Xuandou Zhiwang, Chinese Free to Play fighting game (Currently in closed beta)

1434446484958

Comments

  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,875
    Everything is a knock off, one of the backgrounds is lifted completely from Metal Slug 3 (the desert town) just redrawn to fit the games current art style.
    I see influences from SF, KoF, Tekken, BlazBlue. The characters are change just enough that you can't cry foul with copyright.

    But you also didn't notice I did say this game still better and more original than the new Killer Instinct for the Xbone.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited August 2013
    Darksakul wrote: »
    But you also didn't notice I did say this game still better and more original than the new Killer Instinct for the Xbone.
    I'd say you're nuts, but it's a matter of taste.
    yoh001 wrote: »
    Getting real salty that I can't play this game.

    Activation page updated:
    http://xd.qq.com/web201303/getcode.shtml

    (Stil trying to figure how it works)

    By the way, now beta keys given are linked to the QQ account you used to request it, what means you can't save your code and give it to another person. You have to use it to activate the very account you recieved it with.
    Post edited by Magegg on
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,114
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Everything is a knock off, one of the backgrounds is lifted completely from Metal Slug 3 (the desert town) just redrawn to fit the games current art style.
    I see influences from SF, KoF, Tekken, BlazBlue. The characters are change just enough that you can't cry foul with copyright.

    But you also didn't notice I did say this game still better and more original than the new Killer Instinct for the Xbone.

    I did notice, I just didn't give a damn to answer that because that's highly subjective and there's no point in starting a stupid ass argument in here over comparing it to a game it has nothing to do with in KI.

    But this isn't anything new. Knockoffs and taking influences from other games? IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. If anything it's ENCOURAGED in the Fighting Game Genre. It promotes a blending of cultures, art styles and play styles. Hell, other than slight jabs, developers in the Fighting Game Genre seem extremely friendly with one another. It allows for things like Crossovers to happen. Developers often wishing other developers the best, and even promoting them. They would probably see "knockoffs" as a compliment more than getting annoyed by it.

    Besides, Capcom and SNK would know better than to cry foul with copyright against Tencent. They'll benefit a LOT more from Tencent continuing to do what they're doing.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited August 2013
    The fact here is that XDZW's knock-offage is way more notorious than in any other recent fighting game. To the point they trace the animations for attacks that have nothing to do with, instead of inventing their own poses at least. If it wasn't that notorious, we wouldn't even be talking about that.

    That doesn't happen on other recent fighting games like Skullgirls, BlazBlue or Chaos Code, for example (probably on Yatagarasu, but you know why).

    Yes, there's a big level of knock-offage from XDZW in almost every aspect, and it's far from being an homage IMO. It is lazy design and lack of imagination. But it depends on you if you get bother by it or not; there are also a bunch of original elements here and there. So far, the game's solid on its gameplay department, so for me it doesn't matter.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    This thread has been around for over 2 years and you're just now noticing this?
    STOMP!
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    The XD stage is also probably more of a reference to this than Metal Slug.
    Kof98mideastbg.gif
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • BrandeXBrandeX Joined: Posts: 29
    edited August 2013
    Greets from China. Finally got a beta code to this the other day and was able to check it out. Complete Crap - what else can I say so simply or distinctly.
    There's a reason low quality local games never make it international guys, if you've ever played this game without blinders it would be easy to pick up on it immediately. I'm not just talking the typical rip-off of everything because no one respects IP, Trademarks, and Copyrights here - it's just plain sub par. One of the key factors holding it back is most yokels here are running pirated Win XP machines on a Celeron CPU with integrated intel gfx. So that means the resolution is locked at a ridiculously low rate. AND despite running at a solid 60fps (obviously on my gaming PC) everything looks like crap because it only has 2 or 3 frames of animation, as not to overtax those intel graphics chips. End result, despite being in 60fps it looks, feels and plays like some other fighter running at 20fps.

    I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I doubt I will justify spending much more time on it instead of playing a "Real" FG, or any other decent game for that matter.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    Ha ha. Nice.
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    Some real aggressive posts came through since I was last here...
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • WarpticonWarpticon Main otaku of SRK #2 Joined: Posts: 9,968
    yokels? :rofl:
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the compound.
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    it may be low end but as a fighting game, the gameplay and balance has[had] merit [before terry/beni/king patch imo]

    current damage is too high and only playing the game online is a major detraction
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    phantasy wrote: »
    current damage is too high

    The damage has always been high, it's 98.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    phantasy wrote: »
    current damage is too high

    The damage has always been high, it's 98.

    I disagree the damage's too high. Maybe only in a couple characters like Brazel, Terry or even Sheva. Most of the other characters have to perform good combos to get good damage, while in those characters' cases, they have them easy as breath.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    Join me in my #100 XDZW video with the start of my new video series :D

  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    every character having access to a lv2 super is increasing the dmg across the board.
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    phantasy wrote: »
    every character having access to a lv2 super is increasing the dmg across the board.
    Level 2 supers are not used that often, and they're not that much of an advantage.

    The only people I can think of it's really powerful because of their Hidden Supers are -again- Brazel (but that's because of the same reason of his other supers, so he's broken anyways) and Ray (adding a powerful grappler a hyper reversal move that deals tons of damage will never be a good idea, man .__.)
  • hjnshjns Joined: Posts: 50
    Enjoyed the vid @magegg
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    Da movelist

  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,114
    Hmm...character with auto combos to easy confirmed damage, a Super/DM that hits low and can crossup and a quick overhead flip special on an online based game.

    Uh...sure, why not? Most of their decisions have worked so far.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    I'm hesitant to call her "original" but aside from a bit of Juri-ness, I'd say she is reasonably her own entity.
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • hjnshjns Joined: Posts: 50
    looks nice
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    edited September 2013
    I'm hesitant to call her "original" but aside from a bit of Juri-ness, I'd say she is reasonably her own entity.

    I don't see the Juri influences other than the short projectiles. Her cr.B and overhead kicks look more like XIII Kula's j.CD/XI Kula's air projectile and they took the animation and made it into a launcher/rekkas/super/overhead. The skating animation is kinda similar to Kula and her command normal looks like the second part of Kula's cl.C.

    XDZW is the best because now I get to play two different Kula variants. Personally I think that one character with the Sealing powers is the most unique "move set" wise outside of her neutral stance which is just from general wushu anyways. I was hoping for more Jet Set Radio-ness from Ciel, though. At least some spray paint or something.

    Edit: watched more of the video and Ciel has Kula's cl.D. Thinking about it more, her DP arc is like Kula's and K's Crow Bites, even with K's hard knockdown ender that looks like XIII Kula j.CD. For sure we got double Kula.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited September 2013
    Saitsu wrote: »
    Hmm...character with auto combos to easy confirmed damage, a Super/DM that hits low and can crossup and a quick overhead flip special on an online based game.
    Have you ever played it?
    I'm hesitant to call her "original" but aside from a bit of Juri-ness, I'd say she is reasonably her own entity.
    Why Juri clone? Because of the black hair? She reminds me more of Poison.
    I don't see the Juri influences other than the short projectiles.
    She reminded me more of Poison.
    Laban wrote: »
    The skating animation is kinda similar to Kula and her command normal looks like the second part of Kula's cl.C.
    Running animation is not important. Her command reminded me of Hibiki from Last Blade II, instead.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,114
    Yes...if I haven't, I wouldn't say a thing as I wouldn't have ANY right to comment on anything considering the game.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited September 2013
    It seemed to me you were complaining about the game's online, but that mostly has to do with the fact we're trying to connect with severs on the other corner of the world, so it's natural single match won't flow as it should.

    But in the 6P 3v3 option, that is the more recommended for us, I have almost never found a hard problem like lag or delay, and I don't think I'll have any problem fighting Ciel because of the online. Characters like Ell Blue have very heavy cross-up and mix-up elements on their gameplay, I'm more worried about Blue, for example, than for a super that's mostly used to crown a combo in the end.

    About the high damage on her attacks, and combos being too long, I think Wuxie exhibits the same aspect, and it's not really broken. Also, it's very well-known in every fighting game, a new character is slightly doped at first, to appeal players to use this new proposal. But knowing Tencent, they will patch her the fuck out in less then one week if they overdosed.
  • MonpochiMonpochi Gallery Dweller | Casual FG fan Joined: Posts: 135
    edited September 2013
    Magegg wrote: »
    The fact here is that XDZW's knock-offage is way more notorious than in any other recent fighting game. To the point they trace the animations for attacks that have nothing to do with, instead of inventing their own poses at least. If it wasn't that notorious, we wouldn't even be talking about that.

    That doesn't happen on other recent fighting games like Skullgirls, BlazBlue or Chaos Code, for example (probably on Yatagarasu, but you know why).

    Yes, there's a big level of knock-offage from XDZW in almost every aspect, and it's far from being an homage IMO. It is lazy design and lack of imagination. But it depends on you if you get bother by it or not; there are also a bunch of original elements here and there. So far, the game's solid on its gameplay department, so for me it doesn't matter.

    Which is actually what I found sad about it, the missed opportunities. I've evolved more into appreciating what makes the game tick visually. The designs can stand on their own and it would've given the game so much more identity and appeal, if they all have completely original animations.

    Oh well, looking at the bright side, this game sure gives some amazing smut fodder. Claire x K' , Amenth x Bogard Brothers.... the possibilities are endless my brain is hurting from the deluge of ideas!

    Magegg wrote: »
    Da movelist


    Color me impressed~! A character that seems to have no direct sprite rip off in this game? Talk about an anomally! The animation on the hair looks flawless. :D

    "When people say evolution is a theory I just yell SO IS GRAVITY and then I push them out of a window."
    - teaorcoffee

    Stuff I did :3 ... > http://matsunoki.deviantart.com
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Thinking about it, the stomp super is kinda like Anji's Overdrive where he stomps just like Ciel does and spins around. You'd think being named Ciel, she'd have some of Type Moon's Ciel moves or something.
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,114
    Magegg wrote: »
    It seemed to me you were complaining about the game's online, but that mostly has to do with the fact we're trying to connect with severs on the other corner of the world, so it's natural single match won't flow as it should.

    But in the 6P 3v3 option, that is the more recommended for us, I have almost never found a hard problem like lag or delay, and I don't think I'll have any problem fighting Ciel because of the online. Characters like Ell Blue have very heavy cross-up and mix-up elements on their gameplay, I'm more worried about Blue, for example, than for a super that's mostly used to crown a combo in the end.

    About the high damage on her attacks, and combos being too long, I think Wuxie exhibits the same aspect, and it's not really broken. Also, it's very well-known in every fighting game, a new character is slightly doped at first, to appeal players to use this new proposal. But knowing Tencent, they will patch her the fuck out in less then one week if they overdosed.

    I'm not complaining so much about the game's online as online play for games in general. Even at the best it can get wonky.

    My potential issue with Ciel is that she seems set to thrive in an online community. High damage isn't a big issue unless it's Pre-Patch Terry damage (and that came with huge stun). She's not so much a broken character, in no way can we make any sort of judgment on that before having a lot of time grinding with her, it's just she's really built to potentially abuse the online aspect where reaction time is slightly slowed at best and the fact that she has an auto-combo that leads to very easy confirms for great damage.

    Ignoring the online aspect, she looks like a fine character. Damage on her stomp DM might be slightly high for what it can do, but nothing worth bitching about at length. Interesting enough design. Solid normals, good crossups, easy confirms. We'll see what she can do soon.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited September 2013
    Laban wrote: »
    Thinking about it, the stomp super is kinda like Anji's Overdrive where he stomps just like Ciel does and spins around. You'd think being named Ciel, she'd have some of Type Moon's Ciel moves or something.
    Which in turn, is a copy of Omega Rugal's stomp on KOF '98 IIRC. Which, at the same time, might be a copy of some thing before that. It's a kind of move with a kind of mechanic. We can't really blame something now for not being entirely original, when fighting games have been out there for more than 20 years.
    Monpochi wrote: »
    Which is actually what I found sad about it, the missed opportunities. I've evolved more into appreciating what makes the game tick visually. The designs can stand on their own and it would've given the game so much more identity and appeal, if they all have completely original animations.

    Oh well, looking at the bright side, this game sure gives some amazing smut fodder. Claire x K' , Amenth x Bogard Brothers.... the possibilities are endless my brain is hurting from the deluge of ideas!
    I agree on that, it's a little or a much of a shame that if you want to show the game to a friend, so many things will pop up like copied for other games. But in the best of the cases, one could at least appreciate there's also more originality on this game than what people see at first glance.

    As for the "knock-offing", I don't completely agree with many of these; I mean, people saying Legend is exactly like Akuma, pffft! The first characters were easily the worst cases, but you got to remind Tsukikage and Claire are "2.0" versions of Freeman and Kula, while Kuraki looked like a botched down Athena and Brazel a not-so-well-disguised K' skin.
    But then, when you get more into the game, you realize these have reasons to be (for example, Tsukikage and Claire are way better than their counterparts IMO, like the designers said "you know, I would have done it this way", and Kuraki is a simplified Athena with a more zoner role and very effective in what she does) and at least one could appreciate the cool designs.

    Latter characters might be more "concept-inspired" than "gameplay carbon copies", main example Yan: even his animations are completely Rock Howard and his fighting style (fire punch combos) are a direct homage to Kyo Kusanagi, in the gameplay mecahnics, he's completely different to Kyo.

    Finally, I've even started to think this could be a good thing, as I see this game as a "spiritual successor" for the KOF series. In fact, this could easily be branded as "KOF XV", a "KOF XD" spin-off or something like that, include a tenth more of classic "must" KOF guest characters (Mai, Iori, etc.) but introduce the XDZW characters as "the new generation"... And them being so resembling (and at the same time, pretty different) to some people from KOF, you wouldn't miss that much your classics, and you would have a good time learning to use these "newcomers".

    And being branded under the KOF label, the animation ripoffs (that are clearly the most objectable thing of the whole knock-offage) would feel redeemed.

    @Saitsu : Very good reflections, I guess you would like a little more speed in the game.
    Post edited by Magegg on
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    I was thinking more of the arc of the jump and fall. Rugal kinda just jumps at you with a normal-ish arc.

    I think the main thing I don't like about the game are the two button throws because they're so shitty. It's like a worse off command throw that doesn't do much damage. The thing would be more viable, but there's alternate guard in the game so it's really easy to punish tick throw attempts with full combos. Two button throws with whiff animation in this game is really a step backwards unless they make it not have a whiff animation, or take out alternate guard, or return to one button throws without whiff animations (because CVS2 set the precedent that there can be 1 button throws and whiff animations.) I'd rather see the latter.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,330
    Laban wrote: »
    I was thinking more of the arc of the jump and fall. Rugal kinda just jumps at you with a normal-ish arc.

    I think the main thing I don't like about the game are the two button throws because they're so shitty. It's like a worse off command throw that doesn't do much damage. The thing would be more viable, but there's alternate guard in the game so it's really easy to punish tick throw attempts with full combos. Two button throws with whiff animation in this game is really a step backwards unless they make it not have a whiff animation, or take out alternate guard, or return to one button throws without whiff animations (because CVS2 set the precedent that there can be 1 button throws and whiff animations.) I'd rather see the latter.

    I think the major thing with 2 button throws as a design choice is to force you to commit to throw instead of having a ton of OS bullshit where you never have to worry about if you're going to throw or not because it'll just happen if your opponent needs to be thrown. I do think that throws as a mixup option aren't super strong because of alternate guard, but at the same time you can throw people out of DP so it kinda opens up a different blockstring meta where you have to guess the frame trap or the throw to decide whether to reversal out or not. DP will beat frame trap but lose to throw, throw tech will beat throw but lose to frame trap, roll will beat frame trap but lose to throw. Throw becomes more of a punish and read tool than a mixup tool.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    Newest trailer:

  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    edited September 2013
    i think 2 button throw was for online purposes
    it may not be but it could be.

    say all you want about 1 button throw vs 2 button throw, 2 button should technically have less OS's and you have to be more intentional with throws and throw techs
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Having normal throw OS's an integral part to KOF though. Especially for the grappling character, most characters would have to try to read a command throw on oki and choose to jump out or not. The mix-up in return is for the grappling character to choose to go for a normal throw OS so that the whiffed normal can tag the opponent as one is jumping out. The expectation changes in which the opponent will start teching more often and weighing in risk and reward. Then the player can choose to start using more command throws to beat tech attempts.

    Note this is mainly on oki where the opponent isn't induced in block stun and the grappler has earned the knockdown to have a strong mix-up option. Alternate guard makes command throw options not as strong in neutral since they're easily punished on whiff; so, the grappler has to earn that knockdown to get the strong mix up like how the grappler in SFII needs to inch his way in, somehow get the knockdown, then have a strong oki/tick game up close.

    For a game that "aspires" and "tries to be 98," making two button throws to shallowly create "change" doesn't do much for the game. Throws already beat a bunch of DPs, although not all of them, in 98 so that doesn't really change much. Then making them have a whiff animation is balls. Against DPs, Rolls, Frametraps, Whiff Throws, whatever you can alternate guard against all of that, find an opening in the rule of 2, and punish accordingly through pure fundamentals.

    Like if you seriously think that throw OS's are too good and don't belong in "KOF/XDZW" or that it's fine to have normal throw whiff animations like in KOF12, I'm sorry to say that you don't understand KOF that well yet. Sparkster understands, mops the floor with the Western players online, and does agree that normal throws are shitty and he punishes that for free.

    I'd say the game would benefit if they either leave two button throws as two buttons and remove whiff animation, or return 1 button throws and have a heavy attack whiff. Then to balance around the OS, choose what type of normal is whiffed to increase or reduce the effectiveness. There is a reason why Kyo's Normal Throw OS is better on his C Throw by having an uppercut come out on whiff in 2 frame start up but only nets a frontal soft knockdown while his D throw nets a hard knockdown back turn for a deadly mix up but throws them out of the corner/behind him and has a slower, janky kick on whiff with not as much vertical coverage. Or that Daimon has a better D throw on whiff to tag jump outs but only throws behind him and soft knockdown while his C throw is a mash throw that can't be teched at all (even during rolls unlike other throws) but has a lower range to tag jump outs.

    Or if XDZW wants to make normal throws into shitty command throws, then turn up the damage on normal throws into command throws and be able to cancel into them. It would make throws better, but it would make things very homogenized and everyone into a semi grappler. That should be kinda fine though since everyone in Vampire Savior has a universal command throw so it should work in XDZW. And hey, it would set it apart more from 98 while having an option that isn't almost completely useless.

  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    lol i understand that there is a deeper balance thing going on within throws and most of the stuff you posted is fascinating to me
    but i doubt whoever is in charge of balancing this game knows that either

    i'm not saying i know anything here, i'm just saying that i would believe it if someone told me 1f throws on close C/D would be sloppy on rollback netcode.
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
  • LabanLaban KOF98 Player Joined: Posts: 2,558
    edited September 2013
    phantasy wrote: »
    lol i understand that there is a deeper balance thing going on within throws and most of the stuff you posted is fascinating to me
    but i doubt whoever is in charge of balancing this game knows that either

    i'm not saying i know anything here, i'm just saying that i would believe it if someone told me 1f throws on close C/D would be sloppy on rollback netcode.

    I know it works well in KOF98. Although in 98, the throws are instant about 0 frame but there is inherent input delay built into the game. So when you input a throw, the game delays the actual start up by 3 frames. So the throw takes 3 frames to come out, but when it actually starts up it's instant. That's why there is a silly buffer window with throws in KOF games. Like, you can hit cl.C then press forward or back 1-3 frames after hitting the C button and then you accidentally get a throw.

    So if XDZW is really like or wants to be 98, I can picture a return of 1 button throws that could work well in rollback netcode. I play up to 160 even 170 ms on GGPO for KOF98 without any rollback or latency issues (the reason of high ms is because I play against Asian players across the ocean), so it shouldn't be much of an issue as long as it isn't like ST or Guilty Gear 0 frame throws that truly start up instantly and on command.
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You have tons of tech frames in ST, so the instant throw thing kinda balances out.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    You can check now my character review for Brazel:

  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    Is the client updated yet or did I get bad info from TFG (yeah, somehow I got some XD news from TFG, weird)?
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,991
    edited September 2013
    Is the client updated yet or did I get bad info from TFG (yeah, somehow I got some XD news from TFG, weird)?
    The patch was postponed to September 5 (and it is Sep 5 right now in China).

    I gave a XDZW account to TFG's admin as a present. So, he's motivated to post a little more about the game.

    Game is down right now. They're more than surely uploading the new version. Can't wait to Ciel.
Sign In or Register to comment.