That's why I'm a super soldier. Combos/Resets!

Comments

• Kei_Kei_ Joined: Posts: 584
    lmao, I will have to disagree with you sir. :p

Kei
  • kensanitykensanity Joined: Posts: 1,674
    Hmmmm....I suppose I should remember to actually post my team B&B combo one of these days huh? Sorry about the delay, at least it didn't take a full month...without further delay, here is my new for umvc3 team B&B.

It's slightly different these days just for simplicity I replaced the 2nd double jump with a very slight pause into M, M, H, d.H, S to finish Cap's portion before OTG. It's just a touch simpler to time that way against all body types.. (Tested on my usual Ryu/Wolvie/Dorm training dummies)

[media=vimeo]33497927

I also have a new mid or far corner combo with Spencer using Cap's assist instead of the old one I used to do. This one will take them the full length of the screen regardless of where it's started, it works even better with mid screen because you can get in some extra wire grapple lovin. It revolves around doing Spencer's M, H, S air loop after doing a sweep + Cap shield slash assist xx straight wire grapple/movement. The shield slash keeps them at the perfect height for being able to do the loops to big damage. It also looks pretty sweet too lol, maybe I'll put up a video on my vimeo page...

Btw, DAMN does Cap hurt soooo good :D

Kei
    that's a spiffy combo.
  • SirOptimusPrimeSirOptimusPrime Joined: Posts: 32
    I dunno if this treading old ground, but this combo is pretty entertaining (not amazing, but just kind of funny):

[c.L] st.MHS j.MMdHS Task-alpha (immediately) l. shield slash xx S xx arrows hit xx S j. MMHS l. ss hyper charging star

It does around 740k with mashing and puts the opponent in the corner from around midscreen (could probably be extended with double jumps, but that might ruin the followup b/c of hitstun), but the part that makes me lol every time is that the hyper combo re-corners the opponent and lets you set up really nasty mixups with taskmaster or doom or whoever and the variety of options that Steve can do with that extra hitstun. It's a dirty trick if your opponent isn't aware of what Cap can do, and is relatively safe against people that do.
    TOO MANY GAMES!
    that's a spiffy combo.

Thanks, I try to keep it classy :)

Kei
  • xFrankiesteinxFrankiestein Joined: Posts: 2
    Ok, not sure if this one has been posted yet, but I've come up with this solo, non-factor combo for Cap. (Can be done Mid-screen)

s.LMHS , sj.HuH xx Lss , land j.uH xx Mss , land S sj.MMuHS , land Lss xx Charging Star Super

DMG approx. 718,200.......DMG MASHED OUT approx. 757,600

Sorry if my annotations are ass lol, this is my first time posting a combo.
  • Faustian LogixFaustian Logix Just call me Faust Joined: Posts: 95
    I found this and recorded it. Sorry for the bad quality, but I couldn't find anything similar on YT.

• adam_primeadam_prime Tiger DESTRUCTION!!! Joined: Posts: 87
    I have a quick question on the combo I'm working on:

L, M, H, S, j.H, Air Shield Slash Light, S , j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, Shield Slash Light OTG, Charging Star Hyper

I'm having like 50/50 success whether or not I land the Air Shield Slash Light then a standing S. Sometimes they tech out before I have a chance to hit them with the standing S. Is it a timing thing on when I hit the Air Shield Slash during the jump? The reason I'm doing this combo over the more traditional Air Shield Slash Light, j.H, Air Shield Slash Medium is I'm trying to master a more basic BnB before trying something with more difficult timing.

Anyways, any advice? Thanks
    UMvC3: Captain America, Frank West/Hulk, Arthur/Firebrand
    SSFIV: Sagat
  • kensanitykensanity Joined: Posts: 1,674
    I have a quick question on the combo I'm working on:

L, M, H, S, j.H, Air Shield Slash Light, S , j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, Shield Slash Light OTG, Charging Star Hyper

I'm having like 50/50 success whether or not I land the Air Shield Slash Light then a standing S. Sometimes they tech out before I have a chance to hit them with the standing S. Is it a timing thing on when I hit the Air Shield Slash during the jump? The reason I'm doing this combo over the more traditional Air Shield Slash Light, j.H, Air Shield Slash Medium is I'm trying to master a more basic BnB before trying something with more difficult timing.

Anyways, any advice? Thanks
    u need to get the j H/ j uH to connect earlier. its an issue of the internal hitstun clock counting down too fast prior to your opponent returning to you from the shield slash
    Alright just spend about thirty minutes in training mode and I got down this:

c.L, c.M, c.H, S, j.H, Air L Shield Slash, land, j.H, Air L Shield Slash, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, L Shield Slash OTG, Charging Star Hyper
    Consistently getting 705K out of it. Now I just wonder how difficult it's going to be connecting that second j.H, Air Shield Slash online!

I'm loving the synergy on my team: Hulk, Cap, Firebrand. No matter who is behind Cap when I finish with that Charging Star Hyper in the corner I can DHC to Hulk or Firebrand for 850-900K and if I have three bars it's a for sure kill.

EDIT: Okay, just read the thread a bit more. Looks like if I want to max damage I should be going with M Air Shield Slash on the second rep, follow it with a L. Charging Star, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, OTG, Hyper.

I'm struggling between doing combos that I know are easy to execute and getting "fancy" and trying to go for the damage. Quite honestly, as scrub as this sounds, I try to keep combos with as little "motions" as possible in critical moments of combos. I was watching Marn's Cap on the stream this past weekend and that dude was doing NOTHING fancy, no air shield slashes or anything. But he didn't drop a single combo. I want to hit the combo that I feel confident that I will not be dropping... yall know what I mean!
  • ken123103ken123103 You're just mad because your angry Joined: Posts: 597
    I was watching Marn's Cap on the stream this past weekend and that dude was doing NOTHING fancy, no air shield slashes or anything. But he didn't drop a single combo. I want to hit the combo that I feel confident that I will not be dropping... yall know what I mean!

Marn is a fraud. Do not ever take any lessons, notes, or combo's from his cap. He sucks. He uses cap because he has easy mode combo's and has an effective way of getting happy birthdays with charging star. I do not accept him as a Cap player.
    UMvC3: Captain America, Spencer, Hawkeye

www.youtube.com/ken123103 <---- Amazing Captain America Videos, Check it out!

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Marn is a fraud. Do not ever take any lessons, notes, or combo's from his cap. He sucks. He uses cap because he has easy mode combo's and has an effective way of getting happy birthdays with charging star. I do not accept him as a Cap player.
    Hah, say what you will. He was using him effectively, but not optimally. I'm here to learn how to use him optimally. Plus his more "complex" combos are just more fun to execute than your standard LMHS goodness.
    Hah, say what you will. He was using him effectively, but not optimally. I'm here to learn how to use him optimally. Plus his more "complex" combos are just more fun to execute than your standard LMHS goodness.

I met marn the weekend UMvC3 came out and I played him using my Cap. And before he even faced me, he mocked me for using Cap and asked if I was actually seriously playing. -___- Now he uses him. . . . . .he is a fraud.

• BMsirhc1313BMsirhc1313 I'm 0ld Joined: Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I saw Marn playing Capt.America at bar fights then saw him use the generic ABCS combos. Theres a 700k combo thats just as easy as the ABCS and didnt know why he wasnt using that. Saw Alex Valle playing Capt. America on stream last night...again nothing impressive. Whats up with these pros using generic combos?

But I think Alex Valle was using Capt back in vanilla days too.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,687
    I met marn the weekend UMvC3 came out and I played him using my Cap. And before he even faced me, he mocked me for using Cap and asked if I was actually seriously playing. -___- Now he uses him. . . . . .he is a fraud.

how did you do against him?
    how did you do against him?

I was really scared and nervous lol and in a ft5 i ended up losing 1-5 :-( But it was the first week the game out and I was still adjusting. . . .oh well no excuses. Just know, if I ever get to face him again I will do wayyyy better than 1-5

I have a question about this combo, that I've been using as my BnB:

(Ground Series), S, j.H, Air L.Shield Slash, (land), j.H, Air L.Shield Slash, (land), S, j.M, j.H, j.S... Here's my question: L.Shield Slash OTG, Hyper Charging Star

Sometimes that Shield Slash OTG will hit twice, once when the shield is thrown and then one more time when it returns, other times the character with Tech out and recover when the shield returns. I messed around with this for about half an hour trying to figure out what exactly is the dependent variable that makes the second hit of shield slash OTG hit, and sometimes it doesn't. From what I gathered, it has to do with the timing with the Air S (?). I think that if I were to delay it as long as possible, and then threw the Shield Slash OTG that I would get both hits.... but after I thought that was it, sometimes it wouldn't work. It just seemed to be really 50/50 as to whether or not that return hit would register.

Anyone have an idea why this is, or what I need to be doing with the timing to make it always hit twice?... not in the corner of course. I usually test this starting mid screen or from the corner facing out of the corner. When both hits of the shield slash connect this combo does like 700+ damage, but if the second hit doesn't connect (from midscreen, it doesn't matter when you're facing into the corner) then you can't even land the Hyper Charging Star after the OTG.

Any protips here? Thanks
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    Yeah I saw Marn playing Capt.America at bar fights then saw him use the generic ABCS combos. Theres a 700k combo thats just as easy as the ABCS and didnt know why he wasnt using that. Saw Alex Valle playing Capt. America on stream last night...again nothing impressive. Whats up with these pros using generic combos?

But I think Alex Valle was using Capt back in vanilla days too.
    They use them because their reliable and hard to drop during the stress of a tournament.

And god I never wanna hear some random call a proven player a fraud ever again. Stay free.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • zenzenzenzen heartfelt fancy Joined: Posts: 3,489
    but if the second hit doesn't connect (from midscreen, it doesn't matter when you're facing into the corner) then you can't even land the Hyper Charging Star after the OTG.

Any protips here? Thanks

After landing from j.S, do a quick wavedash into L Shield Slash, and you'll hit HCS every time. Much easier if you do 2 button dash instead of double forward. Or you can try to position it to get both hits so you can do H CS after the 2nd hit, but one hit is easier and has less of a chance to drop.
    <dominos> what 2d isn't real?
    <AlterGenesis-X> my world is over
    <Stabby> "come back when you lose a few dimensions"
    They use them because their reliable and hard to drop during the stress of a tournament.

And god I never wanna hear some random call a proven player a fraud ever again. Stay free.

Interesting...unless you have selective imaginative reading then I dont know where you got me calling anyone a fraud. Stay dumb 09er.
    Nigga two things

1. The fraud part was not directed to you

2. I've been around since before 09
    Nigga two things

1. The fraud part was not directed to you

2. I've been around since before 09

1. I'm not black, "nigga"
    2. If your post has nothing to do with me or directed at me then dont quote me.

It sends me emails when you quote me, all you're doing is wasting my time kid.
    Btw, your argument about reliable and undroppable combos at a stressful tournament...are you forgetting that you're talking about marn here? He plays Zero that requires harder execution combos compared to Captain America. I'm sure he can easily do any of Capts combos at the tournament and not drop them.
    You'd be surprised how much execution for one character doesn't transfer over to another that well, and fuck you got players who hit the Viper and Magneto combos right and still do dumb BBCS shit with Sentinel. And like it was mentioned the easy shit for Cap hits decently hard so until he gets solid with Cap and ya know not sick as fuck I'm sure he's going to be doing the better shit.
  • Nini HeartNini Heart Red Pill Joined: Posts: 6,609
    Btw, your argument about reliable and undroppable combos at a stressful tournament...are you forgetting that you're talking about marn here? He plays Zero that requires harder execution combos compared to Captain America. I'm sure he can easily do any of Capts combos at the tournament and not drop them.

The zero combos marn does require very little execution and are very basic, yet he drops them like a stripper drops down to pick up some 50s. He needs to stop playing LoL and get some real fucking combos going
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    I ♥ Me
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Tiger_ClawTiger_Claw Hyouuuuu! Joined: Posts: 497
    nothing is wrong with keeping it simple with ultimate Cap. CAP has like 3 practical combos(the gimpy, ken, and the basic abc), all are viable. although marn doesn't know all the litte nuances of playing cap, he's definitely not a fraud
  • NessEagletownNessEagletown Joined: Posts: 41
    i know you wanna look cool while playing cap, and those air shield combos are great (i use them to confirm from Sj height). But i won't bullshit my BnB is just he (ground series), BBCdCS, otg HS, BBCdCs, otg HCS. i can throw nova assist and use lvl 3. My hands are retarded so i can't do anything flashy, but i love cap and that combo does about as much as the flashy ones and i hit it consistantly. Whats wrong with that?
    XBL: Nesseagletown
    UMVC: Cap/Nova/Akuma
    SF4: Sagat (Noobish)
  • Shadow2boltShadow2bolt Joined: Posts: 119
    ~snip~
    Any protips here? Thanks

Distance is the main variable but if you want the double hit for sure, judge distance and then a short backdash once you land hopefully should space you right for the 2 hits to connect.

And since this is a Combos and Resets thread, I'll post some that I've been working on using Spencer as an assist (and Doom to extend combos) once I've got all the goodies recorded.
    I'm very interested to see what your stuff looks like in comparison to the way I use Cap/Spencer. I personally think that these two are one of the best duos in the game, but I've been using them for soooooo long that I could be called biased now lol. (still think it's true) ;)

Kei

Here we are! Includes corner combo, midscreen reset (with 4 way mixup), corner reset (with 2 way mixup but can be 4 if you condition opponent to block) and a touch of death... sort of.

Basically it utilises his major changes with Spencer assist very well. I had forgot to include the double over head (similar to that one shown in the Ultimate assist me with Strider) but it is pretty easy to do.

Sorry about the quality by the way.

never seen those mixups before. that's sick. you on psn?
    Yup but I'm in Europe so it could lag.
    never seen those mixups before. that's sick. you on psn?
  • bryribryri Joined: Posts: 78
    1. I'm not black, "nigga"
    2. If your post has nothing to do with me or directed at me then dont quote me.

It sends me emails when you quote me, all you're doing is wasting my time kid.

Classy black people don't use the n word!
    umvc3:
    nova, doom, strider
    vergil, doom, strider

Here we are! Includes corner combo, midscreen reset (with 4 way mixup), corner reset (with 2 way mixup but can be 4 if you condition opponent to block) and a touch of death... sort of.

Basically it utilises his major changes with Spencer assist very well. I had forgot to include the double over head (similar to that one shown in the Ultimate assist me with Strider) but it is pretty easy to do.

Sorry about the quality by the way.

Well you made me posting my video pointless as you covered most of the stuff I've been using since the first game. However you left out one STUPIDLY good use of Spencer's assist, and the corner 'mixup' you posted as on big characters only isn't quite so.

Whenever I want to do a reset in the corner on anyone of a non chibi size (at least Wolvie or taller), you should ALWAYS...

1. Finish whatever air combo but make it as long as possible
    2. Land and IMMEDIATELY dash backwards + Spencer assist
    3. Cancel into L.shield slash then hold upforward

That will then cause the opponent to be pulled only slightly away from the corner which makes it very hard to see in the heat of battle which side you're going to attack from. You then have the option of using j.d.H instead of S which makes it even trickier to see. You should only use j.S in that situation if you want to absolutely cross them up, otherwise use d.H instead which can be done later, has very good priority, is easier to guarantee a follow up on, and won't push you far away if you want to go for a throw after a failed attempt.
    The other one that you didn't post is likely because you don't use my B&B combo so you may have never even tried this.

c.L, M, H, S (pursuit and immediately) M, u.H xx L.shield slash (land and jump), M, H (double jump) M, d.H + Spencer assist, S (land and immediately) dash forward, c.L........................win

I'll put up a vid of both that, the Spencer thing (works midscreen too just dash forward), and another I do with Ironman assist depending on situation. For the previous reset you MUST do a full forward dash, don't press down too early for the c.L or else you won't cross under them. That of course is part of the mixup, they have to guess which side you'll end up on, and you have approximately NO time to guess which makes it good.

I think I'll throw in a tick throw combo I like to use as well time dependant. It's been a while since I've posted any tricky stuff with Cap/Spencer/Stark, thanks for picking up the slack :)

Kei
    Ah right I see with the first corner crossup. Basically the same thing as what I showed only with a backdash first before the Spencer assist. Makes more sense but does it crossup on the ridiculously tall characters (like Sentinel and Nemesis)?

As for the second reset, it looks real tricky but more subtle than the one use. I'll give it a try when I get the chance to get the lab set up.
    I'm editing the video up now, then uploading to vimeo.

Yep the backdash version works on even the ridiculously tall characters, and in a way it works better since it's then SUPER hard to see which side they need to block on due to their freakish height. (I checked to make 100% sure just now before posting) My usual training dummies are Ryu, Wolverine, and Dorm so that I cover a very large spectrum of character heights.

That 2nd mixup is honestly the dirtiest thing I think I've ever come up with, after watching it on video it is just too good not to throw out there sometimes. Of course every mixup because less of a mixup if you abuse them, but if you keep stuff fresh....wow it's good!

The day I realized it's easier in this version (I used it in the first game, but it seemed harder then...maybe it was just me) I went through and tested against every single character except Phoenix (obvious reasons) and Shuma (keep forgetting to buy him lol). It will work on every opponent in the game I'd say.
    Kei
    (almost forgot to put the link lmao...don't be in a hurry...leave early next time)
    [media=vimeo]34377151

Sorry for the quick editing, there are captions on everything, but I didn't go through any fancy transistions and such since I was in a hurry to leave. Just pause (esp. the shield slash poke lol sorry) at the different sections if you have trouble, it's really not that bad.

Hope this stuff helps, I didn't literally put every single thing I use with them, but this stuff is easily enough along with Shadow's stuff that he'll post(ed) to help any of the others out there with the Cap and Spence 'Super Friends' team.

Oh, I'm going to post a pick of my final totals for usage, hours, etc. from vanilla MvC3. It's....well I keep telling people this game is crack to me. :D

Kei
    (almost forgot to put the link lmao...don't be in a hurry...leave early next time)
    [media=vimeo]34377151
    damn that cross under is just dirty as hell, no way anyone can see that
    Since I began using it...it has been successfully blocked exactly.............0 times. I wouldn't abuse it however, it's best kept as a surprise than something everyone knows is coming (like the old Wesker jump loop ---> command grab on incoming characters).

Sometimes I forget how fast it is since it's slow motion in my head, until I see it on video and realize how fantastic it really is. You can also stay on the same side and go for a reset, same side into throw, opposite side into throw, etc.

These two have lots of options you just have to open on that mind and spend some time looking for stuff you don't think would work. Spencer also gets some good high/low/throw mixups from shield slash assist during block strings. If it hits you go into jump loop (or another combo if you didn't sweep), if it doesn't hit then you mixup between high/low, throw, or command grab into jump loop setups.

I'm still looking for new stuff, but I've been fighting sooooooooooo much lately testing out their new abilities, working on movement (as always), spacing (as always), and trying out other characters/teams. I use an Iron Man/Hawkeye/Doom team as well, and my old #2 team of Spencer/IronMan/Doom. Iron Fist is getting some time as well, but it takes me a while since I like to spend stoopid amounts of time with each character.

Kei

My vanilla mvc3 stats just for fun, apparently I really liked that game lol (ultimate is hugely even better)

Character usage
    th_mvc3usage.png

Teams
    th_teams.png

Hours + Matches
    th_hours.png
    also the way you use that corner cross up is the reason shield slash assist is dirty in the corner. when they think that their back is protected by the corner, then they get pulled back in thus becoming free to cross ups
    Indeed, that's the reason I went through a huge amount of hours looking for stuff with Cap other than combos. I figured that despite not being able to traditionally combo from the return corner shield (usually), it should still serve some sort of purpose. I sat in training for a pretty long time finding out the different properties of the shield in the corner.

The main reason why I always backdash + Spencer assist in the corner, is because whether or not I'm going to cross them up, you need to make sure that the shield comes back to hit them prior to returning to you. If you do it without backdashing, then you jumping will call the shield upward...thus making it avoid them depending on combo length and character size.

On another note...

I was working about a week ago on different uses of the Iron Man assist after a corner combo. I'm trying to find the fastest ways to land a back air throw, switch sides with them, double side switch, and stuff like that. I did find that the old way I used to make sure I get max damage from a corner combo still worked though.

In vanilla if I caught the opponent in the corner, instead of going for some of the more technical corner combos (which I could do fine, but wanted more/easier damage due to greed) I would just use my Iron Man assist and the return hit from a shield slash to turn the combo into a 'full screen' combo instead.

In ultimate you can do a simple air series with a double jump, slam down, backdash (unless you're a touch far from the corner where you'd forward dash instead) + Iron Man assist, otg slash, dash forward and pause for the return hit, c.H, S (pursuit), M, M, u.H, S (land), otg shield, H.charging star xx Hyper Charging Star

The combo alone does over 750k, and goes literally from one corner back to the other corner lol. With my team of course this combo also leads to the Hate mail combo so I can go straight to Spencer's bionic maneuvers (or arm if you delayed the HCS input too much), pick 'em up again and go to armor piercer xx hyper lol

The Hate mail combo is usually cut a lil short since I like to sit on at least 1 meter (or 2 if at all possible), and because my main goal is usually accomplished already in that #1 I've very likely killed a character with the base combo (does a bit over 1 mil for 2 bars), and #2 I now have Spencer on point with 2 great assists and the opponent in the corner waiting for an incoming character mixup.

Kei