Most players in Tech Talk are familiar with the works of Eugene Andruszczenko (aka 32Teeth), the creator of the highly programmable Sparky PWM RGB LED Controller. With his blessing to work with this open source project, and the help of Paradise Arcade
, we now offering a great version of this product at Focusattack.com. It is shipping today and worldwide for just $32.95.
Purchase the Sparky RGB LED Controller at focusattack.com
What is the Sparky?
For those who aren't familiar with the Sparky RGB LED Controller is a programmable RGB LED companion light up activation controller for pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks. The controller allows you to create unlimited color combinations through varying levels of red green and blue, along with changing colors upon a combination of button press. It allows you to program lighting patterns either manually through specific button combinations, or via the "Configurator" - a multi-platform application that gives you total control over your color transitions.
Sparky PWM Features
Among other features the Sparky PWM has the following:
- Ability to display the full spectrum of color through RGB LEDs
- Support for 6 or 8 button configurations
- Ability to map color to specific buttons or button combinations (ie assign Red to Light Punch, Blue to Medium Kick, or Orange to Focus Attack (MP+MK))
While the Sparky PWM itself isn't new, the redesigned Sparky comes with 2 wiring harnesses to ease installation across buttons:
- 5-wire RGB and ground harness
- 16-wire power and .110 quick disconnect harness for buttons
To make the installation a solder-less experience, we currently include 34 wiring connectors. The connectors allow you to insert wires into the ports to replicate an electrical connection. Four per button are provided, plus one for each of the power connections for total of 34 connectors (8 x 4 plus 2, or 34 total).
Programming the Sparky PWM
The "Configurator" is a Windows and Mac OS X compatible application that interfaces with your joystick's LEDs through its USB port. Once connected, the application lets you choose your schema (button or button combination), then choose the color you want. You can also choose fade/fade out options. Once completed, the action is displayed on your button LED directly on your controller. You can download it on the Sparky website.
So what is the point of this thread?
This thread is meant to address questions you might have regarding the redesigned Sparky PWM, plus how to program your Sparky to it's full potential. Several experienced builders will visit the thread to post notes, videos and answer some questions regarding both units. These people include
- 32Teeth - creator of the original Sparky PWM LED Controller has offered to post helpful notes once he gets the new Sparky.
- armi0024 - founder of Paradise Arcade Shop has expertise in many types of LED installs and components.
- Nerrage - well known and respected member of SRK's Tech Talk team and founder of the non-profit organization Sticks for Joy.
And of course, you. We definitely welcome any feedback and helpful answers that you can give to players that ask questions here. We hope that this thread may complement the existing Sparky PWM thread here on SRK.
Related YouTube playlists
Original Sparky RGB LED Controller Thread on SRK
Thanks for reading!