The SRK Movie Fanatic Thread (REVIEWS, QUESTIONS, RANTS, STARS...ETC.) EVERYTHING!!!

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Nothing scary in that movie that hasn't been done to death before, itshould have been more violent rather than the quick edits and loud bangs. The kid's banter was great but (not seen the original) felt so out of place at times. Had a really annoying couple in mine talking as well.

I saw IT with a friend and my 15 year old female cousin who said nothing in the film scared her. It had a few memorable moments but I thought the film dragged on longer than it should have and the storyline wasn't that consistent. I didn't find the banter between the kids that funny and I thought it focused way too much on the female character.

Cary Fukunaga was the original director who was replaced halfway through production because of creative differences with Warner Brothers, basically his version of IT was considered far too violent and sexually explicit. Cary was given the chance to tone it down but he decided not to. Also the budget of the movie was slashed by millions which probably explains the quality of the CGI in some scenes, especially the first one.

Fukunaga's version would have been a lot closer to the book, and even more graphic in some scenes.

Here are just a few scenes in Fukunaga's script that were removed from the final script:
    The script opens with the death of Georgie Denbrough, but unlike previous versions of the story, here we see the gruesome murder in full from the window of an old woman across the road. Instead of just ripping his arm off, “Georgie’s rag doll body [is] flung left and right as Pennywise feeds on him and tries to pull him through the metal grate into the sewer.” That's pretty tame however compared to what the Dancing Clown does next.

Stanley Uris is the first member of the Losers' Club to encounter Pennywise in this version of the script. However, instead of taking the form of dead children, this entity adopts a far fouler shape that makes a mockery of Stan's religion while he rehearses for his forthcoming Bar Mitzvah. At some point, Stan sneaks away to urinate, only to discover a naked woman rising from a pool of menstrual blood. In this sacrilegious form, IT tries to tempt Stan sexually, even masturbating in front of him, only for audiences to then discover that she's bleeding and rotting from behind. The closest parallel to this scene that can be found in the book comes when Pennywise takes on the form of a leper and offers to give Eddie Kaspbrak oral sex, but Fukunaga's version of this moment is far more visceral.

Didn't think it could get any worse? Fukunaga's draft takes an even darker turn soon after this when Pennywise's influence reaches the home of Beverley Marsh. In Stephen King's book, it's heavily implied that the girl's father is sexually attracted to her and that's partly why he abuses Beverley. Fukunaga doesn't hold back here though, explicitly depicting a scene where Beverley's father tries to rape her while she's dressing up for Stan’s Bar Mitzvah.

There was also allegedly one scene in the original script in which the bully character Henry Bowers raped a Hanlon sheep and masturbated onto a birthday cake.

This is what happens when you let Hollywood fuck up a movie. Fukunaga's movie would have been way better. But no, it's too violent so it won't make as much money so we have to do something else. Why even try to make a movie out of a Stephen King book if you're going to lame it down? It's a fucking insult to the source material.

If you dont tone down stephen king novels they basically become X rated so no one would go

The movie is pretty good. It has flaws and such but it's a horror movie and horror is a pretty subjective genre. My heart was racing the whole movie, legitamately scared

theres def ways you could do those scenes without being obvious. they could have happened still if they put some actual brain power...like the masturbating scene could easily been done by implying certain things without obviously showing.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,659
    maxx wrote: »
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Nothing scary in that movie that hasn't been done to death before, itshould have been more violent rather than the quick edits and loud bangs. The kid's banter was great but (not seen the original) felt so out of place at times. Had a really annoying couple in mine talking as well.

I saw IT with a friend and my 15 year old female cousin who said nothing in the film scared her. It had a few memorable moments but I thought the film dragged on longer than it should have and the storyline wasn't that consistent. I didn't find the banter between the kids that funny and I thought it focused way too much on the female character.

Cary Fukunaga was the original director who was replaced halfway through production because of creative differences with Warner Brothers, basically his version of IT was considered far too violent and sexually explicit. Cary was given the chance to tone it down but he decided not to. Also the budget of the movie was slashed by millions which probably explains the quality of the CGI in some scenes, especially the first one.

Fukunaga's version would have been a lot closer to the book, and even more graphic in some scenes.

Here are just a few scenes in Fukunaga's script that were removed from the final script:
    The script opens with the death of Georgie Denbrough, but unlike previous versions of the story, here we see the gruesome murder in full from the window of an old woman across the road. Instead of just ripping his arm off, “Georgie’s rag doll body [is] flung left and right as Pennywise feeds on him and tries to pull him through the metal grate into the sewer.” That's pretty tame however compared to what the Dancing Clown does next.

Stanley Uris is the first member of the Losers' Club to encounter Pennywise in this version of the script. However, instead of taking the form of dead children, this entity adopts a far fouler shape that makes a mockery of Stan's religion while he rehearses for his forthcoming Bar Mitzvah. At some point, Stan sneaks away to urinate, only to discover a naked woman rising from a pool of menstrual blood. In this sacrilegious form, IT tries to tempt Stan sexually, even masturbating in front of him, only for audiences to then discover that she's bleeding and rotting from behind. The closest parallel to this scene that can be found in the book comes when Pennywise takes on the form of a leper and offers to give Eddie Kaspbrak oral sex, but Fukunaga's version of this moment is far more visceral.

Didn't think it could get any worse? Fukunaga's draft takes an even darker turn soon after this when Pennywise's influence reaches the home of Beverley Marsh. In Stephen King's book, it's heavily implied that the girl's father is sexually attracted to her and that's partly why he abuses Beverley. Fukunaga doesn't hold back here though, explicitly depicting a scene where Beverley's father tries to rape her while she's dressing up for Stan’s Bar Mitzvah.

There was also allegedly one scene in the original script in which the bully character Henry Bowers raped a Hanlon sheep and masturbated onto a birthday cake.

This is what happens when you let Hollywood fuck up a movie. Fukunaga's movie would have been way better. But no, it's too violent so it won't make as much money so we have to do something else. Why even try to make a movie out of a Stephen King book if you're going to lame it down? It's a fucking insult to the source material.

If you dont tone down stephen king novels they basically become X rated so no one would go

The movie is pretty good. It has flaws and such but it's a horror movie and horror is a pretty subjective genre. My heart was racing the whole movie, legitamately scared

theres def ways you could do those scenes without being obvious. they could have happened still if they put some actual brain power...like the masturbating scene could easily been done by implying certain things without obviously showing.

Yes, a masturbation scene with 12 year olds would go over so well in todays society
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 709
    I can see why they made those changes, seeing as the director's vision was lewd compared to the original work. If anything this discussion has made me want to read Stephen King's 'It'.

I watched Casablanca and it has a lot of memorable scenes, but it does not quite edge out 'The Maltese Falcon' even if it is much better than 'The Big Sleep'. The main reason for this is that the way Bogart plays it straight does not always fit his role in this picture. Some situations call for a bit of humor or blowing off steam, but he plays his character so seriously in those scenes that it is hard to sympathize with him. I also disagree about the movie being a downer. The whole experience gives Rick closure and puts a lot of good people that had the odds stacked against them in a better place. It makes sense that there is so much diversity as Casablanca was one of the major hubs for refugees from the Nazi regime as the movie explains at the beginning.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,778
    edited September 16

This review highlights all the problems with IT, just like GoTG nostalgia has a power affect on perception of a good movie.
    Post edited by The Furious One on
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,585
    GotG was a good movie tho...
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • GraphicGraphic Waifu Fighter V Joined: Posts: 658
    Saw It tonight, I thought it was a good movie that did the story justice. The plot paints a good background to the history of It and there was not a lot of redundancy when each kid had their It experience. I was worried that the movie would drag on about those parts, but the plot moved through that well. I enjoyed this more than Annabelle: Creation and IMO It was a scarier movie.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,041
    I can see why they made those changes, seeing as the director's vision was lewd compared to the original work. If anything this discussion has made me want to read Stephen King's 'It'.

I watched Casablanca and it has a lot of memorable scenes, but it does not quite edge out 'The Maltese Falcon' even if it is much better than 'The Big Sleep'. The main reason for this is that the way Bogart plays it straight does not always fit his role in this picture. Some situations call for a bit of humor or blowing off steam, but he plays his character so seriously in those scenes that it is hard to sympathize with him. I also disagree about the movie being a downer. The whole experience gives Rick closure and puts a lot of good people that had the odds stacked against them in a better place. It makes sense that there is so much diversity as Casablanca was one of the major hubs for refugees from the Nazi regime as the movie explains at the beginning.

They didn't show that scene(s) in the 1990 version either.

On a side note. Freddy VS Pennywise. Using nightmares VS using nightmares. Would be interesting to see...

Freddy: Turtles? Ahhh, you fear turtles... Hahahahha

H3O is coming out next year. So a Halloween movie every 20 years? At least the Halloween movies aren't reboots. Michael Myers would own Freddy and Jason for free...

Guess the Undertaker character from WWE is loosely based off of a cross between a T1000 (Robert Patrick version) and Myers from Halloween
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,490
    I liked It. Honestly, though, Pennywise didn't scare me anywhere near as much as that bully kid who was pulling knives on people. Fucking hell.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman

"It's a male myth about feminists that we hate sex."
    --Maude Lebowski
    edited September 19
    Yuna wrote: »
    I liked It. Honestly, though, Pennywise didn't scare me anywhere near as much as that bully kid who was pulling knives on people. Fucking hell.

right? that was the real horror show.

also...can someone explain more about the chubby kid and the girl. does he really get ignored like that in the book? dude literally saved the girl and brought her back to life and she jumps on stuttering dick?
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

They didn't show that scene(s) in the 1990 version either.

On a side note. Freddy VS Pennywise. Using nightmares VS using nightmares. Would be interesting to see...

Freddy: Turtles? Ahhh, you fear turtles... Hahahahha

H3O is coming out next year. So a Halloween movie every 20 years? At least the Halloween movies aren't reboots. Michael Myers would own Freddy and Jason for free...

Guess the Undertaker character from WWE is loosely based off of a cross between a T1000 (Robert Patrick version) and Myers from Halloween

no the undertaker predates terminator 2 by a year. and it was probably an idea being worked on months-to a year prior to his debut in november 1990

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,422
    Michael Myers is dead, am guessing his successor will be his nephew, you know that white dude with the slant eyes bitches were going crazy about for a minute.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,041
    Undertaker then had attributes from 1984 terminator maybe...
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,250
    edited September 20

Not feeling this Lara. Lara should have better face and tits than that.

The action looks great though. Has potential to be a decent video game movie.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Jumanji 2 2nd trailer.........
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,911
    I got a chance to go to the movie theater after forever. Anything good or worth watching right now?
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
    im interested in the rebooted tomb raider. that comment section is misogyny trash of epic proportions. jeezus.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,377
    edited September 21
    Eh. I'll watch Tomb Raider when it comes out on Blu- Ray. My expectations for it are at best it's gonna be like Jolies first movie. Not enough to get me to waste money for a ticket.

Friends of mine saw IT and liked it. Gonna go ahead and wait on that Blue- Ray and hope for the director's cut. No point spending money on it now that my friends went without me on the one week I have overtime.

Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker

ISLE OF DOGS opens in theaters March 23, 2018.

ISLE OF DOGS tells the story of ATARI KOBAYASHI, 12-year-old ward to corrupt Mayor Kobayashi. When, by Executive Decree, all the canine pets of Megasaki City are exiled to a vast garbage-dump called Trash Island, Atari sets off alone in a miniature Junior-Turbo Prop and flies across the river in search of his bodyguard-dog, Spots. There, with the assistance of a pack of newly-found mongrel friends, he begins an epic journey that will decide the fate and future of the entire Prefecture.

It looks interesting...........

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 21
    Xvideos wrote: »

Not feeling this Lara. Lara should have better face and tits than that.

The action looks great though. Has potential to be a decent video game movie.

is there shark punching? otherwise not watching :coffee:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,490
    I'll go see it. I have very positive memories of the first Tomb Raider film with Angelina Jolie. Specifically, I have two positive memories: the left one and the right one.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman

"It's a male myth about feminists that we hate sex."
    --Maude Lebowski
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,138 admin
    I enjoyed Chris Barrie landing a major movie role. :sad:

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• HyperGearHyperGear Joined: Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Had no idea Master Chief was really a black dude

bqASDfvh.jpg

Gotti Trailer..........
    OTTI follows infamous crime boss John Gotti’s (John Travolta) rise to become the “Teflon Don” of the Gambino Crime Family in New York City. Spanning three decades and recounted by his son John Jr. (Spencer Lofranco), GOTTI examines Gotti’s tumultuous life as he and his wife (Kelly Preston) attempt to hold the family together amongst tragedy and multiple prison sentences. GOTTI is a crime drama directed by Kevin Connolly and written by Leo Rossi and Lem Dobbs. The film will be released by Lionsgate Premiere in theaters and on demand on December 15, 2017.

All the Money in the World Trailer.........
    ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD follows the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer) and the desperate attempt by his devoted mother Gail (Michelle Williams) to convince his billionaire grandfather (Kevin Spacey) to pay the ransom. When Getty Sr. refuses, Gail attempts to sway him as her son’s captors become increasingly volatile and brutal. With her son’s life in the balance, Gail and Getty’s advisor (Mark Wahlberg) become unlikely allies in the race against time that ultimately reveals the true and lasting value of love over money.
    Directed by: Ridley Scott
    Cast: Michelle Williams, Kevin Spacey, and Mark Wahlberg, Romain Duris, Charlie Plummer, Timothy Hutton

Annihilation teaser............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,714
    Interesting video essay on what CG animation did to storytelling.

PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
    John Gotti... John Trovolta...

I might check out 'All the Money in the World' for Kevin Spacey and Mark Wahlberg.
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,250
    edited September 28
    He is actually an alien disguised as a dude playing another dude.
    Cool 15 minute animated Blade Runner Prologue directed by Shinichiro Watanabe. I liked it.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,422
    oh shit, perfect copy up now for War for the Planet of the Darkies and so far so good :tup:
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Planet of darkies :coffee:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,138 admin
    edited October 6
    We have a sweet ass screening room at work, so for a charity event they took my copy of Blade Runner: Final Cut and did a showing of it. They even paid the "public screening" fee to be sure it was legit. :wtf: I'm impressed how good Blu-Ray looks on a cinema-size screen.

I'm hype for 2049.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

this based on a real story?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Preppy wrote: »
    We have a sweet ass screening room at work, so for a charity event they took my copy of Blade Runner: Final Cut and did a showing of it. They even paid the "public screening" fee to be sure it was legit. :wtf: I'm impressed how good Blu-Ray looks on a cinema-size screen.

I'm hype for 2049.
    I am so hype for 2049 I can't wait to see it.

Meet the new Jack Ryan.............

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    Not sure I can accept Jim as Jack Ryan.
    lol he looks so skinny

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,765 mod
    edited October 7
    (Well, so much for ever getting to see Wind River in theaters. Sigh.)

At least October seems to be more promising for movies in general. I honestly can't remember anything good that came out last month. This year's been relatively sparse as far as worthwhile mainstream go really.

While I don't personally care to see Blade Runner 2049 even if it's good given I still have yet to watch the original, both The Snowman and even Happy Death Day look like they have the potential to actually (also) be good. We will see if perpetual penury keeps from seeing them though--probably.

Preppy wrote: »
    I enjoyed Chris Barrie landing a major movie role. :sad:

I'm sure you did. [/nonsensical insinuation]
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 561
    Absolutely loved Blade Runner 2049. Really nailed all its themes. Really having a hard time with many flaws beyond its length. Not bad for me, but the typical moviegoer will be bored.