How to Stop Worrying and Love the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth - The Ultimate Doctor Strange Thread.

maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike!Joined: Posts: 7,564
Introduction
Welcome to The Ultimate Doctor Strange Thread! The aim of this thread is to provide a one-stop spot regarding most of what you need to know in order to play Doctor Strange effectively in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Contributions, changes, or alerts? Feel free to PM me here on SRK for any concerns you may have. Now, a brief overview on the contents of this guide:

The Basics: General character information on Doctor Strange. This includes a background on the character, which includes his biography, character art, alternate costumes, and theme, as well as basic gameplay info. Doctor Strange's health values, bonuses from X-Factor, and a rundown of all of his moves and how to integrate them better into your gameplay can be found via the "Discussion" section.

Strategy: This section gives you a rundown of Doctor Strange's overall playstyle. You may find different and essential aspects of his gameplay such as how to utilize his mobility to approach, options at various ranges (close, midscreen, far, corner), setups, and utilizing X-Factor.

Team Building: An overview of team-building is given first before going into the bulk of the section: discussions on each of the 49 possible teammates for Doctor Strange, and their synergistic possibilities (i.e. DHC options and uses for each character's assist).

Gameplay and Combos: Essentially a video section showcasing good examples of Doctor Strange play, including tournament footage and combo videos. As people have various preferences and constantly develop new ideas with regards to combos, only Doctor Strange's staple combos will be listed here. New concepts and developments for combos can be found in the upcoming discussion thread.

Mixups and Resets: Arguably the best way to get damage with a tricky character like Doctor Strange is through mixups and resets. This section discusses various options pre- and post-combo or snapback, as well as understanding the properties of each of Doctor Strange's moves to integrate them into your mystical trickery.

Table of Contents:
The Basics
The Basics, Page 2
The Basics, Page 3
The Basics, Page 4
The Basics, Page 5
The Basics, Page 6
The Basics, Page 7
General Strategy
General Strategy, Page 2
Team Building
Team Building, Page 2
Team Building, Page 3
Team Building, Page 4
Team Building, Page 5
Team Building, Page 6
Team Building, Page 7
Gameplay and Combos
Gameplay and Combos, Page 2
Mixups and Resets
Mixups and Resets, Page 2
Special Thanks

General Character Information:
Doctor Strange Biography
Character Art
Alternate Colors
Character Theme

General Statistics:
Health: 850,000
Level 1 X-Factor Bonuses: 120% Damage, 120% Speed
Level 2 X-Factor Bonuses: 145% Damage, 125% Speed
Level 3 X-Factor Bonuses: 170% Damage, 130% Speed

Notation:
:l: - Light Attack
:m: - Medium Attack
:h: - Heavy Attack
:s: - Special Button
:a1: - Assist Button 1
:a2: - Assist Button 2
:atk::atk: - Any Two Attack Buttons
(Air) - Performable While Airborn
(Low) - This Move Must Be Blocked Low
(High) - This Move Must be Blocked High
(OTG) - This Move Hits Prone Opponents
(Mid) - This Combo Requires A Mid-Screen Opponent
(Corner) - This Combo Requires A Cornered Opponent
(Assist) - This Combo Requires An Assist
(Reset) - This Combo Requires A Reset
(Counter) - This Move Counters Attacks
(Crumple) - This Moves Causes Crumple State
(XF1) - X-Factor Level 1 Damage Levels
(XF2) - X-Factor Level 2 Damage Levels
(XF3) - X-Factor Level 3 Damage Levels
c. - Crouching
s. - Standing
j. - Airborne
sj. - Airborne Via Superjump
(n)Y, (n)R - Grace of Hoggoth combination with (n) number of Yellow (Y) glyphs or (n) number of Red (R) glyphs
(XFC) - X-Factor Cancel
(DHC) - Delayed Hyper Cancel

Numpad Notation:
1 = Down Back
2 = Neutral Crouching
3 = Down Forward
4 = Back, blocking and walking backwards
5 = Stick is in a neutral state
6 = Forward, walking forward
7 = Up Back, jump backwards
8 = Up, Neutral jump
9 = Up Forward, jump forward

Examples: 214 = :qcb:, 236 = :qcf:, 623 = :dp:, 412 = :rdp:

HITBOX DATA COURTESY OF FINGERCRAMP:
Retired Mahvel scrub.

Comments

• maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    The Basics, Page 2

Normals:
    Standing :l:
    Spoiler:

Standing :m:
    Spoiler:

Standing :h:
    Spoiler:

Standing :s:
    Spoiler:

Crouching :l:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    The Basics, Page 3

Crouching :m:
    Spoiler:

Crouching :h: (Low)
    Spoiler:

Aerial :l: (High)
    Spoiler:

Aerial :m: (High)
    Spoiler:

Aerial :h: (High)
    Spoiler:

Aerial :s: (High)
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    The Basics, Page 4

Throw - :b:/:f: + :h:
    Spoiler:

Ground Dash - :b:/:f: + :atk::atk: or :b::b:/:f::f:
    Spoiler:

Command Normals:
    Impact Palm (Air) (Crumple) - :f::h:
    Spoiler:

Illusion (Counter) - :b::h:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    The Basics, Page 5

Specials:
    Daggers of Denak (Air) - :qcf: :l:/:m:
    Spoiler:

Eye of Agamotto (Air) - :qcf: :h:
    Spoiler:

Bolts of Balthakk - :atk:+:s:
    Spoiler:

Mystic Sword - :dp: :l:/:m:/:h:
    Spoiler:

Teleportation (Air) - :rdp: :l:/:m:/:h:
    Spoiler:

Flight (Air) - :qcb: :s:
    Spoiler:

Grace of Hoggoth - :qcb: :l:/:m:
    Spoiler:

Flames of the Faltine - :qcb: :h: • See the Grace of Hoggoth Effects section immediately below.
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    The Basics, Page 6

Grace of Hoggoth Effects:
    1 Yellow (1Y) (OTG)
    Spoiler:

2 Yellow (2Y) (OTG)
    Spoiler:

3 Yellow (3Y) (Crumple) (OTG)
    Spoiler:

1-3 Red (1-3R) (OTG)
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    The Basics, Page 7

Hypers:
    Spell of Vishanti (Air) - :qcf: :atk::atk: (1 Bar) (OTG)
    Spoiler:

Seven Rings of Raggador (Counter) - :qcb: :atk::atk: (1 Bar)
    Spoiler:

Astral Magic - :dp: :atk::atk: (3 Bars)
    Spoiler:

Assists:
    α: Daggers of Denak :m:
    Spoiler:

β: Eye of Agamotto
    Spoiler:

γ: Bolts of Balthakk
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved: general strategy
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved: general strategy 2
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 10
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 11
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 12
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 13
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building

A Word:
    When building a solid team, there are six questions to be asked in no particular order of importance:
    1) What assist-based synergy exists between the characters.
    2) What DHC-based synergy exists between the characters.
    3) How able your team is at handling a variety of opposing strategies.
    4) Whether the structure and order of your team is solid (point/battery/assist/anchor/etc.).
    5) Whether your THC synergizes well; this is generally an afterthought.
    6) Whether special TAC opportunities exist.

"The character sections below cover, to the best of my ability, 1, 2, and 6. The others are too team-specific, rather than partner-specific, and are thus beyond the scope of this guide. These sections are ever-evolving; please do not hesitate to contribute, as it is a massive task to take on alone." - Karsticles

Hyper Combo Synergy Legend:
    (+) - The DHC can occur in full with either no or little damage lost from most positions.
    (~) - The DHC requires strict timing, is inconsistent, or may not function under heavy hitstun decay.
    (-) - The DHC is not possible without sacrificing considerable damage on one of the hypers.
    (c) - The DHC only takes place when the starting hyper combo takes place in or near a corner.
    (g) - The DHC allows Doctor Strange time to place several Grace of Hoggoth glyphs.
    (b) - The DHC can allow a hyper which would normally not connect alone due to travel time to do so.
    (f) - The DHC does not connect on its own, but a second DHC can make the hypers connect.
    (u) - No direct damage-based connection takes place, but your new point is left in a profitable situation.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 2
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 3
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 4
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 5
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 6
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    Team Building, Page 7
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved: gameplay and combos part 1
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved: gameplay and combos part 2
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 23
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    reserved 24
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    this spot reserved for Special Thanks.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32RAQ8wRCfY&feature=related#t=5m50s

ONE MORE WEEK TILL WE COUNTER THE PLASMA!!
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
    this thread is looking so freaking sexy right now with Karst's template. good shit Karst, and much thanks for letting me use this.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • Freelancer48Freelancer48 Joined: Posts: 8
    Looking for strange to be my captains new bff. Don't know about a third though...
  • Devil-TriggerDevil-Trigger loading............. Joined: Posts: 239
    he's no longer Sorcerer Supreme :D
    SF3: 3rd Strike - Makoto, Elena, Hugo
    Super Street Fighter IV - Makoto, Gouken
    MK9 - Nightwolf, Jade
    KoF13 - Shen Woo, Mai, unknown
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • The DamnedThe Damned isn't real, is he? Joined: Posts: 6,126 mod
    (Pretty obvious that he's probably going to become Sorcerer Supreme again if Marvel is actually getting behind him for once.)

Oh, hey. Sub-forums for all the new characters (finally). I was kinda of expecting it to come up sooner than this, but I'm glad they waited until a week from before. We don't need the new sub-forums clogged up with BS already.

Thanks for using Karsticles' format, maziodyne, and thanks to Karst for providing it.

Lol. So that's where I had seen Seven Rings of Raggador before.
    "In other news, we need to get this boy laid. ... I swear, I think with my dick more than he does, and the only dick I have is a strap-on." - Natasha Romanov(a) to Tony Stark, regarding Steve Rogers
  • Flashy NightsFlashy Nights Partial to long stories. Joined: Posts: 4,144

DS with dat cheap stuff
    Umvc3: Magnus, DS, Dante /Dormammu, DS, Magnus
    SF4:M.Bison
    Are you sure bolts is :atk:+:s:?

pretty sure. he has the forward and reverse QCF/DP motions already mapped out and it's unusual in this game for projectile specials to be HCF or HCB. that's what's been listed in the old thread OP anyways.

edit: guys you can start the other threads now. the old Strange thread just got locked and this one got stickied (thanks Dios or Preppy, whoever locked it lol!) so I think it's a good idea if someone reputable starts the matchup thread as well as a video thread. if you have any other ideas for new threads, consult your mystical brethren first.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • Moo DemiGodMoo DemiGod Joined: Posts: 35
    might want to put it in now that the Explosive Trap OTG is only guaranteed in the corner and is otherwise just better to use an assist, only melee set up for it is when the enemy crumples. it gives enough time to throw out 1 Sphere and a launcher, when they land you can use it as an OTG. Other than that its near impossible. but I highly encourage people to find a way to use it mid stage.
  • orochi1017orochi1017 Cult of Personality Joined: Posts: 874
    I can confirm having played earlier builds, Bolts is Att+Spec.
    It's DaiAndOh or just Dai
    "The purpose of striking a pose is not to become like a wallpaper. That's why we chant loudly when we pose, to draw attention to our magnificence."
  • ogrimtitanogrimtitan Joined: Posts: 404
    Not sure if anyone's brought this up, but I think one of the first things that should be tested is whether Rings of Ragadorr hyper will counter Phoenix's dark transformation explosion.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if anyone's brought this up, but I think one of the first things that should be tested is whether Rings of Ragadorr hyper will counter Phoenix's dark transformation explosion.

It probably will but she can block on the first frame so you most likely won't be able to actually hit her. The only things that really tear her up are like grabs or unblockable attacks. Hence Spider Man, X-23, Haggar etc.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • Seth K. MackSeth K. Mack All Seeing Eye of Agamotto! Come to my aid! Joined: Posts: 85
    Don't know if anyone had posted this, but it could be very useful for the thread

edit: and just so we all know, I've been watching the Vergil thread and his Dimension Slash can be countered if anyone ever wondered that
    MVC2: Psylocke/Blackheart/ Doom or Iceman/Blackheart/ Strider or Doom/ Blackheart/ Amingo
    MVC3: Dormammu/Doom/Arthur (AKA Team Metal and Magic) or Dormammu/Doom/ Chun-Li
    UMVC3: Doctor Strange/ Dormammu/ Doom (AKA Team "D" is for Death) Strange/Dorm/Vergil (AKA Team Teleports for days)

"YOU are but a child fighting a GOD" - Dormammu
    "One does not require the Eye of Agamotto to see this outcome" - Doctor Strange
    "Turn and run now, and I shall mercifully pretend this never happened" - Doctor Doom
    Definitely one of those "wake me up when he finds something interesting" sets of videos but hopefully he won't go through all 50 characters to find out that "projectile gets countered, non projectile does not".
  • xesaiexesaie Old Joined: Posts: 3,555
    Definitely one of those "wake me up when he finds something interesting" sets of videos but hopefully he won't go through all 50 characters to find out that "projectile gets countered, non projectile does not".

he should have done it all as those first one,s so its like a half second per projectiles. That would actually be a bitchin' video all told.

Also, lol at it autocorrecting aim.
    I would be pissed if I spend the time and effort to counter a projectile with a super only for Strange to shoot the wrong way. He's going to be awkward enough to use as it is so that super better be as hassle free as possible.
  • Surging ChaosSurging Chaos Less QQ, moar pew pew Joined: Posts: 391
    I wonder if Dark Phoenix would get drilled by the 7 Rings if she mashed cr.L, you did 7 Rings on reaction with feathers overlapping you, and then she responds by teleporting after the super flash behind you. I want to say yes after seeing how generous the autocorrect is on the move now.
    VS: B.B. Hood | TvC: Saki / Roll | MvC2: Team Scrub / Team Watts | UMvC3: Dr. Strange (γ) / MODOK (β) / Sentinel (α) | Skullgirls: Peacock (QCF + MK) / Parasoul (d/u + HK)

edit: and just so we all know, I've been watching the Vergil thread and his Dimension Slash can be countered if anyone ever wondered that

The super?

If so DS has 2 or the best lvl 1 in the game.
  • Seth K. MackSeth K. Mack All Seeing Eye of Agamotto! Come to my aid! Joined: Posts: 85
    The super?

If so DS has 2 or the best lvl 1 in the game.

Yep Maximum Vergil can be countered by 7RoR which would also mean Judgment Cut is fair game lol

edit:

it happens at around 8:34
    MVC2: Psylocke/Blackheart/ Doom or Iceman/Blackheart/ Strider or Doom/ Blackheart/ Amingo
    UMVC3: Doctor Strange/ Dormammu/ Doom (AKA Team "D" is for Death) Strange/Dorm/Vergil (AKA Team Teleports for days)

"Turn and run now, and I shall mercifully pretend this never happened" - Doctor Doom
  • Waffle NinjaWaffle Ninja aka Dr. Strange Guy Joined: Posts: 50
    Guys i'm so excited I might die! I can't wait for Ultimate lab and finding out that new tech.
    XBL: XDrStrangeGuyX
    weekend project: buy Skyrim and look for a tripod that fits my HD cam.

I'll try my best to record any tech or combos with Strange. I'm busy with IRL stuff (shoutouts to school and thesis papers LOL) so don't expect me to update frequently. I can record and test stuff after class while I theoryfighter during the day, but I don't know if I'll have time to upload or whatever. laziest thing I could probably end up doing is just put the camera there while it records me doing whatever in the lab and uploading the whole thing hahaha.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
    All those early games, I expected more DS videos to hit the net.
    Yep Maximum Vergil can be countered by 7RoR which would also mean Judgment Cut is fair game lol

it happens at around 8:34

Vergils other lvl 1 sword super hast to fall prey to 7 RoR also.
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭
    I thought it interesting that Gravity Squeeze is projectile counterable.
  • catbondcatbond The Wassailer Supreme Joined: Posts: 669
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

UMvC3: Haggar-α/Ryu-γ/Hulk-α, Frank-α/Haggar-α/Ghost Rider-α
    MvC3: Haggar-α/Deadpool-α/Amaterasu-β, Wolverine-γ/Doom-γ/Akuma-β
    SSFIV:AE: Dan, Dhalsim, Balrog
    BB:CS: Litchi, Ragna

Dat DLC costume! lol in the guide, his objective as the same as Dormammu's