Guy Tutorial for beginners/intermediates - what and how to do - essential basics

Pedro MarquesPedro Marques I gotta work on my tutorial!Joined: Posts: 214
This thread is meant for people who have just started using Guy, or people who have been playing him but still do not know how to play him in a solid way. It is a general how-to-when-to thread for beginners and intermediates, providing information for players who want to grow in gameplay with Guy. If you like Guy's style but you are tired of getting raped by Dragon Punch scrubs, this is the place for you!
Here you will find information that will help you on your execution, defense, combos, pressure, mix-up game, mind games, punishing game and hit confirming. This thread does not talk about match-up stuff, it goes up to right before character specific knowledge, though I do deal with some character specific information here.
I divided the info in topics, and anyone is more than welcome to add/criticize info to any topics of this thread. Just post or contact me!
Be sure to toggle the spoilers, as the main information is inside.
Thanks to...
I would like to especially thank str[e]ak for all his help with the editing, elaborating and formatting of this thread, and for all he has done on behalf of Guy community, honestly you are the best man!
Also, I would like to thank Blooddrunk, for all his hard work answering loads of posts throughout all threads of our little Guy section, and especially for helping me to think about the structure of this ultimate tutorial for beginners/intermediates.
Furthermore, I would also like to express my gratitude to Danonino, Brunaleski and IZIEIRIOI, for all their posts, questions and added info, especially in my former thread. Keep up the good work guys!
Also, I would also like to thank AlboShinobi for his incredible work at his Bushin Frame Trap/Counter Hit setups thread, and xIROCx for all he has done for us at the bait set -up thread (Profound Punishment!). In my opinion, both of these threads should without question be sticky.
Finally, I would like to say many thanks to SPECTERLIGHT, for taking his time to review and correct all the many English mistakes I made throughout this thread. Thanks teacher! xD
General Terminology:
Spoiler:

About Guy
Spoiler:
Useful YouTube Channels (real match examples, tutorials, option selects, mix-up strategies, set-ups, etc.)
Spoiler:
Useful threads
Spoiler:
Controller and Execution - Plinking and Double-tapping
About the controller you should use, if you plan on playing Guy for real, and I think this also applies for any other character, I have to be honest...you cannot use a pad anymore. The execution on a stick is much better and you have more freedom on the buttons as well. Only using fighting sticks are you able plink, double tap, piano and etc. For Guy's links (for learning what links, chains and combos are, mind VesperArcade tutorial chapter 7), plinking and double tapping are indispensable.
So in this thread I will be considering that people are using a fighting stick. About sticks, mind VesperArcade tutorial chapter 2 and chapter 3.
About plinking
Spoiler:
Xbox Live Login - OTinhoso
Japanese Arcades - ガイ人 (gaijin)
YouTube channel dedicated to Guy:
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedroMarques999?feature=mhee
Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.

Comments

• Pedro MarquesPedro Marques I gotta work on my tutorial! Joined: Posts: 214
    About double tapping
    Spoiler:
    Throwing with Guy, Kara-Throw
    Spoiler:
    A little info about battling with Guy - Ground Normals, Air Normals and Focus Attack
    When it comes to real battle, what moves should you use? What moves shouldn't you use? What would be Guy's bread-and-butter? Let's talk a little about this.
    First, my advice for you is taking a look at Guy's frame data and hitbox data here. For understanding frame data and hitbox data, see VesperArcade tutorial chapter 11.
    Now that you are familiar with Guy's moves, let's think about how can they be used in a real match.
    On Ground normals
    Spoiler:
    Air Normals
    Spoiler:

Focus Attack
    Spoiler:

Also you can find loads of information about Guy's moves, normals and special, in the following threads, but some of them are still rather underdeveloped, and others talk about SSF4 before AE:
    A little info about battling with Guy - Special Moves and Ultras
    Guy has many special moves, maybe more than most of the cast. Let's go at them one by one, discussing how can they be used and how they shouldn't be used in real matches.
    Hozanto :qcb::p: (Armor break)
    Spoiler:
    Bushin Senpuu Kyaku (BSK) :qcb::k: (Armor break)
    Spoiler:
    Bushin Izuna Otoshi AKA Bushin Flip :qcf::p: > :p:(for grab) and Bushin Elbow Drop :qcf::p: > :p: (for hit)
    Spoiler:
    Run :qcf::k: and its variations - Run > Stop :qcf::k:> :lk: / Run > Slide :qcf::k:> :mk: / Run > Overhead :qcf::k:> :hk:
    Basics
    Spoiler:
    Run > Stop :qcf::k: > :lk:
    Spoiler:
    Run > Slide:qcf::k:> :mk:
    Spoiler:
    Run > Overhead :qcf::k: > :hk:
    Spoiler:
    EX Run and its variations
    Spoiler:
    Kaiten Izuna Otoshi :qcf::p: (in the air) and instant Kaiten Izuna Otoshi :qcf::uf::p:, or :qcf::u::p:, or :qcf::ub::p:
    Spoiler:
    Super combo :qcf::qcf::p:
    Spoiler:
    Ultra 1 :qcf::qcf::3k: and Ultra 2 :hcb::hcb::3p:
    Spoiler:
    What is Hit Confirming and Why Practicing it
    Now that we have seen Guy's moves, let’s move on to how to actually perform them decently. Proper hit confirming is CRUCIAL, ESSENTIAL, INDISPENSABLE (I couldn't stress it enough) when using Guy.
    Spoiler:
    Training with Guy – Training mode Hit Confirm and Execution Practice Patterns
    Spoiler:
    Guy's Corner Game - Essential Knowledge
    I have been saying that Guy shines the most in the corner, and pushing your opponent to the corner is very important, etc. It is time we took a deeper look inside of what Guy can actually do in the corner.
    Special thanks to Blooddrunk on this one, as he brought my attention to the importance of this topic in this kind of thread, and helped with important information.
    Spoiler:
    Guy's Style Revised - How to behave in battle: Safe Ground, Air and Pressure games
    First of all, have in mind that this thread does not aim to explain character specific matters. So in this topic we are going to discuss how a Guy player should behave in general, as our aim here is to teach beginners/intermediates. I will mainly talk about bad habits players have, in other words, what you should be doing and what should you avoid doing, adding some tips here and there that could help solidifying your gameplay with Guy. Having that said, let us get to the point.
    Guy in Battle
    Spoiler:
    Ground Game and its Pressure
    Spoiler:
    Target Combo in pressure game
    Spoiler:
    On hit
    Spoiler:
    On block
    Spoiler:

1) Run Stop :qcf: :k: >:lk: and its variations
    Spoiler:
    2) Bushin Flip :qcf: :p:
    Spoiler:

3) :lp: Hozanto and :mp: Hozanto
    Spoiler:

4) Run Slide :qcf: :k: > :mk: > FADC
    Spoiler:

Target Combo "Vortex"
    Spoiler:
    Counter hits – How to Hit and How to Follow
    Spoiler:
    1, 2 or 3 cr. :lp: / :lk: ?
    Lots of Beginners/intermediates I see in random replays on the internet, actually almost all of them, ALWAYS use 2 or 3 cr. fast normals before doing something else. This is a very bad habit and let's analyze why.
    Spoiler:
    Air game and its pressure air-to-air and safe jumps
    Finally, let's talk a little about Guy's game when he is in the air, revising his tools for offensive and defensive air game, Jump ins and talking a bit about safe jumps.
    Spoiler:
    Hello people!
    After weeks of hard work, and lots of help from str[e]ak and Blooddrunk, I finally managed to finish the tutorial for Beginners/Intermediates!
    Hope you enjoy, any criticism/comment will be more than welcome!

Cheers!
    And it is time to post!
    Green light is on!
  • BlooddrunkBlooddrunk Guy Guru Joined: Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭
    Noticed a slight error easy fix though, Cr Hp is 9 frames, not Seven, if it were seven I would be riddled with excitement for extended combos. But that Makoto combo you mentioned with the J Hk, cr lk x3 , lk tatsu i got that to work but I assume its the spacing that would cause the 3rd hit to whiff. but I think if the last 2 hits of tatsu manage to hit the opponent you can juggle into the Super.

In terms of the CH cr Hp and testing, its a little weird but I'll be working on the list unless someone has the time to do it.

I appreciate the several shoutouts as well :]
    "My mains are normally Ninjas, Kung Fu artists, or Swords. I also love sleep and food."
  • C2QC2Q Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I need help to know what to do after a rsl. What mixups are available other than the standard crossup or safejump. Also setups after a bf throw.
    AE 2012: Akuma (main), Evil Ryu, Guy, Yun, Yang, Ryu.
  • BrunaleskiBrunaleski Joined: Posts: 23
    I want to contribute to this but this is pretty thorough. Dammit stop making me feel useless!

Anyway I feel my strength in this game lies more towards my ability to quickly read my opponent and assess situations quickly, so my best contribution would be to post specific things in character match ups and when to do what and why, but this is a fighting game forum not a psychology class. =(
    Well the best options is the safejump, just because its keeps pressure on them and you can use OS if they try to get away. But you can always pressure with throws/normals, 1 frame EX bushin flip set ups, but really your best option is to safejump.

After Bushin Flip, you'll have another safejump, you can depending on the character and there wake up cross them up or dash in lp bushin flip for a 1 frame or spend a bar and do an EX one. The Lp Bushin flip is highly recommended in terms of the corner if you have a reversal happy player, as most reversals will whiff because you will be behind them and they won't be able to autocorrect, though some do autocorrect.
    "My mains are normally Ninjas, Kung Fu artists, or Swords. I also love sleep and food."
    I want to contribute to this but this is pretty thorough. Dammit stop making me feel useless!

Anyway I feel my strength in this game lies more towards my ability to quickly read my opponent and assess situations quickly, so my best contribution would be to post specific things in character match ups and when to do what and why, but this is a fighting game forum not a psychology class. =(

That's why we have a match up thread :D, but of course you can always make your own thread to see and collect how everyone deals with a particular situation.
    That's why we have a match up thread :D, but of course you can always make your own thread to see and collect how everyone deals with a particular situation.
    I agree
    Noticed a slight error easy fix though, Cr Hp is 9 frames, not Seven, if it were seven I would be riddled with excitement for extended combos. But that Makoto combo you mentioned with the J Hk, cr lk x3 , lk tatsu i got that to work but I assume its the spacing that would cause the 3rd hit to whiff. but I think if the last 2 hits of tatsu manage to hit the opponent you can juggle into the Super.

In terms of the CH cr Hp and testing, its a little weird but I'll be working on the list unless someone has the time to do it.

I appreciate the several shoutouts as well :]

Corrected!
    the frames were a type error, the makoto thing I just tested, and yeah, its the space, I corrected that one too, and I am waiting for your list of characters for the walk a bit > bushin chain :lp: > :mp: > :hp: > :hk: or walk a bit > target combo :mp: > :hp:
    lets keep it rolling man!:tup:
    I need help to know what to do after a rsl. What mixups are available other than the standard crossup or safejump. Also setups after a bf throw.
    Just added the info at Air Game and its Pressure topic.
    Well the best options is the safejump, just because its keeps pressure on them and you can use OS if they try to get away. But you can always pressure with throws/normals, 1 frame EX bushin flip set ups, but really your best option is to safejump.

After Bushin Flip, you'll have another safejump, you can depending on the character and there wake up cross them up or dash in lp bushin flip for a 1 frame or spend a bar and do an EX one. The Lp Bushin flip is highly recommended in terms of the corner if you have a reversal happy player, as most reversals will whiff because you will be behind them and they won't be able to autocorrect, though some do autocorrect.
    Added this, quoting you.
    Many thanks!

You have already contributed man, your name is quoted at the Practice topic. But you can always add more, I'd be glad to hear anything from you.
    About the character specific threads, I think they are essential and we lack on them. We don't have specific threads for many matchups, so you might as well start one.
    So I compiled the list for the Counter Hit Cr HP, Timing can be really strict for characters and it may be better to just do TC, Runslide or BC it's all up to you if you want to take the gamble of doing this, this can be done to most of the cast after cr lp > Cr Hp. Also if it helps a plinked cr Hp does inch Guy a little forward (you can test it in Training mode and have Guy glide across the screen,) If you manage to hit a Cr HP at max range and its a CH if you have meter you can do an EX hozanto. Most and best of all, on every character that LP hozanto will hit you can tact on a meterless U1, for 506 damage. Its also easier to tact on a EX hozanto or HK/EX Tatsu after the LP Hoz. Remember you have to walk forward to do all of this, and Cr HP leaves you at +11 so you have at most 6-7 frames to do all this respectively.

CH Cr HP - TC - LP Hozanto
    Honda
    Dudley
    Gouken
    Yun
    Sim
    Abel
    Cody
    Guy
    Hakan
    Yang
    Guile
    Gief
    Rufus
    Vega/Claw
    Rog/Boxer
    Fei
    Hawk

CH Cr HP - BC
    Honda
    Makoto
    Gouken
    Gen
    Yun
    Chun
    Sim
    Abel
    Viper
    Bison/Dict
    Deejay
    Cody
    Guy
    Hakan
    Yang
    Guile
    Fuerte
    Vega/Claw
    Rog/Boxer
    Hawk
    Adon

CH Cr HP >TC
    Makoto
    Juri
    Chun
    Bison/Dict
    Cammy
    Deejay

Sagat is unique, in the case where regardless if the Cr HP is a counter hit or not you can connect TC or BC without walking forward. For a regular hit though you'll have to delay the st mp a bit otherwise you'll miss the TC, Lp Hozanto will connect on Sagat, and U1 is doable if it helps on a CH Cr HP you can inch back a small bit so you'll manage to hit on the later frame but Sagat is the only character that is unique in this case.

Everyone else this method does not work on them as they will be too far for BC or TC to connect.

Also another CH combo, this only works on some of the cast but CH cr MP will link to Cl St HK or HK for that matter, and for characters with the bigger hitboxes that ths works on you can still do the Cl St HK, St Hp, St mp combo them. With an FADC U1 you'll do 568.
    skip

Thanks for the info man!
    I think it really shouldnt be me saying this, but since I am having no feedback at all on this tutorial, Ill ask anyway.
    Do you guys think it should be sticky?
  • KreymoreKreymore Forward Joined: Posts: 260
    Thanks for the info man!
    I think it realy shouldnt be me saying this, but since I am having not feedback at all on this tutorial, Ill ask anyway.
    Do you guys think it should be sticky?

It should definitely be sticky! It's a great resource for people to refresh themselves, apply different methods and learn entirely unfamiliar concepts. You guys (everyone involved) did a great job on this. It shouldn't go to waste.

If I have anything to add, I will be sure to do so.
    Our work is never done.
    It should definitely be sticky! It's a great resource for people to refresh themselves, apply different methods and learn entirely unfamiliar concepts. You guys (everyone involved) did a great job on this. It shouldn't go to waste.

If I have anything to add, I will be sure to do so.

Thx dude, your feedback is much appreciated.
    Be sure to add stuff, Ill be sure to update it!
  • Guy PlayerGuy Player Bushin-ryu practitioner. Joined: Posts: 99
    Pedro , firstable I want to congratulate you for this great thread , really good information about Guy. Very helpful.

I've looking to your nickname and Live ID , and I want to ask you something : are you brazilian? If so , I'm from Santos . Here in Sao Paulo we have some good Guy players like Kaka and Juninprogammer . Yoy may know them . They got real good AE skills.
  • str[e]akstr[e]ak Friendly Neighborhood Sneaker Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,819
    I'll send a PM to one of the mods to close your old thread and sticky this one. :tup:

I haven't read through this new thread completely yet, but when I do, I'll see if I can add anything.
    I enter tournaments as Real Life Bonus Stage:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/akaRLBS
    https://twitter.com/eddyRLBS

New discovery at least I've never seen anyone mention it.

But Cl st HK, TC Lp Hozanto allows you to do a meterless U1 on several characters. As far as I've tested it doesn't work on Sakura, Ibuki, Bison or Blanka. I was also going around the character selection because some characters have weird hitboxes.
  • Mr.SNKMr.SNK . . . . -B Joined: Posts: 1,809 mod
    Done.
    A article on how to get better at fighting games, give it a read you might learn something.
    http://shoryuken.com/blogs/mr-snk/learning-how-get-better-fighting-games-1456/#comments
    Random E.Honda footage/My Youtube page.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSNK
    Done.
    appreciated it dude.
    No problem, best of luck in 2012 against Honda.
    A article on how to get better at fighting games, give it a read you might learn something.
    http://shoryuken.com/blogs/mr-snk/learning-how-get-better-fighting-games-1456/#comments
    OS are handy :P
    I corrected many typing mistakes and rewrote some things that were difficult to understand up to the Bushin Flip topic.
    I have no clue if even one person is actually reading this tutorial, but I'll try to correct everything by today, Including Blooddrunk's list.
    No problem, best of luck in 2012 against Honda.
    Thanks again for the sticky...and yes, we're gonna need all the OS and all the luck in the world against Honda now...
    New discovery at least I've never seen anyone mention it.

But Cl st HK, TC Lp Hozanto allows you to do a meterless U1 on several characters. As far as I've tested it doesn't work on Sakura, Ibuki, Bison or Blanka. I was also going around the character selection because some characters have weird hitboxes.

Just updated the Ultra 1 topic with this info. This is really a MAJOR finding and should be known by all Guy players. I also made a video on it, inside the same topic. Corrected everything up to the Ultras topic. Will keep up with the correction tomorrow!
    Cheers!
    http://youtu.be/83eMs89D56o

My boy Mike has been putting a lot of work into Guy but towards the tail end of the video he dies to Adon, does anyone have some sound advice or idea in that match-up or is Guy just boned?
    Well aside from the video being hard to watch, He has a solid Guy but the Adon matchup is a climb.. the only way to beat his pressure when using Jaguar Kick is TK Izuna or EX tatsu. But from what i saw your friend just made one too many mistakes. Falling for safe jumps, he ended a block TC with tatsu, he just set himself up to get walked on. The first round of that match was great, he played it well. He could have easily won that round if he TK Izuna'd the Jaguar Kick or EX tatsu it. But Adon match up is similar to Sakura, if you can't get out of the pressure and play your footsies right.. its game over.
    Just finished correcting the typing errors at all the topics.
    I also revised all the topics, and mainly added info to the counter hit topic. Adding more info, a new sub topic (overhead) and adding Blooddrunks calculation about CH cr. :hp: on each character.
    This is pretty much what this tutorial is going to look like. I hope someone, even one person would be great, read this in full. I know its a long read, but I wish I had half this information when I started playing.
    Nevertheless, the tutorial needs some cleaning and many corrections are yet to be made. So if anything could be added please let me know.
    Cheers!
  • Kain_Kain_ Let's do this! Joined: Posts: 96
    I already read through this once when it was posted and just finished reading this again. I cant help adding more information on this thread as i still lack overall knowledge and skill as Guy(and street fighter) player but I would like to say that I really appreciate what you guys are doing,it really helps me(and I'm sure a lot of people) out.

I might be relatively new to the game but I already have my goal set,I want to compete and do well in a big tournament held once a year in my country(I live in Thailand) as Guy,of course.:) I will keep training and hopefully I'll be able to show them the power of Bushinryu that will be forever etched into their retinas!

btw i notice some typo
    Spoiler:
    Bushinryu student in training.
    Actually the part you have striked out isn't a typo, a cl st mp will combo into Lp Hozanto, a far st mp will not unless on counter hit, on ch a cl st mp will combo into mp hozanto. same with cl st hp.
    I already read through this once when it was posted and just finished reading this again. I cant help adding more information on this thread as i still lack overall knowledge and skill as Guy(and street fighter) player but I would like to say that I really appreciate what you guys are doing,it really helps me(and I'm sure a lot of people) out.

I might be relatively new to the game but I already have my goal set,I want to compete and do well in a big tournament held once a year in my country(I live in Thailand) as Guy,of course.:) I will keep training and hopefully I'll be able to show them the power of Bushinryu that will be forever etched into their retinas!

btw i notice some typo

Hello Kain_
    Thanks for replying and sharing your opinion about the thread. We all hope it helps you in your training with Guy.
    I like the idea you've got, that even though you are new to the scene you are aiming high...willing to do well in a big tourney...keep it up and you will surely achieve what you want!
    Already corrected the typo you found, thanks for the up. Also, found other typos everywhere (it seems there's no ending to them).
    If anybody finds more, or any other mistakes in my poor English that could compromise the understanding, please correct me.
    As for the place you stroke, as Blooddrunk already confirmed for me, it is actually correct. Maybe you misunderstood the cl. st. :mp: for a target combo :mp: > :hp: . Because if you are doing a target combo, it does not matter if the :mp: is close or far, the :lp: Hozanto will always combo. That is why the target combo is much more of a better option when compared to a far st. :mp: .
    Any questions, we'll be here for you.
    Best of luck in Thailand! If I ever travel there, I'll contact you!
    http://youtu.be/83eMs89D56o

My boy Mike has been putting a lot of work into Guy but towards the tail end of the video he dies to Adon, does anyone have some sound advice or idea in that match-up or is Guy just boned?

First of all, many thanks for the sticky again.
    Second, I thought I heard somebody call your friend Mike "streak" at some point of the video (aorund 30:00), is this Mike, by any chance, our str[e]ak?
    Anyways, I've sat through all Guy's fights and although I don't really feel confortable pointing out mistakes in others gameplay, especially somebody as good as him, I'll do it anyway (hopefully one day he does it with me too, I'd be glad).
    He is an amazing player. And I mean really good, like few I've seen. He has REALLY good anti-airs, especially in the first fights against the shotos, he was doing loads of instant izunas, I like that, that is sexy, works for the crowd and mindfucks your opponent. Also he knows very well the timing and spacing for the usage of HK and cr. MP in his anti-air game, I respect that.
    Still on his defensive game, I thought that in the first matches, he wasn't trying to reversal EX BSK too much on wake up. He remained calm and tryed to get out of pressure without having to reversal. For some reason, he was reversaling a lot against Adon, and that was fatal for him. It almost looked as if he was scared of the matchup. Which, by the way, although I agree on being an uphill, I don't think its one of the worst matchups at all. And I agree with Blooddrunk when he says he should have instant Izunad more the Jaguar kicks. Where did that technique from the previous matches go? However, even if he was aprehensive about using izunas or EX BSK, he could have simply used st. HK against jaguar kicks that are done from close distance, since st. HK beats Jaguar kicks clean and it is not hard to do it even on reaction. But honestly, that was not the reason he lost. He lost that match to himself. He made one too many mistakes. As Blooddrunk also said, he finished target combos on block with totally not safe moves, and he fell for safe jumps a lot. Personally, I like Ultra 2 the best against Adon, since you shut down Jaguar Tooth and all his safe jumps with it. So, about his defense, I think he was scared and he ended up cracking. And though I found him a really good player, specially in the first 3 matches, when you crack with Guy, you're done.
    Now, about the footsies, he used too many, I mean WAY TOO MANY roundhouses against Adon. Before, in the other matches he used more far st. MK. It looked like as if he was really scared of Adon's st. HK that he didn't try it even once, and this is not to talk about target combos, far st. MP > LP Hozanto, FA > dash in, etc. Talking about not safe, I really think he should definitely stop, I mean give up for real, on the risky LK BSK after a blocked Hozanto. I noticed he does it sometimes trying to bait out a normal, but the damage is just not worth the risk.
    Lastly, I think his offensive game could use some improvement, and I am talking specially about Run > Stop here. First of all, even when he was performing combos like cr. LK > cr. LK > far st. MP > Run ON HIT, he was stopping, and this is not only during the Adon match. I don't know if he was scared about if the link from the cr. moves into the st. MP would go well, but he should finish all of those with a Shadow Kick, and I think he agrees there's no discussion to it. So, maybe a little more practice on links, plinking and hit confirming. I know how tough this is. Believe me, I suffer from the same problem, every goddanm day. But on block, which is actually when the Run > Stop comes along, he wasn't stoping properlly sometimes. I think I saw it something like 4 or 5 times only in the Adon match, but he missed the stop part, and that is another thing that leads Guy straight into free punish damage. So my best advice for him is to get run stop nailed, I mean really nailed. It is the most difficult thing to do with Guy, I know it cause I have been trying to get to perfection in Run > Stop execution for 2 years now. Also, I personally think, and now I am probably going too far and being annoying, that he could use more variations in his frame traps. Use some more cl. st. MK, cr. LP > cr. MP, cr. LK > delayed target combo...and also throwing more as well. Run > Shadow Kick into FADC > FA > Dash forward is godlike as a counter hit set up, and I think he could implement that into his game as well. But this last one is really only my style speaking louder than anything.
    As for the Adon matchup, the footsies are important, but to be honest Guy loses in that sense. So this match up in my opinion is more about who is able to get a knockdown, get in and keep it in for the longest. Adon's reversals aren't fast enough frame wise, so all of Guy's safejumps work on him. The same goes for Guy, so once Adon is in it is difficult to get out (and here is where your friend Mike cracked). That and who wins the aerial fight (both characters have great options air-to-air and anti-air) are the most important things is this matchup in my opinion.
    Anyways, great Guy, lots of potential to get to a beast level. Congrats and keep up practing. Hope one day I could play him.
    Cheers!
  • str[e]akstr[e]ak Friendly Neighborhood Sneaker Ninja Joined: Posts: 2,819
    Second, I thought I heard somebody call your friend Mike "streak" at some point of the video (aorund 30:00), is this Mike, by any chance, our str[e]ak?

Nope. I live in New York.
    I enter tournaments as Real Life Bonus Stage:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/akaRLBS
    https://twitter.com/eddyRLBS

Damn Pedro beat me to the Ultra 2 mention, I completely forgot U2 beats all of his options, even Jaguar kicks that land in range of the move.

But I should say he shouldn't finish all of his st mp combos into Run/slide.. he could mix in Run/Stop to go for a grab to surprise the opponent as they may be used to being KD'd and may still just block.
  • Lumina1reLumina1re Profound Badass Joined: Posts: 277
    Thanks for the critique Guys (lol pun intended), as you correctly guessed, I suck at the Adon match, and I totally choked as soon as that set started....Adon and Bison give me problems physically as well as mentally, I need to get over them as two of the better players in our AZ scene play them...any tips/critiques is always welcome =) thanks!
    He asked us......."Be you angels!?" BUT WE SAID NAY!

WE ARE BUT MEN!

ROCK
    Thanks for the critique Guys (lol pun intended), as you correctly guessed, I suck at the Adon match, and I totally choked as soon as that set started....Adon and Bison give me problems physically as well as mentally, I need to get over them as two of the better players in our AZ scene play them...any tips/critiques is always welcome =) thanks!

No problem dude. If you have anything to add to the tutorial please. And next time, when you have any fight you want us to watch and comment, please post it on the video thread!
    Cheers!
    Damn Pedro beat me to the Ultra 2 mention, I completely forgot U2 beats all of his options, even Jaguar kicks that land in range of the move.
    But I should say he shouldn't finish all of his st mp combos into Run/slide.. he could mix in Run/Stop to go for a grab to surprise the opponent as they may be used to being KD'd and may still just block.

You're right my good friend. Mixing up from times to times wouldn't hurt. But I didn't beat you or anything, we are on the same side here! :tup:
  • Lumina1reLumina1re Profound Badass Joined: Posts: 277
    Here's that st. mk backthrow safe jump setup you requested, and although I could be wrong, I do believe that the neutral jump safe jump after a run slide has complications with all the characters that require the st. mk backthrow safe jump setup......I know Fei, Twins, Cammy, and Blanka seem not work for the run slide neutral safe jump (at least for OS) but perhaps my timing is just off. Make sure to give Alboshinobi (Obey) all the credit, its his video, I just use it lol.

He asked us......."Be you angels!?" BUT WE SAID NAY!

WE ARE BUT MEN!

ROCK
  • KreymoreKreymore Forward Joined: Posts: 260
    Obey and AlboShinobi are two different people. It's cool though. The neutral jump safe jump does work on the twins. It's just that the timing is more strict because of their hit box adjustment upon okizeme.
    Our work is never done.