan Engle, based on the video game Rampage.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster OK Joined: Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    Rampage looks so bad. I can't wait.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.
    Currently Playing - Steven Universe: Attack the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - One Punch Man (Viz Media), Rick and Morty (Oni Press)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Initial D, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Law and Order: SVU, Sons of Anarchy
    edited November 2017

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 665
    Not as hype for Incredibles 2 as other movies. When the original came out it was one of the few good superhero in the era of horrible superhero movies.

Pixar was able to bring back Finding Dory very well, so this movie should at least be good. But I’m just not as excited for the Incredibles’ return as I was for Finding Dory.

From visionary director Ava DuVernay comes Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” an epic adventure based on Madeleine L’Engle’s timeless classic which takes audiences across dimensions of time and space, examining the nature of darkness versus light and, ultimately, the triumph of love. Through one girl’s transformative journey led by three celestial guides, we discover that strength comes from embracing one’s individuality and that the best way to triumph over fear is to travel by one’s own light.

Directed by Emmy winner, Oscar and Golden Globe nominee Ava DuVernay; from a screenplay by Oscar winner Jennifer Lee based upon the beloved novel by Madeleine L’Engle, “A Wrinkle in Time” stars: two-time Academy Award nominee Oprah Winfrey, Oscar and Emmy winner Reese Witherspoon, Emmy nominee Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peňa and introducing Storm Reid, with two-time Emmy winner Zach Galifianakis and Emmy nominee Chris Pine. Produced by Jim Whitaker and Catherine Hand with Doug Merrifield serving as executive producer, the film also boasts an impressive creative team featuring some of the most talented artisans working today, including: Tobias Schliessler, ASC as director of photography, Naomi Shohan as production designer, Oscar nominee Spencer Averick as film editor, two-time Academy Award nominee Paco Delgado as costume designer and four time Emmy(R) nominee Ramin Djawadi as composer.

Maybe.........

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    edited November 2017
    The standard bluray for the movie "Get out" is $5 at Best Buy until Wednesday.
    My store had a few copies even though its sold out online.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/get-out-includes-digital-copy-ultraviolet-blu-ray-dvd-2-discs-2017/5774717.p?skuId=5774717

Shyamalan's Split movie Bluray starring James McAvoy is also $5 at BB til Weds.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/split-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-2016/5723503.p?skuId=5723503

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh yeah, I still need to see Split...
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Warlock Joined: Posts: 7,675
    Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled is one of the most tense, heart-pounding movies I've ever seen. It does so much with so little. The closest parallel I can draw (since I haven't seen the original 1971 film) is Reservoir Dogs, given the incredible tension that unfolds within a single location. Having said that, The Beguiled plays with tension of a different kind. Hope you like an insane amount of visual allusions to genitalia.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling

"kurt slipped up and said the word wrestler. oops"
    --Stuart "Stu-Booty" Hayden
    (I still also "need" to watch Split. Fortunately, it seems like it's already on HBO, so perhaps I can catch it sooner rather than later. I also still need to post in here, apparently, given that I have put it off at least twice as of late.)

So, the last two movies I've watched in full at present are (still) Cake and The Edge of Seventeen. Unlike the last two movies I watched back-to-back, these had far more in common given they were slice-of-life movies, which I normally like, that I originally both skipped over, though for differing reasons. When it comes to Cake, I always thought it sounded interesting, but ended up not watching it until recently just because I have never been a fan of Jennifer Aniston; to be fair to here, it's more that Friends being overhyped and having to see her face constantly on weekly celebrity gossip magazines as half of the media invaded her tumultuous yet simultaneously non-existent love life made me sick of her. Meanwhile, The Edge of Seventeen I actually had forgotten about just because what little I remembered seeing of the trailer made it seem so cliche that it wasn't worth seeing.

I was pleasantly surprised by both of them given they turned out to be more true-to-life than the usual Hollywood and other American media cliches, especially Cake, which turned out to be a movie that I could relate to a lot more than I thought I was going to be able to do given who was headlining it. Aniston does a really good job during it to the point where it's a shame that she doesn't do dramatic roles more; so of course she didn't nominated, though awards are, again, largely a meaningless joke anyway. I'm not suddenly a fan of her just because of one good role, just like how I'm still not suddenly a fan of Amy Adams despite really liking Arrival, but I can definitely give credit where credit is due.

I didn't relate to The Edge of Seventeen nearly as much as person who recommended it, apparently, given how grating at times I found the protagonist, though that is definitely at least somewhat intentional given she is an impulsive teenager whose issues and virtual ostracized status in high school had far less to do with the the typical "ugly duck (who is beautiful all along)" and just being more realistically selfish, awkward, and desperately unsure. It was still likable overall despite that, and it was also refreshing to have an Asian male be a love interest to a main character in, well, anything American really.

Sigh. I really need to watch more (good) slice-of-life movies.

Yuna wrote: »
    Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled is one of the most tense, heart-pounding movies I've ever seen. It does so much with so little. The closest parallel I can draw (since I haven't seen the original 1971 film) is Reservoir Dogs, given the incredible tension that unfolds within a single location. Having said that, The Beguiled plays with tension of a different kind. Hope you like an insane amount of visual allusions to genitalia.

"But what type of genitalia?" he asked dispassionately.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 10,030
    Didn't like Split, but maybe I should give it a rewatch where I'm not worried about my bladder exploding from needing to pee. In any case, McAvoy's performance was insane, a massive carry and reason to watch for the movie even if you may not like what's actually happening.

Both, although vaginas get a bit of an edge. Lots of openings in this movie, with characters tentatively entering and sometimes even going in, hesitating, going out, going back in...
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling

(...Great. Now I'm picturing someone playing hokey-pokey with a vagina. [/Quentin Taratino's fetish])

So, in the great saga of my great luck, I finally tried to watch The Void last night/this morning...only to discover that apparently the particular DVD copy I have acts up 15 minutes into it. Sigh. Here's to hoping I can exchange the damn thing. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't and if the copy of Thor:Ragnarok I might go see later today spontaneously bursts into the flames.

I haven't really watched much since last post, though I did manage to finish the 18-hour or so 10-part Ken Burns's PBS series The Vietnam War in a relatively short amount of time. I thought it was very good and even-handed for the most part, especially since the Vietnamese people's opinions on the war(s) are usually utterly ignored in most instances. I must admit that I am still a little surprised to learn both just how far the incompetence of certain people, especially Westmoreland, went and how far Nixon's corruption went given how much of it I had already knew of it. It's sad, especially since we clearly haven't learned from it and still continue to treat (those) veterans like excrement until they die, after which point this country pretends to revere them solely so they can use them for moral signaling. I'll stop before I start to rant there though.

The only other thing I have watched was the entirety of Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox just because it's been coming on Syfy rather constantly ever since the 2017 movie came out in theaters. I say "entirety" because I had already watched at least half of it through bits of pieces via Youtube clips as well as being spoiled to the plot as a whole via TVTropes. It was...okay. Weirdly graphic violent for a PG-13 anything and it felt like it skipped around a bit in its compression and there was rather egregious CGI at the end, but otherwise...okay; it at least seemed to be (a lot) better than the actual comic it was based on given all the reviews and stuff I've read on it.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 10,094

Just going to leave this here
    (I just had a weird realization that Michael Fassbender has been in nothing but bad movies for at least the past couple of years. I wonder what prompted this losing streak for him.)

So, since my last post, I have watched both Thor: Ragnarok and the 2017 version of The Beguiled as I was intending; I still have been unable to watch The Void, unfortunately, since whoever has the other copy is late in returning it--of course (s)he is.

Anyway, as I posted in the Marvel thread, I more or less enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok a lot even though I could see why some people were complaining it was too comedic at times beyond the typical DCEU fanboys that try to claim those series of (largely failed) movies are more "mature" just because they're generally darker (literally) and more violently cynical and not (intentionally) comedic. That said, it was weird to see Korg and Miek reduced to mostly comedy relief characters who barely have anything in common with the characters they were based on, especially since Planet Hulk is easily my favorite Hulk comic (though that's not saying much I suppose). It was also a bit weird to see this version of Skurge be so wimpy given what little I know of his comic book version.

Still, at least Korg got to exist at all given they basically tried to unceremoniously kill (a nameless version of) that character off at the very beginning of that horrible Thor: The Dark World movie. Speaking of that movie, it was also nice that Loki didn't hijack this movie like he did that one and that Natalie Portman & her side characters were nowhere to be seen in this movie and, ostensibly, are never coming back--good riddance. Hela and Surtur were nice as villains played by good (voice) actors even if they both could have both fleshed out a bit more, but it's easily possibly they both survived, so maybe they will return in some capacity later if Thanos doesn't kill half or more of the entire universe in the Infinity War movies.

Both, although vaginas get a bit of an edge. Lots of openings in this movie, with characters tentatively entering and sometimes even going in, hesitating, going out, going back in...

Hmm...you must of have had Sex-O-Vision goggles on while watching this, @Yuna, given that while I can see what you're saying about a bunch of people entering in and out of doorways, I didn't find any of those openings particularly yonic save for the garden one, which I guess was appropriate since that's when the jealousy started to really kick into gear. Still, I similarly didn't notice anything particularly phallic in the movie unless you're talking about the columns holding up the front of the house; I was expecting something phallic to be at least (not so) subtly fondled with the way you were talking though. :(

Still, I guess I can't blame you for that given that both Colin Farrell and Nicole Kidman, on top of being good actors as per usual, are both still rather good-looking in this movie as per usual. Maybe you have a thing for (O)Irish accents and/or Southern ones given that Mr. Farrell got keep his for once and Mrs. Kidman has a surprisingly believable Southern accent without laying it overly thick as is often the trap with actors taking on (Southern) accents they don't actually speak. That and/or she and Kirsten Dunst speaking French got you hot, especially since Kirsten actually looks pretty good in this movie as well (for once). Shrug. I've never found French attractive as a language personally.

Shallow guessing aside, I overall enjoyed it, though I would have appreciated more ambiguity along the lines of at least the latest version of My Cousin Rachel, which is why I didn't enjoy the third act as much as the rest of the movie even if it made "sense". Oh well.

Anyway, all that said, I was made aware of a movie that you might enjoy if you haven't already watched it, if only from an eye-candy perspective. The 1961 version of The Children's Hour, which I had never heard of before this weekend, came on TCM on Saturday and it sounded interesting, even beyond the whole "Audrey Hepburn and a really cute, short-haired version of Shirley MacLaine being (rumored to be) in a lesbian relationship" aspect. I only recorded it on the DVR, so I have yet to watch it, but I figure you might find it...interesting if you hadn't already known of it or even watched it.

- P. G. Wodehouse

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    Hmm...you must of have had Sex-O-Vision goggles on while watching this

I literally always have Sex-O-Vision goggles on. Nicole Kidman does make me flood myself, but if I wanted to just get off on Nicole Kidman, I'd watch Eyes Wide Shut again.

Re: The Children's Hour, I haven't seen it, but I want to. There are tons of movies that fall under that category, but there you have it.
    --Jim Sterling

(Uh...@Dangerous J, I'm not sure that's the link you meant to post given there's no mention of Bryan Singer or this Bohemian Rhapsody in it.)

Fair enough. Nicole Kidman, in addition to being a great actress, has aged as phenomenally much like LEGO Batman. See also: Charlize Theron. As such, I've been vaguely glad to know that she seems to doing well post getting away from/giving up on Tom Cruise's doomed ass and getting with that American (?) country singer (?) guy--Toby Keith?

Speaking of which, it's been a while since I watched Eyes Wide Shut, which I think I did inappropriately as a kid. As such, all I vaguely remember of it was finding it immensely silly. I would have to re-watch to see if I still felt the same way, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    I quite like Eyes Wide Shut. I'm fond of Tom Cruise as an actor in general and I've had a crush on Nicole Kidman for more than twenty years, so their presence is helpful, but the movie is also just very weird, with tons of "what the fuck" moments and a plot that's fun to pick apart in that "what about this actually happened?" kind of way.
    --Jim Sterling

So, I just finished watching the 1971 version of The Beguiled and, long story short, I liked the more recent version better given that it was far more ambiguous as I already mentioned; the movie was still okay though I suppose.

Regardless, I'll put all the noticeable differences beyond the obvious cast differences in spoilers so to make this a "short" post for once:
    1. It was far more melodramatic by a good margin, including a lot more obvious focus on the Civil War itself and McBurney himself being far more obviously injured in the beginning as well as having more typical "action" sequences interspersed.
    2. A magical kitsune negro in the form of a black slave woman. So the N-word comes out a couple of times.
    3. More obvious sexual tension and tension in general between the women girls as well as more obvious flirting, which paradoxically means less seduction given all of the openly desperate lust.
    4. McBurney being painted far more blatantly as a manipulative, borderline pathological liar and from the very beginning despite less presumably getting to know him as a person. The changes also arguably make him come off as dumber given the amount of blatant jealousy flying around.
    5. Mental dialogue as well as flashbacks, the latter of which help paint the above.
    6. Miss Martha, the headmistress, coming off far more as a bitter bitch who is also vindictive. Carol, the bad girl of this version, coming off as far more of a slut than Alicia ever was in the other version. And Amy, the youngest girl, coming off as far less innocent in this version.
    7. Far more explicit talk of sexuality, including numerous mentions of rape.
    8. Less eye candy despite some weird threesome dream 70 minutes in. [/sad face]
    9. No (O)Irish accent given that McBurney in this version is just an American [/sadder face]
    10. And, finally, the wholly necessary incest and pseudo-pedophilia angles because it's the South, so of course there is.

P.S. My gods Clint Eastwood's voice is not meant for singing.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    that uncanny valley

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it looks like it could be good but alita looks so awkward with everything else around her. even the other robots look fine, just her
  • MiðgarðsormMiðgarðsorm Linguist, translator, et cetera Joined: Posts: 842
    @Phantom_Miria you just HAVE to see this.
    Cammy comes from her, after all.

This is a surprise drop...........

»Ich heiße Bastian«, sagte der Junge, »Bastian Balthasar Bux.«
    »Ziemlich kurioser Name«, knurrte der Mann, »mit diesen drei B’s.
    Na ja, dafür kannst du nichts, hast ihn dir ja nicht selbst gegeben. Ich
    heiße Karl Konrad Koreander.«
    »Das sind drei K’s«, sagte der Junge ernst.
    »Hm«, brummte der Alte, »stimmt!«

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

"Tekr ok nökkurr minna manna konu nauðga eða leiðir nauðga til skipa, sá skal øngu fyrir týna nema lífi sínu, hvárt er hann er ríkr eða óríkr"

"Detta är min hand. Jag kan röra den, blodet pulserar i den. Solen står fortfarande högt på himlen och jag, Antonius Block, spelar schack med Döden."

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
    REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
    "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"
    YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
    "So we can believe the big ones?"
    YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
    "They're not the same at all!"
    YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
    "Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"
    MY POINT EXACTLY."

かかりおったわ!
  • Phantom_MiriaPhantom_Miria Cammy <3 Joined: Posts: 647
    @Phantom_Miria you just HAVE to see this.
    Cammy comes from her, after all.

This is a surprise drop...........

I know that Cammy comes from Alita and it got me really interested in the manga, but I didn't have the chance to read it yet.
    I might check out the movie, looks interesting. Those giant digital eyes though, I guess it's supposed to make it obvious that Alita's not really human.

Thanks for letting me know!
    Put Decapre in Street Fighter V!
    Okay so the more i look at it, the more i like it

Im still gonna see this though

Ready Player One official trailer..........

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 665
    edited December 2017
    I enjoyed the book but this looks like it will take a serious departure from that plot towards the middle.

Not so subtle EDIT - Still hype. Looks like it has all the elements that I enjoyed about the book
    Post edited by dn0s on
  • PastramiPastrami Delicious Deli Meat Joined: Posts: 285
    edited December 2017
    I just saw that trailer and had a nerdgasm. I read the book a few years ago and remember liking the story as well as the pop culture references, but this just makes it 10 times cooler.
    Also, without going into naming all of the references in the trailer I just wanna say I liked the BTTF jingle thing at the end of the trailer. and ITS A GUNDAM!!!
    [♥slimey... yet satisfying♥]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file