Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & ProfanityJoined: Posts: 20,778
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
aliendeathsmilie.gif - EDIT 24/09/12 Thread now Official SRK Prometheus/Alien/AvP Thread

First batch of Prometheus SRK reviews start from Page 8 OnWards

Someone stole the the search button, so no idea if there is an older thread...that said I'm very excited to have Ridley Scott back making Alien movies. Out next summer

Here are some pics released earlier this week
http://io9.com/5862143/first-images-from-ridley-scotts-prometheus-play-with-the-alien-mythology

tumblr_lv4iuuqO7p1qzozj1.jpg

Hollywood really sucky at photoshop...
tumblr_lv4ixss3PX1qzozj1.jpgtumblr_lv4ivbQrMR1qzozj1.jpg

tumblr_lv4izawhYi1qzozj1.jpg
tumblr_lv4j0r1emZ1qzozj1.jpg

Post edited by The Furious One on

Comments

• SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    Ive been waiting for this movie for awhile. I asked Lance Henrikksen if he was in it a few months ago, but he was giving nothing away.

The idea behind the movie is great, and I can't wait to see this
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Great! I've always wanted to see how the mysterious Space Jockeys looked like in the flesh.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • ArsenalArsenal Not even close Joined: Posts: 4,195
    Prequels turn me off, especially when it comes to such a classic movie like "Alien". Really hope this isn't Scott's "Phantom Menace".
    Ridley doesn't really make bad movies, so I'm ok with this. And the story sounds pretty good.

I kinda hope he can fit in Predators, so I can finally have an Alien/Predator movie that isn't shit
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Prequels turn me off, especially when it comes to such a classic movie like "Alien". Really hope this isn't Scott's "Phantom Menace".
    Unlike Phantom Menace, having a prequel for the Aliens franchise actually makes sense, especially since there are so much backstory behind their origins that could be explored (i.e., Space Jockeys, Predator homeworld, etc.). Star Wars prequels felt much less obligatory.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • Lazyjosh2Lazyjosh2 Joined: Posts: 1,071
    as long as its better then alien 3 and 4
    You wish you were mario
    as long as its better then alien 3 and 4

I didnt mind 4 so much, but thats probably because I wanna have sex with Winona Ryder, and Hellboy was in it

• ArsenalArsenal Not even close Joined: Posts: 4,195
    Unlike Phantom Menace, having a prequel for the Aliens franchise actually makes sense, especially since there are so much backstory behind their origins that could be explored (i.e., Space Jockeys, Predator homeworld, etc.). Star Wars prequels felt much less obligatory.

To say that there wasn't as much potential with the original Star Wars trilogy as there is with the Alien franchise doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • SF-Zero2SF-Zero2 Pronounced AlphaZero Joined: Posts: 1,373
    Leave the Predators out of it please. Videogame and comic crossovers, fine, theatrical releases, please just stop. I like Predator. I like Predators. But Predator is B-Level shit compared to Aliens, especially in Scott/Cameron territory.
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    For all the references the Metroid franchise has made to the Alien franchise, it's funny that Charlize Theron looks a little like Samus.

An official teaser was leaked a couple weeks ago, but it was taken down and I can't find a copy of it.
    Ha. You make it sound like Scott's treated any of his movies like Lucas has treated Star Wars. I'll keep an open mind, even though there's potential for criticism already (looks like the familiar 'used future' aesthetic is out, it's going to be PG-13, etc)

Predator is B-Level shit compared to Aliens, especially in Scott/Cameron territory.
    Not really.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,778
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    For all the references the Metroid franchise has made to the Alien franchise, it's funny that Charlize Theron looks a little like Samus.
    \hahahahahaha damn.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • YMDSLTSACYMDSLTSAC Joined: Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The black guy dies.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
    -Buddha

"Don't let it happen to you like it did to me, I was a black zombie."
  • mIRCmIRC GOD OF SMPTE Joined: Posts: 7,445
    I'm getting The Dig vibes from that second picture.
    A PG13 rating shouldn't scare anyone, if you know Scott, you'll have the unrated directors cut/shitload of special features DVD edition.

And Alien 3 "Directors' Cut" is worth watching, even if David Fincher still wants nothing to do with it. Just wish they had cut that goddamn egg on the wall of the Sulaco in the opening though. Kill Hicks and Newt, fine. Random ass egg suddenly inside the ship? GTFO :rofl: But a much better movie with 40 minutes added back in.
    If you can find the quadrilogy edition of 3, it'll have the "Tales from the Wooden Planet" documentary, which goes pretty in depth into Vincent(What Dreams May Come) Ward's version of 3. Strange but interesting.
    whoa, have you seen Alien 3 Director's cut, I enjoyed that more than Aliens, no lie :sweat:
    I hated alien 3. Dont know why, maybe it just plain sucked ass compared to aliens. Also I hated the whole story, its like we already know what is going to happen. Theres no plot twist only towards the end though, and nothing really exciting happens in the movie. At least in Aliens you had no idea what was going to happen, and who was going to live, and compared to the last sence of the movie with the alien queen fight and alien 3's ending, aliens wins hands down
    You wish you were mario
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Goddamit, Scott! After this, you better do a "Return To Legend"!!...or get with Peter Beagle for a live action Last Unicorn, or just do a flick based on Steven Boyette's "Ariel". I ain't picky.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    I really hope it has nothing to do with the original Alien movies, we've had too many of them already.
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    I still don't see a reason for this movie. Alien doesn't need a prequel. Aliens didn't need a Sequel. Just bleedin the last bit of blood out of this corpse.

I like Charlize Theron and Idris Alba and it IS Ridley Scott so I'll probably watch it anyway.

Charlize does look like Samus tho heh. Good point Taito.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    I really hope it has nothing to do with the original Alien movies, we've had too many of them already.
    I dont know, people had thier doubts about Batman Begins, and it became one of the best batman movies ever. And it also proved that rebooting movies works
    You wish you were mario
    Scott does seem to be trying to put distance between Prometheus and the Alien flicks....he's said it's not going to be an Alien movie in the way people are imagining it......then all the all actors give winks and say "Yeah, it's an Alien movie". I doubt it's going to end on LV426 with the Nostromo landing or anything.
    I've mentioned Charlize Theron being the perfect Samus for nearly a decade now, with Zoe Bell as her in-suit stunt double.

• chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    I still don't see a reason for this movie. Alien doesn't need a prequel. Aliens didn't need a Sequel. Just bleedin the last bit of blood out of this corpse.

I like Charlize Theron and Idris Alba and it IS Ridley Scott so I'll probably watch it anyway.

Charlize does look like Samus tho heh. Good point Taito.
    lol...alot of people will watch it because it's aliens and ridley scott will makes tons of money...that's the reason..
    lol...alot of people will watch it because it's aliens and ridley scott will makes tons of money...that's the reason..
    I meant beyond the money grab aspect of it.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

• Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    i always imagined the alien creature to be some type of BIO-lab forged WMD creature made by the race of that humanoid life forms who's spaceship crashed on the planet of the first movie.
    why?
    -cuz the alien monster is ridiculously tough, i mean, acid for blood? c'mon!
    -cuz that spaceship only had one fossilized humanoid alien that was visible...which makes the spaceship feel like a transport freighter. (since its a huge ass ship with only one ET person to be driving it)
    -cuz the humanoid driver sent out an infinite warning signal...as if to say, he knew that parasitic monster was just gonna find some bs way to survive no matter what....like a roach
    -cuz no fucking planet would have a functioning ecosystem with a bad ass, impossible to win without nuking everything type beast...... being some "natural" part of a planet's ecosystem.

but if u introduced logic to the first movie.....there would be no movie.
    since no one is gonna bring some alien creature on board, regardless if its on someone's face....for the simple fact that that alien could have "space cooties"....ie, viruses, bacteria, microbial infectious disease.
    if that alien sneezed once, everybody on ship would die in less than 24hours. with no hope of salvation. including the cat.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    and also 90% of sci-fi horror movies suck and this might not
    You wish you were mario
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    I dont know, people had thier doubts about Batman Begins, and it became one of the best batman movies ever. And it also proved that rebooting movies works

what exactly can they put in a reboot that we havent seen in the originals. At least in batman they can use different villains.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    what exactly can they put in a reboot that we havent seen in the originals. At least in batman they can use different villains.

Trust me. You have a lot of leeway when it comes to interpreting the Alien or even the Predator. Just read those Dark Horse comics. Some of the best ideas were never used in those movies. Admittedly there's some really bad comics too (more bad Predator comics than Aliens comics though) but a lot of great ideas just the same.
    STOMP!
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    but if u introduced logic to the first movie.....there would be no movie.
    since no one is gonna bring some alien creature on board, regardless if its on someone's face....for the simple fact that that alien could have "space cooties"....ie, viruses, bacteria, microbial infectious disease.
    if that alien sneezed once, everybody on ship would die in less than 24hours. with no hope of salvation. including the cat.

1st: The Android on the Nostromo (Ash) was sent by the company to secure the creature and bring it back. The crew was expendable. If you remember, Ripley did refuse to let them on board when Kane had the facehugger attached. It was Ash that bypassed her order and let them in and subsequently allowed the creature to do it's thing.

2nd: Eh, maybe. It's a funny scenario I'll give you that. But I think it's pretty obvious that the Alien was working on instincts, it cultivated a nest and kidnapped the crew for food and 'breeding' if I am to go off of the deleted cocoon scene from the film.
    It can't really do that if it destroy's the ship.
    STOMP!
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    And Alien 3 "Directors' Cut" is worth watching, even if David Fincher still wants nothing to do with it. Just wish they had cut that goddamn egg on the wall of the Sulaco in the opening though. Kill Hicks and Newt, fine. Random ass egg suddenly inside the ship? GTFO :rofl: But a much better movie with 40 minutes added back in.
    If you can find the quadrilogy edition of 3, it'll have the "Tales from the Wooden Planet" documentary, which goes pretty in depth into Vincent(What Dreams May Come) Ward's version of 3. Strange but interesting.

I agree I look a lot more favorably on Alien 3 Directors Cut.

This is probably the first thing I've been genuinely looking forward to for a while!
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,634
    Ridley doesn't really make bad movies, so I'm ok with this. And the story sounds pretty good.

I kinda hope he can fit in Predators, so I can finally have an Alien/Predator movie that isn't shit

Damn. Out of all the dumb posts you've made this is quite possibly the dumbest, a bold statement I know but it's been a while since I've seen so many wrong things put together in 2 lines.

W-W-W-W-W-WELL DONE

/Tyga.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Damn. Out of all the dumb posts you've made this is quite possibly the dumbest, a bold statement I know but it's been a while since I've seen so many wrong things put together in 2 lines.

W-W-W-W-W-WELL DONE

/Tyga.

I don't follow. Ridley Scott's movies are some of my favourites. And I dont want predators to have a starring role, just show them getting made by the Space Jockey's or something, so we can do away with the canon that Predators made Aliens that seems to be running rampant in the AvP movies. I'm just looking for a nod, I guess I could have worded that better

I don't follow. Ridley Scott's movies are some of my favourites. And I dont want predators to have a starring role, just show them getting made by the Space Jockey's or something, so we can do away with the canon that Predators made Aliens that seems to be running rampant in the AvP movies. I'm just looking for a nod, I guess I could have worded that better
    It was never canon that Predators created the Xenomorphs, even in the movies they hint that they stole technology from the elsewhere aka the Space Jockeys. IIRC, in the comics it was shown that a bulk of Predator tech was merely stolen and improvised from other alien races (or maybe just the Space Jockeys entirely).

It's going to be exciting to know the origin of this super-advanced alien race.

Leave the Predators out of it, completely. They had there chance with the AVP movies and they blew it. Requiem had it's moments, the part where the blond chick gets tagged by the Predator boomerang was awesome. But AvP is a novelty act for the movies. The implication that the Aliens were one Earth, the whole time, resting frozen in a pyramid......that just sucked. No way do I want to see Scott try to reconcile that shit, especially the impossible containment issues of the Requiem.....

Might as well make an Aliens vs. Predator vs. The Thing, were the survivors of the Thing prequel and AvP meet up and talk about how much Antarctica sucks.
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just about every other movie he makes sucks. It's the other half that's good and we all want.

So the question is, will this be a peak or a valley on rottentomatoes?

ps He absolutely ruined what was an original take on Robin Hood. The original writer came up with a brilliant story, but Scott butchered it and turned it into another gritty remake starring Crow.
  • kz0060kz0060 I love you cashcall Joined: Posts: 369
    Not that I've been itchin' for another AvP film but I've always said another remake should be based on Alien timeline/setting. A good reason why the last AvP movies blew was b/c you had a bunch of pansy civilians as the protagonists. They messed around with the starcraft formula and had zerg vs. toss vs. archaelogist/town sheriff. Fuck man. I want rugged space marines and strong-minded characters like Ripley holding shit down. Can you imagine a pred trying to hunt someone like Ripley and get shit wrecked cuz she's experienced, intelligent badass? I think it would be awesome imo.

But about Prometheus...sounds interesting. I too hope they expand more on the spacey jockeys if it is a prequel.
    (((( ;゚Д゚))) oh snap son.

Worthless is a good man
  • GeneralHannibal_GeneralHannibal_ GeneralBlue Joined: Posts: 332
    Not that I've been itchin' for another AvP film but I've always said another remake should be based on Alien timeline/setting. A good reason why the last AvP movies blew was b/c you had a bunch of pansy civilians as the protagonists. They messed around with the starcraft formula and had zerg vs. toss vs. archaelogist/town sheriff. Fuck man. I want rugged space marines and strong-minded characters like Ripley holding shit down. Can you imagine a pred trying to hunt someone like Ripley and get shit wrecked cuz she's experienced, intelligent badass? I think it would be awesome imo.

But about Prometheus...sounds interesting. I too hope they expand more on the spacey jockeys if it is a prequel.

Only if it was a newbie predator like the ones in the first AvP. If she took one of the higher level predators I would be super pissed.

the problem with AvP is they seem intent on having it on earth (budget reasons), and during this time period (and establishing the Alien and Predator mythology). The comics were great because they didnt do that shit. It was just space colonies and space marines getting fucked up by Predators. And you got Pred vs Pred fights, and good characters. They should have JUST made the comic into a fucking movie, and I would have bought it in a heartbeat

lol not really they still used joker and two face. And the xmen reboot added some new mutants also. Though those movies proved rebooting movies works with new stories and ideas, which this movie will do also. Its hard to judge something that is not even out yet.
    You wish you were mario
    That last AVP movie wasn't toooooo bad.