Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

Comments

• crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,193
    He was only in it for the paycheck, he knows whats up.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,191
    I'm hoping the trailers are a bait to draw in the more casual sci-fi audience. Typical Xenomorph stuff, but the movie actually does expand upon the world building that Prometheus set up.

The world building in Prometheus was garbage and made no sense. Let it die, I say...
    They've shown too much again.
    This is still a prequel to the original Aliens so of course we're going to see the same type of xenomorphs we've seen before, with slight differences. They'll also introduce the runner Alien, that's the cat like Xenomorph in Alien3 that's slighter thinner but much faster than the regular Xenomorph, and a new Xenomorph with longer fingers, not exactly much of a variation for these two but there's another type that we don't know too much about that burst out of the hosts mouth, in one particular scene when this happens the android David looks on in awe/admiration as it kills a crew member by ejecting out of his/her mouth. This version of David is supposed to be an updated less evil version of the David we saw in Prometheus. I know this android has different name I just forgot what it was.

The only problem I have with this is the CGI, it looks really outdated. I really hope it looks a lot better when it's released. They need to go back to using practical effects. One reason Alien3 flopped was because the CGI looked like garbage.

.... Oh, I forgot to mention the giant king Alien is also in this, and if you look closely in the trailer I think we finally get to see the Engineers planet, which isn't the planet they're currently on, maybe its a flashback scene. My theory is I think the Prometheus David engineered the Xenomorphs I'm convinced he's the person wearing the engineers cloak in the trailer.

Also in Alien 3 they showed too much of the Xenomorphs. Monster movies always work better when the fear is psychological the same is said about Jaws.

The showed the damn thing in full view+broad daylight! So weird! Also troubling is the fact that nearly every single creature effect is digital. You see a handful of seconds of a guy in a suit during one sequence in the movie but the practical stuff has mostly been abandoned.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm hoping the trailers are a bait to draw in the more casual sci-fi audience. Typical Xenomorph stuff, but the movie actually does expand upon the world building that Prometheus set up.

The world building in Prometheus was garbage and made no sense. Let it die, I say...

Because it'd be more interesting than This Totally Isn't Alien.
    edited March 2
    I don't think they are even trying to pull a "This totally isn't Alien" its so blatant. They are reacting to the criticisms of Prometheus being vaguely connected to the Alien franchise. Putting Alien in the title, putting the classic Xeno in your face. They want to make it as clear as possible that this is an Alien film.
  • CrystalCoreCrystalCore Joined: Posts: 465
    I take it most peoples' expectations for this movie are low, then?
    @CrystalCore Like Prometheus, the visuals will be beautiful at least. Scott always prioritized visuals and flow over plotting, character development etc. It's become more pronounced over the years.
    I don't think they are even trying to pull a "This totally isn't Alien" its so blatant. They are reacting to the criticisms of Prometheus being vaguely connected to the Alien franchise. Putting Alien in the title, putting the classic Xeno in your face. They want to make it as clear as possible that this is an Alien film.

"This Totally Isn't Alien" doesn't mean it's not an Alien movie, but rather it's just 1979 Alien rewrapped in shiny new packaging.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    Are you guys quoting him from interviews he did before production even began? Remember we were going to have 2 movies, Ridley's and Blomkamp's project, now we just have just 1.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,181
    This shit seems wack. Prometheus was in no way the perfect film, but it was on to something. Not hyped at all but will still watch cuz I'm a mark lol.

I wish Blomkamp's Alien movie had happened instead of Prometheus...
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,693
    I wish Blomkamp's Alien movie had happened instead of Prometheus...

Did you not watch Elysum and Chappie? The guy is a one hit wonder. He would be well out of his depth doing a big franchise like Alien.
    I need to disagree with that, I get Blomkamp can get hated on because both Elysum and Chappie were shot exactly the same way as the far superior District 9, didnt help the later movies had some pretty nice albeit non original and cliched stories. The choreography and action from these movies however are top tier and would definitely serve to make a great Aliens movie, just not a great Alien movie.

Look Blomkamp isn't the greatest writer. I think he probably blew his wad with District 9. He just needs to team up with an awesome screenwriter.
    It's the same trailer except they say some naughty words. lol
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Blomkamp imo is somewhat underrated. people aren't taking in account all the sneaky stuff he puts in his films which flesh out the universes.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
    I think its incredible that some people just instinctually pick up on stuff like that. Id just go straight into a hate filled tirade if I cared about it enough.

• AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,033
    edited March 12
    Prometheus had great concepts, great ideas and a great cast behind it.

Problem was, from a filmmaking stand-point, it was an incompetently made piece of shit. I'm hoping Ridely Scott hasn't gotten over the hill like George Lucas.

This guy gets it and breaks things down:

Post edited by AlphaCharlie on
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,033
    edited March 13
    Uhhhh. Getting flashbacks of Prometheus already with this Walter promo. Not a good sign. It's just like the ones with David.

Post edited by AlphaCharlie on
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,181
    edited March 24
    Poster is actually pretty sick.

Also.
    2w7jrdj.jpg
    Picture+14.png
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

I hope that pretentious crap doesn't make it into the final film. That was part of the reason Prometheus was such a fail.
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Joined: Posts: 3,509
    if you cant wait, i recommend watching Life
    gave a bit of alien vibe and was pretty good
    I went and saw Life yesterday. It was certainly a fun movie. Nothing ground breaking, but it was a tense, fun ride. Not particularly scary though.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 19
    Considering I am an enormous fan of the Alien Franchise, I am surprised I haven't posted here before. Will subscribe.

Quick run through.

Alien - Love
    Aliens - Really really like
    Alien3 - LOVE!!!!! Favorite, especially Assembly Cut.
    Alien Resurrection - It's okay as an offshoot. Story of Ellen Ripley ended with 3 anyway.

Prometheus - Took me a while to get around but love it now. So happy that Ridley came back.

Cannot fucking wait for Covenant.
    Prometheus was such a turd I just can't get excited for this. Hope it defies my expectations.
    Prometheus was such a turd I just can't get excited for this. Hope it defies my expectations.

If anything the trailer gives the impression we're going to get very little "Prometheus" and more "Alien".
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,257
    edited April 21
    The new tv spots with new scenes mixed in with the old trailer.

Look at the size of that face hugger!!. Correct me i I'm wrong but I think it's supposed to be the "royal face hugger" that gives birth to the queen.

• po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,821
    Xenomorph reproductive biology is weird as fuck.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    it was (relatively) simple before all the sequels. facehuggers impregnate males of a species. males give birth to xenomorphs. xenomorphs create the eggs that hold facehuggers.

original Alien was a male rape allegory.
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,076
    edited April 21
    Yea this is the side effect of trying to expand on something that had a simple premise and message. By trying to flesh it out you add a bunch of shit that was never meant to be there in the first place. This isn't a case of filling in holes in a mythology, but plugging holes that don't actually exist. Kinda why I never gave a fuck about the Space Jockey. It was never important.

But Aliens hasn't been about rape in a long time so I guess the theme isn't really relevant anymore anyway. It's not really in Prometheus at all for example.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited April 21
    it was (relatively) simple before all the sequels. facehuggers impregnate males of a species. males give birth to xenomorphs. xenomorphs create the eggs that hold facehuggers.

They do not only impregnate males. Facehuggers target any viable host, regardless of sex. Ripley had a Xenomorph inside of her in 3. A colonist in Aliens was shown having a chestburster come out of her. A face hugger also tried to hug Ripley and Newt in Aliens when Burk set one loose while they were sleeping.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,076
    edited April 21
    Right, but in the original movie the screen writers objective was to make male viewers uncomfortable by raping and impregnating men and that is what Shaft Agent is referring to. It was very purposeful choice by the screen writer and Ridley Scott to have the men be the ones getting violated and not the women.

Shaft very specifically refers to the first movie being "Simple before all the sequels."
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited April 21

They do not only impregnate males. Facehuggers target any viable host, regardless of sex. Ripley had a Xenomorph inside of her in 3. A colonist in Aliens was shown having a chestburster come out of her. A face hugger also tried to hug Ripley and Newt in Aliens when Burk set one loose while they were sleeping.

only males were owned in Alien
    True, but that doesn't mean males are only targeted. Within the context of the story and universe, the first victim was coincidentally a male.
    True, but that doesn't mean males are only targeted. Within the context of the story and universe, the first victim was coincidentally a male.
    you're right for xeno attacks, but i'm not 100% sure it was a coincidence a male was the 1st. they definitely imply that xenos (at least the drones) have male affinity. even in the sequel James Cameron even went out of his way to give info on Lambert being MtF trans.

niPp3pD.jpg

i'll need to watch it again, but i can't remember a single woman that was killed in Aliens by a drone xeno.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 998
    edited April 21
    Not only guys got owned. Lambert got owned too (though off-screen). She was a woman, one of only two on-board. We know what happened to the other one :wink:

...and by the look of where that tail was headin'...it seems like Lambert got some "back door" action on her way out.

@1:22
    read that first sentence on the picture above your post.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 998
    edited April 21
    [EDIT] wait.. holy shit. Lady was (formerly) a dude?!

Mind blown. Pays to read the fine print.

[EDIT] Or maybe she was Arcturian. Then it doesn't matter.
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,257
    edited April 21
    SZ0hTrWl.jpg

I guess we now know what David did to the Space Jockey's planet.

iO0wngsl.jpg

ig4lytj438qg9cklnqra.gif