Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

Comments

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    It's been awhile since I saw the movie but didn't they spill the black goo then get lost on their way out? So in the course of a few hours the earthworms mutated, one left the room, chilled around in the tunnels for a bit, shed it's skin, then returned the to the room, and closed the door. I see.

Door was never closed, Fifield's pups read lifeforms but then loses them
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,854
    also the deleted scenes should have been kept in so there would be more coherence in the movie. according to the new clip david says to engineer that peter wanted immortality, which we already assumed in the original theatre version. but somebody that sees the new added engineer scene needs to post up and tell us as to whatever david translates.
    thank you.

Posted a new link in reply to sexperienced, check it out

i'm gonna say that the 1st 45 minutes of the movie made sense completely, but the last 45 minutes was a jumbled up mess.
    i'm gonna assume waylands daughter knew the old man was on the ship, and that the operating pod was for the geezer, and that she claimed it was hers, of course since she wasn't gonna say its for her grandpaps to the crew thats oblivious of peter being on the ship. plus, he may not have been awakened if they didn't find a live engineer. so why tell the crew its for peter thats secretly onboard when he might not even get awakened anyway.
    i believe david asked the engineer "can you bestow immortality to the old one?"
    thats my belief.
    i think the only reason the engineer went balistic and flipped out on the crew is because:
    since if we suppose the space jesus theory,...the engineers were going to destroy humanity since humanity rejected their artifically made envoy(ie jesus) and the engineers decided humanity was a failed experiment...when the engineer woke up and saw the female scientist physically assaulted coupled with the egotistical question proposed by david on peter wayland's behalf...the engineer realized humanity had NOT evolved in the social sciences and decided to go through with the plan of destroying mankind that was hampered due to the black biological WMD getting mishandled and killing his crew.

When Engineer boards the escape pod, he seems amazed by the human's technology particularly the girl playing the violin. He's initial rage might have been replaced by awe when he heard the symphony. But then he notices Shaw and she attacks him with an axe :lol:
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 6,981
    This movie was dumb. I still lol at the way Charlize Theron dies. Bitch take 1 step to yo right or left.
    Someone you guys may have already heard the Ridley and Lidelof commentary (if you haven't PM me). I have to say I enjoyed Lidelof's commentary more so that Ridley's. Ridley talks more about the film making process were as Lidelof and Spaihts talk about the story and the characters in depth.

I did some googling and came across an article that gave a clever explanation to why the moons were named LV-223 and LV-426

Originally it was said that this was lunar vector or latin that translated to living moon (ie planet/moon capable of stustaining life)

But it seems LV stands for Leviticus 2:23

“For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings… that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the Lord.”

Leviticus 4:26 is

"And all its fat he shall burn on the altar, like the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings. So the priest shall make atonement for him for his sin, and he shall be forgiven."

How does this relate to the Alien franchise?? Is 2:23 directed at the Engineers, are human's the "sacred offerings", or is it the other way round? Shaw was the only one of faith, everybody else could be deemed ceremonially unlean.

4:46 reminded me of the first scene of Prometheus where the Engineer sacrifices itself. But 4:26 is only mentioned Alien, what stood out for me is the part about the Priest, at the end of Prometheus we see the Deacon which is according to wikipedia is a ministry in the Christian Church that is associated with service, It comes from the Greek word diakonos meaning servant/waiting-man/minister/messenger.
    Full Ted talk that you will see on the bluray version of Prometheus, it's about 3 minutes longer than the extended version that was released on youtube. A brilliant performance by Guy Pierce, I wish Ridley used the young version in the movie's holodeck scene now.

[media=vimeo]50383392

All the deleted scenes have been leaked on the web now.

Full transmission viral (just click free to stream vid) - http://www.sockshare.com/file/27CBEB056343562B

Some great aerial shots of landscapes and dances from different cultures.
  • voodazzvoodazz WORST. RACIST. EVER. Joined: Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    :rofl:

Ohhh yeah. Ninja vs Aliens. It was actually pretty entertaining in a typically ridiculous japanese way and the asian chick actually had a decent ass. Gasp.
    www.voodazz.com
    "It's okay to lie to women. They're not people like us."
    -Peter Griffin
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    gotta admit i was pretty disappointed after i watched it.

this helped me though

Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    gotta admit i was pretty disappointed after i watched it.

this helped me though

That didn't help much at all. Just some kid spouting off HIS theories as fact.
    www.voodazz.com
    -Peter Griffin
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    nah, it's not about believing everything he said- and i'm still disappointed with the movie- it's more of giving me a different pair of eyes on the work. i only watched it once, and it felt like i might have missed somethings. :rofl:
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    It just irritates me how people are making excuses for this movie, calling it only one small part in a very complex, complicated storyline that spans thousands of years and filling in the blanks with contrived borderline hyperbole.

I personally think there is no grand storyline planned and they're just making things up on the fly. The fact that the writer is the same guy who "wrote" Lost pretty much solidifies my theory.
    www.voodazz.com
    -Peter Griffin
    It just irritates me how people are making excuses for this movie, calling it only one small part in a very complex, complicated storyline that spans thousands of years and filling in the blanks with contrived borderline hyperbole.

I personally think there is no grand storyline planned and they're just making things up on the fly. The fact that the writer is the same guy who "wrote" Lost pretty much solidifies my theory.

If you get a chance to listen to the commentary, Spaihts wrote the original script, then Lidelof just rewrote certain parts. IMO Lidelof's changes were for the better, though his style of story telling isn't to everybody's taste.
  • PterodactylPterodactyl drenched in sauce Joined: Posts: 7,227
    The thing I hated the most about Prometheus is that they shoved to much shit into the plot and it didn't work.

Plot devices/story elements/whatever include: Ancient mysterious alien gods, aliens, killer alien snakes, greed, alien DNA induced space madness, the leader/captain is also an antagonist, dysfunctional crew, betrayal via machine(already done in Alien) the person who sends the protagonists on the trip is also an antagonist(done already in Alien), the humanity of a machine, the creation of man, how far someone will go in the name of science, haunted ruins, furious creator, big menacing alien hunting down the protagonist(done already in every Alien and Predator movie), struggling with faith, alien death baby that must be destroyed(done already in Alien 3), dealing with the harsh environment of a new world, a regretful creator, aliens on pre-historic earth, teaming up with the abomination that came out of you to overcome the antagonist(done in shitty ass Alien Resurrection), and Xenomorphs(or at least an Xenomorph-like creature).

If they would have picked only 3 or maybe 4 of those they could have made something far greater than what they ended up with, i'm not saying its impossible to make a good movie with a lot of stuff going on, i'm just saying they couldn't and shouldn't have tried.

Wasn't absolute shit, but it was a big let down for me.
    spread'em
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,067 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    David betraying people was an unavoidable theme since he was the first android out of Weyland Industries. It wasn't until Aliens in which it seemed like Weyland-Yutani finally perfected the AI of their androids.
    It's not about avoid-ability, its about cramming to much shit into something.
    spread'em
    The thing I hated the most about Prometheus is that they shoved to much shit into the plot and it didn't work.

Plot devices/story elements/whatever include: Ancient mysterious alien gods, aliens, killer alien snakes, greed, alien DNA induced space madness, the leader/captain is also an antagonist, dysfunctional crew, betrayal via machine(already done in Alien) the person who sends the protagonists on the trip is also an antagonist(done already in Alien), the humanity of a machine, the creation of man, how far someone will go in the name of science, haunted ruins, furious creator, big menacing alien hunting down the protagonist(done already in every Alien and Predator movie), struggling with faith, alien death baby that must be destroyed(done already in Alien 3), dealing with the harsh environment of a new world, a regretful creator, aliens on pre-historic earth, teaming up with the abomination that came out of you to overcome the antagonist(done in shitty ass Alien Resurrection), and Xenomorphs(or at least an Xenomorph-like creature).

If they would have picked only 3 or maybe 4 of those they could have made something far greater than what they ended up with, i'm not saying its impossible to make a good movie with a lot of stuff going on, i'm just saying they couldn't and shouldn't have tried.

Wasn't absolute shit, but it was a big let down for me.

I think that's partially down to the pacing, once they first set foot in the cave Ridley ramps up the pacing so nothing really sticks, theres always something around the next corner. There are a few scenes missing from the theatrical release that should have stayed in because they really help to either explain whats going on/character motivations or build up suspense. But yeh, the script could have been better and the movie could have done with an extra half hour.
    I have a feeling that the next movies will be littered with flashbacks and flash forwards and flashbacks and flash forwards within flashbacks and flash forwards (cue inception BWONG sound effect) in an attempt to plug up the holes that will no doubt continue to pop up during this "story".... sort of like.... LOST.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, but something tells me I'm not too far off base. :bluu:
    www.voodazz.com
    -Peter Griffin
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    I just don't get why Ridley keeps making inferior theatrical cuts, instead of throwing his weight around to make the movie he wants viewers to see. Strikes me as cynical.

Theatrical cuts are generally studio decisions. Prometheus was HEAVILY editted and mismarketed by studio execs, and even early on people were (rightly) worried.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
    Why couldn't they just let them make a 2 parter? I feel if they would have just cut the movie and two so they could spend more time on specific scenes or plot devices they might have been able to make it work.

Also, can someone tell me where that random ass fireaxe came from in the end? I don't remember seeing it before that scene but I did take a very quick pee break in the theatre so many I missed something.
    spread'em
    I have a feeling that the next movies will be littered with flashbacks and flash forwards and flashbacks and flash forwards within flashbacks and flash forwards (cue inception BWONG sound effect) in an attempt to plug up the holes that will no doubt continue to pop up during this "story".... sort of like.... LOST.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, but something tells me I'm not too far off base. :bluu:

Honestly don't think he will be coming back, theres so much negativity and confusion (partially Ridley fault for cutting stuff out) around the plot, if he does work on the film it will be more consulting imo.
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    do you think the stuff he cut out really made that much of a difference to the film? i thought the extended scenes with the space jockey shouldve been left in, but the other scenes didnt seem relevant to the film at all.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    Why couldn't they just let them make a 2 parter? I feel if they would have just cut the movie and two so they could spend more time on specific scenes or plot devices they might have been able to make it work.

Also, can someone tell me where that random ass fireaxe came from in the end? I don't remember seeing it before that scene but I did take a very quick pee break in the theatre so many I missed something.

2 Parters are risky and joe schmoe gets confused. I remember when Lord of the Rings came out quite a few people were pissed at the ending and didn't realize two more films were coming.

Kill Bill remains an exception though.
    STOMP!
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    do you think the stuff he cut out really made that much of a difference to the film? i thought the extended scenes with the space jockey shouldve been left in, but the other scenes didnt seem relevant to the film.
    When a movie like this gets a little too condensed, it feels like it's just throwing information at you. Personally my biggest complaint is the characters treated LV223 like it's somewhere in South America or New Mexico. And that's probably because they didn't have the time to add scenes of fear/awe/hesitation that would naturally be a part of travelling to a new planet and making the most important discovery in human history.
    Theatrical cuts are generally studio decisions. Prometheus was HEAVILY editted and mismarketed by studio execs, and even early on people were (rightly) worried.
    I'm just wondering if he's allowed to go "I'm Ridley Scott bitch" at least once in the movie industry. But I guess the only way you're allowed to make the movie you want is to gross half a bill doing some developmentally arrested comic book or teen romance BS.
    do you think the stuff he cut out really made that much of a difference to the film? i thought the extended scenes with the space jockey shouldve been left in, but the other scenes didnt seem relevant to the film.

All the Biologists scenes should have been in, the worm discovery (big deal because it literally the first alien contact for mankind), and the shed skin. I'm still okay with the SJ talking being left out, but Shaw's final showdown should have been left in, minus her successful strikes with the axe. I think I also prefer CGI Fifield(geologist attack) the finished version would have looked darn good IMO.
    I'm just wondering if he's allowed to go "I'm Ridley Scott bitch" at least once in the movie industry. But I guess the only way you're allowed to make the movie you want is to gross half a bill doing some developmentally arrested comic book or teen romance BS.

That's funny because he pretty much says that himself in the commentary! :rofl:

Fan edit is coming out soon

Looking quite good!
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,281
    Details on the blu ray
    Collider wrote:
    Prometheus 4-Disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Extras
    Disc 1
    • Theatrical Cut
    • Commentary by Director/Producer Ridley Scott
    • Commentary by Writer Jon Spaihts and Writer/Executive Producer Damon Lindelof
    • ”The Peter Weyland Files”
    • Deleted and Alternate Scenes that include an Alternate Opening / Ending
    • Prometheus - Weyland Corp Archive Second Screen App
    Disc 2
    • ”The Furious Gods: Making Prometheus”
    • Enhancement Pods
    • Weyland Corp Archive
    • Pre-Vis
    • Screen Tests
    Disc 3
    • 3D Theatrical Cut of Movie
    Disc 4
    • DVD / Digital Copy
    Prometheus 2-Disc Blu-ray Extras
    Disc 1
    • Theatrical Cut
    • Commentary by Director/Producer Ridley Scott
    • Commentary by Writer Jon Spaihts and Writer/Executive Producer Damon Lindelof
    • The Peter Weyland Files
    • Deleted and Alternate Scenes that include an Alternate Opening / Ending
    • Prometheus - Weyland Corp Archive Second Screen App
    Disc 2
    • DVD / Digital Copy
    prometheus-blu-ray-collectors-edition-501x600.jpeg
    prometheus-blu-ray-dvd-501x600.jpg

http://collider.com/prometheus-blu-ray-trailer/198729/
  • jsun2kjsun2k Do not enrage the King! Joined: Posts: 86
    For all the references the Metroid franchise has made to the Alien franchise, it's funny that Charlize Theron looks a little like Samus.

An official teaser was leaked a couple weeks ago, but it was taken down and I can't find a copy of it.

Ha. You make it sound like Scott's treated any of his movies like Lucas has treated Star Wars. I'll keep an open mind, even though there's potential for criticism already (looks like the familiar 'used future' aesthetic is out, it's going to be PG-13, etc)

Not really.

Charlize would make a PERFECT Samus!!! Why didnt i think of this?

i laughed
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is the commentary recorded before or after the movie was released? I'm curious to hear their reaction to movie goers.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,285
    So where is the best deal for the Blu-ray? Amazon seems ok.

EDITO

Also, I am going to be hella mad when they release the "final-cut" of this shit. It's like Blade Runner all over gain.

So where is the best deal for the Blu-ray? Amazon seems ok.

EDITO

Also, I am going to be hella mad when they release the "final-cut" of this shit. It's like Blade Runner all over gain.

Word is Fox wanted to release an extended version for the bluray but Ridley said no...

Also so much for the 10.11.12 hype, they went ahead and released it early :lame:

Details on the original script

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563
    wrote:
    Screenwriter Jon Spaihts On The Prometheus That Never Was
    The movie's original writer discusses kitten-like facehuggers and more

With Prometheus out on Blu-ray today, Empire spoke to the man behind the original script for Ridley Scott's sci-fi epic, Jon Spaihts, about how he originally envisaged the prequel-cum-franchise reboot. Read on to find out more about the evolution of the xenomorphs - crab-like aliens, anyone? - Scott's creepy crawly collection and David forcibly attaching a facehugger onto Shaw's fizzog.
    64734.jpg

Great expectations
    Screenwriters largely labour in silent anonymity. No-one's heard of the project you're working on, and many of those projects vanish into the void the moment you're done. By the time they do make it to market, you've moved on. But with Prometheus there was an avid, eager and pestering crowd, trying to find out about the project from the first moment it was announced that I would write it. This was the first time I've ever written something where there was an audience waiting for it.

point.gif
    point.gif
    I was conscious of my laptop having a substantial news value if I were to leave it in a coffee shop.
    point.gif
    point.gif
    There were so many people with opinions about how it should go. So many people who wanted to know what would happen. I was conscious of my laptop having a substantial news value if I were to leave it in a coffee shop. The leak would have been rather disastrous. I felt like a Cold War spy walking around with my briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

I don't believe my draft has been released into the world. There was talk for a while about my final draft being included in the Blu-ray release of the film. But I've recently heard that there are legal complications around that and it may not be happening. So I talk a bit on the Blu-ray about the creative process, but I'm not sure the draft is on there.
    I had gone into Scott Free for a general meeting, because they'd liked a script of mine. Late in the meeting, the head of the company brought up the notion of an Alien prequel and asked if I had any thoughts on it. I hadn't prepared for that and hadn't developed a story, but I found in the moment that I had a lot of opinions about it. I thought there was only one way you could go. So I started riffing in the room and held forth for 30 to 35 minutes on what the shape of the story should be and what kind of things we could do that hadn't happened before.

The medpod scene
    The medpod sequence is one of the reasons I got the job in the first place. It's one of my favourite scenes and it's visually realised in an extraordinary way.
    One of the things I realised was that we hadn't seen anyone survive a classic Alien chest bursting. And I was really intrigued by the notion that a character might be infected by the parasite and know that it was coming, know they had a timeframe of a few hours, and that we would have set up previously a nearly omnipotent medical device, designed to extend life for explorers in foreign places. Our heroine would have a short time to get to the machine and extract the thing inside her. It was a very gory sequence and it plays out very much like the sequence in the film. The main difference is in choreography. At the end of the sequence as I first conceived it, the heroine manages to get the creature extracted from her and it is expelled from the pod and she's sealed inside, whereas in the final film it goes the other way.

Then she lapses in and out of consciousness for a number of hours as the machine puts her back together. As she comes back to consciousness, she sees the thing growing in the cabin outside and even killing people. So by the time she emerges from the pod eight hours later, the thing is abroad in the ship and big enough to be a huge danger. That was the original conception of the medpod scene.
    In the final film, obviously, that monster has been de-Alien-ised and become something a little more new and hybridised. And it's trapped inside the medpod while she rolls out, and it grows into something dangerous that's pushed to the end of the film.

As for how she recovers from her surgery so fast - well, it was more of a protracted process in my original notion. My script underwent a number of major evolutions as we were working on it, and then Damon came in and made further changes still. But that sequence and its place in the story was one of the anchors.
    64736.jpg

The ever-changing xenomorphs
    I wrote five different drafts of the script, working with Ridley very closely over about nine months. And even as we were working, we were constantly toying with the closeness of the monsters in the film to the original xenomorph. You can see an interesting balance, even looking at the movies in the Alien franchise, between homage and evolution. In every film you'll see that the design of the Alien shifts - the shape of the carapace, the shape of the body - and some of that is to with new technology available to realise the monsters, but a lot of is just a director's desire to do something new.

point.gif
    point.gif
    Ridley and I were looking for ways to make the xenomorphs new.
    point.gif
    point.gif
    And so he was always pushing for some way in which that Alien biology could have evolved. We tried different paths in that way. We imagined that there might be eight different variations on the xenomorphs - eight different kinds of Alien eggs you might stumble across, eight kinds of slightly different xenomorph creatures that could hatch from them. And maybe even a rapid process of evolution, still ongoing, in these Alien laboratories where these xenomorphs were developed. So Ridley and I were looking for ways to make the xenomorphs new.
    We did a bunch of things that are still represented in the final film. We toyed with the notion that the xenomorphs might have a soft carapace like a soft-shelled crab, and be flexible and able to squeeze through cracks; that they might be pale rather than black; that they might retain inside some gelatinous cowl some resemblance of the human being in whom they'd incubated. We played with a lot of ghoulish notions like that.

Different head shapes - we toyed with a peaked head shape that you actually see in the creature that hatches from the Engineer at the end of Prometheus. And Ridley is a great and ghoulish collector of horrible natural oddities, real parasites and predators from the natural world. He had a tremendous file of photography of real, ghastly creatures from around the world - they're chilling, some of them! He would tell these tales with relish, of wasps that would drill into the backs of beetles and plant larvae, or become mind-control creatures. Terrible things happen, especially the smaller you get. As you get into the insect world or the microbial world, savage atrocities are perpetrated by one creature on another. And Ridley was thrilled with all of them. They inspired a lot of the designs and a lot of the ideas we tried.
    64739.jpg

Finding a new menace
    The creature did change in some pretty dramatic ways from draft to draft. But the most dramatic change was the removal of the xenomorph from the film. That was a shift that happened at the same time as I stepped off the film. A lot of that push came from the studio very high up; they were interested in doing something original and not one more franchise film. That really came to a head at the studio - the major push to focus on the new mythology of Prometheus and dial the Aliens as far back as we could came down from the studio.

So one of Damon's major jobs when he came onboard was to replace the menaces of the xenomorphs with other things. Largely the other menaces in the film were present in my drafts as well - there was a black mutagenic compound that could change people in unpredictable way, Fyfield did morph into a monster and become a real danger in his own right, and of course the Engineers, the Space Jockeys, proved to be terribly dangerous creatures. In my draft, as well, we did resurrect one and he tore off David's head. Much of the mayhem of the final film was present in the drafts I wrote, but the xenomorphs were the major change, as well as the stockpiling of this black liquid as opposed to Alien eggs.

I did have facehuggers in my original draft. David, as he began to get fascinated by the science of the Engineers, doesn't deliberately contaminate Holloway with a drop of black liquid. Instead, Holloway hubristically removes his helmet in the chamber, is knocked unconscious, facehugged and wakes up not knowing what had been done to him, and stumbles back into the ship. In my draft, he returns to his cabin, is embraced by Shaw, who is delighted to see him having feared that he had died, and the two of them make love. And it's while they're making love that he bursts and dies. So that lovemaking sequence echoed my original lovemaking sequence where he explodes! It was messy.

Subsequently, David, fascinated by these creatures, begins delaying the mission and going off the reservation on his own, essentially because he thinks he really belongs with the Engineers. They're smart enough and sophisticated enough, great enough, to be his peers. He's harboring a deep-seated contempt for his human makers. So at one point Shaw goes to stop him and David ties her up and deliberately exposes her to a facehugger. He caresses an egg open and out comes a facehugger. David doesn't smell like a person - his breath isn't moist - so he can handle the thing like a kitten. It doesn't want him; it's not interested. But then he exposes it to her and it goes for her like a shot. He toys with her for a bit and then lets it take her. That, in my draft, was how Shaw was implanted with the parasite that she had to remove with the medpod sequence.
    64738.jpg

David and Shaw
    In my draft David was a little more bloody-handed and the scene with his betrayal was a little more baroque.
    point.gif
    point.gif
    In my draft David was a little more bloody-handed.
    point.gif
    point.gif
    I left the two of them on the surface of that planetoid. It was plain that David and Shaw were going to have to work together and deal with one another if they were to survive. That one shot of the ship taking off in the finished film really focuses you on a particular outcome, whereas my ending was much more open as to what was going to happen next. But it was very much about this shattered android and this scarred woman being left with no-one but each other to carry on with.

I did have a plan for multiple films and the conversations I had with Ridley was about a new franchise, from the beginning. We talked about a possible trilogy, or a duology, but more often as a trilogy. And I did have pretty broad notions as to how we were going to get from this world to the original Alien - the baton pass, closing the circle, if you will. So yes, I did have plans for two other films. I came up with an even more twisted sequence than the Medpod, but I cannot tell you what happens...
    My vision of the trilogy would have involved the arrival of the Yutani Company and a couple of other major plays around the Engineers themselves: the revelation of an additional grand Engineer design, and the possibility of seeking an Engineer homeworld. That shot of the ship flying at the end offers a lot of creative ways to play with this. But it feels like it brackets you into the search for the Engineer homeworld and home civilisation. That's an interesting challenge.

Interview by Nick de Semlyen

Original script sounds pretty badass actually
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    So any word on where to go to get the best pricing on the 4-disc set? I'm hoping for another steal like getting Avenger's 5-disc from target for $20.
    - :bluu:
    Word is Fox wanted to release an extended version for the bluray but Ridley said no...

Also so much for the 10.11.12 hype, they went ahead and released it early :lame:

Details on the original script

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1563

Original script sounds pretty badass actually

Agreed. I would have enjoyed this version MUCH more.
    www.voodazz.com
    -Peter Griffin
  • UnreallysticUnreallystic Painyatta Joined: Posts: 13,171
    got a 3D copy for consumption so I can FINALLY see this damn movie.
    got a 3D copy for consumption so I can FINALLY see this damn movie.
    Sucka.
    www.voodazz.com
    -Peter Griffin
    For anyone interested, live stream of the fan cut (basically all the deleted scenes included in the movie+some tweaks) here http://www.blogtv.com/people/beepthejeep

This on the torrents?
    STOMP!
    Looking back Prometheus wasn't bad by any stretch. I can imagine any casual viewer enjoying it on it's own merits but also frustrated at the lack of answers. Die hards like me are even more pissed because of those lack of answers.

A lot of little things in the deleted scenes should have been left in. More obvious would be the extended opening, the discovery of the worm/first life form scene, the Space Jockey talking, the extended chase with the Jockey, and David saying the Jockey said he came from Paradise. Whoever made the decision to excise those scenes really fucked up. The theatrical cut during the finale just makes the Jockey out to be an evil alien. The deleted scenes give the impression that the whole thing may have been a misunderstanding.

Keep that Lost screenwriter far away from a sequel and just tell us the purpose of the alien, why cave drawings give directions to a chemical weapons facility, what happened with the ship on LV426, and anything else.
    STOMP!
    Full details on what's in and out of the fan edit can be read here http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?7925-Prometheus-Weyland-Investors-Extended-Cut-TRAILER-INCLUDED
    NVRdQ.jpg

http://weylandinvestors.com
    http://facebook.com/weylandinvestors
    http://twitter.com/weylandinvestor

Original Movie Title: Prometheus
    Fanedit Title: Prometheus - Weyland Investors Extended Cut
    Filename: WEYLANDINVESTORS.720p.x264.mp4
    Directed by: Ridley Scott
    Original runtime: 02:04:03
    Fanedit runtime: 02:19:33
    Format/resolution: 1280x536 (720p) x264 .mp4/AAC 2ch 320kbps

Cutlist:
    Slight modification to Fox fanfare (props to anyone who guesses what it is)
    "Arrival of the Engineers" extended prologue scene added
    "T'is the Season" extended scene added
    "Our First Alien "scene added
    "Skin" scene added
    "We're Not Alone Anymore" scene added
    "Strange Bedfellows" alternate scene added
    "Holloway Hungover" scene added
    "David's Objective" scene added
    "Janek fills Vickers in" scene added
    "A King has his Reign" alternate scene added
    "Fifield Attacks" alternate scene added
    "The Engineer Speaks" extended scene added
    "Final Battle" extended scene added
    "Paradise" scene added
    Theatrical footage/audio used wherever possible in the new scenes, extended/alternate scenes replace their theatrical counterparts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file