Official FA Sparky PWM RGB LED Controller Thread

Comments

• jellgetajellgeta Joined: Posts: 8
    That seems to be the case. thanks that fixed it
    Let's play some SF4 AE 2012 matches on Xbox: Lv0 Magikarp
  • ComBakComBak ........ Joined: Posts: 643
    Hi I just got my Sparky PWM SMD boards in from FocusAttack and was trying to change the program with Ardunio, but I keep getting and Error Compiling message. How do I fix that?
    SCV: Aeon, Astaroth, Dampierre
    KTB Minion/Technician
    KTB Stick Designer and Modder.
  • 32teeth32teeth Joined: Posts: 831
    Hi I just got my Sparky PWM SMD boards in from FocusAttack and was trying to change the program with Ardunio, but I keep getting and Error Compiling message. How do I fix that?

You will need to provide a bit more information.

1. What version of the sparky code did you grab from the svn?
    2. What version of the arduino IDE are you using 1.0 or 0.22?
    3. Are you sure you have all the files?
    4. What is the error? It should be quite clear at the bottom of the IDE
    Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
  • ComBakComBak ........ Joined: Posts: 643
    1. I grabbed 2.0(Paradise Arcade) and 3.0.
    2. I am using Ardunio IDE 1.0.
    3. I'm pretty sure I have all the files. Downloaded Win32 and 64 Sparky 3.0 config. Went to the Ardunio Files and copied the code for each link in ardunio on its own separate tab.
    4. 2.0 is giving me this type of error:

In file included from Sparky2_0Paradise.cpp:14:
    /SparkyClass.h:7:22: error: WProgram.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from Sparky2_0Paradise.cpp:14:
    SparkyClass.h:21: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
    SparkyClass.h:22: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
    SparkyClass.h:75: error: 'byte' does not name a type
    Sparky2_0Paradise.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
    Sparky2_0Paradise:38: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'waiting'
    Sparky2_0Paradise:42: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'waiting'
    Sparky2_0Paradise:46: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'run'
    Sparky2_0Paradise:47: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'run'

3.0 is working but I'm having a hard time using the program.

Sorry about not putting more info out there.
    SCV: Aeon, Astaroth, Dampierre
    KTB Minion/Technician
    KTB Stick Designer and Modder.
  • GLORYBE26ODGLORYBE26OD Joined: Posts: 445
    New qustion for you guru's. Lets say I had a fightstick that I wanted to have LED control over 14 buttons instead of 8. Could I do it with one sparky jr or maybe two? Go ahead and PM me if you have any good ideas.
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭
    is it a 2 player joystick?
    either way i think you're better off with 2, otherwise you would double up on buttons lighting up
    So I it is possible. Good. Now I have to decide if I want to go with the easy or the more complicated sollution. Now I have to get another sparky jr.
  • lovetronlovetron Joined: Posts: 2
    HELP! just got my Sparky PWM from FocusAttack and the only output i get is K1+K2+K3 flash red then green on boot, then nothing... If a plug it into my FTDI it will reset and do the same again. Is there no program on the sparky? Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

I have finally resolved the issue with the FTDI breakout board. The pc was assigning COM3 as a virtual com port ok, but i was also using usb from the pc to power the stick to check the inputs.
    The 2 usb ports had some kind of conflict which was blocking communications to the sparky, I'm using windows7 and the FTDI was connected directly onto the sparky. All is good now though, I was beginning to doubt my wiring... Just thought I'd share this incase anyone experiences similar problems.

Special thanks to 32Teeth & purplearms for the support and for developing such great products!! and to focusattack.com for supplying the install kit. cheers guys!
  • VickoVicko Vegas Modder Extraordinaire! Joined: Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭
    Hey not sure if this is a future plan but on the configurator there's an effects tab that doesn't work for me. Is there a presentation mode a la toodles fgwidget or similar?
    Hey not sure if this is a future plan but on the configurator there's an effects tab that doesn't work for me. Is there a presentation mode a la toodles fgwidget or similar?

true, there is a effects tab on the configurator.
    you cannot currently click on it as it is so in the application code.

V3.0 of the configurator was in development (work in progress) when focusattack released their Sparky.
    So in response to that and for user satisfaction and capabilities to at least change the colorings of the schema, I promoted V3.0 from alpha to release. The efforts were put into the functionality of the app for PC/Linux/Mac and the Effects tab was left in there.

Please rest assured that work has been ongoing on the effects portion, and will eventually be released. it will be V3.1

hope that clears things up.
    Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
  • DangleDangle Joined: Posts: 5
    I go this PCB a week or so ago and i've been trying to wire it through a ps3/pc cthulhu for power. i have an interesting issue though, if i wire a button up to it, put the power line to the cthulhu VCC and the ground wire to a cthulhu ground port, if i put power to the cthulhu, the sparky configurator freezes when i try to load the settings for about 5 minutes, and then stays at the com port select screen, if i unplug power from the cthulhu it loads up the settings instantly. i have a picture below with notes on the wires. i know the power and ground wires look backwards but the harness came with the black being ground and red being power for some reason.

Edit: i'll make this short because i'm a moron, i was plugging the cthulhu into my pc along with the ftdi and was just cycling way too much power, i'm an idiot.23h4uty.jpg
  • NerrageNerrage STICKS for JOY Joined: Posts: 3,349
    Paradise Arcade / FocusAttack Sparky Jr review
    part three (connecting, uploading, editing and the configurator)

welcome to part three of the Sparky Jr review from Paradise Arcade / FocusAttaack

In this review, i will illustrate the manners in which you would:
    1. connect and upload the new Sparky Jr v3.0 sketch to your Sparky board
    2. connect and edit you config via the configurator
    What you will need

1. An FTDI Breakout (Sparkfun, Modern Device, SparkPlug, FTDI Cable)
    2. A Six pin wire harness (if not using an FTDI Cable)
    3. A Sparky Jr (of course)
    4. Download the Sparky Jr 3.0 program from the SVN repository. You WILL need the folder and all it's files.
    5. Download the Sparky Jr 3.0 configurator from the Sparky Jr site downloads section

In this example i use an SparkPlug to connect to the Sparky Jr.
    You can use any of the devices listed in #1 of the list above

Connecting the Sparky Jr to the SparkPlug

Step 1:
    Mate the SparkPlug to the Sparky Jr

in the image above, you will notice my 'ghetto rig' for this review.
    The SparkPlug is connected to the Sparky Jr using the 6 pin wire harness. Make sure you connect it properly. The BLK on the Sparky Jr silk 6 pin header goes to GND on the SparkPlug

The 'ghetto rig' features a 10mm Diffused RGB LED (Common Anode). The RGB legs are connected appropriately to the Red Bue and Green signals on the Sparky Jr. The Anode leg is connected to K3 on the LED header row of the Sparky

in the image above, i put a folded piece of paper over the RGB LED simply for the reason that it was white washing the pictures without it.

Step 2: Uploading the new Sparky Jr program
    With all the connections in place, you are ready to upload the Sparky Jr from the Arduino IDE

Make sure you set your Board to "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5V, 16 MHz) w/ ATmega328" from the Tools > Board menu

Click the upload button and let the Arduino IDE do the rest. You will see the TX/RX lights on your FTDI device going bananas for a few seconds while it uploads.

Once it is complete, the Sparky Jr 3.0 program will run. You will see your first three kicks go Red, Yellow, Green. This is normal operation for Mode Selection.

Step 3: Connecting and editing from the configurator
    Yay, you have made it this far.

Now, let's go find the Sparky Jr Configurator that you downloaded from the What you need section above.

1. Run the configurator
    2. Follow the onscreen instructions
    3. Do you damage
    4. Watch this video

Heya 32teeth,

I just wired up my Sparky PWM SMD for FA, and I'm about to make a video on how to install, but I wanted to get v3.0 onto it, but I can't download the files from the SVN that you linked in your post. I also can't download the v 2.0 configurator for Mac or Windows X_X.
    all the downloads work properly from here
    http://sparky.32teeth.org/downloads.html

additionally, if you are on a PC, you can download Tortoise SVN and Check Out the whole repository. This way it will keep you up to date.
    all the downloads work properly from here
    http://sparky.32teeth.org/downloads.html

additionally, if you are on a PC, you can download Tortoise SVN and Check Out the whole repository. This way it will keep you up to date.
    Are you certain? I click for the v 2.0 Mac configurator and I get
    Screenshot2012-01-23at94412AM.png

As for the SVN files, I have them now, and I'm ready to upload them, but it's not picking up my Sparky on any of my COM ports, as in the FTDI isn't showing up, though I installed the drivers. I'll keep going, though, and check back later.
    As for the SVN files, I have them now, and I'm ready to upload them, but it's not picking up my Sparky on any of my COM ports, as in the FTDI isn't showing up, though I installed the drivers. I'll keep going, though, and check back later.

The downloads section has been fixed.
    As per the FTDI not showing up, have you been able to install the drivers? They are available through the Arduino IDE as well as through the FTDI chip site
    The downloads section has been fixed.
    As per the FTDI not showing up, have you been able to install the drivers? They are available through the Arduino IDE as well as through the FTDI chip site
    Yeah, I installed the VCP drivers direct from the FTDI Chip website.

I'm just getting my COM ports to be
    /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
    /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
    /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem
    /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem

But those are the same COM ports as if I had not plugged in the device.

Thanks for fixing the downloads section. Sorry for the hassle for something that I'm probably missing that's braindead easy to fix >_>.
    Yeah, I installed the VCP drivers direct from the FTDI Chip website.

I'm just getting my COM ports to be
    /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
    /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
    /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem
    /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem

But those are the same COM ports as if I had not plugged in the device.

Thanks for fixing the downloads section. Sorry for the hassle for something that I'm probably missing that's braindead easy to fix >_>.

Ah, judging by those ports, you are on a Mac!

If you go to 'about this Mac' by clicking the Apple you can go under 'more info' and check if it shows up there.
    Not sure, but there may be a conflict. I will check when I get in to the office
    Ah, judging by those ports, you are on a Mac!

If you go to 'about this Mac' by clicking the Apple you can go under 'more info' and check if it shows up there.
    Not sure, but there may be a conflict. I will check when I get in to the office
    Good eye. Where in the 'about this Mac'? Under the bluetooth and serial ports?

Sorry for all the trouble. I just have no idea what I'm doing wrong >_<.
  • BrosnanBrosnan Joined: Posts: 60
    Still hoping to see a full TE install...

Also curious what the best strategy is for mounting the FTDI breakout into the wire compartment. I imagine you have to cut a hole somehow and get the USB port secured in there.

Also curious what the best strategy is for mounting the FTDI breakout into the wire compartment. I imagine you have to cut a hole somehow and get the USB port secured in there.
    The install is finished. I'm just trying to get the above worked out with 32teeth to show how to customize your color scheme to be added into the video.

Personally, if I wanted easily swappable programming, I'd leave the FTDI breakout inside, and connect it to a USB hub with the arcade stick's PCB inside of the stick, then you can always customize it from the same USB that connects your stick to the console. But, that means getting a breakout that can't be reused and getting a USB hub, so, probably not the most economical option.
    Good eye. Where in the 'about this Mac'? Under the bluetooth and serial ports?

Sorry for all the trouble. I just have no idea what I'm doing wrong >_<.

Click the Apple (top left)
    Click 'About This Mac'
    Click 'More Info...'
    Click 'System Report'
    Under 'Hardware' you will see a USB as well as Serial-ATA

I put it in the corner closest to the center of the case
    6150196514_3e56ae11c4_z.jpg
    Click the Apple (top left)
    Click 'About This Mac'
    Click 'More Info...'
    Click 'System Report'
    Under 'Hardware' you will see a USB as well as Serial-ATA
    Yeah, under both of those, nothing had changed on either side when I plugged the Sparky in via FTDI. I was sure to quit and re-open between each check, since I had to quit for it to show if my USB mouse was connected or not.

That said, I'll boot up Windows and see what I can do with that.
    Yeah, under both of those, nothing had changed on either side when I plugged the Sparky in via FTDI. I was sure to quit and re-open between each check, since I had to quit for it to show if my USB mouse was connected or not.

That said, I'll boot up Windows and see what I can do with that.

Command+R refreshes the information
    The install is finished. I'm just trying to get the above worked out with 32teeth to show how to customize your color scheme to be added into the video.

Personally, if I wanted easily swappable programming, I'd leave the FTDI breakout inside, and connect it to a USB hub with the arcade stick's PCB inside of the stick, then you can always customize it from the same USB that connects your stick to the console. But, that means getting a breakout that can't be reused and getting a USB hub, so, probably not the most economical option.
    Makes sense to me, although I wouldn't know how to do that on my own, since this is my first project dealing with electrical engineering type stuff.
    Install video is now available.
    Exactly what I needed. Thank you!
  • bhofbhof Joined: Posts: 13
    Hey sorry if this has been covered but i couldnt see it here. Can the sparky also activate led balltops on stick movement. Thanks
    Hey sorry if this has been covered but i couldnt see it here. Can the sparky also activate led balltops on stick movement. Thanks
    No, Sparky is only for control of the buttons.
  • DangleDangle Joined: Posts: 5
    So i finally got the uila RGB lights installed and an FA sparky, when i load up the configurator everything is recognized, but on the boot process it just lights up red, and stays that way, the colors dont go from red to green to white. What could possibly be the problem?

edit: for extra information, i have it plugged in through a homemade 6 pin harness connected to an ftdi breakout.

one more edit: i attempted to upgrade the arduino on it as well just to see if maybe there was a glitch on my chip and i get the following errors:
    In file included from Sparky.cpp:13:
    /SparkyClass.h:7:22: error: WProgram.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from Sparky.cpp:13:
    SparkyClass.h:21: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
    SparkyClass.h:22: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
    SparkyClass.h:75: error: 'byte' does not name a type
    Sparky.cpp: In function 'void loop()':
    Sparky:37: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'waiting'
    Sparky:41: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'waiting'
    Sparky:45: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'run'
    Sparky:46: error: 'class SparkyClass' has no member named 'run'
  • xruizaxruiza Doof~! Joined: Posts: 14
    What would be the best way to add an RGB LED joystick mod with this? Is it to get another sparky or is there a cheaper alternative(That still retains the rgb ability)?
    What would be the best way to add an RGB LED joystick mod with this? Is it to get another sparky or is there a cheaper alternative(That still retains the rgb ability)?
    You could get an RGB LED installed into your joystick, common anode only.

Connect the common anode to VCC, same as the red short wire of the Sparky, which should be connected to the red USB wire of your stick.

Then, connect the RGB with the rest of the RGB like the rest of the buttons.

What this will do will cause your joystick to light up as the same color that your buttons light up to be. Moving the joystick, however, won't change the colors at all.
  • CloudChaser071CloudChaser071 Stars n Stripes Forever! Joined: Posts: 70
    So I got a problem :(

More specifically, my buttons aren't lighting up. I have no idea what's going on. I followed Nerrage's video of installing the Sparky to the T and also put in shrink tube on the male-female quick connects. I'm not sure what else I can do other than to post here with my video and a plead for help
    Live in Colorado or visiting sometime? Let us know:
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,732 ✭✭
    Make sure the wires are actually crimped inside the Scotchloks.

Your Post is funny to me, because a guy two weeks ago typed same thing.
    He even said he followed instruction of Nerrage to the T.
    I mean literally, he typed "Nerrage to the T" just like you.
    Laugh.

His problem was that he didn't press down the Scotchlok all enough.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • CloudChaser071CloudChaser071 Stars n Stripes Forever! Joined: Posts: 70
    Ah. Yeah I noticed that the Scotchloks weren't consistent, so I bit them down using my jaw until the 'button' was flush with the plastic case.

When I get back though, I'll chomp down on them again to check it. I have my P1 inverted so that if it does work, it'll light up.
    Live in Colorado or visiting sometime? Let us know:
  • Clone1BClone1B Soldering Iron Vs Nose 3: Fate of two Nostrils Joined: Posts: 74
    Hey guys, I've got a problem with my Sparky PWM.

Just installed it (eventually... fucking scotchlocks) and I've got a FTDI usb cable attached but I can't seem to configure it.
    When I load up the app the kick buttons go red, yellow, green, off and nothing I press in the configurator seems to make a difference to the default schema.
    Any help guys?
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,813 ✭✭
    I
    Hey guys, I've got a problem with my Sparky PWM.

Just installed it (eventually... fucking scotchlocks) and I've got a FTDI usb cable attached but I can't seem to configure it.
    When I load up the app the kick buttons go red, yellow, green, off and nothing I press in the configurator seems to make a difference to the default schema.
    Any help guys?
    thought it came pre-configured and you werent able to change the settings... I dont use sparky (sorry 32teeth) in my LED mods but I thought that paradise arcade did their own programming and it wasnt adjustable...
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
  • Clone1BClone1B Soldering Iron Vs Nose 3: Fate of two Nostrils Joined: Posts: 74
    I
    thought it came pre-configured and you werent able to change the settings... I dont use sparky (sorry 32teeth) in my LED mods but I thought that paradise arcade did their own programming and it wasnt adjustable...

I got it from Focusattack here http://www.focusattack.com/sparky-pwm-smd-led-controller-pcb/
    In the item description it says its configurable... would be kinda silly to have the FTDI pins if it wasn't configurable...
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,813 ✭✭
    I got it from Focusattack here http://www.focusattack.com/sparky-pwm-smd-led-controller-pcb/
    In the item description it says its configurable... would be kinda silly to have the FTDI pins if it wasn't configurable...
    glad I was wrong on this one! Hope you find the problem.
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
  • RoDcHaNRoDcHaN Hanging onto SF with a string... Joined: Posts: 650
    Ok, maybe im getting a bit impatient, but I was curious if anyone has hooked up ArcEye2s with this version of Sparky.

I am curious as to what to do with the RGB connector and where to connect the Black Common wires on the sparky

Thanks for any help!
    XBL: RoDcHaN
    3DS: 4768-7615-2614
    PSN: rodchan
    I've got arceye2s setup with this.

The RGB connectors ((the ones you got with the arceye2s) daisychains between the buttons with the long one going to the sparky. THe black common wires connect to the right row of coloured wires.

In the big harness you'll have 8 sets of wires, one of them will be a series of quick disconnects that goes to the button, the other one will be a blank wire which you use the scotchloks to attach together. Make sure you have the harness the right way round with the pink wire going into the P1 pin and the Red wire going into the K4 pin.
    Ok, so I connected the common wires to the Right side of the Sparky. (If im looking at it with the Power LED and LED cable on the bottom)

I put the wire harness for the buttons backwards since thats the only way it will connect with the common wires attached to the right side.

All i get is the 3 kick buttons on the bottom lit and no activation.
    32teeth, none of you SVN repos seems to work. I can browse the main directory but I can't get into any of the folders to get the latest code.

Figured out my earlier config problems, I blame bad instructions.

When you plug it in and go to the configurator you have to hold all three kicks as the colours are scrolling, if it goes white at the end (instead of green) it'll be in config mode and the configurator will work.
    How do I flash the firmware on the Sparky PWM? I think my issue may be related.

I am getting a FTDI cable this week so I hope I can use that to upgrade it. Any suggestions to my issue will be greatly appreciated.

And just to clarify.

I have AE2s installed to my stick. Using a TE-kitty board.

I tapped my USB cable for the power and everything is working correctly, but all 3 kicks are lit up and no activation upon pressing any button

Thanks!
    Hey guys,

So how do I flash this chip to Sparky's 3.0 software? I am looking at the instructions and it does not make sense to me. Arduino sees the controller (I thinik) and I go to the SVN repo and dont know what to do.

Do I just copy each individual code into the arduino program and upload it?

Have no idea....sorry for the n00b question and repost
    For those getting red, yellow, green and the nothing.
    You sparky is not broken, it's in off mode.

Since you are uploading the 3.0 code via arduino IDE (FA sparky shipped with 2.0)
    When you open Sparky.ino/pde in arduino 1.0

Change WProgrma.h to arduino.h in Sparky.ino/pde and SparkyClass.cpp/h

Look at SparkyClass.cpp and do a search for force mode and comment out the line with the 7 in it
    Comment that line out, re upload and your good to go.

That option (holding all three punches) is offmode (lp = 1, mp = 2, hp = 4) = 7
    I will try that!

Thanks 32teeth!
    This weekend I get to try and program my sparky for the first time. I hope I can figure it out with the information presented here on SRK.
  • ernesternest Joined: Posts: 55
    For those getting red, yellow, green and the nothing.
    You sparky is not broken, it's in off mode.

Since you are uploading the 3.0 code via arduino IDE (FA sparky shipped with 2.0)
    When you open Sparky.ino/pde in arduino 1.0

Change WProgrma.h to arduino.h in Sparky.ino/pde and SparkyClass.cpp/h

Look at SparkyClass.cpp and do a search for force mode and comment out the line with the 7 in it
    Comment that line out, re upload and your good to go.

That option (holding all three punches) is offmode (lp = 1, mp = 2, hp = 4) = 7
    ugh i wanted overnight shipping and my ftdi wont get here till monday! Hopefully that solves my problem (although I can get other buttons to light up but only after the 3 kicks light up first.
    32teeth do you think updating the firmware will solver the issue im having with sparky causing multiple button presses when connected? (IE when i press LK it presses PPP also, two other buttons do this as well)
    I dont think this is a wiring issue on my part as ive even tried holding the PPP to the underside of sparky only on the PPP solder point and the LK will still register it.
    Ok!

So still stuck and this is getting retarded. I was finally able to figure out how to upload the firmware.

Apparently you have to group all the files together in one folder and open the .ino file in Arduino.

In any case, now that I figured that one out, I tried uploading the code and came up with the folllowing errors:

Mac:
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

PC:
    Same as above, but instead of programmer, it was out of sync 0x30 and other numbers in between

I dont understand why its doing this. Trying different systems and its just blah!

Mac: 10.7.2 Lion with FTDI cable driver 2.2.16
    PC: Windows 7 64-bit FTDI cable driver 2.18. something.