Xuandou Zhiwang, Chinese Free to Play fighting game (Currently in closed beta)

SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 569
Just got linked to this somewhere else, and I was wondering if anyone knew more about this.

A lot of aesthetic aspects seem ripped off from KoF pretty hard, but the gameplay seems...competent? And for some reason the visuals intrigue me and I want to see them in full quality.

http://17173.tv.sohu.com/v/7/0/107/MTA3NjA3OA== Gameplay
http://17173.tv.sohu.com/v/7/0/107/MTA3NjA0MA== CG trailer
Post edited by Slamtastic on

Comments

• Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 281
    Lazy rendering. And why animation is "so poor"? Attacks looks like static pictures (but intros\win\idle poses looks very smooth).
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭
    While visual and character design not my liking i welcome more fighting games.
    youtube channel keobas

http://www.youtube.com/user/keobas
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    KOFXIII?

But real talk, I saw about 8 different KOF fighters between the character's animations.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • JacopeXJacopeX "Veras el color rojo cuando termine contigo." Joined: Posts: 418
    Strange? Nah, Looks interesting.

I'd like to try it out. :)
    ST/Alpha 3/CVS2/SSF4AE2012: Claw
    XBL/GGPO: JacopeX (currently learning how to Fightstick...sorry. =( )
  • SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 569
    Strange? Nah, Looks interesting.

I'd like to try it out. :)
    Strange because it looks surprisingly good for a Chinese bootleg KoF.
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    I was running to here if someone know something but i guess we're all with the same questions, i don't know a shit about Chinese, just Japanese, we need help here guys!
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Scurred of LimeGreenPenis in my stocking. Joined: Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm living in China, I'll see if I can get some input from people, my Chinese sucks so I'm of no help, but I know people.

Honestly, this game looks good to me. I'd like to try it out myself.
    "I love you, you love me. Barney raped me by the sea." --Synonym
    "Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both? I can't find the penis. I need to find the penis." --Augustus
    "I'm pretty sure not getting kaz lynched will drive MP to insanity, and he'll spend the rest of days selling duck ramen with roasted kitten in them. Like turduckitten, without the tur." --Shadowwolf82
    Currently 7-4 in SRK Mafia
    One half of SRK's contingent to the Game of Mafia Champions.
    MVP of SRK Mafia All-Stars II
    Season 1 Best Mafia GM Golden Crust Award Winner
    http://www.jesustoastmafia.com - Where people from SRK go to lynch niggas.
    Searching the game title in Chinese characters yielded some news articles on it, with character art and direct screens.

I6EBB98AF27E.jpg
    54QZG84R0ZM8.jpg
    17I3B99TE5AK.jpg
    CE42XK928668.jpg
    118_162118_b2947_lit.jpg
    118_162118_7b26b_lit.jpg

I like the designs, even if they're cribbed pretty wholesale from KoF.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Scurred of LimeGreenPenis in my stocking. Joined: Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can gather, here's the name of the game:

Xuandou Zhiwang

Making sense of the title is not my forte:
    Xuan - To boast
    dou - Fight
    Zhi - is like an ambiguous pronoun, so it can mean him/her/it
    Wang - Monarch/King

So I would assume a paraphrased English translation of the title would be something like: Boastful Fighting King.
    "Why do I feel like I'm being fooled by you both? I can't find the penis. I need to find the penis." --Augustus
    "I'm pretty sure not getting kaz lynched will drive MP to insanity, and he'll spend the rest of days selling duck ramen with roasted kitten in them. Like turduckitten, without the tur." --Shadowwolf82
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭
    OMG guyz, look at our game it's so STREET!
    ... I mean KING!
    ... shit, I think they noticed.
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
    OMG guyz, look at our game it's so STREET!
    ... I mean KING!
    ... shit, I think they noticed.
    I agree that it looks like a LOT of borrowed concepts. And honestly, China is so hard up on KOF that I'm not surprised that the nation's VG developers best attempt at a legit fighter title looks strikingly similar to KOF. The influence is there, but I think this game looks pretty good.

I say stop judging it on appearances. Most every new fighter out now is a clone of a clone now.
  • HaceHace CHOW DOWN Joined: Posts: 1,236
    I think there's a stark difference from a strong influence and nearly ripping another game's aesthetics.

Also to me the sprites look very weird for some reason, but I can't place my finger on it.
    Also to me the sprites look very weird for some reason, but I can't place my finger on it.
    They seem to be pre-rendered cel shaded models, in the same vein of Chaos Breaker or Capoeira Fighter 3, albeit it looks like much higher quality and a nicer end result.
    Is this PC? it seems so
    Yes, definitely not an arcade release, and consoles are banned in China. PC for sure.
    Ok, reading on the gameplay video, it is the first look at the demo version of the game, or beta, somewhere between demo and beta for sure.

A lot of the comments on Sohu say the same things we're saying here: "Isn't this a ripoff of KOF/SF?" "No way this can compete with KOF or be better than it." "This isn't KOF?" "This game is useless, nothing more than a clone"

Then you also got the people hyped for this game despite that, "Looks good, can't wait." "Looks like KOF, but very creative"

I think it may be developed by Tencent, pretty much a tech giant in China. Don't know how easy it would be to get a copy for people outside of China, but I'll keep my eye on this.
    shit got real

http://xd.qq.com/
    shit got real

http://xd.qq.com/
    Yep, produced by Tencent. Thanks for the link.

I want to pick up this title. I also think that if it's produced by Tencent, that there will undoubtedly be online play available. I have never bought a game from them, and don't know how their netplay works, so I cannot tell you any further. I'm sure it will be good for me being over here (Wabars will end up with this game, and hardcore players will have it on their home computers) to find matches, but outside of China? Up to you guys.
    So this "Tencent" guys are some kind of social network? if so, if i'm a gringo/latin scum there is a problem with that? sounds like i will need some kind of subscription in order to play this right?, this will have a region-lock thing?
    I'm not sure about a subscription. Tencent pretty much runs online networking, save for Renren (I think) over here. Tencent produces the most popular IM client in China (QQ) and also runs a Microblogging service that's in competition with another one over here (Weibo).

There might be paid services needed for online play, but I don't know, I'll have to nose around later, but paying for this game is a definite yes, obviously.

You can get a QQ account, which is pretty much needed for getting this game in the first place. There's an international version of QQ (Don't know if there's limitations on your account if you sign up for an international version), but there are no restrictions on foreigners from signing up to use basic QQ services at the very least. For gaming and stuff, I'll have to thumb around, but we'll see.
  • BiGGDaddyCaneBiGGDaddyCane ☵☳☷☵☴☵☳☲☷☵ Joined: Posts: 913
    Game Looks pretty damn cool.

edit:
    ......hmmmmm art style reminds me of KOF.

But whatever, gameplay looks sick and hell I would like to try it out.
    " Watching Early 1900's Classics "
    KOF 98 Slugfest Dream Match Never Ends
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭
  • RindoukanKarateManRindoukanKarateMan I like Karate Girls Joined: Posts: 504
    I just hope that we don't get a re-boot of the 90's and 49494939020930 obscure fighting games that are terrible meant to cash in on the genres popularity.
    3rd strike-Makoto dudley
    ssf4-Makoto,Dudley,Guy
    Blazeblue-Bang,Bang,Bang,Makoto
    tekken-Raven
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • OutkastOutkast Go Clippers Joined: Posts: 346
    Looks cool to me, even if it's kinda ripping off KOF. The sprints look really good to me. Just looks clean. I hope I get a chance to play this someday.
    http://8wayrun.com/
    Play Soul Calibur 5......
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,575 mod
    Yes, definitely not an arcade release, and consoles are banned in China. PC for sure.
    Banned is a really harsh word.

I know you know what's up, but just in case other people reading this don't understand the situation: consoles aren't officially licensed/supported/distributed here, but in practice you can find them all over the place.

Just to warn you all about QQ:

Installing QQ is basically like agreeing to install spyware on your comp. I won't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you know what's up, but just in case other people reading this don't understand the situation: consoles aren't officially licensed/supported/distributed here, but in practice you can find them all over the place.

Installing QQ is basically like agreeing to install spyware on your comp. I won't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole.

Say word? I never had a problem with QQ in the last two years but, I trust you more than myself.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452
    Oh god the purple girl's eyes are enormous
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung

Ok, probably not the proper wording, but let's just say that sales of consoles are in the grey area. Basically, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are locked out of distributing consoles in China. Consoles over here are brought in from other areas, and from what I've been told, Xbox 360s are instantly modded for pirated games when they arrive here.

As for QQ, I haven't had any troubles with Spyware either. Bloatware on the most recent version? Yes. There are so many different pieces of additional Tencent software in that pack that it's ridiculous.

But I've had no red flags raised on the international version at all.
  • Predacon RampagePredacon Rampage Skullgirl Blood Joined: Posts: 404
    It looks great for a KOF clone, I like that the 3D models still fight like sprites and the characters designs are decent for KOF knock offs.

Supers seem to be umm extremely powerful, I saw him take a round like 3 seconds in? It's a very fast game.
    Oh god the purple girl's eyes are enormous.

I would say Not-Athena has smaller eyes than the real one.
    Skullgirls: Painwhee/Marie
    KOF: Iori, K', & Shen
    VS: Lilith Sub: Jedah & Demitri
    BB: Hazama Sub: Tager
  • adrua3dgadrua3dg Joined: Posts: 133
  • beesuitbeesuit I am become hat, brang of xmas Joined: Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ It's China. It's what they do and what they're known for. Who's gonna stop them anyway?
    From 4:30 and onwards. That dude be playing with one hand and fucken won. GODLIKE.

I must say that game looks mighty pretty as hell. Then you have some occasions where it's just still frames and you're just left asking "where'd all that smoothness go all of a sudden?" lol.
  • JacopeXJacopeX "Veras el color rojo cuando termine contigo." Joined: Posts: 418
    Those screenshots are funny. XD
    Strange because it looks surprisingly good for a Chinese bootleg KoF.
    Never played KOF so I guess that's why I let it pass. lol

Plus, I doubt they are the only series that ever copied off another famous franchise, yet people still play it. XD Not saying that's ok, but it should not get in the way of the value of the game.
    ST/Alpha 3/CVS2/SSF4AE2012: Claw
    XBL/GGPO: JacopeX (currently learning how to Fightstick...sorry. =( )
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Interesting, they got Xiaohai and Dakou to demo the mechanics. Can't say I'm too interested but I definitely want to pick this game up sometime.
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey it's not like Capcom has legal rights over silly looking punch trades! :sweat:

THE KING OF SPYWARES!
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    I'd also say regarding to the game not looking smooth that this is, as per the title of the video the "First Look" at the game, and it was at the Tencent Gaming Conference. It's a possibility that all animations are not finished, and they are still smoothing it out, but wanted to release something to show the public regarding the game.

I'd say wait until more is released a couple months later before judging it too harshly, we're right now at the point where we know very very little about this title. If the animation stays the same closer to the release of this title, then we can complain.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452
    What is this I don’t even...
    Spoiler:
    You seen any of the other trailers for Chinese knockoff games? I remember one TF2 ripoff that had scenes copied frame-by-frame form the Meet The vids. I'm sure there are other examples, too.
    It looks great for a KOF clone, I like that the 3D models still fight like sprites and the characters designs are decent for KOF knock offs.

Supers seem to be umm extremely powerful, I saw him take a round like 3 seconds in? It's a very fast game.

I would say Not-Athena has smaller eyes than the real one.
    Eh, I'm not sure about that. They're definitely huge. Though it may be her face making them look even bigger than the other girl's.

Wait, why am I focusing on this?

I'm ignorant when it comes to SNK games, but the fact that they got two of the arguably top players for KoF is… intriguing, to say the least. If they took an interest in demoing it, they must see something in the game.
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
    That's my thoughts too.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭
    the fact that they got two of the arguably top players for KoF is… intriguing
    Agree agree agree!
    If they took an interest in demoing it, they must see something in the game.
    Hopefully more than just a paycheque!
    http://t.qq.com/QQxuandou

They have started to show character portraits: Protagonist are called Ell Blue and Brazel, Athena ripoff is called Kaori Kuraki (lol Japanese? curious) and the sort-of-Freeman like is called Arashi, Japanese name again (Arashi is "storm"). I guess they want to keep the game "Japanese" in order to get more attention on the Otaku crew or something like that?
    Much higher quality (direct capture I believe) gameplay :http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI1NzE2NjA0.html

Wow! looks much better that i supposed, there is a way for embed Youku videos?

EDIT: Forget it, done.
    So their ...Chinese Twitter thing has been updating, with a few screens and art of the characters.

l0Clg.jpg
    9l1NN.jpg
    grYyl.jpg
    wlHIX.jpg
    F9D0M.jpg
    uF12M.jpg
    ON6SX.jpg

Honestly, the game is looking good. And I absolutely don't get the complaint that it's a ripoff of KoF. I don't see anything even remotely similar to-

KtW7A.jpg

Uh, yeah.
  • INCIDENTINCIDENT ACTION BASTARD! Joined: Posts: 335
    I noticed in the videos how Ell Blue was speaking English.
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shan woo :coffee:
    and of course he punches you and stuff
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • INCIDENTINCIDENT ACTION BASTARD! Joined: Posts: 335
  • Mad MistressMad Mistress Seimei wannabe Joined: Posts: 678 ✭✭✭
    I hope I get to play this when I move to China. There is something I love about rip-off games and this looks like it might actually be good.

Would you guys mind taking a look at my thread (linked in sig)? You could be helping me out a great deal. Thanks.
    Waifus: Litchi, Lambda-11, Mu-12, Shizuka, Ende, Yukiko, Chie, Saki, Dorothy, Lilica, Leona, King, Angel, Akira, Natsu, Hibiki, Kojiroh.
    Hazubandos: Akuma, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, Donovan, Gallon, Genjuro, Basara, Dio, Bison.
    Harems: Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel, Murica/Viper/Hulk, Dormammu/Hsien-Ko/Akuma, Beatrice/Virgilia, Rosa/Virgilia.
    Dat gamez: KOF98/2K2UM/13, SamSho4, SFA2/3, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Jojos BA, GG, AH3, P4A, MVC2/UMVC3, BB, Ougon, Skullgirls, Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen, Phantom Breaker Extra.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    K' fro is played out son.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Lion's Roar Joined: Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭
    It looks alright gameplay wise. I don't like the art style however.
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Zap Mama / Souls of Mischief / ChocQuibTown / Nas / Pete Rock & CL Smooth / Salsa Son Tiba
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ripoff aside (that's China for you: blew their wad as far as originality when they created Kung Fu) I think I like this.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!