The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

1458459460461462464»

Comments

• NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 760
    That is quite an extensive list. I personally never viewed about 25% of films on that list.

I am surprised to see Motel Hell on the list, as that was an amazingly quirky little gem.

The original Hitcher has an intense performance by Rutger Hauer and a pretty captivating performance by C. Thomas Howell.

I did watch the old Black Christmas and I did not think the remake recaptured its intentions, even if it was well made.

What is Children of the Corn 3 like? I watched the original and Village of the Damned, but never had a chance to check that one out.

P.S. I find disaster films more intimidating than super predator films like Jaws and the like.
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske

Starring MARGOT ROBBIE, SEBASTIAN STAN, ALLISON JANNEY Directed by CRAIG GILLESPIE Written STEVEN ROGERS

Based on the unbelievable but true events, I, TONYA is a darkly comedic tale of American figure skater, Tonya Harding, and one of the most sensational scandals in sports history. Though Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in competition, her legacy was forever defined by her association with an infamous, ill-conceived, and even more poorly executed attack on fellow Olympic competitor Nancy Kerrigan. Featuring an iconic turn by Margot Robbie as the fiery Harding, a mustachioed Sebastian Stan as her impetuous ex-husband Jeff Gillooly, a tour-de-force performance from Allison Janney as her acid-tongued mother, LaVona Golden, and an original screenplay by Steven Rogers, Craig Gillespie’s I, TONYA is an absurd, irreverent, and piercing portrayal of Harding’s life and career in all of its unchecked––and checkered––glory.

Margot's face though............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,907 mod
    (Weird. I thought I had posted in here but apparently not...and then I posted before I was even remotely finished with this post and had to delete it. Sigh.

Anyway, haha at that Lion King's cast list. It's not bad, but damn you for reminding me that this unnecessary live-action bullshit is still happening.)

Since the last time I've posted in here, I have watched three movies: Dead of Night, The Queen of Spades, and the 1974 version of Murder on the Orient Express. I was tempted to randomly watch some apparently recently restored Italian movie called Rocco and his Brothers that came on TCM around midnight this morning, but it was like 3 hours long and I have a bunch of stuff on the DVR that I need to watch still, so I didn't sadly. Still, I don't feel too bad about skipping that, especially since I watched the even longer Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles earlier this year randomly on TCM, which I enjoyed despite it intentionally being a very slow film; I also think it's first Belgian film I've watched.

Speaking of TCM, it's also how I found out about Dead of Night earlier this year, which I ended up rather enjoying but only being able to watch half of it because I made the mistake of putting it on the DVR so I could watch something else and then, like Act of Violence before it, it got deleted before I could finish it. Fortunately I was able to find it in the physical rental store I've been using as of late, and so I got to finish it, which is good because that ending segment is still really fucking good. The majority of modern "horror" movies could take a lesson from how to be actually creepy just from the third and fifth segments alone, which easily have been there own standalone movies, to say nothing of the overall framing device.

I must confess that I am a bit confused as to why it's only listed as being 77 minutes at IMDb though, especially because I vaguely recall the TCM version also being listed as similarly so short. Meanwhile, the version I rented was 103 minutes, which is a pretty substantial difference. Perhaps they cut out the intentionally amusing fourth segment just due to the mood whiplash it creates even though, again, that's blatantly the intention even in-universe. Shrug.

Meanwhile, The Queen of Spades was just a movie that randomly came with Dead of Night like how the physical copy of Act of Violence randomly came with Mystery Street. Much like Mystery Street before it, The Queen of Spades was a movie I'd never heard of it that ended up being just "okay". I'm not sure why it's listed as horror though, even with the vague supernatural elements throughout and mostly towards the end of it. It was more just a straight-forward drama driven by greed and manipulation with too much romantic focus even if the feelings involved were completely false from the side of the manipulator.

Still need to decide how I ultimately feel and what I ultimately think of Murder on the Orient Express, though I'm more certain that I liked it than I was about initially liking 300, Man of Steel, or Interstellar before deciding I disliked them.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • AzureAzure E-Sports is fucking retarded. Joined: Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • AzureAzure E-Sports is fucking retarded. Joined: Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
    The Damned wrote: »
    Speaking of TCM, it's also how I found out about Dead of Night earlier this year, which I ended up rather enjoying but only being able to watch half of it because I made the mistake of putting it on the DVR so I could watch something else and then, like Act of Violence before it, it got deleted before I could finish it. Fortunately I was able to find it in the physical rental store I've been using as of late, and so I got to finish it, which is good because that ending segment is still really fucking good. The majority of modern "horror" movies could take a lesson from how to be actually creepy just from the third and fifth segments alone, which easily have been there own standalone movies, to say nothing of the overall framing device.

Still need to decide how I ultimately feel and what I ultimately think of Murder on the Orient Express, though I'm more certain that I liked it than I was about initially liking 300, Man of Steel, or Interstellar before deciding I disliked them.
    I watched 'Dead of Night' recently upon your recommendation. I must say that the movie is very disjoint. There is gold there like the Mirror sequence, there is silver there like the hearse forewarning sequence and wandering into the past sequence. However, there is also garbage like the dummy sequence. The golf sequence feels out of place and is filled with inconsistency. The main sequence is interesting enough, but its execution is very poor and too much time passes between its bits to make it stick. It made me remember 'Identity' with John Cusack for some reason. Probably because strangers gather and there is a malevolent force actively seeking to destroy them.

I also remembered Mel Brook's 'High Anxiety' character because the psychiatrist completely reminded me of him. Best bits of that other film seem to have been taken from a mental institution film by Alfred Hitchcock called 'Spellbound' (1945). Apparently it also starred Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman, so it had to be good. That will no doubt be the next movie I watch.

I greatly enjoyed the updated version of 'Murder on the Orient Express' and have just seen that the original casts Sean Connery, so naturally I will need to check it out when I have some time. Does it have the mustache guard and related Tomfoolery of the remake?
    Margot's face though............
    There is nothing wrong with her face...

2nd Trailer for The Greatest Showman...........
    Inspired by the imagination of P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business & tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation.

In Theaters This Christmas

Directed By Michael Gracey

Cast: Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,907 mod
    edited November 14
    (...And now this thread is showing up as read despite not reading it since my last reply and it saved my already posted reply. Geez, RockBogart's posts getting deleted en masse fucked up things.)

So I watched the 2017 version of My Cousin Rachel and Okja this weekend basically back-to-back even though they couldn't really have been more different, only really being similar in that they both had rather brutal endings, though Okja definitely ends on a more hopeful note. To be brief for once, I overall liked both of them, which is weird in Okja's case because conspicuous CGI usually really bothers me, but the CGI in that was mostly extremely well-done, which is a good given how often an unreal thing is on the screen--we don't want another Green Lantern after all. Still, I might not have watched even having vaguely heard only good things about it because of that if my friend hadn't somewhat randomly picked it to watch instead of My Cousin Rachel.

Speaking of Okja, I learned that apparently I can almost instantly identify Steven Yuen even behind a ski mask despite neither knowing he was in the movie before his first appearance nor having watched The Walking Dead past the first season. It was...weird to learn that, especially since he has a mustache now. Speaking of weird mustaches, Okja easily has to have Jake Gyllenhaal at his most unsexy--such a sleazy mustache.

I'm still not sure how I ultimately feel about the 70s version of Murder on the Orient Express, though it does remind me that now that the weekend is over I should look up how the latest version of it has done so far.

The Damned wrote: »

I watched 'Dead of Night' recently upon your recommendation. I must say that the movie is very disjoint. There is gold there like the Mirror sequence, there is silver there like the hearse forewarning sequence and wandering into the past sequence. However, there is also garbage like the dummy sequence. The golf sequence feels out of place and is filled with inconsistency. The main sequence is interesting enough, but its execution is very poor and too much time passes between its bits to make it stick. It made me remember 'Identity' with John Cusack for some reason.

Unevenness is unfortunately the nature of vignettes, though I will point out that the golf sequence intentionally is out of place even in-universe because it's revealed at the end to intentionally be a joke meant to ease the main character's mind. It's understandably jarringly out of place for the first five minutes though.
    I greatly enjoyed the updated version of 'Murder on the Orient Express' and have just seen that the original casts Sean Connery, so naturally I will need to check it out when I have some time. Does it have the mustache guard and related Tomfoolery of the remake?

I don't know what you're asking, to be honest, especially since I have yet to watch the latest version. I imagine that both versions have more or less the same characters, however, and the 1970s is certainly intentionally humorous at times, even though the humor is basically restricted to snarking and wordplay.

*prepares to be blacklisted by P. Gorath*
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Well, I finally watched 'Spellbound', and while it has some charm, great acting, and is well executed sadly it comes off as more of a romanic film than a psychological drama. Unfortunately, the elements I desired from the film were mostly unique to Mel Brook's parody of Alfred Hitchcock films ('High Anxiety'). Surprisingly little of the film took place inside the mental institution. Most of the film was spent on the run by the two main protagonists.

Dr. Peterson, played by Ingrid Bergman, falls in love with a renowned psychologist named Dr. Edwards who happens to be a handsome young man assigned to take control of the Green Manors Mental Assylum. However, she soon discovers he is not in fact the renowned Dr. Edwardes, but an amnesiac involved in the man's murder. Instead of doing the rational thing as she has done all her life, she leaves Green Manors and attempts to treat him as police give chase. At one point the stop at the home of Dr. Alexander Brulov, an elderly psychology professor who is a close friend of hers. With Dr. Brulov's help the mystery of Dr. Edwardes' fate is finally revealed.

There is an unexpectedly great set of scenes with Michael Chekhov, who plays Dr. Brulov. His seeming obliviousness and warmness while genuine are completely eclipsed by his sharp intellect and ability to read people.

Overall, it was a good film, but in no way 'The Manchurian Candidate' type psychological thriller I wanted to watch.

P.S. Still need to check out 'Murder on the Orient Express'.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/407937-james-franco-and-simon-kinberg-team-up-for-multiple-man-movie

This is random lol.
    Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is developing another new X-Men spin-off movie with James Franco set to star as Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man.

Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg is attached to pen the script for the film which has Kinberg, currently in post-production on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, attached to produce.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/407937-james-franco-and-simon-kinberg-team-up-for-multiple-man-movie

This is random lol.
    Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is developing another new X-Men spin-off movie with James Franco set to star as Jamie Madrox, aka Multiple Man.

Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg is attached to pen the script for the film which has Kinberg, currently in post-production on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, attached to produce.

Sounds like PAD's second X-Factor run would be the basis. The first few years were excellent.

Teaser for A Quiet Place..........
    Silence is survival. Watch the teaser trailer for #AQuietPlace, starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. In theatres April 2018.

Trailer for Rampage.
    Yes..........it's based on the videogame.
    Global megastar Dwayne Johnson headlines the action adventure “Rampage,” directed by Brad Peyton. Primatologist Davis Okoye (Johnson), a man who keeps people at a distance, shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.

“Rampage” also stars Oscar nominee Naomie Harris (“Moonlight”), Malin Akerman (TV’s “Billions”), Jake Lacy (TV’s “Girls”), Joe Manganiello (TV’s “True Blood”) and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (TV’s “The Walking Dead”); as well as P.J. Byrne (“The Wolf of Wall Street”), Marley Shelton (“Solace”), Breanne Hill (“San Andreas”), Jack Quaid (“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”), and Matt Gerald (TV’s “Daredevil”). Peyton directs from a screenplay by Ryan Engle and Carlton Cuse & Ryan J. Condal and Adam Sztykiel, story by Ryan Engle, based on the video game Rampage.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,277
    Rampage looks so bad. I can't wait.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing -Steven Universe: Save the Light (PS4), Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Oni Press), TMNT (IDW)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017), We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

edited November 18

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 597
    Not as hype for Incredibles 2 as other movies. When the original came out it was one of the few good superhero in the era of horrible superhero movies.

Pixar was able to bring back Finding Dory very well, so this movie should at least be good. But I’m just not as excited for the Incredibles’ return as I was for Finding Dory.

From visionary director Ava DuVernay comes Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” an epic adventure based on Madeleine L’Engle’s timeless classic which takes audiences across dimensions of time and space, examining the nature of darkness versus light and, ultimately, the triumph of love. Through one girl’s transformative journey led by three celestial guides, we discover that strength comes from embracing one’s individuality and that the best way to triumph over fear is to travel by one’s own light.

Directed by Emmy winner, Oscar and Golden Globe nominee Ava DuVernay; from a screenplay by Oscar winner Jennifer Lee based upon the beloved novel by Madeleine L’Engle, “A Wrinkle in Time” stars: two-time Academy Award nominee Oprah Winfrey, Oscar and Emmy winner Reese Witherspoon, Emmy nominee Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peňa and introducing Storm Reid, with two-time Emmy winner Zach Galifianakis and Emmy nominee Chris Pine. Produced by Jim Whitaker and Catherine Hand with Doug Merrifield serving as executive producer, the film also boasts an impressive creative team featuring some of the most talented artisans working today, including: Tobias Schliessler, ASC as director of photography, Naomi Shohan as production designer, Oscar nominee Spencer Averick as film editor, two-time Academy Award nominee Paco Delgado as costume designer and four time Emmy(R) nominee Ramin Djawadi as composer.

Maybe.........

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 20
    The standard bluray for the movie "Get out" is $5 at Best Buy until Wednesday.
    My store had a few copies even though its sold out online.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/get-out-includes-digital-copy-ultraviolet-blu-ray-dvd-2-discs-2017/5774717.p?skuId=5774717

Shyamalan's Split movie Bluray starring James McAvoy is also $5 at BB til Weds.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/split-includes-digital-copy-blu-ray-dvd-2016/5723503.p?skuId=5723503
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh yeah, I still need to see Split...
  • YunaYuna Can I be a social justice cleric or something instead? Joined: Posts: 7,521
    Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled is one of the most tense, heart-pounding movies I've ever seen. It does so much with so little. The closest parallel I can draw (since I haven't seen the original 1971 film) is Reservoir Dogs, given the incredible tension that unfolds within a single location. Having said that, The Beguiled plays with tension of a different kind. Hope you like an insane amount of visual allusions to genitalia.
    "It's high time for intellectually honest people to call out reflexive anti-PC posturing as being-- for the most part-- exactly what it is: a cowardly rhetorical defense mechanism employed by bullies who lack the courage of their own convictions. If you want to be a jerk? Fine. Be a jerk. But don't pretend like you're storming the gates of Mordor when all you're doing is spitting off the overpass."
    --Bob Chipman